Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Thanks for all the information, it is helpful to all.

If I understand correctly, the total price with all fees and before tax (not including your EW) was $204 under invoice.

We will put that one in the books.
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    Uh, the dealer can NEVER MAKE you finance through any particular finance company.

What they may be saying is that their price is valid only if you finance through Mazda - which is because they're evidently getting a kickback on the financing of some sort and aren't making enough on the vehicle otherwise.

But 48 months at 4.9% is probably not a bad deal - though some other dealer might have been able to get you better rates (but perhaps not as good a price).
    You probably don't have to test drive the actual car as much as you might when you're trying to decide whether that's the model you want, but you SHOULD drive it a LITTLE just to make sure that there's nothing wrong with it - no rattles, shimmies, shakes, whines, etc. And in theory, you should always take delivery of a new vehicle in daylight so you can thoroughly inspect it. I actually had a vehicle (that I picked up at night) that had a paint flaw from the factory. Yes, the dealer fixed it for free, and yes, I probably would have taken delivery of the vehicle anyway, but it would have been nice to have it on the due bill from the start and not have to convince them that it wasn't something that I even COULD have done.

After all, even the best manufacturer can make mistakes and you want to try to find them before driving off with the vehicle.

Manufacturer web sites are sometimes off as well because they may not be updated right away or might be updated but the car you're looking at was from a previous batch at a previous price.

Yeah, I honor a wrong price as well, but you're not talking about someone not honoring a price they quoted. You're talking about the dealer telling you that the SUGGESTED price is different from what you think it is. I'm sure they'd be happy to honor a sale at MSRP - even one $500 lower than they say it is! (grin)

No, not a car dealer. Never was, never will be. I'm a computer consultant, actually. Just very detail oriented and a very "by the numbers" sort of guy (yeah, ok... say it... nerd (grin)).

They may or may not be trying to put one over on you (well, since they're car dealers, I'd vote that they probably are, but that's another issue). Get them to send you a copy of the window sticker. Then you'll know 100% for sure where that $500 is.

By the way, those other places you can buy the car... is it for the same price? Or higher?
    Count me in on that list of those who were dinged for "excess wear and tear."

Several years ago, I had a Ford Explorer. The dealer looked at it and said all was ok. When I brought it back maybe 3 weeks later to actually return it, the front tire was suddenly worn too far and unevenly.

Turns out that Explorers have/had a known problem of not being able to keep alignment so it wasn't really my fault. But it just wasn't worth the time to fight with them (and probably have to file suit) just for less than a couple hundred bucks.

My last lease return in March I was actually pretty lucky with. It had a round rock hole in the corner of the windshield that the inspector didn't notice - but they DID ding me a couple hunderd for supposedly dirty back seats (which probably cost a $20 detail job). I figured that was less than the windshield would have been so I came out ahead.

And I was a boy scout when I was a kid, so I always follow that motto: "Be Prepared."
  • bmlocal175bmlocal175 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring
    MSRP 37235
    Invoice 34200

Our sale price 36200

We were going by edmunds what people were paying figure which was 36800. I think we could have done better maybe in the 1000-1500 less, but over all we are happy. Its a very nice ride.

We also got 6.99 for 72 months.
  • d4yt0n4d4yt0n4 Member Posts: 2
    All the dealers in our area were offering $200 over invoice for 2008s, rather than work down from MSRP. 2007 models were being offered at $500 below invoice, but I couldn't find a suitable car. I"m sure dealers hate the internet, but it has been great as a buyer!

I just bought a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD (beautiful black cherry/sand) with the RSES from Menlo Mazda in Redwood City, CA. I paid $100 over invoice. Nice folks and the transaction went smooth. We love the car, too!

-steve
    Steve,

Please provide the details of your purchase.

Did you pay any fees? (Doc fee, etc...)

