Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• mojo22mojo22 Member Posts: 5
    Don't do it!

Don't expect any help from GM or anyone if the car goes nuts. I tried to get help from them and all they wanted to do was schedule me for an appointment. I asked her, "How the hell can I schedule an appointment and get the car in if it won't start?' She couldn't answer the question.

Never again for a Saturn or GM product. GM= Great Mistakes
  • brava58brava58 Member Posts: 27
    I'm now thinking that replacing the ignition switch won't do anything in the long run. If you go back and read the messages on here there are many people who replaced these switches not once but some twice or more. The same problem kept happening. I was hoping for it to be the answer, and not the "cut the white wire rant" but I don't think this is it either. :cry:
  • adam271976adam271976 Member Posts: 10
    To all that own a saturn.....especially ions. I have something to say........get rid of it if you can!! I too have had ignition switch issues and had it replaced at the dealer and it worked fine however......around thanksgiving when a friend and i were doing a oil change, i noticed underneath the car that after owning this piece of junk for 8 years,my fuel lines were rusting out and leaking gas behind the back left tire and in the same area i had a whole in my exhaust. I considered it a hazard cause if the fumes were anywhere near the gas leak i wouldnt be here talking to you now. Anyways the dealer said it would be $900 for new exhaust since the whole exhaust was rusted out and about the same for fuel lines which all had to be done this month to pass inspection!! The car is a piece of junk!!!!! So i bought myself a "non gm-non american car". I bought a 2012 hyundai accent which i love and am now trouble free of the ever unpopular faulty ignition switch saturn car!! Just my two cents..........adam
  • adam271976adam271976 Member Posts: 10
    Oh by the way, i got $1900 for it and it was according to kelly blue book worth $600.....so i guess gm helped me after all.........thanks gm........lmao
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    If your exhaust and fuel lines got rusted out then you live where it snows and they put salt down to melt the snow and ice.When you add salt to water in high amounts they do when they do this it makes salt water.Which is highly corrossive to metal which destroys brake rotors drums exhaust metal fuel line metal body panels etc.Its not the cars fault its the harsh enviroment you live in with the salt and snow on the road.I worked for the saturn dealers for over 16yrs fixing the cars.Most of the time in southern california which i never saw those issues.I did spend a few years working at the saturn dealer in upstate new york which i saw the rusted out issues like you talking about.People up there liked the saturns because of the plastic body panels that didnt rust out like the metal ones.Just thought i would share that with you keep your new car long enough where you live and you will what iam talking about with the salt and snow.I would atleast get the car a under coating treatment.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited January 2012
    >bought a 2012 hyundai accent which i love and am now trouble free

You should be in the Hyundai forums telling them how wonderful their chosen cars are? Why are you posting here--you said you're done with the Saturn? Why drag it on?

Actually, in re the corrosion, my GM owners manuals recommend washing off the underside the car at the end of the winter salt season IIRC.

I personally take mine to the do-it-yourself car wash when the weather breaks and I spend my minutes spraying the underside instead of the pretty part. I do that 3-4 times during our winter. Then in the spring I use my garden hose to spray the underside. If there's a rainy period that washes the salt off the roads, I drive my cars during a rain to spray the undersides with fresh water to rinse down salts.

I wash the underside rinsing off the salt that throws up on the parts, including the brake lines and gas lines if they are metal, and corrodes them. I personally believe the brine solution that is pre-sprayed onto roads here in Ohio are more corrosive than the mixed salts granules they use.

So some preventative maintenance would have helped your car. I would do that with the Hyundai. Hyundai had major problems with their Accents in the past and that's part of the reason they came out with the non-transferrable 100,000 mi/10 yr warranty. So the warranty won't change the used value of the cars in reality because the next owner dun't get the warranty!

Report back to us in 10 years and let us know how you're doing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That tends to happen when the conversation turns to personally-directed comments.

