Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Overheating Problems

Comments

• damien_86damien_86 Member Posts: 9
    I have an 02 Lincoln is and its overheating when i turn the ac on. I've seen a lot of people have had this issue b4. I took it to my mechanic and changed a pipe that was cracked and have the the system bleed of air . However, the car still overheats even though the AC is off. I have noticed usually, when I am on my third trip while doing errands the tempature gauge indicated that it is overheating. I turn the car off and restart so that the temp gauge falls back down. has anyone ever gotten this prob fixed. if so pls let me know cause its frustrating to me. my mechanic doesnt know why it still heats up. He states that pressure is checked and there is no air in the system. The radiator is fine no problems with coolant or leaks. The check engine light engaged once before it was serviced. Car continues to overheat without check engine light. He did mention that the Hydraulic fan code came up on the diagnostic but does not know the specifics and instructed me to visit a Lincoln dealership to verify the problem. At this point I am wondering if anyone can let me know if they had this problem and if so what was the problem and what was the remedy. I wonder if anyone has successfully completed this issue. Thanks ahead of time.
  • nickrlnickrl Member Posts: 9
    Here's what i did man... got on racingjunk.com and bought a 16 inch fan that pushes 2700 cumulative and hacked thus fan out of the originol housing and rigged the new one in. It cost 30 bucks. Sprayfoamed the gaps round the shroud and bought a fan controller from autozone. Works great. Thus hydraulic pump needs to be bypassed. I just ran it back into itself with a coupler and clamps. Since its not hooked to the motor it shouldn't build pressure so nothing special is really needed concerning the pump. If so inclined you could take it out,but I didn't. In the future maybe. Anyways dealership told me 2100 to fix fan and pump and I got this done in a day for under 150 bucks and it works great. I know nothing bout cars really and still did this without any real hassle. I highly recommend it.
  • travist2travist2 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2001 LS, just recently did some repairs on it so could pass smog. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and PCV elbow under the intake manifold. Then it overheated at smog station,so went home and changed out the thermostat,drove it about 50 miles without a problem,cooling fan was working. It passed smog, (yea). On the way to DMV it started to overheat,coolant was boiling and leaking out,opened the hood and hydraulic fluid was overflowing from hydraulic fan resevoir and fan was not working. Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Please help, thanks.
  • jiminy2jiminy2 Member Posts: 3
    The Actuator did the trick, Thanks for the advice!
    Did ur check engine light came on?
    edited August 2011
    check engine light never came on when it was overheating... After the fix yes it came on after driving around. I figured something was jacked up so I pulled the battery cables off to let the ecm reset and it hasnt come back on since and its been about a month. Ive read that theres no sensors dealing with the fan that report back to the ecm so it shouldnt bother it any or make it kick out codes. My car was doing exactly as yours was... The third trip to everheat... If you dont just switch it over to electric you have a huge headache on your hands. I had it at three different mechanics and a dealership and it wont get fixed until you just get rid of the damn hydraulic fan. My fan had been replaced 3x and the pump twice all in 18 months before I Did the electric conversion. As i said before ... Im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I can wire up a car stereo like its nobodys business but I was able to do this all by myself in a day (actually more like two, but thats because of work).
    Lol thanks I am gonna convert it to an electric fan this sat I hope or sumtime next week. Im lazy to do it myself so ima ask my mechanic to do it lol. Also I need to find a good one with a harnest kit.
    How Can you figure out if the hydraulic fan is bad in my 2001 Lincoln LS ?????
    Was wondering if you had a part number of the electric fan you used in place of the hydraulic one??
  • cherrybird1cherrybird1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

