Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    All is well with the D" flashing. the problem was the 4th gear switch/valve in the transmission. they replaced the part for $265 and flushed the trans for $159 and the Pilot is running great.
  • carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    Can I simply drain and fill the rear diferential fluid myself. I watched a mechanic do it on a lift years ago and thought that was all he did. Does the fluid need to be hot, is the plug the size of the end of a 3/8" rachet or extention and will the rear differential hold the entire gallon of Honda fluid?
  • jetrockerjetrocker Member Posts: 4
    We've had our 03 Pilot since new in Nov of 02. The car has been wonderful and the best car we've owned EXCEPT the auto trans. It's a piece of junk. Poor shifting, flashing lights, axles and seals broken and leaking, tranny replaced with rebuilt at 60K (Honda did pick that up however to their credit), then recalled for tranny fix, an axle support broken, and now....this replaced rebuilt transmission, at 116K, is leaking and dead also! The dealer is scratching his head and will call Honda tomorrow about anything they can do, but I'm extremely unhappy with the Honda Motor Company. I've had it with this car, and I will be VERY hard pressed to buy another new car from them. The RAV4 and Forrester are on my list to check out, no question. My advice is to unload your 03 Pilot if it's over 75K, so you don't face a killer tranny repair!
  • skc1962skc1962 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 Pilot in my driveway now with 94K on it. Sale contingent upon hubby and mechanic's approval. CarFax says trans replaced by Honda dealership at 84K. Was covered under Honda certified warranty. That owner traded in 6 months later. Mechanic drove all weekend and didn't notice any transmission problems. Thought I'd done well, especially with brand new rebuilt transmission, but now am wondering. Will new trans take care of the problems you others are reporting? Once it's new, shouldn't I get another 100K out of it? Seeing post by jetrocker scares the heck outta me. Had started to rethink the purchase and look at spending another 4K on 2005 cause I want rear airbags, but looks like Pilot trans not 'Honda reliable" in any year, so maybe I'm better off with one I know has been replaced? And sucking up another 4K IF if goes out on the 2003. I HATE buying a car!!! Consumer reports says nothing about these difficulties!
    Sorry to rain on your great find. I am only a data point of one so I can't say for sure what you may find with yours. However, my judgement...again just based on what I have, and have heard, is that the tranny replaced in your car should be good for another 60K or so minimum. I think that you are taking some risk by assuming it will be good for another 100K. Again, based on me only! Also, keep in mind that most likely the replacement put in your Pilot was a "rebuilt" or "reconditioned" transmission and not a brand spanking new one. It surely has the recall fix as well, but again......it's not like it never ran in a car before. When they replaced mine at Honda at 60K, that's exactly what it was. Bottom line is I think this transmission has an inherent design deficiency. It may have been fixed in later years, but I have no idea.
  • bob11bob11 Member Posts: 18
    Hi my Honda pilot 2003 has 185000 miles. It's having problems starting. A few months back it had transmission replaced. After a few weeks of that the break switch died. Car had to be towed cost me 500 overall in rental car charges and repairs. Here are some questions

Is it worth it persisting with this car?
    The dealer said starter might need replacing. It's about 600$
    it needs timing belt replaced. That's another 500$
    do you think the starting problem and break switch failure have anything to do with the transmission change.
    Thanks
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Same old Honda tranny but rebuilt ... probably won't last longer than the first one.
    I would trade it in around its 48K mi service before it acts up again. So far we are hearing tranny problem reports from 2003 and 2004 models.
  • az2003pilotaz2003pilot Member Posts: 1
    MY 2003 Pilot gave me the flashing "D" light last week. After replacing the battery[needed one], the computer reset and cleared the flashing light. Upon a very quick test drive the check engine light and flashing D came on again. Our Pilot has about 79,000 miles and is still under our certified used Honda power train warranty. We had it towed to our Honda Dealer this past Saturday.

