Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• Options
    saturnconniesaturnconnie Member Posts: 2
    Saturn not starting. I read that Saturntech9 has instructions on how to reset after you put the new ignition switch in. Please help me. If anyone knows the process you have to go through after you put in the new ignition switch please help. You can e-mail the directions to conniefeldmann@live.com.
  • Options
    bteezies86bteezies86 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I have had my 05 saturn ion2 for almost 4 years and never had a cold start problem. My boyfriend got an 03 to commute to and from work about 2 months and has had problems with it since he ot it. The last few days my car has hesitated to start but still started until last night when it wouldnt start. i thought it was the battery and replaced it but it still wont start. I'm now thinking it might be a cold start issue but I keep trying and nothing happens. I called my uncle who has been a mechanic for 25 years and he thinks it might be my starter or clutch switch but with out seeing it he cant tell me yet. does anyone have any suggestions for me
  • Options
    fire430fire430 Member Posts: 1
    we had the same problem and we were able to correct the issue by having a remote start installed on the car, basically the remote start system cuts the white wire out of the loop, haven't had a problem since and only cost 200 to have done and my wife wanted one anyway
  • Options
    marley5555marley5555 Member Posts: 5
    Well, I had been putting off doing anything about my 2004 Saturn not starting on cold days because the weather has been relatively warm for this time of year and I haven't had trouble in a few weeks. But now it's cold again in the mornings and back come the same old problem. This morning it took me almost 30 minutes to get the stupid thing started. So I broke down and went to auto parts store and got an Ignition Relay Switch (Napa Echlin part # AR167). It was only $10.00!! Woohooo! So I think before I cut the white wire, I'm going to try this.

Couple of questions though for those mechanics out there. I'm watching a youtube video on how to change the "ignition switch" in a Saturn Ion. The video shows the part is located underneath the steering column and looks nothing like the "ignition relay switch" I just bought. The part I bought is a black cube (about 1" cubed) with 4 prongs on the bottom and looks like a part that should go into the Engine Compartment Fuse Block.

Did I buy the correct part?
  • Options
    jessicafrancesjessicafrances Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a best buy near you? Well, with a little bit of my own knowledge of how and why this car has a starting problem, I found them to have my solution. I have a Saturn Ion 2004 which almost never started on cold morning. I went to buy a VIPER BRAND - AUTOMATIC PUSH START key and alarm system to be installed. The cost was roughly $500.00, which may seem like a lot but it was well worth it. MY CAR STARTS EVERYTIME :) What you do is go in to purchase the system, they will even install it there. What it is is a remote that looks like an alarm system, that is, but also starts your car with a push of a key. The way it is installed is that is bypasses the computer system that lets your car not start on those cold morning. So you push the button, and your car starts. You get in the car, put the key in and turn it back (not actually revving the engine though), and you are good to go. Every time I start my car I just use a button, and it starts within a mile away, which is a perk. Sometimes on cold morning I will start my car ten minutes before I am even leaving just to get the heater circulaing, and the same on hot days but with the air. It is amazing. I've been using for about a year now!!! GO TO BEST BUY, VIPER ALARM START, NO MORE PROBLEMS. do it!!!!! :)

HOPE THIS HELPS!
  • Options
    jessicafrancesjessicafrances Member Posts: 2
    I did the same thing! WORKS AMAZING.
  • Options
    brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    I really want to try this. I'm at my wits end with this car. Thanks for the info.
    So, if I buy this vipor alarm system at Best Buy, I should be able to take it to a mechanic and they should know what to do with it? I can't do it myself.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    BEst Buy has installation for the alarms. They have a garage area to pull cars in and install stereos, etc. Their workers would be used to that alarm and its installation. I'd recommend having them do it and be done right. Then if something goes wrong, they fix it under warranty for the installation as well as the alarm itself.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    Do they have a less expensive system that does the same thing ? My 05 is fine since it was fixed by the local Chevy dealership..... but for how long is the question. I'd rather do this than put the same junk in the car. OMG: I've only got 50,000 miles on the thing and it's been "fixed" five times already. By "experts". :confuse:
  • Options
    Yeah, after calling my mechanic he told me that Best Buy does this type of stuff. Not a problem.

Frankly, I just want the remote starter, not the alarm. If anyone WANTS to steal this car, they can have it!! I just want it to start!!

