Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid

Comments

• langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    mine has been fine. I have used both nokia and sony ericssons on the system and they are perfectly fine. my windows are usually always up though.

maybe your mic is defective? well, I hope you get it fixed
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I hope that is the case (defective mike) I have even left messages on my answering maching than retreived them & they sound terrible. Most people simply cannot understand me at all. Although I drive in warmer weather with windows open and roof open, would shut them when making calls.

Must tell you, have never had a moon roof wind deflector. Boy, that was well worth the money! After a few minutes you can forget the roof is even open.
  • nmacmill01nmacmill01 Member Posts: 16
    My coolant low temp light, (Blue), stays on for a few minutes after the car starts... engine running... Normal? :confuse:
  • emgremgr Member Posts: 109
    Very Normal. You noticed that you don't have a regular temperature gage. On the NAH, that was replaced with the battery State of Charge meter. Blue indicates that the engine is cold. That is your new temperature gage. You will notice that when you start the car and all the idiot lights come on briefly that both a blue and a red temperature gage are shown. You don't want to see red as that means the engine is over heating.

Got it? Enjoy the car and quiet worrying.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with hybrid owners who have had to replace the hybrid's battery. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks - Not sure why Nissan wants to remind me that the engine is cold.... I already know that... Every morning... It's cold... and the car is cold.... ;)
    haha, probably just to remind you to not be too hard on the car until it turns off
    It's no different than your old gage pointing to cold when you start up.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Greetings all -- I have noticed that there aren't a lot of 2008 Altima Hybrids left on the lots and I am getting ready to take the plunge. Does anybody have any ideas about when the '09s will be making their appearance? Any changes on the 09s? Will there even BE '09s? (I don't know how close Nissa is to running out their licensing agreement with Toyota.)

Trying to decide whether to act now or to wait another month or two and any thoughts would be much appreciaetd.

JSY
    Nissan usually starts the new year production after the 4th of July. However, Hybrids have their own schedule and may not produce the 09's right away. I am a good case in point. Last year, I ordered a NAH with tech. It was not produced until October and delivered shortly after Thanksgiving.

That was a real timetable. The tech may have had a delayand they may produce some hybrids before then. Your dealer will not know. I guarantee it even if they ask Nissan directly.
  • malttese33malttese33 Member Posts: 9
    All, I was wondering if it is normal for the bottom of the car to rust after owning the car for only 5 months? I noticed it when I was washing my car for the very first time a couple of weeks back and when I really got down and looked up on the underside of the car I noticed a couple of areas where rust has developed. Should I take it in to an auto shop and have the rust removed?
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I own a '06 Acura TL with 20 K miles on it. I got it at the end of the season for $28,300. I bought it for it's peppy engine and the Acura reliability. My original thought was to keep it "forever."

Now that gas has hit $4.00/gallon, I'm wondering whether it pays to sell the Acura and buy a hybrid. I'm especially concerned because I drive about 50 miles a day and now hear that in a year or so gas could be $8/gallon.

Looking for some feedback.
    All I can say is that every time the price of gas goes up, the price return on a Hybrid is quicker. It's is like going to Vegas. You place your bet and see how the wheel lands. I bought my O8' last fall and tickled with it. I also loved the Acura and have driven several long distances. Probably my favorite car for ride and performance, but I would place the NAH second in a snap. It's what I can afford to drive.

Judging the way you wrote your question, your having to make the same decision.
    depends on what area. if it's the exhaust system, it's normal to get some rust. if it's the body, you should go back to the dealer
  • ryanwaderyanwade Member Posts: 1
    I AM IN THE MARKET, AND REALLY LOVE THE NEW ALTIMA HYBRIDS. I WISH TO BUY ONE, BUT THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP DOESN'T RECOMMEND ME BUY ONE-B/C THEY DO NOT SERVICE THEM. I AM ALMOST 500 MILES AWAY FROM A DEALER THAT CAN SERVICE THEM.

