Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Electrical Problems

Comments

• slanzoneslanzone Member Posts: 1
    I've just installed a new radio in my 2005 Saturn VUE. The radio powered on and seemed to work fine after install. I put the console back together and tried to start the car. The engine would not turn over and a clicking noise was all that happened. All the other electric seems to work such as power windows, locks, and lights.

The vehicle is a 4 cylinder standard. I think there may be an issue recognizing the clucth is in or the vehicle is in neutral. I tried to disconnect the battery to see if it was a computer issue that could be reset but that did not work. The fuses seem fine as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • sad2008sad2008 Member Posts: 1
    Car acts like battery is dead but just put a jumper on it and it starts right off. had battery load tested at pep boy and all ok.when the car wouldn't start you can check the car clock and its got the wrong time. the next time you start the car the clock has the correct time without resetting it.
    This has happened several times. After driving the car, shutting it off and trying to start again sometimes it starts and sometimes not. had the error code checked and no code showed up. pulled several of the main fuses to see if there was a drain no luck. Checking the battery voltage when it wouldn't start and it is about 10.5v. When the car starts normally and you drive it you never know if it will start even after being shut off for only five minutes. (too short of time to drain the battery) Could this be caused by the BCM and can a dealer actually pinpoint the cause if it is the BCM? all ideas welcome. Car is 2008 vue with 17100 miles on it
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to hear about this frustrating concern with your Vue. If you were to bring your vehicle into the dealership and voice your concern about the BCM, they should look into that particular component as they do their diagnosis. Should you decide to visit your dealership, please let us know.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • xramblerxrambler Member Posts: 1
    Started to drive my Vue to the store about 2 months ago and the blinkers went out and all the lights on the control panel started to light up. Pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the car and started it again and everything work fine for the rest of the day. About two days later the same thing happened only this time when I restarted it the right blinker quick flashed like the bulb had gone out. I replaced the right rear bulb and it worked but most of the lights came on dimly, not bright and the car started running rough like it was running on three cylinders. I was about three blocks from home so I limped it home. About 4 hours later, I went out to check it out and it started up fine. Drove it about 50 feet down the street and it did the same thing. I took it back to the house and parked it. Due medical issues with my son, I had to use his truck to get him back and forth to the doctor each day. My son-in-law who is a mechanic, came over on Thanksgiving and we replaced the spark plugs thinking it was a bad plug. I started it the car up and it idled higher than it normally did but settled after about 2 minutes of warming it up. Same thing happened again as before, blinker and running rough.
    I went down to the Chevy dealer( former Saturn dealer) and talked to service writer and he stated that it was most likely the on board computer box as did two others that were standing there and listening. He told me it would be $155 to check it out $400 for the part and $165 to program it plus tax. I told him I had never had a problem with the Vue since I purchased it new and only had about 86,000 miles on it. He said "It's 7 years old what do you expect". That kind of ticked me off because I had bought 4 Saturns, 2 new and 2 used, and a used S-10 pickup from them when they were a Saturn dealer.

I came home and looked up for a cause that we may have been able to fix and ran across this tread and than realized I was not the only one having the same problem.

Right now I have a Vue sitting in my driveway that I can't use and another 2008 that my wife drives that I'm worried that may end up doing the same thing. Do to the cancer that my son is being treated for, we can't afford to get it fixed. This seems, according to this blog, to be a major problem.
    I am sorry that this situation is so difficult. I understand that your son is facing some medical issues, and to add in a vehicle concern is no doubt stressful.

If we can follow up with the dealership on your behalf, we would be happy to do so. We would get a Customer Assistance case established, as well. Please send us an email message with the following information: your name/username, contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your current dealership and a description of any visits you have made there (including the one mentioned in this post) for this concern.

