Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Lease Questions

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
Ask your CX-9 lease questions here!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• goodhandsgoodhands Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a Touring model with moonroof and bose sound. MSRP is $33,490. Mazda lease is 27 months, what are the residuals and money factor? Is there any cash available for this lease?
  • goodhandsgoodhands Member Posts: 8
    CX-9 Touring with Moonroof and Bose. MSRP $33,490.00 and selling price of $31,355.54. First CX-9 sold at Bill Hood Mazda in Hammond, La.
    27 month lease 12K miles per year with a 63% residual and a money factor of 0.00088. :shades:
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings goodhands. Mazda Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00088 and 61%, respectively. This car's 12,000 mile per year residual value would be 2% higher. Mazda is not currently providing any cash incentives on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jrldrivejrldrive Member Posts: 9
    Looking for some details on the Mazda Lease for a CX9 Grand Touring FWD.

What is the money factor for a 39 month lease?
    Residual Value?
    Additional Lease Costs?

Just test drove the Touring model-Great ride.
  • thetedlathetedla Member Posts: 3
    I was offered the following lease deal in Long Island, NY, on a CX 9 AWD Touring model, no nav or entertainment:

$388/month; $2500 down (includes tax bank fees and 1st mo. payment). Term of lease is 39 months, 12k miles a yr.
    $33,010 list
    $31,263 acquisition cost
    residual value =57%
    money factor = 00137.

How does this sound?
  • suomi8suomi8 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Car Man,

I was wondering if I could get the money factor and RV for a GT AWD with the Navigation package (if that makes a difference) for both 12,000 and 15,000 and both 36 and 39 month terms.

Thanks for all the great work you do on this website, it is extremely helpful when leasing a car.
    thetedla,

That is a good lease deal. I'm hoping the money factor will apply in NJ, that is a 3.288% interest rate and a 57% residual for 39 months is good, especially when prior postings speak of a 61% residual for 27 months.

I'll let you know how we do, but we are waiting for the Grand Touring, should be in the next few weeks.
  • flino4flino4 Member Posts: 6
    Do I feel riped off. I just got a quote to lease the CX9 for 2500 down and 470.00 a month, with only 10,500 miles for 39 months. I told them they were crazy and left. I really do love the way it test drove though....
    flino4

Here is some help with getting the best lease deal. First, you need to negotiate the purchase price (typically some amount over invoice unless there are big manufacture incentives which could result in a purchase below invoice, once you have negotiated a purchase, then make certain that price is used as your "cap cost". Other information that is needed is what is the residual price (cost to buy at end of lease)and the money factor (multiple by 2400 to come up with an interest rate - crazy metric to confuse the consumer). There are lease calculators on the net to play with - check out leaseguide.com.

Basically, the deal that you were quoted appears to be at retail (MSRP) with no cap cost reduction and an interest rate around 4-5% depending on the residual. Go back and negotiate around $500 over invoice and your monthly will drop nicely.

Good luck
    Hey there... Can you help me decide if this is a good deal. The car list at 35,140 he offered it at 32,719 the lease deal is 3000 down with payment of 395.54 month for 27 months. the residual value is 67% or I could do 4000 down and 356.00 per month... I think this is a better deal than the other dealer gave me. I appreciate all of your knowledge. Maria
    The down payment is a bit steep for a 27 mth lease, ok for a 39 month lease. Are you certain this doesn't include a security deposit and the first months payment? If not, take a look at one of the earlier posts where they go quoted $2,500 down on a 39 mth lease. Make certain you check the money factor rate as well (multiply by 2400 to see the interest rate).
    The 3000.00 is the down payment and also includes the first month. I dont get what you mean by the money factor. He said he gave me the best interest rate available.. He said 27 month payment is cheaper than 39 month because of the residual or something... Maria
  • vballny23vballny23 Member Posts: 33
    I am in the market for the same vehicle on LI. Can you let me know which dealership you worked with hat gave you the best price (which I assume is the one you went with)?