UPDATE: Received word today that Honda will be replacing the transmission with a "REMAN'd" transmission, on Honda's dime.
  • steve7221steve7221 Member Posts: 2
    My Pilot is a 2004 with 115,000 km (71,000 miles) on it and the orange maintenance light is on, most times I can't shift into D3, D2, D1 and several times (but not consistently), the green "D" has been flashing. My non-Honda mechanic suggests the transmission is about to go and I'm taking it to Honda to check, first. Otherwise, driving it, I have no problems with the transmission or anything else.
    Can anyone else shed some info on this, please?
  • steve7221steve7221 Member Posts: 2
    Are you located in Canada or the U.S.?
    I'd like to be able to use your post as leverage with my dealer (Canada) if necessary.
    Dealer said they'd replace the tranny again (2nd one dead at 116K), but only pick up 25% of cost. I pushed on them and had the service mgr talk to the zone rep several times......now they've agreed to 50%. Having it done of course (no choice), but I'm pretty sure we will move to a new car soon after. Looks like the Forrester is our pick.....7 yr/100K drive train warranty and the 4 wheel system is fully mechanical instead of electronic system like Honda. I'm sadly dissillusioned with the Honda Motor Company now. Never thought it would happen.
  • xx123xx123 Member Posts: 1
    There seems to be a littany of problems with the transmission in the 2003 Pilot from what I read. I am in the process of getting a rebuilt transmission in my 03 Pilot at 95000 kms (about 60000 miles) but just after the 5 year warranty has expired at a cost of $4500. Honda must be aware of the problem by now but will do nothing. I suggest anyone with an 03 Pilot get an extended warranty or get rid of it before the warranty expires.
  • bellmi6413bellmi6413 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Honda pilot EX-L and the check engine light turned on. I took to a mechanic and have it diagnose. There is a code P0730 Incorrect gear ratio, Is this a sign of bad tranmission also? I was driving one time and the rpm went up for some reason I push on the gas pedal but the rpm keeps on going up for about 5 minutes, this happen about 3 to 4 times now, is this like a transmission shifting problem. I bought this new and it only has 93,0000 miles. Please help
  • chitowndfwchitowndfw Member Posts: 1
    The same thing is happening to my 03 Honda Pilot, did you find anything out?
  • pbasshampbassham Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2003 Pilot a year ago and now I'm having all of the same problems that are being talked about on here. Downshifting to 1st and 2nd gear at different speed limits, green drive light flashing, now it's acting as if it jumps into first gear when you slow down. We've already put a $1000.00 into it and now we don't know what to do with it. I still owe double what the car is worth because I was screwed when I bought it (my mistake)! Now I have a car that I can't drive because I'm not putting my kids into something that unsafe to drive. On another post I read that Honda has replaced some of these transmissions, but what do they do when you buy a used one and are unaware of this defect and you don't have every single documentation they are requiring showing that's it's been to a Honda dealership 10 thousand times???? Please Help!!!
  • pbasshampbassham Member Posts: 2
    How do you get them to replace the transmission because I took mine in and they denied knowing anything about the transmissions being defective. Please give me some ideas...
  • mark4262mark4262 Member Posts: 1
    That happened to me , then I started having problems with shifting, and now my transmission needs to be replaced. It will cost me $3526.96 to get this done (refurbished transmission from Honda). I have $160,000 miles on the vehicle. The service guy also told me that since I didn't get the transmission fluid replaced at the Honda dealership, (at Jiffy Lube) that this would have invalidated my warranty if it had not already expired. I think he is lying , but I need to research this some more.
  • honhon Member Posts: 34
    What do you think happens when a car has 185,000 miles on it? It won't run for ever. That's alot of miles for anything. TIME FOR COMPLETE REBUILD: Engine, Trans., Brakes, Rear end, Front end, actually, :sick: :cry::( everything.
  • baltovetbaltovet Member Posts: 9
    Sorry, hon.........but you're wrong. My 2003 Pilot has 221,000 miles and it doesn't need an engine rebuild.......or any of the other things you posted. I put Amsoil full synthetic in a few days after I purchase the vehicle, and have used nothing else since. I burn a bit of oil, but it's not visible while I drive. The transmissions in this car ARE bad, as mine had to be replaced at 138,000 mi. And, I've had some problems with it since. The rest of the car is well maintained, and as such will be expected to last me until 350,000 mi...................at which time I plan to use it as a backup vehicle to my hopefully new Masarati Gran Turismo.
  • ptankptank Member Posts: 1
    Transmission failed @ 113,000 miles on 2003 Pilot. My mechanic suggested I take it to the local Honda dealer and then call Honda of America to seek good will assistance. After being assigned a case number, was asked to provide service records. Since I am the 3rd owner, I decided to pay $30 and get a report from a big name company that rhymes with "Bar Snacks". With the report I was able to direct HOA to Honda dealer who performed scheduled maintenance on the Pilot before I owned it and, after 1 week, was offered $785 reduction off of $3245.37 replacement transmission cost. Not the best deal ever but I'll take it.
  • karenc3karenc3 Member Posts: 1
    I just filed a complaint with NHTSA as suggested by other posters. Description reads as follows:

