Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Lease Questions

Comments

• mtnjmtnj Member Posts: 12
    Hey experts!! can use some help with an offer I received, I have the numbers (hopefully) needed to tell if its a good deal. I received an offer for the CX 9 Touring w/ Bose/Leather model (dealer in NJ).
    It is 441/month. They want $2000 down for taxes, bank fee, tags/titles (nothing toward car). I told them they need to come down on that!, they are getting back to me!
    Here are the numbers:
    invoice - 32,260
    money factor - .00073
    residual - .51%
    buyout price - $17,957.10
    MSRP - 34,960 (according to Edmunds)
    Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    I just had the 2010 CX-9 AWD Touring with Sunroof/Bose package and the Keyless entry package (MSRP @ $34,177) quoted in Illinois.
    For Zero down, 15,0000 miles per year, 36 months and all taxes AND fees rolled in the lease is $479/month before fighting with the dealer for better numbers.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Welcome coog31. I'm glad that you like this forum so much.

There's no wiggle room in the acquisition fee or residual value. Chase (who Mazda runs its special leases through) charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. Consumers are free to pay this charge at signing or have it added to their car's capitalized cost to bake it into their payment, but dealers cannot waive the charge. Similarly, dealers do not have the authority to alter banks' published residual values.

The main place that you should focus your energy on in your negotiations, is getting this vehicle's selling price as low as possible. The CX-9 that you are interested in probably has a spread of around $2,700 or so between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That probably puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $600 to $700 over invoice, which is pretty good. If you have some time and you are in an area that has a decent level of competition you may be able to shave another couple hundred dollars off of this truck's price, but you're in the right neighborhood.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here's the information that you're looking for, Don.

Mazda's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00060 and 52%, respectively.

Mazda is not providing lease support on the 2009 CX-9 any longer. It is however offering the large dealer cash allowance that you mentioned on leftover CX-9s, $4,500 to be exact.

Car_man
    Host
    That's a good question, fsufan. I have seen the Mazda Drive-Off Event ads. I know that it is waiving its security deposit requirement and that it is rolling its $595 acquisition fee into vehicle's capitalized cost rather than waiving it. I suspect that Mazda is paying or waiving the first month's payment for vehicles that are leased through this program.

Mazda's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 CX-9 Sport AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00060 and 55%, respectively. This truck's 39-month numbers are .00073 and 53%.

I left out the 42-month program because it's not really a good idea to lease this car for too much longer than its basic warranty coverage of 3 years, 36,000 miles if I was in your situation. It would be beyond annoying to have to pay to fix some sort of issue out of your own pocket before returning your car.

Car_man
    Host
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    I have a very simple question.
    I have been looking at the CX-9 Touring for a month and have never read or heard the letters "GT". I see this in a great many posts to the forum here. Can someone tell me what the CX-9 GT is? Is it different somehow?
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    GT - Grand Touring trim package (as opposed to Touring and Sport trims) which is the "top of the line" trim (most "luxurious"). notable features include power liftgate, the option for Navigation, and 20" wheels (among other things).
    What you get with a GT may vary with the model year. please see Mazdausa.com for details on what each trim gives you.
    Can any experts assist in the deal I received posted in #708.
    Thanks!
    or anyone experienced with a cx9 purchase!!
    Just in case anyone is interested, Mazda is waiving the first month's lease payment on all CX-9 models, not just the Sport trim level.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mtnj. Let's take a look at this deal. The lease money factor that you were quoted is right in line with Mazda's current buy rate for a 39 month lease of this truck. That is a good thing.

Besides the money factor, the other important number to focus on when leasing is your vehicle's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and if there is any room left to negotiate. It's excellent that you know both this truck's MSRP and invoice price, but you really need to find out its selling price as well. Let us know what the selling price is and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly let you know what they think.

Car_man
    Host
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    car-man Is Mazda doing any 10K mile leases on the CX-9? If so, do you have m.f and residuals for the CX-9 Sport AWD and or FWD for 36 months?