Thanks
  • naoumis1naoumis1 Member Posts: 16
    Do you mind emailing me the name of the dealership? I'm in the market for cx-9 too and I live in queens..

thanks
  • naoumis1naoumis1 Member Posts: 16
    vballny23 I've been looking all over queens and li for cx-9. do you mind sharing with me what you found out? thanks
    When you sign a lease, they only show what is called a "money factor", which is a confusing way to show an interest rate. Take the money factor and multiple by 2400 to show the interest rate. Sometimes you can get good lease rates from the manufacturer, but you never should pay a higher rate than a comparable rate as if you purchased the vehicle.
  • thetedlathetedla Member Posts: 3
    Country Mazda in Huntington. But I haven't received the vehicle yet...
    Ok deal is done I got the cx9 for 3000 down the money factor ended up being.00088 or 2.11 percent I get 400.00 back and the first month paid, 27 momths at 393.00 not to bad. I got the touring cx9 ...
    thank you for all your help and imput.. maria
  • matthewjohnsmatthewjohns Member Posts: 4
    I've got a deal lined up for a fwd grand touring with rear entertainment package, review mirror w/compass (36130 msrp, s-plan price 32649). The residual quoted is 44% for a 48 month lease and 15k. The money factor quoted is .00159. Anyone quoted on a grand touring similar to this? Payment will be right 500 with tax and paying only first payment and title/tag fees upfront. What are some residuals for 48 month 15k and money factors, and I assume the dealers mark up the rates w/o disclosing?
  • wishman68wishman68 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

The information here has been very helpful. We're looking at several leases (Murano SL AWD, CX7, CX9).
    We got an offer for CX-9 AWD Touring (Nav pkg, moonroof pkg) 27 months/15k a year/for $504 a month/2k down includes (1st payment + TTL). The details: MSRP 37,000 with a selling price of 35,500 and invoice of 35,325. Is this a good deal? The money factor is .00088 with 64% residual. We are thinking of buying this after the end of the lease should the car be relatively bugless for a 1st edition vehicle.

Thanks!
    Something does add up correctly. Go to leaseguide.com/calc
    and plug in your numbers. There must be some other costs that are being taken out of your downpayment, thus increasing the cap cost. If your other numbers are accurate ($200 over invoice, .00088 money factor and 64% residual), then that is a very good deal. If you are thinking of buying, why not look to a 39 month lease to lower your payment and take advantage of a lower lease rate?
    44% residual seems low, but you are going out 4 years. The money factor is a great rate.
  • wishman68wishman68 Member Posts: 7
    jrldrive, I didn't get the final numbers but I think they are taking into account bank fees and inception fees. If going with 39 month lease wouldn't the money factor still be around .00088 and my residual a bit lower. I guess with the 27 months if we don't like the car we can give it back sooner without needing any maintenance repairs (34k miles vs 48k miles)

Thanks.
    the money factor would be higher for a longer term. Don't forget the money factor is the interest rate divided by 2400. I was just talking with one dealer and they quoted a money factor that translated into an 8% rate (way too high), so you have to shop around.
  • smartshopper9smartshopper9 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me the March terms for a 27-month lease with 15,000 miles. We're looking at the FWD GT adding the moonroof/Bose and mirror w/ homelink. Many thanks as we begin this confusing process.
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    We decided to get a Blue w/Sand GT with AWD/Nav/DVD/Sirius (it was pretty hard to find a GT wth Nav in CT, especially in blue- they are selling fast!):

MSRP: $39560
    Sales Price: $36726 (S-plan invoice pricing, fortunately- some dealers are not honoring S-Plan on this car)
    Residual: 62%
    MF: .00088
    Term: 27 Months
    Miles: 15K
    Money Down : $3500 (includes first month's payment and up front fees, and about $1850 Cap Cost reduction)
    Pre-tax monthly payment: $438

BTW- the residual on a Touring is 64% (27 months/15K), with the same MF. It's a better deal, but the GT had some enhancements we liked.

We are pretty happy with it- although I am crossing my fingers that the crash test results are as good as the related Ford Edge. We like the car- and hope it works as our attempt to avoid the minivan! We also shopped the Odyssey, Sienna, XC90, MDX, Pilot and Acadia, but liked the CX-9 a lot for the money and decided this would be worth a shot, especially with such a short term lease.

Good luck with your shopping!
  • smartshopper9smartshopper9 Member Posts: 4
    I don't mean to be naive, but how and where do you get these figures? I'm trying to price a GT FWD now, but dealers will only give me the lease price, no specs.
    Also, where do you live? I"m in South Florida and the car loaded with what you have is being priced at well over $700/month. I told them they were crazy!
    I need true price figures to try to negotiate this.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
    Go to Edmunds.com They will show you the invoice and MSRP. When negoiating the lease, you have to first negotiate the price (the difference between MSRP and the negotiated price is the cap cost reduction). If you walk into a dealer and just ask for a lease price, they will calculate it based on the MSRP.
    Any reputable dealer should be willing to share the residual and money factor with you- I confirmed from posts on this website.