WHAT MAINTENANCE (THAT I COULDN'T GET FROM SOMEONE ELSE) IS REQUIRED OF A NEW ALTIMA HYBRID? IM AFRAID IM GOIING TO BE STUCK WITH A CAR, THAT I CANT HAVE SERVICED!
  • jerzyboyjerzyboy Member Posts: 1
    Karol, I also live in the NY/NJ area. I am currently negotiating prices for an NAH with tech pack. What deal did you get and in what dealer? Also, do you find the navigation system worth it? I was thinking of getting a regular GPS like a TomTom or Garmin instead, I'm not sure if the other functions of the navigator are really that useful. What do you think is best and worst within the Tech Pack?
    Thanks for your feedback!
    it's not really the maintenance that is the problem, anyone can do that. it's just in case you have any problems with the car, that's when it will be tough.

so you've checked every dealer in the area?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I AM IN THE MARKET, AND REALLY LOVE THE NEW ALTIMA HYBRIDS. I WISH TO BUY ONE, BUT THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP DOESN'T RECOMMEND ME BUY ONE-B/C THEY DO NOT SERVICE THEM."

That is odd. Most car manufacturers won't allow a dealer to sell a car unless they can service the vehicle. Are you sure they can sell you a hybrid model? Perhaps they just blowing smoke in your face, trying to get you to buy the normal version?

You might consider the Toyota Camry Hybrid (for a similar size), or one of the other hybrids from Honda or Ford.
    The dealer in a state that can't order the hybrid directly, can trade with a dealer in another state who can. He can then sell you it, but he probably doesn't have a Nissan Hybrid Certified Mechanic.

I live in PA but bought mine at a dealer in New York 45 minutes away. Not really a bad drive.
    When changing the air flow from top vents to floor, or vice versa, the fan cycles down, then back up. Normal?

I also have a slightly chemical smell when using the AC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I never notice the fan cycling down, it could.

Is it a different smell than any other car you've been in? Mostly this is due to moisture in your vents and you get to smell the funkiness as the water evaporates
  • researchqueenresearchqueen Member Posts: 41
    We've got lots of them in L.A. Just leased mine from Universal City Nissan -- largest Nissan dealer in the world. Plenty to choose from and a nice drive back, to boot. Ask for the Internet Manager. (Only way to go!)
  • toomanycars1toomanycars1 Member Posts: 4
    i had the same issue, it was driving me crazy for days...took everything out of my glovebox, door cubbies,nothing!..Then i took my sunglasses out of the holder on the ceiling...problem solved
  • lrspatricklrspatrick Member Posts: 5
    Two weeks into ownership of a NAH. Only issue thusfar is the dual zone HVAC.

The passenger side is basically two settings, hot or cold. If you set the temperature at 89 or 90 you get hot air, if you set the temperature at 60 - 88 you get cold air. On the passenger side if there is any difference in air temperature within the 60 to 88 range it cannot be more than a degree or two.

On the drivers side it is similar, but I would estimate the difference in air temperature within the 60 to 88 setting range is at most 5 to 8 degrees.

The above holds true whether in EV or ICE (or both modes). My method of measuring is the hand test. May not be the most scientific but in my wifes Avalon it can detect differences across the entire range of temperature settings

Anyone experience anything similar?

Anyone have any experience with the dealer addressing any component of the NAH HVAC? Part of me says if they try to fix it they will only screw something up!

So far everything else is good. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Absolutely worthless!!! I complained to the dealer & they replaced the "control unit" no improvement whatsoever. I do a lot of driving, particlularly in States like NY & CT where if caught yappin on the phone next to year will cost you big time.

The speakers on the system are great, as they use the radio ones, but outgoing voice is very garbled and almost impossible to understand what I am saying. Other people have tried it, I have called me home phone & left a message 1/2 on bluetooth and 1/2 without & retreived the message, and a world of difference.

Not sure where to go from here, the dealer made a comment to me these things are not "perfect" and should only be used in an emergency. For someone that drives 4000 miles per month and on the phone constantly, that is not a good answer.

Anyone else have any problems like I am having? I have found out that just because a phone is "bluetooth" it does not mean it is compatible in a Nissan. I guess every car manufacturer different, and word of warning to anyone out there getting a vehicle with bluetooth check with the manufacturer & be sure it will be compatible. With the Nissan blackberry's ok, but other's like Palm Pilot, etc. will not work. Believe me, I know this first hand.
  • grblazegrblaze Member Posts: 1
    Nissan sent me touch up paint QX3code for winter frost i dont belive its winter frost was bluesh white does any one know were to get good spray paint that maybe a better match
  • pooch505pooch505 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new 08 NAH. Everything is working excellent, except for 1.