Thanks
  • d4yt0n4d4yt0n4 Member Posts: 2
    '08 CX-9 AWD GT: $32636
    1EP (RSES): $2202
    port fee (verified with 3 other Mazda dealers - they all pay this for this area): $200
    dealer: $100
    License fee: $228
    Reg/Title fee $69
    doc prep $55
    CA Tire fee $9
    CA Tax $2595

total $38094

-steve
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Went to dealer yesterday on Long Island. Gave me story about how in demand 2008 CX-9 is. First said he would give around $1,000 off sticker. Then said that because of a program I am eligible for, best was 2% over invoice (for Touring, FWD and maybe RSES). Any recent experience in NYC/Long Island, Northern New Jersey area?
    Check out the auto malls in nearby states.
  • jrhosjrhos Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to get a Galaxy Gray with Sand Interior 08 GT with Nav, Moon/Bose, remote engine start. They are giving me a price of $37,083 - it is the Splan price, although I am not eligible for Splan. I am asking them to throw in roof racks as well (I am holding out until they do). I plan on getting an aftermarket 2" hitch for a bike and luggage carrier I already have (no trailer towing, so don't need whole towing package). The dealer will have to get the car from another dealer in the region. A couple of questions :
    (1) Anybody every seen the Galaxy Gray and Sand together? I have seen them individually and think they will look great, but want to be sure.
    (2) Splan must be higher than invoice, as invoice for this vehicle is $36580 according to Edmunds and Consumer Reports. If I can get $500 over invoice and then save more on roof racks ($200 invoice), it is good enough for me. What do you think?
  • jasper11jasper11 Member Posts: 4
    Bill -

I'm in the Boston area and have just started looking at new CUV's. I stopped by a Mazda dealership about three weeks ago and took a look at the CX-9. Since then, I have been trying to find one on the road to show my wife, as it will be her car that we are replacing. I have yet to see a CX-9 on the road. Last weekend we drove to Maine, so its not like I haven't had the opportunity to spot one.

My point is, I highly doubt that this car is in as much demand as the Dealer is saying, at least around my area. Honest, if we decide on the CX-9, I would'nt pay more than invoice for it. There are plenty of options to choose froom in this class, each with there pros/cons. Just don't get emotionally attached to the car during negoitations and you should be fine.

Even if there are more CX-9's on the road in NJ, just remember that your $$$ is always in more demand than any make/model on the road.
  • kbedwardskbedwards Member Posts: 41
    I have yet to see another CX-9 (other than the one I just bought!) on the road in my city - granted, it's relatively small (500K people) but still, lots of soccer moms around here! :)

I also note that I have only seen 2 or 3 new Acura MDX's, but they are starting to show up more and more now.

I paid $250 above invoice supposedly.
  • jasper11jasper11 Member Posts: 4
    Congrats!

The only one's I've seen were on the lot and on televisions, which is not a bad thing. They are very nice cars and the interiors are top notch. Right now, we are leaning towards purchasing one, but are in no rush so we are going to check out other CUV's as well.

I re-read my post. I don't want you, or anyone, to think that if you paid above invoice, that you didn't get a good deal.

What I mean is that if I was in Bill's situation and the dealer said that to me, I would question him on it and then counter offer him with the invoice price. Be friendly, but act like you don't really care if he sells you the car or not. If he says "no", head towards the door. They will stop you, they always do. Keep saying "no" until the dealer comes down to a price that you can live with.
  • chuckl66chuckl66 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a 2008 CX-9 GT over the weekend. Experience was excellent (Classic Mazda East). Here's the deal:

Brilliant Black, Black Leather
    Moonroof Package
    Paid Invoice: $32,951
    Residual: 58% (36mo)
    Money Factor: 0.00181
    Payment (w/6.5% tax): $455.65

Cash Down included:
    Acq Fee: 595+tax
    WearGuard: 529+tax
    Dealer Installed Options (that I selected)
    Tags
    1st Payment
  • lanregunlanregun Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up a cx9 AWD two weeks ago and an aftermarket moonroof installed for a final out-the-door price of 34-grand. It's a Touring 07 model.
  • cspillmancspillman Member Posts: 18
    I have a couple of questions:
    1. what is wearguard?
    2. What mileage per year was your lease?
    3. Did you pay the entire amount for the dealer installed options or was that part of the lease/price?
    Thanks!! clay
  • intrumintrum Member Posts: 2
    Im located in the UK and I'm trying to buy a 2008 CX-9 GT and have it shipped to UK, since this model is not sold in the US.

