Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Infiniti G35 Problems

sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
Well...I have had my 2007 G35 Sport for all of 2 weeks now, and I have had to bring it in to the dealer two times already. I wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem or if anyone knew what exactly might be going wrong. so here is how the problem began.

I was waiting in line at a gas station for a pump to become available when all of a sudden the Check Engine, Slip, and VDC lights came on. I turned off the car, filled up the tank, and when I restarted the car only the check engine light remained on. I made an appt. to bring the car in, and the night before I was to bring it in, while I was driving, the car felt like the engine just shut off. I realized that the engine was still "on", however it was just idling and when I stepped on the gas nothing happened...I was just coasting. I pulled over, shut down the car, and re-started and it drove, but the check engine light was still on. I went to the dealer and they told me that they needed to replace a sensor...on the paperwork it said they replaced the left throttle body. Fine, everything was working for about a week, and then when I went to go get gas again the exact same thing happened. Same gas station, same situation, same result. I'm wondering if there is something to do with the gas fumes or vehicle exhaust that is causing the problems? And if so, if this is going to happen everytime I go for gas, it's going to be a REAL problem!! Anyway, the car is at the dealer again, so hopefully they will find a different fix that works this time, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's very unfortunate that this is happening, because I spent a TON of time and effort to get the deal I got and I really like the car.....when it's actually RUNNING!!! I hope that a resolution can be found soon because I don't want to become a G35 basher :(

Comments

• rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Humph.

I'm having a problem with the auto trany in my 2006 Coupe. You said the engine was idling but you had no power; are you sure it was the throttle body and not a valve body they replaced?

By the way, it seems unlikely it has anything to do with proximity to the gas station; that element of the event is probably just coincidence.

Roll
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Well...according to the paperwork it said left throttle body. And I know that it seems like coincidence, but it wasn't so much the proximity, but basically the exact same series of events. Waiting in the gas station with a bunch of cars, and then the engine rpms flutter and the lights come on. Seems strange to me that a brand new car...with a brand new throttle body would have the same problem the exact same way and it be coincidence. I'm wondering if there is some sensor or something that should have been replaced the first time and because it wasn't fixed it just had the exact same problem.
    So, I've had my car for all of 3 weeks now, however it has been at the dealer for about half the time for repairs. I'm a huge fan of the car, but I'm a bit disturbed right now at the factory's inability to give an ETA on the arrival of the necessary part. After bringing the car to my original dealership for a check engine light, they determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. They did that, however the exact same thing happened under the exact same driving contitions and the check engine light came on again. This time, I brought it to my local dealership since the original one where I bought the car is an hour away. This time, I was told that the ECM computer needs to be replaced as that was the cause of the original problem and also makes the car unsafe to drive (it could shut down while driving). The car has been at the dealer for a week now and they can't even get an ETA from the factory as to when the part will ship/arrive. I've already begun a complaint with Infiniti Consumer Affairs, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should try?

At this point, I'd love for them to just give me a new car, but since the availability of a Sport w/ Nav and tech was already nearly impossible to find in all of California, I think this will be a lost cause. What do you think is appropriate to ask for in compensation from Infiniti...some free maintenance services? Window tinting? Etc.? I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    If you get anything it will be at the Dealers discretion and probably along the lines of preserving customer good will.

I understand how you feel but there is no agreement I am aware of that will compensate a customer for down time while the car is in for repairs. You are in a loaner? If so, I think that is about all you can expect.