My question is on the meter on the right that shows the charging level. It never has been above 3/4 high. It has never been below 1/4 low. Has anyone ever seen there's above 3/4? Have you ever seen your meter fully charged to the top? I can't get mine to go their. I have about 800 miles now. It's running great except for this 1 item. Maybe that is the way it should be. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks again. Been getting 34 to 38. Love It !! This is a great forum.
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    My 08' NAH works exactly the same way. Never had a single issue.
    Mine too. I wouldn't worry about what the meter says. If you are getting 34 - 38 mpg and your car will run in EV mode up to 40 mpg (with very gentle acceleration) up to 1 1.5 miles than everything is fine.
  • jfc31jfc31 Member Posts: 4
    Exactly the same as mine. Meter always between 1/2 and 3/4. I have 1100 miles now....got 34 MPG first tank, 40 MPG 2nd tank.....can't ask for anything more. Great experience so far.
  • new_2_hybridsnew_2_hybrids Member Posts: 1
    We've had this car for 1 month. A week ago my husband noticed that the car was making a very high idling noise when the car would change from gas/electric or vice versa. This only happened when the car was at a stop. I noticed this also and the car would sputter too. He took the car to the dealership and drove it with the service manager but of course it didn't make that noise. The manager said to keep an eye on the car and keep a log and if problems persist to come back. Well it happened a few times this weekend and today when my husband was driving it.
    He took the car to the dealership and it was idling so loud that everyone in the parking turned around. The mechanics and service manager were surprised to see this happening. Apparently this has never happend before. So we have a rental car so they can see what the problem is.

Anyone have any suggestions on what the root of the problem is?
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    This is similar to the behavior of my NAH last week. Revving too high -- occasionally revving up and down even when in gear (though it didn't move the car when it was doing that). And a shudder when the gas engine shut off.

The tech said that the idle speed was too high (1200 vs. 1000). No explanation for why it would have happened after 2 weeks of flawless driving.

In any case, after the adjustment (done twice as i mentioned on another thread) all is well and the car is smooth as can be. I hope yours turns out to be as simple a fix! good luck!
  • altimadriveraltimadriver Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if the iPhone works alright with the Altima's bluetooth?
    Be very careful! Just because the car has the bluetooth feature, do not assume that the feature will work with most phones. I am having a lot of problems with my blackberry, some are "approved" some are not. I also checked into the Palm Pilots, some will work some do not. I have already had the control unit replaced, the bluetooth feature can only be used when the car is motionless and perfectly quiet. The microphone picks up way too much background noise and/or my voice comes across very muffled. No one can understand what I am saying. I will have to bring the car back again; I don;t know what they will do to correct it all I know is that it is not very usable. The speakers work fine, no problem hearing voice when I am called, but the opposite is not true.
  • altimadriveraltimadriver Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the heads up.

Do you happen to know where to find out which phones are "approved"? The bluetooth is kind of an important factor living in Los Angeles with the new cell-phone law.
  • tomscot2tomscot2 Member Posts: 33
  • hivoltenginerdhivoltenginerd Member Posts: 1
    EXACTLY. That is the only time when I actually forgot and left the car on. It started to rain and I had to run out, jump in, start up, close the windows, forgot and left the car on.

I will NEVER put the windows down with the key. I will ALWAYS need to "button-up" the car by closing all the windows immediately and the button on the key ought to do this.
  • pego99pego99 Member Posts: 5
    Let's say my 12v battery is dead and the high voltage battery is not dead say fully charged. Does this mean that the car cannot "start". Or can it start on the high voltage battery? Perhaps the engine ignition needs the 12 volts etc. Can someone explain how this all works? Thanks.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Let's say my 12v battery is dead and the high voltage battery is not dead say fully charged. Does this mean that the car cannot "start". Or can it start on the high voltage battery? Perhaps the engine ignition needs the 12 volts etc. Can someone explain how this all works? Thanks. "

It should be in the owner's manual.

The 12v battery powers up the electronics so that the hybrid battery can spin the engine to start it.

