Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    The 08s have started to roll into the lots a few days ago.

One of the other changes for 08 is the availability of a blind-spot monitoring system.

The 08 are $700 more expensive than the 07's in terms of MSRP, but several dealers are taking as much as $4000 off MSRP on whatever 07's they have on the lot. I don't know if the steep discounts can be combined with the low financing (such as 36 month plans.)

for example; have they improved the braking (criticized by several reviewers)?

Do you have a link to those reviews? It sounds like FUD. I read the reviews on C&D and MT, and there were no mentions of problems with breaking feel or stopping distances. I test drove one and the braking was just as good as in our smaller and lighter Nissan Murano.
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    I have seen a lot of promos for a 24 month lease. What are the residuals and money factors for 36 and 48 mo, 15K? Looking at fwd sport.
  • tewks999tewks999 Member Posts: 6
    I think it was a recent Consumer Reports review that knocked CX-9's breaking distance as the car's largest drawback.
    MT had the 60-0 braking distance at 123ft, virtually identical to the 121ft for an Acura MDX: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0706_acura_mdx_gmc_acadia_mazda_cx_- 9/specs.html

Popular mechanics did show the CX-9 to be worst in test from 70-0, at 147ft; but others like the Hyunday Veracruz and Saturn Outlook were only a couple of feet better: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4220226.html?page=7
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    So, all else being equal (test parameters, conditions, etc), CX-9 stops no worse (and no better) than the leading competitors. If the only negative thing Consumer Reports found was braking distance, then this is one respectable car!

No worries whatsoever for the brakes are just fine. Ask any person who owns/drives a CX-9 and you will not find anyone complain about the brakes.
    The 2008's have just hit the dealerships and there are no incentives. There is 1 dealer advertising 1.9% for 36 months for the 2008's but when I called Mazda, they did not confirm.

Financially speaking, you'll be ahead by atleast $4,000 buying a 2007 vs a 2008. 10 extra HP and the $200 Blind Spot System ain't worth the extra dough.
  • regardsregards Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring and thought we'd share our experience.

My wife had hauled our kids in our 2000 Odyssey long enough (165,000 mi, never an unscheduled repair). We're in the $35-40k price range and test drove: CX-9, redesigned 2008 Highlander, MDX, Veracruz, Sequoia, and a 470 and 330 (used, or should I say pre-owned). My wife is a Japanese devotee who wouldn't even consider a U.S. badged vehicle, such as the SRX or Enclave. She was even leery of the CX-9's Ford engine, but okay w/ a Japanese built Ford engine. She was leery also of the Hyundai until she drove it. The CX-9 was my favorite right away, but we also really liked the Veracruz. The key points for the CX-9 for me: better acceleration and handling (zoom-zoom); for her: the handle to move the second row seats forward on the Veracruz was so stiff she couldn't operate it, where the CX-9 was smooth and easy. She also wanted the navigation pkg which wasn't avail on the 2007 Veracruz. We really liked the Grand Touring model w/ the 20" wheels and snazzy instrumentation. The Aug Consumer Reports was what interested us in the CX-9, the Sep Popular Mechanics and the new NHTSA ratings cemented the decision for us.

Called five Mazda dealers w/in 200 miles; remaining 2007s didn't have the color (white) and the high end options we wanted, incl all wheel drive (technically AWD isn't an option but a separate model), moonroof and assist pkg (navigation/rear camera/power hatch). We were told that those had been already snapped up by shoppers who recognized the value offered. By moving to the 2008, the sticker is just under $1000 more, and you lose the 0% financing. One dealer had just had delivered exactly the car we would have gotten had we ordered one from the factory: a white 2008 AWD w/ roof, assist pkg, towing pkg, Sirius radio, roof rails; stickered at $41090 (factory sticker, not a dealer sticker w/ delivery charge, pinstripes, etc.). Offered us a price of $38910, nearly $2200 off, which was more than the other dealers had come down on cars which didn't fit us like a glove. Signed on the dotted line and got the 1.9%/36 month financing. Took it home and our 19 year old car/gadget-guy son programmed all Mom's numbers in the Bluetooth and told us how cool the car was. He's right!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Congratulations on the new car!

