Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

WHY DO YOU MODIFY CARS

1000rwhp1000rwhp Member Posts: 1
If you have ever modified a car or even wanted to what was your reasoning for. Did you do it for performance, looks, because your friends did it, or was it something else. If your wondering why im asking its for a research paper.

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have modified my cars, usually for performance. I amature road race so that's a big reason why I've modified my cars. Usually suspension and brakes first, and then power later on. If your car can't handle and stop, no point in adding power.

-mike
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I have modified cars in the past because in most cases it improves gas mileage while increasing performance with most chips or programmers. ;)

I guess most garage tuners look at the cost vs benefit. I guess if the benefits out weighs the costs then it's worth doing it. Two other very common tuning uses is Truck buyers down here in Texas buy a aftermarket exhaust system to get the noise while giving them a bit more power. I also see most of my buddy's get a K&N air filter or like product. Well 3/4 ton diesel truck owners which their are many down here in the Texas Panhandle either opt for the Edge Juice system or Banks Six-Gun system for their diesels.

I hope my $0.02 helps. ;)

Rocky
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    For me it's like rockylee's cost vs benefit idea. Your name, 1000rwhp, is a good example of that :D
  • jimithin7000jimithin7000 Member Posts: 2
    The basic concept of tuning is that you buy a cheap imported car ie: Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru invest maybe 20-30 for the car spen maybe investing 1000 dollars in the motor and another 2000 in suspension and brakes. Pulling away from a "Sports Car" is the best feeling. Its kind of about self expression too for example I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra SPEC-V. I have done some basics such as CAI and a header and then debagded the entire thing. I usually get asked what kind of car is that why are the lights yellow? I can say thats the way I like it and I did it myself it is the concept of taking something mass produced and making it your own.
  • xaetaxaeta Member Posts: 8
    There are many reasons why anyone would do it.
    Personally, I like to take an older already used car and add to it to rebuild it. Though slow, the process of remodifying to car to make it both look and run better will make you look back at your car and feel accomplished saying "I did that."
    Thus to me it's rather a hobby.
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    Look at this car, it is just sexy. When I look at this car its just sexy.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSimageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.compace.com
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com">
  • maudit87maudit87 Member Posts: 20
    Although not having actually owned a car yet (although I plan to soon) there a several reasons I want to.

I love taking stuff and making it my own; my comp is covered in sharpie ink and sticker, and my desk has stuff etched into it. I love creation, taking something or nothing and making a creation I dreamt up a reality. Like people above me said, you can look at it and be proud of it and get a feeling that you accomplished something. Besides, cars are art (in all aspects; the engine, outer aperance, and the interior.) , and whats better then adding your own personal touch.
  • eyyopeyyop Member Posts: 1
    Take a look at the Mazda RX-8 vs the Mazdaspeed RX-8

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have just about every OE accessory in the book. Though mine is more customized, as the engine was kept stock.

Why? Add utility. Why not? It can do more tasks. :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Guess I did post here a while back..... ;)

Rocky
  • applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    I modify usually for performance . Usually suspension and brakes first, and then power later on. If your car can't handle and stop, no point in adding power.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Same here. Brakes, Tires, Suspension first. Then power later on. If you can carry speed through turns you need to slow down less and therefore will be overall faster w/o extra power.

-mike
  • andysautosportandysautosport Member Posts: 11
    Although I agree that car engineers have put a lot of time and thought into the design of the vehicle, but I like to make things better.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Modifying a car is like burning money. As far as an investment is concerned, it is about as dumb as it gets.

BUT, they never stopped me - lol

I go for power....I generally prefer the "go fast" over the "looks fast" mods. For me it is about making something mine and I enjoy the engineering aspects of it. I approached my current modded car with a plan. I think a lot of people just throw things at a car w/o thinking or because they heard something works.
This discussion has been closed.