Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Camaro Maintenance and Repair

I just bought a 85 Camaro and it is Idle is too slow. How do I adjust that? My family only knows how to adjust carburated motors. (please excuse spelling errors)

Comments

• I have an 85 stock camaro and have taken the 6cly out of and put a 350 into. I would like to run dual exhaust..has anyone done so and what might I expect..what is the best route to run pipes....also I put a fiberglass hood in place of the metal one..it seems to bind to the driver side just like the metal hood. When I lift I can hear the hood stress cracking..what can I do to make the hood rise easier.
  • bekynfrkmebekynfrkme Posts: 1
    HI I have a 1980 camaro that we are in the process of putting back on the road. We are sanding it down to the metal and was wandering if there is anything I NEED to put or CAN put on the metal , before priming it,???
    If anyone has any advice to offer I would greatly appreciate it ........thanks becky
  • camaro94camaro94 Posts: 2
    I have just recently bought a 1994 camaro and it is in great condition, except the interior visors both driver and paeesnger side need to be replaced, and the middle console lid needs to be replaced as well. Does anyone know someplace, besides junkyards, that i can find these parts for a reasonable price?
  • camaro94camaro94 Posts: 2
    Becky,

No, you dont need to put anything on the metal, thats whaty the primer is for. As long as it is sanded down well all you need to do is add the primer. If you really want to do something before primering, you can wipe the body with a very thin coat of water. This will heplp the primer set in smoother, and will also pull up any dirt hat is still left on the car.
  • Look at www.gmparts4less.com good luck
  • depending on what parts need to be fixed it would save u alot of problems down the road to get replacement pnaels because bondo is a temporary fix but it is not somthing u wanna rely on all the time
  • A couple owners back, my '86 IROC was apperently stolen. The thief had busted open the steering column to get to the ignition. However, because of this the switch to turn on the high beams cannot function. (I'm assuming the high-beams are turned on by pulling back the turning signal arm).

What exactly is that piece called? I could probably order a replace ment cover/case/column if I just knew the technical name for it.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    dimmer switch
  • ghost329ghost329 Posts: 9
    Hi i have an 84 camaro t- top. When I turn the vehicle on and press the exceleration it will rev up all the way and than begin to die off. I have to keep pressing the exceleration to keep it running.
    I've changed out the spark plugs and fuel filter but it hasn't helped.

Anyone have any ideas
  • Well I am super happy that my wife got me a camaro for my birthday, it is a 90 RS 305 with T-tops and a 5 speed. And I can fix most every thing wrong with it but I have never come across this issue before. The steering wheel is loose, it travels up and down about an inch ( only the wheel, and not left to right ). I read up on it a bit but I am not sure if tightening the 4 bolts after the tilt will fix it or not. Anyone have this problem before?
  • Hey everyone i have a 98 camaro with the v6 in it. the car was running great ive had it for 4 months now. the other day i was driving home i was only a mile from my house i got to my street and my car jus shut off... i pushed it on my block and i thought the fuel pump went out.. i left it there all day and came to check on it about 8 hours later and it started right up? i drove it straight home about 4 blocks and parked it fer the weekend. yesterday morning again it started right up so i let it run while i took a shower came out and it was off and wouldnt start again? does anyone have any idea why it might do this? :sick:
  • where is the flasher for the turn signals located - or is there one?

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,967
    The fuse panel is located behind the left hand side of the instrument panel. The hazard warning flasher is located behind the instrument panel to the right of the steering column, in the convenience center. The turn signal flasher on 1989 models is located behind the instrument panel, clipped to the right hand side of the steering column bracket. On 1990-92 models, the turn signal flasher is located behind the left hand side of the instrument panel, clipped to the fuse block bracket.

Visiting Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have a 91 iroc that has a 383 stroker, i need a tranny for her b/c 2nd is goin out! any ideas or anything?
    I think a more modern GM overdrive transmission would be great. You'd certainly improve your fuel mileage. Of course you have to figure out the electronic shifting controls, etc.

