Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C Heating Ventilation

Comments

• heatertreaterheatertreater Member Posts: 50
    15 and 53 are both driver's side blend door codes and this aligns with your symptoms. The codes indicate that the travel of the door is too small when the more common code would indicate that the door is traveling too far(54).

It sounds like the door is broken, but jammed such that it is constraining the axle. Either way, the diagnosis is definitive for blend door failure. The only component in the system that differentiates the temperature between the passenger and driver's side is the blend door, so you can be confident of the diagnosis.

There is a professionally designed aftermarket fix for this problem that is easy to install and will make a permanent repair to the system. Search the internet for installation video's and a site with more definitive information.

HeaterTreater
  • blendorblendor Member Posts: 23
    Glad you took my advice. It is much easier to diagnose your problem by reading the fault codes first.

15 = Left temperature door not responding
    This is a current code that indicates the driver’s side blend door actuator motor problem.

53= Left temperature door travel too small.
    This is a historical code that indicates the driver’s side blend door problem.

The driver’s side blend door actuator motor is behind the glove box. Easy to replace.

You have two options for the blend door repair.
    (1) Discharge the air conditioner, remove the dashboard and HVAC box, replace the blend doors. Replace the HVAC box and dashboard, recharge the air conditioner. The job should be completed within one to two days.
    (2) Do an access hole repair. No dashboard removal, the job will be completed in approximately one hour.

Blen Dor
  • bajawillbajawill Member Posts: 1
    I have been having AC problems for the last few years with my 200 Grand Cherokee Limited, 6 cylinder 4.0. I cannot even remember how many mechanics I have had work on it.

First the heat works great, to the point you can melt plastic with the vents.

The AC, we hooked up to pressure tester it cycles from low/no pressure to in the red zone, and them drops in like 6 seconds, repeats over and over.

I had the ac fan replaced no difference, I thought it was the Blending vents, I took the control off and manualy turned it, still no AC all just heat.
    Oh codes show as 52 54 56
    Any idea's??
  • redtop2redtop2 Member Posts: 2
    Had to have the evaporator repllaced in 2002 8 cyl grand cherokee. Since then, there is a whistling/hissing noise in the dash when ac is on, every 20 - 30 seconds. Dealer tech says it's normal. Also, the condensate drain was blocked and my dash filled with water - had to have it back for that. I've never heard this before thru 3 jeeps or on this one before service. I just don't want to come back in 2 months with another expensive repair that was caused by this repair not being completed or being done incorrectly from the condensate line being blocked. Any ideas?
    You should have the proper equipment and follow the proper procedures to diagnose AC problems.
    There are a few sensors that control the AC output, not just the compressor.
    The next time take it to a professional AC repair shop – not just any auto mechanic.

After saying that, your fault codes of 52, 54, 56 are the three common fault codes for the 99/04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They do show a Possible reason why you are only getting heat.

You said “I thought it was the Blending vents, I took the control off and manualy turned it, still no AC all just heat”
    Does that mean you lowered the glove box, removed the actuator motor that is behind the glove box and that you turned the white drive connector?
    If this is what you did and when turning, you turned it completely around. Along with the fault codes of #54 & 56 would confirm that you do have a blend door problem.

You symptom of only heat, is very odd for a blend door problem.
    It could be possible but not normal as both the blend doors would have to be stuck in the up position, forcing the cold air to flow thru the heater core.
    They normally fall and block the air from flowing into the heater core. Causing the common No Heat symptom.

If your fault codes are correct. You will have to replace the broken blend doors. If you want to save on the blend door repairs, you could do-it-yourself using one of the aftermarket access hole repairs. Then see what is happening with the AC.

Changing the blend doors might not help your AC problem, but replacing the broken blend doors will stop a future NO HEAT problem when the broken blend doors come loose and fall down blocking the air from going thru the heater core.

