Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    "they are the perfect minivan replacements" to replace other GM minivans... ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Car & Driver put the TSX on their 10Best list, but then the VW Jetta beat it in a head-to-head comparo. It happens.

Plus the price issue with the Outlook having lower MSRP, as you mentioned.

I like that Edmunds can at least compare the TMV.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    No new Mercedes in the comparo, but you're right about the X5.
    I really can't think of any real SUVs that will be in the test, only crossovers like the CR-V and new Vue. This could be interesting.
    "they are the perfect minivan replacements" to replace other GM minivans...

Let's be real now- anything could replace those minivans, even a Ford Freestyle! :P

Really, I think if those vans didn't have sliding doors they would be called crossovers! I am glad GM has gotten its act together and isn't trying to slap bulky noses on 10 year old vehicles and pass them off as new anymore. Hey- Ford sort of did that with the 500/Taurus.
    That's a stretch, no?

I realize they were based on the Volvo P2 platform, but they were still mostly new.
  • kbedwardskbedwards Member Posts: 41
    Just bought an 08 GT CX-9 after narrowing my choices down to that or an Acura MDX.

Ability to seat 7 was a requirement in my CUV/SUV search.

I really liked the way the Acura drove, it was very quick relative to its size. Interior quality was very good, and of course their nav, though not as good as it used to be, is still class leading.

I had been considering Volvo XC90 but after reading so many negative posts about them, decided that the feedback was consistent enough to make me delete it from my short list. Also no review or road test ever picked it when comparing against others. Seemed to be "just ok", nothing special.

Anyway, just a quick review of CX-9 after having it for a weekend:

PROS:

Price (although very $$ for a Mazda if you get a GT with most options), relative to Acura, probably a few thousand less, so it wasn't THAT big of a difference.

Looks - hated the grill of the Acura enough for me to think it would probably always bother me, didn't mind the lines, but definitely like the overall sleek look of the CX-9 better.

Gadgets: wow...I am a tech geek and am almost overwhelmed with all the nice goodies. Bluetooth, keycard which knows who is driving and adjusts seat accordingly, rear view camera (option to have a rear camera LCD show up in th rear view mirror), voice nav, adjustable Xenon lights, etc. I love it all!

Driving: LOVE the way it handles (like a car) and it has plenty of power when you need it. They added a few horses for the 08 model (though Acura still has more, and it is noticeable if you are paying attention)

CONS:

Price: for a Mazda, quite pricey - the GT with the 2 "big options" is well in the MDX range, if not more, so if brand name is impt. to you you can probably get one of the historically "luxury" SUV's (Volvo, Acura maybe some others) in roughly the same price range.

LOOKS: Too much chrome! I'm not 17 danggit! And worse, if you get the high end model (GT), that adds MORE chrome. Sheesh. Tacky, imo, but that is subjective. I got the Liquid Platinum color solely because it kind of cancels out the contrast of the chrome, so it's not bad at all on mine. Interior is ok to good, but some plasticky materials (like int. door handles of all things) are surprisingly cheap feeling. Leather itself is VERY well done - in line with Acura imo. layout of console is not as cluttered or dense as the Acura, but it could stand some improvement - overall ok though. Floor mats very cheap - should have gotten the upgraded ones. I should say the driver side and passenger side seats are by far the best car seats I have ever been in. They truly rock, and you just have to go sit in them to see what I mean.

Gadgets:

Nav looks like its 10 years old...compared to even the last gen Garmin auto GPS, this thing just looks bad. Low res, horrible text, just needs a major design update. It's a Denso system, and I have heard good things about the actual navigation (it uses Navteq maps), but at least in terms of "look" it's way down there. Lots of complaints online about voice recognition of NAV, but it worked fine for me.

Bose 11 speaker surround system (I got the rear ent. package which upgrades the audio system) . Well, it's Bose, what can you say. I had an open mind about it until I heard it, but in the end, it dissapoints HORRIBLY in the sound quality dept., esp considering price. Perhaps the most overpriced auto speaker system in existence. Still, I had no choice, so not much I can do about that. Soo many better brands out there than Bose, for so much less $$$, just don't understand.

