Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Oil Changes

Comments

• wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    First oil change. 2011 Nox with six. On check in had conversation about new GM SG5 oil type for Nox six. No idea what I was talking about. I told them yo put in Penzoil G5 which is approved by GM for their new direct injection six. Check out....regular SG4 put in.Talked to service manager, and he was aware of new oil requirments. Drained and replaced. I then asked if the put a new filter in. No. So drain and refill with new filter. To their credit.....no charge.
    Please, be aware of the new oil regiment for the 2011 Nox six.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    ive talked to a few service managers and none even knew that 2011 gm cars need this new oil. scary.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    I just bought my 2011 V6 so no oil change for a while, but what's with the SG5 oil type (versus SG4)? What are the technical differences. With a direct injection engine, you'd think they'd be forcing you to buy the higher grade GAS, not oil.

This sounds like another great American scam to me: "we'll develop this new 'direct injection' engine and then tell them they need to buy your new oil ... "
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    edited January 2011
    GF5 is the new oil standard, GF4 is the old one. Along with GF5, is SN, and they are similar (just like SM was similar to GF4). Before long you won't be able to buy oil from a major manufacturer that is not GF5 (Pennzoil dino yellow bottle already is - synthetics have surpassed these standards for a long time). Just use a good synthetic (dexos "approved" or not - they all meet the spec just some, like Valvoline, aren't willing to pay the certification fee to GM) with a low NOACK rating (because of the direct injection engine) and follow the oil life monitor for oil changes and you'll be fine.

Also, direct injection engines is not an American maufacturer thing. German companies were the first to introduce them, and it was quite a while ago. A whole host of manufacturers are not making DI engines because you get about 3% better fuel economy, and the feds keep upping the mileage requirements.

Your conspiracy theories are unwarranted.
    Well, I haven't read through the owner's manual yet. In fact, the car hasn't moved since I brought it home a week ago. But I wasn't planning on using synthetic oil. I've used standard oil with my other three cars and they've got 250,000 ('89 Colt), 193,000 ('97 Taurus), and 143,000 ('02 Impala) miles on them. I'd really rather have all the cars using the same oil - just easier to manage that way. And I'm guessing the car comes from the factory with standard oil in it, but I could be wrong.

We'll see what the owner's manual says. If the car can take standard oil, that's probably what it'll get. I've always serviced my cars myself and I've never had any oil-related problems (I've rarely had ANY problems). And I like changing the oil between 3000 and 4000 miles - especially when the mileage starts piling up (and oil starts disappearing between changes). I'm afraid if I get too complacent with synthetic changing the oil every 7000 to 8000 miles, at some point after 150,000 miles I'm going to get into trouble with low oil levels (unless I check the dipstick religiously ... something I've never done in the past because I change the oil religiously).
    Do you have a 2010 or 2011? I haven't checked, but with 2010 models of the 2.4 the manual probably specs SM and/or GF4 as the minimum specifications. For 2011, GM requires all their vehicles use oil that meets (even if not "officially" certified) dexos 1 (for gas vehicles) or dexos 2 (for diesel). Even though the engines cross over between model years, these are their requirements now for warranty purposes. In other words, if you have a 2011 and aren't using a dexos spec oil and have an engine problem, you might have trouble getting it covered under warranty. I don't know what, if any, conventional ("dino") oils do/will meet the dexos 1 spec.

Besides the main benefit of longer oil change intervals, synthetics have several other advantages, especially in extremely cold or hot climates. But for direct injection engines, they have a lower NOACK, which will help reduce the deposits on the valves that tend to build up in DI engines because of gas not flowing over them like they do in regular fuel injected engines. Synthetics also tend to handle fuel dilution in the oil better, and DI engines have more fuel dilution.
    edited January 2011
    Well, I'll have to look at that. I certainly don't want to give them an excuse to void my warranty (which they'll gladly do). Really bothers me, though, when manufacturers force you to move to something new which is more costly (without any good proof that it's actually necessary). Software people play this game all the time: "Sorry, but that program doesn't run under that Operating System; you'll have to buy another version from us...". And all they're really "changing" is a few links to the Operating System (and a few buttons, boxes, and colors to make it "look" different). The rest of the logic remains the same.

