Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• Options
    jwallyjwally Member Posts: 71
    check your fuses,i had steering lock and many items not working do to water leaking on driver side from either top of windshield,weather strip or roof rack(anyone know where common leaks are or same experience?)I found fuse number 15 and 27 blown.one replaced made many things work again
  • Options
    scabboscabbo Member Posts: 1
    For last 2 weeks my 03' Lincoln Nav has been telling me "Check Suspension".
    This morning the truck was totally flat to the ground and would not pump up. Does anyone have any ideas? :sick:
  • Options
    stiritupstiritup Member Posts: 18
    If none have been changed before, I suggest you change your sensor, arm and compressor on all tires. The problem is bound to repeat after you diagnose and replace the current faulty part. The parts seems to go bad around the same time so even if you fix the offending part, you are bound to tow the vehicle back to the dealer very shortly to fix the other parts.

I changed my compressor and all three arms plus one sensor (on the offending wheel) and the problem seem to go away. Four months latter I began experiencing similar symptoms and this time changed the remaining two sensors and everything seems to be fine. Just that I have to put the vehicle into drive before it will rise up and if it is very cold it seem slow in coming up, other than that it is fine.
  • Options
    cissicissi Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    I had exactely the same problem at my Lincoln navigator 2004. It felt completely down. At mine it was the hm difficult to transelate to english but I will try. In the system who raise and low the car its a compressor, this one as I understood should have been to service every 4 year , something I didnt knew. So inside there its a shaft or what its called who was broken in mine. So ask your garage to check your air suspension compressor.
    I found out that to have a Lincoln is very difficult since to contact Ford and ask for help is impossible. They dont give any service at al. I explained that I live in Sweden and that very few here can with the system for American new cars . But no help to get. So this forum is very good to have.
    I hope this was to help for you.
  • Options
    i BEEN told by a mechanic that the reason the rear is down and front is up is because the compressor is not coming on and I need a relay. suppose to get done today, will keep you posted.
  • Options
    picked up today they replaced the relay,seems ok so far until next problem with this POS Found On Road Dead(FORD) product. The relay looked easy to replace,its under front bumper near horn,parts around $152.
  • Options
    MattyMoMattyMo Member Posts: 1
    For those of you with a low-rider Navigator that is low in the back the first thing to check is the relay as it is a $115 dollar part you can pick up and change yourself. Also, you can test to see if the relay is the problem by bypassing it. How? Follow these steps.. (this is straight from the Ford/Lincoln Service CD)

1) Locate Suspension Relay (behind passenger headlight - next to the horn - small amp looking like box - access from the ground - with a 4 post plug going into it).
    2) Pull the 4-post plug
    3) The manual says to connect a bypass wire "10 guage with 50A fuse" (I used about a 4" long - 14 guage wire - no fuse) from post A to post B (the left two posts when looking at the plug and the tab is on top)
    4) If the relay is the problem you will immediately hear the compressor start to air-up your shocks - just don't leave the wire there for more than 30-40 seconds as it will get hot and you risk burning out your compressor.
    5) Once your shocks are aired up and the back end is not longer a low rider then you should be able to drive around for a few days before leaks in the system let the air out - enough time to get to the dealer and get a new air compressor relay.

If this does not solve the problem then you likely have a bad air compressor.
  • Options
    stuelecstuelec Member Posts: 1
    i recently had a suspension conversion kit installed they clipped the violet wire
    and the suspension message stayed on then they clipped the green wire with
    the yellow stripe the light still did not go out. i had a great idea to disconnect the
    battery and then reconnect we did so and the message dissapered. now when i
    first start the truck the power sterring is hard to turn until i get moving then it works
    fine my question is did they cut the wrong wires or did we need to cut any at all.
    ( i had an allignment to if that matters )
  • Options
    bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    Its hard not to reply to every message that shows disgust towards the navigator because of expensive suspension problems. I am a complete advocate of coil over strut conversions. So much so that I freely continue to pass on the word about how great the convversion has been. I just traveled to Ixtapa Mexico (way down south) and had no problems what so ever. It is the perfect solution to consistent air suspension problems.
    Spend $750 shipped once or your repeated repair costs time after time.
    I also have the dealer's Air Suspension Service Manual in PDF if you request it. My email is williamacosta26@gmail.com

Good Luck,
    PS, the ride is perfect and instalation is fairly straight forward. I am not a paid promoter so go with the company you want. But I am beyond happy, and trust my suspension once again.

