Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Heater blower relay switch

Comments

• anthony_noahanthony_noah Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    i replaced now the ignition switch and it works all perfect
    again. Thank you to all who help me. The devil magic electric
    problems are away.

Andre
  • craig32craig32 Member Posts: 30
    HI!

But, did you have any trouble with the transponder key security system, in that when u disconnect the ignition switch, the system wouldn't start the car, & u had to pay a dealer to re-set it?

That's my concern/so many people have reported this happening.

If anyone else has replaced the ignition swich to cure the heater/air problem, please respond, & tell me :

1) the year/miliage of the grand prix (mine has 45,000 miles (heater hasn't worked since about 38,000 miles).

2)The engine size u have.,
    and,
    3) Any way around the possible security key drawback i just described??

4) Also, if the heater controls don't work, does this create a problem when flushing the cooling system(e.g., don't u need to ctivate /divert water to the heater core, in order to flush thru IT too???

w. older cars u did.
  • piercedntattdpiercedntattd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 grand prix that the blower motor went out on all speeds. When this happened it took out the horn, windows, rear defrost, keyless entry, wipers. I have taken it to the garages that "specialize" in electrical but no one has answers. I have tried/ checked all fuses, in dash and under hood. Any suggestions?
  • dfarinhadfarinha Member Posts: 8
    Check your ignition switch. It's real easy. I did it myself! The part will cost you about $100, when you take it apart be careful not to damage the pass key III. There is a small hole on top of the key cylinder. Take a ICE PICK and place in the hole and then put the key in the ignition. The whole cylinder slides right out and then disconnect. It's real simple if you have a diagram. I found one by going to google and searching "ignition switch removal for a 1997-2003 Grand Prix. I got step by step directions (with the exception of the pas key removal...which I mentioned earlier) and it was done......Also make sure you have an inverted torx set ($20). You will also need to go to Auto Zone and get the small inverted torx bit ($5)...I believe it's a a #4! To take everything apart and put back it should take about an hour....and no reprograming necessary. Unplug then plug back in. The reason it's your ignition switch is that all the voltage goes through the ignition, and if there isn't enough juice to operate the computer will take it away in order for the ignition to work.
  • wendygwendyg Member Posts: 3
    My blower works awesome,I just can't get it to stop blowing off my feet.speed is fine direction is not.Any suggestions?
  • nimitz2nimitz2 Member Posts: 1
    hello all,