It's a great way to keep the money flowing. You just keep changing things and forcing people to buy the new thing. And if there's any chance they could still use the older thing, you threaten them with voided warranties (or tell them how "risky" it is to continue using the older thing).

There's no end to capitalistic rackets in this country.
  • copelandamuffycopelandamuffy Member Posts: 1
    Sunday 2/6/2011. Purchased new Equinox 2/5/2011
    Taking time to read Owner's manual
    Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or Oil changes every 20,000 miles??

Change oil every 3,000 miles on the 2001 Impala

What is the cost of an oil change at standard Chevrolet Dealer?
    $32.00??
    What is the harm in doing oil changes every 3,000 miles at the dealer, or all I am doing
    is making General Motors more wealthy??

Thanks
    Follow the oil life monitor and use a quality synthetic (which with 2011 you need to use a dexos oil, and I don't think any conventional dino oils meet that spec). I still change mine when it gets to 8k even if the OLM is not all the way down yet.
  • vwalburnvwalburn Member Posts: 23
    Getting ready for my first oil change on our 2011 Equinox with the 4 cyl. Going with Amsoil XL 5W-30 and a Mobil1 oil filter. Seems like the best combo.
  • stephcpstephcp Member Posts: 9
    I was wondering if you guys had found out about this oil burning issue?

I have a 2010, purchased in Aug 09. We did not have any problems until February of this year. In less than 3000K miles ours burnt enough oil that none showed on the bottom of the dip stick. Long story short...they have NO clue what is causing this and are dealing with the engineers trying anything and everything to figure out why it is burning. After the first jaunt in the shop, changing out seals among other things, it still burnt 3/4 of a quart in 1100 miles.

I just dropped it back off to the dealership last Tuesday. They have no idea what is going on with it, apparently neither do the engineers as it is still sitting in the exact same spot I parked it when I dropped it off a week ago.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    stephcp,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set up the case I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, please include a brief description of the problems you are experiencing.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    For what it is worth I've been burning synthetic since I first switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic at 6,000 mi. I've asked two dealers about it and both said it's normal. I've driven new Chevy Blazers for over 30 years and have never had one burning oil even after 125,000. Tell me it's the synthetic versus fossil and switch right back. FWIW when I did the first OC at 6,000 not an ounce of the factory oil was short. I'm at 26,000 now and any "seal" consumption should be over by now. No leaks no evidence of oil, in the anti-freeze.
    I would say it is not normal. We have over 10K on our 2011 Equinox 4 cyl. ; went with Amsoil XL at 5500 miles and the oil still shows full after almost 5K.
  • sherry28sherry28 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. They were checking my oil at 1000 miles and saying it wasn't serious enough to investigate further. Yesterday I checked it again at 3000 miles, and like you, there wasn't a drop on the dip stick. I'm taking it back in tomorrow.

Did they ever find out what the problem was with yours?
  • stephcpstephcp Member Posts: 9
    It was definitely not normal as the previous replies to my post were saying. For 8 weeks, checks every 1000 miles indicated that I was losing a quart of oil in each of those 1000 mile periods. I am a commuter so this ended up being checked about every 2 weeks. We finally got stern with them. They tore the engine down twice and replaced multiple items both times. This resulted in belts having to be replaced due to stretching from tearing down/putting the engine back together.

They told me not go by the Engine Life Indicator, that they didn't even know why it was put on the 2010 models because it was meant for synthetic oil and these were not running synthetic. Keep in mind the oil life indicator had NOTHING to do with the fact that the first time it nearly ran dry it was under 3000K miles since the last oil change.