I am also selling a complete fully working air suspension I replaced with coils. :shades:
  • Options
    bronconvictbronconvict Member Posts: 12
    What is the year? I have the instruction kit to my conversion and it tells me what to cut. i'll look tommorow. mine is for the 03-07 Navs
  • Options
    jlewis38jlewis38 Member Posts: 1
    does the relay method work for the navigator being low in the front?
  • Options
    gjohn1gjohn1 Member Posts: 2
    I am really having a hard time determining what is the cost-effective remedy to this problem. Since I have no intentions of entering into a car show, the low rider look and feel is not for me. However, the research on fixing this problem has me going in circles! I was told the reason the rear air suspension does not stay leveled is because the air bags need to be replaced, or the sensor has gone bad, or that I just need to replace the whole air compressor, which costs, $497.00(used). How do I know that I won't come across the same problem with another new or used air compressor?
    Does anyone have info on a possible recall for any parts to this system, since it seems to be quite a common problem? It would really relieve the huge headache from this dilemma if the manufacturer or dealership was responsible? If anyone has a keen insight, please let me know ASAP! My son is really tired of bouncing up and down in the back seat! Thanks.
  • Options
    gjohn1gjohn1 Member Posts: 2
    Don't know yet. I saw message #110 and was really impressed with the info. I will print it out and give to my mechanic to look into this weekend. I'm not sure if there will be more frustration if it doesn't work and I have to actually end up paying $500.00 plus, just to get things back right. And, you would possibly see me on the Breaking News one day if I spent that kind of money and the same problem occurred! I just feel like I am taking a big gamble dealing with this problem! I want to know the source of why this problem occurs to begin with and if someone or something is responsible for this inconvenience and poor quality system.
  • Options
    hatemygatorhatemygator Member Posts: 2
    I am going to order conversion kit for my 03. It appears once the airbags and compressor start acting up its never ending from what Im researching.. Conversion kit is 799 vs replacing air shocks and compressor at around 2500 from the rip off service department at lincoln.
  • Options
    zigzzigz Member Posts: 4
    I had the same conversion done yesterday and have the same problem. I ended up reconnecting the violet wire which brought my power steering back to normal but left a suspension off message. Have you found a solution yet?
  • Options
    hatemygatorhatemygator Member Posts: 2
    From what Im reading the wire you are supposed to cut to get the suspension light off was number 25 its on dark green/yellow plug and to tape any exposed ends to avoid shorts. This is located on air suspension module.
  • Options
    Thanks hatemygator, I should have given more details.
    I just had a conversion done to my 03 Nav but haven't been able to get the suspension light to go out without losing the variable power steering. Strutmasters instructions want the violet wire #26 cut and if it fails to remove the light they say to cut the dark green wire w/ yellow stripe #25. Suncore's instructions say to cut only #25. Originally wire #26 was cut and the light stayed on, then #25 was cut still not change until the battery was disconnected. Unfortunately after wards #26 had to be re-connected because the power steering assist was lost without #26 attached. If anyone has successfully achieved this please share how you did it.

