Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    We own a 2010 Honda Pilot, bought 10 months ago. We had a 2005 Odyssey with ECO before that. So far, we have not noticed the problem you have stated, or at least thought anything we noticed like that was a problem. But I watch these forums for useful information just in case.
  • jgillrnjgillrn Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2011 pilot for an inspection, i bought it less than 1 month ago and have 370 miles. The mechanic put it up on a lift and told me that my transmission is leaking. I took a pic and called the honda dealer to get it serviced.
    The mechanic said that he noticed this issue on the new honda pilots and the more you drive it the worse the problem (leak) will get.

Does anyone else have this issue?
  • rsnatl9rsnatl9 Member Posts: 1
    Having the same identical issues Same Vehicle ... Identified the issues shortly after driving it off the lot. The dealer has been very accomodating and if fact replaced the Torque Converter which has not corrected the problem still .. All updates welcome
  • tortellinistortellinis Member Posts: 3
    Same deal with my 2003 Pilot. Only it started to fail at 65K miles. I did all the scheduled maintenance and never towed. Never drove it hard. Honda is the next Toyota, only worse. Big cover up. They are no longer reputable. They won't admit a major design and safety flaw with these transmissions. Where's the lawsuit and big law firms. This is easy money for them. Never buy a Honda again. They've lost it!!!!!
  • shodanusmcshodanusmc Member Posts: 14
    I had a 03 that was recalled for the Tranny to install a larger line or something, and never had a problem with it for 5 years. Bought a 09 with the cylinder shut-off and never noticed really when it was running on 3 or 6 cylinders. It was transparent, I got rid of the vehicle after 6 months because I did not care for all of the cheap plastic parts, and the worst looking dash board in the history of Honda. There were other issues, but the drive train was great.
    As the investogation has continued, the Toyota problem has turned out to be poor drivers (see link). I view that whole situation as a buying opportunity, because Toyota has been offering incentices that we haven't seen from them for years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/05/AR2010090502878.- html
  • pudgeypudgey Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 honda pilot had a transmission failure and there was a recall on the trany that honda claimed they fixed????? Now my pilot has 110,000 miles with a rebuilt trany , honda claims it was my fault and wanted to charge me 5,500 to fix the problem??? I fixed it myself with a local dealer for 4,000. Can anyone help with information on how to hold honda responsible? I have read my complaints about honda on this site is there any legal action or help like a boycott or the press that is willing to help???

Chris
  • neichholzneichholz Member Posts: 1
    We had the SAME thing happen with our 2003 Honda Pilot ! The transmission failed while my daughter and I were on the highway and we were lucky we did not get into an accident. The dealer we got it from refuses to do anything to help us look into the matter and wanted to charge us over $7000 to fix it. We ended up having our mechanic do it and still had to spend $5400. It only had 115,000 km on it. We have all the parts that they took out and are trying to reach a "local" Honda rep as the customer service center in Canada is of NO HELP when we call. We have found that our VIN did have a tranny recall and the dealer will not provide us with any info. UGH. WILL NEVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN. EVER !
    Your lucky your transmission lasted that long. They replaced my transmission for the same cost. The rebuilt transmission lasted 2 weeks and less than two hundred miles before the drive light started to flash. No kidding here. The service code came up with torque converter failure. At least the replacement was under warranty. Cover it up Honda. Won't buy your cars again!
    Please check into the recent history of Toyota recalls over the last few years. The accelerator issue is only one of many recalls and problems with Toyota's vehicles. I took a look at the 4Runner a couple of months ago. This model is one of the worst selling models in the last few years and there wasn't anything attractive being offered as far as incentives go.

Point is that Toyota has admittedly been slow to fess up to problems and Honda is doing with these transmission FAILURES! Yes, failure of the transmission is a big deal.
  • pudgeypudgey Member Posts: 3
    Is there any legal help out there that can combat Honda and show its failures?
    Every car maker has recalls. There are more valid ways to rank reliability. This week, Consumer Reports came out with a new study showing the best and worst vehicles by brand. In the top six of the overall reliability rankings: Honda (#4) and Toyota (#6).

