Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge Real World MPG

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Report them here!

tidester, host
Tagged:

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Both reported 20 mpg (actual/mixed) on their Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX AWD test vehicles. A far cry from the 15 that Motor Trend observed.
  • dspdavedspdave Member Posts: 7
    I have 1200 miles on my front wheel drive model and am averaging 21.4 mpg. Thats about 65% city driving.
  • ugmacugmac Member Posts: 4
    100% City driving in a hilly area(Vancouver/Burnaby, BC, Canada) gives me a 18.9L/100KM 12.45MPG!!! Most worst MPG ever. Odo 1500KM. :confuse: :confuse:
    Mine is a SEL+ AWD.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    12.45 mpg?

I'll stick with my Navigator. Gets better than that and I could put the Edge in the back.
    You're ignoring the others that are getting 20 mpg.
    20mpg in City is kinda like a dream to me, since I came from the 2006 ATX Mazda 3 Sports GT, which has a 2.3L engine and gas consumption was 12~13L/100KM or 19mpg.
    BTW: For 40% HWY 60% City I got 14.7L/100KM or 16MPG; 100% HWY is 23.5mpg.
    Update: 18.1L/100KM(13MPG), All city. :blush:
  • davidb3davidb3 Member Posts: 3
    Just leased a SEL+ with Vista roof, 17" wheels, FWD, trailer tow package. 500 miles on the clock in the past week, virtually all in town, AC on 50% of the time. Computer says 17.9 MPG so far.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Ford Edge SEL PLUS FWD, Vista Roof, 18 inch wheels, first 310 miles at 100% city 100% AC on, 17.4 MPG. Pretty good considering I've been hot rodding quite a bit.
  • davidb3davidb3 Member Posts: 3
    Excellent point. With half a tank run thru after reset mileage is showing at 20.1 in essentially all intown / suburban traffic.
  • buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    SEL+awd. Only had it one day. So far I'm showing 20mpg in mixed traffic. A lot better than the 12mpg I was getting with my Hemi Ram. Not going to hear me complaining :shades:
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Took the Edge on a trip to Oklahoma City for the Big12 baseball tournament. Racked up 1260 miles total. About 95% was interstate at speeds of 80-85MPH sometimes more. Got 23MPG total for the whole trip including an hour or two idling through a drive thru zoo south of OKC. At several points on the interstate the computer was saying 26 MPG or better but mostly stayed above 24. I am happy with the MPG I am getting and I am extremely impressed at how it handles, accelerates, and rides. Rode up with wife and 2 other people. No complaints about the car from anyone and all of the luggage fit in the back even with the rear seats reclined quite a ways. Probably the best vehicle I have owned beating out Hummer H3, F-150, Explorer, Grand Prix GTP, VW Passat.
  • raes60rraes60r Member Posts: 2
    Just rented an Edge from Hertz for 8 days. It was an SEL AWD model and after 890 miles I bought 69 gallons of gas ! thats 12.9 miles to the gallon. This was 95% hwy driving with about 100 lb load in back and 2 people in front, with AC all the time in hot weather. Whats up with this MPG?
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    The AWD SEL Edge fuel economy rating is 17/24. Actual fuel economy may vary, as demonstrated with the postings here, and there are several factors that can affect them. With that said, the mileage you're reporting on that rental is unusually low. If you were the vehicle's owner, I'd recommend that the vehicle be taken to the dealership for testing. :)
    But you don't know how much was in there to start with, do you? It probably wasn't full.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    We have 1200 miles on our Edge FWD. On a recent 600 mile trip with some mountain and city driving (10%) we got 24.3 MPG. The computer was reading around 24 but actual economy was a little better with 90% of the driving 75 to 80 mph.
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    400 + miles, reading od 513 & 22.5, 150 miles city 250 hwy 58-78 mph with some AC.. SWEET RIDE..SEL+AWD
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    Od reading 860 & 21.1 MPG, 120 Hwy & 230 city driving with AC, kind of Hot August nights.. SWEET RIDE.. SEL+AWD :)
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    Averaged 21 mpg w/mostly hwy driving (65-75 mph). FWD SE.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Is there a break in period before you start to see an mpg above 20?
    Duratec engines typically take 3k-5k before they reach maximum MPG. They're pretty tight when new.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the response. I am not to worried about it since I love my edge but it will be nice to get a bit better mpg later on.
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    ...however I'm driving mostly on the hwy just under 75 mph in my 2007 FWD SE. Sure is easy doing 85 mph if you're not paying attention :shades:
  • del888del888 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Edge AWD