• ok i have a 89 camaro with a 2.8l v6. i just bought it got it home and have to reassemble the engine. its stripped down to the block. all the parts are here and i got new gaskets and sealants. not sure exactly where all the parts go. is there a manual or blueprint on where everything goes? if so anyone have a link. ive been searching for a week or so now just to come to deadends. please help me.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    i think i would take it to the machine shop and spend a few hundred and get it assembled. :confuse:
  • I have a 94 Z28 Camaro. It back fires and chugs while driving it around town but when you put your foot into it it's fine. We have changed the plugs and wires, distrubitor cap, fuel filter, put 4 different mass air flow sensors on, and we have took it to eight different mechanics and all they say is plugs and wires. When you hook it up to a scan tool it reads mass air flow. The EGR is been disconnected. It has magnaflow exhaust. We put fuel additive in it everytime we fuel in addition to premium gas. We have put a new battery in it. We are at our wits ends with this if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • i recently perchased a 1982 camaro and the windshield wipers make 2 very loud and distinct knocking noises each cycle when i turn them on one going up and one coming back any ideas on what could be causeing this i cant see anything that would be hitting them
    probably worn control arm bushing in the wiper armature, or loose arms, or a loose wiper motor. I think you are hearing the binding sound of mis-alignment during rotation. Think "dislocated shoulder".

• i am changing a 3 speed auto to a 4 speed standard in a 68 camaro. i was wondering what parts i need to buy to make this a succesful switch
    www.muscle-factory.com sells a complete conversion kit for $269 bucks. (not including the transmission, shifter, bell housing and starter of course).

• I have a 99 Camaro, 6 cylinder, and the radiator needs to be replaced. I'm thinking about doing it myself. Any tips/suggestions?
    Should pretty much be a nut and bolt job. Might be good to pick up a workshop manual from library or eBay or Amazon, just in case there's some little snag in there. Things to pay attention to are:

1. Putting back the right kind of anti-freeze
    2. Bleeding the system properly of air
    3. Replacing other parts that are now easy to get at. (belts, hoses, thermostat, water pump?)

4. Capturing spilled fluids, like automatic transmission fluid if your car is automatic. (cooler lines from trans to radiator).

Visiting Host, just dropping in :shades:

• I have a 1997 camaro and the drivers side door handle will not open the door. How do I replace or fix the problem so I don't have to keep climbing through the passenger side? It has manual locks and windows so hopefully this can be an easy fix.
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving
  • I just bought a 94 camaro and i have been having trouble starting it, it usually takes 5-10 minutes to start. it turns over just fine but it wont fire. I just put new plugs in it. anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

thanks,Tim
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    ignition problems on the v8 fourth-gens seem to always relate to either MAF or Opti-spark. disconnecting the maf is one possible test. there may have been a few years/engines that were without-MAF too, fwiw.
    i am not aware of a good way to test the optispark without swapping it.

for a starting problem, avoid anything but lowest recommended octane gas -
    premium gas makes it harder to start.

for the door issue like that, probly ya gotta take off the inner door panel and maybe see what's disconnected/broken ? personally i am unable to remove a panel without significant unintended entropy resulting, but hopefully you will do better.
  • either by the headlight switch or on the right side of the steering column
  • sounds like you might be experiencing gm's vats system. if you have another ignition key try that one for awhile. if crank but no start doen't return the resistor of the first key has intermittent problem.
  • if your experiencing intermittent extended crank time try this little trick.
    if your a/c relay is the same as the fuel pump relay swap them. if your extended crank time goes away. replace the relay that you put in the a/c slot. gm has a fail safe system like if you are low on oil it won't start up right away. it also limits off the fuel pump. the reason it cranks so long is because it takes a moment for the oil sender to see oil pressure. when it does see oil pressure the relay opens then the motor wil start.