Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Infiniti M35

pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
wanted to start a thread where people could post information about next year's model. Last year we heard lots of rumors about Infiniti trademarking M37, which suggests that rather than just putting the VQ engine from the G into next year's M, they may put in a larger version. Also, Infiniti continues to take hits over gas mileage. Maybe 08 will be the year that we finally get a six speed automatic and other refinements to help mpg while maintaining performance.

Comments

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    pearl,

Regarding "get a six speed automatic and other refinements to help mpg while maintaining performance", I don't disagree with improved mileage, and that could also lead to reduced engine revs at highway speeds.

But in my own expereince with BMWs, I found you get improved performance with a 6 speed versus 5 speed automatic, at least in responsiveness.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Bruce, I agree. The benefit of a six speed is that it gives you high enough gears (numerically) to enable quick acceleration, but then sixth gear is low enough (overdrive) to provide lower rpms for highway cruising and better mpg. So far, Infiniti seems to have chosen to use a high (numerically) rear axle ratio, AND a five speed auto trans with high numerical gears, meaning you get lots of torque multiplication for acceleration in just about any gear including fifth - the drawback is that you end up cruising at something like 3000 rpm at 70, when most of the competition is 2500 or less. A six speed should provide better mpg but not hurt lower gear acceleration ((there is a lot more to this subject, but all else equal, what I just wrote is true)).
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    So, is it the general belief that the 08 M35X will have a different engine that the current model, regardless whether it is a 3.7 or 3.5? I am looking to purchase the car however, I would prefer to wait until fall if more HP is on the way.
    While I don't think there has been anything official put out yet, Infiniti replaced the 3.5L VQ engine in the G this year with an improved version that puts out more horsepower and is slightly more fuel efficient. Many people on these boards wondered why they didn't also put it into the 07 M? We don't know, but some months back, someone posted that they had learned that Infiniti had trademarked the designator "M37", so of course the speculation started that they would use an engine of this displacement in the 08 M. Obviously, none of us know yet; however, the competition is starting to run away from Infiniti in terms of gas mileage, power and more advanced auto transmissions, so it seems at least possible that we will see some changes for 08.
  • kalskals Member Posts: 4
    I don't see how the new V6 in the 07 G is going to make that much of a difference in performance and fuel economy in the M. What the wonderful VQ series V6 engine lacks is low end torque. Does anyone think Infiniti might go to a CVT transmission like Nissan has in the Altima. This would offer better performance and economy.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    No idea on the cvt. They do seem to be able to scale up the design to handle more power than they used to, but there seems to be a limitation when it comes to all-wheel drive. I know that Audi offered it, but only on their front-wheel drive models. Haven't followed it close enough to know if they've changed, or even if it is still available. They do offer this transmission on the 270HP 3.5L in the ALtima.
  • buddybradbuddybrad Member Posts: 36
    I don't think adding a CVT tranny is instant improved gas milage. It all depends how the engineers "set it up" like with final drive ratios on conventional transmissions. The idea of a CVT on an M doesn't excite me. Considering Lexus is up to an 8 speed auto tranny, Infiniti is a few behind.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I have a 2006 M35X and the problem is the gearing. No high powered car should be turning 2500 RPM at 60 MPH in the highest gear, or 2800 RPM at 70. Adding one or two longer gears would address this issue. RPM's should typically be 1500-1700 at 60, and remain under 2000 at 70. I believe the difference in fuel economy would be substantial, without sacrificing performance.

Regarding CVT's, I have experience with 2 CVT's. I had a 2003 Murano with the first gen CVT, and I also have a 2006 Lexus RX400h which has the Toyota CVT. The main advantage of the CVT is that it "locks up" at much lower speeds than a conventional transmission. I believe the Murano's torque converter locked up as slow as 10 MPH, while a typical multi gear tranny does so above 30-35 MPH.

