Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Towing

fmkfmk Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Jeep
I want to use my 2004 Liberty to tow a 1 horse trailer. The owners books says it can handle it. I had a hitch installed, but the installer said he didn't know where/how to install the brake controller.
How do I do this?
Thanks

Comments

• hitchiehitchie Member Posts: 2
    Did he wire a 6 or 6 way plug for your wiring in the back? If not you will need that for your trailer. The way to wire the back control is from the back connector to the front of your SUV. The brake control is connected under your dash. If you need any other help go to www.redtrailers.com
  • towfooltowfool Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle, Jeep is offering some great deals on a 2007 Liberty with the 3.7L engine. According to specs it's capable of towing 5000 lbs. yet I've read an article that says it really shouldn't pull more than half of this weight.Does anyone have experience towing this amount of weight with a Liberty? I'm really interested in knowing how it does on the highway, up long inclines.
    It's too bad dealers don't hook up trailers so you can do a complete test drive

Thanks for your time
  • vinnimdvinnimd Member Posts: 2
    I towed a VW GTI with U-Haul Car trailer no problem except the front end was a bit higher than the rest of the car.

Towed a 12x6 enclosed trailer no problem.

Towed a 1500 lbs Kubota tractor no problem.

I have pulled a 15 Passenger VAN out of snow stuck on the side with no problem.

its capable, just be nice to it
  • slc2slc2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Jeep Liberty and tow a 23ft 4200lb cuddy cabin boat. It has plenty of power to pull the boat on the road, up hills and out of the water; however, the weight is a little scary on the highway. Quick maneuvering or stopping concern me. It's a little like the tail wagging the dog.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Could you try towing in 4WD full time? I noticed driving downhill on slippery winding roads is very relaxing when all wheels are engaged and when you need to quickly react to a threat. When in 2WD, the front wheels can stop turning whilst the rear wheels allow to 'make a doughnut' You won't be able to do this in 4WD, and an excessive push from a trailer will make the front wheels turn as well. The feeling of instability is lessened.
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2005 CRD and pull a 18' Zoom Travel Trailer that weight 4400+ pounds and has a gross weight of 4800 and it pulls just fine.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    It's too bad dealers don't hook up trailers so you can do a complete test drive

A towing test with a brand new vehicle would likely damage the rear differential. Some dealers will let you take a used vehicle for hours or even a day. Find a used one with a hitch and try it out.
  • umccoywumccoyw Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 jeep liberty limited with 4x4. im moving and need to tow my jeep behind the moving truck im renting. can i use a car dolly to tow it if i put the transfer case in nuetral? i will be towing it about 750 miles.
  • jeepgirl05jeepgirl05 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 05 diesel Liberty, am moving from MT to CO in April or May.
    I'll be pulling a uhaul trailer, thinkin about a 5x10 cu.ft. The place where I'll be getting the trailer from, says I will have to drive Jeep in 4wd all the way there. Will I really have to do this? I've never used it to pull anything before.
    Thnx, :shades:
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    I'm not sure who told you that, but that's an incorrect statement. If you notice in Jeep literature, your towing capacity is GREATER in 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive. I found this out as I was going to tow 5000 pounds in an '07 Grand Cherokee last year. I was advised by my dealership that 2 wheel drive (which is what I had) was going to benefit me more because I had greater towing capacity. Why it works out that way, I'm not sure as I'm new to Jeeps and won't have a 4 wheel drive model until my next Jeep, but I trust the dealer more than the guy down at U-Haul in this particular situation.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Caribou1 is right about towing in AWD to add stability under a variety of conditions. When I tow in the hilly curvy Ozarks I always tow in AWD to distribute the load to two differentials instead of one. If you do a lot of highway towing at higher speeds you will find that running in 2WD will get the rear differential quite a lot hotter than when towing in AWD because in 2WD only the rear differential carries the load.

When your transfer case is in AWD the setup is virtually the same as most of the older Grand Cherokees that only had AWD for towing and normal driving.
  • orlyzzorlyzz Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased and installed a tow hitch for my Liberty. I also order an plug in wiring kit ....I went under the rear bumper to look for the male plug connector as so I could plug into the the wiring kit (which has a female adapter)...but there was nothing to plug into?
    Can anyone give me advice to where or what I need to do to hook up the tow wiring with out cutting into the wiring harness itself?

Thanks...

Orly. :confuse:
    I once read there is a pre-cabled harness with wires and connectors for relays (?) inside the truck, under the left plastic cover of the trunk. Just make sure you don't confuse the plus wire from the battery with the plus from the "accessories".
  • hitchiehitchie Member Posts: 2
    What kind of wiring harness did you buy? What is the brand or part number? Once I get that I can help you.

