Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Escape

124»

Comments

• rivercitymanrivercityman Member Posts: 2
    UPDATE: 2 YEARS LATER. The Escape has been to the dealer at least 10 times. They are very nice, and the service manager has taken test drives with me and has put it up on the rack numerous times, and dispite all the suggestions I've found on the internet, they claim everything is fine. Here I am with the same problem. Im beyond crazy. I can't understand it. When you drive, it's rattle, rattle, rattle. I guess there's nothing you can do, but live with it. Nobody will help me. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I had a great 2005 Escape but my 2010 one was a piece of crap

Right rear brake made a clicking sound, front made a scraping sound on right turns.
    Steering made squeeking sounds on any turns during hot weather. It also had the infamous hooting noise on acceleration.

The tranmission leaked. Even after the transmission repair was done the transmission would slam violently back and forth trying to find the right gear on occasion. If it happened if you were trying to accelerate from a stop the car would not move, except slowly, very dangerous.

Trade it if you can but not for a 2010 or 2011 Escape. Fusion was pretty good, had one of the early ones between the 2005 and 2010.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    with 2008 escapes alot were recalled with transmission fluid leaks.Get that checked out too!

That is true, mind did that, it's actually the transmission cooler that breaches, which is a combination unit with the A/C condensor unit. Very expensive all in one part. The dealer charged me for it, but I was out of warranty, and I didn't expect any special favors.
    I'm not disputing what you're saying in the least. However, I have 2 2010 Escapes, and neither of them has given me a dimes worth of trouble at all. So they're not all bad.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Fusion uses the same power train as the Escape. I'm quite sure the transmission is the same.

I could be wrong, but I've been told there are only 4 manufacturers of mass production transmissions, and they are purchased by most large auto manufacturers for their cars. Aisan makes transmissions for Ford, GM and I think Toyota too.

Having said that, once you get a bad one, you usually have a bad one for ever in my experience, and trading the car is not a bad idea.

I'm sure many others of you know more about this than I do, so I invite correction so that I can learn more.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    So you didn't get the letter from Ford explaining this problem and how they would fix it for you for free or pay you back if you already paid for it? It was a "customer satisfaction" campaign they issued early last year and I believe it ended in August or something like that.
    No I didn't. Guess I'll contact the dealer and see if they can help me. Thanks.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    edited May 2011
    Here's some of what was in the letter in case that helps you nvbanker. If you took your '08 Escape to a dealer for any kind of service between 3/10 and 8/31/2010 they were supposed to check your VIN to see if it fell in the range of affected vehicles. If you did take it in for service and they did not do that check, and you can prove it, you might have a case with Ford.

"(Customer Satisfaction Program 09B10) dated March 2010."

"Transmission Fluid cooler in your vehicle may develop a crack and leak transmission fluid. If not repaired, this leak may result in rough/harsh shifting and potential damage to the transmission." "Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to perform the repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). The Customer Satisfaction Program will be in effect until August 31, 2010 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners." If you have previously had this repair done, you may be eligible for a refund. To initiate a refund request, they ask that you give your paid original receipt to your dealer before August 31, 2010. "
    Thank you. I had this work done back in early 09. Pretty sure I don't have the receipt now, but I'll check. Then I'll see. Appreciate the help. It was a pretty expensive repair.
  • alwyn2alwyn2 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    On a 2008 Limited AWD V-6 have had problems with air condensation from Air Conditioner draining onto interior Passenger Side Floor exactly in front of passenger seat-about size of about a 8&1/2 X 11" piece of paper. Have had Actuator Doors replaced--First, do they have anything to do with flow of Air conditioner or condesation? 2nd. Have been told by the Dealership that there is an Air Conditioner Condensation Drain on Firewall, near the Passsenger Side--I have as stated in other forums poked a straw in the pipe that sticks out from the firewall under the hood; it seems to reclog, and do not see the condensation water on ground; and then notice the floor wet when no water on ground; also seems as if there are shutters or some type of doors when poke that straw into the small drain pipe(about the size of a Penny in diameter) have not used anything to poke with like a stick or something hard as a screwdriver as not to cause harm--after a couple times just try another straw---what a way to go with a MSRP $32,235 Dollar vehicle, eh? Any advice appreciated
    I have an 08 as well, have had no such issues, but I can't see what the actuator doors could possibly have to do with your problem. So I think you were ripped off there. The hose, once you stick it, drains for a while like it should, but then clogs again??
  • trilakesgirltrilakesgirl Member Posts: 1
    Dont buy one! I have one and the transmission is crap! It went out at 71k miles, then the engine had problems with valves right after and the motor went out, so the entire drivetrain was gone right after the warrenty of 70k, ford didnt try to help in the least, you better run as fast as you can away from the escape and Ford! I took perfect care / maintence on it. Worst mistake I ever made! All your transmission shops and such are FULL of escapes with constant repairs to motor and tranny!
  • christoffersonchristofferson Member Posts: 2
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    you bought it new, as soon as your 70,00 mile warranty ended you had the transmission go out and then valve problems- suppose you were the only driver and you drove it like you intended to keep it for more years

I have an 08 Escape, 4WD, V6, it's been a superb vehicle- I usually get 31.7mpg on the hwy

I got a good deal from the same dealer on a 2009 Escape, 4WD, V6-
    so- basically I have 2 2008 Escapes- I wouldn't call them tough off road vehicles- but for most who buy them that treat them properly they are hard to beat

If anyone who knows takes a look at the transmisson cooler you might understand why Ford did a recall- one wouldn't call it rugged
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2012
    had to make a 57 mile run to pick up a hot water heater from Sears
    loaded it up- this nice fellow said "nice Escape, I've been looking at buying one, want to sell yours"

well now-

So I said make me a good offer- he said he'd check Kelly Blue Book- I handed him my business card- call me with a good offer- you can drive this if you're serious

he asked about the two things- Scan Gauge and the other-
    I said the Scan Gauge shows me how to get 31.7+ mpg
    the other is a computer performance chip that woke up the engine

I turned the ignition on- UG showed 29.2 average mpg- odomiter showed 112 miles
    he said- is it accurate
    I said- we can go out on that hwy over there- check the calibration- then drive a couple miles-
    It doesn't lie

I'd not even cleaned the vehicle, he looked it over pretty good, inside and out

quote "I'll check Kelly Blue Book and call you"

I said don't unless you are serious