You should write a review! You can copy and paste a lot of what you wrote here.

Dealer Ratings and Reviews

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    Congrats on the new car... enjoy.

But to clarify, AWD isn't either an option OR a separate model (as you said); it is considered a "trim." And technically, GT is part of that trim designation; there's the FWD GT as one trim, an AWD GT as another trim, the Sport FWD is another trim, etc.

Often, the problem with a new model year in terms of pricing isn't just that the MSRP is higher but also that the discount off MSRP that you'd get on the older year just isn't available on the newer year. So let's say that you'd get $4,000 off on a 2007 and $2000 off on a 2008 and that the 2008 MSRP is $1,000 higher. Well, that's a $3,000 price spread ($2,000 less discount and $1,000 higher MSRP). I actually had that issue 4 years ago when I got a 2003 RX300 instead of waiting 2 months for the 2004's which would have cost me about $6,000 more due to the slightly higher MSRP and non-existent discount.

As for an American car versus a Japanese car, things are REALLY hard to figure out these days. I mean, is a Toyota that's assembled in the US by US workers really a Japanese car? Or is it really an American car? And Mazda is considered a Japanese company, but it is owned by Ford (I don't know the exact percentage - not sure if it is 100%, a majority, or just some large percentage). So is a Ford-owned Mazda made in the US from both US and Japanese parts considered an American car or a Japanese car? Or is a Ford-owned Mazda made in Japan from both US and Japanese parts considered an American car or a Japanese car?

In any case, enjoy.
    And Mazda is considered a Japanese company, but it is owned by Ford (I don't know the exact percentage - not sure if it is 100%, a majority, or just some large percentage).

Ford owns 40% of Mazda.

I think the key issue people bring up when talking about US vs. Japanese cars is quality. Quality is heavily affected by processes, people, and machinery in the assembly line.

I have read in many places that Toyota was not pleased with the overall final quality of its products assembled in US compared with the ones assembled in Japan.
  • smartgroupsmartgroup Member Posts: 1
    Regards
    Just wondering if your 2008 GT has Blind Spot Monitoring System yet? According to the brochure, it's available in the fall. I am also in the market for 2008 CX-9 GT AWD w/ RSES & Navigation.
  • regardsregards Member Posts: 3
    In reply to our new CX-9 colleagues:

Warever: As to "model" vs. "trim": I was passing on what was on the first line of the manufacturer's sticker on the car we bought, which read: "Model: 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring All Wheel Drive". Don't know where your "trim" comes from (but I know where I get mine; see following paragraph). ;-)

Concur; it would've been great if a "fit like a glove" 2007 at a lower sticker/bigger discount had been on the lot, but it wasn't. So I had two options: compromise to save a few shekels, or pay a little more for exactly the car my wife wanted. I've learned a thing or two having been happily married for 24 years, and the choice there is a "no brainer".

Warever/Nastacio: We are aware of the Ford/Mazda ownership. Note that I (carefully) used the term "U.S. badged." My wife's old car was an Odyssey built in Ohio, and I drive a Toyota Tundra built in Indiana, both of which we love(d). We believe the Japanese badged companies still do a better job overall in their assembly process, whether in the U.S. or Japan, than the U.S. badged cars, and overall have a higher level of commitment to quality yet to be equaled by the U.S. badged vehicles. But that is a discussion for another forum...

Smartgroup: We've yet to discover all the goodies on our new car, but aren't aware of a Blind Spot Monitoring System, other than the time-tested turning of the head (we're not yet old enough to have done away w/ it), or a Pep Boys fish eye lens stuck to the side mirrors. If I discover a BSMS while going through the owners manual, I'll let you know.

As to the RSES, you probably know the CX-9 comes with either the sunroof OR the DVD RSES. We figured it'd be easier to aftermarket install the latter rather than the former.

REgards
    I have pre-ordered am 08' CX-9 in our local dealer using the S-Plan (Ford Suppliers Plan.) Now the dealer wants to charge a $435 "assessment fee" on top of the S-Plan, which is already on top of $397 in doc fees and $38 for an "electronic filing fee".