I will buy it from an dealer in the CT, NY or NJ area, since i have somebody who can pick it up and ship it for me.

Im currently negotiating with 4 dealers (via e-mail and phone) and we are getting close to the closure of the deal.

Would 2% above invoice be good deal? Will they present me with the actual invoice and can I be sure that it is real?

Thanks for your help
  • perseus1206perseus1206 Member Posts: 7
    All,

I was shopping for a new CX-9 AWD Sport model w/ roof racks and was quoted 29,870 w/out the adv fees. Once I looked over the total price they included the adv fees and also a philadelphia assessed fee of $295. I asked what was that and they told me that all dealers get assessed this no matter what. Does anyone know what this is? I was shopping at the Conshohocken dealership and is the a good price for this trim.

Thanks
  • bolair0121bolair0121 Member Posts: 6
    Assetment fee is Advertising fee that Mazda charges the dealer and customer
  • bolair0121bolair0121 Member Posts: 6
    In Texas the invoice CX 9 Sport AWD is 29263
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Surprising you haven't seen many. The CX-9 has been on fire, in sales terms, in the NY/NJ/CT area, especially Long Island.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Just make sure that you don't advertise that you're buying it for export. You may run into trouble...
  • chuckl66chuckl66 Member Posts: 2
    >I have a couple of questions:
    >1. what is wearguard?
    >2. What mileage per year was your lease?
    >3. Did you pay the entire amount for the dealer installed >options or was that part of the lease/price?
    >Thanks!! clay

1) Wearguard is basically insurance coverage for excessive wear and tear (dings, scratches, etc) at the end of the lease. It covers tires too, which was the real payoff on my last lease. The one from this dealer was actually called something else. Coverage I got is up to $5,000, including the first 1K miles over the lease mileage.

2) 12K miles per year.

3) I paid the entire amount for the options so as not to pay the rent charge on them. It works out cheaper in the long run that way, but by buying them as part of the purchase, they are covered under the full 3yr/36k warranty instead of the 1yr/12k parts only coverage.
  • frugalscfrugalsc Member Posts: 24
    I walked into the Lodi Mazda dealership couple of days ago looking for a GT CX9 with the moonroof and/or the navigational package...at first the sales person seem very friendly and helpful.

After 10-15 minutes he ask me how much I'm willing to pay each month. I've been told that and read from numerous reliable sources that you should not give them a $ figure because they can "work" the number and meet your expectation...so at first I was a bit reluctant to give them a number but I figured I'm a smart consumer and have done my research, so i decided to give him a number and mentioned that i want to trade in my existing car

To make a long story short...i'm finally decided to go with the GT plus the moonroof package...he walked away to crunch his number and he came to the monthly payment I want to pay. So I started asking him how he came up with the numbers, he wouldn't tell me. He keep beating around the bushes and finally said...the price is based on MSRP (around 39K)and only gave me half of the $ value of my traded in (based on edmunds and Kelly Blue Book). I was like WHAT???!!!