My lincoln suddenly today started to overheat. It's never done this before.
    It's currently at over 180,000 so you know it's that time. I need the car to last me for now, however. While I was driving about 35 mph the car started to whine subtly and the temperature gauge went from middle of the dial to the very end of the hot scale in less than a second. I checked the fluids and everything is fine. I took it to a car parts place and had them run diagnostics and it came back P1299 but he wasn't sure if he knew what he was doing (he even needed help to find the port to run the test). The most important thing is that the car does not run hot while idling or stopped. It only starts this after the car has been running over five minutes and then only when the engine goes over 2000 rpm. Suggestions?
  • HappsterHappster Member Posts: 33
    P1299 means cylinder head overtemperature protection active. The Lincolns have a feature that will shut the engine down at a certain point to prevent severe damage. It means stop driving it! As for the cause, the whining makes me suspect your water pump. The belt will squeal if the pump is seized or sqirrely. Otherwise, the common cause is air in the system, the degas bottle issue (see my more detailed post) or the hydraulic fan flaws.
    How did u connect the electric fan to work on the car? Im having probe on that part
  • zetozeto Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I live in Mozambique and imported an 00 Lincoln LS V8, and is about 43000km. I think the reason that caused the seller to sell the car was warming. When I tested the car, it started to heat up and boil, then I took it to the mechanic. The mechanic bled the radiator, and the problem appeared to be resolved. I made a trip of about 1200km and the car behaved well. next day started to heat up again. Right now I'm in a situation where the car warms up and back to normal by itself. Today the car warmed up to the red and the check engine light turned on, and I stopped the car. When I turn it on after cooling, the temperature rose again to the peak. What could be, someone help me please. Is there any possibility of having burned the head gasket?
    Autozone sells a electric fan controller. Its a wiring harness that has a temp probe u slide into the fins of the radiater that completes the electric circuit to turn the fan on at desired temp. The harness then has wires for ground, battery, fuse box ( I used the #6 slot, granny solenoid fuse) and so on. The harness should have come with directions.
  • matigmatig Member Posts: 1
    how does this work in cold weather
    Don't know for sure yet... this was just done a lil more than a month ago. Don't see why that would make a difference. The only concern should be ur car taken longer to warm up so the heater would take longer... but with an electric harness kit with a temp probe or something similar the car will reach 160 degrees before turning on so that shouldn't be an issue either.
  • nina746nina746 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a part number for the electric fan? I am going to have to have the same convrsion done to my 02 Lincoln LS. All I can see so far is that it is a 16 inch fan????
    If ur on kmjent.com or racingjunk.com it is a 16" fan that pushes 2700cfm. I don't have a part number but it should only be like 30 bucks.
  • nina746nina746 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will check out those web sites. thanks again.
  • jimmyc4jimmyc4 Member Posts: 1
    Here is an inexpensive and REAL fix for your LS overheat problem if it is intemittant. If something is really broke, this won't work. To the fix!
    When was the last time you changed the fluid in the hydraulic fan system, never, I thought so. Me either.
    I have a 2000 LS that I bought new and do all of my own maintenance therefore know exactly what has been done. I checked the fan fluid from time time not thinking that it may go bad over time. Well it does get contaminated.
    My LS has about 150k on it and it started having an overheat problem. I'm in AZ and the average daily ambient temp has been around 102. Yes, I use the A/C. I read all of these blogs about replace this and that even go electric. I gave it some thought and since it is intermittant, it has something to do with what controls the speed of the fan since all fluid levels were fine but the fan speed was slow when it was over heating but fast at other times. I thought since I had never changed the fan fluid, check that. The fluid was like muddy water with a little pink. So I bought a quart of "High Mileage" Castrol ATF. The owners manual wants Mercon. Castrol "High Mileage" ATF is compatible. So take out the screen in the reservior and suck out as much of the old ATF as possible. Fill the reservoir to "max". Drive a few miles. Do this four times, the thing only takes about a half pint so you can do it four times on a quart. The new fluid with it's detergents cleans up the actuator and all is good for $ 5.85 plus your time. My time is a lot cheaper than a mechanic or dealer, and this works. All of you people who replaced all kinds of stuff or took it to a mechanic or dealer out of warranty should be kicking yourself. You know who you are.
    Dealers love this stuff, even if it is in warranty, Ford pays them megabucks for a six dollar fix.
  • dank0822dank0822 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the hydraulic reservoir located?? I am having the same problem that you are describing, my car is the same year and also around the same mileage. Going to try your fix, just need to know where to look for the reservoir!! Thanks
  • samsgrampasamsgrampa Member Posts: 4
    I'm also having the same overheating problem. Where is the reservoir? What's it near?

Thanks,

Samsgrampa
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's the power steering reservoir IIRC.
  • mahaliadaimahaliadai Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    THank You all so much for the helpful info on Overheating Issues on the Licnoln Ls. I been dealing with this for a while. It was always so RANDOM! Had Thermostat replaced, was fine for several months then one day just randomly overheated again. Fine for a few weeks. Now, it overheats every first start up. Like clockwork about 7 minutes into driving it overheats. I plan my route so I can pull off and let it sit! It often gurgles and then, it is fine the rest of the day! Almost like an airlock everyday. Information has been extremely helpful, my car guy has been quite perplexed and this gives us somewhere else to start looking. My question though, is, I noticed several people also mentioned their ac blows hot air. Mine also blows super hot air straight off engine even with air off. We assumed it was the blendor and I just choose not to fix because i am poor :) I am curious what the connection is with the overheating if there is one?
  • tbug1964tbug1964 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    I need a hydraulic cooling fan hose, that is what Ford called it. According to Ford dealer we called the manufacture of the part and Ford are fighting over the price of the part. Ford says they are charging to much so they stopped making this part. Dealer said he could put us on a waiting list but there is no telling when they would start making the part if ever for that matter.

I really need this hose, any ideas where to locate one? This hose is the pressure hose. Of course the one I need shows a price of 358.00 but no one has one.
  • wiredgodinawiredgodina Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the hydraulic fan pressure line. My wife is heading to a place here in boise to try to get it made. Fluid connector producs.. I hope i can have it made. I cant afford 352 dollars.. I will try t o see if they can make it. I will post later if they can make it..
    We tried several machine shops and a couple of places that do hydraulics but no one was able to make it. Please let me know if you are able to find someone.