Thanks.
    Hey Car man, Thanks for the return message. Sorry, I forgot to mention the selling price. The salesperson at the dealer was recommended by a friend and gives him a lot of business and he was told to "do the right thing", so they are pretty much doing the deal at the invoice price. I believe it was 32,260 so lets be safe and say 32,300. Thanks again!
  • nr4pacnr4pac Member Posts: 8
    Just leased a 2010 Mazda GT CX 9 with Moonroof/Bose and Nav. Stickered about $ 39,915. I lease a couple cars through business and seem to lease one every 18 months. As a reference to those interested this is what it came to $ 265 at signing total, $ 565./Month (includes tax) x 35 Months (Mazda pays first) and 15K miles per year. Car seems very nice so far and happy with transaction.
  • ssnoufferssnouffer Member Posts: 4
    I have a lease offer from a local dealer that seems good, but I don't have all the numbers...can anyone run this and give me an opinion good or bad?

-Turning in a Mazda 6S 4 months early and they are paying it off.
    -New Mazda CX9 Sport AWD with power seat, tow hitch, roof rails.
    -36 month/ 15,000 annual lease is $361 all in, only thing I add is the $29 per month taxes. $0 down, Mazda makes first payment.

Seems good as it is $40 per month less than the ad and it has about $900 in options.
  • texascuvtexascuv Member Posts: 9
    Car_man

What are the residuals for 2010 CX-9 SPORT FWD for 12k miles/year on 36/39/42 month leases?

Thanks
  • kokos7kokos7 Member Posts: 32
    Car_man

can you also check on the residuals and MF for the 2010 CX-9 GT for 15K miles/year on 36/39/42 lease?

thx
  • kegelskegels Member Posts: 20
    I have the following lease deal for a GT AWD w/ Nav, Moonroof/Bose, Pwr Liftgate and White Mica Paint

- 12,000 mi/yr / 36 months
    - MSRP=39,315
    - Residual=20,050.65
    - Cap Cost=35,935.60
    - Taxes/Fees=595
    - Cap Reduction=1,293.45
    - Net Cap=35,237.15

- Base Payment=455.02
    - Monthly Tax/Fee=42.09 (9.25% tax rate where I live!)
    - Total Monthly Payment=497.11

- Rebate=497.11
    - Cash Down=2,000

Is this a a good deal? Feedbacks greatly appreciated :)
    Hey,
    Just running this lease deal I just got by you guys. I got the 2010 Cx9 touring model with bose/leather, lift gate pkg and keyless remote. 12,000 miles per yr. Its $425/month for 42 months. I just put down my taxes upfront and motor vehicle fees. What do you guys think??
    mtnj-
    I ended up going with this deal if you want to compare it. I actually paid the taxes up front ($1,000), so ended up at a payment of $368 per month.

-Turning in a Mazda 6S (4) months early and they are paying it off.
    -New Mazda CX9 Sport AWD with power seat, tow hitch, roof rails.
    -36 month/ 15,000 annual lease is $368 all in. Mazda makes first payment.

If you compare that to your deal, you end up paying $4,600 more than me for the life of the lease...but you have the Touring with some extra options.

Too late now to worry about it being a good or a bad deal, but I don't feel like I got ripped off. Who really knows though?!
  • mixenmixen Member Posts: 11
    I think you got a phenomenal deal based on what I have been seeing. The best I have seen to date for the CX-9 sport is $399 per month plus tax plus bank fee. So based on that deal, it looks like you save about $31 per month plus the bank fee. That comes out to over $1800. Please advise what state you are in and what dealership you did business with.
    Nancy (sales manager) at Gateway Mazda in Denver, CO. Great to deal with, did the whole deal and negotiation via email. Went down and picked out the vehicle color, test drove it for about an hour and came back and the paperwork was ready. Easiest deal ever. Let them know Scott Snouffer sent you.
    I got the 2010 CX-9 Touring with moonroof/bose, power liftgate pkg with keyless entry and start system, 6-disc cd changer w/multi-information display and backup camera and dealer installed tint. 42 months, 12,000 miles/year payment is 385/month. Taxes and registration are extra. Deal included $500 Bonus Cash from Chase/Mazda for financing through Chase.
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    That's a great deal. Can you please share more of the specifics. Selling price, money factor, etc. I assume this is in Texas.