We look forward to your response,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nancy58nancy58 Member Posts: 5
    WE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. NO TURN SIGNALS, NO TACHOMETER, NO FUEL READING, AND LOTS OF INDICATORS ON DASH, SUCH AS THE BRAKE LIGHT WARNING LIGHT (IT'S NOT ON), SO OFF TO THE CHEVY DEALER WHO WILL SOAK US FOR THE REPAIR! I THINK THIS IS A RECALL PROBLEM AFTER I HAVE READ ALL THE COMMENTS ON THIS PAGE! NO MORE GM, BACK TO FORDS!! WE BOUGHT THIS BECAUSE IT WAS AN AMERICAN MADE CAR..THAT WHAT WE GET.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    nancy58,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to hearing from you! Happy Holidays!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    MILEAGE IS APPROXIMATELY 56000 AND WILL BE TAKING IT TO GEORGE NAHAS CHEVROLET IN WILDWOOD FL. WOULD RATHER NOT POST MY VIN # ON THIS PAGE, BUT SEND ME AN EMAIL THAT I CAN REPLY TO, AND I'LL GLADLY SEND IT. I CHATTED WITH GM YESTERDAY WITH NO SATISFACTION.
    Good morning,

Please use the email address provided under our Edmunds.com profile (either gmcustsvc or gmcustsvcsarah -- both will be received by us).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • taxmichaelnyctaxmichaelnyc Member Posts: 1
    My car just keeps dying. I took it to a mechanic and he ran a diagnostic on the electrical system but could not pinpoint the problem. He recharged my battery but it was dead again within three days. I bought a 5 volt solar panel to help charge the battery, but this has been ineffective.
    I took my car to a Chevrolet service center once before and will never go back there again. I don't know what to do or where to go to fix my vehicle. It's practically new with less than 22,000 miles on it and its worthless to me as I can't drive it. Please help!!
    I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulties with your Vue, and that you seem to have not had a satisfactory experience at the dealership service center you visited. If you would like, we could find another dealership in your vicinity. Or we could open a Customer Assistance case with you and work with you towards getting a diagnosis.

Please send us an email with more information, including a description of your experience at the Chevrolet dealership you alluded to in your post, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your name/username and contact information (phone and address).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mshoneybmshoneyb Member Posts: 1
    Wow this must be an epidemic with the Vue’s. I also have a 2007 Vue-battery went dead, and had me stranded with a sick grandchild in the back seat.

Changed the battery, had the alternator checked, and it was good. Now when I try to cut the car on, it may or may not stay running. I am terrified to go anywhere, thinking that it may not cut back on and leave me stranded somewhere.

So So depressed!!
    Hello all,

I wanted to thank you for contributing to this discussion, and to let you know that I have made a note of this thread for GM. I can't present any guarantees as to what this will do, as I am far removed from the discussions on these types of things.

If we can assist, as always, we're available to you by email.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hillbillysuprahillbillysupra Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever figure out the problem on your vue? I was wondering because i am the head technician at a used car lot and i have one with a similar problem. When your car cuts off does the security light come on? If it does it is the same problem i am having i have changed the PCM, BCM,cleaned the grounds, applied dielectric grease to the pcm terminals,the bcm terminals the tcm terminals and the fuse box terminals. When i put the scanner on it i have a fuel enable password not received code in the pcm but no other codes if i had a loss of communication with the bcm i should have a U code but i dont. I am at my wits end if i dont figure out something soon im gonna wash it with gasoline and dry it with a match
    before you had all this work done did you have a coolant leak and if so did you add stop leak to the system? if so the radiator may be partially clogged and not able to cool at idle. Did they replace the thermostat? As far as the oil light goes have the mechanic check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge hot at idle if it is below spec may need to replace the oil pump...( but before they do) drop the oil pan and look for metal. i had one doing the same thing with the oil light coming on engine hot at idle and it was bad main bearings (excessive clearance) Hope this helps
    We took it to the GM dealer, but they couldn't find anything wrong as it wasn't doing it when we brought it in. They said the computer wasn't communicating. It hasn't done it again since!
  • goferrisgoferris Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I've had the same problem with my 09 Vue also. I was driving one day and all of the electrical went completely out: all the lights, all the gauges, even the OnStar system. I pulled over because I too was afraid and turned the car off. Then, it wouldn't turn on. I waited about 10 minutes and tried again and the car did turn on with electrical. I called OnStar for a diagnostic and they found nothing wrong. A few weeks later, the car wouldn't even start! Took to a dealer who also replaced the battery (on a 2 year old car???). I haven't had issues since, but that was only shortly ago, so maybe it's not a battery issue on my car. Perhaps the same as you??
  • plantaryplantary Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Vue, and I just started having problems. First the heated seats ouit working, switches light up, Second, the pass. side air bag wont turn on when my wife sits in car. And third, my lights swiches for rear defroster, and recicuilting air is out. Can all three be related.
    Other than these problems it is the nicest car I owned.
    We had the seat warmer switch go also. We had the computer for the ac go as well. Very frustrating as we would like to sell, but don't know when this computer problem will turn up again! It seems to me that this is an on going problem with the vues. Too bad, as we really love the car, but turning us away from another GM product!
    Please keep us posted if you were to decide to work with a GM dealership. We would be happy to assist in the process.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • plantaryplantary Member Posts: 2
    Im going to have the air bag fixed, just dont know if all is related
  • pcsbobpcsbob Member Posts: 5
    Sarah

We are also haveing problems with batteries on a 2007 Vue with the 4 cyl engine. The car is now on it's 3rd battery!