The power steering always worked but with #26 cut you had to start driving a 10-20 feet before it would kick in and work. I didn't want to damage the rack or pump so I chose to reattach the wire.
  • Options
    oscspoposcspop Member Posts: 4
    after moths of trouble shooting my failed suspension for leaks torn air bags and even corrosion on all connectors and relays @ 60 plus bucks each, not to mention the hight sensors 250 $ each..I decided to order a four wheel coilspring conversion kit and eliminate my air ride problems forever .
    My navi now looks like an suv not a lowrider.
    It rides great ,smooth and stable Im more than happy with the results It took me and a helper 2 days to install the systen in only because I had to replace
    a damaged tie rod (my fualt ) too eager to fix my ride . $830 . shippped to california
    from suncore industries in florida . why waste your good $ on an a poor design
    you will not be sorry feel free to email me with any questions oscspop@att.net :):)
  • Options
    Did Suncoasts method of disabling the check suspension message work for you?
  • Options
    leamon1leamon1 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Nav's air suspension is out and I would like help on how to trouble shoot the problem and how to fix it. Also where to get the parts if necessary.
  • Options
    barb1877barb1877 Member Posts: 4
    We've been reading all about he compressor, computer, relays, etc. So we have an idea that the compressor is going bad on this used 01 Navigator (loud, takes awhile to get pumped up and drops rather quickly)... When the air ride is fixed, does it usually last awhile or will this be an on-going issue?? Unsure whether to purchase or not...
  • Options
    califasvatocalifasvato Member Posts: 1
    But how can you open the solenoids? I own a 98 Lincoln Navigator and the compressor stopped working, at the time i didn't have enough $$$ to buy a new compressor so my father in law recommended a guy that knew how to lock the air bags and manually fill them up whenever needed. After checking out what this guy does a few couple of times, it seems like something easy, that I can do myself. I asked him to show me exactly what he does and he wouldn't, :mad: that [non-permissible content removed]****! Can someone help, i want to know exactly what he did and how, if possible???
  • Options
    vizaldyvizaldy Member Posts: 3
    i'm looking for a enengine computer for my na but i'm having problems finding it
  • Options
    stix11stix11 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2wd 2000 navigator. went to see t grandmother the other day and when I left her house I heard my compressor kick on and make a louder than normal "clakkin" noise. I noticed the suspension was riddin rougher than normal and I stopped to check it out. By the time i stopped the navi fenders were sittin on mt 24 inch wheels. I luckily was near a friends house and parked it. Now the compressor only makes a very quit hum sound and does not pump up the sagged rear end. I removed air line from the compressor and filled up air bags with a shop compressor until normal ride height was achieved and then turned the system off with the switch located under passenger dash. The problem i believe is the compressor. but the system will not stay pumped up after being filled and the switch turned off. Is their a leak in the system somewhere. that is allowing the rear end to drop again. It only stays up for about 5 minutes then starts to drop. before all this happened, when I would park and get out, after shutting the door i woulld hear the sound off air releasing from something near the drivers side front tire. could this be a leak. Does anyone know what is making that air exscaping sound. I checked the air line and right around that area that I hear this air releasing the line has a point were it is connected to another line that runes to the rear airbags. there is no clamp or anything and can be easily pulled apart. Is this normal on all navis. why is my rear end not holding air after being manually charged and the system turned off.
    Please help
  • Options
    dgeatdgdgeatdg Member Posts: 1
    Your air shocks won't stay up because the solenoid is stuck open, which is what happens when you turn the system off. The navi. system has so many problems, it's cheaper and wiser just to convert to coil springs, which should last almost forever, and require no maintenance and give you as good a ride. Just because it came on the car doesn't mean it's the best system. This is Ford we're talking about.
  • Options
    ffmedicffmedic Member Posts: 1
    Ok... my Nav is an 03. It was parked in my drive way for several months due to engine repairs (replaced heads). Once the engine was up and operational we noticed the compressor wasn't coming on to adjust the height. It was sitting on the wheel stops. Not in kneel position but sitting level on all four tires/wheel stops.

Anyway, we went online to Alldata, and tested the compressor by way of bypassing the Relay (in front engine compartment by headlight). When the compressor engaged, we went and bought a new relay. Even with the new relay, the compressor still won't come on. We can jump/bypass the relay and it starts but only briefly. We did the drive test (15 mph in drive or 20mph in 4wd) and the compressor never kicked on.

So where do we go from here? I can't see replacing the compressor knowing it can be started via the bypass wire but with a new relay installed what else could it possibly be.

Your local firefighter needs some help please?
  • Options
    threads1threads1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello sick and tired, I have a 99 Navi w/ the same problem. I jumped my truck and my rear shocks went out. I had it check by a friend w/ a code finder and he said it was my compresser motor. I wonder before I spend 350 did you ever find a solution?
  • Options
    whitefish1whitefish1 Member Posts: 1
    rear suspension pumps up, however will deflate when driving or sitting, hoiwever, does not deflate every time, so it can't be an air leak or it would drop every time? Someone suggested solenoids or computer problem?? what should I look for first, compressor is working.
  • Options
    lincoln03lincoln03 Member Posts: 13
    Every winter my air suspension starts acting up and I wind up paying hundreds of dollars on sensors and diagnostics.
    I finally decided to install a coil over conversion kit front and back. It's been 2 weeks and I have had no problems. The ride is not that much different than with air. You might get a bit more side to side motion but nothing really noticable.
    For all those with continuous air ride problems this might be a solution. No more paying hundreds of dollars for my winter air ride headaches for me. :)
  • Options
    fuslovefuslove Member Posts: 1
    Ok Guys and or Gals, here is my problem... it only occurs when it rains but the truck does indeed look like a low rider and bounces as such. My question is how do I test the dryer and compressor for defaults before I carry it in to the rapist (Ford/Lincoln dealer) and where are these items located on the truck?