I am getting a good price anyway (near invoice) for an 08 model, but what bothered me is that the dealer claimed that the "assessment fee" was part of the invoice, as in, charged by the factory. They insist very strongly in this point because they did not list the charge in the original estimate and now want to include it in the "S-Plan" item in the pre-order.

I can always walk from the deal and buy it somewhere else, but can anyone confirm?
    If I discover a BSMS while going through the owners manual, I'll let you know.

Just read the MSRP sheet, BSMS is a $200 option.
  • luvcarzrichluvcarzrich Member Posts: 36
    I did exactly what you are saying - I ordered an '08 from Ramsey Mazda using S-plan. Got invoice + doc fees + etching. No assessment. They NEED to show you the invoice and show you the Splan price at the bottom. They can get in major trouble if the screw around with you. There are some fees on the invoice but they should show you the invoice you will see something in the lower left like SPLAN0036005 <--- where 36005 is invoice $. Its that plus doc, etch, etc. Maybe tops $700?
    I called the Ford rep for the plan and he pointed at least two problems with this dealer's approach: (1) they did not present the S-Plan price breakdown, instead listing the 'total' invoice price for the car and (2) claiming that the *factory* is including an "assessment fee" on the cars invoice.

This is sounding like a fee included by the network of distributors for our area, which pretty much acts as an intermediary between the factory and the dealer. Much like the maligned Toyota Southeast admin fee of ~$700.

Just to be sure, I asked two other local dealers for an out-of-the-door quote before I walk on these guys. It has been two days and these other dealers seem to be more interested in pushing whatever 07' they have in the lot. I understand no one wants to provide quotes and instead having the customer come to the lot for the royal pressure treatment, but I am not sure people understand the new reality of Internet shopping.

On 2005, I bought a Honda through their Internet department and it was a dream-experience, with an out-of-the-door quote over e-mail in a few hours, a scheduled appointment to order the vehicle, and a schedule delivery date.

I can't get any of this from any of the three Mazda dealers in the Raleigh NC area.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I am not sure how the Ford "S" plan for Mazda compares to their "A" plan for Fords, but I got my "A" plan pin thru the internet and made a copy of the conditions of sale that were listed when I went to the dealer. There are 2 things that stick out about the process. First is that the dealer must show you an invoice with the "A"plan price clearly shown. Secondly, they are NOT allowed to charge any additional fees such as doc fees, inventory fees, etc, They tried to charge me doc fees and said they do that on all cars they sell. I gave them a copy of the sheet I printed with the Ford rules for "A" plan purchases and they took the doc fees off the sales contract.

I would double check your sources. With new and/or popular models dealers are not often willing to sell at "discount" prices so thet tack on all kinds of conditions or make low ball offers on your trade-ins.
    S-Plans blow away regular dealer & customer incentives, however, for the mere mortals, here's a newer dealer ad:

The Mazda S-Plan allows the *dealer* to charge reasonable fees, but they did not list this one "assessment fee" outside the "S-plan" item in the order.

The plan states "Mazda dealerships may charge reasonable and customary document preparation and/or administrative service fees for S-Plan sales." In other words, either the assessment fee is charged by the factory as part of the invoice, or the dealer would have to list it as separate charge in the pre-order form. I'll wait until the car arrives to check the invoice.
  • twinpowertwinpower Member Posts: 8
    nastacio,

I'm looking to buy a 2008 CX-9 (or a Buick Enclave) myself in the very near future. I have the S-Plan and am in the Raleigh area too - very interested in what you find out or experience at the local dealers.

There are things I like better about the CX-9 over the Enclave and vice-versa... it may come down to finding one or the other equipped the way I want and a dealer I can work with.

Mike
    My experience with all local dealers from both brands is that none have a dedicated Internet department. I was always called back by a regular salesperson that would use high-pressure tactics to bring me on site to try and sell me whatever was sitting on the lot.

They will refuse staunchly to give you a detailed quote for an out-of-the-door price. Actually, none of them has done it so far other than agreeing to honor S-plan (Mazda) and suppliers price (GM) . The trick is on the dealer's fees, where they will get pen-happy, which is why I wouldn't walk in without the quote.

