Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• Options
    coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    No. You are looking at the 4WD Pilot from last year getting 15/20, not the 2WD versions compared above. The 4WD system reduces MPG, but that is another story. See www.fueleconomy.gov for info. I was comparing only 2WD versions of all these vehicles just to stay consistent for comparison purposes across the board.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The 2WD Pilot has a rating of 17/23. The 4WD has a rating of 16/22.

The old 4WD one has a rating of 15/20, so the VCM (among other tweaks possibly) has improved mileage from 15/20 to 16/22.

I'm afraid you got it mixed up. ;)
  • Options
    I was comparing 2WD-only versions, while you were talking about 4WD-only versions. And, yes, the jump from the 2008 4WD 15/20 rating to the 2009 4WD 16/22 is only about half due to the introduction of cylinder deactivation (VCM) in the 2009 4WD model. Note the 2WD version, from '08 to '09, also gained 1 MPG in both city & highway, and the 2WD version has had VCM for several years now, so it is due to tuning and possible gear ratio changes in the 5-speed automatic. Now Honda has a Pilot that makes up for not having a 6-speed automatic (or CVT) by using cylinder deactivation. Adding direct injection and a 6-speed would give about 3 MPG more, if Honda would just do it.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I own a CX9 AWD for 5600 miles.
    Great vehicle in terms of space, design, tranquility, and driving dynamics.

The one thing that I dislike is the lack of accessories.
    One can't find many accessories from Mazda or on aftermarket.
    For example, one can hardly find any sidestep (maybe because CX9 is lower than most others) or running board even at its 2nd year in USA. In contrast, the new Pilot offers FOUR different side steps/running boards from Honda when it was just released. For those who are thinking of buying, please take this into consideration it this is important to you.

That said, I still love my CX-9. It drives like a sports sedan that can haul 7 people + cargo. Give Mazda a chance when cross-shopping. Mazda is selling them at $1500 BELOW INVOICE. Be an informed shopper!
  • Options
    You already picked a Forrester, a good choice, but a better choice would have been the TaurusX. It uses a Volvo-derived XC90, S80, VC70, Land Rover LR3 body, a structurally optimized platform costing less than the Volvo or Land Rover versions. Good MPG, too. The Forrester is OK, except for Subaru's odd lagging behind almost everybody else by using a 4-speed old-style slushbox tranny instead of a more modern 6-speed or CVT.
  • Options
    It's kind of hard to tell someone that they bought the wrong choice, I'd think. They bought the car they were most comfortable with, and with a brand they have had good service with, and trust.

A Taurus X is bigger and uses more gas, and may be more car than they wanted. They aren't that cheap, either.
  • Options
    mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Anyone around here bought one of these yet?
  • Options
    I didn't think these were out yet. My local dealer sure doesn't have any, and I know - my folks are buying a Ford this weekend so I've been there a lot.
  • Options
    They arrived here last week. It's only been a few days. Figured they are not everywhere yet, but some places might have gotten them earlier. It will be nice to here from some owners when they are on the road. I haven't driven one yet, but I did swing into a dealer to take a quick look.
  • Options
    thegraduate, I agree the Forester is a good choice. It weighs only 3200 lbs compared to a Freestyle's (and Taurus X) 4000 lbs, and an Acadia weighs 4500 lbs. I had to go look, but you're right the Forester is about $4000 cheaper than a TaurusX. I paid $22,500 3 years ago for a Freestyle (TaurusX ancestor), and am amazed at the high MPG with the CVT tranny and 3.0L V6, within 1 MPG of the current smaller Forester. The Forester's AWD and 4-speed reduce its MPG a little. Good crash tests on both models.

Talk about going even bigger, the Acadia/Outlook has competition now with the huge Ford Flex some are talking about in this forum. Based on the Freestyle/TaurusX/Volvo platform, that Flex is one big slab-sided bus if there ever was one. Paint it yellow and take the neighborhood kids to school.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    coldcranker - perhaps you are unaware that atexeira is one of the resident subiphiles here at Edmunds. As long as there is a suitable Subaru available, he'll prefer it over most any other brand - isn't that right juice??

:)
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Based on the Freestyle/TaurusX/Volvo platform, that Flex is one big slab-sided bus if there ever was one. Paint it yellow and take the neighborhood kids to school.

