Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5 Cold Temp Problems

dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
My "oil separator" cracked the gasket in the engine yesterday. Today, it is a $1200+ repair bill. Has anyone else experienced this before? Something about moisture in the oil... Any chance of warranty (I'm post 50k miles)

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ouch! I thought German cars could handle cold weather?

A separator should be able to handle a little water so it sounds like a serious malfunction.

tidester, host
  • dhr48864dhr48864 Member Posts: 19
    have you heard of this before? Can you tell me more? There were three cars yesterday suffering the same symptoms at the dealership. :confuse:
    I've heard of separators becoming blocked due to low temperatures. We'll need to hear from other X3 and X5 owners to know whether anyone else has experienced this.

tidester, host
  • stolzestolze Member Posts: 1
    A similar problem just occured in my car, but it is the 330ci, and we are now looking at a $2400 bill. We were told that the moisture value froze, caused a back up and then blew out and now they are cleaning oil out of every nook and crany of my engine. The dealer indicated that they had treated about 15 other cars with simiar problems due to the cold temps in the past 10 days and they are trying to determine driving habits that could have caused. But it seems to me that this was a mfg defect, especially now that the replacement part is insulated to prevent in the future.
    they are trying to determine driving habits that could have caused

Driving habits? Such as driving in cold weather? Wow!

tidester, host
    The driving habits...hmmm. I remember the mechanic at the dealership referring to how few miles I drove my X5. I told him it was around 6 miles round trip to work everyday. He suggested that city driving was not condusive to cleaning/burning/circulating the oil properly and it thus accumulating moisture. I think that falls into the driving habit category. Does that make sense to anyone?
    I think that falls into the driving habit category.

Sure it does. But it also falls into the category of "normal driving" and I would not reasonably expect a separator to fail in such a catastrophic manner under normal driving conditions. Just a thought! :)

tidester, host
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    1. What is an oil separator on BMW's? Have never heard the term before.
    I'm looking at a 07 x-5 v-8 and got concerned looking at the postings.I spend a lot of time driving in northern WI,MI and MN. Thinking I should order something else.
    The host seems to do an excellent job of explaining things, so I'll defer to that person.
    Feel free to jump in - it's your discussion! :)

In brief, the separator separates oil and gases emitted from the crankcase and recycles both of them.

tidester, host
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    Must be part of the EGR system that takes crank case blow by fumes and cold start exhaust gases and returns them to the intake system. A basically simple system, seems hard to justify $1200 plus repair costs.
  • ghallghall Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same thing happen to my 2001 X5 3.0. In speaking with the service department at my local BMW dealer it appears that due to the severe cold weather this has been an issue lately. With my X5 the seperator actuall blew at the back so there was not any visible sign of this issue under the hood.
  • bali33bali33 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 4.4i X5 have being in for service 3 times covered under warranty. This is a serious issue for BMW, but they seem to sweep it under the rug. No real fix by BMW (hence the 3 service times) for this problem when it gets very cold. No one should be paying to have this issue corrected in my view, whether or not the car is covered by an active warranty.
  • grassosfgrassosf Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 X5 with 31,000 miles just broke down on the highway in PA (two weeks after being serviced and coming out of the 4year/50 M warranty). The engine hyrdolocked and would not turnover. When I called roadside assistance, nobody answered the phone to help. The failure was identified as a bad oil separation value. This part was covered under the 2 year extended warranty, but the dealer is requiring I pay $550 to replace all the manifold vent lines, plugs and sensors damaged by oil in the combustion system. They also informed me that can't find any parts and I should expect it to take about two weeks to repair the car. I have called the main office but they claim they can not help. Is this consistent with how others have been treated? Is their any other recourse that can be taken ?
  • bali33bali33 Member Posts: 2
    This is an inherent problem and a faulty BMW design. Once it gets very cold (single digit and below) the moisture in the engine gets frozen and causes oil leaks and a host of other problems. The core problem begins with the moisture build up. It is more of a problem if you drive short distances an the engine do not have sufficient time to get rid of the engine moisture. .....which may have cause my problem three times this season....what a pain. Another hypothsis is that ethanol than is mix into premium gas may contribute to addition moisture in the engine. In my view BMW should pay for your repairs. They have paid for mine, but my car is still under warranty. The service manager that I interact with have suggested that he/BMW is willing to pay for service due to the same issue in the future, even if my warranty runs out. Clearly they know this is a major brand damaging issue. Push back and have them pick up the bill. Good luck.
    I called the BMW NA office and was told that nothing could be done for me. I asked that they get me in touch with the BMW NA field rep (they call it an "engineer") to discuss this further. She suggested I call the dealership, which I did and have had noone call from the dealership.

