Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• jski1jski1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, that statement sounded like I have to have a muscle car but I am actually pretty low key when it comes to that otherwise I'd be looking at a totally different class of vehicles. I certainly wouldn't be looking for a mid-sized SUV if it was all about HP. The fact is I believe the 4 cyl. is undersized for that class of automobile and am willing to bet they come out with a 6 cyl. option in the next year or so.

Certainly there are those very satisfied with the 4 cyl. and before I test drove it I was pretty convinced I would purchase it.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    The Escape is a pretty old design. It's been updated but even the '08 isn't really new. IIWM I'd steer clear of that one.

You touched on one of the problems I find with Hyundai vehicles in general; they seem to get too low MPG. $4 and $5 per gallon is in the future. IIWM I'd make MPG a priority unless you have money to burn or get reimbursed for your gas expenditures.

If it's not going to be a CR-V (and it seems as if it won't) the Mitsu seems like a good choice. The brand really has been beaten back in the last few years by poor sales in the US. Hopefully it hasn't effected the vehicles or their dealer network. Good luck.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    and am willing to bet they come out with a 6 cyl. option in the next year or so.

And I am betting that you will never see a V6 in the CR-V. But you may see a 4 cylinder Diesel in the near future, mated to a 6 speed manual. The EU gets diesel CR-V with 6 spd stick which yields about 40 mpg in mixed driving with 250 ft. lbs of torque.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Ok, I realize there are some SUVs that get better gas mileage than others, but not by much. I drove home after filling up my SF Limited FWD tank and reset the average miles per gallon. I started out in the city with traffic lights. I got to highway for the ten mile drive home. I got 27.4 mpg going from 35-62. The speed limit on the highway is 65 and people were flying past me. I don't care. I want to save some money, get better gas mileage and show the oil companies a thing or two. But from the looks of it, I may be the only one. Better gas mileage can be had!
  • technikaltechnikal Member Posts: 14
    As of today, we own both. We've had a CR-V EX for a while, and just purchased the Santa Fe SE today.

I was surprised by the Santa Fe - in terms of standard features, ride quality, warranty and reliability reports from CR, JD Powers, etc. We've been pretty much a Honda/Toyota family forever, so risking a Hyundai was hard for me to do. However, it just 'felt' right. I know the resale value isn't there (though with the deals Hyundai is making, I should be 'even' after a few years), and the 10 year warranty helps ease my concerns as well. The Salesman asked for the number it would take to close the deal today, I gave him one I didn't think he'd meet - and he did - so I'm now a Hyundai owner!

I think both are excellent vehicles out of the gate. The CR-V has been one of the best cars I've ever owned - smartly designed, safe, reliable, practical, superb resale value... The only dislike I have is the 'flip-forward' rear seats, which suck up 1+ feet of cargo length. The Santa Fe just 'feels' like a much nicer and more expensive vehicle, even though it's cheaper with current deals. It's quieter, smoother and a bit nicer all around. The v6 is nice, though the fuel economy sucks comparatively. I can only hope that reliability holds up to the stuff I'm seeing in CR and JD Powers. If not, I guess I'll chalk it up to learning, head back to Toyota or Honda, and stay there...
  • smlpkg611smlpkg611 Member Posts: 15
    I've test driven several smaller suv models. I thought I had it narrowed down to an Outlander. Started looking again and am almost sure I'll get a Sante Fe. I liked the Outlander's handling and exterior styling. We didn't like the flip foward seats and some of the interior quality. The carpeting is pieced in the second row. I want a sun/moonroof and power driver seat so I would have no choice but to get the leather option. The Sante Fe with the 3.3 is nice for the money and it handles well also. Add the rebate/lower interest rate and it becomes a pretty attractive sale. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on a new car.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on a new car.

Are you looking to spend a ton keeping a car then?

Purchase price is just part of the equation. Look for 5 year cost of ownership and the resale values if you are not going to keep it for over 10 years.

Gillete model was always to sell the handles for cheap, or give away, but charge a lot for cartridges. Same for inkjet printers.

Don't focus on just one part of the equation.
  • stingray7868stingray7868 Member Posts: 5
    I test drove the Hyundai Santa FE Limited and the Mitsubishi Outlander LS a few days back. In my opinion the Outlander was a much better ride, very smooth and the suspension was great, seats were very comfortable, very good driving position. Meanwhile the Hyundai felt sluggish and in the highway the seats were shaking somewhat, I mentioned this to the sales person, got another hyundai SF limited to drive and it felt the same way, I was not very impressed with the ride. The only thing that I did not like about the Outlander was those yellow instrumentation lights.
  • skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    Well, I cannot stand the dash in the Outlander, FUGLY....