thanks
    You're right, this is in Texas. I don't have all the details since I haven't signed the contract yet. The dealer had to do a vehicle swap to get the color that I wanted so I will be going back in a couple of days to sign the contract, pick it up and see all the numbers. I know that the MSRP was $34,177 and the money factor was the promotional rate that Mazda is currently running, .00075 I believe.
  • lyakirlyakir Member Posts: 21
    car_men,

what are the current MF and residuals for CX9 touring.

Thanks for your help.
  • lyakirlyakir Member Posts: 21
    sorry, forgot to mention ... 12K/36 months please
  • vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks
    I just got an offer for a lease in NJ with the following terms:

2010 Touring AWD Bose/Moonroof/Liftgate and aftermarket overhead DVD
    36/15K
    $486 including taxes
    Due at signing : DMV, Doc Fees, 1st payment.

What do you think?
  • ajskillzajskillz Member Posts: 5
    Car Man,

What are the residual values and money factors for the CX-9 AWD Grand Touring with Bose/Moon package and roof racks for both 12,000 and 15,000 miles? The term would be 36 months.

Thanks!
    ajskillz
    Here is what Mazda dealers gave me for a 36/15K lease of a GT AWD last week:

MF 0.0006
    RV: 50%

The RV for the same 36/15K lease but for a Touring AWD is 52%, same MF.
    Thanks kokos... any idea on 12,000 mile lease with same vehicle? For some reason, 50% seems low for the residual. I believe that was the number given to me by a dealer for 42 months and 12,000 miles. Maybe the increased mileage offsets the shortened term.
    A 42/12K lease puts 42K miles on the car. The 36/15K puts 45K miles, so they are about the same. Leads me to believe the residual would be about the same as well.
    For a Touring the residual is better by 2% than the GT.
    I just talked to my dealer. Here's what I was given.

2010 CX-9 GT, AWD, moon/bose, roof racks, white pearl paint

MSRP: About $37,900
    Cap Cost: $35,700
    Mileage: 12,000
    Term: 36 mo.
    Residual: 51%
    MF: 0.00060
    Tax: 7%
    Doc. Fee: $150
    Payment $566

The sales manager proceeds to tell me that I won't be able to come up to the exact number with my computer, so I need to come in to go through it. Well, needless to say, I ran the numbers on an online lease calculator. It spit out $526 as the payment. How on earth can I be $40 off on the payment if they gave me the cap. cost and the correct other data?

Car Man or kokos??? Any ideas? Which number sounds more correct?
    You need to ask them are they including the $595 acquisition fee in the cap cost? (this is from Chase financing and is non-negotiable). Also are you rolling any fees in the lease like DMV? Is there a cap cost reduction? What is the total due at signing breakdown?

I use this lease calculator that is identical to the lease form they give you once you sign:
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/regm.xls
    Using this calculator and your data it gave me a monthly payment of almost $540.

Also some states have weird ways of calculating the sales tax. See http://www.leasetips.com/salestax.htm
    Thanks, that makes sense. I think i'm going to end up buying anyway. I have a trade-in and it would work out fine.

Does anyone have some info on the amount dealers are taking under sticker? The dealer I visited was working the lease at $2,200 less than sticker. I haven't talked to the guy to verify that they'd sell it to me for this amount, but I'm betting that it would be accurate.