I did find out that this was not a recall issue, even though it certainly qualifies in my uneducated opinion.

Isn't there a governing body that we can call to find out what qualifies as a recall issue?
  • bmwnomorebmwnomore Member Posts: 7
    2003 BMW X5 with 69K miles. 19K out of warranty and no extended warranty.

February 9, I'm driving my usual route to work and the engine hydro-locks and stalls (along with the steering column), before I finally bring it off on a side street to a safe stop.

Car is towed to my usual BMW Certified dealer and is diagnosed with a faulty oil separator, about $1,500. I authorize.

BMW service calls me back two days later to advise that the failed oil separator has resulted in liquid oil breaching the cylinders, blocking combustion, and ultimately caused a crack in the drive shaft i.e. "You need a new engine, about $22,000."

Not sure about post restrictions, so I'll pick up the story in the next one . . .
    I immediately contact BMWNA National Service who, in a very friendly way, advised that they could do nothing but that I should go through the dealership to contact the field represetnative.

Over two weeks and several conversations, I am advised that the problem is my fault for driving short distances at a time, like when I take the kids to school (I don't have kids) or when I go to the local Starbucks (Okay, I drink Starbucks but the nearest one is about 7 miles away and I always stop on my way to the office, about 20 miles away).

I am told that BMW has no obligation because it is our of warranty and it is not BMW's fault, rather, the government regulations are so stringent on exhaust, BMW has no choice but to design the engine to capture and combust these fumes, etc.
    I would also point out that just 10 weeks prior to this event, the X5 was in for an "Inspection II" where the oil was changed, and all systems were analyzed for parts nearing the end of useful life. I authorized $2 or $3 thousand on that trip to make all recommended replacements.

Doing some poking around at my usual BMW Certified dealership, I learn that FOUR X5's were towed on 2.9.07 for the same problem. Additional X5's were towed after that date, one of which I became aware of when the service tech was conveying how his extended warranty didn't cover this issue. I think it was an attempt to make me feel better that I hadn't wasted the money there.

When all is said and done, I negotiated BMWNA to give me 75% "good-faith" credit on parts, so I'll only be out of pocket about $9,000. ONLY $9,000. The service tech was quick to point out that they will be charging warranty labor rates (BMWNA mandates that they do when BMW is picking up part of the tab so I won't be charged the gouging retail labor rates) and that they are going to waive the charges on the initial work on the oil separator (again, BMWNA mandates and the dealership has contributed nothing out of their pocket).

I particularly liked how the BMWNA field rep was so sincere when he told me how wonderful BMW was for stepping up and showing the "good-faith" on parts.

I don't know who reads these posts and I don't know how easily my registration information could find its way to BMWNA or my local dealership, so I will refrain from any further details until the work is complete and I have the X5 back (to be traded immediately).

I will say, though, in response to the post that inquired about taking some kind of action, there will be more information on this point in the near future. Stay tuned.
    Good grief - what a nightmare! Does anyone know whether this is a recent oil separator redesign on BMW's part?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    You are living my living nightmare! I too was given the driving habit speech; called BMW who says it "can do nothing"-->call the dealership to wrangle in a field rep. Well the dealership "were you satisfied with your service" person finally called back after 8 days. She will take it through her service mgr., the dealership mgr. to see about getting the rep out...