Roll

Unless..... can you get the dealer to take one out of a car on the lot and replace it with the new one they ordered for you?
    Yeah...they did give me a loaner and at least it is an 07, but it's still just a base model and I'm still making lease payments on a fully loaded sport model. My problem is not so much with the dealer, but I think that Infiniti corporate should bear some responsibility...especially since they are the ones who can't seem to get any info to the dealer about parts availibility. And I asked about taking one from inventory, but they can't/won't do it. I'd just assume that if it has to be replaced anyway it should be new too. Hopefully things will get worked out...maybe they will give me some free future maintenance or something. :mad: :cry:
  • jimlacoursejimlacourse Member Posts: 14
    I just had to laugh when I read about your problem with your G35. Let me just say I can't wait to get rid of this car. Here is what I did, go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov or call 888-327-4236 and then tell the dealer what you did, watch his attitude change.
    Jim
    Well...while I thank you for your response, I think the difference is that I can't wait to get my car back? I had an 03 G35 with no problems other than the brake issue which was quickly fixed. I am very understanding that problems will come up, I just want them taken care of in a timely fashion. Fortunately, I've been informed that I will be receiving some compensation for my troubles.
  • houston35houston35 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a notable hesitation with their 2007 G35 six-speed when accelerating in 3rd, 4th or 5th gears at an RPM (2500-3500) that should produce NO delay when you step on the gas?
  • black07xblack07x Member Posts: 3
    Car wouldn't "wake up" in the grocery store parking lot. I was sitting in the drivers seat with the "intelligen key" in my pocket. I tried to start the engine and nothing happened, the key warning light was lit. Owners manual gives very little advice. Got in, got out, locked the doors, unlocked the doors, nothing... After about a minute of nothing it just woke up. Anyone else have a similar experince? I'm afraid I'm going to be stranded somewhere without a manual start backup option.
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    The "Intelligent key" has an actual key inside it, I thought you could just eject the key and start the car for when those situations arise. did you try using the physical key?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    There's no place to use the actual key...but you can insert the whole remote into the intelligent key slot to start the car in case the remote died. However, I'm not sure if it's worked in this case...may be there's something wrong with the remote, computer...
    I tried the key slot, didn't change anything. I've only had the car for a week so the battery shouldn't be dead. I'm going to try the other remote for a few days. Talked to Lupient Infiniti service department, where I bought it, they would like me to bring it in, but unfortunately they are the closest dealer at 240 miles away.
  • jaf5460jaf5460 Member Posts: 15
    Does your state have a lemon law? If so you could get a new car or a refund. in my manual it came with a lemon law book/ manual on the procedures to file a clam. i live in NJ :lemon:
  • tennisguy1006tennisguy1006 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

Naughty or nice??? (06' Coupe 6MT) If I am naughty, I will get about 280 miles for the tank. If I am nice, I can push a little over 300 miles for the tank. How about everything else???
  • nefariousbcnefariousbc Member Posts: 6
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I just started noticing this. It seems to happen for me when I downshift into third or fourth and give it gas. I wouldn't really label this as a problem though.
  • bucanolebucanole Member Posts: 18
    Is anyone else having their new 07 Sedan sport idle about about 2000 or higher everytime they start it up in the morning? I'm in Florida and it's garage kept so there should not be any weather effect?
  • robkanerobkane Member Posts: 4
    8 weeks owned, 3 weeks in the shop and about to go back a second time.

About a month in, we started having the 'passenger seat airbag off' sensor light up. additionally, the airbag icon on the dash would flash. also, the lcd and dash would flicker between daytime and night. All this wouldn't be so bad (yeah, it isn't great either), but the kicker is the airbags are completely non-operational with this warnings display, so that is a show-stopper for me.

Took it into the local dealership. It took 3 weeks (and a tech supposedly from Japan) to fix the problem. We had the car back a week and the lights are back on. They have a new airbag module on order, whatever the hell that is.

Anybody else heard of this? Do I have any recourse?
  • rxgal74rxgal74 Member Posts: 2
    I couldnt agree with you more. 04' G35 with all the typical expensive rotor/braking problems and poor customer service. Been there and done it- ~60 days left on my lease and counting......my money's on BMW this time around.

good luck.
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Member Posts: 29
    I'm having the same issue. Noticed it yesterday. Went away for the weekend and started it up last night and it idled at just over 2k rpm. Did the same this morning. Also in Florida and the car is garage-kept.

