Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Heater blower relay switch

Comments

• GerritGerrit Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2002 Grand Prix GTP. Fan speed 1 through 4 don't work. Fan speed 5 works well. No problems with Day time running lights, rear window defogger, etc. Can you confirm that by replacing the ignition switch, I'll have the 4 speeds back? Is there a way to check if it's indeed the ignition switch that's causing the issue?
  • gkretchmergkretchmer Member Posts: 1
    Look at the dic/hvac fuze behind the glove box cover. If it has less the 12 volts on the fuze with the heater blower motor in a middle position and the head light switch off, with engine running it is probably the ignition switch. If the heater blower runs set to max (5), the blower motor is good. If the blower fails to run on some settings other than 5 but runs on others, and you have 12 volts or better on the dic/hvac fuze, it is probably the resistor pack, located behind the blower motor above the floor on the passenger side. If you pull the blower motor, oil the bearings, and check the drain hole is open (engine side). The dic/hvac 20 amp fuze is shared by many circuits, the day time run lights, seat heaters, rear window defogger, and the fancy style heater accessories, depending on the exact year of the car. All these are fed by the 60 amp ignition 2 fuze in the engine fuze block, then through the 20 amp dic/hvac fuze with the key switch in between. The DLR is located above the parking brake peddle but not much appears to go wrong with that but less than 12 volts feeding the DLR will not trigger the day time lights. Mitchell has a complete wiring diagram I got from the web for around 12 bucks, an actually has all the circuits in the set, something like 50 pages of complex diagrams! I found them here: http://www.ahdol.com The diagrams in the usual manuals from Checkers are worthless, as is who ever designed the heater resistor pack placement at GM for the Grand Prix. Hope this helps.
  • PiggseyePiggseye Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the fan motor resistor is located in grand prix se, 2002
  • KAY65KAY65 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Pont GP. My blower will not shut off even when the engine is not running. It will only blow on #5. I have pulled every possible fuse in both electrical panels and nothing shuts it off. I took it to a mechanic and the only thing that he could do was to disconnect the blower all together. Now, I am without heat & window defroster which is a necessity. Please give me the magic CURE that's not going to cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.
    I have a 2004 Pont GP. My blower will not shut off even when the engine is not running. It will only blow on #5. I have pulled every possible fuse in both electrical panels and nothing shuts it off. I took it to a mechanic and the only thing that he could do was to disconnect the blower all together. Now, I am without heat & window defroster which is a necessity. Please give me the magic CURE that's not going to cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.
  • lberglberg Member Posts: 3
    1st the ignition switch would not go back to the off position but I'm able to stick a screwdriver up the hole under the column..works good
    2nd gas gauge freaks out..up and down..have to watch my trip odometer
    3rd the radio digits go haywire the come back
    4th winter and I freeze windows up on inside
    5th blower doesn't work..managed to " unthaw " it and worked..sort of
    6th now it only works in the 5 position
    7th Sell this 2001 Gran Prix???? Kinda depressing
  • 348ironworker348ironworker Member Posts: 1
    I am currantly experiencing the same condition with exact automobile and have come to learn the problem is called blower motor resistor. Thats what NAPA autoparts use for nomenclature. Others call it a module. Price ranges from 65.00 to 100.00 at dealerships. The fasteners used are metal rivots which does not replacement as easy as i had hoped since it's 15 degrees outside and i have no garage.

hope this helps and you are able to enjoy the holidays.
  • craig32craig32 Member Posts: 30
    Careful!

Although, apparently, the 2 things that are the most common to go bad (eg., the blower motor itself, or the resistor, just outside the blower), many people went & bought the resistor, only to find they spent money for nothing, as this wasn't the cause.

Don't install the new resistor,...just , carefully, plug it in, to see if this fixes things (that way, you can retiurn it for a refund, if it doesn't!).

I haven't had air/heat for 2 years (but live where climate is bearable).

And, same as most: fan speeds stopped working until only #5 setting would work,...but then, not even that!