Thanks for your message.
  • Options
    Yes, Best Buy does have a Remote Starter only, no alarm that is cheaper. But then there will be the installation cost. No idea how much that will be.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Just make sure that whatever you're buying bypasses the security system of the ION.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    anthony2012anthony2012 Member Posts: 3
    Im having the same problem.... I was looking at your posts.... I had bought the same part. Anyway did you already install the part? I havent yet. Also wondering do you have the 2004 Saturn Ion 2.2?
  • Options
    Hi Anthony,

I haven't installed the part yet. After going back and reading all of the posts, it seems that I should have bought the ignition switch (part that is installed in the steering column on the opposite side of where your key goes). I'm going to try the ignition relay switch this morning. I'll go to that alldata website people keep referring to. Wish me luck! haha

ps...Yes, I have a 2004 Saturn Ion, 4-door automatic. Not sure if it's a 2.2 or not. I think it is :-P
  • Options
    Hello again,

See I was leaning this way at first too. Im actually working on my girlfriends vehicle... Its the same also, a 2004 Saturn Ion automatic sedan 2.2. Seems like a lot of these are having that problem. She had recently been taking it to a few different people to look at it but hasn't had the problem fixed. We are in the Twin Cities MN area and have also had the luck of abnormally nice weather lately; however, it seems as it has been getting cold again the problem came back. Anyway, I was going to look at it this last weekend but we were out of town and luckily that gave me some extra time to do a little research and make sure I was right! Anyway Im going to go ahead and try that later this week.... So did you end up installing that ther part as well? Keep me up to date if it worked for you! And thank you for your help.
  • Options
    Is there a difference between the ignition switch and ignition relay switch? I'm getting confused and I'm not mechanically inclined. If this is an easier way to go than the remote starter I'd rather do this. But I want to know what I should tell the mechanic.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cartrblcartrbl Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to give an update... I cut the white wire! LOL I cut it and my car runs fine! It starts no matter what and it has also fixed other problems I was having. I wanted to wait at least a week before reposting about my results, just in case.

So now, my car will start is cold weather (cutting the white wire) and it gives my key back (replacing button). So a huge thanks goes out to those who have posted about quick fixes and explaining how to do them! :)
  • Options
    sgb2003sgb2003 Member Posts: 44
    Mine's a 2003 Ion 1 with about 125K miles on it. The car was running fine till now and a couple of weeks ago it just failed to start. It is in the garage so cold weather is not an issue. The engine turns over and the battery seems to be fine (jumpstart didn't work either), so it's not that either. Plugs are relatively new, and air filter was cleaned recently. I've tried starting it on 3 different days, without luck. Where do I start diagnosing the problem? Is the ignition switch mainly a cold weather issue? I dont' recall seeing a "lock" light come on, but maybe I missed it. I don't mind getting an ignition switch and trying it out, since it's a cheap option, if that might be what's causing the problem. The trouble is, I can't take it to a shop either without getting it towed, so I would like to try out a few things on my own before I take that expensive step.

