Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon Thermostat Problems

irvinmanirvinman Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Dodge
I am leaking Anti-freeze from the where thermostat housing and cylinder head meet. My father-in-law told me it was the thermostat housing gasket that was leaking but i can not seem to find that part anywhere. The only thing that i can find that is similar is a thermostat seal. this is just a small white circular piece of rubber not the traditional rubber seals that I have seen before. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct gasket or is it some special order part? It is a Fel-Pro Thermostat Seal part # 35588. Thanks.

Comments

• blackic3blackic3 Member Posts: 3
    Most places dont sell just the gasket for that part. You will probably have to buy the whole thermostat. But your Father-in-law is probably right.
  • kclady38kclady38 Member Posts: 1
    I suspect my thermostat is stuck. my car does not get to full operating temp. seems like the temperture gauge is stuck on open. I have to drive for a long time for it to even get close to being warm. heater works. how much will a place like goodyear charge to replace the thermostat?
  • amunnamunn Member Posts: 9
    HI they definatly would want more than its worth to change the thermostat in your shoes i would do it myself or find a friednd to do it for free there is only 2 bolts holding it in just take them out pop the old thermostat out and put in new and stick er back on takes about 20 min max
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    IF YOUR HEATER IS WORKING THEN THE THERMOSTAT IS WORKING, MY 97 HAS 2 FANS AND I LIVE IN TEXAS AND IN THE SUMMER IT STILL DOESN'T READ HALF WAY, IF THE HEATER IS WORKING AND THE CAR IS RUNNING FINE DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IF IT WAS STUCK OPEN IT WOULDN'T HEAT ENOUGH TO HAVE HEAT. AND DO IT YOURSELF.
  • hellcat1988hellcat1988 Member Posts: 15
    Yes that small rubber seal is correct, though color will probably vary by company that produces and sells it. The neon uses recessed seals on alot of the parts instead of the traditional compression gaskets. While this does not make them all reusable, it also makes them easier to replace if need be. I haven't had to replace anything but the head gasket on my first neon because some idiot silicone the hell out of it, but the others were reusable. Check the store's return policy. If they'll let you return it if it's not opened, get it and pull your thermostat. Check the seal to see if there's any place where it's cracked or squashed more then the rest of the gasket. If there is damage to the gasket, replace it. If not, take the new one back and keep looking for the leak.
  • dinmandinman Member Posts: 1
    ive got a few questions here. i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt. it all started with my radiator breaking and all the transmission fluid ran through the motor, so i had the radiator changed and the transmission and the engine flushed by a mechanic. i brought the car home, and now when the car runs for a short while it overheats, and i no longer have any heat, could this be the result of a faulty thermostat, and when i change it do i need to drain the radiator fluids or not can someone please help me out with an answer as soon as possible because i want to get this problem taken care of soon thank you
  • ramchargerramcharger Member Posts: 21
    The problem with neons is getting all the water back in it. No heat problably means no water. A full radiator is not a correct indicator of enough water. Went thru this my self. I think a Haynes manual has a method.
  • mechinc1mechinc1 Member Posts: 15
    It is like digging a hole.....There is always more than what you took out! LOL
    When you drain a cooling system and refill it. There MAY be more than what you took out. Provided you didnt spill or have a leak. The reason is that when you are putting the coolant back in, there is air inside the motor. And as your engine fills the air becomes trapped inside the motor with the coolant. Usually on the "backside" of the thermostat.
    To prevent this problem this you should bleed the system as you are refilling.
    You can do this by adding coolant then starting the engine and as it the engine warms up you add a little more at a time. To do this properly it should take about 10 - 20 minutes, watching your gauge periodically at the same time.
    This could also explain why some of the other people on here are having overheat problems after certain fixes.
    And you would be totally correct when you said no heat means no or low coolant levels!
    Happy Motoring
  • robbi_carterrobbi_carter Member Posts: 1
    it got below zero couple weeks ago and 98 neon would not blow hot air. the next day still no hot air but car overheated, i took out thermostat and it was locked open, by the copper tabs.
    changed it had no problems, not today got below zero again, and now the same problem i have not yet taken the thermostat out but i bet it will be the same, any reasons why it keeps happening like this. thanks. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.