Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Engine Problems

Comments

• tamoltatamolta Member Posts: 2
    Just took my Versa in today for the same issue:

have experienced frequent problems with starting the vehicle. When I turn the key, the vehicle frequently cranks for 5+ seconds. Sometimes the vehicle will then start, and sometimes it will just die. This does not happen every time that I start the vehicle, and I have not been able to detect any pattern to help indicate when this will happen, though it generally does not happen when I first start it in the morning

They said it was the fuel pump and it would be ready tomorrow. After reading previous posts I'm becoming a skeptic. Has anyone found that replacing the fuel pump does solve the issue?

Jenv,
    Did you finally get the fuel pump?
    :confuse:
  • streakerstreaker Member Posts: 5
    I have posted here before that if I use any Ethanol blend, my Versa will have problems with warm starts (where the car is already warm due to earlier use). My car problem is a little different as it will occasionally crank for ever without turning over if I use ethanol fuel. I have to sit and wait for a few minutes then try again and usually I can get it to start if I do that.

If this is your problem, find the gas stations around you that don't use ethanol or use a high grade fuel (expensive but they are usually ethanol free) at stations like Shell and Petro Canada. I'm in Canada so those are some of my choices.

Streaker
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Do you know what the ethanol mix ratio is where you are? Where I live, Minnesota, a 10% ethanol blend is mandatory in all gasoline sold. You have no choice here. However, the E10 standard is very common in the U.S., and certainly Nissan would program the MCU/MPU to accept this kind of blend, as has every auto manufacturer who sells in the U.S.

Of course, if the MCU/MPU is malfunctioning, thus not being able to properly compensate for the ethanol mixture, you could have a problem you are describing. Bad MCU/MPS has been reported among the early-production Versas, so you may want to speak with your dealership about that.
  • acabossacaboss Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have problems with CVT? I have a sedan with 8,000 miles on it. Started acting up - and couldn't go in reverse. Took it to the dealer and they are replacing the entire transmission.

Just wondered if this was a rare problem???? :confuse:
    That sounds rare. The JDM Tiida (Versa in Japan) did have a recall earlier in the year for one of the CVT clutch hubs (could crack/break), but I did not think this recall had applied to the Versa.
  • tamoltatamolta Member Posts: 2
    I'm having fuel pump #3 installed today (12/12/07) in my 2007 versa. The 1st, (original) failed at about 5000 miles and the 2nd about 1700 miles later. Hopefully this 3rd one will last. Hope this helps... :confuse:
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Took it to the dealer and they are replacing the entire transmission.

I think that standard procedure with the cvt. any kind of problem will be dealt with by replacing the whole thing. I don't know if its because they're new and the engineers want to be able to look at the ones that fail, or if parts are hard to get, or few tech at the dealerships know how to fix them. But everybody who's had a problem (I haven't seen many) all have got a new trans.
  • cathy8cathy8 Member Posts: 37
    Update: Problems still exist a year later! Nissan Canada took my issues seriously though and in September replaced the ECM, IPDM, Throttle Changer and a few other fuel injection items. The bill was over $2000 to Nissan.

I had no problems during the warmer weather but now that it is winter again the problems have started. Here's a rundown of my last week:

Saturday, December 8/07:
    The car started but the engine light stayed on. When I pushed the gas peddle there was no gas going to the engine. It could be driven but was in safe mode. I shut the car off. There was a strong smell of gas in the garage.
    I waited 5 minutes and tried again. Car started fine.
    1/4 tank of gas. I filled the tank up. (I also filled up again on Wednesday when it was 1/2 full. I wanted to see if keeping the tank filled would alleviate the problems.)

Tuesday, December 11/07:
    As I was driving uphill over an overpass on the perimeter the engine started to race and the tachometer rose to about 3.5. Then it fell to normal of 2.5. The cruise control was on so my speed was constant at 90 KM.

Friday, December 14/07:
    I was driving at about 60 KM and the engine started to race. The tachometer rose to about 3.5 and then fell to normal.

Saturday, December 15/07:
    The car started but the engine light stayed on. When I pushed the gas peddle there was no gas going to the engine. It could be driven but was in safe mode. I backed out of the garage and drove back in. There was a strong smell of gas in the garage.
    I shut the car off and tried to start it again. It would not start.
    I waited 5 minutes and it started. The engine light came on and would not shut off.
    I shut the car off and waited another 5 minutes. It started but still the engine light would not shut off.
    The tank was just under 3/4 full.
    I drove to the gas station and filled up. The engine light remained on.
    I drove to Sobey's. It started fine but the engine light was still on.
    I drove to the other side of the city. After sitting for 4.5 hours it started fine but the engine light remained on.