Driving: Only con in this category is it could STILL use a few more HP's, or at least a quicker startup to match the Acura. Gas mileage could def be better, but some have reported getting better mileage than what Mazda states.

Overall, very happy with the purchase. I just can't wait to get past 500 miles so I can start "punching" the throttle! :)
    First off, congrats. :shades:

What did you like less about the MDX' nav? It's no longer touch-screen, correct?

I also found the resolution on the Mazda screen only so-so. The night time image could be brigther, too.

I hate chrome as well, so I'm with you on that comment.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Bose 11 speaker surround system (I got the rear ent. package which upgrades the audio system) . Well, it's Bose, what can you say. I had an open mind about it until I heard it, but in the end, it dissapoints HORRIBLY in the sound quality dept., esp considering price. Perhaps the most overpriced auto speaker system in existence. Still, I had no choice, so not much I can do about that. Soo many better brands out there than Bose, for so much less $$$, just don't understand.

I haven't heard the system in the CX-9 myself but the BOSE system in my former Mazda6 bit it hard too. No base and the highs all mixed together at higher volumes. Totally not worth the money.

I wonder why Mazda isn't using the nav that Ford uses in a lot of it's vehicles which is made by Pioneer. It's not flashy or does anything special but it has been praised for it's ease of use and functionality. I had the dis-pleasure of riding in a friend's TrailBlazer for a weekend trip. It had the GM (probably older since it was an '04 or '05) nav system. Man was that thing a piece of junk. Trying to find something on the screen or type in a name with the little joystick, which was way too low on the dasy BTW, was a nightmare. Plus it had a very small screen which was situated at knee level. I hope they've improved on that item in their new models like the Acadia.
    I saw that Lincoln won an award for ease of use for their system, so perhaps Mazda should consider using that supplier. Wonder if it's the same one you refer to.
    I think one of the best sound systems I've heard was the Infinity sound system they (used to?) put in Chrysler vehicles. I think that was even better than the Markk Levinson systems in Lexus. Can't say Chrysler Navi screens are great, as they have faults like the tiny one they had in the old vans, and the one next to the odometer in the Pacifica (?!). Then again,The ones in the new vans and Sebring are huge improvements, and don't hurt resale value like some on pricier models.
    Bose is just terrible.
    "What did you like less about the MDX' nav? It's no longer touch-screen, correct?"

Well, it's not really me not liking it less, you can read almost anywhere people complaining that Acura took a big step backward from their previous touchscreen nav systems to this one with the dial/joystick.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    as there is nothing else in the class like it (besides the other two lambda siblings

Short of 2 cu.ft of trunk space and 14-16 cu.ft of cargo volume, the CX-9 does a very good job of competing against the lambdas.

I'll have to disagree on the interior, as the VC and the CX-9 interiors seemed more refined.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Short of 2 cu.ft of trunk space and 14-16 cu.ft of cargo volume, the CX-9 does a very good job of competing against the lambdas.

Until it comes time to have people in the second and third rows at the same time, then the Lambda's kick it's behind, IMHO.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Isn't the point of buying such a large vehicle to have people in all the rows? If not, something like a CR-V would do.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Isn't the point of buying such a large vehicle to have people in all the rows?

Nah, it appears to me that many people are buying the Acadia because it's big. Plain and simple. They don't really need all the room, but in case of doubt, go bigger, and the Acadia fits the bill. Those who are truly serious about filling a third row on a daily basis will likely opt for a minivan, because afterall it is much more convenient to get in and out, and does make better use of space, imo.

With that said, I only have 2 kids, and really don't need the roominess of the Acadia...yet there's something in the back of my mind that says, "isn't more room better?"
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Size does matter.

Way off- the Lambdas are only 1 inch longer than the CX9 yet have 18cuft more cargo space. The Toyota Highlander has only 5 cuft less than the CX9, yet it's a foot shorter, so CX9 loses some ututility in that one. Plus you have to remember that if you have 6 others riding with you there is no way you will be as comfortable in any othe CUV competitor.

