Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Electrical Problems

Comments

• e4400e4400 Member Posts: 2
    I have not. I took it in and they could not "recreate the problem" after I left my car there for a week. Then the GM had the audicity to ask me if I wanted to buy a new Vue while I was in there. I told her I would never buy another GM vehicle again.

Anyways, the changed my door jams thinking I had gotten Armor-All or something jammed in there, even though I told them this was not the case. They did this only after I complained to the GM about the service department.

They also said I could try replacing the BCM if that didn't work. I have the number for Saturn Corporate who I am going to ask to pay for the new BCM since the individual stores do not do that.

I have also lived with this 4 winters and have documentation of each time I took it to the dealer and they could never recreate the problem. I'll keep you posted if I can get Saturn to pay and if that works.
  • laglenn98laglenn98 Member Posts: 5
    Interesting - I am sorry you got such a run around. My local mechanic also tried to "recreate" the scenario - and hasn't gotten it to do it for him. I used to wait until the car was warmer - the lights would evenutally go off after flickering a few times - and the locks locking and unlocking. My husband started using his fist and hitting the dash right above the glove compartment. This usually gets it to go off after about 10 minutes of the car running. I think it is so odd it only does it in cold weather! We live in Wisconsin - it is cold here A LOT. Good luck - at least I know someone else has this issue - my friends think it is funny - but I am so tired of it.
  • 1gettinginfo1gettinginfo Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately I haven't taken it in to the dealer. It illuminates completely with in 5minutes of warming up. So until it becomes more complicated I am not interested in paying them some overpriced charge.
  • djwhipmixdjwhipmix Member Posts: 1
    My GOD! I thought I was the only one going through this. I've taken it to the dealer in my area and they were able to recreate this. They just wouldn't do anything to fix it. They also insisted it was the door jam. Does anyone know legally if this can be a class action suit. You are describing my exact problem. Everyone says my car is haunted. I keep having to jump start my car and have replaced the batteries several times.
  • kerina_ckerina_c Member Posts: 1
    I finished reading over everyones posts last night and couldnt help myself but ask why is there not a recall on the bcm when almost everyone is having the same problem. In Dec my tranny went which I would liek to say its a 2003 and only had 143 000 ks on it. After finally get it back after a week. I noticed my coolent light and E break light kept coming on as soon as I started my car in the morning. I took it to CT and they said is was because my breaks and needed to be cleaned. Well a month later my gas light, service light and service engine soon light all came on after driving longer then 30 mins. The a few days later on top off all the lights my needles on my temp., gas, and rpms started to go crazy. I took it back to saturn for them to tell me its the bcm and it will cost me almost 800 (but its mostly the part they said that costs that much not labour). So after reading everyones problems and having the same issues I called saturn and spoke with someone who gave me all these run around issues stating there hasnt been a recall cause we dont know forsure what the actual issue is and not enough people have had the problem. So he told me I should get it fixed and if there is a recall then I will POSSIBLY get my money back. So I think its time we fight back and get this recalled. The phone number is 1-800-463-7483 and the more people that call and complain the fast this will be taken care of and hopefully those of you who have fixed the problem will get your money back. Hope this helps!
