Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Scion Xb

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    and yet, there are people raving about the fit, whereas the yaris is nothing to write home about. If you can get a great handling car for the same price or sliglty more, why not?

i can see that toyota's philosophys are trickling down to their employees; because they to don't belive in amerians who enjoy or give extra points for handling, because they offer nothing along those lines in any of their cars.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    If you can get better economy and a larger back seat, and save a couple of grand, why not?

Touche!

DrFill
  • I am contemplating getting a 2008 xB. I have a low mileage 2004 xB which I like, but have read a couple of reviews that specifically referenced the "side bolsters" on the '04 seats that aren't present on the '08. It was said that the support for your thighs and legs was poor in comparison to the original xB seats.

Has anyone with an '08 who has taken it on a long drive AND has driven an '04 or '05 with the original seats noticed any fatigue or discomfort in comparison? Just curious. Keep or buy a new one?
  • Has anyone had any experience using the new Nav system Scion is now offering as an accessory? Apparently it couples with the standard Pioneer radio (not the premium) offering. Is it any good? Any comparisons to the Toyota Camry/Sienna or GM versions been yet made?

Also what about the Scion security system accessory. Any good? Worth getting? Any comments appreciated.
  • fromjustus:

I have driven a 2006 xB and found the seats somewhat uncomfortable, but I love the 208 seats. Then again, I am a man of considerable...width, so a more bony butt may find the 2006 seats a better home. It is so subjective, I would just recommend going to the dealer and trying it out.

The nav system does not work off of the base system, it is a completely seperate head unit. It is basically an Alpine nav unit that is Scion branded and has the connections to work with all of the stock controls and inputs.

The Scion security system is a fairly basic unit that ties into the factory harness. It is expensive considering it's lack of features, but will be more reliable and much easier to install than an aftermarket alarm.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    some people have different priorites...i'll take the ones that are inherent of a nicer/pricer vehicle.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

In Central Florida the dealers have added an approximately $600.00 dealer fee for the Scions. My impression is the fee is simply additional dealer profit.

Does anyone have any more insight into this fee? What is the best negotiating tactic in your opinion?

With appreciation and kind regards.
  • I personally LOVE my scion seats i have a 2008. :)

they seem quite conflicted.

They applaude the new power (0-60 in 7.8, top speed of 124), and the content, but want quirkier styling and more cubbie holes.

More or less, it is more Toyota than Scion, to their eyes, which isn't necessarily bad, but counter to the mission.

DrFill
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    has tanked, IMO. The print review and the online review of the xB seem to be polar opposites. I'm not renewing my subscription, I've given the new format over 6 issues and still find it illegible, blending in with paid-for-advertisements, and the specs pages are awful. Too bad, I used to love that 'zine..
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    On balance, it seemed a positive review, at least for what I'm looking for. As a car that will also be used by my soon-to-be 16 year old son, all of the changes were necessary, particularly the safety equipment and added power (to make it work in Dallas traffic and, eventually, carting off everything to college).
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    Too true - they seem to think I buy it to see how well they can add up scores on their comparisons. I (used to) buy it because I respected their opinions, not their stopwatches. Not any more.
    Their best days are behind them. They make a good article every now and then. :(

But their stopwatch does come in handy. I figured a xB with a stick was 8 seconds.

The HHR lacks the features and style of the xB. :shades:

DrFill
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I think it is a good deal for $17K for what you get since most other cars for this price have fewer features.

However, I will still pass on it because I didn't like the driving position and many other attributes of the xB.

Seats too low and dash too high bathtub position, giant rear blind spots. Armrest is a joke. You have to try to balance your arm on the very narrow fold down armrest.
    Factory radios look aftermarket, not integrated into the design of the dash and will attract theft. "I just bought this stereo from Best Buy. Please steal it and install in your 89 Camaro."
    Gas mileage disappointing. 4-speed automatic disappointing on a car that is a new design.
  • subjectivesubjective Posts: 62
    The only serious problem we have had with our one Month old 08 XB is with the OEM Bridgestone EL400-02 tires. At 1300 miles the right rear tire sidewall failed suddenly with a perfectly straight separation from the edge of the tread to the rim. The mgr of the Bridgestone company store would not replace it under the warranty and in fact told me that EL400-02 was a cheap OEM tire and he could not even get it. Customers of Tire rack that own this tire have reported it in reviews as poor in wear and driveability. Bridgestone customer service is nonexistant as they have not answered my emails and I can not find listed an 800 number as other tire manufacturers have. I would advise new owners of the 08 XB that have these tires to immediately exchange them for the Serenity or another make quality tire.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    You will need to read the tire warranty paperwork and follow their warranty instructions.
  • subjectivesubjective Posts: 62
    Ive jumped through all the Bridgestone warranty hoops. Did I mention that the directional stability is also poor on these junk tires. Manufacturers, especially Toyota/Scion should not install on a new car such a lousy oem tire. Im going to take these tires off, throw them away and order Kumho KH-16 to replace them. If I sound disgusted I am!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    As the latest Camry wagon-[non-permissible content removed]-crossover, the xB works pretty well and is a good value. Sort of a strippo Camry CE wagon.

But in that case it should have the Toyota badge. As a Scion, the new xB is very ordinary and conventional. Autoweek had an unflattering review with which I agree on most points. They took an avant garde JDM Toyota and evolved it into a porky, gas-thirsty car whose styling causes it to disappear in the crowd of crossovers out there. :-(

As such, it should have a Toyota badge. Leave the Scion name for interesting and different cars.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I think the poutside is aggressive and unique, without trying to be trend or quirky.

And a stiff wind would've blown the '06 over. The '06 was cheap, but roomy. Like a draft of a future car.

If that is what Scion's mission is, than I don't want any part of it.

The xB and xD will be more substantial, safer, better driving cars. If that makes them too Toyota-like, so be it. Scions can be better without losing their style. I thiunk the xB did that. :confuse:

C&D said the car is light-years better, but gets off the Scion mission.

You can get a great Toyota vehicle, a great value, for $17k. And it looks cool. :shades:

DrFill
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    And it truly is a Toyota, through and through. This IS your grandfather's Toyota...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)