Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good time to buy a TL

maxmanmaxman Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Acura
All cars do cool off after a while witness the 2007 TL for years it sold close to MSRP. Now in its JR year this may be the time to buy. Honda has reported sells of the once hot sedan are down 25% from Jan 2006 and now are going GM style give you some cash. Although the cash is not so GM obvious as in large bag full of 100 on top of the hood, Acura has instead tucked then count em ten $100 bills under the hood. So before you buy ask the dealer for your $1000 dealer incentive and refuse to pay more than a 1000 over sticker. These cars carry a 3000 markup. so that 33000 car is now 31000. They would be crazy to turn it down!

Comments

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "All cars do cool off after a while witness the 2007 TL for years it sold close to MSRP."

Yeah, I agree it- it sold for MSRP when it was introduced in 03 as an 04 brand spankin new model. That's about it. For the most part, folks have been very successful in negotiating a few thousand off of MSRP- consistently. Acura wouldn't be able to sell TL's for MSRP for very long with cars like the G35 and BMW 3er offered at similar prices.

"Honda has reported sells of the once hot sedan are down 25% from Jan 2006 and now are going GM style give you some cash."
    Again, Acura has offered incentives on the 3GTL in model year 04, 05 & 06. This is nothing new. The biggest amount of $$ that Acura offered was when the MMC 07 was introduced to move out the 06's.

The TL (& MDX) has kept Acura/Honda alive. The RL is dead in the water. When the next generation TL and TSX is introduced- I'll bet they sell for MSRP for a short while as well. ;)
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Is there a $1000 07 TL incentive now?
  • maxmanmaxman Member Posts: 11
    Maybe in your area The TL has not sold close to MSRP but since I have real friends that live in different parts of the country who have purchased one in FL and the other in CA and they both reported paying about 500-700 below MSRP last year in 2006. Which is pretty good for a 3 year old car still selling that close to sticker. The point of this blog was that Acura is already offering cash on the hood the 1st month of the year on an car that they have just upgraded.. usually Honda use dealer incentives to move out the old not move out the new which I know you are aware of based on your comment above!
    That is correct my friend ask your sales man he will be shocked you know!
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    I purchased a 2006 TL in January 2006..After cross shopping and deciding the amount I would spend on a new car the TL seemed to be the best for my needs,,There were many on the road and it seemed the 2004-06 sold well..I live in the NY metro area and I am a road salesman,so I constantly saw the growing amount of TL's on the road although I drive a GMC Envoy for work..I have seen only 1-2007 TL and 2-2007 TLS>>
    Is this model now not selling at all?? I do know the subtle differences between the 2006 and 2007 and am very active in searching out the 2007 models I see on the road..They just aren"t out there..Anyone notice this in their market
    maxman,

There is no dealer incentives in the form of cash back to the consumer on any 2007 TL- period.

I live in Florida. I bought my TL in July of 05- in the middle of the month. Got it for invoice. Whoever paid 500-700 off of MSRP for a TL in Florida is IMHO not an informed buyer.
    California is a totally different story. People are buying them for under invoice dipping into the holdback. Again, whoever paid 500-700 off of MSRP got taken for a ride.

Take a look at the prices paid forum on Edmunds and let me know who paid MSRP or few hundred off of MSRP in the last month vs. those who got a couple thousand off.
    My friend you are yet wrong again just because Edmunds.com does not has not posted an incentive at the time you choose to research does not mean that the incentive doesn't exist. US auto freaks- you know those of us who eat, drink and sleep automobiles read the same material that the dealer owners and the top executives at the manufactures read. Sometime take a trip your local bookstore or a University Library and you will find a newspaper sized publication called Automotive News or you can see the public version @autonews.com. This is an expensive news joiners I believe it about 5.00 and it comes out every week or every other week in this you will find way more auto news than your current sources such as Edmunds.com, caranddriver.com…you know that baby stuff as many times the news you are reading is days sometimes weeks old. This news journal has all the auto news things like component suppliers to auto manufactures, manufactures job opening, dates plant overtime and shut downs and behold a complete list of ALL manufactures latest customer incentives and dealer incentives. So before make statements things like "There is (btw should be ARE no..)(Us college kids know a little bit of grammar at least) no dealer incentives in the form of cash back to the consumer on any 2007 TL- period,” you should check all your sources not just Edmunds.com as most times I pickup on incentive information before Edmunds. Take a look at my original posting and you will see I used the wording dealer incentive Not cash back, you should know if you are as smart as you think you are that Honda DOES NO CASH BACK! It is always referred to dealer incentive. The deal on your TL you most likely had a lucky day however, both of my friends who bought the TL’s wanted Navi and the color combo that they wanted had to be ordered. What dealer do you know that is going to go through the stress to special order a car and sell it for nothing? So if you got deal like that it was most likely was a ground unit, which is possible with an eager dealer. Rule #1 I will not buy a car $200 over invoice…..check this out my last deal Edmunds.com told me there was $1000 rebate on a 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R 6MT in Feb 2006, I took my little butt to the library did more research and discovered that the rebate was actually $1750.... So that $32000 car invoiced at $28900-1750=27150 and since I am such a nice guy I let the dealer make $200 for a total of $27350...If I would have been uneducated like you and put all my trust in Edmunds.com I would have paid an extra $750 dollars..…..my god that’s a lot gas! So I bet you your whole paycheck that there is a $1000 dealer incentive on the TL and if you really don’t want to research I will PDF you the proof! You not going to win!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you convert the PDF to a jpeg and post it on your CarSpace page? Posting there is a snap.