The battery is dead after the car sets 3-4 days. The car has a bettery drain when put a test light between the battery and fuse block. I have pulled all of the fused and relays to test for the drain. I can not be the test light to go out.

My wife is now afraid to drive the car. She is concerned that she will become stranded when the battery dies.

Can you offer any assistance?

Bob W
    Franklin, TN
  • vinnie68vinnie68 Member Posts: 1
    Electrical Issues: Your problem the system is grounding thus kill all electrical activity. I had this issue for over a year and it was finally identified and repaired (no parts were required). The location of my grounding issue was on the driver side of the engine bay. Specifically, removing the driverside headlight you will see a squareish box (approx 1'1/2 x same) with wires going/coming to it. This box of wires feed the headlights and because everthing is interconnected it also affects everything else that is controlled by the BCM (body control module--the electral distrobution controler or brain). The tech cleaned the oxidation/reseated the wiring and oiled the area to minimise water buildup. All of this and a working car (for the last six months) only for the cost of two hours of labor. Prior to this solution techs (non-dealer) informed me that it was a bad BCM and battery. They could identify the problem was electrical but that was it. Hopes this helps.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'M GOING TO PRINT THIS AND TAKE IT TO THE GM DEALER.
    in my case i can rule out any grounds i cleaned the ground behind the Lf headlight,the one behind rt headlight,the main body ground on the inner liner the grounds on the back of the head the ground by the starter, the ground on the interior fuse panel, the ground on the fuse panel bracket, the instrument panel ground left and right, the ground that bolts on the engine computer. i even removed the bracket that the engine computer bolts to and cleaned the surface where it meets the head. still stalling i even ran a ground from the battery cable directly to the engine computer. I removed every fuse box cleaned the terminals and applied gm dielectric grease,swapped the main relay and fuel pump relay still no change. i have had this P.O.S. stall on me multiple times 3 times i had to swerve off the road because i was pulling out into traffic and theft kicked in and it cut off two of these times it stalled in front of an 18 wheeler. sent the ecm off to be rebuilt they said check wiring from fuse box to ecm and from main relay to ecm. to rule out the wiring i ran 5 new wires to the ecm cut the old ones soldered and heat shrinked the new ones put ring terminals on the other end soldered them and hooked them directly to the battery with no change. i am out of ideas im out of patience, if it stalls on me in front of an 18 wheeler again im not pulling off the road i will let it total that P.O.S. take it up with saturn
  • voodoogalvoodoogal Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had their battery light come on even though the battery is fine? Mine will come on about the time I put the car in drive and stays on for about 5 minutes then goes away.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    The battery light indicates that your charging system is not charging enough...chances are, your accessory drive belt needs to be changed...if it is old it gets loose and slips on the alternator keeping it from charging correctly. Alternately, your alternator may be about to fail...
  • ccabocccaboc Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my passenger side(right front) headlight, I replaced the bulb, but it's very dim. Then, after the daytime running lights switch to the nighttime mode, the brights are on in a dim state too. What the heck? Is the BCM causing this? Alsom, my rearview mirror no longer works and my radio doen't work and also my remote key fobs. HELP!
  • shaunamishaunami Member Posts: 1
    Recently I've had intermittent problems starting up my 2008 Saturn vue hybrid. We've had to jump it a few times and it starts right up. Took it to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and said my battery was more than fine. I'm definitely running into problems after my car sits for a day or two. The dealership said the first time it was probably due to my phone charger, Garmin ( tho shut off but still plugged in) and my in dash iPod adapter cord all being left plugged in- though I have always done this until now.we just went to the UP MI snowmobiling for a few days and when we got home my Vue once again wouldn't start without a jump and again this morning. The only odd thing I can remember happening was in the fall I did have one night where my drivers side headlight didn't work but after turning the car on and off and messing with the lights switch it did come back on. This maybe totally unrelated. Just wondering if I should change out my battery even tho the dealership says its fine, or do I have another problem?
    I see you've already been in to your dealership; when was this appointment?
    Would you like for us to follow up on this?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lowes152lowes152 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 has 72000 miles on it and a bunch of my dash lights popped on including, the check engine light, the abs light, the traction control light and the emergency brake light. The rear hatch button also only works when the the vehicle lights are off. The rear wiper dims all lights when it is ran. Trying to figure out what is causing all these headaches. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm sorry to hear about these electrical concerns you're having with your Vue.

