Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura New Owner Reports

Comments

• dinofdinof Member Posts: 106
    I don't know if this is or will become a problem ; but I have
    noticed that my engine compartment is still warm up to 5 or 6 hours after my engine has been shut off. You can place your hand on the hood and it also is very warm hours later. I know
    that almost all the components and the engine itself are all
    covered and I am wondering if this excessive heat retension will
    eventually destroy vital components such as battery, alternator,
    etc. My temp. guage on the instrument cluster always remains
    in the normal zone....so the engine is not overheating. I live in
    the mountains of NC and it gets fairly cold here, so I'm wondering
    how this heat retension will affect the car in 90 degree summer heat. Anyone else noticed this ?
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I contacted Saturn regarding the rocker panel issue as I refuse to buy the car if defect is not covered...I thought you all would be interested to see the response from the Marketing Support Group:

Saturn Marketing Support has no prior knowledge of this issue with Saturn AURA rocker panels. We recommend that you speak with the service department at your preferred Saturn retailer for their feedback. If there is an issue that arises with the rocker panels separating, this will be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty if it is determined that it is a factory malfunction. If there is a factory recall or special policy issued for this, and repairs have already been made, reimbursement will be addressed at that time. We hope this addresses your hesitation to purchase a Saturn AURA
    You are being fed a line of BS by Saturn Marketing Support !!
    I was in Arbitration with Saturn Headquarters at Spring Hill, Tn.

I won the Arbitration and Saturn was ordered to repair my Vehicle. Saturn then filed an " Impossible to Repair " document
    with the Arbitrator.............claiming the repair required a modification of the vehicle and modifications are NOT covered
    by the Saturn New Vehicle Warranty. You may contact me
    at dinof@carspace.com and I will send you a copy of the document stating it requires a modification and that they are not
    covered by the warranty.
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    I was wondering, again, why they say it would require "MODIFICATION" when there are a lot of them, mine for example, that do not suffer from the separation problem?
    It has to be a MANUFACTURING DEFECT if a few cars have a problem with the seams. welds, or tolerances, and other cars don't.
    Mine are tight.
    Photos on my home page
    http://www.carspace.com/phaetondriver/Albums/Aura%20Rocker%20Panels/
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    Not sure how to contact you via carspace....email me at ESlobodow1@optonline.com. I want Saturn to know they lose customers with this type of BS.
  • weezycomweezycom Member Posts: 8
    I ended up getting a base model 4-cyl. Aura this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't have much opportunity to test drive as many cars as I would have liked because my old car was dying a hasty death. the Saturn dealer was willing to come to terms I could live with and the car is generally appealing to me. Hope I've got a winner. Went with the pewtered bronze (has tan cloth interior), although if a red one had been available, that would have been my first choice.

I'm not as "in love" with the Aura as I have been with my previous new-car purchases, but this is the first time I was forced into replacing a car and not picking one out just for the love of it. But, my love did me wrong with my last choice, so maybe that's just as well.
    I see where your gaps are acceptable.............just what I would expect. If you look at the gaps on my carspace you will notice
    a BIG difference. Is your Aura a 2007 or 2008 ? When was
    it purchased and how many miles are on it ? Mine was purchased in May, 2007 and now has 6100 miles on it. The gaps
    started to appear at aprox. 2800 miles (Aug.,2007).
    Is your Aura a 2007 or 2008 ? When was
    it purchased and how many miles are on it ? Mine was purchased in May, 2007 and now has 6100 miles on it. The gaps
    started to appear at aprox. 2800 miles (Aug.,2007).