When talking with sales, focus ONLY on the sales price. Edmunds has good information on how leasing works, but basically you are paying for the difference between the sales price and residual value, plus tax and interest and fees. The residual value and interest rate (money factor X 2400) are set by the bank/financial arm of the manufacturer. They are not negotiable, except that a dealer attempt to pad profit by offering different residual/interest rate values from the actual program should be rejected.

Once you are getting the proper residual/MF, your focus on the sales price brings down the total amount of your lease. Never accept MSRP, and look at the leasing and Prices Paid Boards to figure out what a fair sales price will be (these boards also list incentives, as does Consumer Reports new Car Buying Kit- some dealer incentives can be used on leases, some cannot).

For the CX-9, because it is new and "hot" (especially the GT with Nav)I have heard of dealers selling only at MSRP, and some willing to deal a few hundred over invoice. Shopping around helps a lot- I'd shoot for close to invoice, if you can get it (every market is different). There is currently a holdback on the CX-9 about 2%, I think), which means technically the dealer can sell under invoice and still make money. Few are willing to dip into the holdback right now- although you never know.

Anyways, once you decide you want the car, know what model/options, and have agreed on the right residual/MF- negotiate the sales price as if you were buying, then use the Edmunds or LeaseGuide calculator and determine where the payment should be. Find out what ALL the fees and taxes are also. Don't get sucked into a "monthly payment"discussion- you can impact payments by varying your up front money and lowering the sales price.

Hope this isn't too much info- not sure how experienced a leaser you are, but I hope tthis helps. BTW, if a dealer won't break down the lease and give you specs, you may want to go elsewhere.

Good luck.
  • luv2nou2luv2nou2 Member Posts: 1
    We just leased a GT AWD with Navigation/towing/bose audio and homelink rearview mirrow (msrp $39310) with 15,000 miles/year for $478.12 per month for 39 months. We traded in our 2005 Chrysler 300C (hemi) and had about $4000 equity in to throw our lease price down to $35000 and change. We thought we got a good deal? Anyone else have better luck?

This was with no money out of our pocket at lease signing. Also our security deposit and first month's payment was included in the agreement. Our dealership did not break our numbers down with us, so we were curious to see if we really did make a good deal?
  • matthewjohnsmatthewjohns Member Posts: 4
    Do the residuals/MF vary by the region you are in?
    They can, but the numbers I was quoted in CT seem consistent with what others in other states have posted. I suspect it is a national program...maybe this board's Host can help?
    Hi jrldrive. Mazda Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00137 and 50%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, suomi8. Mazda Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2007 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00088 and 62%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but its residual value would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Maria. The selling price that you were quoted for the CX-9 that you are interested in looks very attractive to me. The only problem that I have with this deal is the large down payment that you are being asked to make. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction. Those who make one risk losing it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello matthewjohns. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted for the CX-9 that you are interested in are right in line with Mazda Credit's current lease program for it. So there is no money factor mark up going on in your deal. This truck's selling price is very good as well (it's nice to be able to purchase through the S-Plan isn't it :) ). This looks like a good deal to me. If you like the truck, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings wishman68. $175 over dealer invoice is a very good price for a 2007 Mazda CX-9. Furthermore, the money factor and residual value that you were quoted are right in line with Mazda Credit's current lease program for this model. This is about as good as it is going to get on a CX-9 right now. If you like it, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey smartshopper9. Here's the information that you're looking for. Mazda Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2007 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00088 and 59%, respectively. Good luck in your negotiations and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new CX-9, amcdad. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi luv2nou2. You never mentioned the selling price of the CX-9 that you leased. This number will be very helpful when evaluating your deal. If you let me know what it is, I will be happy to give you my opinion of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No, matthewjohns, I don't believe that Mazda's lease money factors and residual values vary by region.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • mchearschmchearsch Member Posts: 5
    Just leased a CX-9 Touring with sunroof, roof rack and wheel locks from a dealer in Atlanta. Here are the original lease numbers that they quoted me for 39 months/12,000 miles:

GRS CAP COST $32,715.00
    CAP REDUCTN $968.46
    ---------------
    NET CAP COST $31,746.54

ADJ RESIDUAL $18,262.80
    TOT TERM DEP $13,483.74
    MONTHLY DEP $345.74
    MO LEASE CHG $118.52
    ---------------
    BASE PAYMENT $464.26
    MONTHLY TAX $32.50
    ---------------
    TOT MO PYMT $496.76

