Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• stiritupstiritup Member Posts: 18
    I just came from the dealership a few minutes agon and seriously considering switching my air rides.

I was having similar issue with my 03 Gator on 24 inch rims. Back in August of 08 I took it to the dealership (Oursiman of Alexandria, in Northern Virginia) to be looked at. They diagnosed and so far have changed the following:

Air Compressor Right Front Side
    Right Front Side Sensor
    Replaced all three Adjusted Aims
    Left Ride Height Sensor
    Rear Height Sensor
    Total cost of the above $2513.60 (very painful)

The system worked for roughly eight months and failed again. I took it today and they tell me there is a $500 relay that needs to be changed before they can continue testing to see what is wrong. Yeah, that is what I said.

Anyways, I called Suncore but they tell me they can’t give me the name of anyone in the Northern Virginia area that can do the change for me until I buy the conversion kits because it is against their company policy. I would give up the vehicle except it is highly customized and I have put a lot into it already. I will appreciate it if anyone in the DC, VA and MD area is on here who knows of a shop that can give me a quote as to how much it will be for the conversion.
  • stix11stix11 Member Posts: 6
    i have a pdf manual for an 03 nav with 4 wheel drive and it says that the suspension switch on the 03 nav is located in the jack box that is located in the rear kick panel behind the back seat. if you post your e-mail address i will forward you the pdf manual that i have.
  • navahatornavahator Member Posts: 4
    sure you can email it to frannybrown06@hotmail.com
  • stiritupstiritup Member Posts: 18
    Stix11,
    Please send the PDF manual for 03 NAV to me as well if you don't mind. My address is doffoh@hotmail.com.

doffoh at hotmail dot com.
    Thanks a lot.
  • nando2009nando2009 Member Posts: 3
    Were you found that kit? $350 don't sounds bad.
    my problem in the morning the commpresor dosen't work and my nav is all the way down, probably after 15 or 20 min. the commpresor turns on. some body can help me?">
  • navahatornavahator Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: well i still can't get my compressor to come on its new, & have changed a relay too...but i have no idea why it won't turn on at all....but I did get the manuel the other day in my email...thanks by the way....so hopefully i can figure this thing out
  • worldnavigatorworldnavigator Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here on Edmunds. I have a 2000 Navigator that is now sitting on it's back wheels - air suspension failure. The air susp.dash light is not on so local mechanic can't figure out what is causing it using his scan tool. Did a bit of research and could be a number of things ie: bad relay, loose connector etc. any advice on how to troubleshoot the issue without going broke at the dealer?
  • navigirlnavigirl Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Thanks so much for this! I did the test and my air compressor kicked on after i put the 2 wires in the slots.. So I thought ok its the relay so I bought a new one put it in and nothing.. I took it out and in and nothing so I put the copper 2 wires back in the 2 slots and it comes on? I am not sure whats wrong? Do u have any suggestions for me as to whats wrong? Thank you!
  • navigirlnavigirl Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Does anyone have a pdf file of the manual for a 2001 Lincoln Navigator that they could email me? I need to know which fuse#'s go to the relay switch & where they are at.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You should be able to download one from Ford:

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online

Unless you mean a repair manual. This may tide you over until you can locate one:

Online Repair Manuals
  • djfunndjfunn Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

New guy here.. I wanted to know if there was a way to check the air suspension relay. I just had the rear air bags replaced along with the relay and the back dropped again.

I took it back and this time they told me it was the Compressor. I bypassed the relay and the compressor turned on. So I took it to another dealer and they told me it was the control module. I want to make sure its not just the relay before I switch out the control module.