We can't anyone with the part to order.
    Might be a good time to try switching to an electric fan if the steering is ok.
  • laglennlaglenn Member Posts: 7
    I spent years and alot of money working on the intermittent over heat problem. IT WAS MY RESERVOIR located in the engine compartment in under the hood in the driver side right under the windshield
    Yup. See my earlier, detailed post on this issue
  • tony175tony175 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 lincoln ls. It has been overheating. Mines blows cold air but doesnt blow hot air. I had the resevoir replaced. Im currently waiting on the radiator to be replaced. Can you tell me what that problem sounds like. I see everyone else has problems with getting cold air. Mine won't blow heat.
    thanks
    Blend door not moving, bad heater core, thermostat stuck open, HVAC controller.
    Hi Zeto I had the problem for a while Try new radiator cap and alot of those cars have a bad coolant reservoir I speny count hour and thousands of dollars at the lincoln dealer just find the problem my self by accident. I have done alot of research from other people who have had the same problem with the reservoir having a fine leak at the seam. Its located in front of the front windshield on driver side just open your hood.
  • ldogg2ldogg2 Member Posts: 4
    I have had an over heating issue b4 on my 02 Lincoln ls. But talking on here I found a way to fix the issue. Change the hydraulic fan for an electric fan a 16 inch with 3000 air pullbut a 2700 air pull can work just as well. I been driving my car nonstop for a month and it hasn't overheated on me since. Im so happy now with my Lincoln. Just giving an update on my issue. Warning u may have to have an electrician rewire the fan so it works when u have the ac on. Cause I have to do it to mine but since summers over it can wait a while.
    Yup. Not sure if it is a casting issue or a design issue, but they crack along the seam. I was lucky enough to find it on a blog before throwing money at the issue!
    Damien there are alot of sensors on the fan does your check engine light come on . I want to go electric fan for performance reasons and lose the hydraulic pump for better of the line performance.

Thanks
    Glenn laglenn63@yahoo.com
    Nope my check engine light never came on. There really isn't any censors for"> the fan.
    Did you notice any performance difference and did you remove your hydraulic pump. Damien where did you get the electric fan from?

Thanks for taking your time to post
  • 2002lsrubber2002lsrubber Member Posts: 1
    I put a new thermostat on my car Because it was overheating and the heater didn't blow heat so that might be a problem to.. Where is you antifreeze going cause its gotta be going somewhere?
    Found a mechanic who braised the end where it was spilling fluid and then my husband said he put a "T" and went around. I really have no idea what that means. The mechanic is in Pine Bluff Arkansas. It is not perfect as it has a very small leak now but it the car is driveble.
  • scooterupscooterup Member Posts: 2
    after reading numerous threads i see many have spent the money to replace hydraulic fan with elec. and some have spent upward of 100 bucks on a fan that will cool yet put extra load on the alternator. after a lot of reading i have decided to bypass the pump cylinoid function with a aftermarket fan control.
    this controller was intended for an aftermarket electric fan assembly. no need for the elec fan i just grounded the cylinoid brown wire thru the controller which senses water temp on it own by use of the typical temp probe slipped under the end of the radiator hose.
    fired it up and it activated the fan so i will find out how well it works in the coming days.
    have been wondering why noone has tried this. 17 dollars at autozone. we will see.
  • dave00lsdave00ls Member Posts: 1
    Hey scooterup,
    How has the bypass been working for you? Im having the same overheating problem and Im thinking of converting mines.

Thanks
  • ldogg2ldogg2 Member Posts: 4
    Well after all the money spent, the problem turned out to be the hydrolic pump, my mechanic who did not do the work advised against the universal fan assembly,but now
    that the overheating problem is solved my heater is not blowing any heat any suggestions?
  • dupree2dupree2 Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem, my radiator fan, hydraulic pump is broken. where did you buy your part from and what was the coast? any info will help. thank you
    I bought it online on summitracing.com or try thepartsbin.com depending on the fan speed and style the price varies. Also u need to get a temp control to activate the electric fan.
  • jen0jen0 Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

My heat sucks too in my Lincoln (LS 2002) Idk what's up. It all started about two years ago when I had my radiator power flushed, (supposed to do as part of the "maintenance") All the crap in there made my thermostat stick so I had to by a new one. Ever since then my heat sucks! I live in New England and I need heat! I start my car and let it run for 15 minutes in the morning and my temp gage is right in the middle but it's blowing barely even warm air. Once I start driving it eventually will blow warmer air but it's still not right. It really sucks. Could it be something simple like adjustng my thermostat? did you ever get your heat working again??
    They are susceptible to air pockets and have a very intricate bleeding procedure. I suspect that, since it started when work was done that required bleeding. Top it off and follow the procedure to a T for a possible free fix. If you had that much crud in there, consider a heater core flush before bleeding.
    It sound like your secondary pump I forgot what it was called but had to replace mine . Its a pump that pumps water through your block at low speeds or at Idle mine did the same thing for years.until I took it in and found it wasn't working . I replaced now my car heats the cabin normally .
    Sorry to hear that but I had an overheating prob with the radiator fan. I never had the heater not work. My car blows good heat all the time. Sorry I can't help u with ur issue.