And the interiors are just as nice in my oppinion as the Vera Cruz and definitely nicer than the CX9. The CX9 gives up some space and utility for trend, something of which I think it has a little too much to be tasteful. But the less rugged Outlook and Enclave Lambda counterparts have interirs that compete well with any competitor.

People who buy Lambdas just want big vehicles even though they don't need the space? If that was the case, minivans wouldn't be the success (even if it is dwindling) they are today.

My point in the SUV of the Year Award discussion is what other new SUV is so signifigcant? THe Vera Cruz, though a nice step up for Hyundai, is nothing new. They'd even admit they copy Lexus (a 4-5 year old design). The Highlander? They didn't really redesign it- only a facelift to their toy truck looking design. The CX9 is my second choice, but it gives up too much utility for designs that I don't think look better than GM's crossovers. In fact, I have to say the Acadia looks better than anything elss on the list. But I know we can't really judge by looks.
    Until it comes time to have people in the second and third rows at the same time, then the Lambda's kick it's behind, IMHO.

You'll have more legroom in the FS.
    Subjective opinions about the interior aside, the materials used on the dash cover for the lambdas (Enclave included) are much harder to the touch than the ones found in the CX-9.

And the steering wheels on the lambdas was a let down from the overall package. Even a Ford Focus has a thicker steering wheel.

I agree that the Acadias look more harmonious on the outside than the competition, but back to the interior's discussion, what about those three giant chrome vents atop the dash? :-)

I also agree that some of the CX-9 compromises are odd for this class of vehicle (no sunroof with rear DVD, when the lambdas offer *dual* sunroof/moonroof).

Realistically, lambda's cannot carry three adults back there, maybe three kids, but how many people will actually carry 7 passengers around with only 17-19 cu.ft of trunk space? That is a little more than a suitcase for each person.
    Realistically, lambda's cannot carry three adults back there, maybe three kids, but how many people will actually carry 7 passengers around with only 17-19 cu.ft of trunk space? That is a little more than a suitcase for each person.

Depends on how much luggage you need for a drive across town for dinner! :)

Just kidding, but in my family's case, we used to have an Odyssey minivan. We never took more than 4 people on trips in it, but routinely picked up all the grandparents and went places as a family within the metro area. Cargo room didn't really matter for day-trips, which are what we took much more often than the long-haul trips for which you need to pack a bag. For people like us, a Lambda would be fine. We didn't get an SUV though; a minivan was much more practical.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Maybe, but then I'd be stuck driving a Free(from)style.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    the materials used on the dash cover for the lambdas (Enclave included) are much harder to the touch than the ones found in the CX-9.

Do you find yourself stroking your dash often?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Maybe, but then I'd be stuck driving a Free(from)style.

Not all of us can make correct decisions all the time. :P

Only if I buy it dinner first! :P ;) lol

Only when detailing the vehicle, but there is usually a piece of cloth between my hand and the dash.

Now seriously, it is the same material used on the steering wheel cover as well, and the visual effect is less than pleasing when you are paying nearly $40K for a loaded XR model.
    I saw that Lincoln won an award for ease of use for their system, so perhaps Mazda should consider using that supplier. Wonder if it's the same one you refer to.

I'm not sure. Ford was also using a Delphi unit in the models that didn't get the Pioneer unit so I'm not sure which one went where. I know the newer units are pretty much all Pioneer models now and my guess would be that Lincoln got those first.

Since the CX-9 is built in Japan it may be cost prohibitive to supply the Pioneer units to the factory or to install them when the vehicles hit our shores.
  • chuckhoychuckhoy Member Posts: 420
    Subjective opinions about the interior aside, the materials used on the dash cover for the lambdas (Enclave included) are much harder to the touch than the ones found in the CX-9.

Am I the only one who almost never caresses my dashboard? I fail to see how this matters one bit. Personally, I like a dash cover that is smooth and hardish so it is easier to clean.

And the steering wheels on the lambdas was a let down from the overall package. Even a Ford Focus has a thicker steering wheel.

I agree completely. It is the one gripe about my Outlook that I have. It is not just thickness but diameter that is a problem. I can't comfortably rest my arms on the armrests and hold onto the wheel at the same time. It is disappointing. But, if that is the biggest issue I have with it I consider myself lucky.