It seems to be doing a little better in the oil burning dept. However I'm having the same problems as some others with it just not running smooth, the clicking noise (makes it sound like a diesel). We are biding our time since we will need a bigger vehicle if #3 comes into the picture. We still have about 50K miles on the powertrain warranty, but once we hit about 75K-80K miles it will be headed to the used car lot.
  • tibbtibb Member Posts: 3
    It's good and notso good to hear other people are having these issues as well. I've had my Equinox over 2 yrs now and am running at 46,000km. I love the vehicle, it's great on gas but what's up with this oil thing? I've had Mobil 1 from the start and it was burning oil, switched to regular oil (dealers recommendation) and it's still burning about a litre a month. It does not smoke or leak oil anywhere? They tell me this is normal to burn this much oil for a 4cyl. engine? Don't think so, I've had vehicles with 300,000km and haven't burnt any oil. ISSUE here admit it GM. The dealer is going to start a oil consumption log now, yippee! I'm making it all up, I'm secretly draining the oil out on myself in the night to get attention? Anyhow, it's good to know this isn't just me having this problem. Kingston, ON
  • brad5879brad5879 Member Posts: 12
    Bought our 2010 Equinox in mid-December 2011 and and not even 4 months and 6,000 miles later we have gone through 5 quarts of oil. Car just crossed 30,000 miles today. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the engine was tapping very loudly - louder than the normal annoying tap. After checking the oil, NONE showed on the dipstick. This is real bad. I will be taking it in for service tomorrow and will keep this thread updated. I'm sure hoping I'm not in for a long term battle with my dealer to get this fixed right.
    I'm at 44,000 now and still burning 2 quarts per 6000 miles. I changed synthetic at 6,000. I've noticed it is oil wet around the engine fill. I changed the gasket on the filler cap, no change. It's not me spilling while filling, I use a spout. No drips no leaks anywhere to be found. At 42,000 I switched back to dino oil. I've had to add 1/2 quart twice now. :confuse:

The mpg is definitely better at the front end of the change. I'll drop 2 mpg between 4000 and 6000 miles.
    I took it in on 4/4/12 and they did an oil change and said they'd have to run an oil consumption test. Every time I need to add a quart I have to bring it in and they'll top it off and document it. I have to do that 3 times and then they will try to figure out what's wrong.

I really didn't expect to have to do this when I bought a car with 24,000 miles on it, but I am now understanding why someone traded this in.
  • bobbyd7bobbyd7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2012 equinox. When should I make my first oil change. I always do it myself.The manual doesn't say when to change it. It only tells me to use Dexos approved.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning bobbyd7,

Your Equinox has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven. When it has determined that an oil change is needed based upon these factors, an alert will appear in the DIC; from this time, it is strongly recommended to make sure to change the oil within 600 miles. I want to also note that the oil life system does not track the level of oil, and so it is always wise to check this periodically. For more information on the oil life system, see page 10-12 in your manual. If you have further questions, please contact us at [email protected]

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    We have an 2011 Equinox with the 4 cyl. and I performed the first oil change at 5200 miles; the OLM had about 50% left on the meter. There is no spec for an unusually short O.C. for the first one but some people, i.e. myself, just felt better doing the first one early. I currently have Mobil1 EP and an Mobil1 oil filter in it and plan on getting it pretty close on the OLM, maybe around 10-20%. Have over 6K on it now and about 45% on the OLM. Be sure to get the special oil filter cap socket before your change, it's worth the money.
  • carmom6carmom6 Member Posts: 1
    Has Chevy figured out why the equinox is burning oil? I too have a 2010 and just in the past 8 to 12 months it started to burn all the oil it was given for the past two oil changes. I am a little frustrated. Do you have any advice based upon your equinox experience?

Thanks.
    Seems like there solution is just bring it back every time it needs topped off and they will document it and after 3 times they will "get to the bottom of it and figure it out"...that's what I was told. Based upon the responses all over the internet, it's at least 1,000 miles between top-off's, they will tell you it's normal.

