Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid

Comments

• happy_hybrid_1happy_hybrid_1 Member Posts: 41
    langjie - I noticed that you are on a forum over on hybridcars.com too, and that you ordered your NAH. Have you received it yet? I really want one in Sonoma Sunset with the Blond Leather Interior and the Technology Package. I checked the inventory of every dealer in every state that sells the car, and I couldn't find one matching this description. How do you go about ordering one? My dealer here in CA is giving me invoice pricing, and I have them looking for one for me, but I'm betting they aren't going to find the one I want. These cars with the Tech Package are so rare. I'm wondering if Nissan is limiting production or slowing it down to see how the one's that are on the lot are selling. Or if they possibly met their "quota" for the CAFE standards already, and they don't need to sell anymore.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    my car finally came in today, i'm going to pick it up tomorrow. The tech package cars are really rare, the sales manager told me yesterday that nissan cancelled the orders of altima's with tech packages because of a shortage of navi units. i know the dealer i'm dealing with also has a green NAH with tech package.

ordering a car would take 6-8 weeks assuming there isn't a shortage in navi units.

you can do your own search but i really doubt you will be able to find the exact car you want. but the target MSRP price you want is 32,365 or 32,625. so just look for that
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    Finally got a silver one from Stockton Nissan (drove
    80 miles to get there). Tech package + floor mats for
    300 over invoice.

Could get no deal or preferred color in the Bay area.

I am overall happy with the car but made the switch from
    an Acura TSX - obviously a different kind of car, more
    nimble and compact. Also interior was plusher. So some
    adjustments for me.

I could not find a way to display mpg, range etc in the
    Navi. Anybody know how to do this? The dashboard info
    toggles between mpg meter, mpg, temp, range etc. Isnt
    there a way to get all of these on single screen in the
    navi?
  • lightshybridlightshybrid Member Posts: 10
    Getting mine this week with tech also. Just wondering, did your phonebook sync with the bluetooth? Can you have two phones in the vehicle and both receive thru the car? I know only one at a time. Long time warming up?

Thanx
    Larry
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    I have only one phone and it did sync with the navi.
    Phonebook part I did not checek but I was able to
    send and receive calls by using the Navi touchpad.

It can sync up with multiple phones and store each
    ones settings in the memory. So 2 phones should work.
    Do not know what will happen if one is in use and a
    call comes to the other.

In Bay area temperatures are usually mild. So in the
    morning the EV mode comes on within 1-2 minutes of
    driving.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a large local newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers in California who purchased a hybrid vehicle this year. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 12, 2007 with your daytime contact info. and what car you purchased.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bogdanbogdan Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info, but my dealer finally came through and obtained one for me loaded with the Convenience Package. They had to go across the state line to NY to get it, but I took delivery on it this weekend with a final tally which came in about $500 under invoice.

It drives quite well and I’m getting about 35 MPG in mostly highway driving. Since the northeast has been hit with unusually cold weather recently (30s), in the morning it takes about 10 minutes to warm up enough to cruise in EV mode exclusively, but that’s not so bad.

The first day I drove to work I had the pleasure of getting stuck in a massive traffic jam for over an hour. I was running off battery most of that time, so much so that twice the engine had to kick in to recharge it, since it didn’t really have the opportunity to fully charge yet.

Overall, I’m pretty happy. Does anyone have any suggestions on breaking in the engine aside from the recommendations in the manual? In general, I’ve heard that you should try to avoid keeping a constant speed all the time, so I have yet to put it on cruise control. I also try to vary my speed as much as possible on a highway.
    Congrats on the car, i took delivery on mine this past saturday, I LOVE IT so far. I'm a bit under 35 MPG right now and warm up is exactly the same as you (i'm in Boston)

I would just say that you can drive the car pretty normally during break-in. i just wouldn't stomp on the gas. I've been up to 75 (albeit really slowly)
    Congrats to you as well, langjie. In terms of driving, I've hit 75 myself on occasion, albeit slowly as you said. I figure just keeping up with traffic offers enough variety for the engine to chew on.