Jump starting is simply a matter of connecting jumper cables to the terminals, just like a regular car. Some hybrids have jump terminals in the front, with the 12v battery itself somewhere in the back of the vehicles. Other cars (like my FEH) have the battery under the hood.
    I know where the jumper connection is under the hood from the manual but it is not clear what happens since the engine does not run when in park. So the car is in park and I connect the jumper cable and what? How do I know when I can disconnect the cables shift to drive and go?
  • researchqueenresearchqueen Member Posts: 41
    Be very careful when jumping your 12v battery. Two of the terminals are not in the usual places. My battery died before I could drive my new hybrid off the lot, and the techs showed me how to jump it. Definitely read your owners manual carefully, because it can cause a real problem if you don't.

If your car is new and the battery dies more than once, return it to the dealer... they replaced my battery, because it's a known issue that the 12v batteries tend to die if they sit for too long. Apparently, all the technology in the car is a drain on the 12v even when the car is off. As a result, the dealers' cars die pretty often and they have portable jumping units they carry around... I bought one on Amazon to carry in my trunk, just in case. But since they've replaced the 12v, it's been fine.
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    I'm not sure this is a bug or not. After I push the on/off button to shut of my NAH, then open my door to get out, I get the ding, ding chime like I left the lights on or something. The lights are NOT on, the vehicle is definitely OFF, so I'm not sure why I get it. Is the emergency brake required or something?

I've search the manual, but didn't find anything. Not a deal break, just annoying. Most everytime I open the door, I hear the ding ding and end up checking my lights and making sure my car is really off - they always are.

Thanks in advance.
    i just think that happens sometimes.
  • karolpl7karolpl7 Member Posts: 40
    Yes, it's annoying, it may serve as a reminder to take the keys with you. If you keep your keys inside the keyhole and take them out the beeping will stop (you took your keys, no need for alert then).

If I open the door and hear that chime I just press the door sensor (so the car thinks you closed the door) and presto, the noise stops! It will also lock your steering wheel btw, which is normal.

K
  • newgs300newgs300 Member Posts: 3
    It is annoying, and I think it happens when you shut it off and open the almost simultaneously. If you shut it off then wait a beat or two before opening the door it won't do it. It seems to need a second or two to recognize that it is shut off.
    My wife got 150K on her last 1998 Altima. Up until now I had Maxima's and got over 100K with each one. And I really like the new Altima Hybrid but worried about how much more complicated the hybrid system is. All the voltage converters and hybrid control systems and the fancy gearing and high power electric motors and motor-generators. Can this stuff really last like my past Nissans? At least the warranty is longer on the hybrid system and high voltage battery.
    expect 100,000 miles out of it, buy i'm banking on my car to go 125k easily. the electric motors and motor generators are really no-maintenance items. i would think about it this way...an electric motor is pretty much powered by magnets (relatively stress free) whereas an engine goes though millions of tiny explosions (pretty high stress). and these aren't cheap fan motors either, they are high quality motors. i think the motor is the least of your worries.

i would worry about the battery first (which has 100k warranty), and then the voltage converters second.

you also have to figure that no car company would warranty a car only to the point where they think things will fail (it would cost them too much if even 25% of their engines failed before the warranty period was over). powertrain warranties usually go to 5 yr/60,000 mile and most engines do double that easily (100% more). the NAH has a 8 yr/100,000 mile so you would figure it's designed for at least 25% more miles than it's warrantied for, 125,000 miles.

just my logic
    My Verizon LG Dare works perfectly with the Altima Hybrid.
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    I've had my charge level both above 3/4 and below 1/4. If you don't have any mountial passes around, it's doubtful you'll get the charge meter above 3/4. On a trip to Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago, we had a long windy downhill that I was able to just coast down. Lots of charging going on and the meter maxed out at the high side. We reached the bottom of the hill and had to stop at a light. When the light turned green, I was able to accelerate faster than normal while keeping it in EV mode. It was so nice, felt natural to get up and go without babying the gas pedal. Of course the meter dropped to 3/4ths range fairly quickly and it was back to normal.

As far ad the meter going below 1/4, that's easy. Just sit in line at a long drive-thru line with the AC running and after a while the battery will get to the bottom of the blue range and the gas engine will kick on to run the accessories and charge the battery.

These are obviously not normal conditions. Normal driving the meter is always between 1/4-3/4.
  • pooch505pooch505 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks ecr72,

Very interesting report. Much appreciated.