Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• transprobtransprob Member Posts: 11
    My 2003 Honda Pilot was bought new and serviced by a certified Honda dealer, so unless they did not service to Honda specifications, it is unlikely that service is the issue, since I am the only owner. Any other suggestions?
    How do you get Honda to discount the transmission? They would not help me at all, not even a reduced cost of transmission?
    Was Honda any help with your transmission? I could not get any help, with all these problems is there any class action suit? There was one in 2006 and I think it covered the transmission replacement then.
  • luvhnda6559luvhnda6559 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with the class action lawsuit. My 03 Pilot with only 60K miles started to show early signs of trouble. ATF has started to leak (well slow drip, for now) after we noticed that when shifted for the first time after being parked overnight (in the garage), it stalls/chokes the engine unless the brakes are let go all the way, which I think is unsafe. This problem started at around 58K. Also, a couple of times while going slightly above 65 mph, I noticed a sudden rpm surge - might have been a tranny slippage? I'm reluctant to have the tranny checked at this time after reading from the forum that dealers are asking over $4K if a replacement is warranted. This is not good and not something to be expected from Honda products. From here on, I'll start logging tranny troubles for my Pilot as basis for my future complaint to both NHTSA and BBB.
    I had the exact same problem with the same service history. Honda would not help at all and are unwilling to admit there is a problem with the 2002-2006 transmissions. They are not willing to stand behind their reputation. My mom got over 300,00 miles on her Accord, so I expected to get the same on the Pilot. I highly recommend you file a report with the NHTSA (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov) This transmission failure is a safety issue. You can look up a report on the same web site stating the gear failure can result in lockup and result in crash. This has happened to numerous Honda Pilot owners. Also you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if Honda is unwilling to replace the faulty transmission. I am looking into a class action law suit. One was filed in Dec 2006 for the same transmission problem. Hondas # to file complaints is 1-800-999-1009, although they were not helpful to me. Their address to file a complaint with NHTSA and BBB is American Honda Motor Co 1919Torrance Blvd. Torrance, Ca 90501.
    Best wishes
    I expected the Honda dealership to change the fluids when recommended by Honda. They word told by me to check the fluids and they told me they did, so unless they did not do what they said they were changed or checked, next car I may ask to watch then while they service my car, because it seems that is the only way to be sure.
  • keithmusikkeithmusik Member Posts: 5
    hi all, my pilot has about 74,000 and i am trying to decide what to do with it i have changed the transmission fluid twice now and each time there was metal on the drain plug magnet. Question is exactly what is causing the transmissions to fail? can someone tell me exactly what is happenning? thanks!!
  • aatlantaatlant Member Posts: 4
    My 2003 Honda Pilot needs a new transmission too. When my "D" light started flashing about 5,000 miles ago the service manager at my dealer said he had no idea what it was .. okay to ignore it. Can only wonder if I had done something sooner perhaps it was not need to be totally replaced.

If anyone gets a classaction suit going count me in!

In the mean time, I have a complaint in with Honda (800 number) because I feel the dealer was negligent in diagnosing the problem. What are the key words to use that might get them to start taking all of these transmission failures seriously?
  • tutemactutemac Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Honda Pilot - bought new. It has always given me problems with harsh shifting between first and second – but, have been told this is normal. Two weeks ago while driving the transmission starting slipping – the “D” light is blinking and the engine light is on. The codes were pulled and it showed #P0470. I’ve always serviced my vehicle in hopes that I would get at least 200,000+ miles. We did a transmission flush and it was reported that the oil smelled like it was burned. All codes were reset and it was fine for another 25 miles, when it slipped again and set off the blinking lights. I have been told that my only option is to replace the transmission - that these models have a history of problems. I have 157,000 miles on the Pilot – all highway. Since I am the original owner and have serviced my vehicle from day one, I’m unsure as to whether I should invest $3000 and have the transmission replaced with a rebuilt one or should I just trade it in for another vehicle and take my losses? Any suggestions would be appreciated. In the meantime, I will contact Honda next week and file a complaint as well.
  • baltovetbaltovet Member Posts: 9
    My 2003 Pilot transmission went up at 138,000 miles. The dealer at the time quoted me clost to 6K to replace it. I went to an Aamco dealer instead, which was just short of 5K. However, that was a big mistake because within 15,000 miles I was back there with a bad torque converter.......went up with no warning stranding me late at night. Since then, I've had another torque converter go, and then Aamco had to replace most of the internal parts again. They finally fixed it, but it cost me anonther $1100.00. If they can replace your transmission at the dealer for 3K, that's a decent deal. I now have 209,000 miles on my Pilot. I'm aiming for 350,000 so I can save up for that Maserati Gran Turismo in a few years when the kids are done college.

