Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    Yea, I know a lot of people have had the problem in warm weather as well. Gratefully, I have not and only suffered with it when the temps started to dip. I guess I've been lucky to sail through spring and summer with no problem.
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    It happens more often in the colder weather 40 degrees or less there is even a bulletin that states the colder weather that makes it fail more often.I have a friend that lives in.palm springs California an his worked fine all summer long in the winter no starts.
  • mortonkmortonk Member Posts: 9
    We finally got the cylinder lock back out. The problem now is that there seems to.be something broken in the housing. Is there any way to get in there without pulling the steering? Has anyone else had this much trouble?

Thanks!
  • 800xpjockey800xpjockey Member Posts: 7
    Saturntech9, my mother in laws 2005 saturn ion has the no start syndrome. She's 89 and dosen't need to be stranded. No turn over has happened several times last six mos. replaced starter and swapped starter relay. No dice still does it intermittantly. Last time it was 80 degrees out. Wait 10 min and it starts.
    Sounds like by the reading here she needs a new ignition switch! Sounds like i can replace the switch but then the code issue to re learn could be an issue.. Want to have my ducks in a row before i attempt the swap. Help!
    Swap whole ign switch?
    Do code technique?
    Should be good to go?
    Thanks for your help on this issue in advance!!!
    Chrisb212@hotmail.com
    What is broken in the housing?sounds like you may need a new ignition housing.
    When the car wont start is the security light on solid or flashing? If so most likely a bad ignition switch.Without reading the body control module codes to see if you have a B2960 and or B3033 It would be a guess that it was the ignition switch but that is the number one fix for the no starts
    All you do is replace the ignition switch and relearn the pass lock.
    Thanks saturn tech9. Will scan for the codes. If the light is flashing do what? If its solid do what? Distinguish difference please.concerning the codes b2960,b3033 suggest ign switch replacement or bcm replacement?. also could you send me the relearn proceedure. Her no crank happens when warm outside. Thank you, chris
    Chrisb212@hotmail.com
  • mrbill25mrbill25 Member Posts: 1
    Digging through this thread I'm not sure if I'm having the exact same problem or not.

2004 Ion out of the blue this past week refuses to start. Now I'm not sure if it is the infamous ignition switch problem because mine will turn over whereas I think people with that issue get nothing when turning the key (correct me if I'm wrong). Basically I can crank until the battery is dead and then have to charge it. Sometimes it seems like it is close to firing but nothing. Definitely getting fuel to the engine.

So is this the ignition switch / passlock problem or am I encountering something completely different here?
    The light in ethier state means the security is keeping it from starting.One or both those codes mean a bad ignition switch.
    Do you have any codes in the computer?Also have you checked for spark?You should have a nice blue spark?Also is the security light on?
    Thanks for the explaination. What is the relearn proceedure with the new switch installed? I need the proceedure before i replace the switch in her car.
    Whats your email address i will send it to you.
    Chrisb212@hotmail.com

Thanks saturntech9, my mother in law will be very appreciative. Take care, chris
  • jgomez1528jgomez1528 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I am having the no start problem with my wife's 2005 Saturn Ion. In my case the engine and battery lights stay on. We also have been dealing with a defective key for a while now, it takes some jiggling to turn, I am not sure if it is related but I would like to try replacing the ignition switch initially. Would you be kind enough to forward me the email you got from the other user on your post? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • louis2727louis2727 Member Posts: 1
    hi im an owner of a saturn ion 2004 manual transmission , before i switched the ignition switch the dash would light up with the little car and the lock and the motor would turn just a bit but wouldnt start now after i switched ignition sensor i did the 30 minute process and nothing note that when i switched the ignition switch the antitheft light went off and now the motor doesnt even turn and the antitheft light doesnt show up , idk what i can do im lost and not ganna go to gm becuase they apparently dont know whats going ! please right back or email me to sixaxis27t99@aol.com
    sorry saturntech9 has not replied to me with the relearn proceedure.
    my email is chrisb212@hotmail.com
    i am needing the relearn proccedure before replacing the ign switch..
    thanks saturntech9!!
  • jgomez1528jgomez1528 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there,
    I just picked up the procedure on YouTube and it works great. Search for Saturn 2004 Ignition Switch replacement. I found out my problem is with the key lock cylinder and I am trying to remove it, any experience with this?
    Sorry i havent been on here in a while give me your email again and i will email you the directions on how to change the cylinder.
    I could use the cylinder replacement proceedure as well as the relearn proceedure as well if you have time. Thanks, chris

