Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Couldn't agree with you more. I grew up in SC, went to school in GA, and now live in PA for the foreseeable future. The Cold Weather Package makes dealing with these winter mornings a lot easier. Heated seats are also great if you've been doing yard work or other household chores over the weekend - makes going into work Monday mornings almost tolerable.

Ed
  • Hi Ken,
       I remember U did recommand a shop in bay area for alignment. I suspected I have an alignment problem. Let say if I set 36 psi to all tire, 3 days later, only my front driver side tire drops to 32 psi. I am not sure if this is my tire problem. If there is a hole in that tire, the pressure should drops much more than that.

Rgds,
      Jack
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    Not necessarily. The leak rate depends on the size of the puncture as well as how well the foreign material is sealing the leak. I would have the tire checked for leaks before an alignment.

Greg
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Jack,

I think Greg is right. It sounds like what you have is a slow leak rather than an alignment problem. A slow leak can be due to a hole in the tire, a faulty valve or a bent rim. The best thing to do is have a tire shop take a look at it.

The alignment shop I recommend is Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They cost more than your average tire shop, but they'll do the job right.

Ken
  • kajkokajko Posts: 70
    Happy New Year to all.

Yesterday the 2004 Impreza WRX was presented at Detroit. Is it just me, or does the redesigned front take A LOT from our Foresters (except for the fact that the lights are HID, mmmmm)?

http://impreza.subaru.com/

BTW, the STi version comes with a 2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS) 300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm. Oh, and a 6 speed MT.

IMHO: an AWD rocket!

• Thank a lots for the input, I will have the tire check then.
  • lfdallfdal Posts: 679
    Just a FYI for anyone interested. When I started the last round of how much oil the engine can take, because my dealer always sets it high on the stick there were a lot of interesting responses.

BTW I do check it cold on a level spot.

I confirmed this by draining every drop of oil out of it, putting on a new filter, adding exactly 4.2 qts, and then running it just long enough to make sure the filter was full. It was right where it belonged on the stick.

Anyway, I e-mailed Subaru and received a response that I'm filing with my maintenance records just in case, that said the engine will withstand +/- 1 quart. That's a very tolerant engine. If anyone wants to see the e-mail, let me know.
  • rsay777rsay777 Posts: 100
    While vacuuming the interior I noticed some crumbs inside the cup holder and I put the nozzle of the vacuum to get it all tidy and I ended up sucking the rubber liner out and of course I'm one short now. This was at one of the unattended car washes. Just a little FYI. I think I'll put a bit more substantial adhesive under the remaining one. Bob L
  • Now that the turbo is going to be the top-of-the-line must-have option, anybody think that the moonroof might be available on some of the "lesser" beasties.

I once posted this haiku:

Gosh I like the blue,
    But I want the moonroof too.
    What am I to do?

Responses suggested I get the silver?!?!? Has anybody investigated or had an aftermarket sunroof installed. How did it compare, what sort of pricing, manual vs electric, etc?

Cheers!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,697
    I hope so. It would be shame to restrict that to just the turbo model.

Bob
    I want the turbo
    Don't really need the moonroof
    Am I stuck with it?

Ed
    You guys crack me up!

Ken
  • The moonroof is cool
    Really lets in the Sunshine
    Can't wait for summer
    Male pattern baldness
    Makes moonroof superfluous
    Must slather sunscreen

Ed
  • jtm4jtm4 Posts: 60
    My hope is that one day Subaru will offer the sunroof on the X model. Subaru, are you listening?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Hear, hear. I'm interested in an X but a sunroof is on my must-have list. Here in Canada at least Subaru doesn't offer factory options apart from the transmission and colour, so to put a sunroof in the X they'd either have to change that policy and give buyers the option of paying extra for the sunroof, or make it standard across the Forester line. I'm not holding out much hope for either of those possibilities, so unfortunately I'll probably not end up driving a Forester. Too bad, because it's a very attractive vehicle otherwise.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    The moonroof is neat
    But not in summer's heat
    Maybe I should move north

-Frank P.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    There are plenty of reputable aftermarket places that will install a moonroof for you. A pop-up runs around $350 and an electric about a $1,000. The only down side is that you're not likely to find an aftermarket as huge as the one they put in at the factory.

