Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
edited July 2014 in Mazda
Tell us about shopping for your new CX-9!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    We ordered a CX-9 the day the order form became available to our dealer back in October. We anticipate delivery sometime in the next 3-4 weeks here in NE Ohio at Fred Vincent Mazda/VW. I don't know if it's because we also bought another car from them but our initial deal was $1K over invoice. When the PLG became a late intro, they offered to reduce the price by $500 (which includes the price of the PLG.) Therefore, we're paying about $800 over invoice and they're throwing in the $100 Mazda all-weather floor mats. Call it net $700 over invoice.

I'm relatively happy with the deal for our fairly loaded GT CX-9. I can't wait to give you our initial reaction to the vehicle...which we've never seen!

Jay
  • goodhandsgoodhands Member Posts: 8
    CX-9 Touring with Moonroof and Bose. MSRP $33490.00 and purchase price of $31,355.54. First CX-9 sold at Bill Hood Mazda in Hammond, La. :shades:
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Seems like Mazda is dealing. I wonder why all the $$'s of MSRP on a new vehicle?
  • suv4betsysuv4betsy Member Posts: 38
    Local dealer newspaper ad - CX-9 Sport model - $4021 off MSRP but caution, I think this is tied into a high pct finance package - seeking out the fine print!!!
  • srinaldisrinaldi Member Posts: 22
    I have a local deal for $2600 off MSRP of $35030. I had another deal at $3046 off, but dealer claimed they would honor that price on that one vehicle but not on searching out the one I want. The $3046 was off the exact one I want but it had the rear entertainment and I wanted the sunroof instead.
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    srinaldi - what trim did you pick to get that price? Touring or Grand Touring with what options?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • jimflysjimflys Member Posts: 4
    I would like some feed back from the owners of the CX-9. Looking at the CX-9 I love everything except the fuel mileage. Is the mileage quote only 16-22?
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    18/24 FWD
    16/22 AWD

Some competitors just for reference

Freestyle
    20/27 FWD
    19/24 AWD

Acadia/Outlook
    18/26 FWD
    17/24 AWD

Veracruz
    18/25 FWD
    17/24 AWD
    The trim was a Grand Touring with the Bose and sunroof package. I picked it up last night for what the dealer claims $200 under invoice. They wanted the business since Feb was a very slow month for them.
  • tstormytstormy Member Posts: 6
    srinaldi
    can you do me a favor
    Take a look under your cx-9 and look to see if you have a cover (skirt, plastic thing) under the engine.

On mine it looks like there are fastener points there but no cover

let me know
    thanks
  • joesmith1joesmith1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone purchased or started negotiating for a CX-9 in the Boston area?

If so, what dealers have you spoken with and what prices have you heard?

I am looking for a CX-9 Grand Touring AWD with the ASSISTANCE PACKAGE (with power open and close rear hatch) and MOONROOF/BOSE/6 CD PACKAGE.

Thank you...
    There isn't a cover for the engine, but there is a small cover up towards the front of the motor covering what should be the radiator area.
  • gdaf1gdaf1 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Black Cherry Mica GT AWD w/ Moonroof/Bose. Paid $33431 for the car plus $237 for TTL. Purchase was in Portland, OR.
  • tstormytstormy Member Posts: 6
    thanks srinaldi

same as mine. went to the dealer to pick up my plates yesterday and peaked under a couple of CX-9s and I guess there is not a cover

thanks again
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    Talked to our local dealer yesterday and test drove the CX-9 GT AWD. He said that Mazda was being aggressive about marketing early, to get cars out on the road. Thus, the deals (purchase and lease). You should be able to get within $500 of invoice EASILY (and probably better) and they are offering some nice lease programs.

The car drove very well. I did not find the 20's too harsh, but I drive a BMW X3, so perhaps I am used to the harsh drive. The handling, for a car that big, was very good. Acceleration was acceptable, not outstanding. Cargo room, third row, and access to third row were good (as advertised), although you need to move the second row up for a six footer (like me) to be comfortable enough in the third row. The interior was surprisingly nice, with the two tone sand/black color scheme.

