Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Don't take this personally but that first pic is ugly.

Don't worry juice, I won't. I know you are the one who likes Subarus. :P
    I was hoping for something a little more broad shouldered and sporty-not totally 300C/G8,

Remember that this is the Taurus which will still primarily compete with the Avalon and this to me blows the Avalon away. The Fusion will still be your Camry/Accord competitor.

I think the big question is what that coupe in the background is? Some say maybe an MKS coupe to compete with the new Caddy CTS coupe. Others say maybe it's the MKR. And some are even saying it could be the next T-Bird which is rumored for 2012. Although the latter is supposedly going to be a 4-door.
    I agree. It is awful. I actually thought the prototype was ugly but now I think it might actually have been better looking. :sick: I sure hope my wife doesn't pick this monstrosity for our next family hauler.

Get out the manual for that center stack. You're going to need it!
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    "I sure hope my wife doesn't pick this monstrosity for our next family hauler"

Veto that every day of the week and twice on sunday... honda has gone rudderless with this one yet people will flock... it just doesn't make any sense.

the vows usually say in sickness and in health, they say nothing about about being forced to buy cars you can't stand... I even read the fine print, we're all in the clear on that one...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Mama-mia. I hope she has a good personality.

The profile is actually OK, very Jeep-like. The wheels look WAY too small though.

The rear view looks OK. The dual exhaust is an improvement.

That center stack has too many buttons. I swear Honda is going backwards in ergonomics, it seems to me each new model is a little less intuitive then the one it replaces. Did they peak a generation ago in that regard, or what?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I like how it looks - I was worried after seeing the prototype.

The wheels look WAY too small though.

Personally for those of us in snow country, big wheels aren't the most important thing. Further, lots of folks I'm sure are getting little heart attacks when they go to replace those 20" tires!!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Well, there are positives and negatives for large and small tires. First off, those little tires are a weakness for dry pavement driving. Crappy handling and offers a small contact patch to the pavement. They are an advantage in the snow, but, unless it snows more then 50% of the year where you are, then you are at a disadvantage most of the year when driving when compared to a CUV with 18 or 20 inch tires. Plus, those little wheels are an eye sore.

Why spend $35,000 on a CUV that is most useful for only part of the year, when you can spend the same amount on a vehicle that offers you better driving for the majority of the year? Your money is better spent on the latter of the two. I'm sure you will now bring up snow driving. There has yet to be anyone stranded in the snow because of the 18 or 20 inch wheels. They just don't track as well in the snow, but, you can still get to where you are going, safely.
    the vows usually say in sickness and in health, they say nothing about about being forced to buy cars you can't stand... I even read the fine print, we're all in the clear on that one...

Well having to look at that thing in the garage every day just might make me sick! :surprise:
    They are an advantage in the snow, but, unless it snows more then 50% of the year where you are, then you are at a disadvantage most of the year when driving when compared to a CUV with 18 or 20 inch tires. Plus, those little wheels are an eye sore.

I will agree that larger tires look better and that they handle better in most cases. But I'm not driving at 9/10ths on the road and really don't need a high performance tire on a CUV. Besides, the replacement cost can get ridiculous.

I'm sure you will now bring up snow driving.

Yes I will. I run dedicated snows in the winter so the OEM tires aren't an issue for me in the winter - it's the 99% of drivers out there on that high performance rubber that scare me.

The other issue is that getting snows to fit the large OEM rims is rather expensive and finding steel wheels in reasonable sizes that fit are impossible. If you go to tirerack in the fall and try finding a snow combo for vehicles with 18"+ tires, one can't even get a steel wheel to fit it - even with -1 or -2 sizing. One must buy another set of alloys.
    The profile is actually OK, very Jeep-like.

I don't see the Jeep but I do see a lot of Pathfinder in the profile and rear. Those two views aren't all that bad. Boring yes, but not bad. That face is just terrible though and has no business being on a squared off SUV. That face belongs on a Dodge Neon or something so we can watch "Say Hello" commercials again.
    I'm not asking for giant dubs for rims, what I meant was the large fender flares simply make the wheels appear to be small.

The aggressive fenders make a promise the wheels can't keep.

They should restyle the fender flares, not supply 20" rims. ;)
    Jeep profile I was referring to:

next to the Pilot:

WOW it looks like they used a Xerox machine for the greenhouse at least. See what I mean now?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Make this Honda number two I won't ever consider purchasing. The refreshed Accord was number one. They're really batting a thousand with me... :sick:

I still love my '96 and '06 Accords though!
    WOW it looks like they used a Xerox machine for the greenhouse at least. See what I mean now?

