Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• driver735driver735 Posts: 14
    Prospective buyers of the nissan rogue should be aware of vibration issues coming from the cvt transmission. This is next to impossible to get used to. It makes for a terrible driving experience.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Thousands of satisfied Rogue owners would disagree with you. I have the same CVT in my 2008 Altima and had no problems adjusting to it from a V-6 Nissan Maxima. Oh, and have had almost 5 yrs of "trouble-free" driving..... ;) Not sure what "vibrations" you are experiencing. Perhaps you do have a real problem, I don't know. Did you not notice it during your test drives?
  • zeeboyzeeboy Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    Local street flooding is a problem in my area.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,587
    edited July 2012
    Really, you shouldn't be trying to go through flood waters in any vehicle. If you don't get washed downstream, you'll hydrolock and destroy the engine.

SUV's water fording ability

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    I thoroughly agree with Steve's comment about driving through flood waters. I'll add that CUVs are generally intended for softroading (grass/beaches) & driving through snow v. true offroading and plowing through creeks & other deep water.

My AWD Mitsubishi Outlander GT has a minimum of 8.5"; most of it's more like about 11". But I still wouldn't drive through a flooded street unless it was visibly shallow and even then I'd probably crawl through as to not splash or create a wake.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Why 2WD only?
    It's just localized street flooding until the drainage system can catches up.

Sometime challenging for a passenger car, but trucks and higher profile SUV's don't have any problem.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    $14.7k sounds like a bargain, congrats! :shades:
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Didn't get it! Went back the next day and dealer was packed so left. By Monday the car was gone! No big deal as I wouldn't have been able to get a mechanic to look at it until Tues. Oh well, the search goes on....now zeroing in on the 2012 Equinox....
    You still lookin' at the GT? If they deal down that's a lot of car for the money.
    Looks like the CX-5 is the highest 4x2

Think the redesigned RAV4 is going to get lowered like the new CRV

Don't know if I can handle the stiff ride/road noise from the Mazda although the m.p.g. looks enticing
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    How 'bout the upcoming Subaru XV Crosstrek? Impressive 8.7" clearance. It's AWD, not 4x2, and still gets 33MPG highway. Should be out in a few months.... it's based on the excellent new Impreza, and has had excellent reviews on its ride quality and handling. Power is adequate, not fast.
    My sister shopped one so I drove a CX5.

Ride and road noise didn't even bother me. The engine's one size too small. You have to floor it to get moving and then it's loud and you get almost no results besides the noise.

That plus the back seat was small. Fold the rear seat and it hits the front seat back. You have to slide the driver's seat forward to do that.

Cargo area was decent but they should have put the seat a couple of inches farther back.

We drove the CX5, a Mazda3, then an Impreza, all back to back on the same night. You may be surprised but the Impreza's back seat is the roomiest by far. It's also the quietest of the trio.

She owns an 03 Forester and decided to keep it for now, much to the dismay of the CCB thread regulars. :shades:
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    "You have to floor it to get moving"

Really?
    Sorry, I was exaggerating.

You floor it and you get a lot of noise but it doesn't really get moving. Using the word "moving" was too generous. :P

I apologize for that.

(on my 3rd Mazda, none of them as slow)
  • olegigolegig Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

Just purchased my first Rogue, in fact it is my first "small" vehicle. Been driving Yukons an PKup trucks.
    I live on a dirt and gravel road so clearance was an issue, the Rogue does fine.
    After a short break-in we pulled a small trailer and road bike to Casper, WY from Amarillo, TX with no problems at all. Had no problem staying with the 75+ traffic on I-25. Got 17 MPG.

Left the trailer and bike at Casper and toured Yellowstone then back to Amarillo. Avg 29 MPG
    At Casper we picked up son and daughter-in-law. I let him drive and tested the back seat with my wife. I was impressed and fully satisfied with the room and view from the back seat.
    Had no problem getting in or out. I am 5'7" and about 230.

The CVT was a great mountain highway auto, going up or down easily with no operation, sound, or vibration issues.

I note in previous posts the mention of a longer, or better warranty on some competitive models. At purchase I was able to purchase the additional 100,000 mile warranty for the Rogue and still be under cost of other makes which have a 100,000 mile warranty.
    In truth, on those models which offer a long warranty, the buyer is still paying for it.