Mine is a 2007 XR.. Original sale was Sept 06. I have over 17,000 miles
    I see where the sheetmetal by the tire pressure tag on yours goes way in and mine is straight. Something definitely different between the body on yours compared to my early manufactured one. They must have made a change at the body sheetmetal plant that the plastics producer wasn't told about.
    I also noticed that your rocker panels seemed to have "rolled
    edges", where mine are just straight and flat. I can't really tell
    exactly from the pics, but your panels are what mine should be like. My separations actually appear to be tears instead of
    separations except at the B pillar, which like you say, is indented for some reason on both sides. Thanks for the info !
    The edge of the plastic rocker panel where it meets the sheet metal is a straight cut, no rolled edges. I think that's where you were talking about.
    I bet if you took your rocker panel and put them on my car they would fit exactly the same. From what I can see, the problem is how they put the pieces of sheet metal together. Something has obviously changed form the early production to when your car was built.
    A good body shop could fix that, but it would be very expensive.
    I would probably do one of two things, Sue GM/Saturn for the cost of repair estimate, say $20,000, or fix it myself with some body filler or something and forget it.

Since Saturn filed an unrepairable thing with the courts, You may not have any recourse other than negotiating a full cost trade-in if you could get it.
    If the car is fixed "or modified" by anyone except Saturn, I
    was told it would invalidate my warranty.........because the
    design was modified. A local body shop prepared an estimate
    for Saturn and the total cost to repair/modify the panels was
    $325. However, like I said previously, it will invalidate the
    warranty. Can you believe Saturn would go through this much
    trouble over a $325. repair ? Meanwhile they continue to tell
    prospective customers that they know NOTHING about
    separating rocker panels. No wonder GM is going to hell !!
  • slaplanteslaplante Member Posts: 8
    We checked the fuse and it was fine. Last night, the dash decided to start working again. We own a pontiac grand prix (1998) that has several electrical problems that come and go, I hope this Saturn is not going to be the same way.
    P.S. I also owned a 2006 GMC Envoy that had electrical problems, that is why we got rid of it. Is this a common problem with all GM products? There definitely seems to be a pattern.
    I wont say that this is the fix area for your problem, but worth a look.
    Several Saturn Aura owners have reported strange electrical problem that were traced back to the fuse panel in the trunk, drivers side. This fuse panel was found to be loose or had a wire pinched under the fuse block.
    Pull the panel of the driver side trunk cover and grab the fuse block and see if you can move it. It shouldn't move at all. If it does tell the service manager when you take it is.
    and I haven't had an opportunity to really drive around very much. Iffy weather has kept me at home after the workday ends, but I'm hoping for a break so that I can get around a bit more.

So far, my two biggest quibbles with the car are the steering and the headrests -- and the headrests have been a problem in most of the new cars I've been in. They all push the head too far forward over the angle of the neck and shoulders. At least they could mold a divot into the center so a person's head could nestle in there.

I don't know how to describe the steering, but it's so soft that I can't get a really good road feel through it. With the design of the Aura calling up thoughts of good German sedans, I think Saturn would be well served to incorporate a firmer, sportier feel to the steering of this car as well.

And just a personal preference, I wish this car had been designed with a rear window windshield wiper. When I get some good weather around here, I guess I'll Rain-X the rear window, but a wiper would be great.
    When your driving the seat back should be set at an angle so that your head never comes in contact with the head restraint

That angle, however, sets up deltoid/mid-back strain reaching forward to properly control the steering wheel, and also increases strain on the lower lumbar vertebrae (low back, just above the tailbone). And I'm not talking about resting my head on the restraint -- it's literally being pushed forward when I'm trying to sit up straight. I was cursing the thing the whole way home tonight.

Although it doesn't look cool, a relatively straight-up-and-down "L" position with the head in a balanced, neutral position is the best for the whole spinal column. I haven't been able to accomplish that in this car.
    First, definitely Rain-X the windows. The wipers seem to work twice as good after the treatment. Yea, here is a guy that lives in a desert telling someone else about Rain-X. sounded funny to me when I read what I wrote, but I have used it for a long long time and think it is great.

