Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Moon Roof Problems? Any Experience

2»

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    " What's involved in the install? Is it clamped in place or are tap holes drilled into roof? "
    No deflector drills the roof. The cheapest ones use 3M adhesive tape to stick on the roof, and can't be removed and replaced. The good aftermarket deflectors, like the Benevento that I installed on my Scion xB, use clips. The OEM deflector that I installed on my 08 Forester also used clips. The clips are thin metal strips that reach down in the seal crack and hook under the lip of the roof in there. The exposed part of the clips have holes that take bolts that pull the deflector down tight onto the roof.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... I ordered the air deflector, thinking it would make less noise with it. Now I wonder if the mileage will be affected. I have read of people getting more than the 20-26 mph listed on the sticker. I do not want to jeopardize the great mileage that the Forester is capable of giving us. Does anyone have experience with the air deflector and decreased mileage?"

My Forester OEM deflector is 3" x 36" or 3/4 of a square foot:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/SubaruDeflector.- jpg

The drag from that is bound to reduce mileage at high speeds over long distances. However, I have found it makes no difference in my suburban and rural driving, as my last tank was 28.5 mpg:
    http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.com/Forester/For_MPG.htm

Whatever the mileage penalty at high speed, it cannot be much, and it makes the moonroof usable day in and day out at moderate speeds, so the price is well worth it. If you are going to take a fast long distance trip, and are concerned about a little loss in mileage, you can remove the deflector in a few minutes.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It is pretty massive, wow!
  • clerk055clerk055 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    i owned a 2001 montero sport es model with 150,000 miles. now the sun/moon roof will not close all the way and it will not slide open. it will not close all the way. the driver's side has a one inch gap when the button is pressed to close. does anyone have any suggestions besides going to the dealer???
This discussion has been closed.