I also drove an Acadia- definitely more cargo room, and a bit more comfortable in the third row, but handling, while pretty good, wasn't as good as the Mazda. And, the GMC interior was not quite as nice. Also, GMC was not as willing to deal on the price as Mazda.

All in all, the Mazda was more enjoyable, but the Acadia more functional (with the room) to serve in the place of a minivan.

Now, let's see that the wife likes...
  • jimflysjimflys Member Posts: 4
    I actually wanted real life numbers. but thanks away. I test drove one on Friday and it had a "Stiff" ride. I think I'm going to go with the Acura RDX. It's going to fit my needs
  • btown1211btown1211 Member Posts: 9
    How long, in general, from filling out the order form to final delivery? I know that the CX-9's are built in Japan, so it is a bit longer than for cars built in North America.

We test drove the CX-9 last weekend and are going to buy one, but none of the dealers in the area has the features we want (either they're too loaded or don't have enough), so we're going to place an order for what we really want. Just curious as to the typical delivery times.

Thanks!
    My dealer did a locate and found what we wanted and had it within 2 days. I could have ordered which I think was around 2-3 months or do a dealer locate.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    How long, in general, from filling out the order form to final delivery? I know that the CX-9's are built in Japan, so it is a bit longer than for cars built in North America.

If the dealer can't or won't change an order that is already in the system your looking at apx 4 months depending on your location. For orders going in this month your looking at may/june production and depending on your location the CX will spend 3-8 weeks on the boat....
    thanks for the quick response. Looks like I might be waiting a while - I can't find any GT FWD's anywhere in a 150 mile radius (searching thru Mazda's web site) - they're all AWD's.

I hope it will be worth the wait!
  • mdwnbmdwnb Member Posts: 8
    Very interesting. On a side note. I drive a BMW 325i with sports tuned suspension and large high performance tires..and triptronic. I LOVE my car and will be mourning the end of my lease in 20 days. I have been spoiled by the handling on my car and have found it difficult to downgrade in cars. I test drove the Mazda 3 with 2.3L and liked it enough to buy and pay off in 4 years and hand down to the daughter. I sat in the CX-9 and seems very comfy but did not test drive. The dealer however had a surcharge of 10K for limited availability (THEY MUST BE DOING DRUGS)they also had a surcharge of 5K on the CX-7! These dealers hear in Miami are vile and vicious. The sick part is that most consumers put up with that and accept all that added crap on the car. Mileage seems crappy for the CX-9 and I am still biased on the BMW. I test drove the X3 and loved it. By far the funnest little sort of cross over. Would like to see what the reliability and residuals would be on this car first. My 2 cents.
    BMW Lover For Life (Owner in my next after life) :cry:
  • cjazoomcjazoom Member Posts: 9
    Less than a week ago, I bought a stormy blue GT CX-9 for $2,000.00 below MSRP. I called around different dealers in the So Cal area and they all were offering me about the same discount off MSRP. I went with my local dealer because they were the only ones who had the stormy blue in the entire area. I guess they say it's the hot color. I'm lovin it.....can't wait to get off work to go drive it! :)
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    Which dealer in So Cal did you purchase your car from? Also, what kind of interest rate were you able to get?
    I bought the Grand Touring with navigation, bose, moonroof, auto dimming mirror and remote start. I believe those were all the extra options I purchased. Oh and I bought it at Patterson's Mazda in Tustin. The auto-dimming mirror was already installed and it wasn't an option I wanted, but I sure am glad I have it now. It makes an incredible difference at night, it reduces the glade tremendously! So total price was $36,100.00. My interest rate was 6.75% because I went super long term. Probably could have gotten lower if I didn't want such a long term.
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Seems like you got a good deal. Is this a AWD or FWD?
    I went to Mazda web site to build with your options. For FWD MSRP is $37730 and AWD $38930, so you are getting slightly less than $2000 off for FWD or more than $2500 off for AWD?
    My MSRP was $38,100.00
    I got the FWD. Didn't think I needed the AWD and I didn't want to lose any on the gas mileage.
    So how do you like the CX-9 so far? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the CX-9 or the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia. Did you test drive other SUVs (or CUVs) before you purchased the CX-9?
    You must have got something more than that. The FWD Grand Touring with Bose/sunroof runs MSRP $35030 and the remote start $350 and auto dim mirror $250 for a grand total MSRP of $35630.
    I think you're forgetting to add the $595 destination charge.
    I absolutely love it.....