As for the steering, this is one of those area's that higher tire pressures help a lot. The low profile tires on the XR, when set at 30psi roll over way to far when in a corner and make the car feel soft and "squirmy." As soon as I pumped them up to 38/36 front/rear, that squirminess decreased to almost none. Good tires, like several others have mentioned, like th F1's form Goodyear, make a world of difference in the handling. I guess Saturn wanted the Aura to be more on the side of a Luxo-sedan than a perf-sedan. Tires will make the difference.

A comment on the headrests. What your saying sounded like the restraint was always pushing your head forward, and I find it almost impossible for my head to come in contact with the restraint. I can't imagine how it could be touching my head while driving and almost think that in an accident it wouldn't help me at all. When your driving the seat back should be set at an angle so that your head never comes in contact with the head restraint. It's purpose is to protect your neck in a rear end collision, not something to rest against.

Anyway, play with the tire pressures and see if the handling doesn't improve and the mileage improves, sure did for mine.
    Sounds logical, up to the point of sitting upright like an L.
    But if this is how you need to sit then I think any modern coupe or sedan is going to be a problem for you. My 93 Cady would meet your needs very nicely though.

You may need to try inclining the seatback and raising the seat bottom front till you find an acceptable compromise. Me personally, I am 6 ft tall, and I have no problem finding an angle that works for me and I change it from time to time on long drives.

I hope you can to because this Aura really is a great driver, IMHO :shades:
    So far my longest stint in the drivers seat has been 10 hours. Yea that was a long drive, time wise, because of weather and traffic. It was too long by about 2 hours and was getting uncomfortable. 6 to 8 hours should be fine for most drivers. I can see if someone weighed, say, 250 -300 lbs, they would have a comfort problem with these firm leather seats. I am 200 and feel that if I was about 25 pounds lighter I would have been fine after 10-12 hours.
    Guess I'll have to go on a diet before my next long trip LOL

Good luck
    I'll keep working at it. I am quite persistent. Plus, I have a lease and so my Aura and I are going to be together for several years. Even this morning, my upper shoulders/neck area is sore from a 30 minute drive home. I didn't notice the problem for the first couple of days because I was wearing a coat with a heavy, trimmed hood, and the hood pushed down and padded out the area between my upper back/neck/headrest, so it may be as simple as getting some foam rubber, a bit of fabric, and making a little neck pillow to hang there.

Thanks for the tip about the tires. I wish I had the cash to change them out now, but I'll add some extra air for the meantime.

I found a couple of pictures that help illustrate the L position I was talking about. The first one shows a good alignment. I couldn't find a good picture of the alignment with a person in a seat, but the second image has a headrest angle similar to the Aura's (leftmost) and you can see how much more the seatback is reclined (compared to the first picture) to make the headrest appear vertical.

(edited to add: I haven't got the knack for posting photo links, sorry!)

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Lw2iWlWX8tArEM:http://www.senecapt.com/image- s/car_good_posture.jpg

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:xgBUVRseI-WrrM:http://www.edmunds.com/media/- advice/buying/vehicle.seat.design/active.head.restraint.500.jpg
    I have found an elegantly simple solution to my neck discomfort problem -- I switched the rear headrests with the front ones, and voila! perfection!

Now I can take the time to actually enjoy my new ride :D
    I have found an elegantly simple solution to my neck discomfort problem -- I switched the rear headrests with the front ones, and voila! perfection!

Sounds like an ingenious thing to realize and do. Very good :shades:

Have fun
  • hawksnest1hawksnest1 Member Posts: 9
    I have had numerous problems with my 07 XR, to the point that it's causing me much stress. Noise in the front suspension, base idle that fluctuates from just over 600 rpm to over 800 rpm, noisy starter when its cold, very poor fuel economy, poor trim issues, flimsy door panels, red rusty coloured spots all over the car, arm rest that doesn't lock, car pulls to the left and requires constant correction, poor fit with the rocker panels. I feel like I could go on forever. I'm at the dealership every other week. I've had the car for less that two months.

