Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Starting Problems

2»

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    The car's computer collects a fair amount of data, but if it is not being logged, you might be able to buy, rent, or borrow a recorder that plugs into the OBCII plug in the car. Depending on how sophisticated it is, it can show instantaneous readouts of fuel pressure, voltages, and other things. While you may not be able to interpret them, someone else may, and it may point them towards the gremlin. There are some software/cable kits that work with some smartphones that are pretty neat if you don't go for a dedicated system. They have their advantages, since you can check yourself what is triggering a check engine light, for example, and reset it, if desired.
  • jondhoughtonjondhoughton Member Posts: 3
    HI, any update on this? I have a 2008 550i and am having the same problem. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes of trying for the car to start and it randomly shuts off as well. Its been in the shop for about two months over the past year and they can't figure it out. So far they've replaced the starter, the CAS (key receiver), and a cell or two in the battery. I'm at my whits end. I'd suggest posting a complaint with the NTSB (http://www.ntsb.gov/) as this is obviously a serious safety issue that BMW needs to address. If we get enough of them out there they will be forced to take this seriously.
  • michaelmigmichaelmig Member Posts: 6
    Hey Bud... Michael here. I had the same issue- drove me crazy. The car is fabulous and yes periodically the start button would not respond. Occassionally the car would shut off while driving and just coast to a stop. Pretty dangerous problem. Stupid for a $71,000 car. OK... United BMW of Gwinnett in Atlanta nailed this problem. Luckily I was able to replicate the issue with the shop foreman right in front of me at the service valet... The repair is a $116 part. Yes, crazy. The labor was a few hundred extra. Now the car is healed and I love it again... I screamed at BMW and told them to update their database to help other 550i owners across the world. Contact me if you need any other info. The part is: Failed "IVM" or Integrated Supply Module. Part# 12-52-7-510-638 for $116.05. I am hopeful this works for you too!! Email me and let me know if this nails your issue... Then you can love your car again. Mine is perfect again and hope your will be too. Michael.
  • ashley25ashley25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Michael or anyone else- Over the last couple of weeks, my car hasn't started on a few occasions (BMW 525 2004). I eventually got it to crank after trying a few times. Well, this morning my car won't crank at all. My car has lights on the dashboard. My husband jumped the battery, but it still didn't crank. I don't want to have my car towed b/c I feel it might be damaged while towing. Any suggestions? I called a couple shops and mentioned the IVM and people said my dash lights would not be on if the issue was the IVM. Any Thoughts? Also, does anyone know how to get to the IVM?

Thanks a bunch! Ashley
    Ashley the dash lights do go on w/ this issue... Replace the IVM for a few hundred bucks. Michael.
  • 913kdub913kdub Member Posts: 3
    I recently had my battery replaced and before that it was sounding real sluggish starting but after the battery was replaced it ran fine for 6 months then it starting sounding like it did when the battery was bad, so i replaced the battery again and it ran fine for 1 month and then it starting sounding sluggish again so now it will not start or anything, I can hear a slight noise when I press the brake in before I turn the key the in gauging of the starter but it will not start. Also just to mention the last time i tried to start my car it sounded like the battery very low but i just purchased it the day before. If any one have any suggestions please help!
    It doesn't take much of a load from something not turning off properly to drain a battery overnight. You need a load test to confirm there's no improper load AND you need to verify that the belt to the alternator and the alternator itself are working properly. Throw in a check for your voltage regulator as well. Some of this can be checked fairly easily at home, IF you have the proper tools.
    Your the man. That did it. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
    My pleasure Chief glad it worked out. Incredible how many BMW certified service centers are not familiar w/ this easy $350 fix- that causes the owners so much grief. Why can't all the BMW dealerships simply synchronize their knowledge data bases? Anywho, take care... Michael.
  • bsingerbsinger Member Posts: 1
    My old battery was going so my local mechanic replaced it with a generic battery. Yesterday my car would not start at all would not even take a jump. I went to the dealer this morning to purchase the correct battery installed it and the car still will not start. all power is fan on ac is running dash lights up. it sounds like it wants to go but does not have enough power to start it. HELP
    Integrated Supply Module needed... $116 believe it or not. Part# 12-52-7-510-638 from BMW service dept. Let me know if it nails the problem. Regards, Michael.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Michael, I'm really sorry that you had to go through a bunch of hassle before you eventually got a solution, but I am SURE happy that you decided to stick around and help other owners who probably have the same problem, same solution! Thanks for doing that.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I had the alternator checked the day before it stoped starting it showed a voltage of 14.9, so its not the alternator. I wonder if it's thte cable since they have a recall on the cable for 04-10 bmw 525. But anyway it still will not start I tried to remove the cables to the battery and retighten them but still nothing. Do you have anyother suggestions?
    An automotive organization would like to speak with used car buyers who bought cars that they later found out were not up to date on recall repairs. If you are willing to discuss your experience, please email [email protected] no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tungztungz Member Posts: 1
    hey gys my 95 520i bmw wont turn over when im trying to start it? any reasons as to why it wont start? it started this morning then when i wen to move it at morning tea it wouldnt start
  • strom3strom3 Member Posts: 1
    When I tried to start my car, it made a strange clicking sound. Not a low battery sound, something different. My nav system started flashing on and off, every message came up on the dashboard, the transmission message was foremost, all flashing off and on. Battery is fine, just has the recall completed. Car will not turn over.