Coincidentally I drove an Accord LX this evening, and setting aside the characteristics of the hybrid drive, the time spent in the Honda reinforced my decision to go Altima. The Accord is still a good car, but in almost every category not affected by the hybrid drive (exterior + interior design, legroom, seat comfort, stereo) the Altima seems just a bit better to me. The only area where the Accord seemed to have an edge is interior fit and finish.

I'm still amazed by the bias Car and Driver displays for Honda. Not only did they trash the Altima Hybrid in one article, but in a recent comparison test, they boldly declared the now aging Accord as better overall and more refined than the gas powered Altima. I've got nothing against Honda... as a matter of fact I own their minivan, but such journalistic bias is fairly disappointing.
    Thanks!!!!

but yeah, i completely agree with you about C&D's bias. 40% of the time, I come to work in an Accord (carpooling) and I feel the suspension is rougher then my altima's yet they always grill the nissan's on their "rough ride" whereas they always aplaud honda's "superior handling"

they so get paid by honda and BMW. moreso honda of course but during some of the G35 vs 335 comparo's...they say that the g35 is really really close to the 335's performance and just a bit off on fit and finish but the kicker is the G35 is 10,000 less then 335. I think that's a pretty big kicker and if I can get almost the same performance, and pretty nice luxury and pay 10,000 less...i'll save the cash everytime
    When I drove the Altima Hybrid back to back with the 2.5S, I actually had second thoughts about the Hybrid, since its stiffer 3.5S derived front suspension was definitely more “communicative” of road imperfections than I was used to. But after finally getting around to driving the Accord, I was amazed at the positively kidney-jarring jolts I was receiving over larger road imperfections. The Altima is much more composed by comparison, yet even the reviewers at CR, who clearly hate firm suspensions, call the Honda’s ride supple.

Also, I’m pretty tall (6’2”) and the amount of legroom combined with the generous width of the footwell make the Altima feel like a much larger car to me. I sat in the Accord and thought I was driving a Civic. I have no idea how legroom is measured, but despite obvious differences, invariably all cars within a certain class are within fractions of an inch of each other.

And as far as the 3 series vs. G35, I think it’s an unwritten rule of journalism that the Beemer is untouchable. I think BMW could put out a mule attached to a rickety cart and that combo would still outclass Infiniti’s best according to the likes of C&D. Edmunds came REALLY close to proclaiming the new G37 coupe better than the 335i, but wimped out at the end. For my part, $10K would be the only motivation I’d need. When all is said and done though, you have to give Nissan props for even trying to compete against BMW. No other Japanese manufacturer does that.

As an aside, have you actually seen another Altima Hybrid on the road? With sales around 400 for March, I’m not counting on seeing one soon, but I have yet to spot any other type of hybrid except the Prius. No trace of the Camry Hybrid either.
    i haven't seen another altima hybrid on the road, i have seen plenty of camry hybrids. you can tell by the tail like. There is more white in it

of course i am in the 3rd most hybrid registered state? (mass)
    Seriously, what are they thinking? Nissan is raising the price on the base model of the Altima Hybrid by $590 MSRP. Will that affect every trim level? Will that affect invoice pricing for the dealer?

The answer to the first question is most likely - yes; since every option package is priced out separately and then added to the base MSRP.

The answer to the second question is a little bit more difficult. We can hope that the $590 is only on MSRP, but maybe someone that is a dealer or works at a dealer can shed a little light on this for us.
    i know for a fact that nissan was losing money on each hybrid they sold...maybe they are trying to break even now...i'm not sure if invoice price is increased though
  • cpcacpca Member Posts: 20
    Been looking at a Hybrid with the Connection Package and didn't think to note the "old" (pre-increase) invoice prices from Edmunds. If anyone has those, I would be curious to see how much the invoice price changed (if any). This is what I've got:

Base Price - MSRP - Old=24440 / New=24990
    Base Price - Invoice - Old=_____ / New = 23442

Connection Pkg. - MSRP - Old=5250 / New=5250
    Connection Pkg. - Invoice - Old=_____ / New=4554

Floor Mats - MSRP - Old=100 / New=110
    Floor Mats - Invoice - Old=___ / New=84

Destination Charge - Old=615 / New=625
  • jimmy100jimmy100 Member Posts: 1
    I believe the old invoice was $22800 or so.