Does anyone know a way to test the relay? I think I read somewhere you can swap it with another relay in the Navi, but I can not locate that info to try it out. Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you
  • paras7paras7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 navigator. I first noticed that passenger side front wheel would take a long time to lift after cold weather, but now after the first freeze all four wheels are at the bottom and the compressor won’t kick in. Need help... thanks
  • tdinh2tdinh2 Member Posts: 1
    HI ALL,

I'M NEW WITH THIS FORUMS, BUT DON'T WE ALL THINKS THAT FORD SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS DAME ISSUES WITH THEIR SO CALL" DYNAMIC AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM"? I MEAN IT'S OBVIOUS THAT EVERYONE WHO HAD A NAVIGATOR HAS HAD SOME SORT OF PROBLEMS WITH THESE AIR SUSPENSION, I, MYSELF ALSO OWN AN 04' NAVIGATOR AND HAS BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE FRONT OSUSPENSION OF NOT BEING ABLE TO AIR UP, BROUGHT TO THE DEALER HAD IT DIAGNOSED, THEY'VE TOLD ME THAT I HAVE AN AIRBAG LEAKAGE, I HAD BOTH OF THE FRONT BAGS CHANGED OUT FOR ABOUT $1,000 AND THAT'S JUST PARTS ONLY, STILL DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEMS, CALLED THE DEALER AGAIN AND THEY TOLD TO BRING THE TRUCK IN FOR THEM TO RE-CALIBRATE THE SYSTEM, AND AT THIS POINT I'M VERY SKEPTICAL IF THEY'RE GONNA GIVE ME THAT BAD DIAGNOST AGAIN. WELL MY PROBLEM IS STILL THERE BUT IF ANY ONE CAN OFFER ME SOME SORT OF HELPS I'LL BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU SO MUCH
    Quick follow up... I was able to find that the relay under the dash by the control module is the same relay that is used for the compressor.... I switched them and the compressor kicked in and the back end lifted back up.... Now I have to talk to the dealer about them BS'ing me about needing a new compressor and them replacing the relay that is obvious that they didn't... This is gonna be funn...
    Welcome to the forum, Dinh2. Lower case posts are easier on the eyes - people tend to ignore posts written in ALL CAPS since they are hard to read.
    i have a 2000 navi also and it did this to me about a year ago. if you check back in my logs you could find my post describing my symptoms which are quite similar to yours. I changed the compressor and it fixed the problem.. when the compressor fails the check engine light does not turn on. i think this is because the suspension never leveled and then failed. you said it happened when it was parked. try hard wiring the relay located below the compressor as others in the form describe, if the compressor doesnt turn on then you found yur problem. if it does turn you have a bad or dirty relay. good luck. let me know how it works.
    could you give a little more detail as to what exactly fixed your suspension. you said it was a shock and shock mount replacement that fixed it. this vehicles is 4x4? when you say shock do you mean a front air spring ? why does your shock have an o ring kit. confussed but very curious. i am having problems wiht my suspension on my 00 2wd.

thanx
  • billtigardbilltigard Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys, I recently took my 2004 Navigator to the local Ford dealership. I had them check out the vehicle because it "looks" to me like the front end, not the back end is settling too low when you turn the car off. When you turn the car off you can hear the compressor decompressing, and the car settles down. I am the original owner, and have always been aware of this. But it just seems like the wheel well is really close to the front tires, again only in the front. I noticed most of you are having this issue with the back end. Anyway after a $96 service charge I was told there was nothing wrong, actually to my surprise. My car has 65K miles on it. Any comments? It seems like some folks are getting the run around at the dealerships. I am assuming since my car is 5 years old this fall and with that many miles that I am out of warranty. Thank you for your response.
  • paras7paras7 Member Posts: 2
    Need help, can anybody tell me where the compressor relay is located on a 2004 Navigator?
    Going to re-post this because people are asking.... Thank you MattyMo..