I feel like they were out there trying to sucker a desperate and clueless buyer into a deal...I will never go back there again...anyone else have a similar experience with them?

so anyways...any idea on how much I should expect to pay for a GT with the moonroof option int the NY/NJ area?

there are a few mentions about wayne mazda and i check out their website..it looks promises and it's not too far from where I am...

thanks...
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    You really fell into the ""After 10-15 minutes he ask me how much I'm willing to pay each month"" ???! That is the WORST way to buy a car. Did you do research on Edmunds first? The people in these forums have incredible knowledge. I can't fault Lodi Mazda for they thought they had a 'sucker' and almost any car sales person would do the same as the person you dealt with.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Lets see ... you said (bolair0121) that ""Assessment fee is Advertising fee that Mazda charges the dealer and customer ""

WRONG.. It is an attempt by the dealer(s) to get unwarranted profit from a client. The 'trick' is not new and I am surprised anyone falls for it.
  • 4tune814tune81 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Steve (d4yt0n4)--

I hope you see this message. You stated that you'd gotten the following deal, which sounds excellent (especially since I live south of SF and Menlo Mazda is not far):

'08 CX-9 AWD GT: $32636
    1EP (RSES): $2202
    port fee (verified with 3 other Mazda dealers - they all pay this for this area): $200
    dealer: $100
    License fee: $228
    Reg/Title fee $69
    doc prep $55
    CA Tire fee $9
    CA Tax $2595

total $38094

A couple of questions...

1) was this car "on the lot" or did you order it. If it was in stock, do you have any idea if you would have been able to get the same deal with a special order, or was this only available on current inventory?

2) I'm curious about the sales tax figure. CA state tax in San Mateo county is 8.25%, and the tax you paid is well short of that. I know that if you live in another, lower tax county, like Sonoma, Tuolomne, etc., you get taxed according to where you live rather than where you bought the car, but I can't align the $$ you paid with any of the rates from 7.25 on up. What am I missing?

Thanks!
  • perseus1206perseus1206 Member Posts: 7
    So (bolair0121) are you stating that on top of the $595 advertising fee that they want to charge me and the additional $295 Philadelphia Assesment fee for what story he gave me is an attempt to make a profit off their client? Can I argue with this addittional fee number?

Thanks for your help
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Intrum,

Its possible but difficult to export to the UK. Here are the things you need to think about.

- your friend will need to buy it in his/her name. A dealer can't sell to a foreigner as you need a US driving license and insurance.

- you will need a certificate of title to clear US customs but it is theoretically possible just to use a certificate of origin (most shippers will insist on title though) - another reason you will need a US buyer, you will probably have to pay sales tax (NY is very high)

- don't let the dealer on that the vehicle is for export. The chain of events will mean that when the car clears US customs the main distributor will be informed of the VIN number and he will harass the dealer. The dealer will probably lose his rebate and be blackmarked. After I exported my first car, the dealer phoned me for weeks as if I had been exporting WMD to the Iraqis.

- get all the extra's in person rather than by mail order. I fitted roof rails and cross bars. I had to assemble them in the dealers lot as it took 4 times to find a package that didn't have broken components, imagine doing that long distance!

- On the plus side, its a great car that looks even better "in the flesh". I went for Black/Sand with MR. :)
    Please post your deal in terms of $ under the invoice price.

07 CX-9 $0 under invoice. At invoice.

08 CX-9 $500 under invoice. One dealer claims he will sell at this price, he has posted numerous times against the rules so the host removed his posts. (We need more details from him concerning extra fees and ad-ons)

Has anyone used the auto mall?

Keep posting those good deals.
  • gradientechogradientecho Member Posts: 5
    Hi Steve (d4yt0n4),

I'm also curious about these numbers. In your earlier post, you said you paid "$100 over invoice", but that doesn't seem to be the case based on these figures (unless you are using invoice figures that differ from Edmunds?). Edmunds states that the base invoice for an 08 GT AWD is $32,041. If you add your $2202 RSES package to this, and all of the other fees and taxes you listed, the total would be $37,499. Since you paid $38,094, it seems you actually paid about $595 over invoice. :confuse:

Still not bad, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how close to invoice people are getting, and it's difficult when there aren't many buyers reporting their complete numbers, and even more difficult when the numbers that are posted don't seem to make sense. If you can clarify, that would be great! Thanks for your help. It is appreciated! :)
  • eujungeujung Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2008 FWD CX-9 GT at Sutherlin Mazda in Georgia and had a great experience.