I just got mine today with Convenience Package for $24442 which is about $300-400 below invoice. Any comments on my price? I went to supposedly the biggest dealer in the US, which is the Los Angeles area. They gave me a competitive quote by email, which other dealers had a hard time matching over the phone or by email.

The negotiation didn't take that long including trading in my 13 year old SUV. The financing took forever.
    Base Price - MSRP - Old=24440 / New=24990
    Base Price - Invoice - Old=22821 / New = 23442

Connection Pkg. - MSRP - Old=5250 / New=5250
    Connection Pkg. - Invoice - Old=4554 / New=4554

Floor Mats - MSRP - Old=100 / New=110
    Floor Mats - Invoice - Old=79 / New=84

Destination Charge - Old=615 / New=625
  • cpcacpca Member Posts: 20
    Thanks very much for filling in the blanks, langjie.

One edit: My original post should have said the old base price MSRP was 24400 (not 24440).

One other question (just curious):

Edmunds lists the Nissan holdback as 2% of "Total Invoice". Is the destination charge included in their definition of "Total Invoice"? (Obviously, this is trivial, since it only affects the holdback amount by $12).
    honestly, i don't know. but the holdback is really 2% of total invoice + 1% of invoice for floorplan or something. in reality, it's 3%
  • starhuskerstarhusker Member Posts: 26
    I have almost decided to buy Altima hybrid until I found out that there is no aux audio input. Listening to the podcast on the road to work is part of my life now. How could I get over it? Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I thought Nissan was coming out with their own hybrid soon and the Toyota system was only temporary.
    When is their own system coming out?
    Where did you hear this?
  • tomscot2tomscot2 Member Posts: 33
    I jsut test drove an Altima Hybrid today, a basic model, and there was Aux input jack right there in plain sight on the audio system. In fact, it is kinda hokey because it is not hidden at all.
    I didn't test drive it. I got the info from the following link if you click on the Audio section.

http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/specifications.html
    That's a very good news to me tomscot2. Thanks a lot. I'll test drive it this weekend.
    I want my next car to have auxillary input, side curtain airbags, bluetooth, good fuel economy, good crash test results, good reliability, reasonable price and stability control.

It's difficult to find something like that. The Altima Hybrid might have been the one, but you have to buy the $5000 option package to get bluetooth and then you have a $30K plus vehicle. You can't get VDC on the 2.5 non-hybrid at all. The 3.5 is pricey and a gas guzzler.

No VDC on Sentra and Versa.

Does any vehicle like this exist now?

I think I can cherry pick that combination of options on the 2007 base model Mini Cooper, but it would fail my reliability requirement. I also have heard rumors than the 2008 Ford Focus might have this stuff available, but reliability might be subpar and resale value will definately be poor. I have also thought of a Dodge Caliber SXT, but reliability and MPG reports have been poor.

I think the current best choice is the Camry Hybrid or an 4 cylinder Camry XLE with optional VSC unless the 2008 Accord has VSA and bluetooth standard on LX or EX 4 cylinder models this fall. I think the next most likely vehicle will be the next generation Honda Fit (2009??) unless Nissan has any plans on making VDC available on Sentras and/or Versas in the next year or so.

Sounds like I might have to wait until stability control is mandated in 2012 to get this combo in features in sub $25K cars. I'd actually prefer to go down to sub $20K economy cars.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Well the Prius has all that.
    I don't think I can stand driving a Prius and not even benefit from using it in the HOV lane. I really hope there is something else that looks better than a Prius available now or coming in the next year that meets my other criterior or I will just keep waiting until it does.
    you get what you pay for. safety is a "luxury". not much you can do right now...that's the reason why ESC got mandated because it should be cheap enough to implement throughout

keep in mind there's haggling room
    I agree with langjie. Before you make any rash decisions, go test drive a Camry. I personally think the vehicle handles like dirt, and has poor acceleration. Reports on the Camry 4 Cylinder show that the transmission is slow to engage, and could be dangerous when merging on the freeway.

I would venture to guess that the = in your formula above is more like a ≈ and the answer is Altima Hybrid. You pay for what you get!
    For the life of me I could not find the Altima Hybrid in the colors I wanted anywhere in all of California. I looked up and down the coast, and it was nowhere to be found.