For those of you with a low-rider Navigator that is low in the back the first thing to check is the relay as it is a $115 dollar part you can pick up and change yourself. Also, you can test to see if the relay is the problem by bypassing it. How? Follow these steps.. (this is straight from the Ford/Lincoln Service CD)

1) Locate Suspension Relay (behind passenger headlight - next to the horn - small amp looking like box - access from the ground, underneath the car - with a 4 post plug going into it).
    2) Pull the 4-post plug
    3) The manual says to connect a bypass wire "10 guage with 50A fuse" (I used about a 4" long - 14 guage wire - no fuse) from post A to post B (the left two posts when looking at the plug and the tab is on top)
    4) If the relay is the problem you will immediately hear the compressor start to air-up your shocks - just don't leave the wire there for more than 30-40 seconds as it will get hot and you risk burning out your compressor.
    5) Once your shocks are aired up and the back end is not longer a low rider then you should be able to drive around for a few days before leaks in the system let the air out - enough time to get to the dealer and get a new air compressor relay.

If this does not solve the problem then you likely have a bad air compressor.
  • own98navigatorown98navigator Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, this board really helped me a lot recently, so I thought it was worth sharing some information that will hopefully help others. On Thanksgiving Eve, all of a sudden, my 1998 Navigator started riding in a really bumpy way. When I got home, I noticed the back looked like a lowrider. I took it to the dealer, which wanted to replace my compressor and a relay switch for 1250 bucks. After doing quite a bit of research, I ended up taking my car to a local mechanic instead and going with the deluxe strutmasters 4WD conversion. I was definitely nervous to see how the car would ride post-conversion, but I'm pleased to say that I've put about 125 miles on it over the last few days and notice absolutely no difference in the ride pre-conversion (when it was working properly) and post-conversion. I'm really pleased! The conversion - deluxe kit - with labor cost 1300 with tax (797 for the kit + the rest in labor), which is roughly what it would have cost me to replace the compressor and relay switch if the dealer had done that. From everything I read, once you start tinkering with patching up the air suspension parts, it becomes a real money pit. I'm hopeful that by going with the conversion, there will be no more expenses when it comes to suspension. Anyway, I'm really pleased with the conversion and recommend it to anyone who wants to get more years out of their Navigator or Expedition if they're experiencing problems with the air suspension system.
  • dmrpdmrp Member Posts: 3
    I agree that this is a fantastic site. It is too bad that all owners have had big problems and hit with high expenses. I am still siting in a motel room in Minot, North Dakota, waiting for parts. My post was #172, December 10, 2009. After reading all posts I determined it would be better to follow post 136, May 16, 2009. One thing you should not do is post your phone number. I have been getting lots of scam phone calls but I was desperate. I am following the advice of doing a full coilover front and back. Unless you have had a problem you can not imagine how difficult and nerve
    wrecking driving and out of the blue hitting the ceiling for miles and then to be towed and unable to solve the problem at the Lincoln or Ford dealers. At this point all I can say is save yourself a lot of headaches and money and do the conversion.
    I have been getting lots of scam phone calls but I was desperate.

Maybe you missed my email but your earlier post was removed because we don't support the posting of individual phone numbers in the forum.

Hope you get back on the road soon!
    Thank you for your post.i am still in North Dakota waiting on parts to have the conversion done on my 2004 Navigator.
    They think the parts should be in Wednesday or Thursday and do the repair on Friday and then I will be able to return
    home (Las Vegas) This has been such a trial. I am hoping I will be like you and Never have to worry again. It is a long
    return trip so I will definitely know that I have solved the problem. Thanks for your input.
  • tully1tully1 Member Posts: 1
    How did you coil/shock conversion turn our?

I did this last week. It is the best thing I have ever done. The truck handles so well.