"Transmission was slow to transition to 3rd gear while going approx. 30-35 mph. A few days later, the "D" light started flashing, but when car was turned off, it did not go on again. Took it to my mechanic thinking it was a "3rd switch" issue I had read about on car sites. My mechanic said one solenoid was cold, while another was hot. He took it to the dealer to run the codes and get a second opinion. The dealer says it needs a new transmission. My mechanic picked the car up and on the way back, it started shifting from 4th to 1st or 2nd gear on the highway. He said he almost smacked his head on the windshield it jerked so hard. This marks a very rapid decline over less than a week and after my mechanic thought the issue was not the transmission. I believe the car was part of the 2004 transmission recall which was serviced by a Honda dealer."

Question: For those who have gotten a rebuilt transmission, how long is it supposed to last? I just got a local quote in Arlington, VA for $2,450 installed w/ one year warranty. It sounds good, but I can get a low mileage used transmission for 1,000 less from an Internet site. That one has a 2 year warranty but has to be shipped and installed locally. It now seems like I have to pick the lesser of 2 evils. Any helpful comments are appreciated!
    -Karen
  • baltovetbaltovet Member Posts: 9
    My 2003 Pilot original transmission had essentially the same problem at 138,000 miles. I didn't know these transmissions were having a problem at the time, as the Honda dealer said this was one of the first he'd seen. I was quoted nearly $6000.00 by Honda, so I had it done by Aamco. Unfortunately, the particular one I used was not very reliable, and I had two torque converters fail after that. I now have 220,000 miles on the tranny, and it runs well, but does make a slight whine (which I can't now remember when it didn't). I realize it could go any day now, but I just keep my fingers crossed, and watch closely the fluid level. My advice for the repair is this: Whichever shop you use you check out first and try to make sure you have one that is on the Better Business Bureau list. You will have many fewer regrets if you do.

Larry
    My first "replacement" transmission from Honda, refurished by Honda, lasted from 60K miles to 115K miles........so it was good for 55,000 miles. Sad and pitiful. My "new" one now (replaced at 115K) has 3K on it and I worry everytime I drive the car that it's going to go again at some point. The new one downshifts at weird times, like if I'm going down a slight grade on the expressway at 60 mph and lift off the gas. Again I say...Honda should be completely embarrassed and doing anything to fix this design screw up......but they aren't. In fact, the service guy told me the zone guy "scoffed" when told that I thought Honda should pick up at least 75% of the cost of the 2nd replacement tranny. Unreal attitude and I just shook my head. And I'll keep shaking it as I buy a Toyota, Subaru, or perhaps Mazda next. Who needs this?
  • davidkowalskidavidkowalski Member Posts: 1
    American Honda is the most absurd malfunctioning machine of a company I have ever encountered.