very dissapointed in this gm product!
    Join the crowd,,,,,,,,,,!! Good luck on getting the dealer to fix anything under warranty. Saturn seems to be the worst car company I have ever dealt with...............but be happy, your
    now a part of the Great Saturn Family ..........(of dissatisified
    customers) .
    In defense.
    I have had my 07 Aura XR since March 07. It was built in Sept 06.
    I have almost 18000 miles on it. The only problem it has ever had is the rattling of the sun roof sliding shade when it is all the way back.
    That puts it at 99.99% fault free.
    It gives me 28 MPG average on long highway trips and 20 in town. It has done over 30 MPG on two trips up I-5 in central California.

I am sorry some have had problems, but that by no means indicates that all Saturns have problems. I doubt they have any more issues than any other make in the same price range.

So some of you know a lot of people migrate to these sites just because they have a problem and people that have no troubles at all don't participate.

And, No I don't work for nor have I ever worked for GM/Saturn
    Yes, I agree that the Auras built in late 2006 do not seem to have
    any problems, or they have very minor ones. My Aura was built
    in January of 2007 and it must have included some modifications because it seems like all the later built Auras are having problems. ( Maybe it was due to a very cold winter in Kansas..............LOL ). Not only are the earlier Auras more
    reliable, but they do not seem subject to the rocker panel separations either. Whatever was changed in early 2007
    has caused many flaws on an otherwise good car. :cry:
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    people that have no troubles at all don't participate

You bring up a good point, Phaetondriver. I'll chime in and say that I've had my 07 Aura XR since late August, have about 4300 miles on it, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. I understand it's not a perfect car, and agree with issues like the door panel trim being plain, etc. With the discounts I received, however, I paid anywhere from $4000-$6000 less than a comparibly equipped Accord, Camry, or even Altima, and got a car that essentially matches their features, performance, and comfort. And Saturn often offers discounts, as they are now with the President's Day sale.
    I reside in Ontario Canada and they don't practically give away cars here as they do in the States. We pay good money for our cars here.

I expect more from any vehicle that i'm paying over 33000 for.

I also expect more from general motors, who claims that they are making better vehicles. Then people wonder why they are constantly losing market share and laying off workers. They need to infuse some of the Japanese culture in their manufacturing processes. The Japanese take their products very seriouslyand it shows, they always have, and if it wasn't for the import companies competing with GM, they would probably be making far worse vehicles than they are making today.

Thank God for competition!
  • ralphtrentralphtrent Member Posts: 1
    My wife just picked up her 08 Aura XE (V6) last night. She noticed that the brake pedal is higher (closer to the driver) then the gas pedal. She's used to being able to just slide her foot from right to left to go from gas to brake, but she can not do that here. Is this normal for this car? She does not have adjustable pedals.

Thanks.
    Just wondering if your Aura Rocker Panels are separating or
    developing large gaps ?
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I have not noticed any gaps in my rocker panels.
    Good...........that proves it is a manufacturing flaw and not a
    design defect. That should make Rocker Panel repairs
    a warrantied item and therefore eligible for repair by SATURN .
    Absolutely. The panels don't appear to be secured well to the body of the car.
  • bob919344bob919344 Member Posts: 29
    I too have a 2007 Aura XR with only 7800 miles on it..

The front end sounds like its going to fall off when i hit any type of road bump or just about anything !! Sounds like struts are bad or bad CV joints to me !!
    Highway mileage is great.....town stinks !!!!! highway gets about 27+ , town only 17 average. thats not too good to me, my Caddy i turned in for this got better mileage.
    Interior is what it is.....a Saturn by GM " Cheep and flimsy and plastic " also the arm rest is so cheep and flimsy too