I did get the impression that the redesign for the oil separator was relatively recent (-1.5 yrs?)

It certainly can't be coincidence that during one of the coldest weeks of the year we ALL had the same problem can it? :confuse:
    It's not a coincidence at all. One of the things the initial dealership service rep told me was, "this part just isn't designed to handle these kind of temperatures." It was about 5 degrees when this happened.

I am astonished that BMW is clearly aware of this problem and has not instituted a recall. Had I been in a turn or at an intersection when this happened, I would have been powerless to avoid hitting anyting in my path. No warning lights, no visible signs of problems, just a sudden lock and stall on the entire vehicle.

All I would say, DHR, just keep a record of everything and everyone you talk to.
    Thanks, and I am keeping track of time, person and comments. I also did not have the indicator light come on and when I told the dealership this, there was no response to it. I too am looking at other vehicles right now. In cold weather, my locks (interior door)freeze and so do the door handles. I have to do multiple lock/unlock sequences to have them all open. The cloth on the covers between the front door and the windshill have puckered since the 3rd year and again, no response. I'm very unimpressed with the service I'm receiving as a faithful customer with an older (2001) vehicle.
  • alaskax3alaskax3 Member Posts: 1
    Lead off on a different but related thread. '05 X3 2.5 liter gas in Alaska, wouldn't start at -27F, on board computer recorded date, time, and temp when problem occurred, dealer said it was a crank sensor(tells plugs when to fire), replaced when part arrived, no further problems to date (it's been -15F a couple of days but not down to -27) will see how it goes. I also have an intermittent engine whistle when it's cold usually around 2200RPM but today also around 1900RPM (at -15F). I think it may be related to the VANOS system. I told the dealer about the problem last year when it happened, they said they weren't aware of any engine issues in cold temps (couldn't get the whistle to happen that day) now seems to happen more frequently though not when it's warm out (above ~ 40F). Anyone out there have similar cold weather problems?
    I haven't noticed on mine, but will be on the look out for it.
  • bmwnightmarebmwnightmare Member Posts: 1
    On March 6th My BMWX5 stopped on detroit freeway. I started the car in the morning and drove for about 3-4 miles and saw a huge white smoke coming out of tail pipe and within few minutes car completely stopped. The temperature was around 5degF. Towed it to the dealer and he said it was caused due to "moisture accumilation inside crankcase ventilitaion valve" Follwing parts to be replace, 1) crankcase ventvalve, 2)dipstick tube O-ring, 3) Valve cover gaskets, 6 spark plugs and vent hose. COst $1300. I bought this car new in 2003 and has 77,000 miles. This shouldn't happen this early. I have no warranty. I'm very disappointed with the car. This would be my first and last BMW. The guy who gave a ride back to work that day told me that he saw 2 other BMWs came inot the dealer for same proble. I think BMW has a huge problem on their hand and will not admit.
    Sounds like the exact same problem, I also had a 2003 X5, 69,000 miles that died at 5 degrees F. Same story about moisture accumulation due to fumes an so on. I have a letter in to BMWNA regarding the issue and I intend to pursue the matter until they make restitution; I'll keep the results posted.
    I'll keep the results posted.

That will be appreciated! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I wondered about the effectiveness of a letter to BMWNA myself. I commiserated with my attorney (who uses the same dealership for her Mercedes) and she suggested I try the dealership-->field rep route first. I spoke to the service mgr. at the dealership last week to check on the status with the field rep and it didn't sound like he had done it...yet.
    I spent a month speaking with the dealership, service department, BMW sales manager, BMWNA field representative. Ultimately, BMWNA took 75% off parts and I was out of pocket about 9K on the repair. That's not good enough.