I switched from an 01 Volvo to an 04 Honda Pilot specifically for the reason that I would not have to shell out so much money for repairs. I wanted something reliable so I bought the Pilot with 70k miles on it and then at 90k the transmission completely went out. There were no signs of it slipping but the engine light came on, so I was on the way to Honda when it just completely went out. It was towed to Honda where the mechanic quoted me 4258 for a new transmission. He did not check for discoloration in the fluid even though he was well aware of it being considered for a recall. I had it towed to another guy who looked at it said there was no jet kit installed and that it burned out due to heat damage to the second gear. Exactly the way it is supposed to burn out if it was under a recall. Now Honda is saying that it is not within the VIN recall, but my mechanic looked it and my VIN falls under the Odyssey recall which I am told is the same transmission. Any thoughts?

My original case manager would not call me back after leaving four messages so I escalated it to her supervisor. Her supervisor switched me to another case manager who was completely unreasonable. He started yelling at me and I told him I was recording the conversation and he immediately stopped and said that was against policy and hung up. I then tried to get in touch with the supervisor again but couldn’t so I left a message. I waited for three business days for her to call me back and then I called in trying to get the contact info for her supervisor which they would not give me. She called me back an hour later but nothing is resolved nor will I think it be resolved. Any advice on how to proceed or will Honda win on this one?
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    What state do you reside in? Some states like Ca have "lemon laws" which may help you to get some positive action. I am pretty sure that you must follow a procedure that will require you to contact a, then b, then c before you can get into the legalise.

If that happens then maybe a lawyer can help. We own an 04 Pilot and (knock on wood) have had no issues with it. I have played the 'game" of contacting a, then b, then c..... and finally something was done years ago to fix our problem on another car which owned.

Good luck to you and from our experience, just keep playing the game, go thru the procedure and see what happens, and lastly if necessary get legal help. Hope it don't come to that.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • jvan5jvan5 Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any luck with Honda? I have a 2004 Pilot and my vin # is not within the recall but having the issue with 2nd gear. Local dealer said nothing they can due and gave me a price of $3,940 to replace with rebuilt trans.
  • wdp1wdp1 Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem. My transmission coil failed and mixed the coolant with the tranny fluid. It destroyed the transmission. With parts and labor a local Honda dealer quoted me at $8,000! Filed a complaint with the BBB and NHTSA. Called American Honda, but no help offered because I was out of warranty. Anyone interested in filing a class action?
  • ddareddare Member Posts: 1
    2004 Pilot with 86K miles. A few months ago I noticed a hesitation (shudder) between 1200 & 1300 rpm. This happens very consistently whether cold or hot. I took it to the dealer, they ran tests, and proposed changing the torque converter. I have been reading about the EGR valve and wonder if that could be the issue.

Any comments?
  • showbizkidshowbizkid Member Posts: 1
    Just found this thread, and at least I feel better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat. My '05 Pilot LX began displaying shuddery 3-4 shifts beginning around 38K miles. Took it to the dealer then; they told me they could find nothing wrong and couldn't duplicate the behavior. They re-flashed the transmission computer EEPROM and reset it to factory default. All was well for about 400 miles, and then the behavior began anew.

The problem only happens under part-throttle acceleration shifting from 3rd gear to 4th. It goes away immediately if I ease off the throttle, at which point the shift completes successfully.

I now have 68K miles. Luckily, I sprang for the 10-year/100,000 mile extended warranty at purchase, and I am now going to pursue this problem with a vengeance until it is fixed. This is my wife's primary vehicle and I do not wish her or my son to be stranded or hurt because of it.