Noticed this morning it did not seem to run smotthly at slowe speeds in traffic. A bit rough on the down shift as the speed decreased. Typically when running between 20-30MPH in stop-n-go traffic. Anyone else notice this?
    Haven't heard of that problem, but I recently had a ECM computer problem that unfortunately involved a lengthly repair time. All is good right now and the dealership was very nice, but be sure to contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs and let them know about the problems...especially if you have been out of the vehicle for 3 weeks. They have been pretty helpful with me in getting some compensation for my time lost from my vehicle.
    I noticed something like that in a loaner car I was recently driving (under 1k miles). Seemed to go away when the car warmed up a bit, but I didn't really pay that much attention to it. Definitely interested to see if it's a regular problem.
  • bucanolebucanole Member Posts: 18
    I don't think it is to serious, but I also don't think it's something normal and that should be occuring in a new car. I won't be taking the car in specifically for this reason, but if I happen to take it by there for say the car wash and/or oil change I will definitely ask the dealer and provide my feedback.

For the record I am still under 1K on the car so it may just need to be broken in.
  • tonkfantonkfan Member Posts: 1
    Greetings All. Currently 350 miles on automatic transmission Journey. All is well except on hard acceleration, when there is a very noticeable clicking sound that comes from under the hood. It goes away as soon as I stop accelerating. I don't know much about engines, but it sound to me like the clicking sound that valves make. Does not sound like pinging to me, and am using premium 93 octane fuel. Anybody else notice this or have some clue as to why it is happening? Is this normal?
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Member Posts: 29
    It may indeed have something to do with the car warming up. I noticed the strange feeling at slower speeds when shifting when driving the car Monday morning after not having driven it all weekend (out of town). I do not seem to be experienceing the same feeling today. Everything seems to be more smooth. I guess I'll wait to see if there is a repeat when there is a similar gap between driving. for the record, car only has 400 miles on it. Like someone else said, could also be part of the break-in.
  • im2kleenim2kleen Member Posts: 7
    Hi sprinkler13,

Yes i can relate to you cuz i have a similar situation with my 2006 G35 coupe i brought brand new this past dec.

My Infiniti G35 Coupe Experience

My sister recommended Infinite because she had heard of their great cars, customer service and prices on 2006 models. When I arrived at Infiniti South Bay, I was exhausted after working a 12 hour shift and dissatisfied with Nissan Wilmington customer service regarding repairs to my 350Z although I love the quality and performance of the vehicle. So I had felt Infiniti was the next level and I was well aware of the G35 coupe. I expressed my concerns to my Infiniti salesman and purchased a lease of a 2006 G35 coupe on 12/20/2007. Now I’ve had the car for less then 90 days and unfortunately I’m disappointed the luxury brand name of Infiniti has fell short with my 2006 G35. Below are my problems by number I have encountered with this vehicle during the total 57 days I’ve had it:

1.) Dash tire pressure alarm - Less then 2 hours after I brought the car the alert light indicating an issue with the vehicle tires came on. I called my salesman who informed me I most have hit a dip and I just need to add more air to the tire pressure specified on the tires. I immediately thought this was too must of a burden seeing I hadn’t even got home yet.
    2.) Trunk access button (outside) – Opening the trunk by the outside access button works randomly. Sometimes it works when the car doors are unlocked, sometime it works after using the remote and sometimes it works when trying to re-open the trunk but it ever works when expected. Also, something rattles when opening/closing the trunk
    3.) Engine Noise – There is a jack hammer or knocking sound coming from under the hood when accelerating.
    4.) Service engine soon light is on with less then 5000 miles on the car.
    5.) Check oil light is on with less then 5000 miles on the car.
    6.) 19” wheels make the ride uncomfortable and general feel of driving insecure.
    7.) Passenger seat belt – When the passenger side seat belt isn’t being used it knocks against the inside compartment resulting in an unease rattling sound.