As far as quality, my sister works very high up the food chain at Honda, when I told her that Hondas were too expensive for what you get, even the used ones. I told her that I was looking at the SF and she said that Hyundai makes great cars... I was like wow, why would you a ranking person at Honda tell me that. She said that really all of the car companies are very close on quality and reliablity. Also, that Hyundai will not have poor trade-in values for much longer. In 3 years by Hondas estimation Hyundais will only be 2-3% lower in trade-in than Honda. In 5 years it will probably be 0-1%. So all things considered Hyundais are no longer a risky buy. I figure that most people that go on message boards to bash a company have investments in competing companies, or they have other issues with that company. It's really sad actually, that some of you would waste your time posting negatives about Hyundai and have nothing to back it up with. Oh well to each their own...
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I share your opinion of the outlander's interior but that makes horseracing. Mits always did some strange stuff to their vehicles. When I first saw the Outlander's exterior, I was attracted to it....turned off when I entered it but it did drive ok...then I went and bought the 07 SF...no regrets either so far. The SF just felt so much more solid to me (got the SE AWD)

A friend is pretty high up in the Toyota org said their last corporate meeting was spent with a lot of time devoted to hyundai and their increasing quality as well. Apparently Toyota has also cast an eye at the Hyundai company as being a potential LARGE threat! Interesting.
  • skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    In general, Honda the company are snobs. They still believe that they have a far superior product. I own a Honda Prelude and a Hyundai SF and the Honda is a nice, good quality car, but so is the Hyundai. I do like how Honda has the navi and backup camera in thier CRV. Overall, though I felt that they Hyundai was a better vehicle for the money. I liked the safty features and when I read the crash test results, the Hyundai was the only suv/crossover that had no actual injuries to the dummies. I think Toyota and Honda are keeping a sharp eye to their rear and watching Hyundai move up the ladder quickly.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    compaing the CRV against the Hyundai SantaFe??? Shouldn't it be compared against the Hyundai Tuscon?????
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    From my point of view CR-V is competing with the Santa Fe. Cargo space is similar and price is similar (at least in Canada).

As I see it,
    CR-V Advantage
    - better fuel economy
    - aux audio port
    - better handling (not so tipsy)
    - 2nd row seats can slide
    - optional Navi with backup camera
    - driver window auto-up

Santa Fe
    - power drivers seat with lumbar support *
    - dual zone climate control *
    - smooth and powerful V6
    - optional 3rd row seats

* will be available in 2008 models on CR-V

The other stuff is mostly subjective (looks) or equivalent (safety, features, and to a lesser extent interior which an edge to the CR-V, although the leather on the Santa Fe seems like it's "better").
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Navigation will be available on the 2008 Santa Fe

Sound system, comfort and interior volume, among others, I would give the nod to the SF.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I agree that the CR-V competes more closely with the Santa Fe than with the Tucson. After looking very closely at all 3 before ultimately buying a Santa Fe Limited AWD, I'll add a few things to your comparison.

Santa Fe Limited's 3.3 liter V6 is much more responsive than the CR-V's 4 cylinder. To me, the CR-V felt significantly under-powered.
    The Santa Fe's 3.3 liter V6 is also extremely smooth and quiet; it feels like a very refined engine.
    CR-V's 2nd row seats don't fold flat.
    CR-V's center stack-mounted shifter is quite unappealing IMO.
    I didn't find the CR-V to be the least bit fun to drive. The Santa Fe Limited is IMO extremely enjoyable to drive.
    Santa Fe's interior lighting is an absolute kick, especially the illuminated cup holders!
    Honda can't come close to Hyundai's warranty.
    I'm still undecided.

While the CR-V's interior is very nice, it's "over-rated". I found the Santa Fe's leather much more appealing. CR-V also lacks an intermittent wipers on the rear and wiper heats on the front.

2nd row not folding flat isn't an issue for me as the second row will be occupied by baby seats and will never be folder. This leaves the usable cargo space about the same in both vehicles.