If someone does get the ball rolling as far as a class action suit, I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon. I think Honda has a much larger problem with these transmissions than they want to admit to.
  • hondagirl60hondagirl60 Member Posts: 1
    I only hope you're wrong. I am new to the board and had my first problem this past weekend. My Pilot is an '04 and has about 72K miles on it. Yesterday afternoon, the D light was flashing no matter what gear I was in. I took it into the dealer this morning and they said it's a switch on the 3rd. gear......I don't know what that means, but I'm going to find out. I was also told mine was not part of the recall and I'm a little anxious now. I'm expecting this car to get at least 250 -300k miles and last at least 10 years. I have followed the maintenance schedule, only had it serviced by Honda and will be extremely dissapointed if this is the begining of a problem. My Ford Explorer didn't have any transmission issues until 135k miles. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
    My Pilot is an '03 and it has been well serived by me at the Honda dealer. They also initially told me it was the 3rd switch ... changed it out about a month ago (about $300) but it continued to drive poorly ... now they say it needs an entire new transmission. I have a complaint in with the Honda 800 number ... please post what you find out and I will do the same. I had a second opionion at Aamco ... I know people don't always think they do a good job but I think the mechanic there was very honest with me. He said the swich went out because of the problem with the gear ... it was a secondary event. He said 9 out of 10 Pilots he sees have this exact problem.
    I think when it comes to Aamco, you need to do some research.......which I did NOT do prior to having them fix my Pilot. After my fifth time there for repairs, I actually took time to check out their reputation, and ........it was far from stellar based upon customer complaints. I just ASSumed that because they are a national chain and have been in the transmission business for many years, that I would be in good hands. Now I know better. If I need any more transmission work done on my Pilot, and don't use my dealer, I will make sure the first place I go to is the Better Business Bureau. It seems that the shops that belong to the BBB do so for a reason, and they generally provide their services on a level that you can trust. Before you just THINK the mechanic was honest with you, realize that he knows a lot more than you probably do about the transmission, and if he's honest he'll give you his honest opinion. If he's not, he'll give you his best sales pitch, and you will probably not know the difference. I learned the hard way. Take my advice and check out the particular Aamco shop before you commit to anything.
    Honda is now saying it is my torque converter that is bad ... still means a new tranmisstion ... it just seems like the story keeps changing. Anyway, now they are saying that they'll take off 25% of materials cost so the transmission will be around $3,000. I did read an article that said to call the main 800 number for Honda and ask for a "goodwill repair". Anyone done this and know what the cost is for a "goodwill" transmission?
    It seems there has been a recent flurry of activity on this thread. I can only assume that there are a lot of '03 Pilots just coming of age, so to speak, and likely there will be many more to follow. I do a lot of driving, and therefore reached that questionable mileage for '03 Pilot transmission failure some time ago. Just think about the hoards of Pilot owners that don't post or don't think that 120-150K is highly questionable for a transmission these days. If Honda is not going to recognize and deal appropriately with the problem, then it may be time to contact the NHTSA and see if they can force Honda do a mandatory recall.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 04V176000

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Details: ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.

Consequence: GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Corrective Action: ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Units Potentially Affected: 1099796

Recall Initiated By: MFR
    Date added to NHTSA datbase: 04/20/2004

File Your complain online -NHTSA
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • dallasduxdallasdux Member Posts: 1
    Hey gang, new to this site and was looking for information on the 2003 Honda Pilot. Mine just went out yesterday afternoon. Took it to the dealer for investigation today, but am 95% sure it needs a new transmission.

Worst of all, my extended warranty just went out a month ago at 99K. I have 101K on it now.

Has anyone had any luck with the "Goodwill Repair" or ANYTHING for that matter to get some kind of assistance from Honda?