It should be asimple fix (anyone know how to test the body control module, without removing half the dash???

There must be a way of feeding getting the blower to work, & still send power to work the neccessay vacuums, other necc systems for air/heat, without fixiing the ignition wiring (it's a BIG job!).
  • defostodefosto Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 grand prix gt.When I start the engine and turn the heat on the blower will only come on after about 10 minutes of driving.The blower works fine once it's running but if I shut the car and restart then I go through the same thing again.
    I have a 2004 grand prix gt.When I start the engine and turn the heat on the blower will only come on after about 10 minutes of driving.The blower works fine once it's running but if I shut the car down and restart then I go through the same thing again.
  • torybtoryb Member Posts: 3
    im having a prob with my 2004 grand prix i saw you mention the the ignition switch wires .im hoping thats whats wrong with my car but it also over heats too and cant figure out why . we changed the radeaitor and water pump and the thermostat can you help
    I got tired of dealing with this problem so I took it to the dealership. They said that it is a common problem with the Pontiac Grand Prix. After inspection, it was determined that the Resistor shorted out the Blower Motor. Both part had to be replaced. The dealership cost of the Resistor Module $92.80 and the Motor $164.10. Labor $273.74.

As for over heating... More sure that you are using GM Parts ONLY!!! Other brand parts for this car causes problems. Stay out of Advance & Auto Zone!!!

Good Luck!
  • mkn1mkn1 Member Posts: 2
    OK... this morning I turned on the heater and it started out being normal then started reducing in speed. I then went to the different levels 2,3 4 and 5 with the same results. At level 5 it was blowing at level 1 speed and finally quit entirely. Is it the motor or relay or aliens.... 2003 Grand Prix GT, 162000 miles.....
    Thank you
  • mkn1mkn1 Member Posts: 2
    mkn1 continuation:
    In reading this forum further there are a few more symptoms;
    I no longer have to depress the brakes to shift into gear.
    There has been times that my radio display flickers.
    I can't get my ignition key out unless I physically release it by going under the steering column.
    Any help would be appreciated.....
  • auauauauauau Member Posts: 1
    so we know that the rain draining on the passenger floor could be the caused of the problems to the wiring and possible the blow motor had same issues except that when blower was working for me that 1 to 4 was working and the 5 wasn't on occasion, also don't know about my lights if they were woking when the blower motor was working I have one of my fog lights out but seems all my lights are working when the blower isn't as I took a look tonite tried various things but no blower tried turning over ignition playing with the wiggling the key lock to see if it was a short to see if blower would come on it didn't. It seems that had difference with other peoples problems which I may think it could be the blower. I checked all the hoses to see if was running hot seems all of them were also changed thermostat wasn't the problem checked fuses under hood they seem all ok not to sure about the relays also took a look at the blower itself looks like water all over it from rusty water marks from the rain and probable washing the vehicle. Cause everything is fine except the blower and also had the dimming and then ok on occasion within a split second or two so anybody have sugestion on that problem? a 1997 grand prix GTP model
  • az_98gtpaz_98gtp Member Posts: 3
    Hello there, I am having trouble with my 98 Grand Prix GTP heater/AC blower motor. To begin with, I was having trouble with only getting heat from the passenger side vents and cool air on drivers side as well as my blower motor was having extremely loud screeching noise coming from it. I still had all 5 motor speeds the best I can tell or remember.

After hunting around for answers on the Internet at different web sites, I found this link saying to change the left/right side door actuator. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=41201.0 After taking my actuator out and finding the gear was broken like shown at the link, and thought I had myself a quick fix and ran down to the local wrecking yard to get a good one.

I replaced that and proceeded to fix the blower motor noise. I took the motor apart and cleaned and oiled the bearing on it and put it back together. After I plugged it back in, the blower motor would only turn on for a few seconds and then turn on for a few more seconds real soon there after. It does this every time I turn on the heater control and shut it back of again. I have tested 12v to the motor and it does run just fine.