Pretty frustrating because it is not normal and this is just their way of not taking responsibility. If this is what happens with me I will be done with Chevy and GM forever, and that's all I've owned since I got my license and first car in 1997.

Good luck.
    Good morning carmom6,

Are your oil changes being performed at your servicing dealership? It might not be a bad idea to ask for an oil consumption test from them so they can determine if your vehicle is consuming an abnormal amount of oil and so that they can then move forward in diagnosing any problems.

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sherry28sherry28 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I think they are trying to wait until the warranty expires.
    Been there done that TWICE. Wouldn't even subject the Nox to the test saying it was normal.
    If we can follow up with your dealership, please send us the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Just wanted to get an idea on what intervals everyone is doing for oil changes. Going by a set interval or going by the OLM. Our oil has been in for 6 months and 8k miles and have 29% on the OLM.
    FWIW - at 47,000 I decided to change the oil early and sought out the Mobil 1 synthetic with Dexos. Not an easy find mind you. I am now at 52,000 and have not had to add any oil since the change. In the prior 40K I would have dumped 2 more quarts in after 5000. I don't know what the difference is in formulation but I have been using Mobile One without the Dexos label as well as Pennzoil dino oil and both burned.

"Dexos1 and 2 are just money grabs by GM to get more money from licensing. There is little that is different with that spec than what most synthetics (group III even) already have."

Maybe in your mind, but in my engine the Dexos label is not burning like the others.
  • cra1g3rcra1g3r Member Posts: 1
    They have figured it out but have not admitted a mistake yet. The fuel injectors are under unusually high pressure to achieve better emissions. When the car is shut off the injectors drip due to the high pressure not being relieved which washes all the oil in the cylinders down into the oil. This not only makes the oil very dirty very fast but thins the oil out causing it to burn faster - slips past rings easier. This is why everyone got ECM updates for their oil indicators - oil was fouling extremely quickly and the oil indicator needed to run out faster. Owners need to expose this issue and pressure the manufacturer for a real fix. :mad:
  • chuck2794chuck2794 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter bought a new equinox in 2010. This past October the high pressure fuel pump started putting gas into the oil. 6 qts. when GM checked out. Since then it has been using oil at a rate of 1qt. per thousand miles. Gm done their oil consumption test and said this is normal. That is a shame !!! GM will not do anything. :lemon:
    I traded mine on a 2012 Cruze, then after a year bought a 2013 Equinox. No issues yet, it has the 3.4l 6 cylinder in it and it hauls [non-permissible content removed]!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm I believe in the old days a quart every thousand miles might be acceptable (whether we liked it or not), these days it shouldn't be more then a quart every 2 thousand. I think I would suggest opening a case with GM customer service (rep will likely see this and give more info as to how). Different dealer might be good option after this is done if your current dealer isn't cooperative
    Hi Chuck,

I can certainly understand why you would be frustrated. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, approximate mileage on your vehicle, and dealer you visited please so I can look into this for you? My email is [email protected]. Please put "Attn Crystal" in the subject line. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    Crystal L. GM Customer Care
  • the3dollathe3dolla Member Posts: 7
    I subscribed to this thread a while back, but as of late I've seen some concerning posts of which I've had the same issue. The 2010 Equinox 2LT I purchased new was the first new car I purchased. Just liked the look of it when it was changed in that model year. I have had relatively little issues with it, I did notice that when changing my oil I'd never get as much oil drained as should be in there. Well, guess it makes sense that the oil is burning off, thus the reason I don't.

Recently (one month before my warranty end) I would turn my car off and it would stay on for say 5 seconds. The only saving grace is that I had one year of warranty left. The stabilitrak light came on at the time as well. I took it in and they said they had to replace the high pressure fuel pump, that I heard about in a post above. Friends thought, "wow replacing a fuel pump this early" I didn't think much of it as I was under warranty, but man, what am I going to do in another 25000 miles? Replace it again? For my first oil change I put in Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic oil.