Any assistance will be eternally greatful.
  • Options
    bfeickertbfeickert Member Posts: 1
    I let my gf use my truck today for about an hour and when it came back the [non-permissible content removed] end was on the ground. The compressor makes a thumping sound(not loud tho) and the check light ISNT on. Is the compressor shot? And am i better off buying an Arnott air bag and compressor kit or going with Strutmasters spring conversion kit? I plan on keeping the lincoln for as long as possible but dont want to sacrifice ride quality at all. Also, if i get replacement bags do i need to worry about new sensors or relay? I dont want to pay the dealer the 1400 they want to fix it but I also dont want to have to fix this more than once. Any help you can give me would be absolutely fantastic. One more thing, does it have air struts on the front and if so do i need to worry about those going out??
  • Options
    Don't know if you saw my recent posting but I did a full coilover conversion front and back. I have an 03 Nav and every winter I was having problems with the air system. The cost was $850 from Suncore and I had a mechanic install it for $100. I am not advertising for them, you can research other companies that do conversions. Anyway, if you do the conversion you will have to sacrifice a bit on the cushy ride. To me it's not really noticable until you are making turns at speeds of around 45 miles or so. You get a little swaying motion that you don't get with the air shocks. I think I made a good investment. I paid $950 one time, now I do not have to pay $1200 to 1400 every winter for sensors, relays, air bags, compressor, dryer, computer diagnostic and setting, etc. Oh and you have air shocks all around and yes you have to worry about those failing eventually also.
  • Options
    tamitab100tamitab100 Member Posts: 4
    I am taking everyone's advice regarding the coil spring conversion and I'm looking for a mechanic to work on my 2000 Navigator..not sure what city and state you're in but I'm in Brooklyn, NY and I need to find someone to do it for me asap.

Also, I've only had a problem with my rear suspension; should I convert to coils in the front also?
  • Options
    crockgatorcrockgator Member Posts: 1
    Great post by MattyMo - thanks! "Access from the ground" means lay down, and look up underneath the bumper! (duh - embarrassed to admit I missed this first few times around)! You'll see the horns - the relay is to the right of the horns. Use a flashlight - the plug has a tab facing outward that prevents you from just yanking off the plug. Gently bend the tab outward slightly, and the plug should easily be pulled off.

Then as MattyMo suggests, look at the plug, and orient the tab so it's facing "up." Having prepared a few inches of copper wire, jam one end into the left most tab of the connector, and the other end into the next tab on the connector - the left two tabs on the connectors.

In my case, I could hear the compressor immediately. So I figured the problem must be the RELAY. So I plugged the connector back in, and decided just to double check by starting up, and with the break on, shifting into Drive. Viola! The compressor kicked in, and pumped up the rear end.

I think others have commented that unplugging then replugging the relay can work ... by making a clean connection with the relay tabs ... in my case (after dozens of other things going wrong) it definitely worked this time! It's so easy to check, I keep the jumper wire in my glovebox. Props again to MattyMo for the original post.
  • Options
    lunvdlordlunvdlord Member Posts: 1
    :mad: 2000 Lincoln Navigator air compressor stays on.

2000 Lincoln Navi air pump stay on until check suspension light come on. (Note: In about one hour of driving). No leaks in airbags. Can turn off air pump and veh will stay up for days. Veh was fine until I had a radiator put in.
  • Options
    tamitab100tamitab100 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the conversion done on my 2000 'Gator but I'm having a problem with the power steering now. Just like one of the earlier posts; once you get going you're good but I'm not used to the steering being so hard. Did you have the same problem and if so what did you do? I know we turned the suspension off prior to the conversion and I just read about the problems with cutting the wrong wire but no one has successfully given a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    :confuse:
  • Options
    cvienicvieni Member Posts: 1
    Recent instructions sent to me recently with the coil over conversion kit I ordered.
    The following procedure should work to have the dash board light go out.

Pull the fuse to compressor, leave solenoids and ride height sensors plugged in.

In order to turn off the suspension light you must access the Suspension Control Module and cut the DARK GREEN WIRE with the LIGHT GREEN STRIPE.