The M's fuel economy is embarrassing for such a technologically advanced vehicle.
  • buddybradbuddybrad Member Posts: 36
    You're right, the M35 and probably the M45 should have much better gas mileage. I believe they could achieve it by tweaking the computer and changing out the final drive ratio to something higher. 5 speeds with the 5th being overdrive is easy to get 2,000 rpm at 60 mph out of.

I have a '71 Buick with 350 4bbl and 3-speed transmission and I can get in the high teens cruising at 70 mph. It has a 3.08 rear end.
    I get in the low 20's on my M35x at a steady 70-75 or so using the cruise on an interstate. I average around 19 or so in my 40 mile commute unless the traffic backs up. The traffic is often running between 70 and 80. The car could get probably considerably higher mileage if the top gear was higher. Someone else mentioned running the transmission in Manual mode which can help. They have the transmission programmed to downshift at the slightest provocation. Putting it in M, means that you control that. Fine on an interstate, but maybe not for stop and go traffic. Try it and see what you think.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some posts have been moved to a more appropriate discussion. Here's the link: blov8r, "M35/M45 and Bluetooth" #147, 4 Mar 2007 9:16 am. Let's continue there.
    I was browsing through the latest issues of the car mags over the weekend. In one of the write-ups on the new G series coupe, it mentioned the 3.7 liter V-6 engine would find its way into the M35.

Has anyone heard anything further about upgrading the engine in the M35, perhaps for the 2008 model year? If so, any idea whether Infiniti will offer a 6-speed automatic?

Thanks
    Bruce
    I saw in Road and Track magazine that the new 2008 G coupe will have the 3.7 liter engine, however I did not see anywhere that it will carry over to the M. Has anyone else heard anything? I test drove a 2007 M35X a while back and I liked it a lot. Although, I wouldn't mind a little more power. I did not spend any time on the highway with the car so I am greatly concerned about what I hear from many posts that the car revs too high in 5th (over 3000 rpm at 70MPH. This is unacceptable. My Honda Pilot with 240 horsepower revs around 2200 at 80MPH. I used to have a 1991 Honda Prelude that revved high in 5th. The noise on a trip from Pittsburgh to Chicago (8hrs) would beat me up so much that I finally got rid of the car for this reason. The Infiniti is supposed to be a luxury car in addition to being a sport sedan. If a 50K luxury car can't provide a similar level of comfort on a long trip as my pilot does I don't want it. So I hope they change the engine and do something with the 5th gear, perhaps add an extra one. Infiniti I hope you are listening!!!
    someone reported that Infiniti has trademarked "M37". Since they now have a 3.7L engine, it follows that at some point, it is likely that this engine, or some variation, will show up in the M. 2008 models is a good guess, but we do not know for sure.
    ocim,

I stopped by the newsstand this evening. The mention of the new 3.7 engine possibly going into the M was in the May issue of Motor Trend, page 56, first paragraph (which is a continuation from the previous page).

Bruce
  • towermantowerman Member Posts: 12
    I'm in the throws of finalizing purchase of my M35 sport and I've been asking everybody when the 2008 will arrive and what's new. I'm pretty sure the engine will stay the same and only minor "feature" options will arrive. For instance, only XM radio (not Sirius) will be installed and it will be standard equipment. I understand 2009 will bring a new body and the 3.7L engine will come in the M35 (M37?). My question is when will 2008's really arrive?
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I would thoroughly expect that engine to be in the M as well as the G ... simple economics. Why have two different engines (and everything that goes along with them) in two lines of the same breed? While I love horsepower and torque, I'd be just as happy with a 5th or 6th gear to lower the hiway revs and conserve fuel without sacrificing performance.