I purchased this car for 30K+, now I'm wondering if I need to sell it to avoid future issues?

Does GM really have nothing to say about this? Gas leaking into the oil, that can't be good right? (kind of a rhetorical question) Is there anything we can do about this? I'd get in on a class action if one came up.
    when they had my daughters 2010 equinox for a oil consumption test she had to drive it a thousand miles take it to them 3 different times she could not check oil or add anything. they said how much oil was used then topped it off.looks like they would get their system down. in my daughters case it is their word. she has no idea how much is used.
    Hi the3dolla,

I am sorry for any inconvenience. Generally if there is a recall we will alert you via mail. Please let me know if you have any other concerns. I am here and more than happy to help:-)

Sincerely,
    Crystal L. GM Customer Care
    Just checking to see if you got my pm about 2010 chevy equinox using oil
    No I did not. Scott
  • fgayfgay Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2012 LT2 last month, I noticed the "oil change sticker" said it had been almost 3 months since an oil change, and asked why they would sell me a car with an oil change almost due. I was told by salesman that the oil change indicator would tell when one was due. Yet when I met the service tech, he told to ignore the manual instructions and the oil change indicator and get the oil changed every 3000 miles! I want to do what is necessary to keep car in warranty, but do not want to spend unnecessary money changing the oil more than it needs. What is your opinion?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    It all depends on your driving style!

The OLM should give you an idea if it's updated. If you were told to ignore the OLM, which I do that might be wise due to issues with too infrequent OCIs on this engine.

While I'm not an advocate of the 3K OCI if using a good oil, oil is cheap compared to chain replacements and everything else that could happen.

FWIW my last OC was at 3,200. The OLM was at 35% before it was recalibrated and this was mostly short trip driving.
  • fgayfgay Member Posts: 2
    Most of my driving is less than 50 miles per trip, maybe once or at most twice a week.. The oil used was synthetic as suggested in manual per sticker. I have had car 5 weeks and have not put 500 miles on it! Car I traded in was 13 years old and had only 69,000 miles on it, and I drive less now that I am retired. So maybe I will have oil changed soon and have tires rotated . Thanks for your input!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    The "Oil Consumption Test" is just a "delaying tactic" on the part of the dealer, and GM! ------ Both GM, and the dealer know what the problem is, and the problem centers around the "high pressure direct injection fuel pump" leaking raw fuel into the engine, thus thinning out the lubricating oil causing timing chain problems, main bearing problems and cylinder wall & piston ring damage. ------ With the additional "blow by from the combustion chamber" the PCV system is pulling wet fumes from the crankcase, and this is how the engine oil is being consumed. ---- The engine needs to either be remanufactured or replaced. Here are the questions to think about! ---- I do most of my driving "over the road" to see my customers. How am I going to bring my vehicle back to the dealer for this "Oil Consumption Test?" If I am on the road, I would have to add oil, or I would eventually run out of oil! ----- Are we all living in a "dream world" where the automotive customer becomes part of the warranty repair? ----- Pure and simple, the engine needs to be replaced! ----- What is the problem? ----- In life what goes around does come around. ---- I am driving a 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu 2.4 purchased new from an outstanding dealer, and a 2007 XLE Toyota Camry V6 purchased new from an outstanding dealer. ----- I almost purchased a 2010 2.4 Equinox when I purchased the Malibu. ------ THANK GOD I DID NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE! ---- (My 2.4 is NOT a direct injection engine, and he in lies the defect of the Equinox engine, and it's problems!) ---- I would never allow myself to be treated in this unprofessional fashion, since my vehicles are my office on the road. ----- As a customer I expect a high quality product from the manufacturer! ------ I understand that vehicles today are "high Tech," so as such, I will purchase a "top of the line" new vehicle extended warranty from the manufacturer. ----- I will service & change my oil and filter twice as often as necessary because "clean engines are happy engines, " ---- I will give the selling dealer all of my service business, --- but when there is a problem with the vehicle I expect timely / professional / outstanding service with NO EXCUSES! ----- My vehicles are my office. I need them to earn a living. My job is to pay the bills, and the dealers job is to fix the vehicle and keep me on the road in a safe manner. ---- I do not want to be a part of the repair / trouble shooting process. --- If something is wrong just fix it. ------ All I want to do is check the engine oil on a daily basis, fuel up the vehicle, and drive it 24 / 7 / 365. ----- I do not want to have the dealer tell me that the "manufacturer is working on a fix for my vehicle's problem!" ----- If the dealer wants to sell me another vehicle they had better fix the problem. If the vehicle did not have the problem when I picked it up new, and now it has a problem, something happened between the two points in time. ---- FIX THE PROBLEM! ----The dealer had no problem taking my money at the time of the sale, so now when there is a malfunction they should have no problem troubleshooting the problem. ----- Sometimes you run into dealers that are less than professional. ----- That is why the customer should do research about the dealer before they walk into the showroom. When I walk into a new car showroom and I meet and greet the sales person, I ask to see the service department, and meet the service manager and service writers. I want to get a "feel" for the total operation. While I am doing this, I watch the "body language" of my sales person and the service personnel. "Body Language" can tell you a lot about the operation. If I do not like what I see, I thank the salesperson for their time and I walk! ----- If after the purchase, the service department tries to "stone wall me " with warranty repairs like an "oil burning engine," I would have no problem going to a "magnetic sign company" and having two signs made up saying; ----"This NEW vehicle burns oil! Purchase from; XXXXXXX" ---- QUESTION: ----- What is the dealer going to do, ---- take me to court? ----- That is what I want! ----- Where are his / her attorneys going to find 12 people who have not been abused by a car dealership? ----- I happened to like the looks of the Chevrolet Equinox, and I am starting to look for a replacement vehicle for my 2007 Camry, but why should I purchase the Equinox when GM is not being "proactive" about the repairs. ----- At least Toyota is doing something about the problems with the Rav4! ------- Some ideas to consider when making your next vehicle purchase! ------ Dwayne
    it's really amazing this problem is still on-going and GM is just getting away with the crime.

