Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Heating / Cooling

124»

Comments

• xsssssss1xsssssss1 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    I have noticed that my 2004 Sienna manual A/C system has the following problem recently:

1. When I turn on A/C, the A/C selector light is on, some cold air comes out.
    2. After 5-10 minutes, the air intake selector light automatically turns on, which indicates that it recirculates the air inside the car.
    3. While A/C is on, I could not turn the air intake selector light off unless I turn the A/C off.
    4. If I don't turn on the A/C, I can tune on/off air intake selector freely.

Has anyone any idea what is wrong? Is it an expensive repair?

Thanks,

Sean
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    A bit backwards but....

As a SAFETY measure recirculate will NOT remain on unless the A/C is operational. In recirculate mode there is a danger that the cabin atmosphere RH, Relative Humidity, will rise high enough (due to human metabolism, breathing, perpiration, etc.) to fog the windshield.

With the A/C operational there is generally enough dehumidification capability that the safety concerns are alleviated.
  • tuctemtuctem Member Posts: 6
    Owned van since 12/10 -had 34Kmi, now 39K. I need help.
    Turning the Ignition to the ON position, I hear lots of noise coming from the passenger side of the console - as though there are stepping motors trying to reset to a "zero" position which they fail to find. Seems like it needs an input from a sensor ... to complete the loop - it may be related to the A/C system. Thx.
    I am still trying to figure out why the front a/c unit - with the ign switch to ON -
    engine not running, i hear a (stepper?) motor eager to find its reset point never finding it,
    mixing short stops with short run 'excursions" .

Today I noticed that the rear A/C panel's "auto mode" is stuck ON as indicated by its green LED ; i cannot "deselect" it. Could this be related to the above ?
    Will someone tell me what is the state of the rear a/c panel lighs when the engine is tuned ON with no front A/C panel selection functions selected ?

I went to the dlr: serv advisor " you have no problem..."

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
  • dnicklasdnicklas Member Posts: 1
    Where is the Air conditioner receiver located? Is there a low limit switch on the receiver. A/C stopped working suddenly. Have checked the relay and it is working properly. Hopefully just a low limit switch.

Thanks,
    Where is the Air conditioner receiver located?

A picture shows it on one side of the condenser.

Possibly on the driver's side. A plastic cowling needs to be removed

to expose the condenser - I see plastic "buttons" holding it in

place.

Condenser is located in front of the radiator.

Pictures are accessible by membership at your

local Library - they are ok
    Problem fixed. Replaced Servo assembly , part number 87106-08060,
    at the dealership . No luck with first DLR, but 2nd one showed more interest in helping me.

I mentioned the rear A/C panel being locked in auto mode, but this is OK, and do not know how it is no longer in that state.

(mess156/157)
  • bigdad5bigdad5 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    My 2007 Sienna's A/C does not work. The compressor clutch engages but does not seem to pump. I had a tech put it on A/C gauges, and it read no movement on the pressure. He said there might be a flow switch somewhere. Any ideas?
    Open the hood, turn engine ON, turn A/C ON. Watch your fingers...
    Cooling fans behind radiator should be running...(if not, no cooling)
    There are two A/Clines on the passenger side of the engine compartment - the larger diameter one shoud be HOT to the touch, and the smaller diameter one should be Cold. This should happen within the first minute or so of A/C operation. If this is not happening, get a tech who is interested in helping you, and by the way - some A/C gauges are such that they fail to push the Schrader valve center pin , and no "action" is registered by the gauges. Adapters may be needed. Not sure if this the case in your Car, but it is in my other vehicle. The A/C comp clutch is "picking" that indicates to me that the system has refrigerant but may be in need of some, but get another HI/LO gauges reading before adding.
    entry #162, 2nd sentence - should read:Cooling fans behind radiator should be running...(if not, this results in no A/C cooling) ...
  • dmanatinedmanatine Member Posts: 1
    The engine fans are running faster than they normally do an they only do this when the engine reaches a higher rpm. It also makes a vibrating noise when they run faster.
  • boltgeekboltgeek Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know about this.....

I have an 04 sienna that when the HEAT is turned on it blows cold air(AC?) on the right side vents , and hot on the left side.