There may be helpful information on the electrical system in your owner's manual, starting on page 5-74 (includes information on fuses), or this may be a result of the Electric Power Management (or EPM, information begins on 3-14) trying to work with a high electrical load. This occurs when
    several of the following are on, such as: headlamps, high beams, fog lamps, rear window defogger, climate control fan at high speed, heated seats, engine cooling fans, trailer loads, and loads plugged into
    accessory power outlets. The EPM works to prevent excessive discharge of the battery by balancing the generator’s output and the vehicle’s electrical needs. One of the things that can occur is a temporary reduction of the power demands of some accessories. Normally, these actions occur in
    steps or levels, without being noticeable. In rare cases at the
    highest levels of corrective action, this action may be noticeable to the
    driver. If so, a Driver Information Center (DIC) message might be
    displayed, such as BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE, BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW, or LOW BATTERY. If this message is displayed, it is recommended that the driver reduce the electrical loads as much as
    possible.

If you've visited your dealership for a diagnosis on this, we're available to follow up with them to see what they found, or to assist in any way we can.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • addidas40addidas40 Member Posts: 14
    This post is for all of the people who have had problems with GM. I have also dealt with GM regarding the faulty Vti transmissions and GM goes through the so called process of opening a case but they will not do anything. They might split the cost with you to repair a defective transmission that they installed and it costs bout $6000.00. So that means the customer has to pay $3000.00 for a transmission that was no good to begin with. There was a class action lawsuit but GM filed bankruptcy and is no longer obligated to fix the problem. Here are a few things that you can do and remember the more people who file complaints the more likely that these problems will be looked into.

Information regarding the class action lawsuit
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp

You can file complaints with :
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265

Here is the website for the lawsuit that was filed.
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/

Twitter
    http://twitter.com/gmcustomersvc

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/generalmotors?v+wall
    well finally fixed the problem with the security light coming on and the motor cutting off i cleaned every ground and replaced the ecm and that solved it. so if you have a vue wit the 3.0 engine thatthe security light flashes and the engine stalls with a p1629 pcm is the culprit
  • cailensendorcailensendor Member Posts: 1
    greetings I have a 2008 saturn vue

the 10 amp circuit breaker that controls the running lights on the left rear running lamp keeps blowing ... there is a neighbor that has the same vehical with the same issue... neither of us have done any cutting or modifing of the stock electrical system... the car only has 38k miles on it .... is this a common problem and is there a common repair for it... and yes I have confirmed the fuse is blowing (it is in the engine compartment) and have replaced the rear tail lamp to make sure it was not that ...

please help
  • threesaturnsthreesaturns Member Posts: 3
    My Saturn begins to emit short honks, spontaneously after a long (45 min plus) trip, but unly when the heat has been on! (I can drive for several hours without the spontaneous posessed honking, if I do not turn on the heat). I can stop the honking by turning the heat knob to cool, or AC, or simply by shutting the car off and letting it cool naturally. Anyone experience this and know what it is?
    Good morning cailensendor,

If you haven't checked out fuses already, there is a section in the owner's manual beginning on page 5-95 on the electrical system of your vehicle (includes fuse diagrams).

What is your general plan of action in addressing this? We're available to assist (checking into warranty/recall information, assisting in working with a dealership) if you like!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning threesaturns,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with your Vue; were you planning on getting this looked into? We're available to assist, if so!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • maxfieldomaxfieldo Member Posts: 2
    This started happening once or twice within the last couple of years, now a couple times a week or more. I shut the car off and the next day the battery is dead. It jump starts fine, then the next day it's dead again, only in a 6 to 10 hour window. Not after a couple of hours. I took it to Advanced Auto and they did a charging battery test and it came out fine two times. At the end of the printout after shutting off the engine it shows battery drain at either .02 or .2, not sure which and thay said it was within acceptable limits. Any help???
    Hello maxfieldo,