I'm getting close to trading in the car. However, I just looked up the black book value and it has depreciated $6000 - $7000 in a year. Yikes! I'm not sure what to do. I need a reliable vehicle for cold winter travel.

Cathy
    Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about all the problems that you are experiencing. You are actually being very patient - I do not know whether I would give this many chances to Nissan.

I do not know the laws of your province, but is there anythinkg like what we in the U.S. call a lemon law that forces the dealership/manufacturer to take back your car?

My concern, as it appears for you, is that problems may continue to recur, and the bigger problem is that your warranty will eventually run its course and problems will keep happening still.

Yet, there is definitely the issue of taking a depreciation hit if you trade the car in. But I would be nervous to continue to drive a car like this if I were you. Yours may well be one of those statistical oddball, but it doesn't help to know that you are in that group, since you still have to deal with this particular vechicle.

No one can decide this question for you, but placing myself in your situation to the extent that I can imagine, I would ask thse questions if I were you:

1) Is there a possibility of a life-threatening danger?
    If you drive lots in the countryside and your car dying can put you in danger, that's a good reason not to stick with this particular car;

2) Does not having the car directly impact your earning?
    Do you run a business, for instance, for which a dead vehicle directly hits the bottom line, or force you to miss work if your car dies?

3) Do you have an alternative vehicle?
    Do you have another car to turn to while your Versa is in the shop, especially after the warranty runs out and if the dealership does not give you a loaner?

Everyone would put a different weighting on these questions, but if I were you in this situation, all these questions would weigh very heavily, and if 1) and/or 2) is "Yes" and 3) is a "no," I would get rid of my car.
    Thanks Jacksan, for an excellent reply. You've made some very valid points that are definitely food for thought. According to your weighting I should get rid of my car since I answered yes to 1 & 2 and no to 3. Last winter when I first experienced troubles I was hopping mad. I looked into whether there was a lemon law in the province (there isn't) and talked to the dealership about a new car. Unfortunately Nissan or the dealership wouldn't take it back.

I also called CAA to find out my rights in the situation. I was advised to work with the dealership to try to rectify the problem. If the dealership refused to work with me then I could apply for an arbitrator to mediate. If we could not agree then the arbitrator could decide how much my car was worth and the dealership would have to purchase it back. His decision would be binding. But, the dealership and Nissan have tried very hard to figure out what's wrong so I never applied for an arbitrator.

This morning my engine light was still on so I drove to the dealership before work. The service manager had received my detailed e-mail and forwarded it to Nissan. He scanned the car's computer and once again it showed a throttle problem. These parts had all been changed in September. The scan turned the engine light off and the car drove fine all day. Now I'm waiting to hear about Nissan's next plan of action.

I've checked out some alternative cars and there doesn't seem to be much to replace it with. The Yaris doesn't come with cruise control. The Fit doesn't have a height adjustible driver's seat. I'm short and couldn't see over the stearing wheel. I'm not crazy about Ford or GM. Do I take a chance on another Versa? I don't know. I love the car but sure don't want to buy another lemon.

Cathy
    Cathy, my wife, who actually drives a Honda Fit, is 5' 2", and she says she is very comfortably able to drive her Fit. Of course, everyone's body configuration is different, with no such thing as "Anyone above this height can see well," so the Fit may not work for you.

Trying another Versa is a possibility. The chance of your hitting another lemon is pretty small, I would say. On an emotional basis, I personally would have a hard time giving another chance to something that has given me plenty of grief, but on a more objective level, you would have to be might unlucky to hit upon yet another unreliable Versa.

According to Consumer Reports, the surveyed Versas are reporting the reliability level of "Average." JD Power & Associates has reported basically a very poor reliability score for the Versa. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the earlier production Versas suffered from a number of problems, whereas the later Versas have shown significant quality improvements. It is possible that the samples for JD Power were front-loaded with earlier production units, whereas the Consumer Reports survey samples were more evenly spread.

Do you need a hatchback? If not, Honda Civic may be a good choice. The Corolla and Matrix Station Wagon will be all-new in the early part of 2008, and they should be pretty good. If you need a hatchback, maybe a Scion can do it for you.

The Versa is a good car. I drove one a lot in Japan, where it is called the Tiida. It is really too bad that you have had to suffer so many failures in your car.
    Does your wife have the 16" wheels on her FIT? I'm wondering if they would make a difference in how the car feels. I love sitting up high in the Versa and not feeling like I'm sitting on the ground.