For that reason, I issued the letter. I contacted the BMWNA customer relations 800 (888) number and asked who I should send the letter to after describing the circumstances. They told me to send it to the CEO. It made me laugh a little, but I did so anyway.

Believe it or not, I just heard back today from a low-level somebody. He asked me for some facts and is going to do an investigation. I told him that if they could just make me whole on the repair I would drop the issue (I too am contemplating the legal route).

I regret the day that this problem results in an accident. Seems like BMW should wise up and get some notice out on this issue.
    I just got a call back this morning form the service manager at the dealership. He said he met with the field rep and after going over the paperwork, they say nothing about my "driving habits", but that I did not get an oil change in two years. They are offering to provide "trinkets" aka accessories or services up to a $500.00 amount. I have told them "no".

I followed to the LETTER getting my vehicle serviced when the green lights turned to one yellow light, AS INSTRUCTED BY THE SALESPERSON! Now it seems they want to throw something else at me. Can you please post the address of who you sent your letter to (CEO)?

I need to cool down before I post more. Any luck by anyone else?
    BMWNA
    Attn: Tom Purves, CEO
    PO Box 1227
    Westwood, New Jersey 07677

The gentleman who returned my call originally and who was to perform the investigation called me back yesterday to advise that BMWNA was not able to offer further concession. He asked me to consider the fact that BMW had already made the 75% concession on parts (~$12K), and that was really quite a response on their part. I advised that was not satisfactory and I would seek all available remedies under the law. That was enough to "keep my file open" for further investigation.
  • jonghanjonghan Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem, the oil separator caused oil leaking and engine oil was all over inside the hood. Fortunately, my X5 did not stop becasue we located this problem at the dealer. The dealer said it is due to cold weather. The dealer asked $1500 to fix it. We did not use the X5 for a while and then fixed at other garage. Considering the BMW knows the winter weather in North America, not the antaractic, if this problem continues every winter, future consumer should know about this problem. Shame on BMW's promotion of "Ultimate Driving Machine" broken and stopped in cold weather.
    I motion. If one of the most expensive SUV should stop on the highway during the winter, what else can qulaify "recall" than this?
    It sounds like the dealers in North America have been received the same training from the manufacturer that every BMW customer has a bad driving habit. That was the consistent message and sometimes a sermon that I got from my dealer too. I really don't like the fact that one of the most famous brand name in automobile industry has such attitude and does not admit the design problem of oil separator. Ultimate driving machine should stop due to cold weather and moisture on the highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/bmw/x5.htm

I just put this absurd design problem of Ultimate driving machine, BMW X5 into the web link above. I think this web receives, collects and studies vehicle problmes from customers.
  • grassosfgrassosf Member Posts: 2
    I have been a loyal BMW owner for over 15 years. I can’t help but feel the company is a victim of their own success and has lost connection to their customers. I made 4 calls to the corporate office receiving no meaningful help in resolution of this issue. A very frustrating experience ... They knew about the problem, but did not take preventive action. Even though the car is currently under CPO warranty (48 1/4 months old), BMW charged for all the “ware” items requiring replacement due to the oil contamination. Any part I paid for got changed immediately…. any part they pay for only gets changed after days of testing and evaluation. Their solution for cleaning out the system was to burn through ¾ of tank of gas as opposed to any disassembly and cleaning. After two visits totaling a period of 6 weeks (they finally provided a car for after the 5th week… a FORD) in the service center, my car is still not running properly. It blows smoke, has an unpleasant odor after driving (smells up my house), and idles rough when stopped in drive. Only this week has the service center started detailed evaluation and check-out. At this time, they can only identify that the engine has a slightly off-aim (rich) fuel mixture. Also, when I asked if the OSV part has been updated to eliminate this defect, the dealer stated that he is unable to tell me this type of information.
    RESOLUTION! I finally was able to resolve the out of pocket expenses with the dealership. I want to thank all of you for your input because without other recorded cases, I don't think the dealership would have budged.