I'm sorry that you're having electrical difficulties with your Vue! We can look to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle, or get you more information about any remaining warranties you may be under. Also, if you decide to work with a dealership we're happy to be of assistance during the process in whatever ways we can. You can contact us by emailing socialmedia@gm.com (please include the last 8 digits of your VIN).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • maxfieldomaxfieldo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you GM Customer Service, brought to you by Sarah, but you are of little help solving my problem. Don't you have a mechanic that can help me in basic problem determination to rule out a few things before I resort to bringing it to the dealership and spend my money?
    Mike
  • hrehberghrehberg Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car in oct 2010 . I had replace my hood latch and cord because it was rusty.
    And when i checked the car fax on this it was the second time this was done. I had to change a senser too. Then i had to buy a new batery for the car too and my door handle inside my car had cut my hand because the metal is coming off and it sharpe...new tires the dealer
    ship put on but my paying for it. I really like the suv i just wish it did not have so many problems...should of keep my G6........
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    hrehberg,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experience. Thank you for your loyalty to GM. If you continue to experience concerns please feel free to email me directly. Please include your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. Feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jamann1979jamann1979 Member Posts: 1
    i am having a problem with my dash lights, tail lights , daytime running lights and the lights illuminating the ac/heater controls. it started intermitent the seemed to fix itself. now they are all out and i can not drive at night for the fear of being pulled over for no tail lights...i have asked several people about this problem and most of them say it sounds like a ground wire issue. i was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if they know a solution
  • mpugh2mpugh2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Vue and I have recently had similar problems. I was wondering if you have had any luck with finding out a solution or any more about the problem.
  • jolybeanjolybean Member Posts: 5
    I left my car parked in a neighborhood known for cars being broken into. When I returned to my car, my headlights flickering and my car was chirping. My keyless remote would not unlock my door. After I opened with my key the horn started honking and security light flashing. Thankfully the panic button on my remote worked to stop it. However, the keyless remote doesn't work to lock my doors anymore. I thought the problem was caused by someone trying to break into it. But now that other strange things are happening, maybe it is an electrical issue?
    Now when I start my car after it has been sitting awhile it will making a repeated fast clicking sound and dashboard lights flicker just before it turns over. Also last week my cruise stopped working (it has always had a problem of occasionally turning off by itself before, but was always able to restart it)

I don't understand what hillybillysupra did, but going to research it a little more to see if that will fix my problem. Don't want to take into dealership... just spent a year trying to get torque converter problem dealt with - and sorry Sarah, but GM was no help at all in getting my issue resolved. I think I would have been better dealing with the dealer myself.
    Good afternoon jamann1979,

Have you had any luck on finding a resolution for these electrical matters on your Vue?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • petie1952petie1952 Member Posts: 1
    2003 Saturn Vue V6...started car and "security" light was flashing intermittantly...released emerg. hand brake to drive away and "brake" light on dash stayed on...pulled out of driveway and "change oil soon" light came on, followed shortly by "service engine soon" light. About 5 minutes later "service" and "ABS" light came on, speedometer, tach, fuel guage and temperature guage failure. Power steering failed about 5 minutes after that. A/C does not blow cold and electric door locks have failed.
  • bungalowjobungalowjo Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I just started to have almost the same issues with my 2002 VUE. Did you get the problem diagnosed and solved? How much did it cost?

Thanks!
  • jolybeanjolybean Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    After a few frustrating weeks I can say I finally got someone to fix it. Yeah! I told the first mechanic about hillybilly's solve with cleaning a ground wire and he dismissed me, but the 3rd mechanic confirmed it & found the chassis wire was hot and he cleaned and lubricated it & it solved the problem - he charged me $160.

The whole process took almost 3 weeks and at the beginning I think was difficult to diagnose because it was so intermittent and it wouldn't do it for the first 2 mechanics. Even when the other symptoms weren't present, switching the headlights in different modes would make the interior lights flicker and that seemed to be the key to my husband that may have helped point to wiring problem sooner. It got to the point where random dashboard lights were always flashing by the time my husband took over. It had already cost a lot more with the added cost to tow it to the 2nd mechanic because I was afraid to drive it because the steering wheel would lock up intermittently. And even if you know exactly what is wrong and what needs to be fixed, if you are a woman, I hate to say this but you might have better luck if you have a man take it in :-( good luck!