If you are looking to buy this or any car, and you work for a "decent" size company (I work for IBM), check with your HR department to see if you company has a discount arrangement with Ford/Mazda.

Our CX-9 GT, with Moonroof/Bose, Navigation, Towing Package, Roof Rails and Retractable Cargo Cover was $38,200, walk off the lot (after tax and other fees). I haven't done a lot of the number crunching but I think this was a pretty good price. Does anyone feel like confirming or contrasting my notion of a good price? The tax was 6%.

Thanks,

Happy CX-9 Owner :)
  • psycho6psycho6 Member Posts: 9
    I'm totally new both to this forum and to negotiating to buy/lease a car, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Houston. I'm going to have to order my CX-9 to get exactly what I want, which is a Grand Touring with GT Assistance package, Rear-seat entertainment system, Blind-Spot Monitoring, Auto-dimming mirror, Sirius, all-weather floor mats, and wheel locks. I received a quote for invoice price. Is that good, or should I be looking for under invoice?

Thanks very much!

psycho6
    Sounds decent eujung, but not sure you really got a discount (of course where you are/demand/availability does change things a bit).

I paid $38K out the door for a very similar model (they had to order from another dealer):

08 GT FWD CX9
    Assist package
    Rear Ent. package
    Towing pack
    Home link/Compass mirror
    wheel locks

I think I did "ok" but probably could have done better based on what I have been reading here, although salesman (not the one I dealt with through the process) assured me I got a great deal. MSRP for this was right at $40k. $39,9 maybe?
    I think "invoice" varies greatly depending on who you ask. Edmunds does not include advertising fees in their invoice price, but apparently the dealers do.

The only place online that I have seen that takes ad fees into account in the invoice price is www.carsdirect.com

The sales manager at the Mazda dealer said she would give me $500 over invoice, but HER invoice price included $1,000 in ad fees. LOL.

You really have to be careful about "invoice" in my opinion. It's the new angle that is being pushed to con buyers into thinking they are getting a good deal.

Most places say $1,000 for ad fees is ridiculous and outrageous, no more than $250 or $500 at MOST.

I guess you could ask the dealer if they will show you the invoice so you can verify what they SAY is the invoice is actually the invoice. I didn't get into that, but maybe I should have.

In any case, I am happy with the car - so smooth! And the buying experience was fine too. Probably good have done better, but I was in a bit of a hurry unfortunately.
    I can't speak for d4ytOn4, (and I'm still curious about the tax number), but I'm pretty sure that the $595 discrepancy between the Edmunds invoice and the amount listed by the OP is the destination charge. He rolled that into what was termed "invoice"...so it really should have said "invoice and destination charge" = $32,636.

And WRT invoice charges in general, I have always found that the invoice prices posted on Edmunds and other sites are accurate (but not necessarily what the dealer pays the mfg, due to holdbacks, incentives, volume bonuses, etc.). Occasionally dealers may try to say that "those sites are wrong" or other fabrications, but I've never fallen for that. The only way to be clear is to state that you won't pay more than "x over invoice" or "invoice" or "x under invoice" and show a print out of what YOU believe to be the invoice (plus you'll also have to pay for destination charge, taxes, reg fees, etc). If they insist on an advertising fee, port fee or other things; then as far as I'm concerned that doesn't change what's considered the invoice, but rather changes the amount "x". If it's still acceptable, buy the car, if not walk away and keep shopping.
    I agree, some dealerships are starting to take some liberty with the term invoice price. Always ask to see the invoice (in many states the dealers must show it to you if you ask). If a dealer will not show you the invoice, I would walk away!

These extra fees: doc fee, port fee, ad fee, prep fee, etc.. are just scams. Do not pay them!