When you put it that way I don't see how anyone could not see that. That is a little too similar IMO. I still think overall from the A-pillar all the way back it resembles a Pathfinder. It might just be the rear though.
    Just curious, does anyone like it? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler?

I don't think I've heard a single person call it pretty.
  • vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    I think, it looks all right inside. Outside like any other SUV. I can't say that pathfinder or 4runner, trialblazer, or Explorer or........ are looking better then Honda. I know everyone here was expecting real looking CUV, but Honda went to SUV alike line.
    Just curious, does anyone like it? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler?

I like it.

I don't think I've heard a single person call it pretty.

I don't think pretty is what they were going for. I consider it non-offensive.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The styling is not as bad as everyone is saying. If I were in the market for this class of vehicle, would I consider it? Absolutely!

Bob
    You saw it in person at the NY show, right? Maybe it looks better in the flesh.

The grille is a bit cartoonish to me. It's like they put a set of these glasses on the old Pilot:

Make this Honda number two I won't ever consider purchasing. The refreshed Accord was number one. They're really batting a thousand with me...

Grad-

I was waiting for you to chime in!
    Bob-

Lets be honest here. Now, would you consider it if this design if it was not built by Honda?

I happen to think Honda will sell 150,000- 200,000 units / year regardless of how it looks. Does that mean the 09 Pilot design is a success? In theory, yes.

Keep in mind everyone, here on Edmunds, and various other forums, we here are usually "enthusiasts". We don't always express the opinion of the general public. While we all might think its ugly, you are still going to have the "Jones'" go out and buy it, and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    You saw it in person at the NY show, right? Maybe it looks better in the flesh.

juice - IIRC, the unit on display the the NY show was the same "prototype" as the original one from Detroit. The actual production unit seems toned down a bit - especially in the headlights.

Auto Show:

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not sure—but by being a Honda I know it will be excellent in most areas of functional concern to me. To me that's FAR more important than an oddly styled front end.

Bob
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    dare I say the only attractive vehicle in their line up is....

the ody...

the rest will sell despite the ugly stick beating they have received.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    "And to me this blows the Avalon away"

Whao! I almost spit out my coffee. The Avalon isn't at all exciting, but at least it's porportioned and not awkward. We've seen only a blurry pic of this, and from what I can see, it's nothing great in styling. As for the coupe in the background, don't get too excited. Ford's still gotta work on the meat and potatoes before they can bring the cake. And from what I can see, that meat needs a lot of cooking.
    Uh- there's no other way to put it. This is ugly. It's nowhere near where the market is going. If they wanted to design a CUV that looks like an SUV, why not copy something more simple, like a Tahoe. That would have turned out nice. The wheels are too small. They look like the same 16's.
    The refreshed Accord? You mean the new one that looks like Honda copied BMW from the side? I think that looks great. A huge improvement over the last generation model. That looked completely awkward and plain to me.
    "dare I say the only attractive vehicle in their line up is... the ody..."

I'll give you the CR-V, but the Accord looks nice. And I think the Civic is the best looking in it's class (besides the Mazda 3), and cool (my kids will never use that word again).

Ofcourse, since Honda buyers are hell-bent on styling, sales will drop like rain.
    The Avalon isn't at all exciting, but at least it's porportioned and not awkward.

Now you made me almost spill my whisky (it's night time now)! I couldn't disagree more, but it is your opinion so I won't argue about it anymore. :shades:
    Not sure—but by being a Honda I know it will be excellent in most areas of functional concern to me. To me that's FAR more important than an oddly styled front end.

True. But, good grief, you still have to look at the thing every day! There are far more CUVs and SUVs these days that both look good and are excellent in functional areas to opt for this thing just because of the "H".
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    The new Pilot looks very silly. I was waiting to see what it looked like before buying another vehicle hoping it would mimick the MDX without the premium fuel.
    I just can't stomach paying $4/gal for Premium, now $4 for regular doesn't seem that far off.

Any way anyone know what the 2010 Pilot will look like LOL. :P
    Ofcourse, since Honda buyers are hell-bent on styling, sales will drop like rain.

I actually disagree. Honda buyers are the least picky about styling, right next to Toyota buyers. People buy Hondas because of their reputation for quality and dependability.

What I am curious to see is, what did Honda do to better the Pilot? They have had a few years to better their product. But, did they do it? What gives the Pilot an advantage over the other new CUV's like the Lambdas, CX-9, Veracruz? Consider reliability a given, what does the Pilot offer that the others do not? Is it sportier? I think not. I think it's pretty safe to say that the CX-9 has that covered. Handling? I think the Veracruz and CX-9 have it beat too. I assume this just by looking at it. Small wheels, and bulky stance and Honda has a history of vehicles that don't handle too great. Fuel economy? We will have to wait and see. Power? Also an unknown, however, it is rumored that the Pilot will have the 3.5L w/268 hp and VCM. I don't know if that is a good thing from by the way many are unhappy with the VCM Accord.