I think you're being confused by the pictures of the Flex. Go see one in person (a lot of dealers have one or two by now) and you'll most likely change your mind. The Flex is a good bit shorter than the Lamdas and does not have the same exterior bulk to it nor does it look as heavy (even though it is). I was actually surprised by how small the Flex looked in person when it looked so large in the pictures.
  • Options
    The Flex is actually longer than the Lambdas (Acadia) by 1 inch. The Acadia does have a 1 inch longer wheelbase, though. The Acadia is 2 inches wider. Very comparable in size. The TaurusX, the Flex's slightly smaller platform cousin, weights about 4000 lbs, so the Flex is expected to be about 4500 lbs, within 200 lbs of the Acadia.
    Comparison Click Here...

I saw a Flex at an auto show this year. The slab sides did make it look like the Incredible Hulk version of the mini-cooper. Too big for me, but not by much. I prefer the TaurusX/Freestyle size. Any vehicle bigger than my Freestyle better be a truck (my other vehicle is an '05 F150). You could use the Flex as a school bus, as minivans do now. Good large-family vehicle.

Of course, the real problem with the Flex is the horrible aerodynamics. At least the Freestyle, TaurusX, and Acadia make some attempt at streamlining. It looks like the Flex exterior was designed to go no faster than 45 mph, given the flat surfaces. I wonder if wind noise will be a problem with such a simple shape. I would have liked it if the front end looked a little like the Murano instead of a brick.
  • Options
    I was referring to the height when I said "shorter". I should have been clearer. ;)

I wonder if wind noise will be a problem with such a simple shape.

Read the reviews. It's as quiet as a tomb inside. And not because it looks somewhat like one. :P

I personally think it looks fantastic in person and would love to own one. Price will be the big issue for us when we're due for a new vehicle in a few months. Now that Ford has opted to package more into the 3 trim levels and offer fewer a la carte options, getting one equipped the way I want drives the price close to $40k. I can get all the space I need in an Explorer or a TX and save about $10k and $5k respecitvely in doing so. That pays for a lot of gas.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, maybe, but keep in mind I commute in a Mazda Miata and my weekend/family car is a Toyota Sienna.

Ironically the only Subaru in my driveway is my wife's Forester.

The Taurus X was not even close to what she wanted. We were looking for something significantly smaller than the minivan, and the Forester is a full 20" shorter in length than the X. Plus we put fuel efficiency as a top priority, though it had to be a wagon bodystyle and have AWD. EPA city for the Forester is 20mpg vs. 15 for the X, a huge difference.

People don't realize how compact the Forester is - it's shorter than the Chevy Cobalt in overall length. This tidy size plus excellent visibility make it a cinch to maneuver and park, yet it's still roomy inside (maybe that's why people think it's big?).

Basically we already have a big car.

To be honest if I shop at the Ford dealer to replace the van (not any time soon, mind you) I would drive a Flex. I like the gigantic Mini Cooper look it has.
  • Options
    a structurally optimized platform costing less than the Volvo or Land Rover versions

Don't say that around volvomax. I'll let the two of you debate this, here's his position:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9c851/35585
  • Options
    ateixeira, Thanks for the link to volvomax above. I mostly agree with him. It is true that the Volvo has more boron steel than the cheaper Freestyle, as I've seen a Ford engineering presentation that revealed what they did. However, the Freestyle crash tests very well, it does contain Ford custom structural optimizations, and it has retained much of the Volvo XC90 structural tricks as well. Also, the Freestyle has side curtain airbags that wrap around over your head. I paid $22,500 for my Freestyle instead of $40,000 for the Volvo XC90, for very good safety features.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good value.

We really wanted something compact this time around. Big inside, but small outside, for sure.

I did test drive a Freestyle before we purchased our Minivan.

Oops I said the M-word again. :D
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large local newspaper is looking to speak to recent minivan buyers and minivan shoppers that ended up purchasing an SUV or crossover. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Jonathan Wahl at jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 3 2008.
  • Options
    A Press Request, eh? That interview will go something like this: "I thought minivans were associated with soccer moms and diapers, so I bought a crossover to save my image of a tough person, even though the most daring thing I do is watch golf on TV."