Bart :shades:
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    if you are right about the changes coming in the 2009 model, then you should be asking about when the 2009's will become available. A 2008 M with the same engine and transmission will be a non player in the market and the 2009's will be announced VERY early when Nissan realizes their mistake.
  • stevenc56stevenc56 Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know when the switch over happens between ordering a 2007 and 2008? My wife and I are talking with our local dealer about ordering an M35 Sport and figure if they can order a 2008 soon we will just hold off a bit. :confuse:
  • towermantowerman Member Posts: 12
    I just picked up my 2007 M35 Sport and they told me 2008 won't be in until September. If you can find a 2007 you want in stock with the options you want in the color you want you can get the car at Invoice - -I'd think that will be harder to pull off with the 2008's.
    The dealer indicates there will be a fair number of changes to the M-series for 2008, with maybe the biggest in the M45x. Said more aggressive styling and new wheels.
    The car doesn't need more aggressive styling and new wheels....it needs a more powerful engine and a new transmission. Sounds like Infiniti is going to try to keep the M the same year to year with the usual nothing worthwhile changes....a new taillight, new wheels.

That won't work for me...if that's all they do, then when my lease is up, I'll be in some other car for the next lesae
    james27,

When you mention M45x, does that mean Infiniti is coming out with AWD for the V-8? Or did you mean to say M35x?

Thanks
    Bruce
    For the two-plus years this M has been on the market the biggest complaint that has been posted over and over again is the transmission ... need for a 5th, even 6th gear. There's plenty of power in this 2-ton car to push it along with the rest of the competition but the tranny lacks a highway "overdrive" gear to decrease the high speed rpm's and improve fuel economy.

By way of comparison, I just rented a 36' RV for a weekend with a Ford V-10 ... it had an OD gear and at 65 mph was turning a mere 2500 rpm. Bart :(
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    But was it the diesel or the gas V10? And the M does have a 5th gear, doesn't it? :confuse:

To the guy that said it needs more power, I don't think I've read a single post that it was underpowered in V6 or V8 form; though, the V8 could use some more juice simply for appearances. The 550i and E550 have 360HP and 382HP, respectively. But the M45 is still competitive against the A6 4.2.
    V-8, all wheel drive model M45x.
    An AWD V-8 would be very interesting, and broaden the playing field.

I've been looking at the new 535Xi, and an M45x would be a more attractive alternative to me than the M35x.

Does the M45 with auto have the same issue some have raised with the M35 auto regarding high engine revs at highway speed?

Thanks
    Bruce
    No clue...see if you can find a talkative dealer, or wait a little longer to see what the magazines say.
    It was the gas V-10. My M35 revs the same at 65. Bart
  • plinaplina Member Posts: 61
    Infiniti has to do something for 2008 they can't have a G sedan and G coupe with mre horsepower than the M35/45.
    I mileage in NYC is a dismal 9 MPG and at $3.59 A gallon they are in deep trouble with me. MY lease is up in 4/08 and I better see some changes, this is my 4th Infiniti and I dealt with the bad mileage when it was around 2 bucks a gallon I didn't care but when I spend $70 for a full tank and only get 200 miles the buck stops here.
    They will sell few M's if they don't improve the horsepower and mileage, I want a 7 speed tranny.
    horrendous gas mileage by Infiniti was one of the main reasons I did not buy one - instead buying a BMW. Infiniti needs to get off the "we can make our 3.5L go faster than yours by transmission and final gear ratios" kick. They may be fast, but they suck gas, and the kudos for those days are over. If the 08 M does not have some salutes to gas mileage, via a SIX speed auto, or other efficiencies, in this econo environment, they will become an asterisk. EVERY other auto manufacturer understands this.
    I've enjoyed every minute of the 2+ years I've had my M but I'll not get another unless the gearing issue is resolved and respectable fuel economy improves. I can afford the fuel ... all of us who sprung for $53K cars can ... but it's an annoyance and Infiniti's arrogance NOT to address those issues has me looking another direction when this lease is up. I may even go hybrid! Bart :(
    Infiniti have released info on the 08 M. Same engine and transmission. Here is a cut and paste. For the full go to nissannews.com:

For 2008, the Infiniti M receives major upgrades that include the first-ever availability of Infiniti’s intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system on the 4.5-liter V8-powered M45. The new model, designated M45x, joins the M35x to provide buyers with two choices in all-climate AWD performance.