Make remarks about posts, not about other members.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrh562008mrh562008 Member Posts: 6
    yes the ignition relay switch is the cube that goes into your fuse box... i didnt buy a new one but i did go to my local dealership and the parts guy was really nice, he offered to switch one of the relays that arent so often used but we knew worked (he switched the rear defrost with it, saved me $10 bucks lol) with the ignition relay. it worked for a week or so then same problems again... ive taken it to our machanic and left it for a week or so and of course it didnt act up once while it was there, go figure!! i think im going to try the remote start and see how that works for me, i guess im pretty lucky that i have a back up vehicle for the moment... its just very frustrationg!!!! :mad:
    I would just replace the ignition switch that is the number one fix for that random no start.I have replaced so many of those ignition switches for random no starts i have lost count.That switch was redisgned 3 or 4 times for that random no start issue.There is even a bulletin saturn has out for it to replace the ignition switch.
    i bought my ion jan. 1, 2011, when i got mine i had no troubles with it, until november... dun dun dahhh! the problems didnt start til until the original 7 year old battery died... i replaced the battery after having it tested and confirmed... first bit of money put into the car, a week after i got the battery put in the car wouldnt start... @ 230 in the morning i cranked it 3 times the 3rd time it started but immediatley stalled on me, i had a friend of mine jump me and it immediatley started... i thought it was the battery so i took it back to have it checked they said it was fine... i have been having problems with it ever since it would sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks just fine but as soon as the cold hit again the car didnt want to start.

it was weird most of the time cuz i would try it but then go back out around mid day and it would start just fine.... so i started looking on here and saw ppl were saying the ignition relay which i had one of the parts guys at the dealership look at it and he showed me a free way to c if it was the problem by switching it with the defrost relay. that didnt work :cry: as ive been reading i think that im going to try the remote start it seems to be having alot of sucess and i think i can live with spending $200 on that, ive always wanted one especially if it helps to make my "lil blue" start.

sad the main reason i wanted that car was cuz i thought it was a gorgeous blue.... now im thinking the 1999 ford taurus would have been a better option!!! I love my car when it runs for me but its just so frustrating when it has this problem, also key does get stuck occasionaly but i use the spare now that has alot less wear on it
    i just dont understand if so many ppl r having the same problem that there is a bulletin... y wldnt there b a recall???? i understand the the igntion switch is probably the problem but it would cost almost the same to replace the the ignition switch as it would to just do a good upgrade on the car and fix the problem... im not sure what im gona do yet but somethings got to give the last 3 mornings ive gone to start the car it wouldnt start and i dont have the time to fiddle with it.... just a good thing that i have a back up vehicle for the moment that is actually reliable! lol
  • jessicas1jessicas1 Member Posts: 13
    You have to get the ignition switch NOT the ignition relay switch. I was confused at first too, but it is the ignition switch. They are two different things. If you got the thing that looks like a little black cube, you got the wrong part. I changed my ignition switch 2 weeks ago and have had absolutely no problems since!
    So, I promised you all an update. I had my ignition switch replaced two weeks ago, and I have not had one single starting problem since!! I used to have starting problems at least 1-2 times a week so this is a direct result of replacing this switch. The part cost $25.99 at Advanced Auto Parts and $90 for the installation. Totally worth the $$$. Please try this first before some of the other suggestions!
    I don't know how long it will last, but my car has started great for the past 2 weeks since I replaced the ignition switch. I figure, if replacing it will buy me at least a few more months, it's still cheaper than a new car payment!
    Try the ignition switch NOT the ignition relay switch.
    Because a recall is usually done because the problem has been determined as a safety hazzard and the problem is wide spread.If it was dieing while driving that could be determined as a safety hazzard.But since its a starting issue then it gets a bulletin not a recall.Its a easy install the switch can be bought for 25.you only need basic tools if you want to put it in let me know and i will give you directions on how to replace it.
    Are the problematic ignition switches in the Saturn related to the ignition switches in the Cobalts? Is a Cobalt prone to having a finicky ignition switch?

That's just it... how long will it last. It seems there are several messages from people who have replaced this several times.

It will be great if it lasts a really long time. But I would always wonder every time I got inot my car... this could be the time it doesn't start.