My check engine light never came on which is really weird as the jerking or high RPMs before moving to the next gear are both really severe.

I am Sooooooo disappointed in my Honda now and I loved it just last week. I'm trying to figure out how much this is going to set me back and if I do use someone outside of the dealer to fix it, who I should be talking to.

Looks like I'll be driving less one "arm & a leg" by the end of the day.
    I just went through the same thing ... just 2 weeks ago or so. My story is in this thread somewhere. Anyway, 2003 Pilot ... had flashing D light which the service manager at Honda dealer told me he did not know what it was ... basically 5k miles later the transmission went. I did all of my servicing / repairs at same dealership ... they started with a quote of $3,780 ... and in the end they did a goodwill repair for 2,190 (totally rebuilt transmission). That last price was giving me 50% off on parts. I don't know if they would have gone lower ... it just got to the point where I wanted to get it fixed and over with.

I too am very disappointed that my transmission went at 75k miles. My 5 year extended warranty ended one year earlier (had not max'd out on miles ... just years).

Good luck with the Goodwill repair. My dealership said they were willing to work with me since I had been a loyal customer ... but I think they realize there is something wrong with their transmissions ...
  • walbondwalbond Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Honda Pilot, 115K. Recently, the "D" light on the tranny selector has started blinking intermittently. Trans works fine - so far, but, from what I'm reading here, I'm wordering if the blinking light is the sign of impending doom. I wouldn't expect Honda to put out junk, but I just had to replace my daughter's Civic transmission at 80K. Any input?
    Every 15K by me, with Honda fluid.
    Honda is infamous on tranny problems, specially the 99-01 Odyssey - class action settlement.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Suggest everyone with the tranny problem file a complaint to NHTSA
    when you changd the tranny fluid were you getting a lot of metal on the magnet??
    Very little metal on magnet, but always some. I have always considered a little bit normal.
  • singletrack990singletrack990 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Pilot LX with approx 41K miles on it. I just recently discovered that I cannot shift into D3, 2 or 1. The shift lever just stops at Drive. Although I have owned the car for nearly a year, I had never discovered this problem so can't say if it's new or not. Any suggestions?
    Pilot shifting down/up beyond D is a bit tricky. Once you know for sure of whether pull the lever toward you before shifting then it is pc of cake... below is the diagram for 2008 Pilot and I believe yours is same ...

• boomer55boomer55 Member Posts: 4
    Check engine light came on and mechanic read the code for transmission problem. Took it to two Honda dealerships and both told me there were no recalls, even though I had the print out in my hand. Started noticing problems approx. 86k miles ( warrenty exp at 85k) but problem was very intermitten and never acted up when my mechanic had it.Now at 100k and definate problem. My mechanic diagnosed 2nd and 3rd gear damage. Est cost to repair $2700. Honda corp told me "fix it" was preformed at 15k miles with previous owner, but car fax shows nothing but scheduled maintanance on that date. Has anyone had any luck persuing Honda responsibility for repair? Any suggestions appreciated. I love this car and would like to keep it but only if Honda is willing to work with me. :lemon:
    Honda is just another car company. In my humble opinion, they're liars and cheats just like the rest of them. You can tell when they're lying because their mouth moves. I'd be getting a rebuilt trans with a warranty and get an independent mechanic to install it. Honda will do nothing but lie some more, in my opinion.
  • kijam99kijam99 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 2003 Honda Pilot. The D light was flashing & it was only driven around 70,000 low mileage and never seen too much rough roads. Did you report this to NHTSA? What was the answer from Honda recently? I am still trying to resolve these matters well, without causing much troubles with Honda, but if not I will go with you filing something else.