I proceeded to replace blower motor control module and still no luck getting the blower motor going. Also I do have heat in my seat, HUD works fine and no other noticeable problems besides the blower motor not coming on.
    Is there a way of resetting the system in any way at all?
    PLEASE help! Thanks!!!! :sick:
  • jiggles04462jiggles04462 Member Posts: 1
    It appears a whole slew of problems can arise with a bad ignition switch. I recently bought a used 1999 Grand Prix and was told (when I bought it) that the key doesn't always come out of the ignition and the switch will need to be replaced. I got around it for a few months by manually removing the key. First the lights on the radio went, then the blower on the heater followed. All seemed to be going ok until yesterday when the car did nothing. It has no power at all, but the battery appears to be holding a charge. I can't even open the truck with the button in the glove box. Could these problems all be related to the ignition switch?
  • elfriedaelfrieda Member Posts: 3
    Well,
    I am replying to myself, seems the ignition switch started shorting out the radio, cd player, etc. When I replaced that, The AC/ Heater/Blower all worked again but had to replace the Radio/CD.
  • juceejucee Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a GP 98 and the ac is blowing but not at the level it's on it's blowing cool but at level 1 on 5! Also, it cuts off once the RPM starts going crazy! I just had the ing switch changed b/c the key wouldn't come out.
  • lberglberg Member Posts: 3
    Many issues finally climaxed with an engine fire while shut off...nice.
    Part of the 3.8 recall for engine fires?????
  • beamer22beamer22 Member Posts: 5
    Here is my problem, can anyone help.? I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe., I had lots of ignition problems in the past, key not coming out, vehicle can't be shut down transmission won't lock etc. All fixed by dealer on warranty. Now the daytime running lights and the auto night lights will not work, The rear defogger, fan blower and A/C switches will not work. The dealer diagnosed it with a fan blower control switch problem. Approx.$ 500.00 in repairs. After going through the trials and tribulations of the ignition and security lock outs I am looking for a definitive answer. Can anyone one give me one?
    :confuse:
  • gtmngtmn Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue with 2000 Grand Prix where the running lights go out when blower switch is in 1-4. Do you have to replace ignition switch?
  • segrandprixsegrandprix Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced my heater blower and the ristor pack and everthing working fine and also it took care of the key sticking in the switch.
    I have a 2002 SE Grand Prix and I got the blower out of a 2000 model at the junck yard. The ristor pack was differant looking but works fine, to me it looked like an older style but also looked like it was made better. You will need a 5.5mm socket and ratchet wrench or a torx bit and a swavel and small extension 1/4 inch drive. The fan is located under passenager side dash. Its not hard to do, but is a pain to get to coz u have to lay under the dash and coz of that takes some time. :(:)
    Have u looked into replacing the ristor pack by the blower motor
  • tibone65tibone65 Member Posts: 2
    When I try to turn on the heater and a/c fan there is now fan turning on, he heater motor wasn't making any weird noises before the fan wouldn't turn on. Could it be the switch or what?!
  • tibone65tibone65 Member Posts: 2
    On radio display screen there is no light coming on at any time. Before it totally quite it would only work some of the time, like when the car what first started it would not come on but soon after started it would work!
    I would say that the ristor pack by the blower motor and the blower motor needs to be replaced. Check to see if you can get one at the junk yard. If you have the money get a new one, should be like 110 to 70 dollars for blower motor and 30 dollars for ristor pack. I got mine at junk yard for 30 dollars.
  • mikey52mikey52 Member Posts: 1
    I've made many repairs to my 2001. The knob on the right that controls heat, vent, ac, etc., broke. I got a new one. It now turns, but the settings don't change. It stays on the heat/defog combo (I think). I've already replaced the ignition switch and the AC ristor. (If that's what it's called.)
    I don't know if this forum is appropriate for the following comment. This Grand Prix is one big piece of junk. The second worst vehicle I have ever owned. (Plymouth Voyager being the first) :lemon:
  • shaun63shaun63 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 GTP with a heat problem and a blower motor problem. this past winter the heat got to where it wouldn't get hot at first it was once in a while now its luke warm at best but coolant level is fine, and temp gauge says engine temp is normal. Now the blower problem Started slowly once in a while blower motor wouldn't come on found that hitting the dash near heater control seemed to work to get it to come on for a while now nothing. I read the other post about the ignition wiring does that still apply on 04 models or should I be looking else where
  • baskingcrocbaskingcroc Member Posts: 1
    2001 gp 3.1, 1-4 ac/heater not working lights would turn off at 1-4 .