I had my first one change 6 months after I bought my car, new. Then 4 yrs later I have the starting problem. Haven't changed it again yet.
    well spoke to my local mechanic and hes been looking for an ignition switch for me but cant find one..... only choice now is the remote start... hope and pray it works! otherwise i have no clue where to go next w it
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    Those ignitions switches were used in Cobalts, G5s, HHRs, and Colorado/Canyon trucks. You can walk into a local NAPA and get one.
    Something is wrong with your mechanic if he can't find an ignition switch for a generic GM compact. It's not an S Series that shared no parts with other GM cars. He's telling you BS.
    This can't be a difficult part to get. That makes absolutely no sense.
  • traciejotraciejo Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2012
    To those who are trying to replace the ignition without any results or if that option has failed, if you find the discussion about cutting the white wire you will have your fix. I cut that wire over a month ago and my car starts every time now and if you are worried about the security light being on when it comes time to DQ it the wire can be spliced back together for that. at the top of the page there is a search box if you type in "CUT THE WHITE WIRE" that discussion willcome up it was easy and cost nothing.
    Cut the white wire. http://youtu.be/ww5AGhFWcBw
  • traciejotraciejo Member Posts: 6
    Cut the white wire. http://youtu.be/ww5AGhFWcBw
    Everyone has those switches auto zone ebay amazon there not hard to find.Do you need a part number?Sounds like you need to find another person to fix your car if he cant find a simple part.
    Yeah, it sounds like your mechanic may be confused. I just went to Advanced Auto Parts and got the part myself. They can look it up in the computer. They did have to order it for me because it wasn't in stock, and it is not a manufacturer part, it was a generic part from NAPA or something, but it has worked perfect for a few weeks now!
  • sd46916sd46916 Member Posts: 7
    Ditto, I got mine at AutoZone.
  • mssaturn82mssaturn82 Member Posts: 1
    Hello my new found buddy. I am taking your advice, I don't know you but I trust you and thanks in advance no matter my outcome. I have purchased the part but I am asking for you to send me the instructions please. My brother will be assisting me with this. I am so tired of taking the battery post off for 5 minutes and waiting an additional 15 minutes to go. I have children with asthma and this is unacceptable and need to be fixed asap.Thanks again.
  • kreutzerpkreutzerp Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I have replaced the ignition switch and attempted resetting the pass-lock but to no avail. I placed my old ignition switch back in and attempted to start the vehicle but this also did not work. I attempted to reset the passlock on the old one as well, and then the new one as well. I followed the procedures listed on MoonTaj (which are right according to many sites). I wish I had cut the wire, but can't now because I cannot start the car.

Any recommendations? Buy another ignition switch and try to reset the pass-lock with that one?

I have the correct part (as listed in multiple previous posts).

My procedure is: install new switch, turn key off, plug in, attempt to start, wait 10 minutes on run then light goes off, turn off for 5 seconds, attempt to start - do this 3 times and on the third turn car off for 30 seconds, attempt to start, turn key to on position, does not start, when key goes back to run position engine turns once but does not start and no pass-lock light. Attempt to start again and again and nothing but when key goes back to run engine turns once. Strange huh?

Any help greatly appreciated.
  • ghillyer22ghillyer22 Member Posts: 4
    All those replacing the ignition switch and thinking its a fix only to find out later that its not: save yourself the trouble, go to best buy and spend the extra money to get a remote start installed that bypasses it. From someone who tried the ignition switch thing and replaced so many things trying to fix the problem this 100% will fix your problem for good. Message me if you want more details on this but since I installed the remote start a year and a half ago my saturn ion starts every single time with no problem even in crazy cold temps. Sooooo worth the money I spent.
  • notcrankyionnotcrankyion Member Posts: 9
    Hello fellow ION owners! It has been a few months since I posted here, but that is just because I have had no new issues! I was dubious, but the "GM Authorized Saturn Service Center" at the Chevy dealer installed the new ignition switch (NOT the relay, the switch itself) back in what, November? We've even had some winterish type weather with some snow and below freezing temps, but no problems at all. My local mechanic still does my oil changes and inspections and he was incredulous when I came back for inspection of my 2003 ION this month. The last time he saw me was when my key wouldn't come out of the new ignition cylinder they had installed - and that was when they FINALLY had the issue of the no crank/no start that I'd been having on and off for the past 3 years. I know this is a VERY frustrating problem - it happened to me more than once just after I picked up my two kids from daycare and we all just wanted to go home and have dinner. BUT it is the only thing I have had trouble with other than the normal wear-and-tear stuff like shocks, tires, the recall for the heater/fan, and oil changes. I'll have this car 9 years in a couple of weeks and I have less than 70k miles on it, so it's been a reliable commuter car for me. OK, enough rambling from me. Have the ignition swich checked (the dealer told me that mine was sending the wrong voltage to the passkey so that caused the anti-theft 'stall' to go into effect) and replaced if necessary. Cut the wire if you have to. GOOD LUCK!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm very glad to hear that you were able to work with your dealership and find a fix for this! Many more happy miles with your Ion!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi,
    Read your message about remote starter. Can you tell me what you do after you start the car and then get in? How does it work? As far as the key in the ignition? Sorry, I have not idea about this stuff.

thanks
    Did your dealer tell you why the voltage was wrong or how to correct the voltage? I am guessing the voltage was wrong because poor connection in the ignition switch...
    I will put in a remote starter, but first I must solve the immediate problem I am having which is difficulty reprogramming the pass-lock. Do you know if the procedure as I listed before is extremely time sensitive (exactly 5 seconds off, etc.) or just ballpark (5-10 seconds)? Also, do you think I must first be able to reset the pass-lock before installing a remote starter?
    Did you follow saturntech9's procedure? As I read it, it's going to take about 30 minutes because of the 3 ten-minute waits for the system to cycle the program.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1137a7/674#MSG674

Give me your email address and i will email you all the info you need.
  • speedyssspeedyss Member Posts: 1
    Could you please send me this info also? Krace37@gmail.com thanks
  • pamela519pamela519 Member Posts: 62
    Please send it to me as well. I know at some point someone did, but I know longer have it. My key is now stuck in the ignition and I can't get it out. it is stuck between on and off. I'm sure my battery (the new battery they told me I needed 6 months ago) is long gone. Hopefully, the starter, which they also told me I needed is still okay. My car worked for less than a week before the key got stuck. thanks. My email address is pamela.fryer@gmail.com
  • jillmckenijillmckeni Member Posts: 2
    Please help. I would like to know on what to ask when I go to Best Buy to purchase the remote starter. How much is the cost of labor and parts?

I reside in LA, have a 2005 Saturn Ion, the starting problem is about 3x a week, used to wait for 10 minutes and car would start but on Friday, 2/17, it did not start for 1 hour. Same thing happened this morning, 2/20.

I changed battery last October, and brought it to mechanic but they can't find anything wrong with it. Please advise on what to do. Thanks for your help.
  • jillmckenijillmckeni Member Posts: 2
    Please help. I would like to know on what to ask when I go to Best Buy to purchase the remote starter. How much is the cost of labor and parts?

I reside in LA, have a 2005 Saturn Ion, the starting problem is about 3x a week, used to be for 10 minutes wait time and car would start but it on Friday, 2/17, it did not start for 1 hour. Same thing happened this morning.

I changed battery last October, and brought it to mechanic but they can't find anything wrong with it. Please advise on what to do. Thanks for your help.
    If it was my car i would just replace the ignition switch the switch is cheap and easy to replace it.
    i emailed you the info.
    I sent you the info also but when the ignition switches go bad they cause no starts not issues with the key not turning off.So is the key stuck in the acc position?If so then the two most likely causes for that are bad battery or dead battery.Also the micro switch at the base of the shifter that keeps you from turning the key off in any position other then park. it fails and wont let you turn the key off.I have replaced many of them for that i know where to get the switches and the part number.
  • pamela519pamela519 Member Posts: 62
    the ignition relay switch is what I was told with the problem when it first began almost 3 years ago. instead they replaced the battery, the starter and after that it worked for a whole week. then on the 8th day I got in and turned the car on, but it did not turn on. the key is stuck 1/2 way between on and off. All I want to do is get this thing running and get rid of it. I had the start no start problem for 2 years. first it was 12 minutes to the minute and then it would start. then 20, sometimes as long as an hour. then one day after 2 hours had gone by I got it towed. that was during the summer. and then the rest as I described above. so you think it's not the ignition relay switch, please tell me the part, the part number and where to get them. thanks. same email. pamela.fryer@gmail.com
  • candace80candace80 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Ion that is having problems starting intermittently. It's not cold here, I live in the desert. It usually starts fine in the morning (not like others have mentioned) but will sometimes not start again if I stop somewhere. Happened today when I stopped for gas, started fine in the morning then wouldn't start after getting gas. The radio and lights work but it's almost like the battery is dead and won't start. The alternator is new I know it's not that. If I jump it it works just fine for several days. Any idea what this could be?
    It sounds like a bad ignition switch when it wont start is the security light on solid or flashing?If so its probably a bad ignition switch.The switches are pretty cheap and easy to change.
  • candace80candace80 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't noticed any lights on the dash when it happens. Is it still likely to be a bad ignition switch?
    From what you describe it sounds like a bad ignition switch i have replaced tons of those switches for no starts.Thats the number one fix for random no starts on those cars.Next time it doesnt start see if the security light is on solid or flashing.The switches are 30 or less and easy to install.
  • ajcrickajcrick Member Posts: 10
    We have put in a new starter, ignition switch and relearn procedure the batteries good but still wont start, lights etc. work but nothing! tested all the fuses,It wont even shift to neutral, so must be locked out? Any suggestions? Faulthy bcm? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • kikibkikib Member Posts: 14
    yes, I would say the bcm....