When I turn off and remove key the transmission message continues to show for about another 30 seconds.

When I turn on key, not engine, all messages flash and radio and navigation flash on an off and on. This is a mystery.
  • lennyk1lennyk1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with 545i ,The car starts sometimes and soesnt start sometimes ,when it starts everything is normal i could able to drive 1800 miles nonstop without any problem. I gave my car in the dealership in St louis MO, they kept my car for 3 weeks and still they don't have the answer for the problem ,they say e-cas should be replaced it will cost 800$ i said yes. they replaced the e-cas and still the same problem ,now they say something else and they are hoping to hear the solution from the factory,still my car is sitting in the dealership waiting for solution with a surprise bill $$$$$ later
    Lenny, replace the Integrated Supply Module. Part# 12-52-7-510-638. Cost $116 (not joking). It will permanently fix your BMW and you'll once again love your car like I do. Let me know if it works! Michael at: [email protected]
  • steveshannonsteveshannon Member Posts: 2
    Good morning, all! We are so grateful for this thread and the symptoms related to a possible integrated supply module replacement.

My husband has owned his '07 530xi (65k) for not even two months and has gotten to drive it less than three weeks worth of time. Got the car to the dealer (short version) where they decided that the replaced battery had never been programmed to the computer. They said we may or may not still have to replace it after they charged it fully and removed all the low voltage codes it was flashing.

The car ran fine for almost two weeks after purchase, then randomly would not start. It seems the major difference between our problem and those of many posters here is that the car would crank, it just would never turn over. It also never stalled on the road. It only stalled once, but that was after a successful attempt to start the car and then only a few seconds after the engine turned over and began to run.

We have had the car back from the dealer for less than a week, and this morning it would not start again. Now, however, the starter cranks and the engine turns over then stalls. Doesn't sound like battery to me. It is colder now (had out first frost last night at around 31degrees F), but the car is garaged.

Do we think this could also be an integrated supply module problem? I think hubs is at his wits end, but are now afraid we are stuck with this car because we won't resell to someone else knowing it has these problems. And we really don't want to spend a fortune fishing around for answers at the dealer.

FWIW, the first mechanic we had the car in to before getting it to the dealer (local , reputable and experienced with Beemers) had it for a full five days before the car decided not to start again. He successfully turned the key several times a day for every one of those five days.
    edited September 2012
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations, been there and know the feeling. Well my biggest complaint was always that the car would not turn over at all when pressing the start button, however it did randomly shut off as well a few seconds after it finally started. So you are seeing one of the three or four symptoms that I saw which were resolved by replacing the IVM. Normally I would think that the car not starting (but turning over) could be traced back to a lack of spark, fuel, and diagnosed fairly easily, BUT given the complete havoc that a bad IVM can cause (without throwing a single error code) it wouldn't be a bad place to start. Also, since the part costs about the same as a few light bulbs in that car - it won't hurt your wallet too much to replace it even if you are wrong.

The dealer at first refused to change mine as since it wasn't throwing any codes, BMWUSA wouldn't reimburse them for the part as they couldn't justify the change (mine was under warrantee) but I was to the point where I would have just bought the part myself and put it in...isn't that hard.

But after changing mine, the car has been rock solid for almost 8 months now.
  • steveshannonsteveshannon Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, you bring up excellent points. I also am strangely encouraged that the ivm does not throw codes. The dealer did address every code they were given and the car still won't run. I am thinking a part is in order; hubs is fairly adept at car DIY so why not, right?
  • jkohrsjkohrs Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Mechanic says battery, alternator, starter all good. Turn the key and dash lights up, radio, lights, etc. all work fine, but turn the key and it is absolutely dead. No clicking, nothing. I welcome any feedback or suggestions anyone has. 2005 BMW 525i, 2.5 litre v6.
  • reeves3reeves3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Strom3,