Other enhancements for 2008 include revised interior and exterior styling and added luxury amenities and technologies, including the production debut of Infiniti’s newest safety technology, the Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system. LDP takes Infiniti’s existing Lane Departure Warning system (currently implemented on the FX and the 2007 M sedan) one step further by utilizing the Vehicle Dynamic Control to apply slight brake pressure to the wheels opposite the side of the lane departure direction to help prevent the M from inadvertently traveling out of its travel lane.

The M45 continues to offer a 325-horsepower 4.5-liter aluminum-alloy DOHC V8, while the M35 features the award-winning VQ-series 3.5–liter V6, tuned for the M to produce 275 horsepower. For the new model year, both engines will be offered with rear-wheel drive and Infiniti’s intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system. For 2008, previous M Sport models have been replaced by an available Sport Package.

Enhancements to the 2008 M include:
    - New M45x AWD model with intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive
    - Production debut of Infiniti’s Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system
    - Revised front and rear fascia, headlights, grille, rear decklid and taillight design, rear fender panels, new chrome accents
    - New wheel designs
    - Available Sport Package with unique styling, Rear Active Steer (RAS), 19-inch wheels and tires
    - Increased differentiation between Sport Package and non-Sport Package vehicles with unique bumpers, side sills, headlight color and wheels
    - Rain sensing wipers
    - Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System with touch-screen, 9.3GB Music Box hard drive for digital music storage and playback and available XM NavTraffic® (requires active XM® subscription, sold separately)
    - Revised interior and revised aluminum and wood trim
    - Standard High Intensity Discharge (HID) xenon headlights with Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) (optionally available on M35 AWD)
    - Standard climate-controlled seats
    - New Stone interior color
    - New white instrument panel lighting with violet accents and white and violet interior lighting
    - Standard XM Satellite Radio (requires XM® subscription, sold separately)
    - Six new exterior colors (out of eight total)
    while I am sure that the 08 M changes will be beneficial, I think that Infiniti will witness declining sales specifically because they refused to address the gas mileage issue. People have been complaining about this since the car was introduced, and there are some relatively easy solutions to maintain good performance and improve cruising MPG (e.g. six speed transmission). We'll see what happens, but I doubt that their sales will improve because of these changes.
    I have to agree with you 100% Pearl. The gas mileage issue should have been addressed. I don't think they can drop in a six speed auto because they don't have one in the parts bin. Correct me if I am wrong but there are currently no six speed auto Nissans or Infinitis. Perhaps if they had dropped in the revised 3.5 V6 they could have taken advantage of its better torque curve and thus tweaked the gear ratios a little for better economy. Sales are going to stay flat at best or go down.

On a side note I wonder what sort of mpg's the new M45x will yield.
    Really unexciting news! My M35 lease will be up in 15 months and I was anticipating moving into the '08 M...but not with these changes.

1) The obvious negative is no changes to the engine or transmission...Where is the 3.7, where is the 6 speed or CVT...and where is the fuel economy improvement? What is Infinity thinking? I guess they are abandoning the M for 2008 expecting the G to make the money. I am going to bet that the 08 M is a very short model year and the 09 comes out (very) early.

2) White and lavender instruments? I wonder if they did any market research? Sounds incredibly ugly for a luxury car.

3) every M owner I know turns off the current lane change system. With the "improvements" which will cause the car to turn back into the current lane, it sounds almost dangerous if you are actually trying to change lanes. I guess it works, but I can't imagine anyone using it except to demo to friends.

4) Finally, rain sensing wipers....wow, what a technology improvement.