Tully
    I just got home Friday at 6pm after a two day drive with one overnight stop and the SUV performed like new. Forget about Lincoln and Ford dealers telling you that they do not know what the problem is!!!! It is the dynamic air suspension system. My ride was as smooth as when I bought it.I plan to go back in cold weather and especially to go skiing with it. I would be still battling the problem if it were not for this site and the helpful information from all the posts.
  • artherlewisartherlewis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 lincoln navigator and the problem is that my right side is not rising properly. I took it to the mechanic and he showed me that the height adjustment control arm was popping off. When he put it back on it was fine. The problem is it keeps coming off. How do I stop that and what is the correct name of the Part.
  • john19999john19999 Member Posts: 3
    I have lincoln navigator 2000 4WD. Soon will need some air suspension repair.Is there any service or repair manual or CD available for Lincoln Navigator. How can I get it. I will highly appreciate informaiont

Thanks
    John
  • john19999john19999 Member Posts: 3
    I feel same problem for navigator 2000. It seems that right hand side seems a little low. What is Height Adjustment Control Arm. Where is it locateed. Can you please give some details.

Thanks
    John
  • jab7933jab7933 Member Posts: 1
    Recently we replaced all the o-rings in the front and everything was working great. I was driving and felt all the air release from my suspension. Relays and fuses checked good. I am getting air to all four air bag selenoids but not letting air into the bags. What other controls are there?
  • navigatorfranknavigatorfrank Member Posts: 1
    All...
    Ok, so I too have suspension issues that will cost me nearly $5K at the local dealership to repair (including $1K in labor costs). I'm getting a seriously bad/bumpy ride on an intermittant basis, the problem seems to be in the front. The Service Manager informs me that I need to replace both air bags, the air compressor, and the computer module before the problem will go away. As I don't have that kind of cash, what can we do short of a wholesale replacement to get my baby riding smoothly again? Is the relay the real fix here?

Third Trip To Dealer
    NavFrank
    Hey NavFrank,

The relay would be the first thing I would check. Follow the instructions below to check it.... If this does not work and you can not or do not for that matter spend the ridiculous amount of money that the dealer like to rip you off for, you can always swap out the entire suspension for spring and shock... Check Strutmasters.com or Suncoreindustries.com.... Good luck and let us all know what you end up doing...

Going to re-post this because people are asking.... Thank you MattyMo..

For those of you with a low-rider Navigator that is low in the back the first thing to check is the relay as it is a $115 dollar part you can pick up and change yourself. Also, you can test to see if the relay is the problem by bypassing it. How? Follow these steps.. (this is straight from the Ford/Lincoln Service CD)

1) Locate Suspension Relay (behind passenger headlight - next to the horn - small amp looking like box - access from the ground, underneath the car - with a 4 post plug going into it).
    2) Pull the 4-post plug
    3) The manual says to connect a bypass wire "10 guage with 50A fuse" (I used about a 4" long - 14 guage wire - no fuse) from post A to post B (the left two posts when looking at the plug and the tab is on top)
    4) If the relay is the problem you will immediately hear the compressor start to air-up your shocks - just don't leave the wire there for more than 30-40 seconds as it will get hot and you risk burning out your compressor.
    5) Once your shocks are aired up and the back end is not longer a low rider then you should be able to drive around for a few days before leaks in the system let the air out - enough time to get to the dealer and get a new air compressor relay.

If this does not solve the problem then you likely have a bad air compressor.
  • talcecomtalcecom Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Navigator is sitting with the rear end down, The compressor was not working. I have a shop check it and they said the compressor was bad. I just replaced the compressor myself today and it still would not come on. I removed the suspension control relay and placed a jumper in the plug pins 1 and 2 and the pump started, but the rear does not seem to come up. I do not have the check suspension light on. I can not hear any leaks and I removed one of the air lines on the drier and the pump is putting out air, but the rear end is not going up. Any idea on why nothing is going in the rear bags? Could it be the Air Suspension Control Module (which looks hard to get at) and is there any way to check it. All four of the fuses that I see to do with the air suspension have been checked. I am new to the fourm and have gotten a lot of help by reading it but I need some more help. Any more ideas anyone. Thanks, Bob.
  • bublheadbublhead Member Posts: 1
    I guess I'm blind because I canot seem to locate the relay on my 2004. Please help!
    Hey bublhead,

You have to access the relay from the ground.. From the passenger side, Laying on the ground looking up, it should be located attached to the frame by the bumper.