We are having this same issue with my car. Was wondering if you figured out what was wrong. My husband changed the oil and the car worked fine. Then he tried to reset the service light and now my car won't start and it's flashing all kinds of errors.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks so much!
  • hairspice1hairspice1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 525 bmw and the starter went out.. replaced it and had a local experienced import mechanic do that.. but my husbands friend pulled the old starter off and the throttle or gas pedal wont work now.. the car starts and runs but jumps and sputters. I press the gas pedal and nothing... The mechanic said he doesnt know???? So I told him to bring me the car back. Now its sitting here and starts but I cant drive it. All sorts of warnings and reduced power lights come on... Any help???? Or should I just junk it??? : (
  • sapssaps Member Posts: 2
    The car labors when starting after a lengthy stop, engine seems to labor when starting but eventually after a 'whooshing' sound' does start. Thereafter, it starts perfectly. The only proble is in the mornings or after a few hours when I wish to restart example a few hours later when it is cooled off a bit.
    The starter turns but not the engine immeditely. If there are other queries to understand the problem better, please feel free to ask.

TG
  • trwcerttrwcert Member Posts: 1
    have you still got the car? I can replace throttle cable.
  • sapssaps Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Where are you situated so that I could bring it to?

I am in Midrand Johannesburg,

So you say it is the throttle cable? right?

How long is this job?

TG
    Well, that's probably not going to work out, since the other member isn't in your area. Nice offer, but given that our forums have participants from all over the world, the chances of two members being close enough to give each other hands-on assistance are slim.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• atullatull Member Posts: 1
    my 2004 bmw 5 series deseil is getting no power to injector and having faults code 4a63:ews tampering when i got it diagnose any possible solutions
  • misterscmistersc Member Posts: 23
    I just got stuck on the road in snow for the first time with my 2007 525i. 5 months ago I replaced the battery with a 3rd party battery at the car was struggling to start and battery was old. the mechanic did not program any computer to the replaced battery but it didn't seem to be a problem. Since then, car cranks a little harder to start than original battery but i didnt think much of it. today it cranked and didn't start. the starter switch then seemed to stay on even as i pulled the key out of the car, it was almost as if the engine was still running with the car off. now i think it was closer to the starter motor running continuously without the key in it. after 20 minutes, burning smell and all stopped. i think i burned out the starter and am very concerned that i have a bigger repair on my hands. do i need to change to orignal bmw battery and starter and starter motor and IVM? can my local mechanic still fix this or do i need to go to the bmw dealer and pay a lot of money to fix this? please help.
    You've probably resolved this by now, but at least with the newer model years, if you replace the battery and don't inform the computer, it tailors the charging logic as if it had an old battery, and it may not provide a new battery's full capabilities. It also makes a big difference in the charging routine about the specific AHr rating of the battery you install - the car needs to know.

The starter motor is not designed to run continuously, and I'm surprised it lasted 20-minutes before burning out! The manual on many cars talk about if it doesn't start in say 30-seconds, wait quite awhile before trying again to allow it to cool off. The starter motor continuing to run could be a bunch of things from a bad ignition switch to a sticky solenoid valve or a short. The mechanics of replacing it shouldn't be beyond a good mechanic, but most won't have the ability to reprogram the vehicle to a new battery. Batteries do not like to be deep discharged in general...unless designed for it, each deep discharge decreases the overall life, maybe to zero, if the current load is high enough andoverloads things warps things.
  • onetufvwonetufvw Member Posts: 2
    My car stop cranking on me. It was dragging the day before it stop cranking. Took battery to auto parts store and they tested the battery and it passed. I change the
    IBS Inelegant Battery Sensor and still nothing, i took off the starter and had it tested and it tested good. Called dealership and found out my car does not have INTEGRATED SUPPLY MODULE:121099 (12-52-7-510-638). I ask parts person can he tell me the part that replaced this on my car and he said he did not no. If anyone can help please let me know.