replaced ignition switch. ALL was good. Also key still gets stuck when you turn the car off but i just stick a small l wrench in there and its lets the key go.
    Shaun, I had this problem also but the warranty worked after 9 visits and they replaced the ignition and the linkages from the floor shifter to the locking steering wheel and the the locking ignition switch. I have a friend with a 99 SE and he carrys a screw driver to hold back the locking mechanism when he starts it. I recently took my 2001 Grand Prix in for the latest recall as they are concerned that an engine fire may occur due to leaking head gaskets, when I got it back and started it up the fan and A/C,DRL and the climate control all worked, first time in a year. I turned the fan down from level 5 and everything went back to where it was, broken. I turned off the vehicle and reset everything to the way it was and everything worked again until I turned down the blower. I can now replicate the problem, which is a bonus I guess as the dealer told me it was the blower control module. I am leaning more and more toward what Christy has been saying that it is the ignition switch. I am going to try this myself and see what happens as I have nothing to lose except money going to the dealership to go through their process of 1 thing at a time as I pay for it all. Shut off your vehicle, turn the the heater controls to the hottest setting with the blower in speed 5. Start the vehicle first to check and see if your blower works, if it does then set the temperature control levers to cool and test your A/C. It's great until you turn down the fan speed below 5 and everything shuts off. Try and replicate this problem. :sick: Maybe everyone else with this problem should try it and let me know. I will post if this ignition switch fixes the problem for me.
  • the_bognerthe_bogner Member Posts: 1
    Ive been reading alot on all the Grand Prix problems and im havin about all of them. first settings 1&2 didnt work on blower switch, radiodisplay freak out, then key sticks in ignition, then passanger side water leak, then blower failure...
    The problem Ive had that no one else seems to is that the blower came back on, and wont shut off even with the ignition off, its constant hot now. Think this all would be fixed by the "Ignition wire fix?" The main prob with the blower followed right after the water leak began

this and numerous little things have me ready to drive this damn car into a bridge emparkment. Any help would be greatly apriciated. If not ill shortly have a 97 GTP parts car available soon...
  • elfriedaelfrieda Member Posts: 3
    The ignition wire in my GP had started shorting out my CD, radio, blower, can cause lots of problems associated with your dashboard.
    After I replaced it; the Blower, AC/Heater worked, but had to get new Radio/CD. Seems it connects to alot. Who would have thought?
  • lordelinlordelin Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the heater blower on my 2002 GP GT. When I start the car the headlights and the trip computer display will come on. However when I turn on the fan for the heater/AC the headlights and trip computer go out and the fan doesn't come on. What do i need to do to fix this. it started out as an intermittent problem but is now pretty much all the time.
  • upsboyupsboy Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same issues on my 2001 Grand Prix GP. Started with the mileage display flashing and then the heater control thing. It's degrading rapidly. Yhe headlights were flashing, now I have to turn them on manually and the heater fan doesn't work at all. Does anyone have a definate answer as to what the fix is??
  • dfarinhadfarinha Member Posts: 8
    I have an 2003 and last year the blower quit working and I took off the knob to the control and cleaned the area where the ball bearing was and it worked again. That is until today when my Driver Info Center stopped working along with my rear window defrost, HVAC, and daytime running lights!!!!!! So I hope I can replace the switch myself!!!
  • rs50rs50 Member Posts: 1
    Hi: We have the same problem with the fan ignition switch and are trying to follow these excellent instructions. We've run into a problem, though. There is a piece of black metal that sits on top of and surrounds the key cylinder, and it is in the way of the key cylinder release latch and the switch itself. There is just no way to get to anything without removing this piece of metal, which looks like it's held in place by two gold-colored bolts with smooth heads. Is this some kind of theft-deterrent thing? Can we remove it, and if so, how? Any help would be great.
    Got my 01 GP back from my mechanic today. After he replaced a front wheel hub and sensor and reset the computer, my blower fan was working fine. The sensor was for the ABS system which also had shut down my traction control. My point here is that, one should have nothing to do with the other. I think it's the Pontiac gremlins. :confuse:
  • shottzshottz Member Posts: 2
    So i got this 2002 gtp about a year ago
    6 months ago the 1-4 switch on blower motor stopped working, i didn't get it fixed and i just used 5. Well yesterday 5 stopped working, i checked the fuses and they are all fine. I think I have 2 problems now, anyone got some ideas? I am headed out to clean the ball in the knob out to see if that fixes it, I will check back after that to see if anyone has responded. Its below freezing here and now I cannot drive the car until I get it fixed. I am trying to fix it myself as I am on a limited income.