Let me give you a couple of suggestions while I've got you. Your post would be a lot easier to read if it were broken into several paragraphs. And your post would be easier to read if you will lighten up on the confrontations!

It's all good - we're all friends here!

:)
    Ahhh, I got it now. Dealer incentive means dealer holdback. Good luck getting into that on a deal for the TL. I saw a few posters on this site dip into the holdback when the 07 hit the lots and dealers were getting rid of the 06 inventory. If you can get into the dealer holdback, then great! I could not find one dealer in Florida who would dip into their holdback back in 2005..oops I mean dealer incentive to sell me a car. I did get it at invoice. Pretty good deal IMHO.

The deal I had on my 05 TL is not an anomaly. I did my research, negotiated the car I wanted and got the price I wanted. Actually, I was there when it was unloaded off the delivery truck with 15 other TL's and it had 2 miles on it. Again, I invite you to check this website along with other sites associated with Acura and find out for yourself what others are paying for the 07 TL. Almost no one is paying some silly amount like 500-700 off of MSRP.

I stand by my statement- there are no (current) incentives in the form of cash back to the consumer on the 2007 TL.

Additionally, I invite you to post a link to any incentive to the consumer that Acura is currently offering its customers. I'm sure it would help others in their negotiations. Most if not all manufacturers offer dealer incentives to their dealers- this isn't breaking news. For the TL it's about 3% of MSRP. Which, BTW, is the 1k your talking about.

BTW, name calling, insults and commenting on one's grammar is not proper- period. I'll look over the wonderful grammar you incorporated into your post if you'll look over mine.
    Actually, dealer incentive is not dealer holdback. It's money provided directly to the dealer for the sale of the car in addition to whatever holdback there is. It's usually for some defined time period just the way consumer incentives are. Holdback is always there (assuming it exists in the first place).

The dealership can do what they want with that money. They are not obligated to even tell the customer about it.

What's good about it is that it gives you more negotiating room, obviously. Dealer incentive from Acura on a just released TL is news indeed. I hope our friend will post the document he has.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the feedback! I will def make a copy of that journal section once I have a chance later today and post. I did consider your input however I really don’t consider two sentences a paragraph so I felt better putting it all together. The guy who posted to original response has no idea what he is talking about and to tell someone that they are wrong with out any proof is just not couture. But in any event there is a direct $1000 incentive from Honda urr Acura to dealers on 2007 TL. This guy is having major translation issues regarding direct to customer incentives and dealer incentives, and he missed the complete point of the posting which was that it is very rare for a import brand manufactures to slap any incentive on a vehicle the 1st month of the year esp. when they have just upgraded the model. Hope this helps! So you can see I am extremely bored at work. Have a good day!
    OMG genius there are people who actually know some real car talk. Everything was right on target and most times 9/10 the dealer will not tell you about it and typically they will use that money to try and push the deal through when someone is really upside down on the vehicle that they are trading in. Its a great business practice the dealer looks good giving you more than the car is worth and your happy beacuse u have a brand new car. Its a win win. Kudos to people like you who actually know what they are talking about!
    Okay, let's get clear here - you need to drop the personal insinuations. They are inappropriate and rude and do not belong here. (ggesq, leave it be...)

We're all here to learn and share information. We don't need to beat people up because they might be wrong about anything at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing your file when you get it posted.
    "I'm looking forward to seeing your file when you get it posted."

Yes- me too. I'm sure that info would be helpful to all those who are in the market.

"Okay, let's get clear here - you need to drop the personal insinuations. They are inappropriate and rude and do not belong here. (ggesq, leave it be...) "

OK.... :blush: ..... :mad:
    "This guy is having major translation issues regarding direct to customer incentives and dealer incentives, and he missed the complete point of the posting which was that it is very rare for a import brand manufactures to slap any incentive on a vehicle the 1st month of the year esp. when they have just upgraded the model."

maxman- ok. I totally agree that customer incentives and dealer incentives are two entirely different things. I just think that the dealer incentives that you are referring to do not exist.

Let's assume for a second that what your saying is true i.e. Acura is giving its dealers an incentive. I still would not find it "rare" for Acura to do that. Consider the factors:
    The 07 is a MMC. No major changes- just a few upgrades.
    The TL's competitors have introduced the all new G, the BMW (e90 & e92), and the IS. All of them outpower, outperform and surpass the TL in luxury offerings e.g. one touch start button, ventilated seats, swiveling headlights....Basically, the competition is stiff.
    The TL still sells great for Acura but its sales are down compared to last year. Offering an incentive to remain competitive is not outrageous.

Consider the (new) 2007 Altima- just came out and Nissan is offering a modest $500 bucks for college grads. This model was just introduced as completely new. The Acura is working on 4 years. Nothing too peculiar (or rare) going on....
    Let's just wait for maxman to post his file and keep in mind that everyone could be misunderstanding everyone at this point.

Except for me, of course. I know everything. :shades:
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Forbes reported the Acura TL as the 3rd best selling Luxury vehicle in 2006. It beat out the Infiniti G35, Lexus IS350 and several others. That includes all luxury cars not just ELLPS.
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    My bad folks...it was 4th. In 2005 it was 3rd. But still that's pretty good considering all the offerings from car makers like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadiliac, Infiniti, Audi, Volvo, etc. It's sales might have declined a bit but it's still a top seller. For those interested here's the link to the article.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/12/15/best-selling-luxury-forbeslife-cx_dl_1- 218bestsellingluxurycars.html
This discussion has been closed.