1ST PAYMENT $496.76
    CAP RED $968.46
    SLS TAX UPFNT $95.79
    1ST YR FEES $39.00
    SEC DEPOSIT $0.00
    OTHER UPFNT $399.99
    -----------------------
    TOT INIT PMT $2,000.00

DUE ON DELIV $2,000.00

This was based on a negotiated sale price of $32,170 ($1700 off of MSRP) and a MF of .00237. The GRS CAP COST includes a $595 lease aquisition fee, the dealership charges a $399 fee as well.

Once they pulled my credit, the money factor went down to .00187 which dropped the payment to $469 per month. I then asked them to give me 15K miles for that price and they agreed.

I feel like this was a pretty good deal and the vehicle is great! Hope this helps...
  • sq71sq71 Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man

The .00088 MF and 62% Residual quoted above for the GT AWD is listed as 39 month, but isn't that the 27 month program? Just want to be clear so I know what I should be looking for when I purchase.

The numbers I have been quoted by a local dealer her in the Philly area are as follows:

27 Mth
    MF .00118
    15k - 63% (S Model) and 62% (GT model)
    12k - 65% (S) and 63% (GT)

39 Mth
    MF .00187
    15k - 54% (S Model) and 53% (GT model)
    12k - 56% (S) and 55% (GT)

- I know these numbers are pretty good, but they are a little higher than those quoted by CarMan. Is this a simple case of a dealer / bank bumping them up? What are the right numbers?

- Another question: In doing the math, it seems as if it is a bad deal to purchase the 15k miles instead of the 12k because it works out to be about 22 cents per mile. Assuming this to be true, wouldn't I be better of going with the higher residual / lower payment and pay the excess miles at the end for 15 or 20 cents per mile?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
  • jumpnuglyjumpnugly Member Posts: 3
    This is a great forum and led me to test drive a 2007 CX-9 AWD Sport. It's a little more of a family vehicle than a single woman needs but there are plenty of things that compel me to give it serious consideration as my next vehicle. I was hoping you could give me feedback: 1) how does the following lease deal sound; and 2) is using my "S Plan" benefit better than trying to negotiate the price without it?

Assuming no cash down, here's the deal:
    RG-SP/39 months
    Original MSRP: 33,490
    Base Invoice: 31,158
    Acq Fee: 595.
    Gross/Net Cap Cost: 31,753
    Resid %(Book): 54%
    Resid % (net): 52%
    Reside $(net): 17,415
    money/buy factors: .00137
    Doc Fee: 50
    Title Fee: 22.50
    REg Fee: 36
    Lien Fee/PA Tire Tax: 5.00 each
    Online Regis: 28.70
    Allowable Miles: 18000
    cents per mile start: .15
    security deposit: 475 (this will be waived)
    initial payment: 1,096.36
    Monthly use tax: 39.15
    monthly use tax %: 9
    Monthly payment: $474.16

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    S-plan should be invoice, you can not buy it for less, money factor is at buy rate..they should not charge you a Doc. Fee though, being $50 I would move on, a very upfront deal.Good luck and enjoy they are awesome.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    they should not charge you a Doc. Fee

fyi....mazda dealers may charge doc fees on S-plan sales.
  • chop2chop2 Member Posts: 3
    CAR-MAN
    A Philly dealer quoted me this price for a GT AWD CX-9
    They said 299.00 under dealer invoice.It has NAV/SIRUS/
    MOONROOF-BOSE/REMOTE START.Charging me $1,095.00 for remote start and sirus.Please let me know how good a deal this is.
    Can I do better????.

$2000.00- DOWN DRIVE AWAY
    15,000 MILES-39 MONTHS
    $ 36,948.00 total without tax
    MF- .00137
    RESID-53%
    monthly pay- $548.05
  • jumpnuglyjumpnugly Member Posts: 3
    I gave them the go ahead to call another dealership and bring in the one I wanted to buy. I had to sign something to commit. Now I see that chop2's deal was $299. below invoice. Despite the S-plan, should I have tried to negotiate below as well?
    jumpnugly- For $7 a month savings ($300 over 39 months), I wouldn't worry- you should just enjoy your new ride. S-Plan is better than what most people are getting. Just go to one less movie a month. :-)
This discussion has been closed.