My current cars are the Honda Fit and Acura RSX, so you can see why I would think that the Santa Fe is a bit tipsy. OTOH, I'm kind of tired of engine and road noise on long trips and wouldn't mind having a nice, smooth hwy cruiser.
    Have you driven a Santa Fe Limited? If not, I recommend that you do. A test drive could make your decision much easier; it certainly did for me.
    Yes, I test-drove the top trim available in Canada, which is a GLS (equivalent to Limited?) with 3.3 V6, AWD, 18" alloys, leather, fully loaded.

You can really feel the weight during quick lane changes, and body sway on tight on-ramps. But the steering feel was excellent and the engine was a delight.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Have you driven a Santa Fe Limited? If not, I recommend that you do. A test drive could make your decision much easier; it certainly did for me."

What's the real-world MPG on the Santa Fe?
    I'm getting around 23 MPG on the highway and 16 - 18 in stop and go traffic. I have a Limited AWD (3.3 liter) with around 3500 miles on it.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I started this thread last spring. I just got 28.8 mpg on an all highway trip twith the new CRV this weekend. Also, the NYTimes did a comparison that showed that the CRV has as much, if not slighly more space than the Sante Fe.
    The Sante Fe is certainly a good car and we debated this a few months ago. It's really personal preference. With incentives, the Sante Fe comes out the same if not cheaper, in some trim lines than the CRV. They are both good choices.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It's not really fair to compare fuel economy between I4 (CR-V) and V6 (Santa Fe) but I can tell you both do well in that category.

By the way, the Santa Fe is larger:

Passenger Volume: CR-V 100.9 / Santa Fe 108.3
    Maximum Cargo Volume: CR-V 72.9 / Santa Fe 78.2

On Honda's website, they list Tuscon as one of its competitors on the Compare Vehicles section - fyi
    My mistake on the passenger volume. I still feel they are both good coices and personal preference will play a part.
    As far as fuel economy, some people want better mpg, while others would like to have more highway power. I think the only reason I was comparing the CRV to the Sante Fe to begin with was that they were both new models, while the Tuscon was older.
    If you don't fold down the 2nd row, the CR-V actually has a tad bit more room behind the 2nd row. Something to consider if you have young children with baby seats, and therefor won't be folding down the 2nd row.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    The CR-V and the Tucson are comparable vehicles; the Santa Fe is considerably larger, and competes against the Pilot.

For example, the CR-V and Tucson have essentially the same wheelbase (103.1 for the CR-V vs. 103.5 for the Tucson), which the Santa Fe's is longer (106.3). The CR-V and Tucson are the same width (71.6 and 72.1) while the Santa Fe is wider (74.4). The CR-V and Tucson have almost identical curb weights (3549 and 3548) while the Santa Fe is heavier (4022). Front and rear shoulder room are, likewise, identical in the CR-V and the Tucson, while the Santa Fe is larger. The CR-V and Tucson are both 5-passenger vehicles, whereas the Santa Fe can seat 7. The CR-V and Tucson have similar horsepower availability (max of 166 for the CR-V and 173 for the Tucson), whereas the Santa Fe is a lot more powerful (242 hp).

About the only place that the Santa Fe and CR-V are directly comparable is the price tag. A loaded CR-V will cost about the same as a loaded Santa Fe, while the Tucson will be $2-4,000 less.
    I asked that same question originally and got shot down.
    As I said before, I started the thread when I had been shopping or both last winter. IMO the Sante Fe was a similar price as the CRV. Both cars were newly changed, while the Tuscon was out a few years. Actually, you are correct. The comparison should be Tuscon vs. CRV.
    Thanks, stevecar, I sort of thought they (the CRV and Tuscon) were more of the same size to compare than against the SantaFe.
    NORTSR
    Tucson has about 1/2 the cargo space as the CR-V. Santa Fe has more similar utility. For this reason alone, the Tucson doesn't even make my short list that includes CR-V and Santa Fe.

I'm reading and posting in this thread because I'm curious what others think of two, and to see if there are any non-obvious things to consider that's not easily seen by a quick test drive.
    I looked closely at the CR-V EX AWD with leather and navigation and actually took it for a test drive. On paper it looked like the ideal small SUV for my wife and me:

Honda quality
    Overall nice appointments
    Available navigation (not common in this class)
    Leather seating (heated)
    Ideal size for our needs

In short, I went into the test drive wanting to be impressed with the CR-V. Unfortunately, I wasn't. It was boring to drive. (It's tough to articulate exactly what was missing. Steering was numb, engine was on the anemic side, acceleration was weak.) I felt like I was driving a tired appliance. Admittedly, the navigation was nice but it didn't make up for the fact that the CR-V was just plain dull. I also didn't care for the fact that the rear (2nd row) seats don't fold flat; they fold forward and rest against the front seat backs. The arrangement is nowhere near as tidy as the Santa Fe's flat-folding 2nd row seats. Another thing is the CR-V's gear shifter - it's mounted at the bottom of the center stack rather than on the console. It's no big deal, I suppose, but just didn't care for it.