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/10/2010-annual-auto-reliability-surve- y-best-and-worst-vehicles-by-brand.html
  • madmommy3madmommy3 Member Posts: 28
    just so you know, the MDX's had the same problem. I get MDX updates because my '01 failed tranny at $74K miles and Acura did NOTHING to help us but offer to charge us $4500 for a fix. We fixed it elsewhere but low and behold, within a few months (and only a few hundred miles), the noises started back up. We went and got a 2011 Pilot b/c we love our Honda dealership/salesperson and spent a wad on a touring. I am shaking in my boots. We also have an '08 Oddesey with ECO and it has 25K miles and no issues thus far. I am so disappointed. There is an article out on these things by the way....and there is the beginnings of class action discussion on the MDX website for whomever is interested. Here is an article one of the forum folks sent over recently....: http://www.ehow.com/about_5597120_acura-mdx-transmission-problems.html
    it supposedly applies to Pilots too, they just don't specify the years. I was hoping that the later models would be ok but apparently not. Looks like we too will never, ever buy another Honda/Acura product and we have been loyal for years.
  • montyamontya Member Posts: 14
    Folks, I am newbie.. have been a sedan guy all along...until now, when our family has grown with 2 kids. I am looking for sitting space for 6 people (4 adults + 2 kids) and cargo..(2 suitcases, 1 stroller, small bags etc.). What would you guys recommend ? I have driven the Odyssey but not the Pilot yet. Price wise I would like to settle with a vehicle in & around $30K OTD.

Thanks & Cheers ! :)
  • blackdragon1blackdragon1 Member Posts: 7
    OMG!!!

I have the exact same problem and my local mechanic figured out that it could be related to the recall of the vehicles up to 2003. Now of course Honda has come back and said that it does not implact my 2004 Pilot and wanted me to take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I have the same motor mount and Torque Converter issue and they say that my tranny needs to be replaced at $4500, waiting for the Honda CS to call me back right now, but having the knowledge that this has impacted others will hopefully help me out in dealing with them.

Thanks fellas!
    So American Honda will cover some of my costs for replacing the tranny. The bloated estimate from the dealer is $4350 for a rebuilt tranny replacement. Honda basically wants me to pay half. Should I be excited about this? There's no arguing with the customer service guy, he's got his script down pat saying that I am out of warranty and that since it lasted 1/2 its usable life, I should be happy to pay 1/2 for it. I about wanted to reach through the phone and wring his neck. I absolutely would have bought another SUV if I had known that this thing would have issues starting at 70k. I think I could have easily purchased a domestic SUV for $3k/$4k less and gotten more miles out of it.