Bottom line, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered to see if Honda really made an improvement with their new Pilot.
    Come on, anyone could see that was a joke. Maybe I should have put one of those goofy emotorcons on there. Then you would have seen it.

Honda buyers are the least concerned about styling, maybe second only to Buick. I even think Toyota is more style-concerned. But maybe that is waht might hurt Honda with the new Pilot. Buyers are used to innoffensive styling-nothing amazing, yet certainly not ugly- and this Pilot is anything but innofensive. They should have just gone with the flow of the market- a swoopy sporty design, a poor man's MDX, or a supresized CR-V. I'd also guess gas mileage won't be up to "Honda" standards.

On a lighter note, this might be good news for GM as I'm betting they are about to get a swarm of buyers who were waiting to see this new Pilot. Just a thought.
    Yes- to each his own (I guess).
    "I don't like the 2008 Accord's INTERIOR..."

I don't understand what's not to like. I don't think the interior is great, or anything, but you get all the features, and it's not plasticy (maybe you are refering to the overload of buttons on the dash?). I' not really too picky about interiors. As for the exterior, I would definitely not say it's exciting.
    Fresh results form CR tests say Honda is number one automaker sold in the US. Another shocker: Toyota is number two. This was totally unexpected. Oh, and they just keep coming. US auto makers ar at the bottom of the list. GM's newer vehicles like the lambdas and Malibu did well, though.
    Well, the Malibu took a step up on quality, the Accord took a step down.

Back to CUVs!
    Come on, anyone could see that was a joke. Maybe I should have put one of those goofy emotorcons on there. Then you would have seen it.

Yes, gosh darn it, you should have posted a silly face!! Shame on me for not picking up your sarcasm :sick:
    So Ford is telling Automotive News that they predict the Flex can sell 100k units per year.

What say ye?

I think it's possible, but depends a lot on price. The market has tanked so I do not think they will meet that target in the first year, but could eventually build up to that level of sales.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Bottom line, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered to see if Honda really made an improvement with their new Pilot.

07 Pilot owner here. Not in the market.
    Each vehicle will cater to its own set of the market. Pilot market has been: 1. Reliability; 2. Practicality; 3. 50/50 Mix of Ride / Handling; 4. Better Mileage than Comparative haulers (Tahoe etc) [note: I'm not saying TOWers - for towing, truck-based is clear winner].

Note: styling is not there. Box styling is consistent with #2 practicality.

How will the 09 stack up? Extremely hard to say here, but:

#2 Practicality:
    Best features of current Pilot: generous front row space, excellent storage options in front row; wide second row; some usability of third row (more than many competitors), particularly given overall size.
    Problems with Pilot practicality: Very Small Storage with all 3 rows up; Access to third row could be easier; a little more legroom in 3rd row would be appreciated; No direct Ipod link (possible with rear Nav); Cannot get both DVD & Nav
    Predictions for 09:
    Storage with 3rd row up increased a good bit (though probably less than GM trip/quadruplettes): based on thick D Pillar
    Better Access to 3rd row, and a bit more legroom door in 3rd row - based on what looks to be wider 2nd row door (makes it easier to get foot there to 3rd row); probably will not have 2nd row pass-through, so GM Trip/Quadruplets would have it beat on access / usability of 3rd row.
    Other practicality issue: should now have Ipod connection; availability of both DVD & Nav together

#3: Ride/Handling
    Pilot is very much an in-between market here. Closest match is Veracruz, IMO. Nothing like the handling of CX9, but nowhere near as punishing a ride either.
    Not as cushy as Highlander, but better handling.
    Predictions for 09: one rumor suggests slightly better handling (implementing some of the MDX improvements), while keeping similar ride. If so, I'd be pleased.

#4: Better Mileage than Similar Haulers
    This is a weak link in current Pilot. While better than large GM SUVs, it's beaten by GM Trip/Quadruplets, iiuc.
    Prediction for 09: not much of an improvement, based on what we're seeing with Accord V6.

In all, I think it will address most of its most serious shortcomings. However, the one that is probably most important in the current market, fuel economy, is probably the one least addressed.

Will a diesel make a difference? One is supposedly on the way in a two years, but the question then is, will US refineries change their mix to produce more diesel (so that temporary shortages of diesel do not cause such rapid price spikes for diesel)? Honda does not seem to be going hybrid in this class. Would a 4 work? It's a heavy vehicle. Not sure how many would buy (I would, but I don't use it for towing, nor do I currently live in mountains).