In most cases, buying a new car is a luxury not a necessity.
    Wait, ad fees are not really in the same category as the other things you mention, because they actually are real charges that the dealer has to pay. Now should it be itemized out when buying a car, or "tacked on" later to help them with negotiating a price with the customer? Heck no. And are they accurate when they tell you how much the ad fees are? Extremely doubtful at least in my case, and I doubt my dealership is the only one that uses that "angle".
    @ 4tune81:

Ah, yes, I think you're right about that ($595 destination fee included). So it looks like, at least in some parts of the country, people are getting the CX-9 at, or very close to, "invoice". That will be my target.

Has anyone seen a CX-9 with the blind-spot warning system yet, or been able to negotiate a purchase with the after-sales installation worked into the deal? I'd hate to buy an '08 GT now, and miss out on something that is supposed to be standard by the end of the year! And does anyone know if it's even possible for the dealer to add this on, or if it has to be done by the factory?

Thanks!
    Found out today that we probably won't see any BSMS-equipped CX-9's until mid-November at the earliest (in the DC metro area). According to my local dealer, it can't be added on either (although this conflicts with some things I've read on other mazda forums), so if I bought one of the current '08 CX-9s, I'd be out of luck. :(

I test drove a CX-9 the other day, but not long enough to get a good feel for its blind spots. I think I need to get behind the wheel again and really pay attention to this, to see if the BSMS is worth waiting another month for...

My current best internet offer for an '08 GT AWD with RSES and GT Assistance and roof racks, is:

$37,327 + tax + tags + $595 destination + $100 doc fee

I believe this is about $562 over invoice (according to Edmunds numbers). I don't know yet if this includes an "advertising fee", but it seems that I should be able to do better than this. If I can get it down to invoice, I may be willing to forego the BSMS.

Not sure how the 2008 Motor Trend SUV of the year award (announced today) will affect demand/pricing, either...
    Has anyone financed their CX-9 through Mazda's current promotional rate -- particularly the short term, ultra-low 1.9%? I haven't spoken to a dealer, but based on the fine print it appears that the car must be bought from dealer stock (i.e., no orders) and purchaser must "take delivery" prior to 10/31. I also don't know what the FICA score required is or the amount of down payment that "may affect qualification."

Any direct experience and/or advice?
  • eadlertxeadlertx Member Posts: 20
    psycho6, which dealer in Houston quoted invoice price to you? Did the price include freight?
    Thanx
    eadlertx
  • c_bagc_bag Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this forum, and to buying a new car. I'm looking to purchase a CX-9 this Dec., and I would like to hear either some real life scenarios, or anecdotal that could give me an idea of what I can expect. When going to buy a car, what is an acceptable credit score, and downpayment for purchasing a new CX-9 GT. I want to have as much information as possible when going to purchase this car. I know that you guys are the experts, so I'm looking for some experts direction and recommendations. What did the credit history of some of you guys look like at the time when you purchased your vehicles, this will let me know whether I should even give this a try or not.
    First, focus on the price on the car. Try to get close or below the invoice price. (Look at the invoice)

If you are trading another car; keep the deal separate.

Avoid extra fees: prep, doc, port, etc....

Go back and read the last 100 posts.

Good luck.
    First, do you know what your FICO score is? It's not the same as the one the dealerships use (according to what my salesperson told me) but it will give you an idea. If it's above 700, you will most likely qualify for the best financing rates.

If you don't have a very good credit score, make sure you read the fine print on the Mazda site about their financing...it's very tricky imo.
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Just leased a CX-9 GT-AWD the past weekend, details on the lease are posted on the lease forum.

The buying experience was ok, got the quote from the phone and then finalize the deal at the dealer. From arrival to driving off the lot still took 2.5 hours though...