Seems all makes of small SUV's are beginning to look just alike, wife and I cannot tell them apart.
    The Rogue looks different (except for its big brother Murano) and we like that.
  • Seriously Driver735, I don't mean to bash you anything, but this is an SUV its an all wheel drive crossover and not your grandmothers Cadillac. If you want something that is smooth ride go with a Mercedes or a Lexus. Its Nissan they can only do so much in terms of ride quality whilst still giving you the ability to afford the vehicle. So if you want something that rides smooth get one of the previous mentioned brands or go to an altima or some other car that is meant for ride quality, but you are right a car should drive smooth however a Rogue is an SUV not a car.
  • driver735driver735 Posts: 14
    In reply to grizzlybear1, kindly note that have owned 2 ford explorers that did not exhibit the vibrations and grumbling sounds that is prevalent in the nissan rogue. The rogue is not meant for people who enjoy the fine driving qualities of an an automobile weather it be an suv or a car.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    This review is strictly from a non small crossover owner viewpoint (Our current vehicles are a 2000 Taurus with 24 Valve DOHC V-6 and a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with base V-6, both bought new)

We recently drove a four cylinder base Rav4 with 30K miles on it, with all wheel drive for a Southwest Vacation. Put over 2000 miles on it over three weeks, in varying conditions, desert, Las Vegas, and visiting National parks in Southwest Utah. Got 28.6 mpg overall, which I was happy with.

Basically, the vehicle was mostly acceptable in driving and handling performance with a few things I really didn't like:

This base model had inadequate lumbar seat support and no lumbar adjustment available. My back ached after half an hour or so each time.

Large blind spot created by wide and fairly upright A-pillar. Several times I missed seeing pedestrians and other vehicles for a short period as this A-pillar blocked the view.

Ridiculous placement of the outside mirror control on the console. Should be on the dash or driver door left of the steering wheel.

Door armrest, while shaped nicely, had no padding and was of different height from the one on the console.

Too many stalk mounted controls, likely an issue with most foreign brands. I could get used to these, however.

Four speed automatic downshifted abruptly and often on mountain inclines. I was frankly astonished that Toyota has stuck with a 4 speed as late as 2012 model year. Obviously this 4 banger had marginal torque under these conditions and a smooth shifting 5 or 6 speed would have helped immensely. It was acceptable in normal everyday driving however, and would be acceptable if I drove it primarily in my home location of Wisconsin.

By and large, my old Taurus with over 100K or our Grand Caravan with about 56K are more comfortable drives than this RAV4.
    edited May 2013
    The new one got a much needed 6EAT.

Even the old V6 had a 5 speed.
    edited May 2013
    Good review - hopefully Toyota has made some comfort changes with the new generation RAV4 that came out in 2013.

I would have missed the room in my minivan but I can pack "lighter" if I need to.

CR complained about the base seats in the new one. They recommend the loaded models to get leather, but then complained about the mid 30s price.

They also mention your elbows end up on hard surfaces.

It's reviewed in the issue that just came out, I got it yesterday.
    Not a good sign. I'm getting more sensitive to seats as I age; the van is about perfect for me for comfort on the road.

Me too. Will definitely take a longer test drive before buying my next car.

Thing is, you only get sore after a bit of driving. Everything is OK for a 5 minute drive.
    Yep, but good luck finding a 2013 RAV4 to rent for a day. Some dealers will let you take a car overnight and that helps a lot - probably kills a lot of potential sales too.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 904
    You must have better seats in your Quest then we had in our Villager, my wife and I both couldn't stand those seats on long drives. Ours was a base model, though, that was the last stripped vehicle I 'll ever buy.
    Our '99 is a base GXE. We're both "average" size and both of us think ours is real comfy. It's lots better on trips than our old Outback. The '05ish Buick the in-laws have bothers me after a short while too, even when I play with all the power seat buttons.

We lucked out with the van since we only tested it for maybe 15 minutes.

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    I forgot a couple of other items I did not like about the 2012 Rav4:

Way too much airflow into the vehicle when everything was turned off. I realize all automakers allow a small amount of air in to avoid CO liabilities, but this thing felt like the fan was on all the time.

The radio display washed out frequently in sunlight. It really needs a hood over it to shade the display.

The side swinging door seemed to get in the way a lot when loading cargo. I see Toyota switched to a vertical gate with the 2013 model. Good move.

All in all, the seat discomfort was the most nagging problem.
    edited May 2013
    I'm used to hatches so the side gate is a deal killer. I still remember what a pain it was swinging the spare tire out of the way to get to the back of my old '74 CJ-5.

I'm with you on the airflow too - I like being able to turn the vents off, at least the dash ones.

(btw, one fun part of living in the UP is getting the chance to drive through our old Wisconsin stomping grounds a couple of times a year. It took a while but we finally found the house we rented for a semester in Madison in '84 or so. The Tercel we had then is long gone and we never got another Bucky Badger sticker. :shades: )

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Doubt seriously if you will find any true "Crossover" or SUV that would 100% suit you. And certainly not one that leans more toward an SUV.

This is Not a "Compare a small 4wd 4 cylinder SUV to a plush Wallowing boat, close to the road worthless on anything more than a smooth hard road" forum.

This is a "Crossover SUV Comparison" forum. So what 2 or more Crossover SUVs are you and "Host" comparing.

Thanks,
    Kip