  • meredithrkmeredithrk Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently having some major trouble with my 2002 Saturn Vue AWD, I left my lights on overnight and my battery went dead, I tried jumpstarting the battery but was unable to start the car even after trying to charge it for the longest time. I went to advance auto and bought a new battery, installed it and expected it to start right up. Unfortunately the ignition turned and the engine seemed to catch for a split second before it died again. Every time I tried starting the car it seemed like it wanted to start but couldn't. Finally I had it towed where the mechanic had it for 3 days, apparently my fuel filter was clogged which he fixed, but the car still wouldnt start because of 2 codes. the first code was 1630 a theft detterent code which prevents the engine from starting also there was a 1631 password incorrect code so the car is not recognizing my key or keyfob signal thus keeping it in security mode and disabling the engine. I had to get my car towed from that mechanics shop to a dealership because :cry: "only a saturn dealer shop could fix it." I'm hoping the saturn people can fix it pretty easily. They said hopefully they'd just have to reprogram the BCM, I saw on another post that BCMs cost aroung 800 so I pray its not that. Has anyone got any advice, experience or comments about this, I'd be happy to hear them.
  • bad_vue_herebad_vue_here Member Posts: 2
    I too am having odd electrical problems, but mine seem similar but not identical to all of yours. So, my 2003 vue decided that the clutch wouldn't work anymore last week. This, after 43k, and I had to have the master and slave cylinders replaced, and something else. I brought it home, and the next time I went to drive it, my dashboard lights all started to flicker, then went dead. This started from 1st to 2nd gear at about 20 mph. ALL WHEN THE CAR WAS COLD. I live in Colorado, so it was only about 50 degrees out. Then, I got to the stoplight, put the car in neutral and everything popped back on. Started again, 1st to 2nd, and lost everything, again. Then, while going from 2nd to 3rd I realized that the speedometer stopped working at about 20 mph. But, if I put the car in neutral for a second (and let it coast) everything popped back on and the speedometer jumped to the actual speed (about 35 mph). I took it to the dealer that day, left it, and they were able to "recreate" the problem for 30 seconds, they say. They then ran all the diagnostics on it and cannot find anything wrong with it. The service manager didn't know what to do, so I told him to keep it another night and try again in the morning, as it seems to only happen when it is cold. (My fiance tried it later in the day before we took it to the dealer, about 60 degrees out, and it didn't do it). Next day, service manger doesn't even call me back. Someone else calls and says they can only "recreate" it for about 30 seconds. I wonder how long they are driving the darn thing. At any rate, they "don't know what to do" and suggested I take the car home. I told them "no". This is a problem, the car still has an extended warranty on it and they are obligated to fix it. I do not want to make it worse, and they do not seem to know what to do. I left it there again today, and no one has called me about it. Great business. Best part...I emailed this form to them 2 days ago to read. They told me "my car doesn't apply". BS? I am calling Saturn.
  • lawson86lawson86 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I currently drive an 02 Vue, 5spd 2.2L. My DRL's didn't come on yesterday while driving home from work. The DRL indicator light on the dash blinks a couple times, then goes out. All the fuses are in good order, but were replaced anyway. The relays also are in good working order. My dad works for the company that makes the relays, and they are in good shape. I remember seeing a voluntary recall on this DRL issue, but cannot find the slip for it. Anyone know where I can find the recall info for ones not made mandatory by the government? It would make life much easier.
  • gabriella412gabriella412 Member Posts: 1
    Okay so 3 months after I bought my 2003 Saturn Vue the electrical problems started up. My RPM's and gas gauge and MPH and everything in that area just stopped working and this has been going on now for almost 3 years. Oh and did I mention when all that happened the power steering went out. I keep getting told it's going to be minimum of $1,000 and that I need to take it to an electrician, and of course the only thing my warranty didn't cover was electrical issues.
  • jim03vuejim03vue Member Posts: 1
    Well, I don't feel so lonely anymore!