The stereo is awesome, the handling is fun. The ride is just a bit hard but what do you expect with those big wheels. The cabin is quite and luxurious. And my favorite feature is the bluetooth that is navigated by voice. My only qualm is the lack of trip computer.If I had a choice of driving my boyfriend's lexus gs or the cx-9.....I'd say I'd rather drive the cx-9!

I didn't test drive any of the ones you mentioned, but i test drove the jeep wrangler and the jeep grand cherokee. I actually ordered a rubicon wrangler. But my commute is going to increase to about 85 miles a day so I thought I needed something with better MPG and a better, smoother ride.
    I went back and looked at my window sticker and I also had satellite radio, $430.00 How could I forget, the first thing I did was go home and have my account transfered from my trade-in to my new car. Oh and the car came with 6 months of satellite.
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Now things add up ;) The rear hatch on the two CX-9s I looked at can be closed with one hand but do need some effort. My wife wants to wait for the power liftgate...

The dealer said power liftgate option can be ORDERD in April and probably takes another 2 months before it'll arrive.

Do you find the rear hatch hard to close on yours?
    Yes, it is hard to close. I'm thinking in the future that might be an option I can have installed. But then again, it's just another elect. component that can break down. I can live with the hard to close.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The dealer said power liftgate option can be ORDERD in April and probably takes another 2 months before it'll arrive.

FYI...All orders going in this month forward will be for the 2008 model. This months orders will be for Aug/September arrival.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    Hi. I've had my GT for a little over a week now. I didn't think the hatch was really that hard to open and close, but I also don't think it's an easy one-handed operation. Mine came with the Rear Seating Entertainment System which my daughter really enjoys. So far it's proven to be a very good buy! I'm having the splash guards installed next week... :)
  • zplnfanzplnfan Member Posts: 18
    After considerable research and many test drives - 4 of Acadia and 2 of Mazda CX-9 and 1 each of Ford Edge, Rav 4, Santa Fe, and Mirano - I just ordered an Acadia. I was torn on the CX-9, but ultimately the slightly smoother and more quiet drive and the ease of the manual transmission mode sold me on the Acadia. And going from a convertible, I REALLY like the two sun roofs on the Acadia. If you're not in the market for the things that sold me on the Acadia, then I think you'd be really happy with the CX-9 too.

My comments on the other cars - Rav 4 has many advantages, but the ride was rough - about the same as the Santa Fe (which, by the way, has excellent safety ratings and the new design can compete with the best of them). The Edge's braking was totally UNacceptable. It had been my favorite before test drives (also has two sun roofs) - afterward, my least fav. The Murano was fine, but didn't offer the third row seating. I'm a researcher when it comes to making major purchases, but my choices are driven first by the appearance of the car - I have to like walking up to it every time I go to work or leave the office. So the safest car with the most features at the lowest price has no appeal if I don't like looking at it.

Hope that helps.
    The Acadia was a very nice vehicle. I didn't test drive it, but like the looks and the available dual roofs (wish the rear actually opened). My only complaint was the lack of tiptronic and if you load it comparible to the CX-9 it was a little more.

I based part of my decision on the past ratings of GMC's Envoy which was rated poorly. Either way both the CX-9 and the Acadia are new with no reliability history.