not sure if i will ever get another one after this lease is up ??
  • texvettetexvette Member Posts: 12
    The front end noise is likely the grille/panel assy in the front, mine did the same thing and dealer corrected the problem.... as far as fuel economy..... regarding fuel economy,,,,, raise your tire pressure 2 pounds and you should get a 10% improvement..... I would also be interested in what vehicles in this price class do not use plastic... most of which is 'flimsy'.... I looked at Camry, Accord, Subaru, and all had the same attributes.... I have had the dash apart on mine to install some electronics, and must say the underpinnings of hte dash are substantial.. and the use of the electronics bus strucutre for the radio and other accessories is very advanced.
    have discovered the first reason to take my Aura back to the dealer. The trip odometers won't reset. I've held that reset button down, once for 2 minutes, and no change. All the info is feeding into it correctly, as far as I can tell, for mileage, mpg, tire pressures, etc., but I can't get the reset to work.

Has anyone had this problem?
  • steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    Yes similar. I have noticed on two occasions, the Trip will zero itself.
  • steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    another update:

Well it did it again. I'm cruising at about 60 mph on Hwy 17 in GA and look at my speedo and it says I'm going 120 mph!

The next day I took it in and they are going to replace the "instrument cluster". So now i wait for them to order and receive it, then i have to take it back in for them to do the work.
    and I'm finding some other quibbles/dislikes with the car. Overall, it's fine, but this really is an arranged marriage and not a love match.

They really need to put a rear windshield wiper on future models. The slant on the back window is too shallow for a quick runoff of precip, and that can really be a problem when dealing with ice and snow.

I miss the sport-tuned suspension of my previous car immensely. Even after six weeks, the ride on this one doesn't provide enough feedback through the wheel and feels rather boat-ish in the corners.

Either put this 4-cyl. engine in the Astra, or make a wagon version of the Aura. The fold-down pass-through on the rear seats is so squished and the trunk opening so shallow that the feature isn't sufficiently usable, but the Astra (where the fold-down and wide opening are wonderfully usable) is under-powered for a sporty wagon.

Get rid of the stupid auto unlock feature when the car is put in park. As a single woman in an urban area, I don't want that car door unlocking until I make that decision. An opportunist that knows the feature can reach in and grab my purse and make a getaway, or get in the car unwanted. I imagine moms with youngsters too big for a car seat may not want them to be able to shoot out of the car when they pull up to some destinations as well. Gotta say, that has to be an idea thought of by a guy engineer. And it's NOT AT ALL a good one from this woman's POV.

Needs an easily replaceable face plate under the ignition to keep swinging keys from eventually scraping up that section of dash.

Good points:
    decent mileage -- I'm getting a bit over 20 on a highway/city mixed driving about 40/60 split on regular gas.
    Good interior room.
    Console controls are pretty easy to move through (I'd like the fan/flow choices situated a little higher on the center console).
    You can program the lock/unlock feature yourself through
    the DIC (Driver Information Center ) . This feature is easily
    disabled. Check your owner's manual for instructions.
    I find applying Rain-X to the windows eliminates the need for wiper blades. Even a good rain, when @ 70 mph, the water clears so fast the wipers are only for looks.

Sport suspension??? you must have an xe or greenline. The XR suspension works fantastic as long as the tires are inflated over recommended. The OEM tires at 30 psi are like sponges and make the whole car ride like it is on a foam rubber road.
  • georgiaxrgeorgiaxr Member Posts: 4
    Bought a leftover '07 XR a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with the vehicle. Only problem so far was warped brake rotors at less than 100 miles. In all fairness, the vehicle was built in 11/06 so it is nearly 1.5 yrs. old, so some of these things are bound to happen.. Also has a vibration which is likely out of balance tires. Overall mileage in the first 600 miles has been around 20-21 mpg in mostly city driving. I have seen as high as 28 on a 30 mile freeway trip. Changed out the cloth interior (ugly) for a beautiful aftermarket leather interior (Classic Soft Trim) that was available from the Saturn retailer. No major complaints about the vehicle and it seems to have features that compare favorably to cars costing over $30k! I truly believe this car is price $3-4k under the market. I'll post updates as the vehicle breaks in.
    Keep a watch on the underdoor rocker panels and please advise
    if you start to see separations or large gaps betwwen the panels
    and steel body. :lemon:
  • georgiaxegeorgiaxe Member Posts: 3
    On 2/20/08, I leased and 08' Aura XE. According to the selling dealer, it was delivered to them in August 08'. I have had it in for service three times already, the first visit was on 2/25/08 - 5 days after delivery with only 183 miles on it. On the first service visit all for brakes were replace when I claimed pulsation when braking - paperwork claimed rust on friction surface. A wheel alignment was performed because of a left pull and all four wheel balanced because of vibration.