My 03 Vue 5spd 4cyl 107K mi is asking to go to the auto auction. Many front end problems, but most frustrating are the electrical issues starting to show up.

Random security horn blasting and lights flashing, electrical door locks cycling on and off, interior and instrumentation lighting triggering on and off, wipers turning on randomly...

Sounds like what many of you have experienced. Is there a way to reset the computer? Disconnect the battery for short time?

Bad body control module? $800? Ugh..."> :lemon:
  • daddyo6daddyo6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 vue that is blowing the a/c blower fuse on the main block under the hood . I noticed it happens when the weather is reaches the 90's . The fuse blows before the car even gets started . any advise
  • teacherladymomteacherladymom Member Posts: 1
    I AM having similar problems! Most recent happened on vacation 1200 miles from home. Problems started just after purchase in May 2008. Dry conditions in summer. Locks popped up and down and almost all dash indicator lights and gauges "freaked out." Had the kids in the car and had to limp it home with the hazards on in the dark. Less than 1000 miles. They said it was the body control module and replaced it. Twice it had unexplained dead battery. Dealer has no record of tow in for this. :( FYI I had to wait 4 hours for Saturn Roadside Assistance. Fast forward to July 2009 and SAME problems of car freaking out are happening. Came off highway after approx. 2.5 hours straight driving, filled tank and ran through car wash just previous to reoccurence of problem. Dried under hood in the sun, and then just check engine light was on. Onstar diagnostics came back with all kinds of freaked out codes. Dealer in Orlando claimed they found corrosion on grounding strap cable. They filed it and applied dialectric grease. Said they hoped it would fix it. They cleared the codes. Car drove 1200 miles and now same freaking out problems again in the driveway after a home garden hose wash. On the way to the dealer. Saturn customer service far less helpful or interested than Onstar.
  • Hiker67Hiker67 Member Posts: 10
    I have an '04 Vue, with 56,000 miles. Daytime running lights quit a few months ago. Local mechanic checked wiring and, for $110 in labor, diagnosed it as either the resistor or the main computer. Quoted me $50 + labor for the resistor, so I had him try it. He just called and said the wrong part came in, and they can't get the right part. Other than that, it's been working lately. I'll drive it without the daytime running lights, rather than pay the $480 you referred to. Thanks for the information.
    Shortly after we got the vehicle (It was 2 years old and had 17,000 miles on it), the sunroof was left open during a rain shower. That seemed to trigger interior lights staying on and coming on while we were driving. Banging on the lights themselves didn't seem to help, but working the switch on the driver's side of the dash board (the one the door pushes) seemed to help. It hasn't acted up for a while now.
    We're happy enough with the vehicle for now, but I'll think hard before I get another Saturn.
    UPDATE: 3 DAYS LATER
    Yesterday afternoon, our '04 Vue freaked out like so many of you said. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, it died. Restarted, and drove downhill to town. It repeated this behavior a couple times, and we decided to turn around. Up hill on the way home, it really lagged on the power. If it was in neutral a little, I could rev the engine and get going. I hate to do that to my transmission and clutch. Also experienced the weird electrical stuff: turn signal indicator on dash would blink really fast or really slow when the turn signal was on.
    I HAD NO IDEA SO MANY OTHERS WERE EXPERIENCING THESE PROBLEMS. WHAT'S IT TAKE TO GET A RECALL ON THESE THINGS?
    Thanks for all your comments. I guess, in some warped way, it's comforting to know we're not the only ones suffering from these things.
  • swfwith9catsswfwith9cats Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Saturn Vue and have had electrical problems on and off since 2005.
    Basically, I believe it all stems from my sunroof. Both drains to the sunroof have had issues, getting clogged or broken. This causes water to be leaked down the pillar and into some electrical component. Eventually the water dries and the electrical issues disappear. I live in Florida so dont have an explanation for the "cold" issues.

A summary of my issues throughout the years that have corrected themselves with time once the vehicle had time to dry out: Every door lock had issues not working at somepoint, thankfully not at the same time. Interior lights coming on & flashing w/o any prompting. Alarm going off for no reason. Transmission not shifting out of second gear. Rear wiper staying on when in the office position.

After leaving the sunroof propped up in the rain, I am now struggling with my latest battle. No dash controls & No power steering. The check engine light/ service engine light comes on. My mechanic couldnt figure it out and said I would need to go to Saturn as it was likely the Body Control Module. I refuse to go because I know it will dry out over time. I'd rather save my money then contribute it to the ponzi scheme of dealership service!