Anyone have thoughts on getting Honda to pay more for it? I wouldn't mind paying for labor, but they need to at least throw in the tranny instead of covering all their costs and just removing their 50% markup on parts and labor...
  • nj62nj62 Member Posts: 1
    Our carefully treated, self maintained with all maintenance schedule work done 2004 Honda Pilot LX transmission died last month at 91,000.
    Dealer estimate $4,500 for a rebuilt installed!
    Honda regional gave me a real hard time but after several letters and half a dozen calls to national, got a deal for $2,100. My take: They know there is a problem and will give you an at cost replacement if you make enough noise.
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    Hi There-
    Just called my dealer here in NJ- my '08 Pilot EX with 29K miles- wont shift from D to D3- from any position; Park or slow moving from D. Is my trans shot? I have an appt for a test ride with a tech on Monday. My shift lever does not have a button. I am out of bumper to bumper and assume this is still powertrain- hopefully they wont give me some cock and bull story or runaround. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    -Larry
    Lg2207
  • tim170tim170 Member Posts: 1
    Took my 2011 pilot in for vibration from torque converter at various speeds with eco on and off seems to be around 1.5 to 2 on the tach. 3 computer techs from cal said car is normal. "Customer is feeling torque converter lock and the cylinder cancellation at roughly the same time, causing it to be more pronounced. No repair scheduled at this time." Great so I now purchased a $30k plus car that shakes. Friend has same car and do not notice the problem. I am going to keep pursuing this issue with the dealer.
  • okeedokeeokeedokee Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Pilot that hesitates when stepping on throttle after being in park for an hour. Engine is still warm . The Engine comes on . It tells me 02 sensors were bad and egr valve
    I replaced them and still have problem. I also replaced fuel pump but same thing. Somebody suggested catalytic convertor . I have 160,000 miles on it . I bought it with 36000 on it. It does not hesitates when cold . weird ??? any thoughts. Also my vtm-4 light occasionaly comes on after hitting a bump but eventually goes out. I can`t use 4wd when this light is on. If I shut engine off and restart the light goes off and I can use 4wd again.
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    I'm almost positive you have the clogged EGR port issue. This plagued me for over a year. Just replacing your EGR valve will only mask it. You have to soak the EGR port that runs from the valve up to the intake manifold, plus all the intake ports that will be completely filled with carbon. I even had to run weed eater line through the main port and spin it with my drill to break up the sludge. EGR valves are cheap so doesn't hurt replacing this.

try this: unplug the EGR connector. The VTM-4 and Check Engine lights will probably come on but the car will run fine. I also had misfire codes for all cylinders.

you can search at piloteers.org
  • wildjacklewildjackle Member Posts: 1
    my check engine light is on and the vtm-4 light comes on after a few minutes, car has 200k miles no major problem in fact no problemm i worry a little about the vtm-4 lightm had the check engine light checked at Auto zone and they showed something with the catalitic converter. any idea about this lvtm-liight? don't want car to break down on the road.
  • chasemagchasemag Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2011 pilot 4wd with the same issues. We have had it to the dealer a couple of times and they basically tell us the pilots operate that way. We live in central Ontario and it is very cold here and our transmission has a definite delay between 2 and 3rd gears especially when it is cold. They tell us that Honda changed the transmission fluid to a new generation type but obviously it didn't work. We also have the issue with the eco mode when it is kicking in and out and the dealer says use an upper quality gas in the engine but that doesn't help either. We like the roominess and the style of this vehicle but we do NOT like the way it runs. We are sorry we bought this pilot and will not buy another honda.
    edited February 2011
    Here is an update from my last post on 11/15/10. After thinking about and considering my options for a while, I decided to go ahead and take my Pilot in to get the tranny replaced, however I didn't trust the dealership closest to my place and took it to a second dealer. They said that they didn't care if the other dealer had recommended a tranny replacement, they had to check for themselves. I had to pay them another $110 to evaluate the vehicle again, and this time they said that the tranny fluid was overdue for a change and that the fluid level was also a little lower than expected so they recommended a double drain and fill with Honda fluid. I really just wanted to pay them the 2k+ and just get the tranny done, but I could not convince the new dealership to just go ahead and do it, and I didn't want to go back to the other dealer because I didn't trust them (these were the same guys who wanted me to replace the belts and brake pads and rotors on my vehicle because they weren't genuine Honda parts and wanted me to pay then an arm and a leg for them). I decided to go ahead and have the tranny fluid replaced and differential serviced, which ran me about $500.

I tried to replicate the vibration issue when I picked my vehicle up from the dealer and even though I tried several times, was unable to do so. On the way home from the dealer however I was able to replicate the issue after I tried really hard to basically get into 4th, then lay off the gas, bring the rpm really low and then slowly give it some gas while going up a slight incline - too much incline or too much gas and the vehicle would downshift and there were no issues, so I had to have the conditions just right. Even though this was way better than before when I could reproduce the vibration at will, I was still unhappy about being able to reproduce the vibrations and complained to the dealer. They wanted me to come back in again, but I decided to wait and see what happens.