I can tell you now the one disadvantage of cleaning the CX-9 (washed it today for the first time) is the roof is very hard to reach (20 inch wheels). I had to pull out the ladder and wipe off the roof.
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    I took a test drive of the CX-9 today (and am also in So Cal). None of the semi-nearby dealers had any GT AWD's with NAV; based on the comments here, I tried Tustin Mazda. They had a couple. Right on the showroom floor was the vehicle I'd possibly want - deep blue, black interior, NAV, moonroof. It also had the towing package, which I could care less about. MSRP was $38,855.

I also wanted the tonneau cover and the mirror/homelink which they said they'd add - for well OVER what the options cost (total of $807 - $540 for just the mirror/homelink and installation).

I first asked about a lease. With $2500 drive-off, 39 months, they quoted me MSRP plus the extras. Money factor was a whopping .00241 (and that was before they even checked my credit; they were supposedly using tier 1 numbers or just under) and a 56% residual. They quoted $643/month including the 8.25% CA sales tax. I calculated it out and got something like $615. Not sure where the extra $30 a month came from - and they couldn't explain it, either.

Eventually, they came down to $586 a month (they took some off the selling price).

Then I asked about financing, since it wasn't all that more for a 72 month loan than the lease. Well, they couldn't offer the same discount. They'd give me a total of $1,000 off MSRP - plus the full cost of the extras (which is much higher than if they had been in the car from the factory).
    With the same $2500 down (but none going to acquisition fees or first month lease since there isn't one), roughly $350 in DMV fees (I'm guesstimating) and with 72 months at 6.99%, payments would come out to around $676.

Personally, I think they should give me a bit more off on the car (I haven't given an ok yet - we went off to dinner (in my OWN car - they wanted to ensure we'd be back by letting us take the CX-9) and didn't return). I also think they should give me the extras for much closer to what they'd be as built-in options; it isn't exactly MY fault that they were stupid enough to order a basically loaded car without something as simple as the mirror/homelink option.

Comments?
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    And adding to my diatribe (grin)...

I'm at a loss as to whether to get a CX-9 or a Lexus RX350. I'm at the end of my lease on an RX300.

I don't have kids so realistically, the 3rd row of seats is pretty useless - however as a computer consultant, the extra space (100 cu. ft. vs 80 for the Lexus) is useful.

I think the CX is prettier. My current vehicle is that deep blue as is my fiancee's Lexus IS. Getting that same blue CX would be nice - I just love that color.

The RX gets a bit better gas mileage. It has better acceleration and better braking; the CX just "feels" heavy. I think the Lexus seating is more comfortable, especially with a 10 way driver and passenger seats versus the Mazda's 8 and 4, respectively. The ride in the CX isn't bad at all, but the Lexus just feels more "luxury." Wouldn't be bad if the CX were trading some off-road capability or something but it isn't, in fact, the specs I saw rated the approach and departure angles as being much higher for the Lexus than the Mazda (that's how steep a hill you can go up or down). The Mazda has that nice 6-speed manual-override transmission versus the Lexus standard 5-speed, but I think it would make more of a difference if the Mazda actually could "zoom-zoom" (but being as heavy as it is, it doesn't).

Lexus has a better warranty all around - 1 year more on bumper to bumper, 1 year more on drive train, 1 year more on corrosion (which isn't much of an issue in California).

I can lease an RX350 AWD for $574 a month for 48 months. Certainly, leasing a CX-9 for $586 for 39 months isn't a good deal - more money for what amounts to a cheaper vehicle. Buying an RX350 would be way too expensive. I'm way low mileage so leasing isn't an issue - and with my own business, leasing is an easier and greater tax writeoff.

So it seems to boil down to leasing an RX or buying the CX. And whether I want more space in a bigger car that's probably not quite as nice.
    It seems you would be happier with the Lexus. You really don't need the extra space and the accelaration is better on the Lexus with more of a luxury feel-that seems to be the way to go.

The only reason I would not go that route is the fact it is a business writeoff. Since that is the case and it is not really costing you the same as "you" paying for the payments, it would be a nice way to "test out" the CX-9.
    I would try to negotiate a better deal. I got $2600 off on a GT stickered at $35000 and worked a deal on adding the Homelink mirror and a couple other options/accessories.