In reality, a minivan will usually do the job better than a crossover. My Freestyle, however, is almost a boxy minivan anyway, so I go crossover withough giving up much.
  • Options
    Changing diapers is pretty daring. :D
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I've done it one handed with a sleeping baby in the other arm...that's daring!
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    bought an '06 mountaineer premier. he said he rented an acadia, but got stuck in some snow and had to pay $110 to get towed 5 feet forward.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Of course, the real problem with the Flex is the horrible aerodynamics. At least the Freestyle, TaurusX, and Acadia make some attempt at streamlining. It looks like the Flex exterior was designed to go no faster than 45 mph, given the flat surfaces. I wonder if wind noise will be a problem with such a simple shape. I would have liked it if the front end looked a little like the Murano instead of a brick.

I didn't comment on this when you originally posted it because the proof wasn't out yet. You can safely retract that entire statement now. :P Also, read any first drive of the Flex and you'll find that it is extremely quiet inside. No road noise at all.

Ford Flex Aerodynamics
  • Options
    Its about the best that can be done with a brick-shaped object. The Flex, compared to the Highlander or Acadia, gets its better Cd (drag coefficient) because its lower to the ground, with a better air-dam up front down low. Note in this article Article Link , which is harsh on your Ford-propoganda article you cited, the smoke trail changes direction suddenly at the base of the windshield, something Ford should have corrected with more windshield rake, but the Ford stylists objected by saying "Customers like boxes, like the BMW Mini-Cooper Clubman or Scion Xb".

Also remember that crosswinds are not a part of the drag coefficient tests, since the straight front posts with little tumble-home and little rake will make off-axis crosswind noise worse. In the real world, the wind rarely cooperates and passes directly in line with the front sharp edges on the fenders. Wait til somebody evaluates the wind noise off those front pillars.
  • Options
    baggs32 said: "I was actually surprised by how small the Flex looked in person when it looked so large in the pictures."

The Flex is as wide as a full-sized pickup truck. This is a large vehicle. Good luck parking that yellow bus crossover. For people who need a whopper, this is not a bad choice. I saw one at an auto show last April, and one recently in a parking lot, and it looks the same as its pictures.
  • Options
    Its about the best that can be done with a brick-shaped object.

Maybe, but all they were pointing out is that the Ford engineers worked hard and went the extra mile to make something that looks like it would push a lot of air into something that really doesn't. It fooled you and many others I would imagine. It's also something Ford would not have done a few years ago I think we can all agree.

Also remember that crosswinds are not a part of the drag coefficient tests, since the straight front posts with little tumble-home and little rake will make off-axis crosswind noise worse. In the real world, the wind rarely cooperates and passes directly in line with the front sharp edges on the fenders. Wait til somebody evaluates the wind noise off those front pillars.

None of the reviewers, from multiple sources, mentioned any wind noise at the A-pillars specifically. All did mention that it is extremely quiet inside though. So you may be right, but I haven't read any complaints yet. Also, I havn't read a review of any Flex other than a Limited model with the double coated front glass. The SE and SEL may be a bit louder inside without that feature which is only available on the Limited trim.
  • Options
    Talking about the new Ford Flex, a stretched and widened Freestyle/TaurusX platform, the Flex actually gets only 1 MPG less in the city/hiway EPA cycles as my '05 Freestyle. Thats not bad since the Flex is about 2 inches longer, 5 inches wider, and has a bigger engine, compared to the Freestyle. To equal the Freestyle in fuel economy with a new crossover of comparable size, you have to buy a 4-cylinder Dodge Journey, not a good option for a lot of people since Dodge has the worst reputation, as the Journey is actually based on the unloved Dodge Avenger car platform. Its hard to get worse than that in today's competitive market. However, the Journey invoices at about $19k with the 4-cylinder, so one could buy it and save some money.
  • Options
    kellzkellz Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I've been reading through this board as I've done my CUV searching. After months of looking, driving and other people's (not necesarily wanted) oppinions, I've decided to get the Acadia. I just want to give my reasoning for my decision (as I'm sure everyone is so interested).