In the end, I decided to place a pre-order to get "in line" for a 2008 CX-9, in order to buy myself sometime while trying to get quotes from all dealers.

I think you will not have this problem a few months from now, when the 2008 CX-9's and the Enclave will have become old news.
  • sweetjoesweetjoe Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if 2008 White color is the same as the White on 2007 model? I haven't seen 2008 model yet but the description on my local dealer webpage indicates 2008 color as 'Crystal White Pearl Mica' versus just 'Crystal White' for 2007. My wife prefers a pearl like creamy color over just plain white. :confuse:
    It is the same white, I have both brochures (2007 and 2008)
  • sweetjoesweetjoe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. She will want the Enclave now for sure. :D
  • markmark Member Posts: 16
    I received my S-plan certificate/PIN today. I went throught the Mazda.com/splan site, did the build, but the url would not give me the S-plan pricing. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for the following:
    -----
    CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
    CRYSTAL WHITE PEARL MICA
    BLACK INTERIOR LEATHER

$33,875

$595

ASSISTANCE PACKAGE
    $2,500

MOONROOF/BOSE/6 CD PACKAGE
    $1,760

TOWING PACKAGE
    $525

PEARL PAINT CHARGE
    $200

ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS
    $125

CARGO MAT
    $77

CARGO NET
    $40

COMPASS, AUTO-DIM MIRROR, HOMELINK W/ RAIN SENSOR
    $275

FRONT/REAR SPLASH GUARDS
    $125

MOONROOF WIND DEFLECTOR
    $60

REMOTE ENGINE START
    $350

ROOF RAILS
    $250

WHEEL LOCKS
    $50

Total MSRP:
    $40,807

Here is an S-plan site. I tried to post it as a link but it didn't seem to work.

https://portal.mazdausa.com/prod/emazda/intranet/vehicles/vehiclepurchaseplan/he- lp/splan_supplier/brochure/splan_info.htm
    Try this link: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/pdf/pricing/2008_MAZDACX9_SPLAN.pdf

You probably need to login with your partner code first. The MSRP you listed seems to be for the 07 model, which costs $700-800 less than the 08's.

With S-Plan, you are looking at invoice for the vehicle and at a 20% discount on all packages and options. Freight ($595) is on top of invoice and doesn't have discounts.

Dealer fees are charged outside the plan and there are no discounts for them.
    I don't understand the logic, isn't the Mazda Crystal Pearl White color "creamy" enough? :-)

The Enclave has a color called "White Diamond Tri-Coat" that looks just the same.
  • markmark Member Posts: 16
    Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize the plan applied to '08's as well. I've emailed three NW Connecticut dealers and asked if they participate.
  • gds1gds1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm guessing they still get the holdback but that's OK with me. I've got an 08' CX-9 Grand Touring AWD ordered and they sold it to me for $399 over their invoice. I had previously bought an 05' Mazda 3s from this dealer and there was no funny business at all. I "built" it, ordered it and is should be here in about 5 weeks. I've been very happy with this dealer (Mazda of Lakewood); they are a suburb of Denver Colorado.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Secondly, they are NOT allowed to charge any additional fees such as doc fees, inventory fees, etc,

Incorrect. Dealers are allowed to charge and additional fee that is not set on the invoice, or S-Plan price. The actual price of the vehicle cannot be altered in any way, unless accessories are added to the vehicle.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Go see it for yourself and decide.
    Dealers are allowed to charge and additional fee that is not set on the invoice, or S-Plan price.

I think he was referring to A-plan. S-plan is more lenient with dealer fees, specially the infamous doc-fee.
  • gagirl2gagirl2 Member Posts: 2
    We were eligible for S-Plan pricing, but skipped the local dealer because they low-balled us on our trade-in. Jim Ellis in Atlanta had the '07 GT FWD in the color we wanted in stock, so I sent an email requesting a price quote.

Within a day I had a response.. $400 under invoice (which was actually close to invoice if you include the "Atlanta Assessment" fee). We were happy with what they offered us for our trade, so it was a no brainer.. the 3 hour drive was well worth the $1500 we saved.