When you turn the key everything lights up properly but no crank! Any ideas or help would be welcome. Dealership wants 89.00 for first hour then the price goes up from there.
    This sounds like the same problem I had and I replaced the starter and it has been working fine.
  • onetufvwonetufvw Member Posts: 2
    Took starter off car and had it tested at parts store and it passed twice...Any other ideas would be welcome.
  • abcd007abcd007 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Hi - dealer maintained 2007 525i with 114K miles, got weird symptoms that was actually due to a worn oil cap. Story: the tensioner bolt (aluminum) head sheared off (!) and I replaced the belt and pulleys. But when I restarted I got wild rpms (goes to 2k, then 800, then 1500, then 1200 in 30 secs) before smoothing to idle. Check engine lights codes came on for P1415, P0102, misfires on cyl 1 and 4. Top mechanic Andrew and owner David Toy at Autowerke Autoy in Rockville, MD says after 2 hours of looking at the computer read-outs that he was 95% sure it was the ignition coils and probably plugs on both cyl 1 and 4. Recommended work was about $600, said he had to take off the filters and housing to get to the coils to switch them around to confirm his dfiagnosis and its not an easy do it yourself. I was surprised that just coincidentally 2 coils would go bad at the same time and this occurred right after changing a belt as the car ran fine before. I paid them for the diagnosis ($117) but just coincidentally on my way back, a young gas station attendant noticed oil cap was loose, and indeed when he pressed on it, the car started normally. Stopping by a dealer, the cap was replaced and all the problems went away. Autowerke / David Toy said the oil cap must have came loose in the few miles I drove it as they saw it and did tighten it, so they refuse to refund the diagnosis fee. The dealer however says the cap is worn and leaky even if it was tighten down. The dealer SA also says once the plastic cover is popped off the coils are plug and play, flip a lever, pull out the contact and pull out the coil, so easy a monkey can do it. My question: is this tricky stuff or is the shop incompetent or trying to rip me off?
  • kdub6kdub6 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    i have a 97 328i.. i just bought this car and had to do some work on it. i just got where i can start it.. i had it started but it died. when i went to try to crank it back over it would not turn over. the starter will not evan make a clicking noise but i got humming noise what seems like coming from my intake where my fuel cables are. the humming is thr at all time. does anybody have any idea what it could be
  • hshahidhshahid Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 525i 2006. It cranked a few times then after that completely stopped cranking and just makes a humming noise when i try to start it. If you find out what the problem is please let me know ASAP!
  • jairo831jairo831 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 550i 2008 and i have  been having some problems with it. First it started by not wanting to start and when driving it would start giving me a transmision malfunction error I looked into it and they told me it could be the IVM but now that I changed it it just gave me a bunch of lights on my dashboard and made it worse i whas hoping someone could help!! 
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    A failing battery can trigger all sorts of malfunction lights on a modern BMW. I'd check both the battery as well as the charging system.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MIYODOMIYODO Member Posts: 1
    95 525i replaced battery 6 months ao and had no issues until yesterday. Drove it in the morning, stopped to get coffee car wouldn't turn over. Lights came on, radio on but no sound when i turn the key not even a click. After 10 minutes try again and start just fine like nothing happened. Drove it all day stopping multiple times and turning it off then restarting with no issues. End of the day does the same things again, all lights come on everything working but nothing when I turn the key. Tried putting it through all the gears to make sure it was in park all the way, the battery has a full charge, nothing. Got a jump and not a dang thing happened at all when I tried to turn it over. It sat all night until today went toi have it towed and started right up. Drove it home and parked it tried starting again and now it ill not start again lol
    Check the main chassis grounds and make sure that the battery terminals/cables are clean and tight. How many miles are on your 5er? It could be a starter/solenoid if you have more than 120k-130k miles on it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• lisam1046lisam1046 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I have a 2005 BMW 530i with 145k miles on it. I know nothing about BMW. Having issues with starting. Put the key in, foot on brake, turn key and nothing happens. No lights or anything. Has happened a few times, but only when it's cold. When it warms up by afternoon, it will start. Haven't gotten any dash light warnings about battery. Only service light warnings I have are rear reverse bulbs need replaced, brakes need replaced and occasionally, when I stop, the abs warning will pop up. Had a slow start issue a few times, but like I said, not always and usually when it's cool out. Only other issue/symptom I've had is having to occasionally reset the clock after starting it, but not always on the days of the slow start, just randomly. Hope im making sense and someone can help. Thanks!
    How old is the battery? I would have it load tested. The battery could well be the issue.

• BorBor Member Posts: 1
    Bmw 528i se 1999. Sept 11th my car sundenly wouldn’t start. I thought it was a starter motor issue, or high resistance connection. Sprayed wd40 in areas, and car worked for nearly 3 weeks stopping starting. Then happened again for good. Only thing is that on every occasion it will start with a jump start. I haven’t been to quick to replace components , only the battery. Alternator charging plus I’ve done some test. Last test being yesterday I connect , via jump leads , the positive terminal directly to the jump start point on top of engine. It starts first time. In fact it started on its on this morning(Monday ). But not able to after. The batt cable has some sort of safety device but if it was that , car would be able to start at odd times I think. I hear there’s some battery safeguard device elsewhere that can be adjusted. Could that be it. There is power on the starter solinoid terminal. But all I get is a click. Self jump starting works every time though 🤭
    edited October 2018
    If it starts off the under hood terminals every time then the problem is likely the battery or cabling. Did you replace the battery with a battery having specs equivalent to the OEM? Clean the connections on the battery terminals as well as every ground cable in sight. There should be one between the engine and the body; that one is crucial to start the car.
    You have an E39 and they do not have the Intelligent Battery System(IBS) so there are no settings to change when you install a new battery
    You've done a fair bit of troubleshooting, but you still might find this helpful:
    BMW No-Start Diagnostics