It is not just us... This was not random, I saw a lot of 2003 -2004 having the same problems and these were just the once reported. Any filed action lawsuit?
    I spoke with Honda Corp. and they told me I had to have it checked out by the local Honda dealer. I took it in yesterday and they called within a couple hours to tell me the transmission definately needs to be replaced. Honda Corp. called me today to provide all receipts for maintanance work that has been done while I have owned it. Luckily I saved all my receipts. Honda corp will "review my records" and get back to me. I feel that they should replace it at N/C since this is a known problem and not caused by neglect on my part. I am religious about the maintanance since I drive for a living and I know how important it is to maintain my vehicle. I will post the outcome when I find out.
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Honda initally told me that a new transmission would run approx. $5500 plus. After reveiwing my impecable mantainance records they were "happy" to inform me that they could reduce the charges to $3200! My husband found a completely refurbished tranny on the internet not far from us for $2100 including shipping, also with 3 year warranty. My mechanic had quoted $2500 to $2700 including labor. Does Honda think I just fell off the turnip truck? My attorney also had a Honda transmission replaced for free. I am meeting with him Monday.
    Have to call Honda back tomorrow so will let you know what happens.
    I took my Honda Pilot 2003 (61,000 miles) to he mechanic yesterday. I was very stress thinking about this possible expense. They told me later on that they just need to replace the transmission fluid. Run it and it was perfectly fine they said. It was a savior but I was still very disappointed with Honda, this car hasn't seen rough roads, driven well yet with low mileage. I am still not sure if I'll take it for a long drive. Battery was totally dead after 1 month I bought it when it was new. Now the remote/door alarm is malfunctioning and I need to get a new SRS switch. Minor things but unusual I will probably trade this one to a Toyota next time. I think you still have a good case to fight your situation. Transmission does not give out just like that and you have more Honda Pilot owners that experienced the same thing. I always had my car service with them. Also, the moment you had another mechanic other than Honda complete the job, it will be something against you.
    kijam99@yahoo.com
  • sjnorman4sjnorman4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had Hondas since 1978. NEVER any major problems. Only minor repairs like brakes. My wife's 2003 Pilot transmission now needs to be replaced, after only 90,000 miles. Car jerks into 2nd gear, after barely making it out of 1st. I just can't believe a transmission could go out this quickly. Checked with two Honda dealers. Not much help there. Took it to AAMCO who estimate between $2400 and $2800. Looking at all these threads on this forum, it appears this is a common problem with the 2003 Pilot. What gets me is it appears Honda QUICKLY issued a recall on this transmission, did a check to cover their [non-permissible content removed] back in 2004, probably knowing there would be issues down the line. That way they can say they "did something" about it. DISAPPOINTED!
    I did have to have a new transmission. Honda lowered the price from $5500. to $3500. out of the goodness of their little hearts. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSB. After we got the "goodwill" offer from Honda Corp, ( negotiated thru the dealer and HC,) the local dealer told us DO NOT try to negotiate a better deal directly or they will take ALL offers back. The dealer also told me that since my maintainance was done elsewhere it counted against me.
    I love my Pilot but will my next car be a Honda? Probably not. Honda needs to own up to this problem!
  • sluhsluh Member Posts: 1
    2003 Pilot. Bought it used four months ago. Assume tranny was the reason previous owner got rid of this car.
    Tranny fluid replaced with Honda original, looking on the service records - previous owner serviced it at Honda dealer. Tranny shifting hard and slips sometimes. Gets worse after long highway ride.
    Filed complain with NHTSA cause hardly missed another car when slipped when merging highway.
    I took my car to Honda today just for an oil change. I was mentioning about the whine that comes from my transmission (which I was told elsewhere was probably from something being scored inside, but to ignore it) and then got to discussing the transmission problem with the '03 Pilots. The service manager was clueless, as though I just made that up. I then went into detail about how I had to have mine replaced at 138k miles and all the problems I've had since. He told me they have had almost no problems with the Pilots, since they came out after Honda's known transmission problems. I told him to check on the internet to see just how large of a problem it is. Either they are in denial, or Honda is not passing out those technnical service bulletins. I was quited about $6000 by my dealer and ended up going to Aamco. Let's not go there!!! Suffice it to say I would have been better off with my 6K remanufactured Honda transmission (probably).
  • bdp1bdp1 Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday with no warning, lights,or codes, my wife's Pilot trans began to slip to the point the car was unable to move. Car towed to dealer (end of the day on a Friday). When I arrived on the scene, the car seemed o.k., but a short drive confirmed slipping/hard shifting. Fine. Left car until it can be checked Monday. As I mentioned, no codes, no flashing D, and fluid looked normal. Walking away, looked over my shoulder and noticed a puddle of grease next to the right front wheel. Now I am wondering if there is a failure mode of a CV joint that would yield those symptoms or if I have just hit the double failure jackpot. Won't know until Monday, but I thought I would put this out there for any thoughts or experiences. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    wondering if there is a failure mode of a CV joint that would yield those symptoms or if I have just hit the double failure jackpot