I had no idea that the Matrix and Corolla were coming out with new body styles in early 2008. I just did an Internet search and saw that the Corolla is getting bigger and the Matrix is getting lower and becoming a hatchback. I like the look of the Matrix but being a first year model I'm rather leary.

I tried the Civic last year when I was looking for a car but because it was bigger than previous models I didn't really like it. I'm very much a small car person. I've owned Civics since the 70s and my 2002 was a real disappointment. At 70,000 KM suspension problems showed up and even though Honda paid for the first fix under warranty I had to pay for 2 more before I got rid of it at 125,000 KM. The best car I owed my 1992 and I had it for 10 years.

I dont need a hatchback but just wanted a change from my usual 4 door sedan. Unfortunately the Scion isn't available in Canada as I've heard good things about it.

I still like the Versa best. If I could be assured that I'd get a good one I'd buy another in a flash.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Cathy
    Cathy, sorry that I have been gone for a while.

My wife liked being able to sit up high on the Versa as well. We actually drove a Tiida (Versa) in Japan, and really liked it. We were looking forward to getting one in the U.S., but were disappointed to find that very few USDM Versas were available with ABS (not an issue for the CDM Versa). That to us made the Versa a vehicula non grata, unfortunately.

So my wife turned to the Fit, which actually worked out well.

Hers came with 15" wheels. The Fit sits upright, and that is probably why she, at 5'2", seems just fine. But everyone is different in the most comfortable way to sit in a car.

How are you doing with your Versa now?
  • happyjack4happyjack4 Member Posts: 1
    Try lightly "power braking" (step down on the gas while still holding the brake). But don't get crazy with this...take the rpm's up to about 1800. Does the noise go away? If so, you may have loose bolts on your flywheel to engine coupling or between the flywheel and torque converter, if they are separate components (I don't know exactly how the Versa engine and converter link up...but sounds like that's where you should look first. I wish you luck. Nissan's "highly skilled" and "trained" technicians are sorely deficient in my opinion. I am a 56 yr. old Mechanical Engineer that grew up with my nose under the hood since I was five. Several times over the years I had to take a car back to the dealer on warrantee issues. After they repeatedly verified their incompetence, I usually fixed the problem myself. In one case I arbitrated a "Buy back". It was a Nissan ! The sad reality is...There are more butchers than mechanics in this world today!
  • skirby01skirby01 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Cathy,

My girlfriend had the same issue as you with the tach jumping. Eventually the car broke down and we had it towed to Nissan. It has been there a few days now and they now are sending reps from Nissan Canada to look at the car as they haven't seen the issue before..did yours ever get fixed?

Thanks
    Hi,

The Service Manager at my dealershop told me that it is normal for the tach to jump when the cruise in on. I don't believe this since it only happens sporadically and usually when I also have a problem with the car going into safe mode on start-up.

Let me know if they figure out what is wrong with your girl friend's car. They still have no clue what is wrong with mine.

Cathy
    I will let you know. Her problem is a bit more severe than yours by the sounds of it. The tach was jumping and the car was jerking but not only when in cruise. We drove from Burlington to Brampton and back (don't know if you know the area) and it got progressively worse. Then when we got back onto her street the engine light came on and the car stopped going! ..we had to tow it to Nissan...they weren't going to give her a loaner/rental because she didn't get the extended warranty but they decided she'll get a rental tomorrow...

It has been at the dealer since Sunday. They thought they knew what was wrong with it and replaced a part but that didn't do anything. Now they have to have some people from Nissan Canada come in to take a look at the car...no good!
    Well, it has been over a week and the car is still on the hoist! I don't know... She still has a rental car but I hope she gets the Versa back soon..can't drive a crappy Hyundai forever!
    She got it back! They still couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and ended up replacing the entire transmission! .. but she has it back now... so that's good...keep an eye on that tack ppl!
    How has the car been since the new transmission was installed?

It warmed up here for a month so I had no problems. Now that it is super cold again my starting problems have returned. When it happened on Thursday I was in the country and luckily was able to get it to start normally after first starting in safe mode. The engine light stayed on. I drove to the dealership in the city and once again the computer reading showed a throttle problem. They documented the incident, shut off the engine light and sent me on my way. The service manager advised me to start bugging Nissan Canada so that is what I'll do next. They didn't even respond to the e-mails that my dealership sent after my December incidents.