Thanks in advance!
    I would def pursue the ignition wire fix. Turns out I had to bring my back to my mechanic after he reset the OBC and he did a work around with the ignition wire. He said the wire shorts out over time because of the tilt wheel. After the ignition wire fix I was good for weeks. Now my Service Engine Soon light has come on. It's going to be a long winter. Cars dying a slow death.
  • shottzshottz Member Posts: 2
    I beat on the switch and got 5 to work, but 1-4 still doesnt work, would that just need replacing of the thing by the glove compartment?
    I would check your ignition switch....same thing is going on with my 2003! Just wait until it starts running like total crap! Somehow the ignition affects the transmission from performing.
  • heavyhittersheavyhitters Member Posts: 1
    well I went to buy the wires from the auto parts store for 100 but I don't know where it goes i have a 2007 so i have not seen one that new with the same prob on here
  • anthony_noahanthony_noah Member Posts: 4
    Hey I'm writing from Germany to you. I have the same Problems too.
    98' GTP The blower works just in hi Speed, the Bordcomputer Display goes off if i Switch the Speedswitch on. I changed the resistor two times but i have the same problem. It wasn't the resistor. Somerhing else with the wires is wrong.
    The only repair was the Batterie and the alternator was changed.
    If somebody found the problem already?

Merry Christmas
    I took the steering column apart because it could be the ignition switch! There was low voltage on one of the wires (the orange one ). When I put a volt meter on the fuse panel I had low voltage on my Blower motor and My driver info screen. But now my car is running very bad....won't shift into gear ( like there is not enough power to push the transmission into gear. Plus it hesitates!!!! I'm changing out the ignition switch to see if all problems go away!
    Thank you for your answer, do you have now experience
    with changing the ignition Switch. I checked the blower Switch, the relay
    all was good. How many Volt are comming in onthe orange Wire?
    I think the Brown One was +? if you want i can describe how you can Test your blower Switch.
    After a missed diagnosis from the dealer saying a blower control module I went to another mechanic and he traced everything back and found it was the ignition switch that was causing all the problems. He replaced the switch with a new one and I now have 1-5 speed fan, AC, daylight running lights, rear window defogger. Hope this post helps you get to the problems with the fan switch. I am again happy with my 2001 Gran Prix GT.
    ;)
    Thank you,

i will relpace the ignition switch at next.
    So i tell you if i know more.
    Happy New Year.
  • timfig01timfig01 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 03 GrandPrix and it was my catalytic converters, was not switching gears or anything I was have an 80 year old lady pass me on the highway not good. Well if you are under 80,000 miles you can get it replaced for free from any ponitac dealer. On the other hand my heat is giving me problems been using only 4 and 5, 1 thru 3 are not working. Has anybody figured out how to fix this problem?