We ended up buying a Santa Fe Limited AWD and I couldn't be happier with it. The only thing it gives up to the CR-V IMO is the lack of an available navigation system. (Even that will be corrected later in the 2008 model year.) With its 242 hp V6 (compared with the Honda's 166 hp I-4), power driver's seat, 18" wheels (vs. the Honda's 17"), dual zone electronic climate control, HomeLink, front fog lights, and auto-dimming inside mirror, it was a simple choice. Add to that the very cool blue interior lighting (including the front cup holder!), illuminated steering wheel audio and cruise control buttons (also in blue), and the best warranty in the business.

In fairness, the CR-V has some things that are missing on the Santa Fe e.g. a flip-up liftgate window, engine immobilizer, rearview camera (on navigation-equipped models), rear reading lights, multi-disc CD changer (in-dash), MP3 input, RDS, and a memory card slot. These are all cool features but IMO not enough to make the total package as desirable as the Santa Fe.

We've had our Santa Fe Limited AWD with Premium Package (power moonroof) for 3.5 months and couldn't be happier with it. It's remarkably enjoyable to drive. I'm impressed by a lot of things on the Santa Fe but I think the most impressive part is the outstanding drive train. It's smooth, powerful, and whisper-quiet. The entire vehicle is well-built; it reeks of quality. I'm sure a few issues will crop up over time but it definitely looks as though Hyundai has done their homework with the Santa Fe.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The only thing it gives up to the CR-V IMO is the lack of an available navigation system."

And about 20% less MPG (23 highway vs. 27 highway). I had a 2003 CR-V, which would actually produce around 30 MPG at 65 MPH (pure highway), and that was with only a 4 speed and AWD. The current CR-V has a 5 speed and is available with FWD in the higher trim models. In town, one cannot really expect better than 22 MPG (with very careful driving).

The CR-V is not really a competitor of the Santa Fe; it is being compared simply because Honda did such a good job of packaging a lot of interior space into a small exterior. But the Santa Fe is designed to compete with the Honda Pilot (which, BTW, gets almost exactly the same MPG).

Honda and Hyundai have very different engineering standards; they have different expectations for the engines and the ride. It is a matter of preference which one is preferred.

Congrats on your purchase!
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    RE: "The CR-V is not really a competitor of the Santa Fe; it is being compared simply because Honda did such a good job of packaging a lot of interior space into a small exterior."

I think what makes people compare the two is price. As many others did, we also started out looking at the CRV, but when we saw how much more you can get with the Santa Fe for less money, it was a no-brainer.
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    I was considering a CRV also, but I went to some of the forum boards/user reviews and it seemed like it was nothing but bad experiences - anyone else see this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People tend to post more when there's a problem so take that into account. The consumer ratings at the top show that both the CR-V and Santa Fe are close in customer satisfaction (but you have to read those too - some people rate their car before they peel the Monroney sticker off the window).
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2007 and have had zero problems. I get 25 MPG in real world driving(everyday mix with no air cond). I've got the 2wd model with leather. My tires track true and the engine has plenty of power. Everything works like it is supposed to. It is comfortable and roomy. Try out the rear seat. You can fit real adults comfortably(thigh support & leg room). This is only my second auto transmission in 38 years of driving, and it works great. I love the button for instant power and slowing. I'm sure there are thousands of others with the same opinion. People post problems on the forum. There is nothing wrong with that. All info(good or bad) is GOOD info, in my opinion.
  • hermanhhermanh Member Posts: 2
    My wife initially wanted the CR-V but after checking out the Santa Fe decided to go with the Hyundai. If the CR-V offered a power driver seat we probably would have gone with the Honda, but they're both great small sport utes and I think that they are definitely competing for many of the same customers. They were in our case at least.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If the CR-V offered a power driver seat we probably would have gone with the Honda

For 2008, they do, along with dual climate control, the uplevel stereo w/o having to get NAVI, and a rearview camera with the NAVI. These are a few of the changes made for 2008

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/842/releases/4135
  • danprtrdanprtr Member Posts: 25
    The CRV is a really nice car with great mileage (for it's size) a nice ride and Honda durability baked in.