-Frank P.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    That's one major downside, along with the cost. Aftermarket electric sunroofs tend to be more expensive than factory sunroofs added as an extra-cost option. It would be nice if Subaru could sprinkle a few more sunroofs throughout their model line, not just on the Forester.
  • d0ugd0ug Posts: 7
    I noticied when my wife started the Forester today a puff of smoke. It looked and smelled like oil rather than condensation. The car is only 6 months old and has 10,000 miles. I was just wondering if this is common for the boxer engine. I check the oil frequently and it has never been down between oil changes. Thanks AL
    A puff of smoke on startup is not a common occurance. While the layout of the boxer engine does keep more oil by the piston seals, the seals themselves should prevent significant amounts of oil from getting by.

I'd keep an eye on it. If it persists, you should take it into the dealer to have it documented and looked at.

Ken
  • lowellklowellk Posts: 30
    Love wind through my hair
    But open moonroof too much
    Balding turbulence
  • Frank, watch your Haiku
    Five-seven-five is the way
    You're a little off

Not here to chew out
    Simply trying out new role
    The Haiku Police
  • sartiesartie Posts: 10
    Hello, all!

I'm building trouble-free miles rapidly on my '03 XS. I plan on keeping the car for 7 to 8 years and maybe accumulating 160,000 miles total. Can anyone suggest a Subaru dealer--anywhere in the US--who might offer the best price on the Subaru Exended Warranty?
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    Folks,

I've noticed a questionable "whine" or "hum" coming from the transmission that can be felt as a buzzing through the accelerator on my foot. Started 1-2 months ago, although I thought it was just road noise at first. It is not.

The noise/feeling comes through when the car is pulling/accelerating at around 30-45mph around 2000-2200rpm. I cannot tell what "gear" it's in, since it's an auto tranny. The whining noise is audible in the cabin as well.

Has anyone experienced this? Sign of transmission trouble or need to have the tranny checked? I'm at 16K miles and about 2-3 weeks overdue on a service which will be handled next week.

Thanks,
    burnsmr4
    sartie: Where are you located? Have you tried shopping around your local dealers for the Extended Warranty?

burnsmr4: Hard to tell what it might be based on your description, but be sure to have your dealer document the concern and look at it. Since it occurs at a particular speed and engine RPM, it seems like it could be tranny related. Have you tried replicating the problem with the gear selector in other than "D"?

Ken
  • ddunbarddunbar Posts: 31
    We bought our 2003 X in late August. My wife found it discharge a big puff of smoke one morning the first month and then it really sputtered for her until she turned it off and restarted. That seemed to clear it up for that day. We've had a few other times when it has stalled or sputtered, but the dealer has not found anything in their tests. The poor performance is so occasional that it's doubtful we'll get it to repeat for them. Also, our gas mileage has been as low as 17 on one tank in November; I'm not sure is the fuel is now oxegynated here in the Bay Area but our mileage has been a definite disappointment. Suggestions?

Don
  • Have had my new Forester about a week now. I really like my new Subie (first one I've had). But there's one thing that has me scratching my head. This new auto climate control thing is freaky. It wants to run the A/C much more often that I think is appropriate. Here it is January in the midwest, and it keeps turning the A/C on. Also, does pushing the "recirc" button supposed to turn on the A/C? Mine does.
  • rsay777rsay777 Posts: 100
    Just a few further notes on firing up the 03. I picked mine up in Aug 02 and noticed right away that it took more cranks than the old Legacy to start the engine. I count 5 every time. I thought it might be the new engine but now with 6k it is still the same. One other oddity is a few times during the first month it would start and then immediately die. It hasn't had this problem recently however. I've never seen a puff of smoke during start up. FYI, Bob L.
    Don: Our gas in the Bay Area is still oxygenated. I believe gas companies now use ethanol instead of MTBE. Oxygenates definetly reduce gas milage, but 17 does sound pretty low. What brand of gas do you use? I've found that 76 or Chevron gas typically gives good results.

As for the puff of smoke -- what color was it? White usually indicates some type of coolant leak, whereas blue indicates oil. Which dealer do you use? Santa Cruz Subaru is awesome and Carlsen Subaru is pretty good. Take you vehicle in and have your concerns documented thoroughly.

harkey1: I think all auto climate control systems make more use of the A/C. Not only is it set to kick in when the cabin goes above a certain temperature, but it also will kick in based on the the vent direction (ie. defrost).

Ken

Ken
This discussion has been closed.