Thanks Paul
  • walt05libertywalt05liberty Member Posts: 2
    I live in Edmonton, I paid $400.00 to install a controller on my 2005 Liberty
    the dealer told me a Chev pickup would cost $90.00 but something about the Liberty uses up many hundreds of dollars worth of Labour
  • walt05libertywalt05liberty Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a front bumper (replace original)
    and the approximate cost ? 2005 Liberty Sport 3.7 litre 6 speed manual
  • lipidlipid Member Posts: 2
    I'm not certain exactly what you are looking for. Do you want a factory replacement? And if so, just the plastic cover? It is about $125 at the dealer for the 2006 model.

If you are looking for a 'real' bumper, then you may have some difficulty. I've searched all over and only found one. It is a heavy steel bumper for off-road use. Cost about $900. You probably would have to do some cutting and welding to install it.
  • lipidlipid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 CRD. It did not have a tow-ready harness.
    I bought a kit, popped both taillight fixtures out, ran the wires up through the openings from underneath (no drilling required) and connected the new wiring harness.
    You just unplug the existing wires from the brake/tail lights, and then connect the kit wiring in between.
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    Okay,I just went through this.Bought an ultralite travel trailer 17 foot,2900 pounds,dry.Got a Tekonsha trailer brake controller for the unit.Dealer wanted $200 flat rate to install and r.v. place was talking 250.I have the factory tow package and the truck is wired for the brake controller.I emailed Tekonsha and they told me exactly where and how to wire this in.Behind the lower left kick panel there is a small white panel,pull this off and you will find a red wire taped up in the harness with a nice little flag that says "trailer brake".You also have to tap into a white with tan trace wire an the brake light switch.I wired the unit and picked up the trailer yesterday.No probs.Towed it up a hill just over 1000 foot elevation,had to take it out of overdrive and she was workin but didn't drop below 80k/hr.I found the tranny hunted a bit because of the traffic speed and hilly terrain but it towed great.The factory tires are junk,I will be getting good sneakers on this thing,any suggestions?
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I have a 08 Liberty.Talking about factory tires,I just had mine replaced under warranty because they couldn't get rid of steering wheel vibration at 65-80MPH.They were Wrangler S/T.I replaced with Goodyear Fortera silent armor.I haven't had a chance yet to check them out on the highway,but so far in city they feel good and little quieter then the Wranglers.I put on 245/70-16.I checked other Liberty forums,and that seems like a popular size.Good Luck.
    Thank's.What is the load rating on those?There isn't much tongue weight ,especially with the equalizer bars.Gonna have to buy a generic mirror extension for towing cause they don't seem to make one for the libby.This is an odd ball litttle truck with the diesel but so far it is worth the issues I've had.Plus havin a good tech is 90% of the battle.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    load rating 2094#@35lbs, width 9.8",diameter is 29.5",70k mile tread warranty.
  • 05crdjeep05crdjeep Member Posts: 59
    I'm serious about buying a 19' Airstream CCD International Series travel trailer. The base weight is 3,575 lbs. I'm not so worried about the weight as I am about issues around sway and control because of the 108" wheelbase of the Liberty. Does anyone here have a similar trailer size/weight they haul around? What anti sway device would you recommend? I currently have the tow package, Class III hitch. My 2005 is a Diesel.

I would rather not have to scale down to the 16' model.
    Definitely go with the sway bars.The r.v. place can tell you exactly what kind.I got mine with the trailer and towed iton the highway at 60 mph and you could fell the difference.I am going to replace my jeep tires for better traction.My trailer is a 16 foot aerolite cub 2900 pounds dry so loaded I'm thinkin at least 3600.Haven't towed it loaded yet but will let the forum know by next weekend.I too have the diesel,looking forward to hearing more from others towing with it.No brand name on the sway bars but they seem like a generic type and work well.
  • yakersyakers Member Posts: 10
    My wife wanted a 19ft Airstream but it was a bit $$ and we figured we would need a different towing vehicle as the wheelbase of the Liberty is limited. We went with a 17ft T@da (also made by Thor, who owns Airstream) It is about 2,500 empty and maybe 3,500 loaded but it tows like it is not there on the flats at least. Up the Grapevine the Liberty just hums and climbs at whatever speed I want. I think the Liberty could tow the weight you want but in adverse weather or road conditions I think there could be problems because of the wheelbase.
    Didthe Liberty CRD and T@da for about half of what an Airstream & more powerful vehicle would cost.
    Been towing a 17 foot traialer(3000)lbs,truck pulls well but heats up high when going up steep hills.Has anyone put in an aftermarket tranny cooler on this truck?I'm driving the diesel.
    Put on Goodyear silent armors 70 series and installed aftermarket tranny cooler.What a difference,truck runs cooler and sway is negated,those tires are the answer.She still gets warm goin up the big hills but I will look at increasing cooing either by a bigger rad or overriding the electric fan to run on demand during towing.Have found fuel mileage to be decent when towing even over mountains.Will look at installing cold air intake next year and would like to know if anyone has put a chip in the jeep to see how parametes are changed and results.
  • woody480woody480 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this I need some help I have a jeep Liberty 2008 and need to know how to set it up to flat tow behind a moving truck can any one help. The manual with the car is a little confusing . what kind of bar do I need and were do you get them from.Thanks
    Never done a tow like that but a lot of r.v.'s do this.I've seen some elaborate set ups with shock absorbers and some straight tow bars.You may have to put the transfer case in neutral so you don't rotate the tranny with the tranny pump running and destroy the transmission.I doubt you will have to disconnect the drive shaft.Best thing to do is talk to the mechanics and or an r.v. shop that does the setups for large motorhomes towing thier regular vehicles.Also check u-haul for the tow bar and you may be able to use a wheel dolly that supports front or rear wheels.Hope this helps,arvman....
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    I have an 02 that tows a Passport Ultra lite goes about 4800 lbs. I put the firestone air bags in the rear. The little truck gets funny stares but it does the job admirably. We just got back from Lake George, NY about a 5 hour one way trip and I averaged about 9-10 mpg. doing 60-65 sometimes 70. The power is there and did not have much sway. The biggest time for sway is when the busses or trucks come by but other than that no problem. Headed out to Hershey PA next month and I am not expecting to have any issues. Also, have had it in the Poconos too with no problems. Climbs and descends the hills with no problem. However did need to purchase the universal mirror adapter b/c I cannot see around the camper with the stock mirrors. BTW I have 188,000 miles on it.
  • mikki514mikki514 Member Posts: 1
    Boats3,