I have always had my eye on the Acadia, from when a lady at my church replaced her Suburban with one and has been raving ever since. But I wanted to test the other competitors just to be sure. First I drove the Highlander. It was uninspiring,and too small. I was extremely disapointed by the lack of inovations, like a split third row. I drove the Q7, which was too truck like for me, and the new MDX, which even though it was sortier, I felt it was a step back from my MDX. I'm not a big fan of the CX-9's styling (and styling is high on my list- behind safety and comfort, because I can't wake up to something I don't like to look at everyday), but it did handle nice. The third row was not comfortable, especially for a vehicle the size of an Acadia. Just to do something, I tested the Taurus X, even though I knew there was no way I would buy one. It took second place in seating comfort and I liked how peppy the engine was in traffic, but I was dissapointed in cargo space for a vehicle that big, and I hate that shaving razor grille. However, I would get that before I get the Flex, which is just heavier, slower and more expensive(from what I've read), withough adding much room inside. And I think Ford stole the idea of reinventing the minivan in stylish(?) wagon form from Mercedes. I liked the R-class and thought it was a ridiculous amount of Mercedes for only 45,000. I may be among the few who like the styling as I think it looks like Mercedes took a minivan and gave it some CLS styling. It was one of the most comfortable passenger wise, but then I started comparing it to the Buick Enclave, which despite being slightly shorter in length, was larger in every interior dimension, and when comparably equipped, the Enclave CXL prices at 39,000 while the R350 would cost 58,000 (!!!!). So the Enclave won that. I was also impressed when some friends who's son goes to school with our kids said they compared it with big luxury players like the Lexus RX/GX, Audi Q7 and the Mercedes Benz GL and the Enclave was their choice. But I like the way Acadia looks more than the Enclave so I was back at the Acadia. I looked at the Journey, but I already knew it was too small inside to be a real contender. The only other CUV left to drive was the new Pilot. That CUV completely turns me off, but not only did my wife beg me to drive it, but when I said yes, she brought one of her best friends who is a diehard Honda person. I knew my wife would think of me as the bad guy after I said absolutely not after her girlfriend had her convinced the Pilot was the best choice. But the car had no pickup and handled truck like. The interior was way too busy. Her friend actually agreed with me and said she didn't like it. She like her '06 Pilot better. I was totally shocked.

I finally took my wife to drive the Acadia and she loved it. The vehicles I am replacing are a 1999 Grand Caravan and a 2004 Acura MDX. The Acadia almost seamlessly replaces both. No vehicle is as versatile or comfortable as a minivan, but the Acadia does it best. And my wife and I love the MDX's bad weather handling and upscale interior so much that we sometimes fight over it (and my daily driver is a Mercedes E350!). The Acadia drives just as well and is almost as quick. I was dreading us test driving it in the rain as it might affect my wife's oppinion of it, but it really showed out. It should be just as quick as our MDX quick when GM puts the new direct injection V6 under the hood. I felt it had a great ride, and the interior was high quality. I also liked the seating configuration like that of a minivan. So this fall I will be getting a GMC Acadia, though I'm still not sure if I will trade my MDX in with the van.
  • Options
    kellz,
    If you want a big one, the Acadia is a good choice. I have an '05 Freestyle (TaurusX ancestor) and it has plenty of room and weighs just under 4000 lbs, getting between 20 and 27 MPG with a smoothe CVT tranny. The Saturn version of the Acadia, the Saturn Outlook, is a little cheaper than an Acadia so I'd check that one out. I think you are right waiting for an '09 model with direct injection. The fuel economy should go up by 1 MPG with direct injection. The '09 Chevy Traverse, yet another flavor of Acadia, comes out soon and might be priced right where the Saturn is. A sale/discount on an Acadia might make it competitive with the Saturn/Chevy versions. The Enclave seems to be for those who like their GMC-clones gold-plated and are willing to pay for it. I usually like to buy my cars stripped of frivolous options, so the base price means a lot to me. I got my Freestyle new 3 years ago for $22,500 at a discount, a base model except for traction control and extra side/roof airbags for safety.
  • Options
    My FIL was complaining about his '07 Veracruz Limited the other night. Specifically the way it handled on the highway and how much body roll/lean it has. He said it rolls/leans so much that he feels he has to slow down around some of the larger bends on the highway. His previous 2 vehicles were Explorers (an '04 and an '06 V8) and he had no complaints about them. At least not with the handling anyway. ;)