I looked at new cars over Christmas and there was nothing that really interested me. I love the Versa but would sure like to feel that I won't be stranded one day in
    -40. My warranty will be up at the end of 2007 but the dealership told me that they have enough documented evidence that it will honor my current problem after the warranty expires. I hope that's true if I don't have a new car by then.

Cathy
    As far as we know it has been fine...but she only had it for a couple of days then she went to Australia for a month..so it hasn't really been tested. The few days that she had it, it was pretty mild anyways but I am confident it'll hold up. I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan disects her transportation and finds out what was wrong. If you see a recall in the next six months that has something to do with the tranny, you can thank her! :P
    I phone Nissan Canada on Tuesday and wasn't particularly pleased with the response I received. I explained the problem that I've had for the past year and the woman was very snarky with me. She asked me what I wanted Nissan Canada to do about it!

I told her that I wanted it fixed but the dealership couldn't find the problem. She told me that it is normal for cars to have trouble starting in winter. I told her that mine starting in safe mode with the engine light staying on was NOT normal. She spoke with her supervisor and then told me that the dealership had to diagnose the problem and then Nissan would help with costs. I went through the song and dance about how they'd already had the car last winter for 2 weeks and couldn't figure it out. I wanted Nissan to help diagnose the problem. She told me that they didn't help with diagnosing and told me to take it to another dealership.

The conversation I had with her has really soured me on Nissan. It was a "too bad too sad" attitude. She intimidated that I had paid my money and now I'm stuck with it whether it runs or not.

Cathy
    That's horrible. I wanted to buy a Rogue but the whole experience with Nissan is making me second guess that. :cry:
    I am so sorry to hear that your car is again having problems, and that now Nissan is treating you really poorly. I know that you love your Versa, but if I were in your shoe, I would be abandoning Nissan altogether. First they gave you a product that is clearly not performing as expected, and second, they had the audacity to tell you that it's tough.

There would be many people out there who would say that they had never had trouble with their Nissans, and that Nissan had treated them fine. I would not dispute such claim, but in your case Nissan clearly has not treated you right, and your Versa remains unreliable. It would go against my principle to give any further chances to Nissan if I were in your position. They have had more than their fair share of that.
  • tat2zbyqtat2zbyq Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 Versa SL CVT ....I bought it oct 06 in SD now home in TN I have 80,618 miles on her ...I drive 300+ miles everyday and a 3100 round trip to SD each month... I loved this car was all I wanted and more only problem I ever had with it was the tire sensor which they still do not have one in stock to change it out....untill 3 weeks ago when all of a sudden on my way to work it started scream whining...like a 5 peed stuck in 3rd gear....so I skipped work and went straight to the dealer....he at first thinks its the TCM or transsmisson computer moduale...nope not that anyways Im sure they are not telling me everything but according to the shop mananger the only CVT trained Tech and also a regional Tech line manager all say its either the pully or the CVT belt ...problem is Nissan will not let you tear one down only replacement...Nissan USA basically said go jump in the lake deal with it yourself...they also said that there was no matenince record on my car.... but carfax has 5 matenence records from the dealer ship plus I have 29 reciepts for oil changes.... I really think NISSAN knows something is wrong with these CVT's and do not want to do a recall... I also found out that the dash panel I had to fight to get replaced was actually a recall....I'm just sick about this i loved this car...now I'm lookin at $4798.04 to replace a trannie.....dont buy a CVT... oh and according to nissan usa service rep thats not that much
    In Japan there was a recall involving certain lots of the Tiida (Versa in Japan) whose CVT hubs could potentially crack due to material issues. It never became a big deal over there, however. Generally speaking, Nissan CVTs have been reliable, but that is no consolation for any person, such as yourself, who is facing an expensive repair.

It all depends upon application (driving conditions, etc.), but 80,000 miles is well within the designed product life of today's CVTs. However, the same distance driven in your specific time period may not have been within the designed life parameter of the Versa's CVT.

Either way, I am very sorry to hear about your challenges.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I almost want to say "what were they thinking" designing a transmission with belts in it! Did they not see this would be trouble, like the rubber timing belts? If timing belts go out at 60K, why shouldn't a transmission with belts go out at 80K? Internal engine parts shouldn't be part of "maintenance"! It's certainly bad news for people who actually keep their cars for a long time. For people who trade every three years or less, it's less likely to be a problem except for people like me who buy recycled cars.