That's curious. Did you notice any other signs of damage on the underside of your wife's Pilot?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I didn't have a chance to investigate further. She claims no previous issues with the car (only with me). I will interview her a bit more regarding classic cv joint noises.
    So, today they (Honda) checked out the car. Thought trans fluid looked strange. Then they drove it. When it overheated, they discovered the coolant also looked strange. No theories from them. I called my "neutral party" transmission shop. With no hesitation the guy identified the likely problem. Seems the trans fluid has a coil in the radiator. If that fails, both coolant and trans fluid cross contaminate. Coolant strips facing off of plates in transmission yielding slipping, trans fluid fouls cooling system. Honda tech impressed with explanation. Replace radiator and trans quoted around $4200. Would prefer a generous trade-in for a low mileage 06 on lot, but not forth-coming. Did I mention that the trans shop with the diagnosis was an AAMCO in Columbus, OH? A very competent individual. Wish the car wasn't 150 miles away from him.
  • fabmassusefabmassuse Member Posts: 1
    It isn't looking good folks... I have a 2005 Pilot. I started having trouble with violent shaking and shimming while trying to accelerate going uphill around 75K. I am now at 120K and I am now unable to down shift( yes I know how..) and my D light is flashing on the transmission indicator... It looks like a new transmission. I wrote a complaint to the NHTSA. I suggest everyone do the same. Honda obviously has not taken care of us by fixing their transmissions. I bought my 05 because I was under the impression that Honda fixed their transmissions after lawsuit. Boy was I mis-informed (by the dealer). My maintenance has been impeccable with Honda fluids. I'll be calling Honda Corp. next. Good luck to everyone in a Pilot.
    How do you file a complaint with the NHTSA? Also is there a class action law suite yet?
    Is honda going to help you out at all on the cost?
    thanks
    The conclusion to this story is that American Honda would not help. The dealer allowed $6500 as a trade in on a 2006 Pilot with 34,000 miles. Could not get any participation from the dealer, either. Didn't wish to drag the proceedings out any longer.
  • carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    Shortly after beginning my commute I see the flashing D, what does it mean? Several months ago this was also happening then it went away and stopped. Now most of the time the D begins to flash and does not stop. Does anyone know why?
    A flashing D is a not a sign that you should keep driving. You need to have your transmission serviced. It could be a computer thing but it could be something else.
    Do you also have other lights on, like check engine light?
    Do post your current miles and transmission maintenance history

Good luck
  • more_cowbellmore_cowbell Member Posts: 1
    My Gear Shift Drive ("D") Light is blinking intermittently. Does anyone know what this may be? The manual says to just take it to your dealer. I have an appointment to have this looked at by my dealer, but he said it will cost $130 just to hook up the computer. I didn't want to spend this kind of money if it could just potentially be something simple like "top off the differential fluid". My transmission is due to be serviced. Should I just have them do that first before I spend hundreds on an expensive diagnostic?
    try autoparts store Autozone ... they will scan the code for you FREE.
    If your transmission is due, then have it done. When they examine the car they will see the problem anyway, so you can save. According to what I was told, the D light is a serious problem requiring a gear repair/replacement which can be costly and you need to take the car to the dealer ASAP. But at times, it was just the Honda Z trans fluid.
  • danm125danm125 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Honda is blaming goodyear because they did a flush of the trans fluid over a year ago. I'm going to goodyear dealer to see what they say. lot's of bs from the Honda Zone people. only 55k on car. dealer offered 5k on trade-in. HAS ANYONE HAD HONDA COVER WORK ON OUT OF WARRENTY VEHICLE OR ARE THEY TOTALLY WORTHLESS? I HAVE 3 OF THEIR CARS AT THE MOMENT. AND NOT AT ALL HAPPY WITH THEIR STONEWALLING, also looking for more people who have same experience with trans fluid in the radiator. seems like poor design if this can happen - with no waring lights to tip you off eiter, HELP!!