We just bought a Santa Fe Limited while they were clearing out the '08's. We feel we paid 2 to 3 (000) less than the Honda and received many interior upgrades. Most important for my wife (primary driver) were the power drivers seat (I don't get that one but she constantly pointed it out), higher driving position (liked that about the old minivan), Good handling and tight turning radius (hated those about the old minivan), and larger size without feeling it when driving.

If the CRV and Santa Fe were the same price, it'd be a toss up for us and depend on whether we wanted to go bigger or smaller on size. However, the money we saved will buy a lot gas over the next few years and we don't feel we skimped to save a few bucks, quite the contrary.
  • illinialumincoillinialuminco Member Posts: 3
    Have owned an '07 CR-V EXL for just over 2 years -- previously owned an '03 Accord EXL V-6 model. Love the CR-V except for the tires. My wife's vehicle was an '02 Toyo Highlander Ltd -- great vehicle. Looked at the '08 Highlander and '08 SF and, for $9000 less bought the Santa Fe Ltd AWD -- we love it!! More for the money in the SF -- no doubt. However, Honda doesn't have to buy it's customers and, at present, Hyundai is having to do that and is making great progress. Once our economy gets back to normal, there will be a price differential between the CR-V and the SF -- if you are in the market for a Santa Fe, better take advantage of the Hyundai pricing in the near future. The unknown -- will the Hyundai provide the proven trouble free ownership experience I have had with Hondas for the past 30 years?
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    we had an 07 CRV nav. The car of my dreams until last week when a drunk driver hit us. The interior cabin was intact. But when we saw the outside of the car, it's a wonder we are alive.

The next day we get a rental, it's a santa fe. LOL Similar enough to the crv but I find it goofy for lack of a better word. Some things are placed similar and others seem counterproductive when driving, having to look to see where they are. The ride is choppier. A good alternative I suppose if you need to save a few dollars, but nothing beats the real deal.

Right now waiting on insurance checks and running to buy a 2011 Crv. I have no doubt it protected us in that crash
    The next day we get a rental, it's a santa fe. LOL Similar enough to the crv but I find it goofy for lack of a better word. Some things are placed similar and others seem counterproductive when driving, having to look to see where they are. The ride is choppier.

I had the opposite impression; the Santa Fe rides better to me, but the CR-V handles better.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    If you think the Santa Fe is "goofy", then don't buy one.

Thanks for playing.
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    If you don't like their comments, then don't read them.
    Anyone tire-kicking the CR-V and Santa Fe?
    :)

true that. Why have a forum open to opinions and then be mad when someone gives them.
    well I've driven the rental a little bit more and become accustom to it. It's powerful, the first day giving my son whip lash with the breaking. :) But I've got it down now and it's fairly smooth. Acceleration seems a little labored but nothing that is a big deal.

It's still not laid out intuitively for me though. Some of the controls are large on the steering wheel and it's not easy for me to just click in the dark. I'm sure after a few days of trial and error, I'd mostly have that down. But I won't have many more days with it.

A decent car I think. Not sure about it's reliability. Havent checked on that because I am not buying it. Test drive them both, read reports and make a list of likes and don'ts. I think it'll come down to a few factors one way or another.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I too got a Santa Fe rental, a 2010. Drove it for 7 days. It is not as fun to drive in the twisties as my CR-V was, but much smoother and quieter on the road, and (for my 6'4" self) more comfortable. Great seats.

I'm in the market now, and GLS 4-cylinder Santa Fe is at the top of my list.
    Another incentive is that the Santa Fe is one of the cheapest cars to insure right now per InsWeb. (Yahoo)

It's #4; the CR-V comes in at #22.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    More good news for me. I suppose that the Santa Fe's stodginess makes it less appealing to thieves and their customers; and more appealing to older, safer drivers. Finally, after all these years, stodginess pays off!

Out here in California, Hondas are very much in the crosshairs to be stolen and parted out.

I'm going to the LA Auto Show this week, and will wait until later in the month to pull the trigger on the Santa Fe.
    My fiance liked the Santa Fe much more than the CR-V. She felt the Santa-Fe looked like a mini-Lexus while the CR-V had an underbite she didn't like. Couple that with a not-so-powerful but oh-so-quiet 2.7L V6 compared to the 2.4L in the CR-V and it felt more luxurious to her, like the more expensive vehicle, and actually cost less than the Honda.