Bizarre, just started this out of nowhere?
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    There is an air mix box in the center of the dash behind the middle vents that contains both the heater core and the AC evaporator. CE & LE models have one temperature air mix solenoid & flap, while the XLE has two (separate left and right controllers & a more upscale split mixer box. The hardware and controls are different, so which van are we talking about?
  • my2004siennamy2004sienna Member Posts: 1
    in My car AC or Heat turns on only when car is running on 40 miles or more speed.
    As soon as car stops at traffic light or it is in park position heat or Ac does not work. while in park position cooling fan runs rapidly and makes noise.
    I added coolant in radiator. Heat indicator in Auto meter panel after car runs few miles remains on slightly higher then middle position.
  • mhw1mhw1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Sienna and we noticed last night that the middle and rear vents were blowing cold air while the front vents were blowing hot air. We let it run for 15-20 minutes, tried turning it on and off and everything else we could think of. Does anyone know what is wrong.
  • gedgoudaslgedgoudasl Member Posts: 21
    Have a diagnostic run on the rear heat/ac. Something (a sensor) might be telling the system that it is hot in the rear so it is not letting the hot air circulate. The diagnostic read out will tell you what the system thinks the temperature is in the rear, this governs the systems response.
  • joeskjoesk Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my 2006 Sienna does not blow air out of the front vents for both heater and AC(rear fan works fine) I can turn on heater or AC for the rear seats but would not blow air in front. is there a fuse for front heater/ac blower fan? Thanks, Joe
  • relooky01relooky01 Member Posts: 6
    Check post number 132 on page 14. Swapping the two relays should move the problem from the front to the back if the front relay (HTR) is bad. Worked on my 2005. Good luck.
  • arprincearprince Member Posts: 3
    Having issues with the aircon unit for sometime. It does not cool (heater was ok during winter). I would add freon and it would be cool (but not as good as before when it was working fine) for a few days. Have done so (add freon) several times already. Any possible remedies I can check? TIA
    Clearly, you have a leak somewhere that needs to be properly diagnosed and fixed! Either get the stuff with the florescent dye and get a blacklight, or take it to a shop that has a electronic leak detector.
  • jaredl_jaredl_ Member Posts: 1
    I have this same problem in my 04 sienna. wondering if you ever found a solution?
  • dricekricedricekrice Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Toyota Sienna LE AWD and had the ac stop working. It had been working fine the day before and even earlier in the day, but now it just blows hot. I doubted it was the problem but to make sure bought some refrigerant to add to the system and it almost seemed like the low pressure side was not low pressure as none of the refrigerant would go in. But maybe it was just that it didn't need any at all. What should I do to test and find/confirm the problem?
  • b1tbuck3tb1tbuck3t Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    We have a 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE which is having A/C problems. Intermittently it is not blowing cold air in the front. The rear A/C is able to consistently blow cold air. Checking the inspection port on the drier shows bubbles moving when the compressor kicks in. I would not be surprised if it could use a little refrigerant given the age of the vehicle but the system is blowing consistently cold air in the rear.

When the A/C seemed to stop working we have found if you raise the temperature in the front to max heat and then adjust it back down to cool it seems to get stuck on heating. Conversely if you go to max cool you can usually get it to switch to cool even when raising back to 74 degrees.

There is a ticking noise directly behind the center vents (where I assume the mixer box is) that will stop if you go to max heat or cold but seems to continue if you leave it at around 74 degrees.

Any help with additional trouble shooting steps would be appreciated.
    edited July 2012
    A constant ticking sounds like a failure of the air mix solenoid assembly. A solenoid is a motor with positional feedback, so the clicking is likely from stripped gears as a result of the motor trying to fight a stuck blend door.

Edit: Sorry - got side tracked and didn't finish the thought.... So, you'll need to work up from under the dash to locate the solenoid, and replace it. But as important, check out the mix door movement to ensure it moves easily. Binding or lack of lubrication will only kill another motor assembly.
  • smyleguysmyleguy Member Posts: 1
    traveling back from florida trip with 50 degree oat
    we had trouble getting heat to driver's side unless set to
    "max heat". seems intermittent at best.
    due for first service, do I have legit complaint? thread seems to
    point to repeating problem
    smyleguy
  • audwxe0audwxe0 Member Posts: 1
  • prowl66prowl66 Member Posts: 2
    How have things gone since you did this?. I have passengers side blowing cold but driver's side blowing warm. This sounds great if it works but doesn't cause other issues
  • gsblossgsbloss Member Posts: 1
    at about the same time these two things started to happen, not sure if they are connected...Fan Speed Switch for Heater/AC only turns the fan onto high when in the high spot, no other spots make the fan work. Same week the car over heated while parked with the engine on and AC on. Only took 10 min and his done it twice.
    Coolant levels are fine and no leaks have been found
    But when my wife got home yesterday, while the car was warm I noticed the left side (drivers side) cooling fan on the radiator was not turning, but when I turned on the AC it would still not come on, BUT as soon as I turned the fan speed switch to off the fan would come on for a brief second and then turn off not to come back on. Any ideas?
    edited July 2013
    There is a fan control logic module behind the radiator between the fans on a post (IIRC). That gets temperature data, plus settings info from the AC Amplifier (dash control panel) and outputs to the fans. While it could be a bad fan motor, most likely one of these electronic units isn't telling the fans they need to be running.

The dash gauge on most cars is really dumbed down, and the needle will hang in about the same spot when the engine is from around 170-215' F. You need to be plugged into the OBD port to really see what the coolant temp is. So likely the temps are climbing, but you don't get a real indication that things are going bad until just before the coolant boils at 235' F.

The interior fan speed switch also interfaces with the AC Amp, so perhaps it's pointing to that module as well. It's going to take some professional diagnostics to figure this out. The blower motor speed control also relies on a blower resistor module that is located within the interior air stream to keep it cool. I once had an overheating engine that blew such hot air into the interior that it cooked this module and melted the solder on the individual resistors! The result is a single high speed, and the open ckts at the other spots will be off - exactly as you described. So perhaps the events are connected. After addressing the overheating, I (being cheap) simply resoldered the resistors back in place and the module lasted the life of the car.
  • cherie65cherie65 Member Posts: 1
    The heater blows cold air on the driver's side of my 2005 Toyota Sienna. What causes this? The rear and the passenger side are working fine.