As you may recall, I went to the dealership and there were other vehicles that were going to be serviced for the same problem. I called BMWNA as suggested, got no help from them because they referred me back to the dealer. My attorney who also USED to go to this dealership directed me to ask for the BMW field rep. to step in and look at the situation. He did and the dealership offered to pay $500.00 in services or "trinkets" but would not go beyond that. I presented the dealership owner with instances of other BMW users with the same problem nationwide (at least the northern part of the nation :blush: ) and told him that BMW corporate may be able to take care of themselves, but this reflected badly on all dealerships who could not stand behind the name of their product or their local reputation. They came back with a check for full reimbursement and a boilerplate legal document stating that upon being reimbursed, I waived ALL AND ANY future claims to service (such as recalls, future discovered manufacturer defects, etc.) for this vehicle. I told them it was unacceptable and re-wrote the document to waive future claims to only the oil separator parts and labor.

They agreed, I signed, I got my reimbursement and I now have an appointment with my local Toyota and Honda dealerships. Not the outcome I expected, but I don't care to re-live this experience a second time. Best of luck to all. I will remain online, but please think kindly of any little old lady you see driving her Honda down the road...
  • nycx5ernycx5er Member Posts: 4
    I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if my issue has already been discussed. Leased '07 X5 3.0 in August. No performance issues for the first 3 months. Since November experience the following symptom. Start her up "cold" (whether outside in 30 degree or inside 70 degree garage). 2-5 minutes warm up. For the first 3 minutes or so of drive, after stopping & release of brake pedal, the CAR LURCHES FORWARD. After 3 minutes, the symptom is gone. In December dealer "checked" for 2 days & told me that they were not able to duplicate the problem. They did, however, "reprogram DME and complete vehicle with latest software". The symptoms were corrected for 5 days and the X5 seemed like a vehicle with a miraculously different personality! However on Day 6 through today the lurch condition has returned. Now, 3 days at the dealer and I'm again told that they cannot duplicate the complaint. To add insult to injury (God forbid) I was told by their service manager today that the "condition" that I am experiencing is "NORMAL". In fact, he said, his 530 does exactly the same thing. He explains that until the transission fluid is allowed to warm up this lurch is normal. ARE THEY FOR REAL? I would appreciate knowing if anyone out there has experienced this condition. All suggestions on how I should proceed will be most gratefully appreciated.
  • strider13strider13 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to start out that I am SO relieved to find others who feel my pain. I have a 2002 330xi with the same oil separator problem. I live in Minot, ND where we are below freezing almost half of the year and very often get -10F or lower temps in the winter. My car began leaking oil from the top valve cover. BMW told me over the phone that it was most likely a siezed engine oil separator which was not properly exhausting and so was causing overpressure in the engine and thus effectin the leak. The rep started to tell me how much it would cost when I mentioned that my boss had a problem with the same part. Only then did he mentioned that BMWNA knows about the problem and covers people on a case by case basis based on ownership history and maintenance records. I have the car used and some of the inspections/oil changes were done by the owner. So with my limited documentation BMW agreed to charge warranty rates for parts/labor and split the cost after that. So I ended up paying $500 for the upgraded parts which include more insulation and wider orifices so that water does not pool and freeze there. I was NOT happy considering BMW has known about the problem for at least 7 years and should have issued a recall long ago. They tell you the car is off warranty but that doesn't sit well with me considering they knew about the issue while it was on warranty and did nothing.