I have a 2005 pontiac grand prix and on my climate controls when i got to turn the
    blower fan knob to adjust it for a certain speed it only stays at one speed and also it will not turn off even when the car is off and knob is in the off position.It keeps running constantly.What do I need to check and where.Thank You
  • piercedntattdpiercedntattd Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the ignition switch still no power to all the above mentioned components, when i was replacing the switch i noticed a bunch of wires spliced in to it under the dash. any idea what these are? im about ready to just junk the car, should know better than to buy a gm vehicle, they have raped the american car buyer for years and now they are raping the government for money to bail them out because their engineers cant build something that lasts without major hassels
  • buddy49buddy49 Member Posts: 1
    Where is this box located
  • usmcgiolinhusmcgiolinh Member Posts: 2
    My grand prix was doing the same thing 1-4 fan motor does not work and sometimes #5 speed did not work. The problem could be the Ignition switch, Lock cylinder or both. I just went thru all that crap, heres what to do. Its easier to replace the steering colunm. You will have 2 keys then but can be fixed in about 1 hour. Go to a auto salvage and get a used one the cost is about $125.00 or there abouts. This will fix most problems cause the ignition controls everything.
  • sweetratssweetrats Member Posts: 7
    After much research, I can tell you that the problem is caused by water leaking in to the car though the hood gasket. The water leaks into the interior onto the blower motor relay and sometimes travels along the wiring causing shorting and corrosion. Unfortunately, just replacing the relay won't permanently fix the problem. Caulking the gasket helps until the caulk becomes unstable and the leaking starts all over again.
    Unfortunately, the relay is located in a difficult place to access - on the firewall behind the AC motor.
    Some of you may have noticed that the carpet on the passenger side of the car gets wet when it rains. . . . . . ....... :P
  • ihgirlihgirl Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Grand Prix GTP has lots of problems....the ignition switch is most likely the problem. I'm trying to find where I can order the part, I'm in Canada and can't find "Ignition Switch" anywhere. I have found it on the USA sites. Any help would be great.
    TIA
    :sick:
  • russdartsrussdarts Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Grand Prix GT the heater blows only hot even when set to cold. My rear defog and air conditioner buttons don't light up . any ideas
  • mwalksmwalks Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix and have had the same problem occur in 2008 and again just a few days ago. Both times it was the A/C Power module that had to be replaced. When I replaced it in 2008, there was a service bulletin about the problem, but no bulletin this time according to the dealer. There is an obvious problem with this part, as I just picked my car up today and after driving for 30 minutes, the problem re-occurred. At least this time it will be a warrantee repair, but that doesn't make up for the inconvenience. Good luck!
  • busmechanicbusmechanic Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Replacing the blower motor resistor/relay assembly on the 2001 Grand Prix only solved getting the motor to run on #5. The main electrical wire to the ignition switch sounds like the culprit. I got my diagrams from Autozone.com to help diagnose the switch. All voltage from #1 thru #5 from the switch was slightly less than 12 volts but still managed to pull the relay in for the high-speed fan. All other positions from 1 thru 4 turn off the auto headlights and no blower motor action. If you ask me GM should have a safety recall on all vehicles with this type of set-up. There is no reason to loose headlights while driving and trying to keep warm or cool.
    You need to replace the ignition switch! As crazy as it sounds that is your problem! You see all the voltage rubs through the ignition switch. If the there is a disruption of voltage running through the circuit the ECM won't allow the blower to operate at 100%. It's fairly easy to do, but make sure you don't damage the Pass Key III, to take it off you will need to use an ice pick or something like that to remove it. I replaced my ignition switch and it solved all my blower problems!
    Thank you. No, it is not so crazy. I did quite a bit of research on many forums and came to that same conclusion. Unfortunately for me, I took the car to a mechanic and I can't seem to find the original key with the computer chip in it. So, it is going to cost me an extra $150 for that. I suggested to him that replacing the ignition switch and getting a new key should all be a one step process.
    I can't believe that Pontiac hasn't called in a fix on this. I can't tell you how many people I have seen with the same problem: that stupid leaky area between the hood and firewall, water gets in and, well, you know what they say about water and electrical stuff - they just don't mix. :sick:
  • mrsoonermrsooner Member Posts: 1
    my blower is working fine but now heat. The car was acting like the thermostat was going out this morning. when I started the car it wen directly to half way on the therm. blower was working no heat. Once the car got to danger area the heat started to work. changed the thermostat after work and the heater doesn't blow hot.Any ideas?
  • dfarinha1dfarinha1 Member Posts: 1
    Check your coolant level, and also I had the same problem and it was a cracked radiator cap! cheap fix!
  • jasonbouldin1jasonbouldin1 Member Posts: 2
    i changed the ign. switch delco about 100.00 and two hours not that bad.
  • jasonbouldin1jasonbouldin1 Member Posts: 2
    if you are using dexcool and have not changed it it could be a clogged heater core had that problem with 98 Tahoe.
  • h8pontiach8pontiac Member Posts: 1
    so a good sys flush could help? no heat, and now in the upper 20's, damn cold ride to work and back.
  • klmoonklmoon Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 07 Grand Prix a few months ago in the summer. Not that I am using the heat, I am having problems. Blower works fine, but no heat, barley warm enough to defrost windshield. Sometimes if you let it run awhile, drive a bit, then stop for about 20 mins, sometimes we have heat. The more times you stop for a bit, the more heat you have. Have changed thermo w/ GM part, also had system flushed and filled. Still no help...any ideas? Thinking heater core, but passenger side does not get wet. Please help someone it is -5 her in KC today, heat would be great.
  • jenwinn1984jenwinn1984 Member Posts: 2
    My heat stopped working consistently about a month ago in my 2002 Grand Prix SE, at first I was able to kick around underneath the dash and it would come back on, so I just assumed something was loosely connected, but it has eventually since died out and nothing will come on at all. No air is blowing out of any of the vents whatsoever, hot or cold. I have no other issues with my car, just this situation with the heat and in the middle of winter dealing with below 0 temps most of the time, it makes not only for a cold drive, but near impossible to see with how frozen my windows get. I bought a little dash defroster/heater that plugs into my 12v as a temp fix, and have an appointment scheduled with the mechanic in a few days as I cannot handle this anymore with the cold temps outside. Any idea what could be the main culprit? :cry:
    I have two possible solutions for you. First, a $10 part - check the blower motor resistor. It is located behind the AC motor, kind of hard to get at but with small hands its not too bad. You can google images and schematics. Second, and seems to be a consistent problem with the Grand Prix, the ignition switch. Sounds odd, but apparently all the wiring runs through this switch (where you put the key in). Be aware that if this is the problem, the next issue you will have is that the car will intermittently not start at random times. Good luck. ;)
  • burnszburnsz Member Posts: 2
    Fan does not work in settings 1 and 2, but 3 - 5 work just fine. Does not matter if for AC or heat. Is this the switch or some other relay? Is it an easy fix?
  • beamer22beamer22 Member Posts: 5
    The simple fix for my situation, which is very similar sounding to your problem was the ignition switch. Once I changed it out the rear defroster, daytime running lights, fan and A/C all worked as if they were new. GM mechanics wanted to change out the relays and resisters @ $150 a pop plus labour, I'm glad I found the solution on this forum. Good Luck!
  • burnszburnsz Member Posts: 2
    I have read the previous message regarding this issue and it seems often that the ignition switch was the problem for many of the electrical issue on the dashboard. I presume this is the switch on the steering column and that it is relativley easy to replace yourself. Are there any special tools required (I read an ice pick was handy)? I am not having any of the other electrical problems, just the fan in positions 1 and 2, 3-5 work fine.
    The one thing I would caution on replacing the ignition is to remember that the key (depending on year) has a computer chip. If you have to replace the key it will cost a lot more. Unless you can figure out a way to bypass Pontiac.
  • bethel1919bethel1919 Member Posts: 1
    That happened to my 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix, eventually the 4 stopped and yesterday nothing at all.