Since then it has been about 3 months and I have put on 3+k of mixed driving on the vehicle. Although I think I have felt some minor tremors, I have really been unable to reproduce the major shudder and noise that I used to have before and I really feel that whatever was wrong with the vehicle before is no longer an issue now. I think that I can only attribute the issues I was having to the Pilot tranny being extremely sensitive to the type of fluid in the tranny, level of adherence to the maintenance schedule for the fluid, and possibly the level of tranny fluid in the system, it seems like once these conditions were fixed, the problems that I was having have basically gone away.

I love my Pilot again. It is an awesome vehicle for what I need it for. I could never see myself driving a minivan and this is and was the only vehicle that could offer the convenience of a minivan with the style of an SUV and one of the best fuel efficiencies for its class of vehicles. I don't think I will be going back to that first dealership again...
  • shane30shane30 Member Posts: 2
    Wondering how your situation turned out. We are having the same issue. We purchased 2011 Pilot EX-L on Sat and on Sunday noticed it was leaking transmission fluid on our driveway. Took it into the dealer first thing Monday and it wont be done until Thursday afternoon. They are going to replace the Torque Converter,seal, and o ring. Did your problem resolve? Have you had any more problems?
  • shane30shane30 Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same issue. We purchased 2011 Pilot EX-L They are going to replace the Torque Converter. Did your problem resolve? Have you had any more problems?
  • hugh7hugh7 Member Posts: 7
    i completely solved my problems on my 2011 honda pilot EX-L! for $6000+ i traded that piece of junk off with only 386 miles on it! i knew with the cylinders kicking in and out that it would take its toll on the transmission, also the engine will suffer in a few thousand miles! NO MORE HONDA'S FOR ME! JUNK! we should all take out a class action lawsuit on HONDA!!
  • lovett_hondalovett_honda Member Posts: 2
    I've just had to replace the transmission on my 2003 pilot for a cost of $4,000. I've read all of the above post and now I'm wondering...is the nightmare going to be over?? Has anyone else replaced the transmission and had any problems occur after that action is taken with the Pilot?? I sure hope not...I'm wondering if I should go trade it in
    after just replacing the transmission.
  • okeedokeeokeedokee Member Posts: 2
    My friends 03 pilot transmission just went out at 160,000 miles and was wondering what he can do since there was a recall . The dealer qouted him $3000 to repair it . I have a 04 pilot with 167,000 . I am holding my breath . I`m wondering if I should trade it in . I would rather take a new vehicle depreciation hit rather than a transmission repair cost and a new car depreciation and tax hit.
  • lovett_hondalovett_honda Member Posts: 2
    I went ahead and had a new one put in. I know that there is a honda number to call for all owners of Honda's and I would have your friend call them or type his vin # into the honda owners website to see if the recall covers his pilot, I would even do your Vin because some of the 04's were recalled as well.
  • tvsptvsp Member Posts: 1
    At 130K miles, I found out I need a new tranny. Don't know if any of these are related to the problem, but at 74K, check engine lite/code p0128/engine powertrain control module replaced - - at 120K, flashing D/code p1740/4th gear pressure switch replaced. i remember at some point after 60K during a service appt mentioning to the tech that the trans seemed to be shifting late from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th - he dismissed that as no problem. Then about 130K it would intermittently not shift to 3rd as if putting the clutch in & the engine winding out to 5000. Also a 1 - 2 second hesitation developed engaging into reverse. I have had the car religiously serviced by Honda, and they suggested & performed a fluid change last visit, resulting in news that I need a new transmission as a result of 'normal wear.' NO, I'LL NEVER OWN ANOTHER HONDA!!!!!!!!!!
    BTW, my quote from Honda was $5400.
    Now, to the NHTSA (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov) site to file my complaint.
  • alexg_fllalexg_fll Member Posts: 3
    Very annoyed that just had to get a new transmission for my 4WD 2005 Pilot. It started with a blinking D4 light -- first visit to Honda Service: $500 to flush the A/T system and replace the third clutch pressure switch.