For us it was a pain free experience - we ended up not going the S-Plan route and feel we got a nice deal. It's been a month & I couldn't be happier w/ our CX-9!

good luck... :)
    Nice tip, Atlanta is a six hour drive from here, but you are right, well worth $1500.

Our dealer claims they will honor the KBB price if we cannot sell the car within 5 days of the vehicle arrival.

I assume you got an 08 model.
  • gagirl2gagirl2 Member Posts: 2
    Actually, no we got the 07 model.

The only option on the GT we wanted that it was not equipped with was the rear entertainment package.. we're planning to shop for a DVD player/sound package to have installed.
  • samehsameh Member Posts: 3
    Looking forward to buying a 2007 sport trim CX-9. The best offer I currently have is 26000+tax&fees. Is that good enough? Would it be better if I waited until the end of the month? How can someone qualify for the S plan?

Thanks a lot for your help

Sameh
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    How much more or less than the invoice price?
    $500 below invoice price. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Sameh
    That seems expensive; some dealer had a lot of $4000 off MSRP offers going last month.

As for the S-plan, it is offered in partnership with suppliers for the Ford Motor Company and subsidiaries, such as Mazda.
    The pricing for the 2007 models have not changed in the last 2 months. It is still approx $4k off MSRP for the Sport trims. Additional $1000 if you currently own a Tribute.
    http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=200808&adid=5003870&cat=4012
  • hhllauhhllau Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my previous 2 cars' (Honda and Toyota) extended warranty on the internet for a substantial savings. These are not 3rd party, but just out of state dealers offering them online, so they're officially manufacturer backed. I am just wondering if I can find something like this for Mazda. We're considering the Mazda CX-9 GT.
  • maverick8maverick8 Member Posts: 25
    Sameh, S-Plan is an example of a 'balance of trade' agreement. If two companies (usually of similar size) do a large amount of business with each other, or each others employees, then both companies offer each other more aggressive pricing, in this case invoice. Unfortunately you either have access to S-Plan, or you don't. It is not something that you can go and qualify for, unless you take a job with a suitable business partner to Ford. However, with the remaining 07s you should be able to match or beat S-Plan pricing.
    maverick8, thanks a lot for the information. Now I have another question. Should I wait until the end of the year to get a better deal on the CX-9 2008 or should I go ahead and buy the 2007. Please advise
  • maverick8maverick8 Member Posts: 25
    Sameh, that is really your decision after considering your options. I too am in a similar position, though we may go for the Outlook instead. Here are the points to consider:

08 =
    Larger engine = more hp & torque
    Less room for negotiation
    Higher MF for lease & higher % for finance (see Edmunds.com)
    Higher residual on lease (maybe 1%)
    Limited supply but you can order your spec

07 =
    Smaller engine
    Limited availability
    Better MF and finance rates (depending on term)
    Dealers more likely to deal!

It's a tough, timing based decision.
  • moistymoisty Member Posts: 8
    Hello My Wife and I are planning on buying a CX9 in the near future. Either a 07 or a 08
    While building a CX9 on the Mazda web site our CX9 GT FWD with-:

Assistance package

Moonroof/bose/6CD package

Auto-dim mirror, homelink w/rain sensor

Front and rear splash guards
    Remote engine start

Roof rails and sirius came to $38,960 MSRP.

What price should we be looking for when we go to our local dealer?
    Is there no way to have the tail gate assist as a seperate option? On the Mazda website you can only have the electric tailgate with the navigation and back up camera option. at $2500. That's kinda lame. :cry:
    Mazda is lame on optional packages. Either moonroof or rear-DVD (technical limitation) , xenon headlights require 20" wheels, navigation requires you to pick one of moonroof or rear-DVD, foglights are not available factory-installed in the lesser models, etc.
    Yup I quite agree, totally lame option packages. This fact alone may be the deal breaker. I may have to look at the new Highlander..... :( :lemon:
    Maybe so, but you just cannot beat the driving dynamics of a CX-9...oh...especially if you're comparing to a Slowyota; I mean Toyota Highlander.
    The next closest vehicle with enthusiastic driving is the Acura MDX.