I also wonder was the dispatcher at Nissan Canada really being snarky, or was she merely asking what would satisfy you as far as compensation? It could make a difference to them whether they were asked to replace an engine, an engine part, or a whole car. I think I'd write out what the problem is, what was done to fix it so far, and what you feel needs to be done. That may be all they're asking.
    I find it rather daunting that a belt went in your transmission. Before I purchased my Versa the salesman told me that a belt would never have to be changed in the CVT. Of course he was somewhat right since they just can't change the belt they have to change the entire transmission!

I agree with you about the cost. That's a lot of money.

Cathy
    I'd be curious to know what type of problems people were having that indicated there was a problem with the transmission.

Every once in awhile mine revs really high and seems to speed up when the car should be slowing down. i.e. going up a hill or stopping for a light. I thought the speeding up was my imagination until I ran into a young girl at the dealership who was having the exact same problems as I've been having. Her car too has had problems starting in safe mode, engine light staying on, engine revving fast and car speeding up. Being young and her first car she thought this was all normal until one day she tried to drive in safe mode and couldn't drive more than 20 km/hr.

We both bought the car when they first came out and the first time hers acted up was the day before mine did in December 06. When we met, I was at the dealership because the Service Manager had asked me to come in because they wanted to try something on my car. His tech contact at Nissan thought that maybe moisture was affecting one of the sensors (don't know which one) so they took it out and checked for signs of moisture on the wire. There was none. Then they packed the wire with oil and reinstalled the sensor.
    I almost want to say "what were they thinking" designing a transmission with belts in it! Did they not see this would be trouble, like the rubber timing belts? If timing belts go out at 60K, why shouldn't a transmission with belts go out at 80K?

The timing belt and CVT belt are both "belts," but the former is a resin/rubber belt and the latter is made of steel. Timing belts are known wear-and-tear materials, whereas the CVT's steel belts are supposed to be semi-permanent.

Of course, the operative expression is "supposed to," because CVT belts have either snapped or loosened up in some applications. But problems are not unknown for traditional automatic transmissions, either. Given very severe driving conditions and/or a high mileage, anything has a potential of braking. That is why transmission repair shops can make a living.

Having said that, I do acknowledge that a high lifetime mileage is at this time a yet-to-be-seen zone for many a CVT. CVTs have been successful in Europe and Japan where most cars rarely experience the kind of lifetime mileage figures that are known in North America.
  • tarazactarazac Member Posts: 1
    I know that this is over a year later, but I have recently been having the same problem starting up. It doesn't have all of the time, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to start. My dad wants me to take it to the Nissan dealership, but I am not so sure that they could help now.

I got my Versa in October 2007 and didn't have one problem until last month or so. I have been pretty happy with it except for this start-up problem.
    Definitely go to your Nissan dealership. The more people reporting the problem the better it will be. When I have trouble my car will start in safe mode. That is, the car will be running but when I put my foot on the gas it will not accelerate. It is as if no gas is going to the engine. Then I will shut the car off and sometimes it will start normally and other times it takes many tries. Today it happened again and it was so hard to start after the initial safe mode start that I feared I wouldnt get it going at all. Finally it started. Watch for the safe mode start. I've only found one other person who is having the exact problem as me.
    Update on Problem:

On January 31/08 the dealership removed the super multi function connector and packed the wires with dialectic grease. The theory was that moisture was getting onto the wires and causing my problems. The wires were checked for corrosion and there was none. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem as 3 weeks later the car again went into safe mode when I tried to start it. This time it took me numerous tries to get the car going but the engine light did not stay on beyond the safe mode start. In the past the engine light had remained on after the car had started normally.

On March 3/08 I called Nissan Canada and spoke to a different rep than my first call. He was very attentive to my concerns and became even more so when I told him that I was applying for Arbitration if Nissan could not resolve my problems. He said that he would send my concerns up and that someone would contract me in 2-3 days with a resolution. I have not heard a word from Nissan. On Monday it will be 3 weeks since my call so I will phone again.

Yesterday the dealerships Service Manager called to tell me that across North America there have been reports of starting problems with the Versa. Nissan is now going to tear apart the fuel injection system on a car at Nissan to see if it can find the problem. I had my fuel injection system replaced last September but this did not fix my troubles. Perhaps a faulty part was used in my car initially and then a new part used in the fuel injection fix was also faulty. Who knows.

I'll keep you posted. Before applying to Arbitration I have to prove that I tried to work with Nissan on the problem. Not having had a response in 3 weeks will certainly work in my favor.