I ended up Special Ordering my Nissan Altima Hybrid in Sonoma Sunset with Blond Leather Interior and the Technology Package on 5/7/07. I went through Nissan of Garden Grove, and I'm getting a great deal on the car. Thanks to Lina, the Internet Director, at the dealership. I highly recommend this dealer to anybody out there looking for this hard to find car. I will have mine sometime in June, and I can't wait.

Check out there website, and go visit the dealership if you want this car:

www.nissangg.com
  • bcp01scu05bcp01scu05 Member Posts: 19
    Jaxs--if you look at the picture linked below, I think the AUX input is visible towards the top left of the picture. Is this what you're referring to? There appears to be no description of what exactly that is for, but it looks like the right size/shape to be an Aux input.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/MediaNav/styleId=100851544/firstNav- =Gallery/photoId=20112012#
    (in case the link doesn't work, it's picture 14/25 of the Interior section of Edmunds' photo gallery).

On other matters, does anyone have any recommendations on dealers in the South Bay Area, CA? Assuming I like the car when I test drive, I'm probably planning on buying a NAH in the next couple months. I have access to the Carperks network (www.carperks.net) through my work, so I will probably try that as well as going through either Carsdirect or the internet salesperson at another dealer to ensure I get the best deal. I will probably have to special order the car I want, too, so if anyone has good information on which dealers make that process painless, I'd really appreciate it! :D
  • johajoha Member Posts: 7
    The Nissan USA web site gives a complete list of standard and optional equipment for the Altima Hybrid and unequivocably states that a power driver seat is included in all models. I live in Maryland, so I could not see the base model car I purchased from a dealer in NJ. I was unhappy to find that there was no power seat. I wrote to Nissan and was told by a customer service rep that there is a disclaimer on the web site [see if you can find it!] and Nissan reserves the right to lie about their products on their web site. Do not trust Nissan info. Check carefully. :mad:
    I wonder what percentage of Altima sales the Hybrid is?

In my area it seems like the majority of new Altima's I see are hybrid models compared to a very low ratio of 2007 Camry Hybrids vs 2007 non-hybrid Camrys I see on the road.
    Hi Joha, if you check http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/specifications.html, click interior, you will find the hybrid has 6-way manual adjustable driver's seat in the base model.
  • johajoha Member Posts: 7
    Starhusker: You are right that Nissan's web site now states that the base model has no power seat, but that is a very recent change in response to my letter of complaint of 4/25/07. As of 5/3, Nissan's web site still bragged of power seat in all Hybrid models.
    Are you getting any discount off of list?
    Oh yeah. A pretty significant one too.
    How much of a discount? I couldn't get them to budge off of MSRP given the fact that we have to order the car that we want.
    I don't want to comment on that yet, as we have not worked out final pricing on my car. The final pricing is worked out when the car is delivered. I don't want to jeopardize the deal I'm getting by bragging about how good it is. I'm also in a little bit different situation because I get a corporate discount, through this dealer.

When you say them above, are you referring to Nissan of Garden Grove? Because all they required from me is a $500 non refundable deposit to order the car. That $500 then goes towards your down payment. Like I said, final pricing should be worked out when your car is delivered. I specifically asked if by giving a deposit and special ordering the car, if I was in any part agreeing to a selling price, and the answer was No.
    In that case, what's stopping them from raising the price significantly once the car is delivered? Have they guaranteed a range of prices (and if so, how big is the spread)?

I've never bought a new car, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the whole process, but every time I learn more about it the less I like it. Putting a $500 nonrefundable deposit down on the expectation of receiving a price I'd be satisfied with, only to leave them the option to change last minute, is not something I would very keen on.