I'll be moving to a Lexus or returning to a BMW for my next car.
  • ohmarkohmark Member Posts: 3
    Any news at to what the new colors are?
    I agree. I have no idea what the heck Infiniti is thinking. I liked the M35X after test driving. I thought that it had much more luxurious appointments over the competitors (BMW 530, Acura RL, Lexus GS, etc. I also thought it had better in handling than the BMW. However, I never drove the car on the open highway. There are too many complaints here about the car revving too high at 70mph. This really concerns me. Even 4 cylinders don't rev that high anymore, let alone a luxury car. I think the excessive engine hum would really get to me on long trips. I had a 91 Honda Prelude that I had to get rid of because of high revs at highway speeds. I swore I would never buy another car like that again. Too bad, because the M was really roomy - something that is also important to me.
    ghstudio, I am sure that you are correct that Infiniti does not have a six speed in their parts bin to "drop in"; however, they have heard the complaints about higway noise and poor fuel economy since the new M was introduced three years ago and have done nothing (including buying one from another manufacturer which many others already do). Nearly all other manufacturers are moving to six speed (or more) transmissions. Even if Nissan/Infiniti concluded that they could not/would not develop one, there are plenty of other things they could do, such as reduce the overall axle ratio, or drop the ratio of the final fifth gear in the present transmission, or try to reduce the vehicle weight, etc, etc. Infiniti seems very arrogant to me on this issue. For 08 there will be numerous other cars with similar performance AND better mileage. To me, Infiniti is behaving like having your neighbor tell you that your house is on fire, but continuing to sit there and watch your favorite TV show.
    I got my M as one of the very first delivered in Tucson ... April 1, 2005. I've not had a moment's problem with it but am very disappointed that they've turned a deaf ear to the myriad of legitimate (and fairly easy to fix) "issues" raised by otherwise very happy owners. Have they fixed the passenger seat? I'll find out today ... mine's going in for an oil change. Gearing not addressed. Fuel economy not addressed. A recipe for taking a stunningly good beginning and turning it into yet another failure. I'd expect this kind of stubbornness from the Germans but not the Japanese. Very distressing. I'll buy American before I buy Infiniti or Lexus (again) if this is the best they can do. 12 months and mine's gone. Bart.
    I had been considering the M35x as a replacement for my '06 330Xi (wanted more room and a smoother ride). From what I had read, there were things I liked about the M35x (handling / performance, looks, value, room), but also some aspects that were causing me to hesitate, primarily highway engine revs, supposedly a little rougher ride than a 5 series, and slighly noisier cabin.

Before I got around to test driving an M35x, BMW announced the 2008 5 series models and I ordered a 535Xi immediately after a test drive (just picked it up last night). I felt the twin turbo engine would make the 535Xi more of a competitor to the M45 than the M35; the M45x was still an unconfirmed rumor; the 535Xi was available now (although it is expensive), and I have rarely seen any criticism of the ride, noise, and handling of a 5 series.

I was also concerned that Infiniti would upgrade the engine in the M35x to either the one in the new G series, or even the 3.7 engine in the new G35 coupe, and did not want to pay that much money for a car that could soon have last year's engine.

The M45x sounds exciting. I'll be anxious to see what others think, and hope I don't get buyer's remorse!

Bruce
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    however, they have heard the complaints about higway noise and poor fuel economy since the new M was introduced three years ago and have done nothing..... Infiniti seems very arrogant to me on this issue. For 08 there will be numerous other cars with similar performance AND better mileage.

I certainly would agree that it would be nice if gas mileage were improved across the Infiniti lineup. However, I'm a little at a loss as to why this is such a gigantic problem for everyone.

As I have noticed in the various threads, most posting here are very capable of computing actual costs of ownership, leasing, etc. So, if you apply that same mathematical ability to actual fuel costs perhaps you'd stop wringing your hands.

1. Assume that you drive 15,000 miles/year, which is greater than the national average of just less than 12,000 miles.

2. Assume that the Infiniti M45 manages only 16mpg in combined driving. Unless you drive incredibly aggressively or on ultra-short hops with cool down periods in between this should easily be achievable. Even when I make mostly 5 mile in-city drives with long cool down periods between trips I can average 16.5mpg.