Anyone else experience this in a VC? I haven't driven it yet and was wondering if the handling was a little sloppy or if he's just not used to it yet. But it has been in his garage nearly a year now.
  • Options
    saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    baggs32 wrote:

My FIL was complaining about his '07 Veracruz Limited the other night. Specifically the way it handled on the highway and how much body roll/lean it has. He said it rolls/leans so much that he feels he has to slow down around some of the larger bends on the highway. His previous 2 vehicles were Explorers (an '04 and an '06 V8) and he had no complaints about them. At least not with the handling anyway

Perhaps that is why it is called Veracruz and not a Veracorner.... ;)

Seriously though, the Veracruz is a unibody vehicle with suspension tuning to be more like a car than a truck. Your FIL is probably used to truck like cornering from the body on frame Explorer. There is probably nothing wrong with the suspension on the Veracruz. It's just the way it is tuned. Hyundai seems to tune all of their suspensions to the soft side. I have had experience with a Sonata rental that was very soft. It comes down to preference, and since like your FIL I prefer a firmer more confident ride I bought a Ford Freestyle that handles very well.

- Chad
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I can confirm what coldcranker said. My FS FWD is 3 1/2 years old with 62K miles and my MPG is consistently between 20-27. I also paid the same exact price on the X-plan, but mine also has rear AC ceiling vents and dual AC up front. The only problems I had were the rear brake pad and a transmission control module, both of which were covered under warranty. I see nothing out there in the car market that can beat it's MPG and interior space, so I plan on keeping it for a long time...
  • Options
    There is probably nothing wrong with the suspension on the Veracruz. It's just the way it is tuned. Hyundai seems to tune all of their suspensions to the soft side.

That's nearly exaclty what I told him. I was just surprised to hear that the handling was worse than that of a BOF SUV. I tried to talk him into a CX-9 or an Acadia when he was shopping but he liked the VC for some reason. Maybe the price appealed to him more or something.

Seriously though, the Veracruz is a unibody vehicle with suspension tuning to be more like a car than a truck.

I would say the opposite. A unibody should corner better than, and with less body roll than, a BOF SUV. Mostly because they tend to sit lower to the ground and usually have more complex suspensions.
  • Options
    I try to stay away from characterizations like "better" and "worse" in issues like this. Frankly, anything riding this high will roll and lean more than something riding lower. They're just different and influenced by preference and experience. Your FIL is used to the feel of an Explorer and likes it. No surprise that a CUV like the Veracruz feels different to him. I also tend to notice body roll more in most CUV's and vans rather than in a BOF SUV specifically because of the softer tuning combined with the higher ride. I can see how it could bother someone.
  • Options
    saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    baggs32 wrote:

Seriously though, the Veracruz is a unibody vehicle with suspension tuning to be more like a car than a truck.

I would say the opposite. A unibody should corner better than, and with less body roll than, a BOF SUV. Mostly because they tend to sit lower to the ground and usually have more complex suspensions.

Body roll is a function of the suspension tuning, not the body structure of a vehicle. On a softly sprung vehicle like the Veracruz you may get more body roll than the more truck-like Explorer. This doesn't actually mean it handles worse, but it leans more into the corners, which I suspect is what your FIL doesn't like. I also suspect that the Veracruz would indeed out handle the Explorer in ultimate grip at the limit, but the Explorer likely feels more planted up until the point it lets loose because of the firmer truck suspension. It is more perception than reality that the Veracruz doesn't handle as well.

- Chad
  • Options
    About too much body roll in the Veracruz from the previous post: I once had this happen in a Taurus station wagon years ago and I found out the rear anti-roll bar had slipped out of its mounting bracket on the suspension. This reduced roll stiffness greatly, needless to say. Therefore, check to be sure the rear anti-roll bar is attached firmly to its bushing/bracket, and have a mechanic take a look if you don't know what one of those things look like. Its easy to check for this integrity. You might also check the front anti-roll bar as well while you are at it. I doubt if anybody makes a thicker anti-roll bar for this vehicle, but that is many times the solution for these kinds of things. I remember when the Ford Explorer was in the news all the time for rolling over that someone sold a kit to put a thicker one on the Explorer, for example.
  • Options
    Body roll is a function of the suspension tuning, not the body structure of a vehicle. On a softly sprung vehicle like the Veracruz you may get more body roll than the more truck-like Explorer.

