Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura New Owner Reports

1235»

Comments

• dinofdinof Member Posts: 106
    I definitely agree with your assessment of Saturn as " a different
    kind of car company" .

They have not only lost my future business, but also that of my
    children and grandchildren. 3 generations of future customers
    who will despise the words "SATURN Automobiles" . I'll make
    sure to teach them well. :lemon:
    "RETHINK SATURN "

A very appropriate slogan; however what it really means is

" THINK BEFORE YOU BUY A SATURN "
  • winterescapewinterescape Member Posts: 5
    I posted this over at SaturnFans but thought some here might like to read it also...

I have owned my 2008 Saturn Aura 4CYL for just over 100 days now and thought I would post a few features the car has that I especially appreciate. Feel free to add to my list things you have noticed.

Computer start: If you bump the key to start the car for 100ms or hold it for 1 minute the car starts and the starter will not grind. If you push the key to start after the engine is running it will not command the starter to engage. No missing teeth from the flywheel, no broken starters, just perfection every time. Wow!

Speed sensitive volume: The radio volume adjusts up and down depending on the speed of the car, I know this feature has been around for a while on GM cars, just the first one I have owned that had it, and I have grown to really appreciate it.

Perfect balance of the rotating masses and balance shafts. I do not pretend to understand how GM accomplished this but there is no vibration in this vehicle. If you drive 60MPH, 70MPH, or well north of the speed limit, this car is silky smooth. No engine vibration, no tire vibration, no wheel vibration, and no steering wheel vibration, unbelievable.

Daytime running lamps and automatic headlights: Come on, what are all the other manufacturers waiting for? NHTSA or Congress to make it law??

Shift interlock: You cannot accidentally shift to reverse while driving. I frequently shift to neutral while coasting and the button interlock on the shifter keeps me from accidentally pushing the shifter too far and hitting reverse. Why did all the transmission shops around here go out of business?

Different EQ programs: Depending on if you are playing a CD with MP3’s or the radio the stereo will store your preferred EQ for each, nice…

The Gauge check: I know it has been mentioned on the forums many times but the sweep the gauges do at start up and the way the back lighting softly comes up to level just has that look of luxury.

Quiet: The sound deadening, the double laminated glass, the rigid suspension, and the extra attention to the Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. It all comes together to make this one exceptionally quiet vehicle, and I purchased this car for under $20K??

Speed sensitive wipers: Nice safety feature, well done.

Driver Information center: Ice possible, cruise engaged, oil life remaining, outside temp, tire pressure, etc… aren’t software algorithms fantastic? Anybody want to venture a guess at how much money all the Aura owners have saved in unnecessary oil changes to date?

Auxiliary input jack: hours and hours of MP3’s, anyone want to buy a 2 foot by 2 foot case of cassette tapes?

And so many other features that just seem to be table stakes to the mid sized sedan market today. Four wheel disc brakes, 6 Air bags, virtually maintenance free, etc…
    Funny, but you seem to sound like a Saturn car sales man :-)

Nice of you to praise the car so ( ?? ) .
  • georgiaxrgeorgiaxr Member Posts: 4
    I had to work the Atlanta Autoshow last week and went by the Saturn booth and looked at 2 Auras. Both of them still were showing the rocker panel gaping present on my 07. By the way, the metallic black under the show lights was spectacular!
    Yes, the gaps/separations are a defect that Saturn has chosen
    to ignore until the 2010 model year comes on line as the next Gen. Aura. It will be a rebadged Opel Insignia according to Motor Trend Magazine. :sick:
    I hope Saturn doesn't screw up the next Gen. Aura the way
    they have done to the current models 07 thru 08/9. Hopefully by
    2010 they will have found a better way to secure the rocker panels..........like making them a part of the steel body instead
    of a pair of clip-on plastic pieces of junk. :mad:
  • nicerideniceride Member Posts: 3
    We purchased an 08 Aura XE a few months ago,
    I personally like the factory grill. What i did was to buy and install 1/4 thick roll of Roll-a-Chrome that i bought at at Auto Zone and cut to length an attach/stick it to all the lower grill bars...looks great !
    Along with the double gold pinstripping that i added to the pewter bronze paint. I also added 7 Saturn emblems to the car that I bought on e bay. one on each inside door panel +1 on each side outside behind small side windows plus one next to the shift lever + 2 v-6 emblems to the leading edge of the front fenders. Also had 3 soft arm rest pads made to attach to center and side armrests.........their much softer then original
    Even the dealer said it has a great look not at all gaudy and looks like something Saturn should have done
    PICS UPON REQUEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I sure would like to see some pics of that car.
    If possible please send to :

dinof@carspace.com

Thanks.....................the car really does need some
    added sparkle bits..............LOL. :)
  • flsaturnflsaturn Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Saturn Aura XE in July 2007, so it's 1 year old, and I'm not very happy with it at the moment. About two weeks after I bought it, I discovered that the trunk, where the spare tire is, was filling up with water. And, when driving, I could take my hands off the wheel, and I'd start veering to the right. And, one morning, I couldn't start the car, so I thought the battery was dead. Luckily my husband had the good idea to move the gear shift out of park and back into park, and that got the car started. So we took it in to the dealer ship for all of those problems. The alignment wasn't fixed, but I lived with it. Later on, my husband rotated my tires, which helped a lot.