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and will be renting a travel trailer next weekend to attend the Dover race. I'm renting the trailer from Ft Meade and they are telling me The Original Aerolite A21 RDB 20 ft (which I can't find true specs on) is around 4700lbs fully weighed down. I have a tow hitch and electronic braking system and am a bit worried about the 4700lbs. The drive will be flat towing except for driving over the Bay Bridge. I am planning on a slow drive out there but want to make sure the Jeep is capable of this towing. I won't have anything loaded in the trailer, just minimum gas in one tank and will fill up with water when I reach my destination. Should I be worried?
    Sorry, Mikki don't check in often how did you make out? If it was not to windy you should have been ok. You should have been fine with the weight. The book calls for max 25 foot. I actually just sold my 02 on Friday, had 190,000 miles on it and got 4k. Think I did ok. Went up to a 06 4Runner which did a better job but it was also and 8 cycl.
  • diannekbdiannekb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that is rear wheel drive and has a tow hitch. We live in PA and are thinking about purchasing an older trailer, a 1993 Skyline. I am unsure of the weight of the trailer and unsure if my jeep will be able to handle the pulling. Can someone please advise.
    You need to find out the weight of the trailer. The Liberty is only rated for 5,000lbs. I would get the Skyline weighed first before purchasing, the last thing you want is for the camper to be heavier than what the vehicle is rated for otherwise the tow will be pushing the car. You will also need to get the CIPA extend mirrors to see safely around you. I towed a Passport to Lake George from NJ last year and had no problems so if the total weight of the camper loaded is less than 5000 you will be ok. However I needed a new car and purchased a 4 Runner which does tow alot better. Good Luck but do it safe, I am sure you will be able to go, but stopping is more important.
  • lemoncrdlemoncrd Member Posts: 2
    My Liberty CRD tows like a dream, but when I hit a really steep hill, the temp. gauge goes to the top. It cools down immediately once I hit the top of the hill. Any comments? I live in NM at 5000 ft. elevation, and there's nowhere to take a boat that doesn't require going up steep hills. I pulled my 3000 lb. boat and trailer from Spokane to Albuquerque with no issues. I have a 1-1/2 inch lift kit and Goodyear LT 245/75-R16 tires. I was getting a flat tire a week driving gravel roads with the car tires that come from the factory. I love the vehicle, but it makes me nervous to have it overheat that drastically, even for a short time.
    Several people reported a bug in the processing of the engine temperature displayed on the console. In case the engine really over heats, you will be notified by the engine malfunction indicator and the injection system will turn itself off. Try to use the engine above 2000 rpm when you torque it; this will improve horsepower + cooling + life of the torque converter.
    I also live in a mountain area and I know diesels need to breathe to provide the extra effort. I have close to 100,000 miles and this engine performs better than it did when I got it new :shades:
    For info: During 4 hours at a steady 80 mph with 3 passengers plus luggage and 90 degrees Fahrenheit (in the shade), the temperature indicator needle did not pass over the mid temperature line.
    For "lightnin3": my tire pressure was 39psi ;)
  • lemoncrdlemoncrd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, it makes me feel better to learn that there is a malfunction indicator and shutoff system.

I have a friend with the same vehicle and he said there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out and they fixed his, but he couldn't remeber the details. I asked the dealer and they said "huh?". I did some looking on another forum, and they show TSB 08-043-05 as reprogramming the software so the gauge shows the correct temperature.

It sounds fishy to me, because of the abrupt runup from straight up to far right on the gauge and it only happens when towing uphill.

I'll go back to the dealer with the TSB number and see what I get.
This discussion has been closed.