Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Electrical Problems

Comments

• jjk37jjk37 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy this vehicle from a non-dealer used car lot, VIN 5GZCZ33D56S888680, and I would like to know if the 34 TSBs listed on Edmunds have been applied. How could I find out?

Also, who will provide service to Saturns after the dealership grid closes?

Finally, any history on the life of the GM Ecotec engine? How many more miles left in this Vue?

Thanks....jjk
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    A TSB is not like a recall, it is only a factory recommended fix if a vehicle exhibits a particular problem. If you never have the problem, you never need the fix...

There are "authorized saturn service centers" which you can find by zip code on www.saturn.com

There's nothing special about a Vue, any mechanic can work on them

The Ecotec has been a pretty solid performer and is used across numerous vehicle lines. The 2002-2003 Ecotecs had an issue with the timing chain oiler which could sometimes cause the chain to break and destroy the motor. Not all do but with an 06 you don't have to worry about it.

There are plenty of Ecotecs on the road well past 150,000 miles (in the Vue and others too) - its a good design that offers decent HP combined with excellent fuel economy. The ecotec was a nice match for the 1st gen Vue. As long as it was maintained this ecotec should have years of service life left in it.
  • camismama237camismama237 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Vue and have been having a few issues with it the last couple of weeks. I've noticed the instrument panel lights (during the day) are usually on, but sometimes they aren't. Also one night I was out on the highway, had the cruise on & had my mp3 player hooked up. Out of nowhere the display on radio went out - like it was turned off - and my music stopped. At the same time my cruise shut down. A couple of seconds went by & then everything was working again. I had to reset my cruise though. A week later I had the same mp3 player problem. Then today I had the mp3 player problem for a split second. A little while later, I hear a chime & see a display that says that the stabilitrak is off. What in the heck could this be??? :confuse:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Camismama237,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a problem with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the concern? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • rrhollarrholla Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 04 Saturn Vue, and about 3 weeks ago I hit my remote to unlock the doors and the front 4 doors unlocked but my back hatch door stayed locked; so now I can't open my hatch door. I don't know if all models are this way, but my 04 doesn't have a key hole in the back hatch; it must be unlocked either with the remote or the front door switches. Has anyone ever come across this problem?
    Not common but not completely uncommon either... Follow this link to get it open and make a repair: link title
  • poco247poco247 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having alot of issues with my Vue in recent months. It started when my Vue would stall as I was pulling out of a parking lot. (a few times over 2-3 months). Last month I just spent about $1000 replacing my AC Compressor which had a large crack. About 2 weeks later I take it in to a GM dealer for a routine oil change and as I am leaving the parking lot, the radio starts acting crazy. It is toggling from FM Radio to AUX on its own. I turned the radio off and it stopped. It has happened several times since and I can't figure it out. I called the dealer and he was baffled. Thinks it is electrical. Any ideas?
    Keep in mind during the 4 years I have had this vehicle, I have also had to have the ignition switch replaced because my Key would not turn. And also had to have the wiring replaced in the steering column. It was getting too hot and the wires were burning. I just don't know what to do.......
  • birdman79birdman79 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2003 Saturn Vue 4cyl that just hit 100K. All of the sudden the instrument panel has gone crazy. The RPM, Speed, Gas Guage, Temp all go up rapidly (if they work at all); ABS, Security, check engine, parking brake lights all go on and off. Her remote keyless entry works sometimes and other times is does not. Last but not least I was test driving it and her power steering seemed to be going in and out when lights were flashing.

Wow who knew 100K was going to be the down fall of this car. I see people talking about TSB's for the 2006 does this apply to the 2003's. If so does anyone have the recall tag or TSB information? Thank you in advance for your help.
    edited August 2010
    There was no recall for this problem..

You most likely have 1 of 2 issues:

Bad (corroded) grounds on the Body Control Module or a bad Body Control Module...the BCM controls all of the things that you mention have gone nuts and some others too.

Replacement of the BCM can only be done at a dealer as they have to program the part to your specific car in order for it to work correctly.
  • sardog13sardog13 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Vue 6 Cyl AWD with 65K just went through this, twice! I was getting all sorts of false indications. The Body Control Module was going bad. I had it replaced (new key fobs came with it as the are specifically coded). The first one went in OK, but died within a couple of weeks and I had even more issues. It was replaced a second time at no charge. It's worked great ever since then.