Chrisb212@hotmail.com
  • igotaanswerigotaanswer Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Ok let me first state that im am not a mechanic or any person that is experienced with engines. Alright so ive was given a 2004 saturn ion by my family back in 06. Yet did i know i was given a car that would be soon considered possessed as my wife states. So since 2006 this car has given me this famous crank problem. It drove me nuts. It wasnt until feb.2012 that it would never give me a problem again. Though the windshield mounting system broke and fuel pump which is all famous for the cars. any ways this is how you fix it the free way. so i joined the coast guard in 2010 where i made good friends with a machinery tech 1st class. This guy saved me from this horrible car. I told him it dosen't crank unless it feels like it because it has a mine of its own. of course he thought i was crazy. so he first looked at my ignition switch and said you need a new one. but he said ill show you something. so he took of my ignition switch and theres another switch that mounts to the back of your ignition switch. you can use this switch to crank your car. its about a 3in circle that has a small rectangle in the middle of it. all you have to do is put something in that rectangle and turn it just like you would do when you crank your car with a key in the ignition switch. only draw back is that if your car isnt locked than someone can steal it. but i put my ignition swtch back together and hid the switch below my steering wheel.but since this was done it has not given me a cranking problem. ill post a picture later. but thhis is the free way. hope this helps
  • eg123eg123 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have been plagued by an issue of my key being ‘stuck’ in the ignition of my 2005 Saturn Ion 99% of the time when I would shut my car off for the past 18 or so months. The engine would shut off, but the power to the car would still be on. I would sit and wait a few minutes, hear the steering column ‘click’, and my key eventually would let go. However, on a few occasions, the key would stay ‘stuck’ for hours. I actually had to cut the end of my key at the part where it connects to key ring so I could leave the ignition key in the car so I didn’t have to wait for the key to let go.

I finally decided to see if I could take the steering column off and take a look around. But when I was going to do that, I noticed a small, 1 inch x 1 inch fuse access panel looking thing underneath the steering column. I thought it was odd to have any fuses there, so I popped it off and felt up inside the steering column. And low and behold, there’s a button! If my key is ever stuck (and it happens 99% of the time I turn my car off), I press and hold that button and my key comes right out. It’s a bit awkward to do, but it sure beats sitting in my car waiting for it to let go on its own.
    Most common reason for the key not turning off past the acc position on those cars is a bad micro switch on the base of the inside shifter failing.I have replaced tons of them for causing that.
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Member Posts: 41
    Wow! So you have replaced tons of them ...
    If that is such a common cause, how come gm has NOT issued a recall ...
    And, by the way, it goes back to when Saturn was still alive!
    Apparently they (gm) could care less and that is why so many gm and saturn owners replace their vehicles with NON - GM products.
  • mr_g1mr_g1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Saturn Ion 2. The car has 265K miles, and has been relatively problem free. I had the ignition switch starting problem about 4 years ago and once I replaced the ignition switch, the problem was resolved.
    The car is exhibiting a starting problem, but I suspect it is a battery or other electrical problem, not the starting problem described by so many. If I don't start the car every day and drive it, the car will not start. In every case, jumping the battery gets the car started and the charge seems to last for 24 hours. I am able to restart it during the next 24 hours. During Hurricane Sandy, lots of water entered through the sunroof and could have splashed on the power window switches on the driver's door. I noticed the rear power window didn't work for a while. Once everthing dried out, it seemed to work okay.
    The battery is the original, so my first thought is a replacement is due. It simply seems that the battery is not able to hold its charge.
    However, it could be a short or other electrical problem. Before replacing the battery, I wanted to find out if anyone had an alternative ideas.
  • patcroypatcroy Member Posts: 1
    Ok here is my solution... Bypass the BCM with alternate aftermarket switch thus creating an emergency bypass switch on the damn dashboard. My problem is intermittent NCNS with all other electrics functioning. So there should be no reason why this method should fail. Bonus also that there is no need to replace anything. I haven't much to loose by trying and it sure beats spending $800 + dollars on a guess. :shades:
    What are you guessing for 800?The most likely cause is the ignition switch which is like 20 on amazon also there really easy to install compared to your bypass switch?
    If its the oringal battery its 9yrs old and amazing to have lasted that long i would have it tested i dont see how it could be any good at this point.Lets start there eliminate the battery being bad if thats not it next you have to do a parstic draw test next.
  • mr_g1mr_g1 Member Posts: 2
    Replaced battery 3 days ago and all seems to work perfectly for now.
    Good to hear.
  • sunneegalsunneegal Member Posts: 5
    Up to now, have loved this car. But recently wouldn't start after running fine. Told battery was in great shape, told was not the ignition or starter. The mechanic said the starter box (??) was bad and replaced it for $560........ and guess what, two days later, same problem. This time he said the bad starter box may have blown out my battery, replaced battery ($150), Two days later the same problem, now they are closed for the holiday. The car starts eventually....... initially is as dead as it can be.........after 5 minutes, gives a little click click (I am a woman, might be a different description from a man).... then ten minutes later, an argh argh argh........ leave it alone and then 10 minutes later it starts. Now I have spent $710 without the problem being resolved. I am curious about a 'starter box' because I did a search on here to no avail.
    Anybody out there who might give me some insight on this.
    When it won't start is the security light on solid or flashing?If so you most likely have a bad ignition switch.That's the number 1 fix for no starts on that car.I would get a refund for all those expensive guesses with your money.If you have a code B2960 or B3033 in the Bcm then you need to replace the ignition switch.
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    Yes, it is a ignition switch. I just had mine done in Oct. and haven't had a rpoblem at all with starting. Hopefully, it will last.