Cathy
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Service Bulletins 2007 Nissan Versa

New entries announced in forum Latest Uploads
    Allowances: 0 files/0 used

Keyword Filter None a/c a/t airbag brake child chrome cleaner compressor cooler crank dressing dtc flat fogging fuel fuse headlamp headlight hood juddes key leak lens lid lock mil nats noise p1614 p1615 paint power pressure registration seat sensor socket srs stains starting steering timing tire towing tpms transmission valve wheels window Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Sort by Title (ascending) Title (descending) Hits (overall) Hits (30 days) Hits (7 days) Hits (24 hours) Date created (ascending) Date created (descending) Rating (ascending) Rating (descending) Submitter (ascending) Submitter (descending)
    Entries
    NTB08-033
    ALL NISSAN; TIRE PRESSURE INFORMATION

The air pressure inside a tire can change due to several factors, such as:
    • Ambient temperature change
    • Tire temperature change due to driving conditions
    • Altitude change
    • Natural pressure loss over time

Discussion Thread 03-12-2008
    Hits 21
    127.66 Kbytes
    Keywords: pressure tire

NTB07-094
    2007-2008 NISSAN VERSA; LONG CRANK TIME
    BEFORE ENGINE START

The engine needs to be cranked for a long time (4-10 seconds) before the engine starts.
    And
    Fuel system pressure after engine shutoff drops lower than 200 kPa (29 psi) after 30 minutes time.

Discussion Thread 03-12-2008
    Hits 2
    225.69 Kbytes
    Keywords: crank starting

NTB08-032
    2004-2008 ALL NISSAN MODELS WITH TPMS;
    TPMS SENSOR SEAL LEAK

When repairing an air leak at a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) sensor seal, a seal is now available separately.

Discussion Thread 03-11-2008
    Hits 12
    41.02 Kbytes
    Keywords: leak sensor tire tpms

NTB03-074b
    -REVISED-
    2001-2009 ALL NISSAN MODELS; EXTERIOR LAMP FOGGING

Customers may notice water in the exterior lamps. Customers may think that this condition is a defect in the lamp. However in many cases some amount of moisture is considered normal. 02-26-2008
    Hits 134
    323.27 Kbytes
    Keywords: fogging headlamp headlight

NTB06-079a
    1996-2009 NISSAN MODELS WITH ENGINES: VQ35, QR25, QG18, GA16, VQ40, VK56, MR18, MR20; DTC FOR VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL FUNCTION

The MIL is on with any of the following DTCs stored:
    P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P1110, P1135,
    NOTE: The engine may also have Camshaft Sprocket rattle noise and/or other engine noise. 01-25-2008
    Hits 562
    50.84 Kbytes
    Keywords: valve dtc timing

NTB08-016
    2007-2008 NISSAN VERSA; CHILD SEAT INSTALLATION ISSUES

A lower portion of the fixed seat back makes it difficult to install a child restraint system (CRS) into the LATCH system in accordance with Vehicle Owner’s Manual and CRS instructions.

Discussion Thread 01-22-2008
    Hits 4
    307.62 Kbytes
    Keywords: child seat

NTB08-011
    2007 NISSAN VERSA; MIL “ON” WITH DTC P1615 OR P1614 OR P1610 STORED AND ENGINE MAY NOT RESTART WHEN COLD
    The MIL is “ON” with any of the following codes stored:
    • DTC P1615 or P1614 or P1610.
    AND
    The engine does not restart in the following conditions
    • The vehicle sat for several hours (cold soak) with outside temperatures below -12º C
    (10º F); and
    • The vehicle was then driven for a short period of time (5-10 minutes); and
    • The engine was then turned OFF for a short time (5-10 minutes); then
    • The engine cranks but will not start and the MIL illuminates with DTC P1615 or
    P1614 or P1610

Discussion Thread 01-16-2008
    Hits 6
    48.21 Kbytes
    Keywords: dtc mil p1615 p1614

NTB08-008
    ALL NISSAN MODELS; INTELLIGENT KEY / NATS KEY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES

The Service Procedures for the following will no longer be in Technical Service Bulletins:
    • NATS Key registration.
    • Intelligent Key registration.
    • Steering Look Unit ID Registration

Discussion Thread 01-12-2008
    Hits 81
    53.93 Kbytes
    Keywords: registration nats key

NTB99-060c
    -REVISED-
    ALL NISSAN MODELS; PAINT SWELL/STAINS/SPOTS UNDER PAINT GUARD FILM

In an effort to protect the paint finish, Paint Guard Film (PGF) is applied on each new Nissan vehicle.
    Paint Guard Film (PGF) is a temporary white plastic protective film that is applied by the factory to the horizontal painted surfaces of the vehicle. The PGF protects the paint finish during vehicle handling, transportation and storage from harmful elements such as acid rain, iron particles, bird droppings, tree sap and other environmental contaminants.