For now, I'd say it's an improvement over the current Pilot (and able to defend its existing market niche). However, a big part of that niche is being swayed more by mileage than by Honda-Reliability, and I think the GM Trip/Quad pose a big challenge to it (which now match its practicality in many aspects, and better it in others). And it's not going to get those who used to go Pilot for handling/performance (over old Highlander / Tahoe etc) who cannot go to the MDX, and instead go to CX9. But, I do see it sufficiently defending itself v-a-v the Veracruz. Not sure how the Flex fits in, but I doubt the 2 will be cross-shopped much. We'll see!
    Very insightful post.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you talk about what is important to the Pilot buyer. You would know, since you own one. This is why I still think it will sell 150-200K until, regardless of how it looks.

I think passenger room and cargo room is a big issue, considering the Lambdas and the CX-9 have more passenger room, easier to access the 3rd row, and cargo room, making them more practical then the Pilot. While the Pilot gives the appearance of a more useful and larger CUV because of the box shape, it actually falls short. This is unless the new Pilot is indeed larger.

As you said, and which I have stated earlier, the fuel economy is going to be an issue here. I highly doubt that the Pilot will be able to show a significant fuel savings, if any, over GM, Mazda or Hyundai. If the competition is indeed on par in terms of fuel economy, then the ride and drive of the Pilot better sway potential buyers from them if the reliability history of the Pilot is not enough. We all know the new Pilot is not going to win any beauty contests, so, that factor is the decision process is not a positive.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Well the 2008 Highlander addressed some of its earlier shortcomings, yet sales are a bit off from this point last year. You could blame the economy, or you could blame the fact that people were expecting something a little sleeker in the redesign. The GM Lambdas have managed to do this right, by a careful combination of classic SUV looks and sleekness in the right areas.

So boxy is good for practical uses, but with all the other choices in the market today, seems to me they could have made a little more effort. But to your point, it will still sell well enough.
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. The new Pilot will definitely be an imporvement over it's predecessor, I'd be pretty certain in all areas except gas mileage. It will be successful, but I don't think anyone could really say that it wouldn't be more successful and have more market share with a slightly sleeker, overall better looking exterior.
    Hopefully that puts pressure on Toyota to make simple improvements - like a split 3rd row for starters.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Yeah, I agree. I liked the new Highlander, even though it didn't have a lot of room behind the 3rd row: I figured that I could always pull down half of the 3rd row to make more room...but nooooo! No split 3rd row. That really turned us off, so here we are with a CX-9. Their loss, I guess.
    After reading the new Pilot walk around by Edmunds, I have to admit, the Pilot seems to have lived up to most of the expectations. I knew it would grow in size, especially after reading about the increase in behind- third row-cargo space to an impressive 20 cubes. But I was actually thinking it would grow more than just 2 inches in length- more like 3-4. I guess Honda didn't want to mess with successful ingredients- and the size always was right. I was also impressed that legroom was up an inch in the 2nd row, and 2 in the third, pretty good for adding 2 inches in length. However, overall cargo space is still an average 87 cubes. I guess something had to give somewhere. I was also hoping for captains chairs.

I will even admit the styling has grown on me a little- but that's probably just from looking at all those marketing photos.

I wouldn't say it's best in class, but it's a good imporvement on an already good package. And I'd take it over the Highlander.
    Yes, Honda did improve the Pilot, in terms of passenger space and cargo capacity. Edmunds did say the car was not exciting to drive, and the VCM did cause the vehicle to surging, which is a big problem for Accord owners. Also, they said you really have to slam the throttle to get power, something that is partly caused by having only a 5-speed tranny.

It does seem that Honda concentrated more on the utilitarian part of the CUV, rather then the drive. It does not seem like a bad idea. The GM's went for more interior room, more power. Mazda went for the overall drive and interior passenger space, and now Honda went for overall utility.
    This is something that Honda is known for, however, they pull up short here with the new Pilot. See how it stacks up against the competition.

Pilot. 16/22 250hp/253tq
    CX-9. 15/21 273hp/270tq
    GM. 16/22 275hp/251tq
    Hyundai 15/22 260hp/257tq

Considering how much power the Pilot has, IMO, that is what makes the fuel economy not that impressive compared to the competition.
    For the Pilot, it seems average; a 6-speed would help. Also, VCM is for 4WD models only.
    That increased cargo space behind the 3rd row is an important upgrade.

I think Honda knew they had the Odyssey for the people that wanted space first and foremost, so they intentionally kept the Pilot's dimensions a tad smaller outside.