I took 4 adults and 3 children on a 1300 mile round trip vacation and there was plenty of space as long as everyone did not bring everything they own. I pack light, so this was not a problem for me.
    We are still making fun of the dash, but again, it is the same material found at the center of the steering wheel cover. The point is it doesn't look as rich as the rest of the materials in the cabin, which takes away from the overall sense of, well, richness. In the Outlook, it is a nuisance; in the would-be Lexus-fighter Enclave, it is unforgivable.

Personally, I like a dash cover that is smooth and hardish so it is easier to clean.

Why do you care about it being smooth easier to clean if you never touch or look at it anyway? Just keep your eyes always on the road and blow away any eventual dust during the leg stretching stops. :-)

I still think that the VC will win the title, but coming from MT, that's no big honor at all.
    Plus there's the roof rack if you need extra luggage space.
    Personally, I like a dash cover that is smooth and hardish so it is easier to clean.

Whatever floats your boat, but I just want to point out that smooth (especially glossy) often means you get a reflection on the windshield. So for the top of the dash you want matte finish, some texture, not smooth. Dark colors are better, too.

I'll use an extreme example - the Ford Edge has pluminum (plastic aluminum) trim on the top of the dash that reflects badly on the windshield. Ford should have chosen the color and texture more carefully.
    "Since the CX-9 is built in Japan it may be cost prohibitive to supply the Pioneer units to the factory or to install them when the vehicles hit our shores. "

Not sure I understand. You know Pioneer is Japanese, right? Or are you saying the units are manufactured elsewhere? I think I am just not understanding what you meant.
    Pluminum? :-) 4 years to copy a Murano and they didn't notice Nissan uses real aluminum?
    The Saturn and Buick have nicer two tone textures on the dash, which help them look better, a little classier, and not as sport orriented.

I'd say the vents are a personal oppinion, becuase no one seems to comment on them, yet I think they look nice, unlike the long gaudy aluminium strips that line the side of the CX-9's console.

That console is too big, and takes away from front row passenger space.

True, the lambdas can't comfortably carry three in the third row (Yes- they can carry adults, but not for more than fifteen minutes)but the CX-9 can't comfortably carry more than 6. Really adults shouldn't be in the third row at all.

The point of having all that space is, you can take your family of five on trip in a CX-9 or Acadia. But in the Acadia (with it's 20 cuft), you don't have to fold any seats down. And no one is going to complain about being crammed in the back seat. So you can get the captains that are more comfortable than a bench seat.

I think Mazda was gunning for the big boys (Audi Q7) when they put some nice design exterior and interior features on the CX-9's list. Only thing is- it's like they forgot which market they are actually in, and left out some of the practicality- something that is easily noticed. I will say it wins in comparison to the Audi Q7- because it handles better and is quicker (?) and better looking. And I love the 20's (forget tacky! They work here!)
    The point is it doesn't look as rich as the rest of the materials in the cabin, which takes away from the overall sense of, well, richness. In the Outlook, it is a nuisance; in the would-be Lexus-fighter Enclave, it is unforgivable.

We'll let the dash go, but the interior is very nice in comparison to a Lexus.
    But even though more and more are becoming leaders, the stereotype is still Buick doesn't run with Lexus, just like Huyndai and Mazda are way below Toyota in comparison.

On a side note- it's kind of funny how Lexus is degraded by this, as when Cadillac and Acura talk about moving their brands up market, they always talk of aiming for Benz and Bimmer for world class- never Lexus. But when lower class cuick talks about moving upmarket, they aim for Lexus.

I don't understand why people "diss" Motortrend, or CR, or any other tester. They all have as much credibility. And they all have their flaws.
    On a side note- it's kind of funny how Lexus is degraded by this, as when Cadillac and Acura talk about moving their brands up market, they always talk of aiming for Benz and Bimmer for world class- never Lexus. But when lower class cuick talks about moving upmarket, they aim for Lexus.