My manager, when buying his new car a few months ago, received an online quotation with a price he liked. However, once he got to the dealership he was told that they could not actually have sold him a car at that price. How that isn't a bait-and-switch tactic worthy of reporting to the BBB, I have no idea.
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    As someone who has bought a new car or two in my life, I must agree with bcp01scu05. The idea of putting down a $500 non-refundable deposit is, to me, ludicrous; especially when you aren't certain of what the final price will be. I must ask if the "non-refundable" part was a typo.
    you should never give a non-refundable deposit. put it on your credit card so that if they refuse to give your deposit back, the credit card company can take the money away for you
    1. I trust the person I'm doing business with. 2. The corporate pricing that I am receiving through my company essentially sets the price, and that price is a price that I am more than willing to accept. The $500 non-refundable deposit was not a typo, and it seemed reasonable to me, especially given the fact that I'm going to get it back in the form of part of my downpayment. All it essentially does is ensure to the dealer that you are serious about buying this car, and you aren't just asking them to special order something for you, just so that you can 'check it out.' In today's world of crooks, that seems reasonable to me. The business is just protecting itself.

As far as your manager goes, bcp01scu05, that dealership should be reported to the BBB. Usually when you receive an online price quotation it specifically says that this price is good on this specific vehicle for up to, for example, 72 hours. If he went to the dealership with documentation of the price he liked, and they said, ooops we're sorry, we can't actually charge you that, we are going to charge you $1000 more, the dealer broke a written agreement between them and the consumer, and could be prosecuted in small claims court for doing so. That is BS.

Not all dealers are crooks. Find a good one, and stick with them. bcp01scu05, you never answered if you had specifically gone to Nissan of Garden Grove? If you didn't, and you live in SoCal, I suggest that you go there. They won't jerk you around. Make sure you ask for Lina. If you did, I'm surprised to hear that you had a bad experience with them, as mine has been all like a pleasant walk in the park.
    If the price is fixed out of the hands of the dealership (ie, the price variability is not at the discretion of the dealer), I could see that being ok. I can also understand paying a deposit to prove that you are serious--but the idea of paying a nonrefundable deposit when you expect to buy a car for, say, $28K, when they can later tell you that they're only selling for, say, $30K, is what rubbed me the wrong way. If that isn't the case, then I don't have a problem with the deposit, although I'd probably do my best to put in on a credit card for the reasons langjie discussed (and for the cash back award).

I think I may be able to get the same corporate discount you are receiving (Carperks?), so hopefully I will end up getting a similarly good deal. I'm up in NorCal, though, so unfortunately Garden Grove is about 400 miles away--probably a little far to go for a car. I haven't even gone in for a test drive yet (my timeline to buy is July/August-ish), but if you have heard anything about good dealers up in NorCal, I'm all ears. :)

As to the whole BBB thing--I don't think he would have had a legal case based on the specifics of the situation, and I don't think he ever reported it to the BBB (he works too much). He just got stuck between a rock and a hard place--the car was a surprise for his wife, he brought her out for a test drive, she liked the car, and then they sprung the price trap on him. It was either pay more or piss off his wife... he probably made the right choice. :)
    Non refundable makes no sense and is not common. It is supposed to be a hot car that they can sell to someone else if you don't want it especially if they were going to sell it to you for some great discount that they don't need to offer to the next buyer.
    What if there is some problem with the car and you don't have to be stuck with it hoping it can be fixed under warranty? Transit damage with repainting and so on?
  • townboy325townboy325 Member Posts: 37
    if u in north cal u can try Vacaville... i just picked up one today. At time i still undecided is the right hybrid or car i want but for the price and 0.7 APR for 36 months i take it. i got the Winter Frost with Convenience Package and 4-Piece Carpeted Floor Mats for 24020 and OTD is 261xx so i'm think is pretty damn good price cause MSRP 27025 and invoice is $25,278 so which mean i got it 1258 under invoice. Oh all i have to do is called the internet department sale and got the quote just that easy. That Sale man is also super nice and friendly.
  • townboy325townboy325 Member Posts: 37
    though i got a good deal but some bay area has 23333 which 677 cheaper than my deal... oh well already paid for.
  • saabgeorgesaabgeorge Member Posts: 22
    Nissan must have thought that they were going to include the power driver's seat as some point. The owner's manual list instructions for adjusting the driver's power seat and the manual passenger's seat - no instructions for adjusting the manual driver's seat. Also after the heading for the power driver's seat they don't include the comment in parentheses - "If so equipped" as they do with other optional items.