We're 10 months into our 2013 CR-V and love it. Best move we did was cut our losses with GM. Saved our sanity big time. Can't put a price on that.

I come from a long line of GM owners and I have owned nothing but GM in my 18 years of driving and I'll never buy one of their cars the rest of my life and neither will my wife and neither will our kids because I'll tell them the horror of dealing with Chevy and GM Customer Service.
    This is a VERY SAD state of affairs. ----- GM is being advised by people who; 1.) Do not understand that "high quality / timely service" sells future vehicles. ---- 2.) Do not understand that being "pro-active," in terms of warranty repairs is being professional. ------ They "think" that they are saving money by putting off warranty repairs, but while this might be true in the "short run," in the long run, they are loosing future sales of both "present" and "future customers." ----- I have a 2010 LTZ Malibu that is an outstanding vehicle, and because of this, I will look at another Malibu, but I would be hard pressed to look at an Equinox, even though that I like it as an SUV. ------- At the present time, Toyota is having some problems with the Rav4, but they are "out in the open with their problem," and they are working with the dealers and the owners to make things right! They are not stalling the customer. They are pro-active! This is what customers expect from both the manufacturer and the dealer. ------ QUESTIONS: ------ Why is this so hard for GM to understand? ----- Why is GM ignoring the customers with these vehicles? ----- These customers purchased these vehicles in good faith. They expected a high quality vehicle! They never expected this nightmare! ---- Just something to think about, ---- before your next vehicle purchase. ------ Dwayne
    Your might want to add Chrysler & Jeep to that list of "never," ------- as they have some poor warranty / quality / service issues in their past! ----- I had a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was a vehicle from hell with operational issues and poor dealer service. (Electrical Problems & Drive Train Problems) ---- Dwayne.