Fast forward a year, and my brakes started making horrific noises, so my husband took the brake pads off to inspect them and found that one was cracked and another was crumbling apart. Then I notice that my rear tail lights fogged up under the plastic cover. So again it goes back to the dealership. Those idiots tried to tell my husband nothing was wrong with the brakes (they hadn't even removed them), that they were making noise because they were metallic, so my husband made the guy REMOVE the brake pads and he had to show the mechanic the cracks.

They did replace all the brakes and they are ordering new tail light covers. Apparently Saturn sent out bulletins to the dealerships warning them about the light covers, so that seems to be a common problem.

In 1999 I bought a brand new Chevy Cavalier and have not had this many defects in the entire life of the car - I still have that car. Sure, it's had it's wear and tear problems, but this Saturn is only a year old. It should be performing better than it is.
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    08 Aura 3.5. Three times my right rear floorboard was flooded with water. It starts from the center underneath the front seat to the back. Looked around for leaks from sunroof and doors but couldn't figure it out. Dealer says it's the evaporator (they had another Aura with the same problem). They have had it in the shop for 2 weeks. I went to check on it and couldn't believe what I saw. The entire interior was gutted...no dash, no steering column, no carpet, no seats. They had to do all that to replace the evaporator and I don't know what else. I told them I hope they can put it back together and not have a single squeak or rattle. Other than this, I LOVE my car. 26-27 in town mileage (San Antonio), and up to 35 mpg on a road trip. Has anyone else had this evaporator leak problem? BTW, while mine is in the shop, they have another Aura sitting next to it with the same problem.
    Probably the leaks are a result of gaps or separations of the
    under door rocker panels. A problen that Saturn refuses to
    acknowledge . Check to see if your Rocker panel are attached
    properly with no large gaps near the B pillar, which allows water to enter when driving in heavy rain or after going through a car
    wash !! ( of course you may have the other problem also.) :(
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    I have read several posts on the SaturnFans website of people having the same problem. It is the evap/drain hose. It wasn't installed properly and channels in the floor direct the condensation into the interior. Some, in high humidity areas end up with both front and rear foot wells on the passenger side flooded.
    The only way to fix it is as you have seen. Every other post I have read says they gutted the interior and pulled the dash.
    Sorry.
    Those of us that live in the desert could have the same evap/drain problem and never know it,
    I live in the high, humid mountains of North Carolina (3500Ft)
    and so far have not had this problem. Could it be something
    related to the model year 08; my car is an XR 2007 ??