Thanks.
  • Options
    That's great but what happens when you need to have it inspected. Do you have state inspection? Comments on the Youtube video questioned that lght on the dash and not passing state inspection because of it.
  • Options
    princess1996princess1996 Member Posts: 1
    ok so i'm having the same problem with my saturn so i'm trying to figure out where is the white wire you're talking about. I'll try anything...
  • Options
    sad05saturnsad05saturn Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe that no one know how to fix this problem. I have had my starter replaced and numerous batteries. I have to sit in the car for almost 30 mins sometimes just to get my key out of the ignition. This is so aggravating!! Last night all the lights would turn on, I got a jump and the car would not start at all and I had to get towed home at 1:00 AM. Someone help please!
  • Options
    oblio9oblio9 Member Posts: 19
    Cut the white wire. http://youtu.be/ww5AGhFWcBw
  • Options
    recallgmrecallgm Member Posts: 1
    well I had the same problem with my 2006 Ion and finally broke down and took it to a GM dealership which was a rip off!! Anyways, what needs to be replaced is the ignition itself and it cost me $259 which I am sure you can have it done somewhere else cheaper. No need to replace the battery specially if all your lights, radio etc. are working that is a clear indication that the battery is good and it's not the starter so don't replace that. Not to sure on the white wire thing either I would just get it done correctly and I don't recommend taking it to a GM dealer either at $100 per hour rate +. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    So it wont start sometimes and when it wont start the security light is on solid or flashing?Also the key wont turn off it will only go to the acc position and stop there and eventually turns off?You have two seperate issue for the starting issue if the security light is on solid or flashing.I would replace the ingition switch if your handy with tools you do it yourself you just have to relearn the pass lock sensor.As far as the key not turning off intermintantly that is most likely the micro switch at the base of the shifter.If you play with the shifter button will that help the key turn off?I have the part number for the miro switch it comes with the shift indicator light and shift interlock solenoid there all wired together.I also know where to order the part from.I can get you install instructions as well.What year is the ion?Its a automatic transmission correct?
  • Options
    jessicas1jessicas1 Member Posts: 13
    I just found this discussion board this morning. I too have fallen victim to the Saturn Ion's starting problems. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion, and I love it (kind of like you would love a needy and demanding brother). Any way, my problems began about 6 months ago with my car not starting in the mornings. Like others have said, I have to wait awhile (usually about a half an hour) and it will start right up, but I am getting sick of being late and delayed because of this. While many of you have mentioned that the problem is because of the cold weather, I live in FLORIDA! It rarely gets below 50 degrees so it's not really a cold start issue, but it does occur 99% of the time in the morning. I too have spent hundreds of dollars on a new battery, new sensor (don't even know what that was), and other things. So, after spending about an hour reading these posts, I have come to this decision: I will first try to replace the ignition relay switch. If that doesn't work I will probably install a remote start system. While these are two of the more costly options, I am not really comfortable cutting the white wire just because I can't stand having a check engine light on, plus it will probably make it a little more difficult to sell later. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your suggestions! This has been tremendously helpful!
  • Options
    dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    Plus if you have a smog check in your area in Fl. you'll flunk the visual check immediately with that check engine light on.
    Feel the same way about my 05: crackpot relative that needs to be understood.
    But it still doesn't stop me from being pissed off when it happens. Should it happen again: remote start system going in. Too costly to trade.
  • Options
    ghillyer22ghillyer22 Member Posts: 4
    Read my earlier post from like january 9th or so.... I promise if you a remote start that bypasses manufacturer alarm it WiLL fix the problem every time. It only cost me $200 and in long run its worth it. By getting this it has started in negative degree weather with no problem. Remote start is the way to go- ignition switch won't do anything I promise and cutting white wire will make a light come on.
  • Options
    ghillyer22ghillyer22 Member Posts: 4
    Read my earlier post from like january 9th or so.... I promise if you a remote start that bypasses manufacturer alarm it WiLL fix the problem every time. It only cost me $200 and in long run its worth it. By getting this it has started in negative degree weather with no problem. Remote start is the way to go- ignition switch won't do anything I promise and cutting white wire will make a light come on.
  • Options
    Have you tried replacing the ignition relay switch? Did it work?
  • Options
    gray_huntergray_hunter Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have exactly that problem with the key intermittently not releasing. The car basically thinks it's in gear when it's in park. I jiggle the shifter and eventually the key releases. Could you send me the part number, where to get it and how to replace it? I'd really appreciate it!

I have a 2004 ION-2, 4 door automatic.
  • Options
    pamela519pamela519 Member Posts: 62
    I have had the same problem and I live in southern california.. My no starting started in the summer of 2009 and at that time it was 12 minutes later it would start up. Eventually it became 20 then 30, sometimes up to an hr. I would go out and start the car 30 minutes b/f I had to leave for work to make sure I was not late. after 2 years of this intermittent problem, last May it finally would not start at all. Same as you, new battery, new starter. it drove for 1 week and the key has been stuck ever since. No amount of jiggling will get it out. My next move was going to be the ignition relay switch as well, but now we have the key being stuck to deal with and I am in no position to spend $ I don't have... I need to renew my AAA and get it towed to my daughter's friend who knows cars. I am so over my Saturn and wish it would just run so I can sell it or trade it in. GM was next to no help. the ladies on here were very nice as was the 1st person they put me in touch with. Eventually a supervisor got involved and told me too bad. you are out of warranty and doesn't matter the problem started way b/f I ran out of warranty and never mind they were are over 900 messages posted, they know about the problem, but refuse to do a recall. GM sucks and I will not be buying another GM vehicle.
  • Options
    I feel for you and everyone else with these horrible cars. Mine hasn't been as bad as yours but it is now happening more frequently and taking longer to start. It doesn't seem to matter what type of weather. Mine even wouldn't start sitting on the 8th level a garage, out of the elements. It is craziness. I have really low mileage on it but am going to get rid of it. Like you and many others, I have been late for work and have had to take cabs... more money out the window.