Details on the car:
    2008 CX-9 GT AWD
    Assistance package
    Moonroof/Bose package
    MSRP $39510.00
    Edmund's Invoice $36300.00, there is a $200 ad fee so dealer invoice is $36500. (all dealers in the SF bay area seem to have this)
    Selling price: $36250 and there is a $750 lease rebate
    So the dealer came up with $35500 and is being called $1000 below invoice. This is a lease deal, I don't know if people buying the car can get the same price, but based on talking to a few dealers, invoice (with the $200 ad fee) or slightly below is pretty easy to negotiate as long they have the car you want - this is in the SF bay area.
  • psycho6psycho6 Member Posts: 9
    After exhaustive searches by me, two dealers, and the Mazda website, it's clear that I'm going to have to order my CX-9 to get what I want. (I hate that that means waiting at least 3 months to get my car, but there doesn't seem to be any way around it.) I'm in Houston, and I'm going to order a 2008 Grand Touring FWD with GT Assist Pkg., RSES/Bose, Blind Spot Monitoring, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Sirius Satellite Radio, All-Weather Floor Mats, Splash Guards, and Wheel Locks. The dealer I'm working with is asking $37,425 (plus TTL), which he says is $500 over invoice, including dealer installation of rear park assist sensors (which I requested). Does this seem like a fair price? I know a lot of people are buying at or below invoice, but I'm not sure I have much negotiating power since what I want isn't readily available.

Thank you.
    Congrats. Enjoy.

As or 2-1/2 hours at the dealer, that doesn't seem too bad. I don't think I've EVER spent less than that.

Usually, the car isn't there and has to be driven over from the lot. Then it probably isn't clean and/or it still has all those protective stickers on it. So they have to "prep" it and wash it for you and probably fill the tank with gas. No, it doesn't take a century, but it CAN take awhile.

While that's happening, at BEST you're going to have to go to the finance guy and wait while the paperwork gets printed. They usually don't have it ready because you may change your mind a bit and agree to something else that they can throw in. Then they've got to go over it with you and have you sign it all. That takes awhile.

Then, if the car is ready, you get taken over there and the sales guy shows you all the neat features of the car you just bought. If it has Bluetooth, they'll usually spend about half an hour trying to make it work with your phone.

In the meantime, the finance guy is making sure your check clears (grin).

Anyway, all of that takes time so yeah, 2-1/2 hours isn't unusual.

Heck, my current vehicle (an RX400h I leased in March) I got while I was sick with the flu - and the sales guy literally DROVE it here for me. No waiting for it, no prep. All I had to do was have him pull into the driveway, sign the papers that were already there, and then have him show me some of the neat features. And then I got to drive my brand new car about 10 feet into my parking space. (grin)

As it was, that probably took an hour or more.
    Not speaking specifically about the CX-9 but about cars in general, you'll usually pay more for an ordered car than for one on the lot.

Technically, it is the opposite: you'll pay less for a car on the lot than an ordered car. But effectively, it is the same thing (does someone else pay more than you or do you pay less than them - just a matter of perspective).

The reasoning behind that is that a car sitting on a dealer's lot costs them money from day one. No, they probably didn't pay the manufacturer for it yet, but they're paying either a rent or a mortgage on the lot itself. So storing the car there costs them money.

Plus they usually have to pay for security so each car costs them a little. And, of course, they typically keep the cars washed so they can show them off so that costs money as well.

And although it is typical for the manufacturers to give them the cars with no money up front, they typically give them only a certain period of time (varies, but I've heard that 90 days is typical). So, if the car isn't sold within 90 days, they have to pay the manufacturer - meaning that it IS money out of their pocket.

At the end of the season, any cars they HAVEN'T sold are losing them quite a bit of money - and won't be able to be sold at the full price.

So of course, a dealer wants to sell the cars they've got on the lot as soon as possible.

If you buy a car that they have to order specifically for you, that means that you're not buying one off their lot. On top of that, you generally CAN cancel and then they'd be stuck with the car you special ordered that may be hard for them to sell.

For all of those reasons, you're probably going to pay MORE for a car that you order from the factory than for one that they get on their lot.

Paying $500 over invoice probably isn't bad at all; personally, I think it is probably a pretty good deal on a car that you've special ordered.

But of course, CHECK and make SURE that it actually IS just $500 over invoice.