Good Luck,
    Blen Dor
  • sethybobsethybob Member Posts: 2
    The clutch is sticking and at times won't engage at times without a little tap on the front of the pulley. Any recommended cleaning procedures for the clutch?
  • danierobdanierob Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Here is my problem. I have a 2001 GC Limited V8. About a month ago when I hit the ac button it lights up but all I get out of all vents is hot air. It never cools down. I had the coolant checked, thinking that I needed to fill it and I was told that it was full. I remember hearing something click on when I pushed the ac button, maybe the compressor after reading some posts. I do not hear that noise anymore. Could this be a relay switch or fuse or am I in for some big bucks to get this fixed. Let me stress that I get no cold air but hot air blowing out of the all vents.
    Thank you for any advice/help.
  • lugnut42lugnut42 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC V-6 w/ dual controls and when you turn the a/c on you can feel cool air but it won't blow. You can feel cool at the defroster, the vents and at your feet all at the same time. Is this a blend door problem? :(
  • bradc1bradc1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry if this question has already been asked. I just bought a 2004 Laredo with a 4.0L. Strange AC problem is happening. The AC LED intermittently goes out. If i press the rear defrost button twice, it comes back on! took it back to the dealer. They found a cracked vacuum hose, but the problem still remains. It doesnt do it all the time, but it always seems to comes back when i hit the rear defrost twice. when the light goes out, it blows warm air. It blows cold air normally when the AC light is on. Any ideas??
  • rlipcz01rlipcz01 Member Posts: 11
    My wife has a 2003 grand cherokee laredo. The problems are the 3 control Knobs that control your air.$450. includes control knobs and to be on safe side the expansion valve. included recharging the system....... It took us 5 years to figure it out..... :)
  • bradyrbradyr Member Posts: 4
    I have 2003 GC limited 4w quadratrac with a few problems and any help would be appreciated as the dealers I take it to care only about money and creating new problems for higher payments. I have had the vent problems and heating problems and replaced twiced in 2 years. Now the heat/ac and temp. settings work fine but I only get heat/ac from the defrost or floor vents. I was told I need a new control panel for 750. Dont remember code numbers but more or less the two motors werent working directing the air flow. Next, there is a constant clicking when the car is turned on coming from behind the driver side dash- dealer couldnt tell me what that was--kinda funny. Next- at low speeds when turning- there is a whinning from the engine- possible belt problem was my first thought--a second opinion would help and last- when on the freeways and hitting the sectional gaps in the freeways- I fell heavy vibrations through the floor- (like hitting a metal poll with another metal object- the vibrations that go through your arm and hand) possibly shocks or maybe stablizer bar if there is one. Any help regtarding these few problems would be greatly appreciated as I somewhat like to know whats going on with my car before I take it anywhere...thanks again and have a great day.

Bradyr
  • socaldonsocaldon Member Posts: 4
    Hi Guys,

I saw this question earlier in the thread but could find no replies. I have a 1997 JGC 4x4 V8 and, whilst the air conditioning seems to work, the air will only blow onto the windscreen. It doesn't matter what the control is pointing at - it refuses to blow air out of the vents.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Burbank, CA - a little toasty round here so help would be appreciated! :)
  • gerry914gerry914 Member Posts: 2
    1999 JLC no cold air coming out of the two vents on the righthand side of the vehicle. two leftside, and two center vents appear to be working ok. what do you believe is my problem, some one mention the vacuum hose on the rightside under the radiator filler bottle?
  • ulitimaulitima Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, what was the fix for your problem -
  • danielbautedanielbaute Member Posts: 3
    This is my wifes jeep... she was driving it on a very hot day recently according to her everything was working fine when all the sudden the fan stopped working. I found several posts about this problem that said to check the wiring harness at the fan controller/check for voltage/etc... the wire connector was slightly burnt and I could not remove the connector. Trip to the junk yard yielded a new fan controller and fan for a decent price and after replacing the parts it worked. However the AC wouldn't work. After reading more posts the common problem would seem to be a broken blend door, after running the diagnostics I got error codes 54 and 56 which are both door travel codes. So I got the new blend door repair kit from the dealer as the parts had all been removed on the jeeps at the junk yard and tore the dash out of her car down to the heater housing. I now have the dash completely out and I can see 3 of the 4 blend doors on the heater housing and none of the ones i can see are broken. I'm also unsure as to why the AC compressor will not turn on. I have a 99 grand Cherokee and I have tried the auto temp control panel from my jeep in her hers and receive the same codes when I put it in hers and no codes when its in mine. I've checked all the fuses under the dash as well as the fuse/relay box under the hood. I even swapped the ac relay with the horn relay and I still cannot get the compressor to run. I'm to the point I guess I need to remove the heater housing but I'm afraid i'm missing something simple. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • sethybobsethybob Member Posts: 2
    I removed the front portion of the clutch assembly which can be removed by simply removing the 10mm bolt. There is a washer behind this assembly that can be removed to move the clutch face closer together. Works great now.
  • compton3compton3 Member Posts: 1
    maybe the press switch on the low side the clicking was the clutch on com. working and the presure sould be in 100s when the compresure in not working or 40 to 60 when full and running

