Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Alarm Problems

ssteigssssteigss Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Is there a special way to arm the alarm in a Sport model(no Tech package)? Is it necessary to hit the lock button twice on the keyfob until you here the audible horn or do you only have to hit it once. I didnt even think there was an alarm and tried by locking the car with the keyless entry and then opening the door by unlocking it from the inside through an opened window. No alarm. The book says there is an audible alarm.

Comments

• cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    From the manual:

How to Arm the System

1. Remove the key from the ignition
    switch.

(With advanced key)
    Turn the start knob to the LOCK
    position.

2. Make sure the hood is closed. Close
    and lock all doors and the liftgate from
    the outside using the key or press the
    lock button on your keyless entry
    system transmitter.

(With advanced key)
    Press a request switch or the lock
    button on the transmitter.
    The hazard warning lights will flash
    once to indicate that the system is
    armed.

(Without advanced key)
    The following method will also arm the
    theft-deterrent system:
    Close the hood and the liftgate . Press
    the area on the door-lock switch
    marked “[LOCK-SYMBOL]” once. Close all doors.
  • ssteigssssteigss Member Posts: 40
    I already read that in the manual. I tried that and I still get nothing. Is there some delay before the alarm arms itself? I waited about 30 seconds and then tried to open the door from the inside. No alarm.

thnx
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I'll admit that I've never owned a car or alarm this smart, but maybe it knows you are opening from the inside and thus disregards it? There's a lot of logic behind that these days with parents leaving their kids locked in a car in the summer heat, etc. :confuse:

I've always gathered that one keyfob lock does the job; two keyfob pushes just sounds the horn for those kinds of people that open the mailbox to make sure their mail went down the slot... (Think Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally") ;)
    Thinking about this some more... I was under the impression that while the car comes with an engine immobilization system (meaning you can't start the car without the key that has the computer chip in it) they do NOT all come with theft-deterrent alarms. I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think the alarm only comes with the Tech Package.

Anyone know for sure?
    Either I dont have an alarm or its not functioning. Can anyone with a Sport model and no tech package confirm they have an audible alarm when opening the doors?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Oh for cryin' out loud....just take the car to the dealership and have them tell you what is or what isn't. This endless banter back and forth on this forum is driving me nuts! :shades:

Other than that, have a happy day! ;)

Vince
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Even on my Grand Touring, it takes a minute or two for the alarm to set after you close the doors. I've done exactly what you've done but I waited a few minutes before opening doors.
    Try it again and wait a little bit...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Drive to the dealer? Geeze, that's no fun.

Not to mention that it's 50/50 whether they'd know either, LOL.
    Oh sorry . I thought the forums is where people go to ask other people ?'s or look for advice. My mistake. I have a better idea if you dont like "the endless banter" dont click on the subject!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Oh sorry ...

I think you missed the shades and wink emotorcons - which indicate the true intent of the message. :)

tidester, host
    I did miss them.In that case I apologize.
    "I did miss them.In that case I apologize."

Not a problem! I'm just a big ol' guy here, with a twinkle in my eye and mischievous grin. I learned long ago not to get riled up on these forums. The biggest disadvantage in internet chat areas, is that you can't see a person's face or watch for body language. That's why short-hand like ROFL (rolling on floor, laughing) or LOL (laugh out loud) and the emoticons, become important.

First of all, you're absolutely correct, in that these forums exist to exchange ideas and viewpoints. Getting back to your question, it became evident you weren't really getting the info you were seeking. You've received a half-dozen good, intelligent responses to your query. They'd tell you to try this or do that, but nothing seems to work. That's why I suggested you take the vehicle to the dealership and have them demonstrate the alarm system or explain why it isn't working. Otherwise, you can be seated in front of your computer for hours, fielding responses to your original question.

Vince. :shades: :blush:;) :P :D

Notice all of the cutesy pics here?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    From Mazdausa.com...

Engine immobilizer anti-theft system - Standard
    Illuminated keyless entry w/ panic button - Standard
    Anti-theft perimeter alarm - Package option (Tech Package)
    MAZDA Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System - Package option (Tech Package)
    Thanks Maltb. That was precisely my point. I think you have to have the Tech package to have an audible alarm. Seems like the manual is incorrect. I will confirm it with the dealer nexxt time it's in for service.
    I don't think the manual is incorrect. What I posted is from the page for that states "for cars WITH Theft-Deterrent System"... it doesn't mean all cars are equipped with it (matter of fact, if I remember correctly, I think it states something like "*on equipped vehicles" or some such disclaimer). I'd be surprised if when you bought the car and told them you wanted the alarm, they said no. It may be included in the Tech Package but that doesn't necessary mean the dealer can't install it without.
    It may be included in the Tech Package but that doesn't necessary mean the dealer can't install it without.

It would be an aftermarket alarm. Mazda doesn't offer it as a dealer add-on.
    Not sure I agree with you there unless you know for sure. Only reason being, obviously, according the manual it IS possible to get a Mazda Alarm without Tech Package (since they give non-Tech package instructions for it's operation). Plus, think about it, other Mazda cars have alarms and those are some cars that don't even offer a "Tech Package".
    Well, you can look here and see if I missed something.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    You are a funny dude :shades:
    hmmm, where've you been? You're referencing my comments from Feb 6th and you're just responding on the 20th? A bit slow, dear ol' chap? ;)

Vince.
This discussion has been closed.