I get that, but what I'm saying is that these CUVs, being based on cars, should be expected to lean less than a BOF SUV IMO. Obviously my FIL thought so too. I knew the VC is a copy of a Lexus RX but it seems they should have copied someone elses suspension. Unless one likes that sort of ride.

but the Explorer likely feels more planted up until the point it lets loose because of the firmer truck suspension.

I have to disagree. Those firmer truck suspensions tend to get somewhat better when some weight is on top of them not when it's just the driver going down the highway. They are built for that sort of duty and excel at it. I have an '06 and it leans around corners a good bit too. I just can't imagine that the VC is worse. If it in fact is then I'd be scared too. :surprise:
  • Options
    Its really all about the stiffness in the anti-roll bars, also know as "sway bars" built into just about every suspension out there.
  • Options
    Its really all about the stiffness in the anti-roll bars, also know as "sway bars" built into just about every suspension out there.

Not in all cases. The Ford Escape didn't have a rear anti-roll bar until the current 2009 model. It was always said to have minimal body roll in the past (you'll have to search for the reviews yourself) and is even better now. I had an '05 and now have an '08 and have to agree with past assessments. It has a good bit less body roll than our Explorer.

Edmunds take on it, with comments on the new anti-roll bar, can be read here.
  • Options
    kellzkellz Member Posts: 5
    I did notice that the Taurus X got a bit better mileage, but when it comes down to it, I am willing to give up the 1-2 (?) mpgs for the added cargo/passenger space. I also think that we should achieve good numbers. My wife is obsessed with getting the best gas mileage possible out of a vehicle, to the point that it can drive me crazy. She loves to read about those hypermilers and use their tips. Almost half of her weekly driving is highway, so I'm sure we will get about the epa estimate for the city, and exceed it on the highway.

I do know about all of the lambda clones, and that the Traverse and Outlook are cheaper. But for 1000 more, I like the look of the Acadia better. I'd geuss you get more standard equipment than the Traverse, and Saturn has that wierd no haggle pricing (though I'm sure soon Saturn will have some big discounts, but there are NONE for the Acadia). THough I completely consider the Enclave a true competitor for the likes of the RX and R-class (and others) I think you can just choose which lambda you like based on looks. I reconsidered the Enclave because in a few years they won't make the Acadia- or the Outlook, but they will continue to make the Traverse and Enclave, so they will probably still have the parts the Acadia needs.

I do agree will you about the "frivolous" options. I do want some luxury toys I've become accustomed to in the Mercedes (wow, that's contradicting!) like the heated memory seats and I love the captains from the van, so I will probably get an SLT-1. But I'm not for the pricey not necessary options, like sunroofs, and navigation systems or power liftgate. I like the look of the 19 inch rims, I'll definitely be skipping that frill. The only option I might consider is the DVD system if the dealer installed price is right. We take 2-3 big driving trips a year and several other little ones, and it's hugely convient not to have to fumble with so many wires everytime the kids want to watch a movie, and it's nice to have the waranty cover a problem with a built in, something Best Buy doesn't do. Also, I don't believe in aftermarket, as it takes away from the overall value.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    " do know about all of the lambda clones, and that the Traverse and Outlook are cheaper. But for 1000 more, I like the look of the Acadia better. I'd geuss you get more standard equipment than the Traverse, and Saturn has that wierd no haggle pricing (though I'm sure soon Saturn will have some big discounts, but there are NONE for the Acadia)."

It has been awhile since I looked at these, but it seems the Outlook base was less than the Acadia because they left off some equipment. Those were available to add back in. The Enclave had more standard equipment than either of the others, but if you added options to Acadia or Outlook to make it equivalent to the base Enclave, the pricing was about the same. Saturn would be at a disadvantage if they don't offer discounts given the soft vehicle market these days.

I have access to GM supplier discount through the wife working at Fedex and can get on-line pricing for GM or Buick, but Saturn tells you to see dealer for details. I've never been a fan of Saturn no haggle pricing since it seems that pricing is higher than competing vehicles. Great for the seller since the buyer would pay more and thus margin would be higher.
  • Options
    from baggs32: "Not in all cases. The Ford Escape didn't have a rear anti-roll bar until the current 2009 model."