3. Compare the above mileage to the car which achieves the best mileage of the bunch, most likely the Audi A6 4.2FSI. Allow us to be generous and give the Audi it's predicted "combined" mileage, 20mpg.

4. Cost to fuel the M45 - 15,000/16 * $4/gal = $3,750/yr.
    Cost to fuel the A6 - 15,000/20 * $4/gal = $3,000/yr.

So, assuming even worst case scenarios for the M45 (short hop all city driving) and using the EPA combined figures for the A6, you find that you'd spend an extra $750/yr for gas on the M45 assuming $4/gal gas. I can guarantee you, at least in my case, the actual spread would be far less than this.

Now, let's compare MSRPs of the bunch when similarly equipped. M45 Sport - $56,750, BMW 550i - $71,000, MB E550 - approx $74,000, and Audi A6 4.2FSI - $64,000. With most of you driving your cars 3 years or less, the additional fuel costs would not come close to matching the price difference of the cars.

MSRP, as a measure of cost, can often be misleading due to resale values of the cars. The old, poor resale value argument against Infiniti no longer applies when you look at current figures for the M and G especially. The M has held it's value as well as the BMW 5-Series and has actually surpassed the MB E-Class and Audi A6.

BMW's routine practice of sub venting leases may bring the actual out of pocket costs over the course of a lease close to the M45 so it might be possible to claim that the thirstiness of the M is detrimental. However, if you look at the EPA estimates for the 550i, they are actually lower than the Infiniti M.

As to the matter of high revs and accompanying noise, I've found this to be a concern in the M35 only. Even though the M45 is above 2,000rpm at speeds greater than 60mph, noise is not a factor. The only reason noise is a factor in the M35 is Infiniti's choice to equip the M35 with an aggressive chip set that boosts the exhaust note. I personally would remove that chip set from all M35 models excepting the M35 Sport. I truly believe that more people in the luxury market would seriously consider the M35 if it were quieter. Infiniti has had no problems moving their available M35 inventory without deep discounting or incentives though so perhaps they know better than me.

Finally, I would caution against solely focusing on the features of a car that affect you negatively. While you consider Infiniti "arrogant" for not changing the features you have mentioned, how do you feel about their ability to deliver all the features that this car has for anywhere between $6,000 and $17,000 less than their competitors? I'd say they've done quite a good job of delivering this car at it's price point.
    I'm behind the times. The passenger seat WAS converted to full function last year. I'm still leaning to "transportation" over "recreation" when this lease is up. When I go back over the many "fun" or "luxuty" cars I've leased over the years and tried to assess the REAL pleasure my extra $$$ bought me for 7K miles per year I've come to realize that each of those toys lost their lustre after a month or two and almost invariably I was looking for the next thrill to lease next time around! As the Pennsylvania Dutch say: "Vee get too soon oldt und too late shmart". Bart :cry:
    I think your analysis is good; however, one should not assume that just because someone can "afford the gas" that they want to burn it. The point has been, and continues to be, that from birth, the "new M" has received numerous accolades, but has also been consistently criticized for 1)poor fuel economy, and 2) noisy interior when compared to its competition. While there can be many reasons for this, one thing that always leaps out is that Infiniti has chosen very high (numerically) gearing both in terms of rear axle ratio and transmission apparently to enhance acceleration. Well, they definitely succeed in the latter, but got the gas/noise complaints in return. Many people, who otherwise like the performance have wished that Infiniti would get around to "fixing" (or at least improving) mileage and noise and one quick way to do that is to cut RPMs at highway cruising speed. Again, several ways to do this including a six speed transmission (with O/D sixth), or lower (numerically) fifth gear in the existing transmission (cheap solution). Changing the rear axle ratio would do the same but would also lower performance. Other things including engine mods could be considered too.