I had the dash torn apart and was told that Pontiac did not put the cabin filter in so there was dirt and paper in the fan. He cleaned it out but never got around to getting me the part I needed to repair it.

Good luck
  • ejones86ejones86 Member Posts: 4
    What I want to know does this ignition switch problem also go for the newer grand prix's I have a 04 and my heat/defroster/air also only works sometimes. Then when I need it too work it makes a clicking sound like it wants to come on but never does anything. So I should I have my ignition switch replaced as well
    I've read all these post about the ignition switch on older models of the grand prix dealing with the heat and defroster. Does this apply to the newer models as well? I have a 04
    what year is your car?
    its a 2004
  • biodan23biodan23 Member Posts: 1
    Since you replaced your thermostat it may be your water pump.
  • mwl76mwl76 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem too. My blower will quit and then restart the next day. This week it started and would not shut off even if the key was out. They only way to get it to stop is to remove a fuse. I have contacted GM. There is a recall. My car was not included. I reported it to NHSTA and you guys should do the same. My car started blowing smoke from the vents today. I have read the recall through an internet website. It will cause fires. GM has to fix this since it is a problem for all. The fire can not only damage your property but your health as well.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mwl76,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your VIN? Also, include the user name from forum.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • msconfusedmsconfused Member Posts: 2
    My car has been running very hot, hasn't over heated yet because I have shut it down. But what I'm also noticing is that the heat and air will be turned on all the way, and they wont blow out until I am driving at atleast 35 mph for a few minutes. I have been told it could possibly be the fan switch. Any info would help greatly!
    msconfused,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • msconfusedmsconfused Member Posts: 2
    yes i have had it diagnosed, the code that was given to me is P0420.
    It all has a lot to do with the Catalytic Converter..... Which that has already been replaced and has nothing to do with the problem i am having now. The thermostat and radiator were also checked and those seem to be fine as well. I dont quite understand why these problems i am having would not register?
    msconfused,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to get the process started I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • cmccarty22cmccarty22 Member Posts: 1
    My step fathers 02 Gran Prix has been doing this for a little over 6 months now. The dealer replaced the blower motor resistor did not fix the problem, Then they replaced the Blower motor did not fix the problem. We asked if it could be the ignition switch they told us no way . The lights now shut off when you turn the air down from #5 the Trip planner display turns on and off and the dealer said they have done all they can do. My step father cant keep paying the dealer ship $400.00 bucks every tine he takes it in and hope they can fix it.
  • mawilliz1mawilliz1 Member Posts: 7
    definitely the ignition switch. and stop going to the dealer! find a good honest mechanic on craigslist.
  • jroman2jroman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02' Grand Prix and have had this same issue air will not come out a/c or heat unless I drive over 35+MPH , before that it would come out very light even on #5. Now my lights dont have problems neither does the console but a few months back my key would get stuck in the ignition and then the air started acting funny. Will this also be the ignition switch ? I dont have alot of money to spend and Diagnostics around my area are 100.00+ just to open the hood any help is greatly appreciated thank you.
    The ignition switch can be purchased new or used! If you have a junkyard nearby it would be even cheaper. But you really have to be handy at taking apart your ignition. It's a bit tricky taking your "PASS KEY III" out, I took an ice pick to release it. There is a tiny hole in the collar, insert the pick and it will release it. I found out how to take everything else off by just asking around. The job should only take about an hour for even the not so mechanically inclined! Its only removing screws around the stearing column and disconnecting the wire harness. Once you get the pass key off, you are good to go! That solved all my problems with that issue. You should get away with doing the job for under $100! If you know somebody who could help you, maybe they'll do it for a 12-pack or something!
  • grandprixladiigrandprixladii Member Posts: 2
    This is exactly what happened to me the other day. I went to shut off my 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and the fans didnt shut uff, i thought it odd since i had the keys of the ignition, but i remembered that sometimes the fan keep running, but this time it was the fans inside of the vehicle. went inside not knowing what to do. One hour later i cam eback out, my car was all fogged up and the fans were still running, now yesterday a lil bit smoke came out and now the fans dont even blow anything, at any setting!!! WTF whats wrong with my car..??
    grandprixladii,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • pprintsspprintss Member Posts: 3
    Hey I noticed your post was from 2009. My car is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
  • 3percenter3percenter Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem, it ended up being the resister. its a hundred doller part available at any part store. its located under the dash on the passenger side. its a plug in item bolted in with two bolts
  • pprintsspprintss Member Posts: 3
    I went under and wiggled the wires and it been working since
    That fix only works a few times. I replaced ours 3 times. Twice on my own. Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to have Meineke do me a favor and replace it the last time and they calked it into place. So, that when it blew again, I couldn't remove it. The real problem is that water leaks down through the hood cowl and shorts the system. Eventually, it works its way up to other areas of the electrical system.