But it did have a front anti-roll bar, which can do a lot on its own.

Very funny comment in the Escape Edmunds article you cited: "Along with the new tires and a retuned suspension, all Escapes get a rear antiroll bar for 2009, making us inadvertently comment, "It didn't have a rear antiroll bar before?" Nope. "....... My reaction exactly. I can't believe it didn't have something back there to lower roll in turns like most cars. However, it has long been known that you do need more roll stiffness on the front suspension, and that the rear suspension must have a less-stiff, lower-diameter anti-roll bar, so maybe thats how they got away with just zeroing out the rear roll bar. The front suspension was tasked with the entire job of anti-roll control, and if you make that stiff enough, it will reduce roll tilt while cornering without rear support.
  • Options
    kellz and wlbrown9,
    The Acadia/Outlook/Traverse/Enclaves are good choices for those needing the size. I once tried to convince Audi Q7 V6-version owners to switch to GM's offerings because I noticed the exterior dimensions are about the same between the Q7 and GM lambdas. Most of the arguments for the Q7 centered around "it must be better because its German". I think GM has a comparable product for less $$$$.
  • Options
    But it did have a front anti-roll bar, which can do a lot on its own.

Yes it does. However you said "anti-roll bars" which refers to both the front AND the back. That is what I was responding to and why I pointed out the Escape example. ;)
  • Options
    Most of the arguments for the Q7 centered around "it must be better because its German". I think GM has a comparable product for less $$$$.

MT feels differently. It's not directly compared to an Acadia in this article, but I don't see how the two could compare in any way after reading their take.

Your opinion may hold more water than theirs, but it certainly doesn't agree! :shades:

MT Q7 Long Term Verdict.
  • Options
    Interesting Motor Trend article you cited.
    Note they tested a 350 HP V8 model, plenty of power; not the V6 model. A lot of what they liked about it had to do with the good acceleration. The GM Lambdas do very well in the handling department but can't out-accelerate the Audi V8. Audi did a good job with that vehicle, but the GM Lambdas can be had for $10,000 less than an Audi V6 model (comparable model) and still provide 95% of the aplomb. And the Audio V8 version of the Q7is a $60,000 vehicle and can't be compared with the GM lambdas.

The car magazines should test a $40,000 Buick Enclave against a $43,000 Audi Q7 V6 version, and the Enclave might win or get very close.

And, in the Motor Trend article you cited, they like the Q7's aluminum suspension components. I have to point out that GM put aluminum suspension components in my parents 2000 Buick Park Avenue and Ford put aluminum lower control arms (big parts there) in my '05 F150 2wd pickup I got for $18,000 new, so aluminum components are in much less expensive vehicles, too. The current GM lambdas probably have aluminum as well, although I don't know if they do, as high-strength steel does very well there too.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I once tried to convince Audi Q7 V6-version owners to switch to GM's offerings because I noticed the exterior dimensions are about the same

Hmmmm....you could use this same argument to trying and convince a BMW 3 series owner to drive a Malibu, but I don't think it would work.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I read the MT Q7 long term test. $60K and it rattles like a 15 year old Hyundai :-). My impression of Audi vs GM would be "how much more for a major repair at say 60K-80K on the Audi than on the GM?" I know I can get a reasonable 60-72 month 90K-100K bumper - bumper real GM extended warranty, can you get that on the Audi? $30-$40K for a reasonably loaded GM is more my top.

Still trying to decide what to go with when I replace my Trooper, will probably keep the Envoy XL my wife drives for another couple of years...that covers the 6-7 passenger when needed and extra luggage room when traveling. I would love to have the 6-7 passenger hauler, but could probably replace the 5 passenger Trooper for quite a few $K less. I also need a minimum 3500 lb tow rating so that would probably leave out some possibilites that would work otherwise. As long as the Trooper keeps running I don't have much urgency to change...but I still get the new vehicle itch.
  • Options
    bobw3 said: "....convince a BMW 3 series owner to drive a Malibu...."

The BMW 3-series is one of those German cars worth the price. The Audi Q7 is not.