Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I did a 300+ mile trip today in my 08 XE 3.5. The trip was all interstate, with two of us aboard, a trunk full of luggage, the a/c on, and the cruise set at 70 MPH. The car managed to average 32.1 MPG. I calculated the mileage maually during fill-ups - turns out my trip computer is a bit pessimistic.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Trip computers are always wrong. You have to calc. manual.
  • steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    Trip computers are always wrong. You have to calc. manual.

My DIC was within 0.5 mpg of the calculated mileage. Which one was wrong? - dunno, maybe both!
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    All tires now ~36 PSI, still averaging 15-16 MPG for 'round town driving.

Long road trips, yes MPG on computer goto 22-23.

Can actually see MPG drop 16.0 ... 15.9 ... 15.8 in stop-n-go traffic. Again, I'm conscientiously light on the pedal.

Is there a "stingy" mode on the chip that controls fuel/air mixture?
  • georgiaxrgeorgiaxr Member Posts: 4
    With nearly 6k on my 07 XR, I finally got a chance at a road trip to see the hwy. mileage. Drove from the Cincinnati area to the Atlanta area with approximately 650 pounds of people and luggage. Had the cruise set to 80 whenever possible and averaged 25.7 mpg for the last 300 miles. This is a trip that has few straight stretches and much time was spent in the KY and TN mountains. This is very comparable to the 200 hp, 2002 Honda Accord EX-V6 that I used to own. It would do 26-27 mpg on the same trip. However, the extra room and 52 extra HP is certainly worth the slight mpg loss! :)
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    That's pretty good considering the hills.
    I continued to see improvements in MPG up through 10Kmiles so next time you take the trip, you might see another 1to 1.5 MPG improvement. I did.
    I am now consistently getting 29 on the Interstates that are pretty level. I have gotten 32 mpg@68-70mph on desert interstate with not much more that 1000 ft elevation changes.
    Definitely very satisfied with the mpg / performance.
    BTW I keep the LS2's @ 37/35 psi F/R which really helps the cornering and mpg.
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I get good mileage from my 08 Aura 3.5. In San Antonio traffic I average 26-27. If I drive up to Austin, my average has reached 35. Coming back to San Antonio, it averages 32-33. I am very pleased with that kind of mileage. I'm posted an evaporator leak in another topic.
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    I took my first long trip recently, from Pittsburgh to Manassas Va. The car had 5300 miles on it, 37 psi in tires (warm), 55 degrees out, no A/C used. I took the mountain route, lots of up and down grades. I was in 4th and 5th gears climbing the hills and the same gears going downhill to keep off the brakes. I averaged 28.2 MPG over a 181 mile leg under those conditions. My average speed was just under 50 mph. I noticed that the transmission does not shift into 6th gear unless the car is going over 45 MPH. I made extensive use of the manual mode and the tap shifters on the hills. That way I could drop into 5th gear instead of having the auto mode drop into 4th gear from 6th. The result was that for the gentler hills, I never had to go to 4th gear. For the longer or steeper hills, I had to go down to 4th from 5th when appropriate. I was also able to go to 6th sooner than the auto mode would have upshifted me as I crested the hills. I kept forgetting that I had to upshift from the lower gears when in manual mode. A few times, I was stopped at a light in manual mode and the engine rev-ed high when the light changed and I did not upshift. I now put the transmission back into auto mode when I stop.

Needless to say, I was very pleased with the mileage under those unfavorable conditions. On the next leg of the trip (57 miles) using freeways only and traveling 60 - 65 MPH, I averaged 33.6 MPH. I checked my speedometer using my GPS and it was 237.9 miles (car) and 237.2 (GPS). When I hand calculated my mileage, I found that the car's computer over estimated MPG by 3% or about 1 mph too high. Still happy with the results.

On the return trip, I averaged 33.5 MPG on the expressway using the A/C this time, but saw the MPG fall off to 27.3 when I hit two lane highways, traffic and traffic lights (before 3% error reduction).

I expect to get 34 MPG on level uncongested highways and accept that hills, traffic and lights must reduce this figure commensurate with the distance travelled under less favorable conditions.

By comparison, my 2000 Chevy Venture van with a 3.4 - 4spd automatic, rarely hit 30 MPG on the trip computer which always read 5% high or about 1.5 MPG less true mileage. The difference was due to weight, aerodynamics and the engine/transmission efficiencies.

When I feel that my MPG levels off, meaning that my engine is fully broken in, I will switch to synthetic oil to maybe get even better mileage. If you use synthetic too soon, you may not allow the engine to break in sufficiently.
  • hillary4prezhillary4prez Member Posts: 1
    I also would like to know if there is a "stingy" mode. My 4-cyl 08 only gets about 16-18 mpg in town. I've tried driving as gently as possible (getting honks from other drivers).
  • cwr64cwr64 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2008 4cyl XE, 5K miles. Today finished a 2-way trip of 300 miles each way, 1 person aboard, light luggage, 95% on flat interstates at 70mph on cruise control, air temperature at 50-73 degrees. All tires at 30psi per the sticker. Going - 27mpg with premium gas. Returning - 26mpg with mid-grade gas. Calculated mpg - not the trip computer. I am very disappointed.
    CWR 64 - How many miles on your 4 banger? If your under 5000, you'll just have to be ticked off for a while. After 5000 it starts to get better and will reach it's potential after 8000 to 1000 miles.
    Oh yea, You'll need to pump up those tires to at least 35front 34rear to get best mileage. 30 is like running on a flat as far as I am concerned. I run 37 front 35 rear when loaded and on a trip. I get 30+ average on the highway at 80 MPH with my 3.6L XR
    Sorry, Stingy Mode is only available for McCain/Palin supporters. Liberals have to buy premium gas and get under 20 MPG. :D
  • tbran1tbran1 Member Posts: 3
    US EPA rates 4 cyl Aura as 22 City and 33 hwy. US EPA rating is done in a lab on a dyno so is pretty optimistic and that's why few if any get the posted rates. 6 cyl is 17 City/26 hwy. In Real World everyday driving, and with slipstreamfs.com low drag coating on ours, a 4 cyl Aura gets better mileage than the posted EPA rating for a Smart car! Our Aura gets 30 City/45 Hwy @ 60 mph with no load) verified by OBDII reader Scan Guage II.
    US EPA ratings can be found at :http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
  • cwr64cwr64 Member Posts: 2
    I drive easy all the time. My 4cyl gets 31 highway, 21 city, using mid-octane gas, mileage calculated by me. It has 15K miles on it now. I'm not happy with this mileage, but now Saturn is gone and I doubt anyone is reading this blog anymore anyway. If I drive the interstate at more than 60-65mph (even on cruise control), the highway mileage drops like a rock.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    edited July 2011
    cwr64,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I hope this information is beneficial to you:
    The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits. One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual. Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).
    Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty. Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle. Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation. Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.
    Feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
This discussion has been closed.