My impression of the Infiniti brand was that of quality, performance and beauty. However, after being a G35 owner and driver its clear this car is just for looks. I now need information about canceling my lease.
    Well...I wouldn't go that far. As much as I've had a bad problem early on in my current lease, my last vehicle was a 2003 G35 which I had for 4 years without any problems. so, I'm hardly going to say that Infiniti lacks quality just because I've had a problem. My biggest problem is with the dealer who sold me the car as their customer service has been lacking and their maintenance dept. may not be as good since they weren't even close to diagnosing much less fixing the initial problem. The second time I took it to my local dealer and they have fixed the problem and Infiniti corporate is compensating me for my downtime, so all in all it will work out. I'm more upset that I lost a couple of weeks driving time in my car ;)
    Aren't the service engine soon and the check oil light just service reminders at certain mileage marks?
    typically yes...at least with the oil light, but the engine light should not be coming on that soon. If that light comes on it usually means that there is something wrong with the engine and it should be checked sooner rather than later.
  • g35mcg35mc Member Posts: 9
    So I've had my G35S 6MT for 2 weeks now and I am loving it. However, there are a few minor quirks/problems/complaints that I thought I would post to see if other people have noticed this or help potential buyers. Again, I love this car and would recommend to anyone, these are just things I have noticed ;]. No car is perfect!

1) Angle of the windshield/rear view mirror is strange. It creates a blind spot at times that I have never experienced in any other car. Was especially noticable on tight right-hand turns that have a downward slope.

2) Trunk button is finicky, tends not to want to work sometimes or was well as it should. Then when you do get it open you have no place to put your hands except on the chrome which preserves fingerprints quite well.

4) I have finger prints on all my doors/windows on the black molding. Easily remedied however by using the door handle to close like I should =).

5) While the transmission/shifting is great with the short throw, the clutch can be quite touchy, its very similar to my old 2002 BMW 540i clutch so it's really not a problem.

6) Engine noise - this one isnt a problem or a complaint. I really enjoy the sound of it but it can be quite whiny in 1st and 2nd gear. This is problably because I've never had a Japanese car/DOHC engine which has a totally different sound than european equivalents. If you are going from BMW->Infiniti like I did, you will notice it.

7) Low gear/low speed driving can be pretty jerky at times. I read the problems above about the higher than normal idle speeds and I'm going to keep a close watch on this. At low speed traffic/stop and go just a very slight let off of the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear and it will lunge forwards pretty good.

Those are the minor things I have noticed while having this car. None of which have really bothered me or were a cause for concern.
    1.) how tall are you? I haven't noticed that and I'm 5' 10", also how high is your seat?

2.) I noticed this too, I'm thinking it's because it's a small and hard pressured button and it's angled downward so it's a little hard to see when your close to it, I use my pointer finger and find that I'm 1/2 on the button 1/2 on the gap and have to push hard and roll my finger to get it to work. there's a definite feedback when you've pressed it, when I've reached that point I have never not had it work.

3.) (actually 4) Same here, but I get them when I'm exiting the car and closing the door, with my left hand I'm swinging the door closed as I roll my body out, there's 3 finger print patters about 1/2 way up the moulding on the window :) not sure what to do about that... other cars don't have any moulding like that, but those with skinny moulding probably hve the finder prints on the window. I don't think there's much that can be done about this.

5.) not sure I have the Auto sport

6.) I'm lovin' the engine noise, mine sounds much more like a v8 growl to me, I had Audi A8, Mustang and it has almost as deep a note, I havn't noticed any whine.