I can also offer some more background on the problem. My boss actually has the same car as me but he has a 2003. The dealership told me that there are actually 2 different ways the oil separator can fail. If it siezes in closed position you get overpressure and valve cover leakage. If it siezes the other way you get catastrophic failure which includes all of your engine oil shooting out the back tailpipe. This actually happened to my boss and stranded his wife on the interstate. He had good documentation and he was fully covered. The funny thing that really deflates BMW's "good maintenance claim" is that he had a newer car with all maintenance records from certified dealerships and his car failed worse than mine which had DIY work done on it. Furthermore his car is garage kept and mine isn't. Even after all this his car just recently suffered the same fate again! BMW just came out with another fix to the problem, now they include a temperature sensor and a heated manifold. I guess only time will tell if this is effective. I don't think they had this fix 5 months ago when I got mine fixed. Anyway he called dealership and TOLD them they were going to ship car to Minneapolis (the closest dealership), pay for his rental, fix car and ship it back.....and they did.

Now my car is once again leaking (it seems to be fine until temps go below approx -10) and when I explained it to a service guy at a dealership he immediately diagnosed it as a failed separator. When I called to have it replaced with the newly designed manifold I was told that they would have to have the car there first to diagnose. Additionally I was told they didn't even have time to deal with my car at the moment because they had so many other people dealing with the same issue. The service guy told me literally they had had 35 dead cars brought in that week alone due to the cold weather separator failure.

This is a huge problem that BMW is well aware of. The sad thing is they don't put the word out unless you know about the issue beforehand. I called some import repair places in the Minneapolis area and they all told me that they replace dozens of separator parts each winter from people with the same problem. So all these people are unknowingly paying out of pocket for something that BMW should be alerting them to and paying for.

I am so pissed at BMW right now, if they don't fix my car and cover all associated expenses [to include rentals] I will put this issue on every forum I can find, report it to the Better Bussiness Bureau, the local news. Anything I can do to return the [non-permissible content removed] pain BMW has sent in my direction. They can say the car is off warranty and i'm not lawyer but something has to be said for selling and MARKETING a car with all-wheel drive towards people in the snow belt and with a "cold weather package" and knowing at the same time that the the car in fact is no good in extreme cold weather. If you know anything else about this issue that can help to further this cause please let me know.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Let me start with my thanks to the posters who shared their experience with the cold weather issues the X5/X3s have had.
    WOW! I guess it's good to do a little research in advance. We are planning to replace one of our cars this summer, and I started my research early. One of the vehicles considered is the X3, probably CPO 2005-2007. What really concerned me was not only the fact that I live where cold means COLD, but the way BMW NA treated people. This is BMW after all, not Kia.
    As a comparison, one of our cars is a '05 CRV, so I follow closely the forums for the vehicle. Older CRVs had an issue with the A/C, but Honda treated people quite differently than the way described here regarding the Oil Separator issue. Many posters were covered 75-100% for vehicles way out of warranty, even though with Honda's A/Cs it was more of a matter of inferior quality part, rather that inferior design which appears to be the case here.
    Maybe someone will say that a few people are overblowing rare problem here, but I'll have to disagree - as the previous poster mentioned "The service guy told me literally they had had 35 dead cars brought in that week alone due to the cold weather separator failure.. That seems a lot. And here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area there are only two dealers, so not much of a choice.

I guess I'll have to do some more thinking. We were ready to make a step up, actually waited until we were comfortable not only with the higher price of BMW, but the price tag of its maintenance. I fear $100+ oil changes and $500-700 maintenance no more... but a blown engine on a BMW really brings fear to a man's heart.
  • psm18psm18 Member Posts: 9
    Hello,
    I have the same problem on my 2002 X5...who do you call at BMW to ask for money?
  • stephenabelsonstephenabelson Member Posts: 23
    So I live in New York now, but my hometown is Minneapolis, and eventually will move back there. Right now I have a 5 series, but I really like the X5 a lot. Many people in Minnesota have it and say it's great in the snow and on the dry pavement too. I have heard things that it's not a "cold weather" type SUV or car. People who I have spoken with in Minnesota say that occassionally the doors freeze, or locks freeze up, sometimes there is trouble with starting, the navigation doesn't work always, sometimes the heat isn't great, gas mileage can go way down. So besides looking a heck of a lot better than that of it's competitors, why don't I spend the same or less money on the Lexus RX or LX? I understand it won't be as fun to drive but you never hear about any issues with the Lexus like you do with the X5.