The suspension control module is located behind the radio, which is accessed by carefully removing the hatch cover on the top of the dash board.
  • Options
    After my conversion, Suncore changed their instructions and specify leaving the solenoids in place. To regain the power steering assist, I reconnected the cut wire and have left the light on. Unfortunately for me the solenoids were already thrown away.
  • Options
    farnsworth99farnsworth99 Member Posts: 2
    Excellent call! Fixed my problem right away! Just disconnected realy and WD-40'd the plug and reconnected. Working fine! Thanks a million.
  • Options
    rwchilrwchil Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 99 Navigator. When I first drove it the compressor seemd to run for a short time and then shut off and stay off. Now it seems to run most of the time. How much should it run? Is running most of time an indicator of a developing problem?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    devanwondevanwon Member Posts: 1
    98 lincoln navigator just started the other day. it pumps itself all the way to the max and maintains it...how do I fix this, where do I start, I am very mechanically inclined so any help is appreciated!!
  • Options
    perdueddperduedd Member Posts: 2
    I own a 98 Navigator that the check suspension light would go on and out sometimes on. The compressor runs a lot and sounds loud and rough. the compressor even run when the car is off and is unattended at times. I ran over a speed bump one night and the next morning the rear was drop on the tires. The compressor didn't come on when I started the vehicle. I've checked to see if any electrical part was disconnected due to the speed bump. I took out the compressor thinking its the place I should start. Any suggestion before I start to spend unnecessary money and other procedures I can try..... :sick:

ANY help will be appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    ss1ss1 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering saving myself alot of time, money and frustration by switching to the Arnott Inc coil conversion kit. My 05" navigator drops so that is sitting directly on top of the tire on the passenger side. I have replaced the air spring, upper hardware mount, ,also referred to as the cap, o-rings and the solenoid. The dealer says it passes the pnuematic tests it is just a very slow leak that they were not able to pinpoint. Their solution is to replace the cap on the other side. I am skeptical and reluctant to throw more money at it.

The problem is drops all the down after it has been parked for about 30 minutes. I have to sit with my foot on the brake and put it drive and wait 1-2 minutes before it reinflates and I can drive away. :mad:

So, What has been your experience with the conversion? Are you happy with it. Does it ride alot harder than the air? Any other side effect? Does it ride the same height as the Air? Do you have any suspension problem indicator messages?

Thanks
  • Options
    The Kit I got is from Suncore. I had it installed while my nav was at the body shop. The height is about the same or about 1/2 inch higher than with air. At first you can tell the difference between the air and spring system but after a month or so the springs soften up. If you never experienced the air shock ride you would not know the difference with springs. As for the light, most kits come with instructions on how to turn off the dash indicator. I chose to turn the switch off at the rear of the vehicle and that shuts the air system off. If not the compressor will come on and off as it should. What that did was disable the system but I have a steady message at the dash that states "air system shut off." That does not bother me at all. I will have to wait for winter to see how it handles in cold weather.

Overall, I am happy with the conversion. Now I do not worry about forking over all that money everytime a component of the air system goes bad.
  • Options
    perdueddperduedd Member Posts: 2
    How much was labor cost to install the conversion kit? How long did it take them to put it on?
  • Options
    Since it was already at the bodyshop getting some work done they did it for me for $100. It should be around $350 $400 if you take it to a shop though. A good shop can do it in about 3 hours.
  • Options
    ss1ss1 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to answer my own question for those of you considering switching to coils. I highly recommend it. I just had this converted and I am extremely happy with the results. I was afraid the ride would be much rougher with the coils, but there is little or no noticable difference. The only adjustment I have had to make is it sits about an half to an inch higher that when the air springs where fully inflated. But I like the look. The stance is more similar to the new 2008/09 navigators.

It cost me $375 to switch them out and $65 to have it realligned to be safe.

Now, I dont have a low rider and I don't have to wait a minute before I can drive away. Also, I can go up north to cold country without worry about the suspension bottoming out and tearing up my tires on my 22" rims.

If you want to save yourself frustration there really is little or no downside to switching to coils. I am a Ford guy so I hope Lincoln fixes the design on this flawed system on their future navigators.
  • Options
    navahatornavahator Member Posts: 4
    ok i have already changed my suspension compressor that 2 different mechanics told me that it was no good....after reading Mattmo post...i had my husband go outside under the truck pull the relay out and connect the wire and it went on so now i'm guessing its the relay, but of course he didn't want to leave it connected to long just in case it got hot but it didn't make the truck go up from the front...now does the work on both front and back
  • Options
    stix11stix11 Member Posts: 6
    My check suspension light wil come on while i drive down the road. the suspension is usually inflated when i stop and check after noticing the check light. I reset the suspension switch under the glovebox and the compressor comes on. this usually lasts for about 100-200 miles. before i have to reset the switch again. any ideas?
  • Options
    navahatornavahator Member Posts: 4
    i have a 03 navigator and i tried to locate that switch i have no idea where its at....i pulled out my glovebox but i can't find plz tell me where i can find it at....i actually just bought a new suspension relay but it hasn't came in yet so i'm hoping that what it is because when i wired it like one of the last post said it turned on...