Good luck.
  • Options
    sgb2003sgb2003 Member Posts: 44
    Mine hasn't started at all, so I can't even take it anywhere unless I get it towed. I haven't tried starting it over 30 min or so for fear I might run the battery down completely or burn the starter motor, but I have tried several times over multiple days, and in a reasonably warm garage.

The white wire solution, does it work only with a running car? That's what the youtube video seems to imply.
  • Options
    There is a difference between the ignition switch and the ignition relay switch. After reading some of the posts on here, I think that we are supposed to replace the ignition switch and NOT the relay switch. I just went to an auto parts store. The ignition relay switch is a little black box that has prongs sticking out of it and is $10.99, but I think the one we need is the ignition switch which I had to order for $25.99. I'll let you know if that works!
  • Options
    Hello saturntech9. Are we supposed to replace the ignition switch or the ignition relay switch? They are two different things and there are referencees to both on this site. Thanks!
  • Options
    You want to replace the ignition switch not the relay replacing the switch has been the number one fix for the no start issue.
  • Options
    mdg920mdg920 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2004 Saturn Ion 3 and guess what? Starting problems the last two mornings! Will installing a remote starter fix this issue?
  • Options
    Yep, I took the ignition relay switch back and got the "Ignition Switch", Echlin part # KS7138. I have yet to put it in yet. It's been snowing/raining here and I dont' have a garage :-( But it looks fairly simple. The YouTube video sure is a help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OunajQtX6wU&list=UUiV6OFyiAsXvZgsjjUMtcOw&index=1- 0&feature=plcp
  • Options
    Just replace the ignition switch its a lot easier and cheaper and will fix the problem.
  • Options
    Well, after a little drama at the auto shop, I will spare you the details, I now have a new ignition switch. We'll see if this works! If it doesn't, you will hear from me again! I will try to remember to follow up in a week or so to let you know if this worked!
  • Options
    pmsull1pmsull1 Member Posts: 6
    Oh, please share the drama. It really helps to explain the total frustration we have to experience as a result of GM's poor engineering.
    I replaced my ignition switch about 3 months ago...no probs since...hope yours works as well:)
  • Options
    Can you tell me about how much it cost to have the ignition switch replaced?

Thanks
  • Options
    mdg0920mdg0920 Member Posts: 1
    $56 at AutoZone. Future son-in-law and I replaced it in about 40 minutes (30 minutes being the reprogramming of the key). Check the 7 part YouTube video for easy step-by-step instructions.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Umm, I mean to have it done by someone else. I wouldn't even begin to think I could do it. But thanks.
  • Options
    Hey Behn Zarecky... Did you fix Michelas car yet?
  • Options
    pmsull1pmsull1 Member Posts: 6
    I paid my local mechanic 125.00 total to replace the switch and relearn the computer. about 1 hr total time.
  • Options
    etofmaineetofmaine Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    I am currently purchasing a 03 Saturn Ion, Standard, Cruise, 6 CD player and the lot..... The vehicle was owned by a GM employee and was maintained by GM dealership. Assuming that if they had an ignition cylinder issue it has been dealt with along with most other issues over the years. However I did notice excessive wear on the key itself. [new keys coming with purchase btw] On that note, I found that with the excessive wear it would sometimes not open the vehicle doors or trunk compartment. Not sure if any of you have noticed any excessive wear on your keys but those particles would most likely end up in the locking devices such as ignition switches [most used] . Maybe compressed air could clean out particles causing jams [prior to problem if your noticing excessive wear]. If the key is having issues with other locks on the vehicle it is probably time for a new key before it becomes entrapped in the ignition switch. I have priced Keys from duplication for $3 to made by VIN for $25. By VIN is more accurate way to make new key if yours is badly worn as duplication only copies any wear.

Food for thought!
  • Options
    etofmaineetofmaine Member Posts: 9
    Read post #248 and several following it
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1137a7/246!keywords=allin:msgte- xt%20limit%3A.f1137a7%206%20CD#MSG246
  • Options
    The ignition switch itself cost me $25.99 and the installation was $90 at a shop. It took them a long time to do though because they had trouble resetting the security system, but it all seems to be working okay so far!
  • Options
    You cant just blow out the brass filing from the key and tumblars the they have to be removed dissambled cleaned with brake clean and lubed with dry graphite.