Does anyone know where the BCM is? If I could figure out where it is and put a cool blow dryer on it, I am confident I could fix the issue.
    2002 model sunroof drains also were clogged causing the same problem. then after being unclogged, drain broke and caused additional leaking into electrical components. I wish my car didnt have a sunroof! nothing but problems!
    did you ever get this worked out?
    i have the same issue and suspect it is from water getting into the electical components from my sunroof.
    i am hoping it dries out bc i really dont want to donate a significant portion of my saving to the dealership! but driving around w no dash controls and no power steering is getting old quick!
  • zappa1zappa1 Member Posts: 1
    any info on why i have no power steering assist at all? checked all fuses they are ok
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    If your vehicle has electronic power steering, than you might want to check the power steering motor on the steering column.
  • 06vue106vue1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 VUE and the interior HVAC fan has quit working .... all fuses, relay switch and resistor board check out OK anyone with similar issues?
    Replace the fan, should correct the problem.
  • jpremiumjpremium Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 with the same electrical issues mentioned here. The tail lights do not work (only the brake lights), the dash lights are out, and the CD/radio/clock don't work. Did anyone ever find a fix to this problem?

Thanks.
    As I understand it, there are two ground collection locations on the vehicle. We have had issues again with our 2004 Vue. The interior turn signal indicator lights would glow when too many electrical accessories (headlights, fans, AC, windows, wipers, etc.) were running. It got to the point that the car would basically die whenever the AC or defroster (which also runs the compressor) were on. Both front turn signals would flash when either one was on. The common diagnosis was A BAD GROUND. I ended up running a wire (16 ga.) from the ground wire on the horn to the body ground, to the driver's side of the engine, where one of the 2 cables from the negative battery terminal attaches to the body. This has solved my problem for the time being. It was tough to find, as the horn ground had enough contact to light my circuit tester, but not enough for the horn to work properly.
    What I have done is bypass the place where the ground contact is broken. Although it works, I believe I would be better off to actually find where the ground is broken and get that point working again. Right now, all the stuff on that circuit (turn signals, compressor, horn, etc.) are using the horn ground and my patch wire to get enough ground to operate properly.
    Does anyone know where the horn ground, or the harness it feeds into, ultimately makes contact with the body to get grounded back to the battery? (See Post #77 for more details of my problems.) I understand there are two "ground collection points", for lack of more technical language. The negative battery terminal has 2 cables running from it, one to the body on the driver's side of the engine, and the other, from what I can tell, to the engine itself. I have a ground contact problem somewhere between the horn and the place where it's supposed to ground to the body, I believe.
  • flyingdutchguyflyingdutchguy Member Posts: 1
    2004 vue with slight belt slippage at initial acceleration experienced reduced power light (with the actual reduction in power), check engine light and traction control light.
    Restarting engine removed everything but check engine light. Is there any possible connection between the lights and the belt slippage? I have read enough nightmares about chronic problems with the reduced power light... this is my first
    No connection possible. If your belt is slipping than you might want to think about replacing the belt tensioner also, this is a sign of it wearing out. I'd advise taking to dealer to have reduced power light checked, especially if your Vue has the VTI transmission in it.
  • kflokflo Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 vue manual shift stalled during a uturn. When I went to restart, it was absolutely dead. Everything shut down, power windows, door locks, radio, brake lights, even the hazard light, which just made some terrible whining noise when i tried to activate it. I had to be towed home. There was no problem with the car before this. I have tried the battery but it has 12.7 volts, so not the battery. Has anyone else experienced this sudden total shutdown? From reading some of the other posts it sounds like i am lucky to have not experienced problems sooner.
  • pkk1pkk1 Member Posts: 2
    for the sixth time within this month,the gas,temperature and speedometer gauges on the panel of my 2002 saturn vue went to zero with the steering wheel being so hard to control.Anybody out there encountered such problem before, and how was it solved? Thanks
    sounds like your ecm (electronic control module)
    any way water could be leaking in through your sunroof? thats what gave me the problem.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Its a problem with your BCM (body control module). It controls everything electrical in your Vue. If yours needed to be replaced you would not be the 1st...There could be one or both of 2 problems:

1. The BCM needs to be replaced - Dealer only repair as they have to program it to your make and model. Since there are no Saturn dealers left, go to a Chevy dealer, the Equinox is essentially the same vehicle. About $ 600.00 give or take...Its located behind and just below your radio.