(My personal car is a '63 Studebaker. This, I can fix myself. There are no computers within a thousand yards of it.)
  • howardeatonhowardeaton Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem at the 1100 RPM level. I hear a grinding noise. When we drive around town in the lower gear we do not have a problem. We have been doing this for around 15K miles. Our 2004 now has 90K. The Honda mechanic told us that it was the torque converter and that the transmission needs to be replaced. How much did they say the torque converter would be and can they just change that part out with out changing the transmission. Let me know what you found out about the EGR and will that fix the problem. Hope to hear from you soon.
  • mybingmybing Member Posts: 2
    I just encountered the same problem with the VTM-4 and transmission lights with the rumble. Can you share what you did to fix it. Thanks.
  • mybingmybing Member Posts: 2
    D,
    Any luck getting an answer to the VTM-4 / transmission / rumble issue?
    Thanks,
    Mybing
  • tirianatiriana Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Honda Pilot EX-L had exactly the same problem at just under 90,000 miles. The torque converter was the problem, but Honda had redesigned the torque converter and transmission so a simple replacement was not an option. The local dealership gave me a quote of $3800 and change and offered no help whatsoever. I appealed to the service manager to contact Honda but was give a flat 'No!'. I contacted Honda USA directly and was able to relay my experience and was treated very well. In the end Honda USA paid 35% of the bill. While I wasn't pleased that the tranny failed before 90K, I was treated well and they did help some despite the car being well out of warranty.
    Imagine my consternation when, only weeks later, the transmission refused to engage Drive after backing out of my driveway! I took it back to the dealer who looked at it and said that they could not duplicate the problem. One of my classmates from tech school replaced the transmission, so I know it was done correctly. I think it is a linkage problem (internal or external). Just yesterday it decided not to fully engage Drive after leaving the driveway. After shifting back to Neutral and then to Drive it worked normally. I am leaving it at the dealership tonight for appointment for tomorrow to see if it will malfunction when cold so my friend can tell me what is wrong with this thing.
    This definitely the last Honda automatic transmission I will ever buy! The standards seem to be bulletproof but the automatics stink.
  • familyautosfamilyautos Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. Did you have any luck with Honda? I would be interested in filing a suit since I have had no luck myself
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    Tranny on my '03 Pilot needed to be replaced at 37K miles...that's right, just 37k (this happened 2 years ago). I was just outside of the warranty, but luckily Honda picked up the whole bill, and it didn't cost me anything. I tried to get them to extend the powertrain warranty to 100k miles since it was absolutely absurd that a tranny would last less than 40k miles, but they said no dice, and I should just be thankful they paid for this one (which I was). That was 2 years ago, and I have put a little over 20k miles on the rebuilt tranny they put in, and haven't had any problems...but I am still pretty nervous about it, especially given all the problems people seem to be having.
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    it's unfortunate that I had to join this forum and equally unfortunate that my first post will be another story of a shot '03 Pilot tranny.

Recently got the erratic down/missed shift on the highway. This one happened when coming back on the gas at about 45 mph in D. My wife (yep, family car with 2 young children in the back) also reported it shifting weird. I took it for a spin and it slips/hesitates on the 1st-->2nd shift, and the RPM's really race between 2nd & 3rd. D3 is a bit more manageable than D, but it's not pretty. Sometimes there's a hard clunk when coasting to a stop and reverse tends to take a couple seconds to engage. Wife reported a flashing D once, and I pulled codes P1750, 0730 and 0780. The 1750 was related to a pressure sensor and was the cause for getting my hopes up that it wasn't shot. Changed the 3rd/4th pressure sensors hoping for the best. No dice. I even ordered the shift solenoids because I just couldn't believe a Honda tranny could go this early. I've since sidelined it having luckily just bought a back & forth to work car...another Honda! Oh, own an Acura, too...

My Pilot has approximately 112K miles. 2nd owner - Honda Certified and dealer maintained by previous owner. It also had the jet kit recall and I serviced the transmission and rear diff twice in 40K miles of owning it. This is such a kick in the junk as I battled an EGR valve problem for over a year (I have the fix on that if anyone else has the MIL, VTM-4 lights and misfire's with codes around a steady 45 mph).

She's heading to the dealer tonight for official $150 diagnosis in which I know what they are going to say: "You need a new transmission". This is merely a costly formality on the road to the Honda Customer Service Hotline for aggressive negotiations. I will also be filing the above mentioned NHTSA and BBB complaints.