This is where it is located on my 98 Navi and after trying to find answers in a lot of different places, it looks like they have not moved it from there.. Good luck...
  • gatoranglergatorangler Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 'gator is lowriding. I have tesed the relay as described earlier in your discussion by connecting the A and B prongs. As soon as i did this the compresser came on but didnt seem to raise the truck at all. I purchased and installed a new relay today and it didnt make any difference. Would this indicate that the computer is bad and needs replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Reference my message # 192.
    I got it fixed and found out I was thinking in the box and I don’t know everything. I was looking for other problems with the control module, which were not there, because I did not understand how it works. I have worked in electronics for over 45 years and know how a relay works. I could not understand why the car would not rise up with the service switch ON, the doors closed and the car running, with the relay jumper in pin A & B and the compressor running. I found out the compressor relay is a dealer only part and paid the local dealer $140 for one. When replaced, everything worked fine. Somehow the relay is sensed by the control module, which is needed to open the entire fill and gate solenoids. It is not used just as an electrical relay to switch the Hi current for the compressor; it does more, how I don’t know. If the compressor works when you jump the relay, replace the relay and go from there, do not look for other problems like I did until you change the relay. If it does not work after you replace the relay, remember the service switch, check the 3 inside fuses, close all doors and start the car, before looking to replace the control module. :) Bob.
  • blitzurblitzur Member Posts: 2
    Humm Bob, I hope you are onto something! I jumped the wires, and my compressor kicked on (I was so happy!) - but like your experience, the rear of the vehicle never raised. I even started the SUV, put it in drive, activated 4 low - all of which are supposed to kick on the air ride, but with no luck - the rear never raised with the compressor running.

I was thinking it was maybe the ride height sensors in the rear. But can't find them. My theory was they were being read at being at the correct level already, so the solenoids didn't kick on to let air in. Any idea where the ride height sensors are?

So, I guess I should buy myself a relay and try that? Now off to search for the part number!
  • blitzurblitzur Member Posts: 2
    Back to your original post, #192. A relay is relay right? The ABS relay is the same one according to the manual. So I think I will try that before plunking down $140. Thoughts?
  • gatoranglergatorangler Member Posts: 2
    Finally got the gator workin. Aparently the previous owner had replaced the plug for the relay had just taped the splice with electrical tape. Tape didnt hold up too well when we got down to -10 and the ice and salt had formed around the splice. A new relay isnt going to do any good if the wires to it are bad, just another thing to check if having electrical prob.
  • captchip1captchip1 Member Posts: 1
    We found a leak in one of the air bags, so we replaced both struts and air bags with an after market strut & airbag assembly. The fuse below the glove box is ok, the pump runs when the relay is by-passed. We replaced the relay with anew one, just to elimenate any issues.

We did not replace the dryer on the airpump. However in the process of removing the struts the platic hose connectors broke, so we replaced this assembly.

In effect we have replaced everything but the dryer and the pump at this point. The front of car is now droped on both sides. Is there a recalibration needed to get the system running again? the Air suspension system waring light is on at the dash board. The system shut off swithc at the rear is back on...could this be faulty?