Two days later, D4 light blinking again. Send husband with car -- get a "goodwill gesture repair" for a torque converter exchange and some sort of new computer that we're told is worth thousands. No car for a week.

Two days later, blinking D4 light again. Back to Honda -- Honda Service consults with grand poobahs in California -- Honda Service tells us we need a new transmission at ~ $4,000!! After lots of heated discussion, price reduced to $1000. No car for another week.

What's interesting is that I take my car in for an oil change and Honda Service pesters me for days for feedback on their service. Have not heard from Customer Satisfaction people on my last four visits -- guess they know not to call.

Posted this in case there's a trend with the 2005 transmissions.
  • guppgupp321guppgupp321 Member Posts: 3
    I believe it was the 1998 - 2005 years that had the transmission problems. Let me know if you get any recourse from Honda...I just sent letter to Attorney General. Do the same...send copies to AG and NHSTA.org. Hopefully, there will be another class action lawsuite - if enough people complain to all the many internet columns. Carcomplaints.com is another good one. Keep posting, the squeeky wheel gets the attention. Diane
  • goggs9goggs9 Member Posts: 1
    I saw the problem you relayed several times - every 70,000 miles or so on my 2003 Pilot. It's plenty strange that the VTM-4 errors show up (electronic computer error, not drivetrain error), but the real problem is where the exhaust gas is recirculated into the intake manifold. The first time I opened this up, I was getting misfire (cyclinder 5) plus the VTM-4 errors. When I took the cover plate off the intake manifold, the whole thing was full and clogged with what looked like dirt (it is burned exhaust debris). Once you clean all the gunk out of the intake area, things run perfectly again.
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    Just cleaning the carbon out of the intake manifold didn't fix my problem. I had to clean out the EGR port that runs from the manifold to the EGR valve. Soak the port for a couple hours with Sea Foam Deep Creep, run weed eater line attached to a power drill and bore the crud out, then blow it out.
  • edoug3906edoug3906 Member Posts: 1
    Pilot 2003 with 132,000 miles--Transmission had no problems until now. Gears ruff shift at about 40 mph and a hard down shift thru 40 mph. Its at the Transmission repair shop and a torque converter appears to be in the future. Est. $1800-$2200 big.
  • jtsibesjtsibes Member Posts: 19
    Did you have any luck with this? I have a 2005 and just had the tranny replaced. I'd be in on the class action.

Janelle
  • hugh7hugh7 Member Posts: 7
    no, traded my 2011 pilot off with only 600 miles! lost $6000.THE VCM OR ACM IS WHAT IS KILLING THE TRANNYS!
  • egd1egd1 Member Posts: 1
    have you been able to resolve your problem? We have an '04 Pilot, 134K miles now but the exact same flashing D/code p1740/4th gear pressure scenario happened at 113K miles, now we are faced with the same trans failure as everybody else, due to Torque converter failure. I am determined to avoid a $5000 repair on this (we bought it straight from this dealer).