Lots of people were hoping to see some of these improvements for the 08 model year - but Infiniti chose to do nothing in this regard. Whether they are "arrogant" or "foolish" or "have done a good job" is in the eye of the beholder; however, it is hard to see how they will sell more Ms for 08 without having addressed these consistent complaints.
    it is hard to see how they will sell more Ms for 08 without having addressed these consistent complaints.

Pearl: The TRUE test of what they have or haven't accomplished is retention of owners who move into their next car as leases on the '06 model expire this year. Repeat business is a better barometer of success or improvement than raw sales numbers, although the raw numbers translate into dollars. But that is short-lived ... if people leave the M badge for Lexus or (perish the thought, BMW or MB) the message will be quite clear that they've shot themselves in the foot AGAIN by not fixing the fixable.

Bart :shades:
  • whtcts0713whtcts0713 Member Posts: 1
    I am really interested in purchasing an 08 M but all this talk is starting to turn me away. My main question is: Is this problem only on the M35 or also the M45?(I plan on buying a 45)
    Mine is a 35 Sport ... and I don't understand the interior road noise complaint. I haven't experienced it in > 2 years, and with the 19" tires I should be getting more road noise than the base car's tires give. The passenger's seat has been addressed. The 5-speed tranny does rev fairly high and there's no way this is an economy car. I got ~ 16 mpg for the first 10K miles in local commuting and beyond that I've gotten 17.5 ... and I'm stop-and-go to and from the offices and home so my mileage is as bad as it can get. (I'm also not sympathetic to those who whine about gas mileage when they drive a $50K+ car.) Perhaps it's fair to make the comparison between the M and possibly the Lexus G similar to the difference between a Corvette or Porsche and a Lexus coupe. One's fun to drive, nimble, with a bit more road feedback ... the other's softer/heavier and NICE to drive but by no means FUN to drive. I like driving my car, not riding in my car. No one's complaining about quality ... no one's complaining about the driving experience. Make your own decision based on material time behind the wheel of a demo car ... cars are, to be quite frank, very personal choices. Good luck. Irrespective of your decision it's certain you'll be happy with it. Bart :shades:
  • badboymiabadboymia Member Posts: 6
    Hi, if you make the decision to purchase an M you def will not go wrong you will be getting standard XM or Sirius Satellite as a standard option on the 08 M, plus you are getting a great car, I ve had my 07 M35 for goin on 2 months, and I love it, I am getting the attention I deserve, plus, the respect, this car is def an attention getter, espcially with the ladies! Compared to other cars, you will not go wrong, BMW is pure performance, but the interior is no where near as nice as an M, Lexus is full of themselves, good performance, good handling, but there financing is a complete joke! I went to test a GS450 and the sales guy tired to talk me into a measley IS250 and quoted me a price of $799 excluding tax, plus the luxury appointments and performace cannot compare to an Infiniti. My advice to you is go test drive an 07 M45, the car will not be changed until 09 or 10. When u test drive open out the engine shut off the sound system listen to the gears, try to feel the gears shift you wont! Take it on the freeway open out the engine the accleration is WONDERFUL, this car flies like a bird!!!! This vehicle is very astheically desinged, and can rank up against any lexus, BMW, or MB in its class, they just need to build a track record, and the rest will be history. Infiniti needs to put that new VQ engine (turbo V6) that will be in the Nissan Skyline GT-R in the M35, that engine produces 480 bph, opposed to the VQ35D which is in the current M35 which produces 280 bph. If you want a Benz, then your payin for the name same with BMW expect you get a little more hp and performance, lexus your just payin for the name the car will be a piece of [non-permissible content removed] within 2 years i gurauntee! Infinit is built like a tank, but performs like an S 550, with the stylin accolades, and the attention getter ability of a pure luxury sport sedan!!!
  • archaicrelicarchaicrelic Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the release date for the '08 M is?
  • apilz_35apilz_35 Member Posts: 4
    I spoke to Infiniti customer service, The date that the new 2008 M will be available is NOVEMBER 5. The original Date was September 28.
This discussion has been closed.