It's because they think they're already at the Lexus class.
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    I went to check out both the Arcadia & the Outlook and IMO, I think the Outlook has a nicer(luxcury) interior while the Arcadia has a more trucky interior. I have owned a GMC in the past,but I can't even believe I'm considering a Saturn.
  • veragenveragen Member Posts: 34
    Hello to All, Just join in the forum. I've been reading and researching many topics on current mid-size CUVs; like safety, the pros and cons that these vehicles have during a long year term from auto assessment companies (i.e. Consumer Report, IIHS and J.D. Powers).So after reviewing the automaker brand new 2007 models I usually look for end of year clearence deals,incentives & rebates or new / improvement changes on next year 2008 model. Now i'm trying to narrow down the CUV I like by evaluating and test driving myself. Also I been reading different online forums-post; where the potential buyers or new vehicle owners been rating their new auto as far as ride, comfort, performance and overall quality. This comparo-topic has numerous CUV / SUV mentioned here (Pilot, Freestyle, HighLander), But i presently like the GMC Acadia roomy easy-access interior, Mazda CX-9 sporty zoom-zoom performance and Hyundai Veracruz the quiet ride / great-quality touch.(not to get-off the SUV comparo topic here but the new upcoming 2008 Hyundai Genesis is in the air for me as well?). :)
    You may have a difficult time getting a large CUV at any sort of significant discount. The supply is having a tough time keeping up with demand right now.

From looking at a lot of posts and doing some test driving myself (bought an Outlook a few months back) these are my thoughts:

Outlook/Acadia/Enclave: Best in class combination of interior space and cargo space. Can fit 7 easily.

CX-9: More of a drivers CUV. Not as much space as the lambdas, but more fun to drive. 6 is the practical max people hauling capacity.

Vera Cruz: I have not personal experience with this one, but it seems to be a good compromise between the CX-9 and Lambda.

Those seem to be the cream of the large CUV crowd. I think the first fundamental question you need to ask yourself is: How many people do you want to be able to haul around? After you answer that, then it will narrow your choices considerably. If it is 7+, I think a Lambda or minivan is the only real good choice.
    Not sure why you state "6 is the practical max people hauling capacity.", unless you are inferring that you cannot seat 3 people in 2nd row. Many CX-9 owners in this thread have written otherwise.

Does the extra 2" in width on the lambdas make the difference between easy and impractical? My cell-phone is nearly twice as big as that.

And how can the VC be positioned between the CX-9 and the lambdas when it is smaller and less powerful than both?
    I think Audi was the trend-starter with real aluminum trim, might have been on the TT. At least that's the car that drew attention to the trend.

Nissan and Acura also use real aluminum, but you have to wonder if that's a good thing - aluminum dents and it hot to the touch when exposed to sunlight. Imagine hitting a briefcase up against some trim or having a metal shift knob that's been in the sun - ouch!

Any how, the trend is here to stay. I can't remember the last vehicle I drove that didn't have at least some aluminum-look trim.

Just keep it away from the tops of dashes, so we don't get reflections on the windshield.
    Looks like you have dibs on the center spot in the 2nd row. Personally, I would not spend a lot of time in there. It is just not made to sit more than 6 for any extended period of time. But, if you put a carseat or booster seat there and flanked it by kids, it would work. But then it is a pain to get adults in the 3rd row.

This is not meant as any sort of insult. You could fit 5 in a Civic, I just would not want to be in the back with the other 2. Some cars are just not meant to carry more than a certain number of people. The CX-9 just seems to be a 6 seater. Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is. It makes up for it by being a better handling vehicle.

Now, on the 2 inch issue. Is 2 inches a big deal? Look at the size of your pants. Now try on a pair that is 2 inches smaller in the waist and let me know how it feels. When you already have 3 people in close quarters, 2 inches can be a big help in terms of comfort. If it was 2 people in the row, 2 inches would not make a bit of difference. But, then it would carry 6. ;)
    Not sure I understand. You know Pioneer is Japanese, right? Or are you saying the units are manufactured elsewhere? I think I am just not understanding what you meant.

I typed that under the assumption the units are assembled/mfd in the U.S. I don't know where they are manufactured which is why I said "it may be cost prohibitive". It was just a theory.
    I have to agree here.

Try the "hump", i.e. the middle seat in the 2nd row, in pretty much any of these crossovers, and it's the least comfortable spot. The padding is thinner, the back rest is usually also an arm rest, and most models have a hump taking up foot room on top of it all.