However, when I called a different dealer, he acted like he wouldn't drop the price more than $1,300. This second dealer mentioned he had $35,249 in a CX-9 AWD GT listed at $37,900. Seems like some b-s to me. There's no way his margin is that thin on a 2010 model.
    I think you are better off negotiating from the invoice price not the sticker.
    Couple dealers were quoting me prices about 600 under invoice.
    Hi wnuk. I believe that Mazda does offer 10,000 mile per year leases. If you were to lease a 2010 CX-9 Sport AWD through Chase right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its money factor and residual value should be .00060 and 56%, respectively.

The money factor for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 CX-9 FWD is the same, but its residual value is 3% lower.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, mtnj. Dealer invoice is a very attractive selling price on a leased 2010 Mazda CX-9. If you like the truck, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi texascuv. Here's the information that you're looking for. Chase's current money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 CX-9 Sport FWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00060 and 52%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease of this truck are .00073 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello kokos7. Mazda's current money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00060 and 50%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00073 and 48%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello lyakir. Chase's current money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2010 CX-9 Touring AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00060 and 52%, respectively.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
    Ah ha :surprise: I see that you did mention those variables, lyakir. I got the term right, but the mileage allowance was off. Add 2% to the 15,000 mile per year residual values for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ajskillz. Chase's current money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00060 and 50%, respectively.

The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with 12,000 miles per year is the same, but its residual value is 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks a bunch for the info kokos!

I ended up buying a GT AWD, White Pearl, Moon/Bose for $600 under invoice.

$34,399 with sticker at $37,650.

The only thing I'd have done differently would've been to ask for more under invoice! I went off of your number and the sales manager made it happen right then over the phone. This was the second dealership I talked to.

I guess I'll go ahead and post a recommendation for anyone looking for a Mazda in Indiana. If you're anywhere near Indy, go see the guys at Ray Skillman Mazda, near Speedway. The service was fantastic and the prices on both the new truck and my trade-in were spot-on!

P.S... My CX-9 rocks!!! It's no sports car, but it's darn close for a 7 passenger SUV. I've already taken a 3 hour trip with it and it has superb highway manners!

If you're thinking about getting one, stop thinking and go work a deal before the end of the year!!!
  • davem106davem106 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for some help with the RV% and MF for a 2010 CX-9 GT FWD with 12K per year 36 months. Are these the same for a 42 mos? The dealer seems to be pushing this term.

From what I can guess by reading the posts here I'm using 51% and .0006. Also per the USAA car buying program the price I get is exactly $1250 under invoice.

MSRP (with Splash/Lift/moon/nav/rails/tow) = $38,190
    Invoice = $35,264
    USAA Price = $34,014

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm looking for some help with the RV% and MF for a 2010 CX-9 GT FWD with 12K per year 36 months. Are these the same for a 42 mos? The dealer seems to be pushing this term.

Residual for a FWD CX-9 GT is 49% for 36 months and 46% for 42 months for 12,000 miles per year.

Mazda is pushing the 42 month term and they are using that in their advertising.

Buying the car at a USAA price is not garenteed. A dealer has to be willing to take a $1,250 under invoice deal.
    ajskillz, you're welcome, enjoy the new car.

I have a deal in the works for a Touring one. Hopefully I will pick it up next week.
  • davem106davem106 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the numbers. On the 42 month 12K they gave me the 46% at .00075. Is this good? Payment $489 with $1000 down. I agree on the USAA info, but this is the best price I can find on the net.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Thanks for the numbers. On the 42 month 12K they gave me the 46% at .00075. Is this good? Payment $489 with $1000 down. I agree on the USAA info, but this is the best price I can find on the net.

The lease program being offered by Mazda is pretty good. The residual and money factor are pretty good, IMO.

As for the payment, since I do not know the MSRP, selling price or tax + reg charge, I cannot tell you if you are getting a good deal or not.

In theory, you should not even have to come up with $1,000 down. Taxes can be rolled into the payment.
This discussion has been closed.