The real issue right now with a new car/model is there is not a whole bunch of crazy deals to be had. If you really love the car and have the funds, is an extra $1000 or $1500 off really making a difference? I always want to work the best deal, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth the aggrevation just to get that extra $$ off. Over a 60 month term the monthly difference is minimal.

You can get a better deal than that, but if you really want the car and that is the best you can do-buy it.
    We have S-Plan pricing through my wife's employer. Which is nice b/c we don't have to negotiate - we get the dealer's invoice price with no haggling, whatever options and add-ins we get are also under the S-Plan price.

Found the CX-9 we wanted in another dealer's inventory on the internet. GT FWD with moonroof & Bose upgrade. Those were the only features I really cared about, don't need the AWD or Nav., and could benefit from the slightly better mileage since I drive 40 miles a day. I asked the local in-town dealer to have the car I found located here. They wanted me to put a $500 deposit down to make sure I was serious...

Yeah, right. :confuse: What's up with that? Of course I'm serious, I wouldn't be there asking them to get the car for me if I weren't! I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and walked out the door but not before I had filled out a credit app.

So I called the dealer who has the car in their inventory and am going to deal with them directly. They're only 45 miles away so it's not that big of a deal. Turns out the car is still in Seattle, not even unloaded from the container. Hopefully it will be here soon! Anyway, this has been a bizarre buying experience. Even with the non-negotiable pricing, it's been a hassle. But I still want that car! :)
    I test drove the CX-9 and the Saturn Outlook...the CX-9 felt so nimble compared to the Outlook. My wife drove the CX-9 as well and she loved it. After she drove the CX-9 we went to the GMC dealer and the moment she sat in the driver's seat she said it felt too big. I'm still going to wait and see how reliable both cars are before I make a decision on which one to purchase.
    Can I ask what you paid? That was the same options I went after and my brother has the S plan, but I think I negotiated a better deal than the plan.
    Haven't bought it yet... but the MSRP is $35030, and the S-Plan price is $31279. $3750 off the sticker price isn't too bad in my opinion! ;)

BTW, we also test drove the Outlook and Dodge Nitro (I know, not even in the same ballpark here). I had the same impressions - CX-9 is much more nimble and fun to drive, the Outlook seemed ponderous and sluggish. And the external dimensions are a bit bigger so it wouldn't have fit into my tiny garage... The Nitro doesn't even compare to the CX-9 in performance, fuel economy, or cargo / passenger capacity.
  • shlaflafshlaflaf Member Posts: 2
    CX-9 Touring
    Rear Seat Entertainment
    Towing Package

Price Paid: $31,978 (Invoice Price)
    Internet based negotiations with several dealerships.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    That's exactly what my wife said, only with the Acadia! :D

I'm waiting to see the new Veracruz before I make any decisions. It has all the same legroom (more headroom) but less cargo space. It's wider than the CX-9 but shorter by 9". It has a bit better power to weight ratio and turning radius. They both use Aisin 6-speed automatic transmissions. It doesn't have nav or bluetooth available, but that's not important to me. You can, however, get the moonroof and entertainment system together.
    I can get the S-Plan price through my work as well and it is not as low as the price you have ($31,279). Is it possible you're forgetting to include something? Here is a breakdown of the MSRP and the S-Plan price that I can get:

MSRP Car: 32,675
    MSRP Moonroof & Bose: 1,760
    Destination: 595
    Total MSRP: 35,030

S-Plan Car: 30,215
    S-Plan Moonroof & Bose: 1,514
    Destination: 595
    Total S-Plan: 32,324

So that's 2,706 off the sticker price, not 3,750.
    I agree, I don't think the S plan is that much off. I had my brother check into it and they were ball parking the best scenario was around $2500 off. I negotiated $2600 off the same vehicle (MSRP $35030) and went that route.
  • jodonyjodony Member Posts: 4
    forgive my ignorance, what is the S-Plan? Thanks!