Only problem I have encountered in nearly 2 years of ownership
    is the rocker panel separation problems.
    After they put it all back together, I haven't had any water problem since. The only problem was a squeaking noise. Finally discovered that the "chrome" trim around the PRNDIL area was not tight. It was loose because the techs apparently broke one of the tabs that fastens it. No biggy. But I'm very happy with my Saturn. The gas mileage (the way I drive) is phenomenal.
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    I just bought a used 2007 AURA XR-love the car! Just one small issue: the little plactic cap on the center console came off (the catch)-so I glued it back on. Does anyboy know how to set the lights so that the dome lights (I have a sunroof) come on whe you hit the unlock key? That is the only problem I have!
  • aj24aj24 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced the horribe nasty smell coming from your air vent when air conditioner is on? Also, whats the deal with the noice from the brakes. Does the warranty cover brakes or is this considered required maintenance like an oil change. I have a 2007 aura.
    I noticed the thumpin sound turning my wheel at times, but I thought it may be normal. My main issue was the nasty smell coming from my vents while using my air, so when I took it in for that, they replaced my steering shaft. I could tell the difference to. It drove a lil stiff, but felt good. This I understand was a universal problem.
  • hawksnest1hawksnest1 Member Posts: 9
    describe the brake noise
  • ruby1wonruby1won Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if anyone responded to you yet, funny my console piece came off too, what kind of glue do you think they use lol. Anyhow I had to program my alarm and lights thru my information button on the steering wheel. Hope that helps
    Is anyone experiencing a sqeeling sound mainly upfront with their brakes. I don't even have 16,000 miles on my 07 Aura EX. I've been told my brakes and pads were good, but to get rid of the noise I needed to resurface rotors. Another brake shop offered to change pads out. Is this possible to be experiencing this noise so soon. Do I really need brakes? Also, what the hell is warranted on this car?!
  • dbostondriverdbostondriver Member Posts: 559
    I was drunk when I bought this POS. Should I pour water in the gas tank, crash it into a snow bank, or set it on fire? I would leave it in a bad neighborhood with the keys to hope it gets stolen but no one will steal a Saturn. :lemon:
    LOL, I feel your pain this vehicle is so poorly built it's not funny. I am currently going through the arbitration process to get GM to buy back my piece of @&$)(;! We don't have a lemon law in Canada.
  • dbostondriverdbostondriver Member Posts: 559
    Thanks. If you throw in the bailout, I really bought one and a half.
    I was looking at my wipers (2007 AURA XR), and it looks like there is a blade pointed up. Can you rotate the arm, so as to use the blade which is pointed up?
    Or this this some wierd design that will cost me $100/refill blade?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    The warranty will cover resurfacing the front rotors. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise and if they do than call the Saturn Customer Service Center at 800-553-6000. My dealer resurfaced my rotors for brake noise and I haven't had a problem since.
  • tbran1tbran1 Member Posts: 3
    Bought this for my wife after her 2006 Saturn Ion (50 k flawless miles ). 3k miles so far and this car is also flawless. Wife loves it ...(she says more than me)... turns heads wherever we go in "Ocean Mist" color...( wife says it's her) ... of course I have learned not to argue.
    I've had my 2008 Aura XE almost 2 years now. It has been great (40K miles). No problems. It has the sunroof, premium alloys, and what I think is called 10-way power seat. The only annoyance is the black door armrest panels. The surface layer nicks and some peeling. But I'm taking care of that. I just ordered a OEM woodgrain kit to cover it. It also comes with other pieces that I probably won't use. I saw someone else's Aura where they did the same thing. It looks great. I have the V6 and the mileage is very impressive....25 around town and as much as 35 on the highway.
    I finally got rid of that piece of crap through an arbitration award and
    then got into an 09 G8 that is now at the dealership with the engine in pieces
  • seniorsruleseniorsrule Member Posts: 6
    I'm so sorry, Hawksnest1
    I just got rid of my 07 AURA XE for a 2007 VUE. I hope it lasts me a long, long time. It has 44,000 miles on it; and seems to be in great shape. I made sure I took out the agreement for 48 months bumper to bumper; now I hear Saturn is going out; but someone has to honor the maintenance agreement.
    Cars are a royal pain.
  • sr71sr71 Member Posts: 8
    So all of the Saturn dealers will be closed down soon. The warrantee is to be handled by select GM dealer ships. I called a Chevy dealer near me and got a negative reply. (Were not working on those things) Yikes! Not good news.
    I have a 2007 Aura XR. I love the car-one problem, however. The passenger side seatbelt sensor is intermittently failing-it goes off when nobody is sitting in the seat. The sensor has been replaced 3 times, and I am not about to pay for another attempt (the car is out of warranty).
    Can I simply disconnect it (or disconnect the chime module)?
    Frankly, this is ridiculous-if you are too stupid to use your seatbelt, it is your problem.
    However, I am concerned that disconnecting the seat sensor might disable the airbag. :confuse:
  • fishnmanfishnman Member Posts: 1
    For 2 and 1/2 years my Aura got great gas mileage. Then in about April of 2009 it went to hell. There are time when I get as low as 11 mpg in town and 18 to 20 on the highway. The dealer did 2 test drives and said they got 29 mpg highway.

I occasionally get good results also but generally bad.

Also getting some surging in power. Sudden bursts of speed and then poor power. RPM fluctuating.

Anyone having this problem?? I am getting the run around from the dealer and corporate.
  • zillafirezillafire Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2007 Saturn Aura XR for over 3 years now, and it is complete junk. It is the worst built car I have ever owned. I have had the steering rack fail (I couldn't turn left), left rear brake caliper was manufactured incorrectly allowing all of the brake fluid to leak out (that was one scary panic stop), transmission was manufactured incorrectly (reverse randomly engaged, 3rd, 5th, and 6th gears would not fully engage. Reverse issue nearly killed a pedestrian, top gear issues kept gas mileage in the mid to high teens on the highway, dealers took over 1 year to admit to problem, when I presented video evidence), The catalytic converters became clogged at 47,000 miles and had to be replaced, the radio stopped working (a wire somehow shredded behind the dash).

I can't get rid of this garbage. When I called GM to ask about repurchasing the car or giving some kind of renumeration, I was told I should have purchased an extended warranty. So, I infer, and I you should as well: GM builds horrible cars, so you better buy the extended warranty, or else you will need to pay for the repairs and the rental car that your neighbors think you own.
  • stacey1018stacey1018 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2008 Saturn Aura for 3 years now and I love it. There are a couple of minor interior things that are much to be desired though. The buttons on the steering wheel-the black material is starting to come off on the buttons that I use the most. Also on the driver side door, the black material is starting to peel off where you rest your arm. Is anyone else having this issue? Is this something that would have been covered under warranty?
    These items should be covered if you have less than 3 yrs and 36,000
    miles on your odometer. I have a 2007 Aura XR and my car is not showing this type of wear as yet . Try protecting those areas with a product such
    as Macguires Interior Protectant for all surfaces . It may save you from
    further damage.