The codes came up as the one stated above when I spoek with the mechanic.
  • sd46916sd46916 Member Posts: 7
    I have 2005 Ion & had same intermittent problem starting issues. Luckily I found this sight a year ago & changed the ignition switch in my driveway, got the part from auto zone, & DIY from alldata.com told me how. Saved a bundle & no starting problems since! Good luck!
    Yeah I have worked for Saturn for over 16yrs and a factory trained Saturn tech so my advice comes from that. I would make them given me a refund for all the work they have done for the no start or take them to small claims court sunneegal.
  • natraldocnatraldoc Member Posts: 1
    when I drive my 2005 Ion 2 for a few blocks I hear a click and it shuts off by itself. Also, having troubles starting and keeping it running. Had a new ignition switch put it and now it is worse. The tech had trouble reprogramming the car after the new ignition switch was put in. It gave out the first time I drove it after the switch put in. Now I can only drive it a few blocks before the click comes and ouut it goes. Please HELP!!!
  • froggy666froggy666 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    If anyone can help it would be great , i am a female and cars are not my thing. I have a 2005 Saturn Ion 2 , here is the issue , lately when driving my passlock dash light will come on. It is the one that looks like a vehicle with a lock. It doesn't happen all the time just every once in awhile..And so far the vehicle does not shut down or anything like that ....Now tonight my alarm on my vehicle started going off for no reason, when i tryed to reset with remote (i have two remotes and i tryed both ) my overhead light by windshield would not go off. So I had to just lock the doors with my key to get the light to go off , so passlock (alarm) is not set. Also if you know with remote when locking the vehicle you get a beep and lights flash to let you know it is set , mine would just start going off again as if you hit the panick button on the remote. Please if anyone can answer for me that would be awesome !
  • froggy666froggy666 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone can help it would be great , i am a female and cars are not my thing. I have a 2005 Saturn Ion 2 , here is the issue , lately when driving my passlock dash light will come on. It is the one that looks like a vehicle with a lock. It doesn't happen all the time just every once in awhile..And so far the vehicle does not shut down or anything like that ....Now tonight my alarm on my vehicle started going off for no reason, when i tryed to reset with remote (i have two remotes and i tryed both ) my overhead light by windshield would not go off. So I had to just lock the doors with my key to get the light to go off , so passlock (alarm) is not set. Also if you know with remote when locking the vehicle you get a beep and lights flash to let you know it is set , mine would just start going off again as if you hit the panick button on the remote. Please if anyone can answer for me that would be awesome !
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    natraldoc,
    Was the work described in your post performed at one of our dealerships? If so, we'd be happy to follow up on your visit with them. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    froggy666,
    One thing that the manual recommends when the PASSLOCK system is acting funny is to check the fuses. Check out p. 5-93 of your manual for information on how to find the fuse blocks on your vehicle.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions..... the mechanic said I could try and get a new key made...........and VOILA! no more problems except I am $700 poorer. So folks, a suggestion if you are having starter problems.,,,,, try a new key first!
    What year and model do you have?Because the ions have the pass lock sensor in the ignition switch.So unless the cylinder isn't turning which then I would first have a new key made from. The vin number not copying the old key.Also having the bcm scanned for codes which a diyer scan tool can't do.If you have codes B2960 and if B3033 then you have a bad ignition switch.
    It's a 2003 ION 2 door.......sporty model
  • jdtech101jdtech101 Member Posts: 1
    what do you do if my 2004 saturn ion will constantly turn over, but not start? like its getting no fuel. ran absolutley fine when parked, got back in an hour later and will turn over and turn over but no fire
  • saturnpainsaturnpain Member Posts: 7
    got 2007 ion wont start then might start after 4or 5 tries, got new battery new starter new gm ignition switch did reset. went out today no start 3 or 4 trys it started checked fuses checking connections now.i read its a common problem usually ignition switch.
    tested the clutch start switch.was good.
    Getting a new key worked for me, after spending $750 on everything else.
    Wouldn't hurt to give that a shot.
    Have you checked for spark yet?
    thnks i may run by gm tomorrow check on that i have two keys from factory.not thinking thats what it is im thinking bcm i want to see what the sevice dept has to say. i went to the one close to where i work they didnt give me much help i got the gm ignition switch from them.
    Keep us posted, saturnpain! Hope things go well for you today.

Sarah, GM customer Service