Unfortunately, you can't get one from a junk yard as they are programed to a specific VIN and can't be reused. It was around $700 to fix. $100 was just to program it at the dealer. My own mechanic did the work for a lot less than the former Saturn Dealer would have.

The BCM is just a PCB in a plastic box about 2 x 5 x 8" and is way up under the dash. All the labor is in taking the dash apart.
  • amc7amc7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Vue and yesterday the indicator lights on the left side of the dashboard came on and won't turn off (tire pressure, traction control, door ajar, air bag lights, gas gauge didn't work, didn't display gear I was in when I shifted out of drive). It was raining out when this happened. Took it to Auto Zone, they weren't able to pull any error codes off the computer. Not sure if I should take it to a local mechanic or if this is something only the dealership can fix. I no longer have a warranty on this vehicle - over 103,000 miles.
  • michelle449michelle449 Member Posts: 2
    I recently had a lot of work done to my 2002 Saturn Vue. When I finally got it back I started experiencing another problem. What is happening is that when I'm mainly driving in the hot afternoon, in stop and go traffic A/C on or off, my temp gauge starts to go up like its going to overheat and when I come to a stop/idle position the oil light goes on. But as soon as I pick up speed the gauge goes back to normal and then the oil light doesn't come back on. The place that did all the repairs has replaced the oil sensor twice and have hooked it up to their computer two different times and have found no code problems. They won't give me any clue what it might be, but a friend of mine who works on cars alot swears up and down what the problem is (don't want to say cause I'm seeing what your answer is) and when I tell the service place this, they don't agree or disagree. What do you think it is?
    edited September 2010
    Please let us know what engine you have and if you had a lot of work done, let us know what work was done so we're not completely in the dark and making uneducated guesses without the proper info...every engine has its quirks and knowing this information is very important!

Does your radiator fan come on as the temp gauge rises? Are your fluid levels OK? Have you had to add antifreeze or oil as if it is being "consumed" by the motor? Was the water pump replaced during "a lot" of work? What exactly was replaced during "a lot of work"? How many miles are on your Vue?

Without relevant information its almost impossible to help you but since we're all guessing here I'll throw one in a couple too:

Your engine coolant temperature sensor has failed...
    Your radiator fan has failed...
    Your engine has high miles and the oil pump is failing...
    Your powertrain module (PCM has failed)...
    You have a bad head gasket...
    If its a V6 - your intake manifold gasket has failed...

The lack of trouble codes means nothing. If your engine broke in 1/2 it likely wouldn't set a trouble code but it sure would be hard to start!
  • amortgageangelamortgageangel Member Posts: 1
    This problem started when the A/C was turned on in the summer. If the A/C was turned on and I was in 1st, the car would stall out- if I was in any other gear, it felt like it was "pulling" hard to run, but the higher the gear, the better it ran. Now, it happens even with any fan (heater)- doesn't have to be the A/C- you turn on the fan, and it stalls out in 1st and pulls in any other gear. I am assuming there is a switch or something going out? But how do I know without paying a million dollars to a mechanic? I have just over 60,000 miles on it, and I bought it new to avoid just the issues that I have had with other cars....anyone have any ideas out there??? :confuse: ">
  • michelle449michelle449 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 V6 AWD. just over 97,000 miles No fluids are low, and the fan does come on. The work I had done was radiator hoses replaced, timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, cam cover gaskets, A/C Charge. And then after all that and I got the car back is when this other problem starting acting up. I hope this helps.
    Hello,

I've been thinking about this and I have to say that you've certainly got an interesting one on your hands.

I'm thinking that your engine is idling too low which leads me to think that the throttle body needs to be cleaned cause its filled with gunk or that your IAC (Idle air control valve) needs to be checked. Low idle would explain the rise in temp as well as the low oil pressure.