Any advice?
  • meimei0508meimei0508 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 X5, same thing happed to me yesterday and it was 7F.
    The dealer is asking for 3K to fix the oil seperator and gasket...
    It is really painful. Should the dealer take some responsibility since it is known problem? Can someone advise?

Thanks
  • jkparker7jkparker7 Member Posts: 1
    Ultimate driving machine my [non-permissible content removed]! I am beyond Mad! This is just damn dangerous. You expect more from BMW. My BMW X5 stopped cold in the middle of the highway on January 8th. There I was, wondering what the heck happened! Thank God I made it over to the side of the road without being smashed by a big truck or something! 2 cars pulled in behind me and said that they thought my car was on fire!!! My heart rate went up another 500 points! Pissed... just a little! It was thought initially that my engine locked up, and then it was discovered that the oil separator thingy was the problem because apparently even though they sold a family that lives in the middle of northern Minnesota this vehicle, I guess I was supposed to understand that it was not suited for cold weather and it could be deadly. I would not have purchased this car without a doubt again! I call the after manufacturer warranty company and say... "Was I supposed to move to Florida to not have a dangerous car for my family???" They tell me, I am sorry mam, I can't help you because this part that is the issue is not part of the 'engine'... OH... REALLY????? But, the dang engine won't work if this insufficient dangerous part is not repaired!!! Evidently it is not insulated well enough??? But they sell it to people in frigid corners of the earth and tell them it is great on snow! Yeah! Until your butt is stuck in the middle of nowhere, or hit by a fast moving vehicle behind you, or starts on fire! I bought the car because I thought it was the SAFEST car on the market! I am LIVID! Thank God above that my children weren't in the car and that noone got hurt. Not by any thanks to BMW, but to GOD ABOVE ONLY! Apparently there is a technical service bulletin out about this, and BMW knows this, but still sells me a car after knowing this fact for quite some time! Sounds like negligence to me! BMW better take care of this the RIGHT way! They will pay for the towing and all repairs! This should be an official RECALL, not a Technical Service Bulletin that thankfully was shared with me by a mechanic that knows BMW's (but does not work for BMW) URGHHH! :mad: :lemon:
    I'm familiar with the sick feeling of getting slapped with the bill. I'm glad that is so over! Re-reading posts 20-39 might lead to some resolution. Good luck :)
  • meimei0508meimei0508 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sharing the information. You are right. It is really dangerous.My car failed in freeway too.BMW should take care it right away. Is there a service bulletin?
    I talked to the dealer yesterday, but they say BMW is not doing recall or anything so there is nothing they can do.They will not share any cost.Maybe I'd better claim
    to BMWNA.Not sure if it will help any.Disappointed with BMW!
    Please, please consider going the route of asking for a rep review your claim for having the dealershipl work with BMWNA to reimburse you for costs. The idea of having me go public with the info was enough for the dealership to absorb the costs. It sucks for the dealership some, but more for us if we eat the costs and none for the BMW "utlimate driving machine" entity.
  • mpls6mpls6 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 325xi, like many of you, I bought it to have a great car that would be a great winter car also. My oil separator failed in rush hour on a freeway one cold morning last month. $1500 later I am trying to get Motorwerks BMW and/or BMWNA to take responsibility for something they knew was a defect before I even bought the car. So far the closest I have come is a service rep. who said they would have covered it if I had towed it to Motorwerks (he also said it would probably happen again!) and a BMWNA customer service person who said they might cover it if Motorwerks would inspect the work to make sure it was done right. But, I can't get a response from Motorwerks. This has been a huge disappointment.
  • hawkeyes13hawkeyes13 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen last month. In working with the dealer and BMW of NA, it looks as though I will be getting reimbursed for the full amount. I will know shortly but BMW of NA has been extremely accommodating.