good luck
  • matt73matt73 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where the cabin air filter is on a 2001 JGC
  • topat46topat46 Member Posts: 20
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/cabinair.htm Not all GC's have them. Click on the attached link.
  • jdeatonjdeaton Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 01 Cherokee. Have you found the answer?
  • socaldonsocaldon Member Posts: 4
    Yes - it was posted in another part of the forum. There is a vacuum tube which you may see going from under the battery toward the firewall which then turns right toward the engine. Then a smaller tube turns left and goes to the ventilation control on the dashboard.

Find out where it has broken and fix it! Now have all the cold air I can handle.

Good luck!
  • redtop2redtop2 Member Posts: 2
    Nope - and the dealer keeps saying it's "normal". I've had people tell me the compressor motor will wear out quickly from the start and stop, but without the guy who made the repairs acknowledging it's a problem, don't know what to do - except vow to never get another Chrysler or jeep. We've had AC problems with every single one of them, and it's cost us a bunch of money. And they wonder why we don't buy American anymore...look what it does to us!!! We've never bought foreign yet, but that's probably going to change, as my husband is too tall for the Chevy and GMC SUV's - not enough headroom for him. We'll try them again next time - maybe they've made changes. Really frustrating - we hoped to keep this one until it died.
  • danielbautedanielbaute Member Posts: 3
    I found my problems... The issue was 2 fold... first the reason the compressor wouldn't kick on was that the car had a major ac leak (there is a pressure sensor that keeps the compressor off when there is not enough pressure in the system) and secondly the blend door towards the firewall that I couldn't see was actually broken per the stored codes in the ac control panel. The car has had a small leak for a while now and we've had to charge it about every spring for the past 2-3 years. We just charged it in late May so I didn't think it had time to leak out as its been almost as predictable as old faithful in about once a year but apparently the leak became really bad really fast. Thankfully the last time I charged the system I installed the UV dye freon and when I had the heater housing out to replace the broken blend door I checked the evap coil with a UV light and the special yellow goggles, it lit up like a Christmas tree. So how or why I had 3 simultaneous part failures or at least 3 within a very short period of time I do not know but now the whole system is up and running great. I will say I'm not a professional auto mechanic, I am very mechanically inclined however but removing the dash was fairly difficult and took the better part of a full Saturday and night to remove it and replace the parts and reinstall the dash. I actually took a couple weeks in real time because I had to get the evap coil and it took a while to get re motivated again but I saved myself, I'm assuming close to a grand over having the dealership fix this problem. I've read reports between $1,000 and 1,500 from the dealer for just the labor on this type of job so I feel accomplished and it's working great.
  • jthunt89jthunt89 Member Posts: 1
    I'm at the end of my rope and really need some help. My wife who is 5 months pregnant has a 2000 grand cherokee and the AC doesn't work. We took it to the local garage two months ago and they diagnosed the condenser fan was broke. We had that fixed ($500). Then a week later the AC was blowing hot again and we brought it back to them and they said it was the wiring harness for the fan that wasn't working so they clipped off the end and made a better connection. That worked for another week. After which I brought it to the Jeep dealership and had them diagnose it and they said it was the evaporator and we had that replaced ($1200). That worked for three weeks and then we brought it back to them and they said that the pressure was too high (375 lbs should be no more than 270 lbs) so they fixed that and that lasted for another week (no charge). We brought the GC back in today and they said there is a leak in one of the lines and to replace it is $400. They asked if I wanted them to order the part and I picked up the GC and said I would get back to them. I really can't believe this. Please help!!
  • shelley91935shelley91935 Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem back in 2004, 04/22/04 Carl Burger Jeep World $164.95 A/C not blowing out of center ducts, instead it is blowing hot air Removed battery tray and repaired vacuum leak.

I had another situation back in 01/28/06 Kirby Olds-Jeep Suzuki $13.08 Purchase Gasket and Thermostat (this is on the "if this happens to you" page of a service thing,... it was not on a "recall list" and of course not on a warrantly... that price was for the part itself and my mechanic at the time fixed it for free since I was getting a lot of work done at the time.)