7.) for me in the AT I had this but realized how to fix it. the pivot point on the pedal is at the bottom, NOT on the top. the key to this is to make sure the heel of your foot is touching the bottom of the pedal, you might need to move your seat up a bit. When your entire foot is on the pedal you will see that it's VERY controllable, linear and smooth. the jerkiness comes from trying to work such a sensitive pedal with the tips of your toes and your brain thinking it's a top pivoting pedal. Try and I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about once your heel is touching the base of the pedal.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • karman3karman3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 07 Sport model, garage kept. It does the same high idle on first start. Guess it is the nature of the beast. Still getting use to it. Have driven GM products all m life, so some real getting use to the items I have been use to.
  • helmutrothhelmutroth Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 G35x and I cannot figure out how to transfer the phonebook from a Verizon VX8300. Was anybody successful in transferring a phonebook from a Verizon phone to a G35x?
    This is an issue with the phone not the car.

There's a lot of phones that wont transfer the entire phone book. but will only transfer single entries in the phone book.

You do it by sending the contact from the phone while the car is in waiting for phonebook download mode. It's not because the car won't accept it, it's because your phone won't send it. For my Razr, I highlight the contact, click the menu button, then at the bottom is a "send" when I click that it shows MY-CAR then I choose it and within 2 seconds it's now in the car.

I had to do this around 30 times to transfer the most important numbers.
    I don't agree that the issue is with the phone not the car. I own a Garmin Nuvi 360 and it downloaded the entire phonebook automatically when I paired it with the same phone.
  • neveroldneverold Member Posts: 4
    You do not state whether you have navi or not - it makes a difference. And it's not the service provider but the model phone - your LG VX8300 is not on the list.

Check the link below for the approved list of cells that work.

link title
  • jmannixjmannix Member Posts: 12
    Took a '07 out for a test spin and noticed what seemed like a bit of vibration in the shifter...quirk or problem?
    neverold,

Thanks for the link. Btw., I have a navi/tech package.
    If you view the link provide above, you will see that most phones do not support downloading the phonebook over bluetooth, which is a phone issue, not the car.
    kring5,

I still don't agree. If my phone downloads fine into the Garmin Nuvi 360, how is it the phone's deficiency, if the download does not work with the G35?
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    The R & T article that compared the 07 G, TL & IS made the same reference to the vibration in the shifter of the G.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Look through previous posts.
    The G has had issues with shifter vibration in the past.... and more so than the others mentioned.

I know nothing about the 07 manual, but heard that the issue was addressed. (I thought)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I still don't agree. If my phone downloads fine into the Garmin Nuvi 360, how is it the phone's deficiency, if the download does not work with the G35?

I'll give you a one word answer - VERIZON

Verizon hacks the functionality of bluetooth in all of it's models, so thay can nickle and dime us with their Get-It-Now service.
    Verizon Bluetooth doesn't support the transfer of files wirelessly.

King's works.
    If I was a bettin man, I'd say he was using a Razor from Cingular, or some other Non-Verizon provider. ;)
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    factfinder, is that R&T article you mentioned online and, if so, do you have a link?
    Yes I have a Cingular Razr. and I recently switched from Verizon's Razr 3 weeks ago. Verizon's software is terrible, I was amazed at how much better the software is on the Cingular Razr. And yes, Verizon's was completely crippled, you can't download contacts or sync to a computer with Verizon.
  • im_spartacusim_spartacus Member Posts: 11
    Same exact car '06 Coupe MT w/aero. Averaging 400 miles a tank. 350-380 if I'm naughty. Regardless, I'm driving 75-85 on the hiways 80% of the time and 20% in San Francisco. I've got 12,000 miles on the car. :)
  • jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    That's typical. First thing in the morning, the engine's cold, even if it's in a garage. The engine will idle higher in order to warm up faster. I wouldn't call it a problem unless the idle stayed high after the engine warmed up.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Yeb, I agree. All of my cars behave the same way here in the northeast.
  • dlp3dlp3 Member Posts: 2
    Unforunately I have Verizon. My G35 with Nav (on order)does not list v3m razor as compatible but it does list the v3c which is no longer offered by verizon. Do you know if the verizon v3m is compatible?