Match what your mechanic said?
  • bpv1bpv1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    We just purchased our 2007 Saturn Vue AWD 9 days ago, and pretty much since "Day One" (of course, it didn't happen on our test drive, nor when we took in to service twice), we've had a problem as follows: It can happen at any speed, and with the cruise control on or with us using the gas pedal, but is most prevalent going lower speeds, say 35 mph and under...the vehicle will kind of "chug" or "lurch" and the tachometer jumps up and down just a bit, not a big drop or anything, but simply goes up and down to the beat of the chugging. Makes us nervous because we finally gave up another vehicle that had the tranny go twice within a year and a half. Help? Thank you in advance.
    edited October 2010
    Vues powered by the Honda V6 have had torque converter issues with the transmission. Before you freak out:

Change the transmission fluid - the Honda trans is VERY sensitive to dirt in the transmission fluid. Make sure that they use only the Honda trans fluid (I believe its called Z1)

Don't let them use a flushing machine on it as it will screw it up...It takes 3 drain & fill cycles to get most of the fluid changed and it should be done every 30,000 miles or so. Assuming that you have the V6 - bring it to a Honda dealer and let them do it - its the same trans that's in the Odyssey and they're VERY familiar with it.

If you're planning to do it yourself, let me know and I can probably find you a link to a "How to"

Good Luck :shades:
    Hello Bpv1,
    Have you spoken to the dealership about the problem? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the concern? Do any codes come up on the DIC? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • wchandler1109wchandler1109 Member Posts: 1
    Hello....I have a 2003 saturn vue 2.2 L 4 cylinder engine. This afternoon I went to start the car and nothing. I had some flickering of lights on the dash and I could hear a clicking noise in the engine compartment when the key was in the run position. I think I could feel the clicking coming from one of the relays. I tried jump starting the car but that had no effect on the problem. does anyone have any suggestions?
    Check your battery connections...if they're not solid you can still not be able to jump start the car. Or your starter might be bad.
  • saturnvuebluessaturnvueblues Member Posts: 5
    I had dropped off my 2007 saturn vue hybrid with the check battery and check engine lights on. dealership found nothing but then came up with the battery recall. They told me that it would take 6 weeks to get a replacement and that the car was safe to drive. On the way home from work all the dashboard lights came on and then all internal / external lights went off as did the power steering. Had it towed back to the dealer who said that I had killed the non-hybrid battery and it must be replaced by me so that they can re-diagnose the issues that they could not find a day earlier. GM customer service not much help either as I have been told that my case has now been escalated twice.
    saturnvueblues,
    I would like to look into this for you. Can you please e-mail me your case number? I can look and see what's going on with your case. Thanks.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    What is your email address ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on "gmcustsvc" in the post title and the profile information and email address will appear.
    Thanks for that. I sent an email to gm about this as I have been waiting for 5 weeks for word from GM while the dealer has been nothing but say how sorry they are thet they have nothing to tell me. The car still sits on the dealers lot without so much as an update when the recalled battery will be shipped to them nevermind being replaced.
    After utilizing this blog I finally received some action from GM. They replaced my hybrid and standard battery. We'll see how it goes although I don't think that I should have had to pay for the standard battery.
  • 703saturn703saturn Member Posts: 3
    Took my 2007 Vue into the GM dealer for the check engine light and oil change & tire rotation and was told that there was a battery recall, which I said that I had not gotten notice of.

They overcharged me for the oil change & rotation, advertised as a regular price of $39.99 and charged $101.00. This was adjusted after I complained.

They told me that they couldn't find an answer to the light and that it would probably be fixed when the battery, which they are ordering, was changed. Today, after reading this forum I realized that the recall was a few years old and searched my records to find that the recall was handled and the battery was changed in April. 08. On Monday I will ask them how they didn't know that the battery had been changed, and go to a different dealer for the check engine light problem.

There has also been a problem which has come up, being that the car no longer goes into auto stop when at a light. Has anyone had a problem with this in connection with the check engine light staying on?
  • norisvueownernorisvueowner Member Posts: 1
    When I leave my auto for 3-7 days, I come back to a dead battery. Dealers cannot find problem. Any one else have this problem and had it solved?
    I just realized that I'm in the wrong forum, I should be in the Saturn Vue Hybrid one, and my question above has been answered many times over in that forum.
    Here's the link, for those who find your question via the search engines (and thanks for the explanatory post):

Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid
    Actually within the Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid forum, the link where I found my answer is "New Saturn Vue Greenline Owner- Give Us Your Report"
    I have a link for that one too. :-)