Have 1,600 miles on it and Have gotten about 14.4 between approx. 50% HWY 50% street. That saying afternoon driving highway in NY is like driving in street. It seems to do well in traffic.

I was getting about 12.2 with my Explorer.
    Still have not been on any long trips but will be doing a coupl;e soon for about 900 miles, that will help the break in period and give me a better idea.

I hope it does better in the street after it breaks in a while. It should because my Explorer gave me 20.6 on the HWY after it was 3 years old. Not bad for such a large truck, but in the streets it got me 12.2.

I would think that the Edge might get me 14.6 after I put some more miles on it, that is very close to what it is rated at. So I guess they have improved the rating procedure from what it was. Not bad but could be better. But I'm comfortable in my Crossover sure not know Rav-4, its quiet and its comfortable and woreth the extra $500 - $600 a year. Especially with my back problems. Thats about an extra $50 a month to give me the comfort I need.

I must say its a nice comfortable rding vehicle but 12.2 to 14.5 is not that big of deal but I knew that when I bought it. I also have a 5 year power-train that I did not have on the Explorer. And the Edge seems like it is ok mechanically, we'll see.
  • cmarcuscmarcus Member Posts: 17
    07 Edge, 20,000 km (app. 12,400 miles): Cruise control, AC on, 2 people, light luggage, about 130 km distance, uphill virtually all the way, 100 kph: 9.1 l/100 km (Imperial 31.04 mpg, U.S. 25.848 mpg). Return downhill almost all the way, 100 kph and 90 kph as per limits: 8.3/34.04 mpg/28.339 mpg U.S.. At one time, saw 7.8 l/100 km/36.26/30.156 U.S. Could probably better this with Cruise off, holding rpm's steady and letting speed drop off on uphills and build up on the downhills. But that's more of a nuisance than the mileage is worth. What is there to complain with a vehicle that weights over 2 tons?
    Cubby Marcus
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    thanks for doing the MPG conversion. it gives me a headache.
    is yours 2wd or awd?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • cmarcuscmarcus Member Posts: 17
    2WD. With traction control and a good set of winter tires all around, it works just fine. 99% of my driving is urban.
    Cubby
  • finelinevanfinelinevan Member Posts: 6
    I like the Edge as I have always been a Ford guy and always put over 150k miles on all of my Fords with minimal problems. Edge and Freestyle has the same seating as a Freestyle with a 3.0 -6cyl. I say with my Freestyle I honestly average 28 to 29 MPG hwy at 60-65 mph and 23- 24 mpg country roads where I live. All the time.