Discussion Thread 12-21-2007
    Hits 124
    75.00 Kbytes
    Keywords: paint stains

NTB07-071
    2007-2008 NISSAN VERSA; THE FUEL LID AND/OR HOOD WILL NOT OPEN
    You are unable to open the fuel lid and/or hood because the cable detaches from the cable
    bracket.

Discussion Thread 10-04-2007
    Hits 13
    121.71 Kbytes
    Keywords: fuel lid hood
    VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN 2007 NISSAN VERSA HATCHBACK; BELT TENSION SENSOR CONNECTOR
    Nissan has determined that on some model year 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback vehicles, the connection for the wire harness may have been damaged during manufacturing. If this connection is damaged, the Occupant Detection System may not operate correctly. If this occurs, the red air bag warning light will come on and the passenger side frontal air bag will not work. Driving with a non-working passenger air bag could increase the front passenger’s risk of injury in a collision. To correct this condition, Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Recall Campaign to replace the connector for the front passenger seat belt tension sensor with a new one free of charge.

VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN 2007 VERSA; BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR CAP
    Nissan has determined that the brake fluid reservoir cap on some 2007 model year Versa vehicle fails to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 135 "Light Vehicle Brake Systems." The standard specifies, among other things, certain brake fluid reservoir labeling requirements.
    Thanks for posting the tech service info. Unfortunately my problems of the car starting in safe mode and the engine racing aren't addressed. Nor does there seem to be a fix for the cranking issue that so many (including me) are having. It just mentions the problem but not how to rectify it. Hopefully they'll figure these things out soon as my patience is wearing thin.

Cathy
    Pleas just bring the number of the bulletins to your dealer and the should be able to fix your virsa's problems this is just a problem with first year cars verry few have this problem early production run cars have this problem hope this helps thankyou so mutch Marco
  • jpg11124jpg11124 Member Posts: 2
    not being much of a gearhead, but definitely obssesive compulsive, i decided i was going to change the spark plugs on my 2007 versa...oh what a fool i am..first off, i wanted to put these pulsar plugs i read about in, because they said they could boost my mileage, which has never approached the 40 mpg as advertised for highway driving, (although i think the k&n air filter helped give me a couple more miles to the gallon, suprisingly)....anyway, after taking off more parts than i could possibly think imaginable to actually get to the spark plugs, (which i couldn't get out anyway because they were down in a hole as long as the one alice in wonderland fell in), and wedging a socket in there that i was luckily able to retrieve, i put it all back together and contemplated my next strategy. after reading the manual more thoroughly, i realized one of the steps that was supposed to be done was draining the coolant....draining the coolant to change spark plugs?....what the heck!...i put everything back together and the car runs fine, so i guess no harm no foul, but now i'm worried about the coolant thing...i've driven the car about 80 miles since then, and it seems fine..ultimately, my questions are, what's up with draining the coolant, has anybody had any experience with these plugs, and where in the heck can i find a socket that'll reach into the never ending chasm..(i went to snap on's site, they had one for 36 (yikes) bucks, but not in stock...any advice?...(no, i can't afford a shrink)
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    my advice would be, let a trained mechanic handle it. cars have pretty much got to the point where you really need to know what your doing, and have the right tools to do anything to them. even something as simple as changing spark plugs.

I think the days of the shade tree mechanic are about over.
  • jpg11124jpg11124 Member Posts: 2
    i bought those plugs myself, went to change them, and never drained the coolant....i was all the way down to the actual plug hole, but didn't have a socket that would fit...i was doing the same exact thing as you mentioned...why drain the coolant?...i got to the plugs, but since i couldn't get them out with the socket i had, i gave up and put it back together...i'm kinda freaking out about the coolant thing, but nothing came out when i took the manifold off, and it ran fine when i put it back together
  • motorridermotorrider Member Posts: 8
    originally I posted under general since I did not know where to post -- at that time I told of the car going into high revs, the speedometer dropping to zero and it feeling like the car was in neutral -- this happened at freeway speed -- step on the gas and no power

this happened twice, we took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission -- got the car back on Tues and on Saturday it did it again -- nearly causing my wife to be run in to -- while on the freeway -

since the dealer was open on Saturday we took it back in -- well there are codes set in one of the ECMs, but they don't know why its doing that - with only 15,000 miles I am not impressed with the CVT trans