Still had vibration, left pull and a steering issue. Second visit with only 507 miles on it. All four tires and one rim replaced because of radial runout. Intermediate steering shaft was replaced as it was contacting with the steering gear,

Third trip to an alternate Saturn dealer claimed the alignment was in negative range and readjusted to positive after I still complained of left pull. Tires rebalanced because of continued vibration.

Although the left pull has been corrected, the vibration in the seats and steering wheel continue. The car does not handle cornering or curves very well either. The service manager think I'm nuts and is giving me a hard time with a loaner to bring it in again.

Car design is very nice but mechanically it is a nightmare and the service is even worse. I have driven GM's all my life, but doubt I will after this lease.

Is it possible the tire replacements have gone bad again or could there be a powertrain problem?
    Mistype of dealership delivery date - should be August of 07' not 08' Sorry.
  • tracyvtracyv Member Posts: 3
    I have had all the same problems including the dealership attitude. I would suggest pushing the issues with Saturn directly. That is the only way things got done for me. I love the rust on the brakes explanation, they told me I wash my car too much !!!
  • georgiaxrgeorgiaxr Member Posts: 4
    To answer your question, yes I do have gapping of the rocker panels on both sides of my XR that was built in 11/06. I'll have to address this with the selling dealer. Two thoughts: it appears the sheet metal was cut a bit short (1/8-1/4") and they appear not to have been sealed. Therefore, I'm eventually concerned about rust. Car now has about 1,400 miles. Mileage is still improving and the engine is breaking in wonderfully! Love the car, just need to address the topic above and a slight but steady light vibration (probably the tires). I'll advise when fixed.
    I have pushed this issue with Saturn directly. It's going in for service again. I'll post the outcome. The "wash your car too much" comment was enlightening and the opposite of one I received from the service department. They claimed I must have an abundance of mud in the wheel wells causing vibration. I guess I don't wash my car enough!
    I have news for you. Saturn considers the rocker panel gaps to
    be a design defect and as such they are not covered by the warranty. I went thru Arbitration with the BBB and Saturn and
    won my case. The Arbitrator ordered Saturn to repair the panels.
    Saturn Corp. countered with an "Impossible to Repair " document
    to the Arbitrator and I was told that if I repaired the rocker panels
    myself, it would be considered a "modification" of the vehicle and
    would invalidate my warranty. So, get used to the gaps. :lemon:
    Saturn as always advertised they are a 'different kind of car company'....
    I took my XR to the Saturn dealer as it shifts very hard with a 'clunk' and slight slippage when you are under torque in 6th gear going up a hill, under light acceleration... they told me it passed all the diagnostics, did not show any codes... they road tested it, then compared it to another XR... seems they encountered the same phenom.. and tech thought is was abnormal, until they found that the other new ones on the lot did the same thing.. now it is merely 'characteristic' of an Aura XR and they did nothing more.

I am not at all unhappy with the car... fun to drive, reasonable fuel economy for the HP.. BUT... I will never buy anything from Saturn again. I have always purchased GM vehicles, and have had similar maladies with other vehicles,, but GM always made things right..... but Saturn 'is a different kind of car company'... if the car has a design defect... the consumer just lives with it.... as they will not take responsibility.

I will trade when the '09's come out.. but won't be a Saturn!