I guess the real question is... do we need to take the car to the dealer to recalibrate the suspension system?
  • navi2navi2 Member Posts: 1
    On my 03 model, the relay is accessable from the TOP, not the bottom of the vehicle. Behind the headlight, mounted with the same bolt that mounts the compressor. No need to remove anything but the cover. Its simply right on top, just pull the little cover off the box gently bending the tab back.
  • f719f719 Member Posts: 1
    About 2 months ago I went out to find my 2000 Navi lowriding...after reading on this forum I tested the compressor and discovered my compressor would work when by passed with the test. Hence, I purchased a relay and was able to get it working again. Reset and got the suspension light off and no problems. Now this past week I was driving to the store and noticed I was not getting a smooth ride and bouncing...at the store I discovered my back has dropped again. No lights or warnings. At home I tested the system again and the compressor will work when bypassed, could this be the relay again? My replacement relay was used and from a 97 Expedition.
    I have been told that both the compressor and relay should be changed at the same time. Both can cause the other to burn out, due to the high current the compressor draws. After changing both my car has been good. :) Bob.
  • juan_412juan_412 Member Posts: 5
    hey bob my 2004 navi takes a very long time now to raise the compressor works and the truck does lift for a while, but when im driving around then i hear the compressor running like almost every 2 minutes. when i stopp the front right of the truck just drops and the compressor starts again. What could it be is it a leak to replace the seals or do i have to replace the whole air bag? plz help thank u :) juan
  • juan_412juan_412 Member Posts: 5
    hey where is that arm located im having the same problem with my navi. and when its off do u har a leak or is that the seal?? plz help thank u
  • louiefriaslouiefrias Member Posts: 2
    Do not PURCHASE Lincoln Navigator replacement suspension products from STRUTMASTERS UNLESS you want your once nice kick [non-permissible content removed] looking ride to look like a four wheel drive Hummer!

No longer will your ride sit fat on 22’s and catch that look you paid for when buying the Navi…noooooo, now you get to look like a “ratard”.

I purchased the coil over struts to replace my failing air ride system, and NOWHERE on STRUTMASTERS website OR accompanying instructions is it mentioned that your ride will ride SOOOOO high. (Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps because if potential purchasers knew this, we would consider something else? Or make us sign a waiver that the ride height would be forever altered?)

When the vehicle was at the Lincoln dealer for service after installation of the STRUTMASTER product, the service manager approached me as I was paying my bill and asked if I wanted them to investigate why the vehicle height was so askew.

(What does THAT tell you.)

Anyway, the final answer from the company salesperson who sold them to me after months of asking for a refund or re-engineered product? He assured me that I was the ONLY person complaining as they had installed hundreds of systems on many navigators for numerous Lincoln dealers…and yet would not provide any contact information so I could inquire as to the satisfaction or measurements of such installs. “I wish you well.” I wish you well? That’s it?

Bottom line? Buy STRUTMASTER products AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you want to see before and afters, drop me an email. louiefrias@cox.net
  • ramairta1ramairta1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Navigator with a bit different issue.
    My passenger front side is on the stop all the way down.
    I just replaced the air compressor. When the car is put in drive the compressor kicks on for about 3 to 4 seconds then shuts off. After cycling the car on and off and putting it into drive with my foot on the brake, (after I did this about 5 times) the compressor kicked on and ran for about 30 seconds. It DID NOT fill my passenger front side, but OVERFILLED the drivers rear until the bag was at maximum capacity.
    I disconnected the relay and jumped it with a 10 gauge wire and let it run for 20 seconds or so. Nothing on the passenger side filled. I could hear any air trying to get in just push by as if the solenoid is stuck closed. I reset the rear switch but to no avail.
    Now I have the passenger side front down all the way and the drivers rear up all the way.
    THIS is CRAZY. No idea what to do now..
    Any ideas or suggestions??
    thanks
    :mad:
  • ramairta1ramairta1 Member Posts: 2
    Follow up:
    I put the Nav in to 4wheel Low and dropped it in drive with my foot on the brake. Sure enough, the compressor kicked on as expected but did not fill or inflate the pass. front air bag at all.
    It ran for about 30 seconds and shut off. The drivers rear is still filled to the max. The drivers front, and passenger rears look normal.
    How can I let some air out of the drivers rear that is now about 9 inches above the tire!
    this is nuts....
  • bravodollarsbravodollars Member Posts: 1
    Well, i have a 99 Navi and after the snowy blizzard the rear stayed down. I'm tryin 2 find out if this has a leveling valve.