we were given a rental versa with a the regular 3 speed and I like it much better - but it also has the problem of the low pressure tire lite - which we have had replaced twice now. --
    I will further update when I get more info
    Wow..thats brutal!
    Well, here is the updated -- they now replaced the TCM and the car appears to be running fine - however, my wife has lost all sense of confidence in the car since she had 3 possible accident causing situations - the third after it was so called fixed by what Nissan Tech Headquarters said to do

which as mechanic I would have changed first just because of the what happened

I know that all vehicles have problems - but some just are more serious in nature especially when the Head Engineers can't diagnose it and need to be dealt with differently instead of make the change do an around the block and call it good.
    Thanks for the update. I hope the Versa works okay now. I can sure understand why your wife has lost confidence in the car though. My problem is different but I've lost confidence in mine too.

We don't have lemon laws in Canada but we do have arbitration so I've just applied for that route. I'm waiting to hear when the hearing will be with Nissan, an arbitrator and myself. I'm asking for Nissan to buy back my car since they've tried numerous times to fix it with no success. I love the car but it's no fun having one that is unreliable. But, if they're ordered to buy it I have no idea what to buy as a replacement. All other small cars that I've tried pale in comparison when it comes to comfort and amnemities.

Cathy
    Hey I red Your message. SO They replaced your tcm and the car is driving fine now. I think that is what they should have changed in the first place. They really did not nead to change the trans. the was probbly a bulitin out on the tcm I think YOu should be ok now I would not worry about it to mutch. I no it is going to take alot of convinsing to your wife but she will be fine. Let me no how the car keeps on dooing. and hear is a web sight if you have any mor problems with this car witch I dont think you will it is a grate car. The web sight is Nissan Help.com That is Y YOu never bye the first moddle of a car or the first year when a car is re dizined You dont bye it till that seccand year it has bin out. I hope I have helped you sorry about my spelling Thankyou so mutch Marco.
    Hey Cathy. SO you are still having the same problem with your virsa. So you are going to apply for abrotation you have to do what you have to do. I would tell them to give you a new virsa and I think you will be fine. if they want to keep a customer they will do that with no questians asked. You will not have any problems Like you had with your 2007 virsa with the 2008 virsa. That is Y you never bye the first year of a car when it first cumes out Just so you no for your next car doo alot of sirtching on the internet this sight is a good sight to start. Look how menny years the car you want to get has bin out. The honda fight has had sum problems to look on the honda foram and the toyota Yaras also. No car is Parfact. anyway Yea the virsa is still a good car. I was in one the other day the car moddle not the hatch back moddle. I think My dad will be getting one real soon he loves it. it is the secand year so I think we should be ok. I hope I was able to help you out just sum input from me. Have a verry good day cathy keep us updated. Marco. Ps it is good that Nissan has tryed to Help you out. SOrry about my spelling I no it is not the best Marco.
    Unfortunately, asking for a new Versa isn't allowed as part of the arbitration process. I'd be happy with a new one since there is nothing out there that I like better. I've been researching the FIT and the Yaris and am disheartened by the problems with them too. I want my 1992 Honda Civic back. I had it for 10 years and never had a problem. Plus I got 47 miles to the Imperial gallon. It was a great little car.
    Hey Cathy SO you would not be aloude to get a New virsa Man that is a shame Maby You could make sum deal with them or sumthing. Yea I no what you mean every car has its shair of problems. Maby you should try out the Nissan Sentria. or the Nissan altima 4 sil. boath those car's are a bit mor money. or just get a nother Sivick. but evan the sivick has sum problems to you no. You will have to take your chance with any car. I dont no how mutch they will give you for the virsa but that is nun of my bizness anyway. They are just going to fix it and sell it to sum one elce most Likely. O the other car you can look at is the Toyota Matricks. has all wheele drive Think Not shore if they have it whair you live. Sorry I cant help you with bringing the 1992 honda sivick back. if you dont mind me asking Y did you get rid of that car. Was it at the end of its life. Keep us updated Cathy have a real grate day Marco. Sorry about my spelling Thanks.
    Unfortunately my 16 year old totalled my 1992 Civic so that was the end of that car. Then I bought a 2002 Acura EL and sold it after 4 years because of the suspension problems. That experience put me off of Honda. Now Nissan isn't very high on my list. It sure is a crap shoot buying a car these days.
    well, to keep the wife happy, we no longer have the Versa so my stay at this forum has been short -- up until that problem, the Versa was fine -- it was my first Nissan even though I had come close in the past to buying a Datsun 30 years ago