New Saturn VUE Green Line Owners -Give Us Your Report
  • tom12mtom12m Member Posts: 1
    I disconnected the battery at the terminals and waited 30 seconds. Reconnected and the radio reset. No problem.
  • mrveselmrvesel Member Posts: 1
    My wife's Vue won't automatically unlock the doors when put into 'Park' anymore. Anyone know what the issue might be? Is there a microswitch in the shifter for that, or is it more complicated? Thanks.
    mrvesel,

I would encourage you to have your vehicle checked out by your local GM dealership. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • pocoman54pocoman54 Member Posts: 4
    In this one you can hear the alarm bells some but door lock clicks are not audible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7joCGIT9c

This one I had problems accelerating, the transmission didn't seem to kick in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGMSQn3wF-Y
    This should have been called SATURN VUE POSSESSED originally

It has all of the symptoms that others have reported here, clicking door locks, no tack, fuel gauge erratic, speedometer erratic, power steering sluggish, many trouble lights on.

It has been towed twice by OnStar roadside assistance and will be visiting the shop for the third time next week.

1st time in shop "Sorry we didn't find anything"
    2nd time "Replaced TCM module"

How can so many people have similar problems and no fix from GM?
    There was a recall on the battery cells which I had done at a cadillac dealership to resolve my issues. Most importantly there is a software patch that actually has made the engine run much better since it was updated.
    pocoman54,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    I sent an email with VIN to gmcustsvc (socialmedia@gm.com) with the VIN and some other info yesterday. The vehicle is in the shop again today and they were able to give me a loaner vehicle.

Thanks

Dan
    Dan,

I wanted to let you know we did receive your email. I will be setting up your case today and will email you directly with the case number.

Thank you and have a great day!
    After being in the shop from 5/31, having the BCM replaced, dealer drove the vehicle for 250 miles, it again failed (6/4), for the dealer/repair shop, as I was on my way to pick it up.

Back to the drawing board.
  • crystal258crystal258 Member Posts: 2
    Last week, on wednesday, while driving home from work the interior lights came on for no reason. They went off but came back on again. I also heard what sounded like the power door locks locking. I tried unlocking and locking the doors again but then the driver side door would not stay locked unless I manually locked it. When I go home an hour later the interior lights did not go out. When I went out the next morning the lights were out. When I started the car and put it in reverse or neutral or drive the doors did not lock. Friday morning I had a dead battery. Got a jump start and had the battery replaced. All was ok then. On Saturday the same thing happened again. I am afraid to go anywhere with it. This is my third Saturn. I had an '94 SC2 and currently have an '01 SC2 with 200,000 miles on it. My VUE has about 88,000 miles. Any ideas? I really don't want to put a lot of money into it.
  • allyb2allyb2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 Vue. The cruise control is erratic...I had it set at 65, on a flat highway, and it went from 2rpms up to 3-4, and 75 mph. it would stay there for a few seconds, then go back down to 65. This happened once on the way to my friends house (approx 35 minutes away) and FOUR times on the way home. It also happened once on my way to work last week. At first I thought maybe it could sense that I was passing someone and was giving a little extra to pass the car, but when it happened the most was when I was pretty much by myself on the road. I'm afraid I'm going to rear end someone. Has this happened to anyone else? I've only had this a week!
  • laglenn98laglenn98 Member Posts: 5
    Same car, same year, same problem. I've had it since it was new. Had it in about 5 times while it was still under warranty. They never could fix it. Got the total run around about it. They called down to "Tennessee" at the Saturn dealer....couldn't figure it out either. Mine mostly happens when it is cold outside. The interior lights and locks start flickering on and off out of control. My husband gets so mad driving home from his job in the dark, with the lights in the car going on and off. Sorry it is happening to you too. That was the reason I originally logged onto this site many years ago. VERY frustrating.
  • crystal258crystal258 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I am also the original owner. My problem is that when I get home and put it in the garage the lights don't go off when I turn off the engine. I can turn off the dome and rear light using the switch but the map lights stay on. It was fine all winter. Getting close to trading it in now.
    allyb2,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    laglenn98,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
  • allyb2allyb2 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't taken it in to the dealership yet. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem so I could tell the mechanics...they only recently started selling/services saturns. If it continues, I'll probably take it in soon.