I am surprised Ford has not advertised this Crossover more since its introduction in 05 with real MPG they should be proud to advertise. Its the same 6 to 7 seating and better mileage than anything they have in its crossover class. Hell it beats Escape with the same motor by 8 mpg. But its the CVT transmission makes the difference. Now They have dropped the 3.0 and the CTV trans because people complained the Freestyle lacked power. I feel the car filled with 6 passengers is powered fine. So now the Taurus X /Freestyle has a 3.5 with a 6 speed and now gets what the Edge gets 15 city 20 MPG Hwy .
    In this age of high gas prices and having a crossover with good gas mileage at hand they change it. The CVT cant work with a bigger power plant setups of power so 203 horse power was a perfect match for the CVTso they dropped it for now when people are looking for better MPG. At the same time everyone buying small lower powered cars to save gas was it the right move? Look at compact cars sales from Japan. Ford CVT seems to have held up as good as any other trans although you read of some peoples problem but its the same % of problems as conventional trannies can get. According to consumers 2005 -2007 Freestyle and Ford 500/Taurus with 6.0 CVT trans is above average reliability. Well The flex and Edge look great but 28 MPG would look even better to most as I am reading here that own one. :cry:
    :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i think the main problem with the cvt in the freestyle was the cost of that component. i also think 8 mpg difference betweem escape and freestyle is overstated. maybe you mean taurus x and freestyle. the metohd for measuring the gas mileage did change as of '08.
    many owners seem to be happy with their freestyle gas mileage.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yes I meant Taurus X and Freestyle as far as Mileage not Escape. I dont know much on the Escape. No it did not change measuring gas in 08 just drive trains in the same car.
    I agree it may be the cost factor on the chain drive but I have to wonder if Ford made the choice to change powertrains before the high gas prices jumped to 4.00 or it may have been a smarter move to offer both power train setups and build the price cost into that setup. Now a days people may have opted to pay more for 28mpg in a 7 passenger verse more power and less mileage with the 6 speed and bigger 3.5, and 20 mpg. The Freestyle was rated at 24 highway but I always average 28 HWY and 23 local drives.
  • tureblueedgetureblueedge Member Posts: 1
    I am 2 weeks into my lease on my new Edge. I am really happy with the ride and the power. I drive probably 60/40% Highway/City and I am not getting very good mileage. I am really hoping the engine breaks in soon so I can start seeing some better numbers. My second tank is reading 16.3 mpg.. ugh. I am coming out of a civic, so I am kinda spoiled when it comes to gas mileage. haha. Anyways, I love it regardless, even if I have to drive it to the poor house. :P
    I think you should be average closer to 20 mixed city HWY. I would question the dealer on that if things dont change soon.
    You have to admit driving the edge for comfort and mobility is a big improvement over any small rice burner. To me the safety factor alone is worth the change.

I have a 2005 Freestyle they changed the drivetrain on the Edge to a 6 speed TRANS and a bigger 3.4--- 6 cylinder where the Freestyle has a 3.0 six motor and a CVT transmission 2 years ago.
    In mostly city I average 20 highway alone, close to 28 straight Hwy, mixed 22-23mpg.

Why Ford moved away from the CVT and the 3.0 motor is a mystery. In this day and age of never knowing when gas will spike back to 4.00 again. It would proablly have been a smart idea and offered the CVT and 3.0 as an option in the Flex,Taurus X and The Edge and let consumers decide what the wanted in mileage options. With the Freestyle (which is same as Taurus X as they renamed it 2 years ago )which is like the Flex anyway interior wise and size as well as the Edge. With my Freestyle filled with 6 people power is never lacking. We love it !!!!!!!!!!
    Enjoy the Flex they are sharp .I see a lot on the roads these days.
    Ford Duratecs take up to 5K to break in and the mileage will improve. I would also expect around 20 depending on how fast you drive on the highway and how much stop-n-go traffic you encounter.
    Why Ford moved away from the CVT and the 3.0 motor is a mystery

Not really. The CVT was expensive. Ford's competitors have 3.5L V6s so Ford had to upgrade to stay competitive. The CVT probably can't take the torque of the 3.5L and they can't afford to keep the 3.0L much longer at low volumes. 6 speed automatics also reduce the CVT FE advantage. Just not enough potential demand to justify the added expense.
  • accent2accent2 Member Posts: 2
    2010 Ford Edge, 12k miles, FWD, 22.5MPG. Most of the miles are local.
  • accent2accent2 Member Posts: 2
    P.S., if I drive on highway, the car makes about 27 MPG
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Break-in period accomplishes much more than improved engine performance.

Consider all the seals and bearings in the drive train, as well as engine accessories.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    2010 AWD Limited with 20" rims. Highway 23 to 25 MPG. Stop and go city between a low of 13 and a high of 17 depending on temperature variables.
  • cobaltken1cobaltken1 Member Posts: 11

2013 Edge SEL All Wheel Drive with 10,000 miles on it and I get 21 mpg city all the time and 23 mpg hwy.Cant complain.