I would also be interested if going to the NHTSA helped. Thanks
    I'm still gathering my info to go to Honda. There is SO much out there that I can't believe that they haven't recalled. It is a safety issue when you lose your transmission! I'm driving the Pilot now with the new tranny and so far so good. Again not a Honda tranny!! My Pilot has 106K on it.
  • guppgupp321guppgupp321 Member Posts: 3
    You must complain all over: Attorney General, NHSTA, all over the place...document. There was a recall only for certain years and certain vin numbers. If Honda recalled everybody, they would be bankrupt. Apparently, even after rebuilt trans on Honda's - problem eventually happens again and again. Honda has a contract they cannot get out of - with their transmission vendor. They are stuck, so we the consumers have to pay and pay...for the continuous rebuilding of our tranny's. NOT FAIR OR RIGHT Honda needs to recall and this is a safety issue. Had I been on the main highway...I would have caused an accident at rush hour...I was so close to the road. My trans comes with only a one year warranty...that says it all. But hey, you can buy a two year or three year warranty. This is not right! I'm dumping the car as soon as I find a replacement. I am waiting right now for the Attorney General who is in communication with Honda to respond...my letter was received by them - maybe a good week ago. Waiting....mine was repaired locally, since I wasn't about to tow the car and pay for it - to Honda for their $5,000 dollar repair of rebuilding my tranny. Took locally for about $2,300 for a years warranty. Sent them at Honda the bills and documentation...waiting. Diane [email protected]
  • applefarmerapplefarmer Member Posts: 1
    138K: Just replaced my transmission from my local Honda Dealer. They said I was very lucky have a transmission that longer 138K miles. Why would they be surprised? I suspect Honda is aware of a transmission problem in their Pilots but not telling the consumers of the possible problems.

If I know there was ticking time bomb in my Pilot, I would have traded it in about 30K ago.
  • wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    Is there a problem with Pilot transmissions regardless of the year?
    It seems as though there is. Someone on a post had said that Honda had a contract with a transmission compnay for a specified period of time and could not break it-not sure when that would be up?
  • gregoryorgregoryor Member Posts: 1
    Just started having transmission problems. 2003 Pilot EX with only 112K miles, just started slipping. Going 65MPH on the freeway and suddenly it feels like I slammed on the brakes, and engine revs without changing speed, like, I just shifted into neutral. Haven't taken it in yet. Wondering if I should go to a dealer and try to get Honda to cover some of the bill, or my usual guy who's a lot cheaper and does good work, but won't be able to work with Honda for some kind of coverage. 112K miles is WAY too early for transmission probs. Add that to the broken engine mounts and EGR valve, both "known" problems for this model, and the word "lemon" comes to mind.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    That doesn't ring true to me JT.

Honda owns at least one transmission factory and even if they relied solely on suppliers with long term contracts, they wouldn't be locked into design specs. They may have to renegotiate price a bit, but suppliers are always tweaking parts for the manufacturers.

Just found another Honda transmission plant - this one is in Ohio.
  • buckeyeinmdbuckeyeinmd Member Posts: 1
    Just got the Flashing "D" on my 2004 Pilot. From what I can tell by searching here, this is a common problem and Honda doesn't do much about it. Just seeing if I am correct since I don't have time to read every single message on this. But it shouldn't happen as often as it seems by the postings. guess I need to call the dealer in the morning and then start calling transmission places
  • spamman66spamman66 Member Posts: 6
    Same thing is happening to me. I replaced my trans 1 1/2 years ago, but still get the Flasjing D and the VTM-4 light. Weird thing is that is happened every 2-4 weeks and goes away. My trans mech says he thinks it is a communcation problem and wants to search for the bad connection. I'd be happy if it was just an ERG valve replacement. I can do that!!

Is that the fix for this? I've tried to search for a fix, but no clear answers on this site.
  • 1upsethondaguy1upsethondaguy Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same problem and I was driving about 50 on the highway and was almost hit by another car. I had to drive through 3 lanes and stop on the side of the highway. I cannot believe Honda is not doing anything about this. Toyota manned up the last couple years for recalls and Honda should do the same. I understand our vehicles have more than 100k on them but from what I have read, this whole issue has been caused by other faulty parts which has caused our transmissions to fail. I am definitely in to be part of a class action law suit. I'm not trying to make money off this but I would like Honda to pay for the full repair rather than just part. I too purchased Honda because I wanted a car that would last at least 200 to 250k. Let me know if you have heard anything about Honda providing a fix or if you would like to start a class action lawsuit.
  • 1upsethondaguy1upsethondaguy Member Posts: 2
    I too have recently had the same problem and was wondering if you had pursued a class action law suit. I am frustrated and don't have an extra 4k to shell out.