Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma 4WD Issues

s1089s1089 Member Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in Chevrolet
ok so i have a 89 s10 extended cab 4.3ltr 4 wheel drive...kinda lol but ok here is the problem one day it worked fine and the next it wouldnt engage 4 wheel...i have no clue whats wrong with it...i know the drive shaft for the front end spins so its not the tcase i was wonderin if the front diff is vacume controlled i tryed pullin my skid plate off and i dont think anyone has takin it off before cause the last bolt tore the [non-permissible content removed] outa my knuckles lol but i did see somthin that looked like a o2 sensor and what looked to be a vacume line i think its a vacume line there are 2 lines that come off and i know one is the breather but i need some help the sooner the better...you might try emailin me with some info...[Email removed] thanks
-mat

Comments

• harkinsharkins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 chevy S-10 4x4 w/ 4.3 engine, and has 130K miles. Truck has a 4 high, and 4 low dash switch. The switch has a green light indicator for high position, and orange light for low. Lights may sometimes burn in two wheel drive without pushing switch, they may burn one or the other, may both burn at same time, or not at all like it should be in two wheel drive position. The problem is that you can engage the four wheel drive, but it will not disengage back to two wheel drive. When this happened I had taken it to a mechanic and he got it back to two wheel somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions on problem, or know what the mechanic may have done to disengage.

Thanks,

Jamie (stumped)
  • cyclonewoodycyclonewoody Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble getting into 4Hi in my 02' S10. While in gear and moving, push the 4Hi button and nothing happens. Slow to a crawl, tranny in Neutral, push 4hi and both 4hi & 4lo lights flash but it kicks back to 2hi. Moving slow, tranny in Neutral, push 4lo and most of the time it kicks into 4lo, sometimes both 4hi and 4lo lights stay on or all lights are completely off, in this case, it's in 4lo but tranny won't shift and runs about 3000 rpm at 5mph. A couple of times I've pushed the right combo of buttons and got 4hi to actually work. Is this something electrical? Any help or suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.
  • mcclellanmcclellan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 sonoma 5 speed manual tranny, the 4 wheel drive does not work, I found a vacum line off by the transfer case but I can not find where it is suppose to be attached, any help or diagrams would be appreciated.
  • 2003sonoma2003sonoma Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen last winter. Try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. Worked good for me.....
  • toneygtoneyg Member Posts: 19
    on ur passenger side fender under the hood is a vacume module the line may be disconnected or you might have a break in the hard plastic going down to your transfer case. the only other thing it could be is the vent tube under your trk is clogged up
    Jamie, the mechanic probably put it in neutral then shifted in to 2 wheel drive, then backed it up for 50 to 100 feet then put it in park and then back in to drive
    on your passenger side fender under the hood is a vacuum module, the line may be disconnected or you might have a break in the hard plastic going down to your transfer case. the only other thing it could be is the vent tube under your truck is clogged up
  • natosaskaenatosaskae Member Posts: 1
    my switch blinks and clicks under dash actuated under battery is moving but no engagement for my 4x4 vacume seems to be working disconnected at transfer case and is sucking 3 vacume lines 1 sucks at transfer case when you push the switch and when you dont press the switch its the same
    my question is, will a 3800 engine swap out a 2.8 engine already in my truck. I have over 350,000 miles on this truck and this 2.8 is my 2nd engine in this vehicle. this truck still looks beautiful and clean. I'm just wanting to get a little more power now since I have lifted it. I put in a 4" frame and a 2" body lift and put 31x10.50x15 tires on it. A 4.3 swap won't work due to the transmission hook-ups at the bell housing on the 2.8 is smaller than the 4.3. If the 3800 engine won't swap,then how far can I bore the cylinders out and how much cam can I put in it, to get more power to the wheels. This tire size change seems to need more power to turn them especially off road and in the the snow and ice. Someone please help me in this matter or offer any suggestions. Don't want a new truck. I have had this truck since Sept 1984 and bought it brand new off the show room floor in Texas, and kept it in near perfect condition. thank you for all input.
  • alrataalrata Member Posts: 3
    99 S-10 4 whl drive stopped working, the transfer case is a 233. the controler solinoids are clicking but not sure if motor is working on transfer case. The dash switches read 2 whl high and blink when I try to engage the 4 whl high but it stays in the 2 whl high mode. What is the most comon cause of failure, the vacuum operated cable to the diff or the transfer case motor and how do I check? Thanks for any help!
  • romaddogromaddog Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Chevy S-10 ZR2 the 4WH light is on in on my controls and the truck is not in 4WD.... when i press the button to put it in 2wd nothing happens and it also will not go into 4L... any ideas.....