2. The grounds for the BCM need to be checked. They tend to get corroded on early models and will cause the same problems that you describe. They are located under the hood on the right as you're looking from the front.

Good Luck
  • hunter789hunter789 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had to jump my 06 Saturn Vue. Now the radio does not work. The fuse is fine and it will take and eject a cd but nothing else. Nothing comes up on the screen accept when you push eject and there is no disc in it displays NO DISC. Any ideas?
  • kelli960207kelli960207 Member Posts: 2
    I need help or ideas, or anyone or any mechanic know of any similar problem. I am single mom of 3 and about to lose everything due to the problems this vehicle is having. I can't afford to keep paying people to look at it with no answers. My 2004 vue maybe 6 months ago started acting strange - stalling out in the middle of driving. Dashboard lights would go out and car would stall, sometimes lights would come back on and car start back up and continue driving - other times just stall out completely. Sometimes it won't start, no dashboard lights work at all each time it won't start. Then it goes days acting normally. Then there are days where it is stalling and not starting constantly. Sometimes when it stalls the dashboard lights flicker on and off like crazy. This is a dangerous situation especially with kids in the car, and I am limited to how far I can go and not going on the highway due to not knowing when this is going to happen. This sometimes seems to happen more often when I have the DVD player plugged into the lighter outlet, or when the radio is on, but not all the time. My mobile mechanic first replaced the ignition switch but that did not solve the problem. He told me, and I have been told by others, that electrical problems are difficult if not impossible to find. I am looking for some help or answers or similar experience. thanks to anyone with some suggestions. :cry:
  • davemoosedavemoose Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Saturn Vue - V6 AWD. What just started is the 10amp fuse blows inside the car for my tail lights as soon as I turn on my car. The engine does not need to be running. The if I press the brake my 15amp fuse in the engine compartment blows. I had a trailer hitch installed last summer 2009 but have not had any problems with it. Could the trailer hitch wiring be causing the problem or could it be the BCM or could it be the ground. I know if I go to the dealer it will be more than I want to spend.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I know you don't want to go to the dealership, however I would recommend at least going to get the vehicle diagnosed. It could very well be something from the wiring from your trailer plug but, you cannot be sure without someone looking at it. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • michelle1962michelle1962 Member Posts: 1
    Am having trouble deciding, with GM having shut down Saturn wondering if major purchase like this worth it. Considering a used '09 21K miles, carfax 1-owner/1 accident (rear-end collision): will problems start AFTER 36K miles, extended wrnty who covers? GM dealer? Interior comfort a plus, a SUV that doesn't look like a truck my other considerations...please help?

M
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. As far as the warranty is concerned it depends on who it’s through. If it’s a GM warranty then any GM dealership should honor the warranty on the vehicle. GM warranty transfers to the new owner. However, if it’s a dealer warranty, you will have to have the work done at that specific dealership in order for it to be covered under warranty. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • scott192scott192 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 1999 Mitsubishi Montero. It seems that it was a grounding issue. I had someone run an extra ground wire from my alternatator to the the negative post on my battery or to any good ground on the car. I have not had a problem since. I read a lot of posts that said they all had the same problem after the battery or alternator had been replaced. That was when my problems started also. It should cost you very little to have someone run the wire.
  • m0mmylovem0mmylove Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    my dash lights are blinking like crazy, lost power steering, no sound from radio, electric locks wont work, its starts just fine and my windows work just fine? anyone know what part this could be to fix it..
  • m0mmylovem0mmylove Member Posts: 2
    my 2003 saturn vue just started doing the same thing? what was wrong with yours? what part was it? and how much did it cost?
    One of 2 problems:

1 - Body Control Module failure - A dealer only repair about $ 600-700

2- Body Control Module grounding issue - a lot cheaper than # 1 since they have to clean the grounds under the hood.
  • misseysmith75misseysmith75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 saturn vue, andthe 15 amp fuse keeps blowing!! I have to change the fuse after 30 min. of driving...such a hassle. Could it be the brake light switch?? Please help me... mother with active kids and tired of changing fuses constantly :(
  • kelli960207kelli960207 Member Posts: 2
    Finally got this electrical problem fixed!! ugh... it was a bad post in the electrical harness that goes to the dashboard. I noticed that for months the radio was acting funny... then the stalling and not starting randomly problem. All related to the same thing! not too expensive... $370 at Saturn. Not as bad as I thought it would be!! :blush:
  • skingsleyskingsley Member Posts: 2
    I loaned my '06 Vue (V6 AWD) to a friend recently. She didn't realize that it has daytime running lights and turned the lights from 'auto' to 'on' and drained the battery. After I jumped the battery to get it going again, I notice that the clock is not working, the radio and CD player also are not functioning. I checked the fuses under the hood, the only one that seemed to refer to the stereo was labeled 'prem sound', but that fuse wasn't blown anyway.
    Is there another fusebox that I need to check? Or does anybody have a suggestion that will help me fix this?
  • thalwachsthalwachs Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Has any one had problems with their DLR not working? Mine stopped working but every once in a while the green dash light blinks than goes out. I've checked the DRL relay & that is good.
    There is another on the passengers side of the center council , about where your left foot would be
    There is a resistor in the DRL circuit as well as the relay - I believe its located front left in the harness in the fender. As long as all of your wiring is good, your relay checks out OK and your headlights are not burned out, its likely the problem - its an issue that turns up from time to time. There is a TSB about it & it might have been part of a recall at one time. I think its especially prevalent in areas which see a lot of road salt...

good luck..... :shades:
  • sardog13sardog13 Member Posts: 2
    My warning lights are randomly turning on and off. The Service Engine light is on but the code comes up blank when it's checked. The ABS and Brake light illuminate off and on. The Speedometer and Tach Gauges randomly drop to zero and pop back to normal with in a second or so. This is usually accompanied by the ABS/Brake/Check Engine Light(s). On top of all that, if I turn on the Rear Windshield Wiper and then the Rear Window Defroster, the Security Light flashes and the Defroster turns off. Separately, they work as advertised. The engine,power steering and brakes are not giving me any problems. :confuse:
    Thanks for the Info. I'll check it out
  • mirandajmirandaj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Saturn Vue, and for a long time my service engine soon light has been on, and a couple weeks ago my service light came on, along with my reduced power light (along with reducing my actual power). I took my Vue to the dealership and they replaced the thermostat, oil cooler, and throttle body control module, and the lights went away and everything was great. Well now my service engine soon light is back on, and also the reduced power. Before my reduced power light comes on, my RPM's fluctuate a little for no reason so I have no idea what could be going on. I called the dealership and they told me it could be a number of reasons, and to bring it in on Monday (it's currently Friday), but I am so irritated that I don't know if I even trust them anymore. Any ideas what could be causing this??
  • skingsleyskingsley Member Posts: 2
    Turns out there were no blown fuses for the radio. It is an 'anti-theft feature'. If you replace the battery, or disconnect the radio or run down the battery, it needs to be connected up with the GM network to be re-authorized. This way the punk that steals your radio, can't use it. Funny thing was, it's also supposed to say that it's LOCked out, and mine didn't show that. It just cost me $99.50 to get my radio re-authorized.