Either one of these may fix the problem...or at least for a little while. I am having a problem kinda like this gain so I am going to my mechanic tomorrow because my a/c is now intermittantly blowing when I let off the accelation.
  • tom5571tom5571 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 JGC Laredo. I noticed a musty smell in the cabin, after much looking I found the underside of the carpet on the passenger side soaked. I have come to the conclusion that the condensate is not draining from the housing (the heater core is good). I tried cleaning the drain but with no joy (with a wire) I really don't want to dismantle the dash at this point. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone else had this problem? :confuse:
  • teacherspet123teacherspet123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a leak and the repairing is costly( $1200.00) to say it lightly. Has any one ever used Liquid Glass to stop the leak? My plan is to make a temporary fix until I can save up for it.
    Thanks,
    Rickey
    About all you can do now is bypass the heater core. You will not have heat in the cabin but it will buy you some time to save the money for the repair or gather what you need to do the job yourself. Sorry to say but the dash will have to be removed for this fix, plus the freon will have to be recovered. :cry:
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    on the bottom of the condenser housing there is a valley that extends from the front to the back of the housing

if you drill a small hole on the edge that faces the seat you can then clean out the botom of the valley with a wire the hole can be 1/2 inch so can get it cleaned out then find a rubber plug at peb boys that will plug the hole you drilled (would find the plug first then you know how bigto drill hole) BE carefull when you drill so as not to hit evap core
  • jgclaredojgclaredo Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know or have any suggestions as to what this problem could be- my a/c is not blowing much cold air at all. My heat works just fine (knock on wood), but my air doesn't seem to wanna blow cold air. I checked the refrigerant, and that is around like 40 psi- which is right about where it should be. So now I'm not exactly sure what the problem is? I've had this jeep for three years now, and am starting to have some problems w/ it. It only has 115,000 miles on it. I really appreciate any advice I can get.. Thanks!
  • goguengoguen Member Posts: 1
    If your blower fan relay which is derectly behind blower fan is not in place and secured properly you will have cold air blowing in from air box.
  • ubc64ubc64 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 1999 JGC with dual climate control. The problem I have is when I turn up the thermostat for some heat, I only get heat on the passenger side. I only get cold air on the driver side. I replaced the heater control unit with one from the junk yard and have the same problem. I can't believe that both switches have the same problem. A dealership I called said that it might be the blend door and that I would have to pull the dash out to fix that. Has anybody else had the same problem? Also, how hard is it for the backyard mechanic to pull the dash and replace the blend door? I'm unemployed and can not afford to take it to a dealer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    look on ebay for Blend door repair has a repair kit that you do through the glove box hole
  • heywood43130heywood43130 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to check a blower motor resistor on a 1997 jeep grand cherokee? I have checked the switch in dash, blower motor works when you hook up a ground wire and there seems to be power to resistor ( but it is below 12 volts) everyone thinks it's the resistor , but no one is for sure. The part costs about $70.00 and hate to buy it if that is not the problem. Before the fan stopped working completely sometimes it would not come on right away, it would come on after a few minutes. Any ideas? thanks
  • freekenreekenfreekenreeken Member Posts: 2
    That's weird i have the same problem with my 97 Cherokee. I wish I had an answer for you but I don't,sorry. What I did for right now is I hooked up a on off toggle switch to the ground side of the blower motor. I know that it's not the proper way to repair the problem but i need to get back and forth to work. Hopefully someone can help us out with this problem.
  • mark243mark243 Member Posts: 5
    I had my AC replaced in 2000 Jeep Grand Cher. While the dash was apart, had heater core replaced. I now have not heat. Heat worked fine before core was replaced. Any ideas?
    First thing check your fuses, second check the connector to your blower motor. (real easy to forget to connect) third check the connector to your blower motor resistor. My big question is did you do the work or did you pay for it?
    I paid to have it completed and have taken it back twice. I get the impression they don't want to spend the time to troubleshoot and have to pull the dash apart again. Good heat from hoses just very little inside - luke warm at best.
    If the blower runs then there is a good chance they didn't get the blend doors hooked up right. Yea pulling the dash apart is no fun but you can skip a few steps in the manual and get the same results. Since you paid for the job and are not satisfied and the system doesn't work properly the shop should be held accountable, DOG EM OUT
    Hello Mark243:

Before dogging the repair guy.

You should have an idea of what is wrong with your system.
    It might not be the repair guy’s fault.
    Coincidence does happen!
    It could be a faulty actuator motor, etc.