This should be at class action level. Again, there's no telling how many just purchased a transmission thinking it was something they did wrong. Like many before have stated, I bought a used Honda because of the renowned reliability. I've owned my Acura for 4 years (no drivetrain issues) and just bought an Element for getting around. This is depressing for those of us buying into that legendary reliability and I do believe they were just covering their a$$es with the 04 jet kit recall.

Bummed.
  • caesarboycaesarboy Member Posts: 4
    Hello; I am new to this forum and find it very informative....thanks to all for posting.

I have an 03 Pilot with 65K miles on it........to date I have had no trouble, knock wood, however my Pilot was included in the 04 recall and was repaired. (not replaced).

Is everyone who is having problems had their vehicle recalled and serviced and should I expect these problems as well?

I am a bit freaked out after reading all the posts.....I did have my trans fluid replaced as part of the 45K service but not since......I suspect I need to.
    As I stated, my Pilot had the jet kit recall done and I've double checked, it's there. There was a recall that went along with that early on in which 03/04 Pilot tranny's that had over 15K miles were supposed to have there 2nd gear clutch pack inspected for scorching. You can look those recalls up on this site and check the Honda Owner's Club site to see if those recalls were performed on your vehicle.

My transmission and rear differential was serviced twice in 40K miles since I purchased it. It hualed my wife and 2 young children in a very local town/highway environment. The only towing I ever did was pulling the smallest trailer u-haul rents with maybe 500 lbs of luggage in the back. That only happened once and my Pilot didn't even have a trailer package until I installed it.

I guess what I'm saying is, Good Luck.
    So, I'm having a little trouble locating the service history from the previous owner. When I was in the process of buying it, the seller gave me the name of the dealership he got it from and they confirmed for me that the transmission and rear diff had been serviced. I called that dealer back and now they say there's no record of them ever servicing my Pilot.

All I have to go on is the transmission recall that is listed on the Owners Link site and my records of service starting at 75K miles.

What do you guys think my chances are American Honda will pony up if I can't confirm it's service history before I owned it? Any pointers on how to attack this in general without geting laughed at?

Oh, anyone know of a resource for hunting down a used vehicles service history?

thanks in advance.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    If it is serviced by any Honda dealers they should be able to see it by seaching the VIN# even not serviced at its own place. Plus you can find them on CarFax.
    Most of the dealerships in the area where the car was originally registered only kept records for 3 years, including the one I'm positive told me my tranny had recently been done. Carfax only shows the service I did after buying it.
    Heisman from AHC on assistance with my transmission failure (03 Pilot with 112K). I'm going through the dealer to see if their regional rep can get anywhere but I just moved here and have only been to this dealer to diagnose the failure.

the writing is on the wall...
    I never win anything but took a shot at going through a dealer that I've never spent one dime at, minus the diagnostic fee. The service manager, J. Horst, was very accommodating and he said he'd give it a shot. I faxed him all my receipts and service manual showing where I had done the maintenance myself with Honda fluids/parts receipts. To my surprise, got a call back a couple days later and they agreed to do the $4300 transmission swap for $2575. Now, I know there's some markup involved and that's not the cheapest initial quote but, it's worth it for the 3 yr/36K mile warranty that comes with it.

So, screw American Honda and score local dealership. I'll be writing Honda a nasty letter of what they consider "reliability" and "customer service" and I strongly encourage anyone with similar problems to visit the NHTSA ODI site and file a report of your failure.

Keep those receipts because I smell a class action brewing. Oh, we were two steps away from buying one of the Japanese competitors that offers a 10yr/100K mile warranty...
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Am thinking of buying a certified 07 or 08 Pilot. While this protects me financially (at least in theory) from transmission issues, what I really want to know is if Honda has changed the transmissions in the 07 & 08 Pilots so they do not have the same problems as the older units.

From reading this board, most of the problems reported are from 03-06 and not much reported for 07-08 models. Not sure if this is because the older units have higher mileage or because the transmissions have been fixed on later models.

Any comments and feedback are appreciated.
    07's are different, although probably related fundamentally. But, as the displacement and power has grown, so does towing rating and you would assume that the transmission would be beefier.