I looked closely at this seat because we have 2 kids and a nanny, so that seat is occupied often.

To be honest I failed to find a crossover that did this well, and this is one of the reasons I ended up with something else.

The Subaru Tribeca was close - the seat is split 40/20/40 so the 20 portion isn't too bad, but even that model has a hump in the floor and less seat padding, so it's best for temporary use (or a booster or child seat).
    Completely agree that the CX-9 is really a 6 seater, but not because of the 3rd row, but because they made the 2nd row center not a seat at all. As someone mentioned, it's more of a hump than anything else, and behind your back is a storage area and cupholder.

By far the worst seat in the house. Quick trip to a restaurant, for a kid, fine, but nothing more than that imo.

I put my two carseats on the outer edges of that second row and just consider the center to be null space really (a separator so my 3 yr old doesn't whack the baby in the head or something :) )

If anyone else wants to ride with us (mom and dad in front), I would just automatically tell them to get in the 3rd row as it would be much more comfortable than center 2nd, esp. with configuration of carseats the way I have them.
    OK, now imagine having a nanny there a good portion of the time.

She may sue for cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

Vehicles I found that did that well were the Expedition and the Sienna (3 invidual seats in the middle row).
    If anyone else wants to ride with us (mom and dad in front), I would just automatically tell them to get in the 3rd row as it would be much more comfortable than center 2nd, esp. with configuration of carseats the way I have them.

So can you get to the 3rd row easily with the 2 car seats in the outboard positions? Our Explorer is set up exactly the same and it is impossible to get to the third row (from the two rear doors because you can always crawl in the hatch to get there) when the two seats are LATCH'ed in. It does not have the sliding second row seats as these CUVs do but they never seemed to move far enough forward when I played around with them.

Six of us went from PA to the Outer Banks this summer and we put the two car seats next to each other for that. They occupied the "60%" portion of the second row, one passenger sat comfortably in the 40% portion and one sat in 50% of the third row. The other half of the third row was laid flat in the floor and used for cargo. It was actually quite comfortable and prevented two grannies from having to drive 500+ miles each way. Oh, I drove and my wife was the other front row occupant.

If you can EASILY get to the 3rd row in one of these new CUVs while two carseats are LATCH'ed in at either end of the second row then I might be sold on one.
    Lambda with captains chairs opens up the 3rd row easily. But, your seating capacity goes down to 7.
    Not sure why you state "6 is the practical max people hauling capacity.", unless you are inferring that you cannot seat 3 people in 2nd row. Many CX-9 owners in this thread have written otherwise.

Not that hard, seems like every one agrees that the center seat in the CX-9 is not a comfortable place. It's not the best in any CUV, but in the CX-9 it's not comfortable at all.

An inch must make some difference for the Outlook to have so much more leg room than the CX-9.

I'll have to agree with you on the size of the Vera Cruz, but it's third row feels the same size as the CX-9. Not saying much, as they are both tight.
    An inch must make some difference for the Outlook to have so much more leg room than the CX-9.

Leg room numbers from Saturn and Mazda:

First row: 41.3/40.9
    Second row: 36.9/39.8
    Third row: 33.2/32.4

So I guess people may elbow each other in the CX-9 2nd row, but they can stretch out their legs a bit more. ;)

One of the advantages for the 2 car-seat crowd in the CX-9 is that the whole 2nd row seat slides forward (touching the back of the front seat) without reclining. Is it possible to fit two car seats on the 60 portion of the 60/40 bench on the Outlook? I know one can go with the captain chairs for the same effect (losing the oh-so-comfortable 2nd row center spot of the lambdas,) but just wondering.
    Lambda with captains chairs opens up the 3rd row easily. But, your seating capacity goes down to 7.

I don't care what GM claims. I would not put 3 people in the third row of a Lambda so it goes down to 6 for me. Unless I don't like all three of them. :P

That seems like a pretty good option though. I hadn't noticed that configuration's lack of a center console before. I just assumed a center console blocked the path back to the 3rd row as most others do when you opted for the captain's chairs.