If you have the dual control heating system, then the first thing you should do is read your fault codes.
    You can also check a few problems manually.

The fault code system is an excellent place to start the diagnosing process.

IF you have the Automatic Zone Control system (AZC)
    The first thing you should do is check the AZC fault codes.

To read the fault codes:
    1. Turn on the ignition switch.
    2. Turn on the AZC system. The temperature settings should be displayed for both sides.
    3. Simultaneously hold down the AC and the Re-Circ buttons.
    4. Then turn the driver’s side temperature (Left) control knob to the right (CW) one click.
    5. Then release the AC and Re-Circ buttons.

If there are no fault codes, the “00” display value will remain in the window.
    If there are any codes, each will be displayed for one second in ascending numerical sequence. Once all codes have been displayed, the system will repeat the fault code numbers. This will continue until stop the process by moving the left side set temperature control one click in either direction, by pressing both the A/C and Recirc buttons at the same time, or the ignition is turned off.

Record all of the fault codes and also describe any symptoms you are having with your heating system.
    Like - Are you getting a good air flow thru your vent outlets?
    Can you direct the air flow to the different outlet vents?

Post your fault codes and symptoms.
    I’ll interpret them for you and advise you on what I think the problem is.

Merry Christmas
    Thanks for the offer but it does not have a dual control system. The mechanic who put in the heater core can't find a problem and said he may not be able to ever get acceptable heat back. I just don't feel comfortable with his ability after saying that knowing it worked fine before he took the dash apart.

The center vents seem to blow a normal amount of air but the side vents are very weak.
  • gregvsgregvs Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info- I did this and had error codes 54 and 56. Any idea what that means?
  • finlaykfinlayk Member Posts: 1
    I gotta problem with my 02 Grand Cherokee - the heating does not work. Up until yesterday it worked on the passenger side, a bit. But now it only blows cold air. All the vents work etc and the temp gauges but no hot air. Anybody any ideas?? I've been told I need to see a auto electrician but as its christmas I'm scratching round for money so a DIY fix is required.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    It sounds like you might have a problem with your blend doors, whether it be in the linkage or the actuator. Its not a quick fix. Be prepared to take the dash out!
  • heywood43130heywood43130 Member Posts: 2
    Hey you replied to my problem about the heater fan in my 1997 jeep. just to let you know i replaced the blower motor resistor and it still doesn't work! any luck on your end? please let me know , My wife is pissed!!
  • freekenreekenfreekenreeken Member Posts: 2
    Yo Heywood, I am still trying to figure out this heater problem my self. The problem is that I can't seem to come up with a wiring diagram for my jeep on line. I ran into an old friend of mine over new years that has access to wiring diagrams. All that I need to do is get to his shop to get a diagram. I will keep you informed once I figure out this problem. I got as far as figuring out that the problem is on the ground side of the system. I couldn't go any further without a wiring diagram. What I did find is that if I disconnected the ground wire from the heater blower motor and went straight to ground, (with the black wire that comes out of the BLOWER MOTOR) the blower will motor worked!!! So what i did was run the ground wire from the blower motor to a toggle switch under the dash so i at least have heat. The heater works only on high speed and only on defrost, but you can adjust the hot/cold switch. If you decide to try it let me know if it worked for you. At least you would have heat for know.
  • sp8ballsp8ball Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know more about the codes from the AZC system because my fan works intermittently......on various speeds as well as high. Usually it blows for about 3 to 5 minutes then stops. I can jiggle the wiring under the dash that connects to the resistor and get it going again. This leads me to believe that my resistor is working but my fan motor is worn out. My symptoms are that the wiring harness keeps melting (replaced harness once already) where the red wire connects to the plug that plugs into the resistor. I'm assuming the fan is drawing too much current and melting the wire/plug/connector.

How do I test the voltage my fan is drawing?
    How do I determine whether the fan motor or resistor is what's bad?

I will try the method above for getting codes first thing in the morning and reply ASAP. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • tbeckitbecki Member Posts: 1
    If you are from NP you need to reply to this message.
    Checked the doors on my '00 JGC - seem to be opening and closing. One heater hose is red hot, the other is luke warm. This is a new heater core. Can it be blocked? Any ideas?
  • lovmyjeeplovmyjeep Member Posts: 3
    My 00 GC does not have any heat, the heat works for about a second or two then it just blows cold air. The check valve, heater hoses and therm are all good what else could it be?