Problem is you probably won't find many, if any, 07's with 100K miles, the average failure point of 03/04's with this problem.

If you really want an MDX, I would recommend a Cert Pre-Owned. They come with extended factory warranty. You might be able to negotiate an extended powertain warranty if you voice concern about the trans and the salesman sees its the only thing blocking a sale.
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Thanks for your response. You make some good points. The certified Hondas have the 7 yr/100k warranty on the drivetrain. I would only keep the Pilot up to 100k and then sell or trade it. My concern is the hassle of the car braking down and the time to get it fixed. Time for me is almost as valuable as money.

I like the MDX, it is a nicer vehicle but am not in a position to spend that kind of money they are asking for them. Typically they could knock $5k off the price of used and still make a profit based on residuals, reconditioning and certification but with the new car business hurting, they are trying to make up their losses with used vehicles.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Dear Albert72

I offer this which assisted me in buying an new 08 Acura RL. I looked at the sticker prices at my local dealer, then I went to Consumer Rports and paid about $ 20 for one of their new car buying rpts.

Then I sent out emails to every dealer in the Bay Area CA. I asked them for their best price. I got a variety of prices within two days.

I remembered an old friend that was also a BMW sales manager who told me that their dealership played with about 20 % mark up.

So long story short, after haggling with the Acura sales person/his manager and threatening to walk out, my wife an I purchased a RL with tech package, sticker price $ 52000 for $ 42500 plus tax. And I realize that there are posters here who probably got a better price, however for two days of work sending out bids, and two hours "negociating", we saved SOME money.

Also my wife bought a 06 Pilot and we negociated a discounted price of $ 30000 for a EXL which had a sticker price of $ 35000 plus taxes.

When my bride of 45 years finally wants another new vehicle, and if she wanted an MDX, I would probaby sell private party her 06 Pilot and then purchase the MDX. And I will do the same procedure plan to purchase it at a discount.

I posted this to help other buyers, and I didnot puff up prices ect, and no I don't work in the industry. Good luck to all and I wish all of you well.

jensad
  • kcoskcos Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Honda Pilot EX. Somewhere over 120K miles, the transmisson began slipping. As soon as I took off from a stop, the engine would start to rev and it would not shift into second gear. This only happened a few isolated times at first, and no lights came on, so I didn't think much of it. Over time, it happened more often, then finally my engine light came on. I took it to my certified Honda mechanic and was told they were getting transmission codes. I was told it was rare to be able to repair a transmission, they usually had to be replaced, to the tune of $4k!!!!! We've owned Honda's for over 20 years because they were supposed to be reliable cars. We've always maintained our Honda's meticulously, with certified Honda mechanics, so I was shocked to need a 4 thousand dollar repair at 125K miles.

We don't know yet if we are going to get any help from Honda, but I can say we as a family wil be extremely disappointed if the don't take care of the problelm, and they will lose us as loyal customers. Obviously from what I've read there have been other consistent Honda Pilot transmission problems. They also have a track record with Honda Odyssey transmissions failing from 1999 - 2001 years, and Honda ended up extending the warranty's to cover their transmissions. We'll see what happens.
  • pilotguy2pilotguy2 Member Posts: 14
    I wouldn't spend $4k to fix a car with 120k miles -- just trade it in for a new / certified used vehicle. I just traded my 2002 Audi A6 with 120k miles for a new '10 Pilot 4WD Navi -- the dealer gave me a very good price ($5k), considering the car needed about $4,800 of repairs for emissions / torque converter issues.
  • damon8damon8 Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from my dealer. P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio. $4500 to replace. Called American Honda, was told that because my car was nearly 100,000 miles over the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty that there wasn't anything they could do for me. Car has 126,600 miles on it and other than the transmission the thing is good to go. Dealer offered me $2500 trade-in for it. I'm gonna take it to AAMCO and see what they say. I'd like to get it under 2k, doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but we'll see.
    Private -party sale with disclosures may be the way out for me.
    :cry: