Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rondo Real World MPG

1235»

Comments

• 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    exactly, the distance it takes for the fuel gauge to start dropping varies a lot, even under the same driving condition.

i will try to fillup at the same gas station, same pump to see if this problem will go away.
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Don't complain about 19 in town.My 4 cyl Optima gets less than 15 city.
    Be impressed my friend.My 4 cyl Optima barely gets 15 MPG in the city,Another story on the highway,consistently over 30 and a high of 40.7.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    My wife's now gets 25MPG everyday driving, which is about what it was getting on straight interstate when it was newer. I think she was over 15K when it started to get better as well.

Sad that it only 1.5MPG better than other vehicle. I too traded from an Aurora V-8 to a Malibu I-4 AT6. Not yet happy with the MPG difference when the overall quality of ride is considered. I'd be much happier if gas was still $4.50/gallon.
    You might look at it from that view, ie, driving the same distance with both vehicles, assuming same size tank, you would currently be saving about 1 gallon per fill. That would now be only $2.50, but at old price $4.50, and if gas goes to that $6 that Dems were talking as a mark (adding tax to discourage consumption) we both will be happier with our vehicles.
  • garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    It's both curious and also validating that many Rondo owners have had similar experiences to my own. At 26, 000, my Rondo ('07 LX I-4) has settled into its "calling," with mpg consistently ranging between 21 and 31 mpg, averaging right around 26. It got better after 15,000 miles, and still does a lot of inexplainable swinging between the 21 and 31 marks. I don't see the odd 15 mpg or the odd 40 mpg.
    i have been going to the same gas station, same pump for the last few fillups, the FE swinging problem no longer exists.

also, i don't top up anymore, i estimate how much gas i can pump and slow down the pump at the last 10 percent and stop pumping at the first click.

09 Rondo I4 - first 10 tanks UPDATED

After reading some of the older posts, i discovered and bought a gadget called "Scanguage", once calibrated, it is able to provide me with much more meaningful FE rating instantly, per trip, day and tank.

and i also found out why i was getting NOT so impressive FE, it is because my wife's new work location is only 2.5 miles from home, she drives it there and leaves it there all day, then drives home, and short trip really kills FE.
    according to Scanguage, her per (work) day FE is around 16mpg.

luckily, we use the car for longer trips on the weekends, and as long as we drive a minimum of 5 miles, per trip FE will improve to 20mpg or better.
    i was able to achieve 26mpg once going home from UBC after an evening concert, 10 miles with minimal traffic and stopped at only 5 red lights.

TANKs 11th to 18th: 100% city, gradually dropping from 19mpg(12.4LHK) to 18.6mpg(12.6LHK) due to the temperature drop (near freezing).

TANKs 19th and 20th: 80% city, couple ski trips brought the tank FE up to 21.4mpg(11LHK).

i'm planning to switch to full synthetic the next time i change oil, hope to see some better FE in the next update.

• rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Took a round trip between Brockville, ON and Columbus, OH averaging 70-75mph on the highway. Only drove about 70 miles in the city, so got 27mpg (U.S. gallons) for this 1200 mile round trip. That was for a 4 cyl 2009 vehicle with about 27,000 miles on the odometer, so pretty much in keeping with the EPA estimate.

A decent little vehicle on the hwy actually, didn't upshift went climbing the hills between Cleveland and Columbus.
  • myrondolemonmyrondolemon Member Posts: 4
    There has been a new torque spec for the front struts. Once the adjusment was made, there was a slight improvement in gas mileage. Before the retorque, the car steered to either side. After the adjustment, it still wandered but not as bad. Consequently the mileage improved from 16 to 17 mpg
  • myrondolemonmyrondolemon Member Posts: 4
    I looked further on this website at their TSB's. Then I compared them to the TSB's I was given at the frame shop. The TSB's here are very minimal + inadequate. There are different levels or sets of TSB's that can be viewed. I got one from an authorized Hunter Alignment shop, which gave me the updated strut torque specs and the fix for ride height deficiencies.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Last week, we replaced our crash-damaged 07 Rondo with a 2011 just like it (an EX V6 Luxury). Yesterday, I went on a 700km roadtrip (350 each way), now the Rondo has 1007 kms on the odometer (600 miles).
    I was by myself so I decided to see how well this new Rondo (which is not broken in yet due to the low mileage) could do regarding fuel economy. Overall, the trip computer gave an average of 8.1 litres per 100km, or 35 miles to the Canadian gallon, or 29 miles to the US gallon. At one point, over a long flat stretch (a couple miles or so) the trip computer recorded 7.7 litres per 100km, or 36.7 miles to the Canadian gallon, or 30.5 miles to the US gallon.
    This correlates with my own calculation, since the car used 29 litres of fuel over the last 350 kms (I had filled up again after the 1st 350 kms).
    My speeds were relatively low compared to my usual driving. Since I was still breaking in the engine, I did not keep a constant speed, so it varied between 90-110 kmh/hr (55-68 mph), according to the speed limits at the time.
    A Rondo is like a little station wagon,no? I think that is excellent for a V6.
    I hope this continues for you.
    many new Hyundai/Kia models are mated with the new 6 speed tranny, when Rondo gets this new tranny, i'm sure it will become the best FE in its class (7 passenger wagon).

my cousin's new Santa Fe has the same FE as my Rondo, but his 3.5-V6 got 100 more horses than my 2.4-I4.

• bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Update to my MPG post of April 20/11. Today (April 8/12), with 15,500kms on our V6 Rondo now, I made a 350km trip. With one passenger (I usually have 3 besides myself), a load of luggage, and running on studded winter tires, I decided to see what fuel economy a V6 Rondo could achieve. At a steady 100km/h cruise (62mph), I was getting 7.5 litres/100km, or 37.5 miles to the Canadian gallon. At 110km/h, I was getting 7.7 litres/100km, or 36.7 miles to the Canadian gallon. Since the last 50 or so km of my trip involved a lot of hills, the final fuel economy overall was 8.0 litres/100km, or 35.3 miles to the Canadian gallon. I am quite pleased with the results. And I should imagine that with all-season tires and just myself, I can probably break 7.2 or even 7.1 litres/100km (40 miles to the Canadian gallon).
    not bad for V6,
    the best highway mileage i can get is 7.5 LHK (31 mpg) on my 09 Rondo 2.4L