Thanks
  • justakidjustakid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00' s10 4.3L 4x4. I took it in the snow when I first got it and when in four wheel drive I put it in reverse and the front end wouldn't work. it would clunk and sound like something was spinning on the front passenger side. never messed with it too much, knowing its a vacuum setup and not knowing much about it. just recently used the four-wheel drive again and had the same problem......then it started to pop out of four-wheel drive while going forward too......any help or advice or links would be much appreciated
  • 01280128 Member Posts: 3
    The 4WD switch gets it's ground from the "reverse neutral safety switch" I had the same problem and replaced the switch. 4wd low works now. Found the switch at parts america. com for $8.00. It is located on the steering column at about knee level. Easy to replace. :)
  • cricket99771cricket99771 Member Posts: 1
    hello did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 4wd mine is doing the same thing. I have put a new axle actuator and the vacum actuator it sounds like its clicking in but no 4hi or 4lo the light changes on the dash each time i press the button to 4lo and 4hi but nothing to the wheels
  • dadysworkshopdadysworkshop Member Posts: 1
    I have a '89 4x4 ext cab, running the stock 15x6 rims with 205/75-15. I am wanting to put 31x10.5 on. Will 15x7 rims be ok? Will a 3 inch body lift allow these tires fit or do I have to put shackles in and do a T/B crank also? Any modifications to the fenders, steering stops, or anything? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • gotgoldfevergotgoldfever Member Posts: 4
    When I am in 4hi or 4lo whenever there is strain on the drive train I will get intermittent CLUNKS (loud sounds like something is breaking or the hubs are unlocking or something) . The 4wd seems to still work though, is it the cv joints? What would be the best way to trouble shoot such a problem?
  • bigjay897bigjay897 Member Posts: 1
    Just tried this with my 2004 s10 and it worked perfect. Last year I took it into the dealer and they charged me 500 bucks to fix what you just showed me. Thats what I call bullsh*t... Thanks alot :)
  • kaczkacz Member Posts: 2
    My truck is and 2001 GMC SLS Sonoma X-cab:

It has the pushbutton 2WD/4HI/4Low buttons on the dash, its a 6cyl with the 4 speed auto trans.

My problems is this:

Used the 4x4 in HI range this past weekend on my property to pull some old tree limbs to the dump and also at my friends place as well. No off roading or any of that stuff just used it to get up the lawn instead of tearing the lawn up.

Now I'm having issues with the 4x4 disengaging, it goes back into 2 HI but the transfer case is staying locked in. I can move/spin the front shafts but the shaft that goes to/into the transfer case doesn't move or spin at all. It used to move freely when in 2 HI but now it doesn't.

All my tests that I have done so far is with the truck sitting on the ground running and in park.

I know the 4x4 front shafts are disengaged because the wheels move freely across the pavement. When engaged they do the chopping and sliding event. THIS not my problem its to the transfer case is where its all happening.

I am having a lot of drag on the road to the point its eating my gas mileage. There is a slight vibration and I have to lean into it to get it moving.

One tranny shop told me it could be some plastic pins or bushings in the transfer case or possibly a fork or two that are going/have gone bad. Without opening it up they cannot tell me what it could be. The price could be a 100 or 200 up to a grand for a used rebuilt transfer case installed.
  • ajaksajaks Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering if anyone answers questions on this list. Made about a dozen posts on another one of these lists over the last 10 months and the only reply was the host moving one of my post from the front page to the back page.

From reading past replies it seems there are some pretty smart cookies out there but cannot get a bite on any of my post.

Oh well, if anyone is out there tell me to kiss your [non-permissible content removed] or something.
    Jack
  • hnahna Member Posts: 1
    Had same problem with mine. there is a diofram under the battery case,with a cable going to the trans front case. push it several times to reset the system. if that doesnt work,let me know. it worked for me.
  • coulson22coulson22 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 GMC Sonoma, ZR2 with the push button 4wd.

The last two times that I have gone out and started the truck, it has been in 4 hi even though it was in 2wd when I parked it. From what I can tell, the 4wd is engaged, but it goes back into 2wd with no problems when I push the button.

My wife drove it for a while today and she said that she caught it switching from 2wd into 4hi while she was driving down the highway.

Any ideas on this so that I can look into it myself?

Thanks!
  • oldebondooldebondo Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. The 4WD Lo trys to kick in on it's own. How did you fiz your problem? Thank you for your kind reply to: [email protected]
  • carolkozycarolkozy Member Posts: 1
    My service 4WD engine light comes on now and then. What servicing does the 4WD need. It is a 2001 Cherolet LS 1500 4wd with 73,000 miles.
    thanks! :)
  • vettman1vettman1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 s-10 blazer lt
    When you push the button for 4wd hi it just ticks and the service 4wd light comes on. It then goes back to 2wd and service light goes out.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    It sounds like the 4WD switch. Search the S10 discussions and you'll probably find out that someone else had the same problem. Good luck.
  • jackjeckel757jackjeckel757 Member Posts: 3
    my 4 wheel drive on my 92 Sonoma was working fine, but I went to use it the other day, and you can feel the transfer case lock but the 4 wheel indicator lamp doesn't light and the front end isn't locking, any ideas???
    does anyone know how to post in this forum? it seems like everyone just posts whatever they want wherever they want....
  • CDIICDII Member Posts: 8
    Check the actuator under battery tray, it should be drawed back into the casing when 4hi or 4lo is engaged. If not trace down the vacuum. Not sure if the light hookes to the shift cable on the front passenger axle like the older s10's or not.
  • tachi06tachi06 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know where the 4 wheel drive vacuum actuator switch is located on a 1997 chevy pickup
  • jtv1jtv1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sonoma 4x4, and the actuator/servo(under the battery tray) keeps blowing out....the rubber bellows keeps ripping or it separates from the body...it has been replaced 5 times this year !! The transfer case does engage , the buttons work fine. But without the actuator the Hubs dont lock in.....HELP....winter is coming....thanks.....
  • 1989s15jimmy1989s15jimmy Member Posts: 1
    hello got gold, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your blazer? I'm just curious because i am having the same problem with my four wheel drive it will work some times then all the sudden it pops out and feel like its not fully engaged if you've fixed it what did you replace?
  • javacadjavacad Member Posts: 1
    I Have a "93" sonoma it's an automatic with a 4.3, the 4WD is controlled by a lever on the floor. It used to when i put it in 4hi or low would take about 10 minutes to actually engage. now it doesnt engage at all in any position. Any thoughts of wht the problem could be?
  • dontom13dontom13 Member Posts: 3
    i have about the same problem as every body else does, my will go into 4 wheel drive and then when i drive about 4 blocks it will kick it out, i have check vacuum line and replace the bad one, i have the vacuum actuator out and when you start the truck it sucks in, when you shift it into 4 wheel it slowly move out a little, is this normal if any body can help with this please help.
  • cmanglecmangle Member Posts: 3
    Vehicle: 2001 GMC Sonoma sls ext cab 4.6L

Problem: 4Hi and 4Lo won't engage, Low xfer case engages but front wheels don't.

Symptoms: When I bought this truck used I noticed that after engaging 4Hi
    there was a vibration around 50-65mph. After 20-30 miles the vibration would
    go away.

Didn't use 4Hi/4Lo for quite a while.

After recent snow storm when I tried to use 4Hi. Upon disengaging there was
    an oscillating vibration that would lower in frequency until stopping front
    wheels. When accelerating noise is not heard, only when coasting or decelerating. At this time the vehicle was out of 4wd. Vibration did not go away after 20-30 miles.

Just the other day after another snowstorm, I tried the 4Hi/4Lo and it won't
    engage 4WD only low range. I get ONLY a click for 4Hi and a click and a clunk
    for 4Lo. Seems as though I get the low range but the front axle won't engage.

When engaging the 4Hi and traveling 5-10 miles I heard an occasional couple of knocking noises from what appears to be the right front wheel/hub. Pressing 2Hi button stops these random knocking noises.

The lights corresponding with the buttons on dash work properly i.e. 4Hi lit
    when 4Hi pressed and 4Lo lit when 4Lo pressed, 2Hi lit when 2Hi pressed.
    !
    What suggestions does anyone have and what should I check for?

thanks
  • littleoscolittleosco Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 S10 xcab with exactly the same problem. We haven't used 4wd for over a year. Our truck is for sale and we have a buyer for it and when he tried to put it in 4wd yesterday while test driving, it would go into 4Lo (nice clunk) but not 4Hi. I messed with it awhile and by putting it in drive for a second then back to neutral, I was able to get it to engage to 4Hi. I'm taking it in this morning to be fixed so we can sell it later today (I have two different buyers lined up!). I will post more later as soon as I have a diagnosis. I have seen this problem posted here before.
  • littleoscolittleosco Member Posts: 11
    An update from this morning. . .
    Our mechanic messed with it, trying to take it in an out of 4hi, 4low, and 2hi. Now it works fine. He says because we hadn't used 4wd in over a year, the actuator was probably stuck. He went ahead and had me go to a transmission shop for clarification. They said the same thing but warned me that possibly something is starting to 'go'. I did ask him why it sometimes takes a couple trys to get it out of 4lo back to 2hi and he said that is perfectly normal. I have left a message for our potential buyer to let him know the outcome, however, we have had an intermittent problem with the abs/brake light coming on and staying on when you start it. It hasn't happened in weeks so we thought it fixed itself. Lo and behold, when I started it at the store this morning, the darn lights came on! Turned the truck off, restarted it, and then they went out. Our poor little truck just doesn't want to leave us, I guess! Hoping it doesn't happen again until our buyer comes to pick it up.
  • stumannstumann Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 s-10 Pickup, 4.3, with pushbutton 4WD. When it is in 4-Hi or 4-low, there is a rather sever clunk when accelerating. If I go up a hill at a steady speed, the clunk will occur about every 20 to 30 feet in 4-hi. I's severe enough that I feel it in the whole truck. It feels like it is kicking out and back in for a split second. If I let off the gas, or get on a level road, it goes away. I checked all the fluids, all is well. Has anyone ever encountered this problem?
  • cmanglecmangle Member Posts: 3
    . . . CV joints?

I thought those were only in Honda's!
  • stumannstumann Member Posts: 7
    CV joints would be clunking with every revolution of the tire. This goes about 20 feet in between clunks.
  • sonomaguy96sonomaguy96 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    i have a 1996 gmc sonoma 4.3 v6 5speed, when i put the truck into 4wd on the floor to low or high the front driveshaft turns but the wheels do not. ive check the vaccum lines and there all good, the actuator under the battery is also good. What could this problem be?
  • kraigncharitykraigncharity Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 gmc sonoma crew cab....i am having trouble with the 4x4....it will not go into 4hi at all...when i press 4hi the indicator lights for 4lo and 4hi blink and then stays in 2hi.... when i press 4lo it shifts into 4lo without any problem and without the transmission being in neautral....anyone have any ideal what i can do???? please help me out quick...trucks for sale and need it fixed...
  • chevys11chevys11 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. What was the fix?
  • 440bigblock440bigblock Member Posts: 2
    Any update? I have several hundred dollars invested in a repair and they cannot come up with a fix...over...
  • 440bigblock440bigblock Member Posts: 2
    Any update? I have the same thing going on..
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    440bigblock,

Can I get a better understanding of your vehicle concern? What year/model is your vehicle?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gmfanaticgmfanatic Member Posts: 3
    i am having the same issue my truck is a 2000 gmc sonoma 4.3L v-6 extended cab 3 button 4wd
    got it to work for a while unhooking by my battery cable and reconnecting it would temporarily fix the issue but now nothing works and i have no 4 hi goes to 4 low with no problems
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for getting in touch with me, gmfanatic,

Our primary diagnoses are performed at our dealerships, and so I would recommend an appointment at your preferred dealer. We could look into your vehicle's information to see what we can learn, if you like. Please email us the last 8 numbers of your VIN along with your name/user name and contact information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 78160367816036 Member Posts: 1
    Hey: Did you ever find out what the problem was. I have a 2003 S10 and exactly the same thing just happened. Let me know if it was fixed.
  • jjflynn71jjflynn71 Member Posts: 1
    My truck has the exact problem as this person #38
    Problem: 4Hi and 4Lo won't engage, Low xfer case engages but front wheels don't.

Symptoms: When I bought this truck used I noticed that after engaging 4Hi
    there was a vibration around 50-65mph. After 20-30 miles the vibration would
    go away.

Didn't use 4Hi/4Lo for quite a while.

After recent snow storm when I tried to use 4Hi. Upon disengaging there was
    an oscillating vibration that would lower in frequency until stopping front
    wheels. When accelerating noise is not heard, only when coasting or decelerating. At this time the vehicle was out of 4wd. Vibration did not go away after 20-30 miles.

Just the other day after another snowstorm, I tried the 4Hi/4Lo and it won't
    engage 4WD only low range. I get ONLY a click for 4Hi and a click and a clunk
    for 4Lo. Seems as though I get the low range but the front axle won't engage.

When engaging the 4Hi and traveling 5-10 miles I heard an occasional couple of knocking noises from what appears to be the right front wheel/hub. Pressing 2Hi button stops these random knocking noises.

The lights corresponding with the buttons on dash work properly i.e. 4Hi lit
    when 4Hi pressed and 4Lo lit when 4Lo pressed, 2Hi lit when 2Hi pressed.
    !
    What suggestions does anyone have and what should I check for?

thanks